Doumyouji Tsukasa vs Hanazawa Rui

Talk about the culture and entertainment from Nihon.

Who is your favourite?

Doumyouji
55%
Rui
30%
I can't decide since both are great
11%
None of them / Some other F4 member
4%

Total votes: 305

sadotsu

Post by sadotsu » Nov 9th, '05, 06:10

x_XJules wrote:
donna8157 wrote:
sadotsu wrote:I like guys who aren't afraid to hit girls.
That just sounds wrong on so many levels.
that statement is really easy to take out of context, but i think i understand what she means. it's hard to explain in a way that won't sound bad, i know she doesn't mean a guy who beats some helpless girl. more or less a guy who treats a girl equally..
Yes! That is what I meant! Thank you.

apples

Post by apples » Nov 9th, '05, 06:30

Kathleen wrote: @apples: He's always been sort of a psychopath. I don't think that part of him ever changed throughout the story. But... uh... will you call the police if I tell you that this actually kind of attracts me? ^^;
Oh, and since you mentioned the scene at the airport, didn't you find him kind of cute in the episode when
he waited for Tsukushi for 4 hours in the snow and got sick
?
don't worry.. i feel the same way. when i realized that he would go to hell and back for her (even way before he said it himself) just melted my heart.

actually i loved that part!
i mean, he was angry not because he waited four hours in the snow, but because he was just worried if something might have happened to her.

non-angelical

Post by non-angelical » Nov 9th, '05, 07:11

x_XJules wrote:
shiruchan wrote: For a 17 years old guy, he may look mature, but as for a 22 years guy, he seems to be a kid yet.
He's only 17?!?!?!?!
NOOO jun is 22. But in HYD, Doumyouji is 17.

candie

Post by candie » Nov 9th, '05, 08:40

I haven't seen much of the drama to really determine who I like best. But for now I'll choose Domyouji, even though I drool whenever I see Rui. >.<

Domyoujji's a very interesting character and you can see he will change a lot throughout the series. It'd be great to see that development and who he really is. So, I'm more fascinated by his character rather than actually like him, which is how I feel for Rui. So, don't let me down Domyouji! ^_~

anyala

Post by anyala » Nov 9th, '05, 08:59

sadotsu wrote:
x_XJules wrote:
donna8157 wrote:
That just sounds wrong on so many levels.
that statement is really easy to take out of context, but i think i understand what she means. it's hard to explain in a way that won't sound bad, i know she doesn't mean a guy who beats some helpless girl. more or less a guy who treats a girl equally..
Yes! That is what I meant! Thank you.
r u trying 2 say that u like man who take charge??

sadotsu

Post by sadotsu » Nov 9th, '05, 09:58

Jesus... no! I just meant that I don't like it when guys don't take me seriously because I'm a girl. Like, they think I'm weaker than them or something. So when guys refuse to fight with me, I get really mad.

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Nov 9th, '05, 10:47

sadotsu wrote:Jesus... no! I just meant that I don't like it when guys don't take me seriously because I'm a girl. Like, they think I'm weaker than them or something. So when guys refuse to fight with me, I get really mad.
I got your point from the beginning but I still think this is something you shouldn't generalize. I've no clue about your physical strength. You may have your black belt in karate or something which certainly does make you be on equal footing with quite a number of guys. But generally girls are shorter, weaker and of a smaller frame than boys are. This is a biological fact. Therefore in general I think it's rather appropriate to say you should only hit someone of about the same physical build. :P (... which men and women usually aren't.)

xKiMix
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by xKiMix » Nov 9th, '05, 10:59

Since we are talking about the manga i would have to say Doumyouji!!!!! At first he doesn't seem that appealing but later on in the manga, he starts to grow on you and the next thing you know you absolutely love him!!!! But if we were talking about the actors both taiwanese :wub: and japanese :wub: i wouldn't know who to pick, i like them all!!!!

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Nov 11th, '05, 02:20

I wouldn't exactly say he appealed to me as in terms of being attracted to him. I simply found his character the most interesting as I thought: Wow, what an as***le to go against a girl like that! :mrgreen:
As for me I'd rather learn more about the major as***le over the reserved as***le which Rui was to me at the beginning.
As the story continued I did come to really like Doumyouji though. (I think that goes without saying by now.)

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Nov 21st, '05, 21:28

@apples: I know I'm kind of slow but I noticed your post only now.
What exactly do you mean, you realized he'd go through hell even before he said it? Are you referring to the time in Canada?
apples wrote: actually i loved that part!
i mean, he was angry not because he waited four hours in the snow, but because he was just worried if something might have happened to her.
Totally of your opinion. Well, that was the whole point of having him waiting for her so long, I guess - to prove there's a actually a really kind side to him, too. If he'd waited for her over 4 hours for no particular reason, he'd be pretty miserable. And dumb. Make him worried about her, and he's hot instead. :D
Btw, your signature rocks. Sachio rocks!

mms

Post by mms » Nov 21st, '05, 22:47

tsukasa wins my vote. he's up to ep5 the better man in the series.

ayumi

Tsukasa vs Rui

Post by ayumi » Nov 22nd, '05, 08:17

I can't choose! Both of them are really cool!!

In this drama, I think Tsukasa is better than Rui. Rui is too quiet and boring...besides he's left. Tsukasa is an idiot sometimes but I think it'll be more enjoyable time with him :-)

Actually Rui(Shun Oguri) is my type though :wub:

apples

Post by apples » Nov 22nd, '05, 12:51

Kathleen wrote:@apples: I know I'm kind of slow but I noticed your post only now.
What exactly do you mean, you realized he'd go through hell even before he said it? Are you referring to the time in Canada?
I think I realized it when he did was waiting out in the cold... and yeah, he even proved it when he went after her during that blizzard. Rui didn't even go even though he seemed to be worried.
Kathleen wrote:Totally of your opinion. Well, that was the whole point of having him waiting for her so long, I guess - to prove there's a actually a really kind side to him, too. If he'd waited for her over 4 hours for no particular reason, he'd be pretty miserable. And dumb. Make him worried about her, and he's hot instead. :D
Btw, your signature rocks. Sachio rocks!
Yepyep.. usually if you've waited over an hour you would start thinking your date stood you up.. one would usually start asking what's wrong with them for the other party not to show up. he/she would start feeling uncomfortable and rejected. but tsukasa wasn't thinking about himself or his feelings, instead all he was thinking about was what could possibly have happen to makino to be so late.

thanks.. that scene was cute!!!! but the impact is sorta different without the little background music.

maea_maie

Post by maea_maie » Nov 22nd, '05, 14:18

absolutely voting for Damyouji! His negative attitude doesn^t count for me and i really don^t mind, it^s How he is when he fell inlove what i like and care the most. it absolutely erased all the negatives and would juz helplessly like him with no options at all.

hmm_yeh

Post by hmm_yeh » Nov 23rd, '05, 03:48

Hands down DOMYOUJI! He is just toooo adorable!!! Damn those cute as$ curls and his expressions in the manga and anime!He is absolutely my all time favorite character! Though he's reckless, his passion wins me over, not to mention those cute expressions!!! Gawww.. Reliving the anime! :wub:

Amuro

Post by Amuro » Nov 23rd, '05, 03:58

Nishikado Soujiro.

....what? :lol If only there were enough episodes to show his past like in the later volumes of the manga. *cry*

makino

Post by makino » Nov 23rd, '05, 04:21

Doumiyouji all the way!!! :heart:

When I first started reading the manga I liked Rui, b/c he wasnt a jackass like Doumiyouji was. But as the manga progressed Rui's character started becoming less and less charming ( he has a sweet side to him thats cute but the downside is that hes to wishy-washy, can't express himself, and doesn't know what he wants for himself....how is he suppose to know whats good for makino if he can't even handle shizuka! )
Doumiyouji on the other hand proves his love for makino time and time again (i love the way he takes care of her ^_^). His childish attitude comes off as being really cute. Overall he is the best :lol

hmm_yeh

Post by hmm_yeh » Nov 23rd, '05, 21:58

Gehh.. I used to get so annoyed at Makino for not realizing how Domyouji felt for.. though he has shown her in so many different ways countless times! Geez! C'mon now! Besides Domyouji's so passionate and adorable!!

sillypanda114
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by sillypanda114 » Nov 23rd, '05, 22:12

I like Rui! He's so calm and gentle... I don't really like domyouji because he's so... i don't know. Haha... I just don't really like him. XD but of course.. i'm still at the beginning of the story.. so who knows. i might change my mind.

hmm_yeh

Post by hmm_yeh » Nov 23rd, '05, 22:28

sillypanda114 wrote:I like Rui! He's so calm and gentle... I don't really like domyouji because he's so... i don't know. Haha... I just don't really like him. XD but of course.. i'm still at the beginning of the story.. so who knows. i might change my mind.
Are you basing it on the Japan drama?! G'yea I think you should watch the anime, they show more interactions between the 3.. I can understand why you'd not like Domyouji, but you'll see how sweet he is in the later episodes [well at least I hope they show his sacrifices!]

Gehhh.. the
part in the restaurant when he said "b/c you're the girl I approve of" to Makino
I almost melted into those eyes! So passionate! [well atleast Matsumoto did a great job at that!!] *Swoon :wub:

Karo
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Karo » Nov 24th, '05, 23:44

I am for Domyoji!!! ^____^
He's more fun and not that a boring character...
... with the same face expression all the time... ^^ like Rui... ^-^

hmm_yeh

Post by hmm_yeh » Nov 25th, '05, 00:14

Karo wrote:I am for Domyoji!!! ^____^
He's more fun and not that a boring character...
... with the same face expression all the time... ^^ like Rui... ^-^
G'yeaa! I agree! And he's adorable too! Those little itsy bitsy things he does are just lovable!

gemplee

Post by gemplee » Nov 25th, '05, 03:17

Hi all,

I was first introduced to HYD when my friend gave me an abridged version of the manga. Later, I watched the anime and can't help myself from liking Domyoji (right from the beginning) cos his character is larger than life and he was soooo sweet when he fell in love with Makino.

I find Rui too wishy-washy. I would be totally bored with such a man (if he were real). Sorry to Rui's fans out there.

I especially like Jun's protrayal of Domyoji in the Jap version. Abosolutely love the way he looked at Makino in the restaurant scene when he said that if she loves Rui then Rui would definitely love her too. Those hypnotic eyes. HOT!

athida

Re: Doumyouji Tsukasa vs Hanazawa Rui

Post by athida » Dec 1st, '05, 09:26

DEF Doumyouji!!! :w00t:

In the beginning of HYD, he was really mean and arrogant, more so than Dao Ming Si in Meteor Garden. But even a bad boy like that grows on you... :wub: All cuz of his love and devotion... I love his character!
Last edited by athida on Dec 2nd, '05, 23:38, edited 1 time in total.

*kawaii*

Doumyouji Doumyouji Doumyouji

Post by *kawaii* » Dec 1st, '05, 10:53

Doumyouji for sure
i like him in the manga
and now i like him
in the drama

^_^

red velvet

Post by red velvet » Dec 1st, '05, 23:24

When I first got into the Hana Yori Dango anime I really never liked Rui. I mean...I know he's supposed to be quiet, but he was always just so boring. Like I know that he internalized a LOT, but it was just the fact that he never did or ran after anythin he wanted it. Like for him, what was the purpose of being alive? He kinda always seemed to take whatever life gave him and kinda just ran with it. That annoyed me, greatly.

In the manga, it was the same, but like worse. All the back and forth with the two also pretty much annoyed me as well since there was really no reason for Tsukushi to ever really like him. He never really did anything, I felt, to show just how much he loved her except for
when they had that basketball game when he got red tagged
, but I felt that was more about the F4 then Tsukushi actually. It is very true that even though he wanted Shizuka he couldn't handle her and ran away.

I think that Hanzawa Rui in the j-drama is MUCH better. Like, at one point, I was convinced that he needed to be the one to be with her and considering how much I hate him that was freaking amazing. In the new show, Rui seems to have more personality now and I can see how Tsukushi could actually be interested in him. (Maybe I', impartial because of Oguri Shun. lol) Though I still think that the wait to see him develop AFTER Tsukasa kinda jips him in the end since Tsukasa always ends up stealing the show.

Tsukasa, on the other hand, I have have ALWAYS liked him, even from when he was being a pompous jerk, because he was just so much more interesting. He almost seems to be the polar opposite of Rui. Tsukasa's always had much more life, passion, and depth as a character. We've seen him change and mature completely for Tsukushi as the manga/anime/dramas went on. I felt that he was always willing to go the extra step and make sacrifices for her. I mean, IRL it would be disturbing, but anyone willing to kill for you or take a butt whooping for you isn't just a passing crush, but real love.

I think that since he's not that smart or able to convey what he wants to say properly he let's his actions do the talking for him. I do agree that as the story continues you can't help to love Tsukasa's character more and more. I mean, though I am glad that they cut out that part when he tried to rape her in the drama, I felt that even as the story continued I could even forgive him after that. I think that Tsuakasa has always been victor when it came to character development seeing how he never got boring and his character never dulled seeing that his actions were pretty unpredictable. The one thing that never changed was how far he would go for Tsukushi.

Now in the drama, they've managed to keep him the same and I think that I'm falling for his character all over again. I think that they've been doing an excellent job with him, showing him to be the passionate and yet pretty violent dork that he is.

ohsosweet

Post by ohsosweet » Dec 2nd, '05, 03:29

rui is boring but sweet/shy? jun is compassionate. SHUN OGURI on the other hand is good looking.

Zanbonzakura
Deactivated

Post by Zanbonzakura » Dec 2nd, '05, 19:14

Domyouji for the win! :)

quikbunny

Post by quikbunny » Dec 2nd, '05, 19:22

Having read the manga (most of the way), watched the anime and now seeing the JDrama for it (Sorry never watched Meteor Garden) I have and always will like Domyouji... he just has this air about him.. Not that Rui is a bad guy, but for the type of personality that Tsukushi is, he would just kind of hold her down.

I agree though Rui is much more likeable in the drama.. like they gave him a tiny spark that he's never had before. And oh my goodness they just added to my Domyouji love even more ... I have got to say his fashion style in the drama is very very cool compared to his fashion style in the manga LOL.

rosetyler
Deactivated

Post by rosetyler » Dec 2nd, '05, 19:26

Dommy!! I love Dommy!!!!!

jaycee05
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by jaycee05 » Dec 2nd, '05, 19:34

red velvet wrote:
I think that Hanzawa Rui in the j-drama is MUCH better. Like, at one point, I was convinced that he needed to be the one to be with her and considering how much I hate him that was freaking amazing. In the new show, Rui seems to have more personality now and I can see how Tsukushi could actually be interested in him.
I agree...after he came back from France, you could just see how he had changed...the grief is like oozing out of him, poor baby :cry: Also take note the fake smile Shun has flashed at the very beginning of ep6. In the jdrama version, I can finally accept it if people say "I like Rui better than Tsukasa"...I didnt feel that when watching MG or the anime....he was just so dry and boring, or autistic...I didnt get that one. I heard people saying that Lei's character as Rui from MG is autistic...and that's why he acts like that.

neena

Post by neena » Dec 2nd, '05, 19:36

I LOVE DOUMYOUJI! I think Rui's a trouble maker! j/k In the beginning of the story I actually thought at Rui and Mkaino were meant to be with one another but then Tsukasa starts to grow on you and you really can't help but fall in love with him even though he's rude and weird. hehehe

strawhatpirates
Deactivated

Post by strawhatpirates » Dec 3rd, '05, 08:22

Domyouji is the best character in Hana Yori Dango. Totally love his style.

tenshi62

Post by tenshi62 » Dec 9th, '05, 09:04

i love RUI!! .. in the manga .. in the tw drama and the jpn one too !! .. hes so cute .. how can u not love him ? lolz ..

Harmonycloud

Post by Harmonycloud » Dec 9th, '05, 22:57

I am up to episode 7 and so far I love Rui :wub: I think he is far more attractive than Domyouji...Domyouji is too quick tempered and that drives me crazy. But Domyouji does get points some point because of his amazing fighting :P But I find Rui to be more of a gentleman and his hair is adorable! :heart:

techie
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by techie » Dec 9th, '05, 23:01

Domyouji rules.. :lol
Just hillarious how he entered his own name as "His Highness" in the cellphone he gave to Makino. Sort of something I would have done too I bet... :P

Rui is just to caught up in the past.

wing_wing1

Post by wing_wing1 » Dec 9th, '05, 23:16

Harmonycloud wrote:I am up to episode 7 and so far I love Rui :wub: I think he is far more attractive than Domyouji...Domyouji is too quick tempered and that drives me crazy. But Domyouji does get points some point because of his amazing fighting :P But I find Rui to be more of a gentleman and his hair is adorable! :heart:
i agree with you, having read the manga as well (what a shame i can't find a torrent to d/l the anime) i think i still prefer rui..... in eps.7 when he had the fight with tukasa i think rui's fighting skills is very very good too.... can't believe he can still look like a total gentleman even when he's fighting..... i can feel how much he cared about makino in that eps in a great deal (even though he DID say that he made tukasa misunderstand him cuz of the stupid apple story)..... he really really moved me....

not that i dont like tukasa (i LOVE JUN!!) but i would much prefer rui rather than tukasa if i were makino.... :w00t: :w00t: :w00t:

whisperss_57

Post by whisperss_57 » Dec 9th, '05, 23:18

i looove Domyouji's sorta forwardness its so funny to watch him try to be nice but he still comes off like harshespecially when
he refused to admit he beat nakatsuken (sp?) up for tskushi ^__^
domyouji ROCKSSSS and is matsu jun such a good actor :wub:

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Dec 9th, '05, 23:38

techie wrote:
Just hillarious how he entered his own name as "His Highness" in the cellphone he gave to Makino. Sort of something I would have done too I bet...
This is the problem with translations. "His Highness" isn't an accurate translation to what he actually wrote: "Ore-sama" which basically means "I" / "myself" in a very rude and downlooking way. But as there is no such term in English they made "His Higness" of it, which is okay but not really correct. So, I wonder... would really save your own telephone number under the name "I"? :nuts: I think this is just Doumyouji being a little silly again. Hehehe.

@red velvet: I absolutely like your post. I feel about the same about Rui though I think he was mostly boring and kind of annoying at the beginning. Later on he got himself some spark when he had those very surprising outbursts, especially when he shouted at Umi. I couldn't quite forget that he once betrayed Doumyouji since friendship and loyality is a really important thing to me, and once people disappoint me in that matter I'm always kind of careful with them. :sweat: Anyways, apart from what he did back then he's a really good guy and always there for Tsukushi when Doumyouji cannot.
I admit though, I like him a lot better in the drama, too. Still, the friendship issue is what makes me decide wheather or not I like a person (fictional and non-fictional).

@whisperss_57 His name spells "Nakatsuka". The rest of what you heard is "kun", a suffix like "mister" but in rather familiar and informal terms.

nikoru

Post by nikoru » Dec 10th, '05, 14:13

Doumyoji Tsukasa ni kimachoru!

I have liked Doumyoji since I first started reading the comics.... 10 YEARS AGO!

At first I didn't like Hanazawa Rui that much but as the comics went on over the years I loved how his character had developed. I loved how he stuck up for Tsukushi when Domyoji lost his memory of Tsukushi. I love how Rui followed Tsukushi to New York when Doumyoji suddenly left just because he was a 'little worried'. And I love how Rui laughs alot towards the end of the comics because of Tsukushi. I also adore his randomness. And he is contartly lethargic like me.

But Duomyoji is the Mr.Darcy of Hana Yori Dango..... Arrogant, straight forward, loyal, rich and a complete sweet heart underneath. Not to forget gorgeous. (As an additional note I reckon Hana Yori Dango fans would appreciate Pride & Prejudice UK drama)

The drama at first was a little dissappointing because I didn't imagine Doumyoji to be so short... And asian looking! *lol* But I got over that pretty quickily and I am now a Jun of Arashi fan. *tehehe* Rui is cool too. But to be honest I watch the drama like its nothing to do with the comics -otherwise I can't stop critisizing the show when I just want to enjoy it. Wakaru~?

I mean in the comics Ayano is the arranged fiancee of Amanosuke 'Kinsan'.... And Doumyoji's is Shigeru!! Mechakucha! And he gets kidnapped! Omoshiroi!

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Dec 10th, '05, 14:48

nikoru wrote:when Doumyoji suddenly left just because he was a 'little worried'.
What do you mean, "a little worried"? I don't care much for the NY arc either but the last thing we "hear" him say before he leaves is that he will come with them but they mustn't hurt Makino. I think he realized he arrived at a point where there's no way to escape from his mother anymore. Things have become very serious as Yuuki's and Kazuya's father's were laid off at work before, but this time Doumyouji promised Makino to protect her no matter what. So he only went in order to help her. He could have cut ties with his family from the beginning, but then again it's pretty much true that he has no place to go, no money and no work to live from. As he grew up learning money is like the most important thing he probably doubts he won't be good enough for Makino anymore if he's as poor as she is (or probably even poorer as he doesn't even know how to work thus to make money).
The only thing that really bugged me about the NY arc was that Doumyouji sent her away like that. As far as I understood his mother's condition was to send her away, she didn't say anything about being cold or anything. Also I'd like to have at least a hint or something that he was going to write her a letter once she's out of his mother's sight, that explains her the whole situation. My guess is, even if he was to do that, he felt so bad after he sent her away (he was about to throw up) and especially after the incident at the airport that he didn't feel like having the right to expect anything from her anymore.

As for the drama: Impossible to watch it as Hanadan. You're totally right, Doumyouji isn't like that. I mean, Jun's acting is great and everything but he just isn't frightening but rather cute when he shouts and runs around. Moreover he's so thin... Frankly spoken I don't feel attracted to him at all, as I can't find him very manly. It was only yesterday when I realized that even if I tried to forget about the manga, I still cannot fully enjoy the drama as it's too cramped with various happenings that there's something missing. Like a storyline or something. That aside it's strange the F4's attitude changes like that within such short time (they were the school's bad boys and now they are as social to help out some elderly lady and stuff) and that Doumyouji's love for Tsukushi grows that strong from one episode to the other. The special thing about the Hanadan romance is that it grows slowly and carefully which makes it the more beautiful in the end, and you feel overwhelmed with emotions in behalf of the characters who waited for a kiss or a certain phrase for so long.

But it's cool you started reading the story 10 years ago. (It hasn't even been 10 months since I first watched the anime, and I read the manga even later.) How come? Did / do you live in Japan?
Oh, and who's Mr. Darcy? I know only one Mr. Darcy, the Bundy's neighbour but I suppose you're not referring to him. :lol

nikoru

Post by nikoru » Dec 10th, '05, 15:48

What do you mean, "a little worried"? I don't care much for the NY arc either but the last thing we "hear" him say before he leaves is that he will come with them but they mustn't hurt Makino.
I was just referring to the explanation Rui gave to Makino as to why he was there when he found her in N.Y.
The only thing that really bugged me about the NY arc was that Doumyoji sent her away like that.
OMG totally! Especially considering how well they got on on their previous date! I was as angry as Rui when Rui punched him at the airport!
Moreover he's so thin...
I know. Sooo wrong! *lol* We need a powerful strong athletic & sexy Doumyoji!
The special thing about the Hanadan romance is that it grows slowly and carefully which makes it the more beautiful in the end, and you feel overwhelmed with emotions in behalf of the characters who waited for a kiss or a certain phrase for so long.
*nods head* well said.
But it's cool you started reading the story 10 years ago. (It hasn't even been 10 months since I first watched the anime, and I read the manga even later.) How come? Did / do you live in Japan?
I live in Japan 6 months a year and the UK 6 months. Its starnge but basically I'm half Japanese, my parents live in Japan and I was educated in the UK since I was 11 (boarding sch.) so I used to fly back and forth every holiday. Now I work in the UK but came back again to Japan last month. Going back to UK next month but its gonna be OK as long as this site and broadband exists!! 1 comic used to come out every 4 months so I always had something to look forward to when I got back from school. The series ended just as I graduated from University so it was an end of an era in many ways but I was so happy when I heard there was a new drama! I've never been interested in the Taiwan version though, they are all ugly. :P
Oh, and who's Mr. Darcy? I know only one Mr. Darcy, the Bundy's neighbour but I suppose you're not referring to him
*LOL*
Mr. Darcy is a character from Jane Austen's beloved novel 'Pride & Prejudice'. He is not unlike Doumyoji....You should watch the Drama version (not the crap film version that came out this year). I'm not usually into period drama but this one is good - I swear. Even the novelist of Bridget Jones has to incorperate him in the diaries... Not just the actor in the film but the character himself as Mark Darcy.

Did you see this topic http://www.d-addicts.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26018? It was sooo funny, I hope someone uploads it!

wing_wing1

Post by wing_wing1 » Dec 10th, '05, 16:04

[quote="Kathleen]
Oh, and who's Mr. Darcy? I know only one Mr. Darcy, the Bundy's neighbour but I suppose you're not referring to him. :lol[/quote]
referring to the manga, in aisa u can probably read it after it's been out for about 6 months, i used to live in HK when i was little so i read da chinese translation of manga about 6 months after its release from japan.....
also Mr Darcy is the main character of Jane Austen's most popular novel, Pride and Prejudice (omg i cannot believe u dont know about this novel....) in mid 1990's the Brit BBC released a drama series of this novel with colin firth as Mr Darcy, and just a few months ago (early september?) the Holloywood has released a movie version, starring Keira Knightley (Pirates of the Carabeean) and Matthew MacFadyen (BBC Drama Spooks).... n Keira Knightley is SOOOO beautiful in the movie all the way through.....

if you really haven't read it before i strongly recommend you to read it..... i read this in the entire volume when i was 14 in 1 month..... i really really enjoy it, the story line is so beautiful and cleverly set

sorry for rummbering too much about this book but i really really love it lol :goggle:

techie
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by techie » Dec 10th, '05, 16:06

Kathleen wrote:
techie wrote:
Just hillarious how he entered his own name as "His Highness" in the cellphone he gave to Makino. Sort of something I would have done too I bet...
This is the problem with translations. "His Highness" isn't an accurate translation to what he actually wrote: "Ore-sama" which basically means "I" / "myself" in a very rude and downlooking way. But as there is no such term in English they made "His Higness" of it, which is okay but not really correct. So, I wonder... would really save your own telephone number under the name "I"? :nuts: I think this is just Doumyouji being a little silly again. Hehehe.
The disadvantage of not reading phone kanji's.

"We" have to think about that for a while but ... hmmm Tabu... tabu ne..
Attachments
OreSama.gif
OreSama.gif (1.39 KiB) Viewed 5810 times

ninjabunny

Rui, better person to stroll with on a sunday afternoon

Post by ninjabunny » Dec 10th, '05, 17:25

I didn't read all the posts, so if i repeated something sorry.

the eternal "who you prefer, rui or tsukasa question" i love it!

those are two great characters, but I would have to pick Rui over Tsukasa. although i don't like the rui in the jdrama as much as in the manga, there is a scene in episode 8 that really sums up rui's character.
when makino was practicing with a book on her head, she sat down on the floor because she didn't want to continue any longer. Rui came over to her and asked if she would like to rest for awhile, whereas tsukasa started criticising her. I mean that's his way of expressing his love to her, i suppose.
I imagine myself in that situation, as some normal person with no relationship with neither of them. I would really prefer rui's concern over tsukasa's scold and my chance of being called ugly or shoved onto the ground is far less with Rui. I am basing my decision on how I would like to be treated as a human being. Until I see more interaction of Tsukasa with people other then makino and F3, I would have to say I like Rui better.

tsukasa is like the sting/police song "I'll be watching you". the lyrics are very moving but if you think about it for awhile, it's a bit creepy.
Last edited by ninjabunny on Dec 10th, '05, 17:51, edited 1 time in total.

NoUnA

Post by NoUnA » Dec 10th, '05, 17:32

DUHHHHHHHHHH :P

I vote 4 DOUMYOUJI i LUV him soooooooooooooo Much :wub:

tracycutie

Post by tracycutie » Dec 10th, '05, 17:41

tsukasa...no question...

Rizu-Chan

Post by Rizu-Chan » Dec 10th, '05, 18:18

Domyouji. Hands down. <3

cees

Post by cees » Dec 11th, '05, 16:03

ofcourse i voted 4 Doumyouji :wub: ....OMG i cant see my life without him

lafiel

Post by lafiel » Dec 11th, '05, 16:07

rui without a doubt, this is strictly from the anime (ive seen the anime, read the manga (36 vols), watched the unfortunate ballet special, and hyd eps 1-7. From the anime, I could not help but love Rui's antics. He keeps silent, but that just makes is even more amazing and funny when he does something outrageous:

the teddy bear incident with tsukasa
the boat incident with makino

pikanchi_double

Post by pikanchi_double » Dec 11th, '05, 17:42

Even if Matsujun-kun is my favorite actor, if I have to choose a caracter between Rui and Tsukasa, it will be Rui (the personnality)! ^^

lolita

Post by lolita » Dec 11th, '05, 17:54

i vote for Domyouji to0o0 :cheers:

i love his character in the anime :wub:

xLilVietDevilx

Post by xLilVietDevilx » Dec 12th, '05, 04:35

Soujiroh all the way, he's so cute >_<! hes a player but so wat, in the manga his story was really sad =[ i felt sorry for him even though its his fault

Ahiko

Post by Ahiko » Dec 12th, '05, 05:21

I chose Doumyouji because while reading the manga, I had my feelings going toward Rui since the quiet, soft/out-spoken, sometimes rebellious and good-looking guys attract me for some odd reason. xD I love Rui and all, but after Doumyouji's unconditional love, innocence, faithfulness, and straightforwardness [quote Kathleen, post #1], he grew on me and I began to pity him when
Makino began rejecting him for Rui even after all of the things Doumyouji had done for her.
If anything, I'd rather choose a guy who was madly in love with me over a guy I was crushing and who was using me as a rebound for another girl he had been dumped/rejected by.

Doumyouji really has a cute side. :) I love how he has such a hard time expressing his feelings or makes himself look so BAKA when he actually does. ^_^

wing_wing1

Post by wing_wing1 » Dec 12th, '05, 05:27

xLilVietDevilx wrote:Soujiroh all the way, he's so cute >_<! hes a player but so wat, in the manga his story was really sad =[ i felt sorry for him even though its his fault
quite agree with you. but i dont think it is all his fault for not acccepting sarah; afterall, he's the only one who didn't fall for Makino, which makes him kinda stand out.... hehe... i love his character, and although he does not play a big role (in manga and the j-drama) i admire his way of thinking (that if he accepts sarah he will lose her one day and they cannot be frds forever) and he was soooooo sweet even when he was little (that when he and sarah both dropped off the wall, he used his body to protect sarah so he broke his bones or something whereas sarah didnt even get hurt at all!)..... that is just sooooo sweet.... makes me wonder whether tukasa would do the same as well in that situation

all in all, his personality is sooo adorable, and there is nothing wrong in being a play boy, no one pushes girls to him, it is upto the girls to accept him or not right?

easy

Post by easy » Dec 12th, '05, 16:02

I voted for Rui. I like MatsuJun more than Shun, but in HYD it's definitley Rui! I don't like Doumyouji's Hair .. so curly .. it looks so ugly!

dolfina

Post by dolfina » Dec 12th, '05, 19:53

Doumyouji Tsukasa!!!

From Meteor Garden to HYD anime to numerous of HYD fanfictions to HYD live-action (*have not had the opportunity to read the HYD manga yet), I had been always drawn to him. Simply love this arrogant rich brat, the lonely little boy who yearns for maternal love, the kid who learns to love, and desires to be loved in return. His cute curly octopus hair, his passionate snake eyes, his less than perfect Japanese... just adore anything and everything about him.

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Dec 12th, '05, 22:14

wing_wing1 wrote: that is just sooooo sweet.... makes me wonder whether tukasa would do the same as well in that situation
Question: Did you read the manga? Or watch the anime? Or the J-drama? Or at least Meteor Garden? If so you should remember the scene when he lets himself beat up in order to protect Tsukushi which definitely caused him a lot more pain (his rips were broken, how painful must that be...) than a lump at his head. :roll
He also risked his life in the snow storm to find and rescue her (while everyone else was staying at the house). I don't mean to sound hostile or anything but thinking of all he has done for Tsukushi, self-sacrifice is like THE key word I associate with Doumyouji.
and there is nothing wrong in being a play boy, no one pushes girls to him, it is upto the girls to accept him or not right?
Not exactly true. He does fool them by pretending he loves them. Only Yuuki was an exception as he somewhat cares for her, plus he tries to avoid having problems with Tsukushi (what he said himself). Don't get me wrong, I like all of the F4 but I really don't think he's all that innocent just because he once loved someone (and not even in a very nice way).
nikoru wrote:OMG totally! Especially considering how well they got on on their previous date! I was as angry as Rui when Rui punched him at the airport!
Oops, sorry about the confusion. Neways, even though I was really confused about Doumyouji's reaction to Tsukushi I didn't feel angry at him or anything since I was too pissed Rui took advantage of the situation right away and confessed his love to Tsukushi and bought her a flower and everything. It was like he came to NY hoping she would be rejected so that he can finally make his move.
I've gotta say though that I might have thought differently if I had known by then what made Doumyouji act like that. I expected anything, really anything (like a doubleganger or a condition like: "either to break up with her or she'll die") but this was just SO lame. It didn't explain the whole thing about sending her away at all. And if he felt so bad after actually doing it he could've still ran after her. Bah, I'm getting angry only rememberring it. :glare:
I know. Sooo wrong! *lol* We need a powerful strong athletic & sexy Doumyoji!
I agree!! There was a rumour that Tomoya Nagase originally was the first choice to play Doumyouji but the idea was probably dropped due to his age. He has the perfect looks though.

'Wow, you seem to have a very interesting life then. I kind of envy you for having relatives in Japan. Are you fluent with Japanese?
Somehow it's so touching to hear you had been reading the manga over all those years and it finished at the same time when you graduated. I don't know why but it makes me kind of sad. :sweat:
Did you notice the huge Hanadan hype then?
I've never been interested in the Taiwan version though, they are all ugly.
Hahaha. Not only that, none of them can act so it's more on the level of your typical soap opera.
Mr. Darcy is a character from Jane Austen's beloved novel 'Pride & Prejudice
Ooops, I didn't think of Pride and Prejudice.
Btw, I already knew about the Hanadan special as I had read your thread when you opened it but unfortunately nobody seems to have recorded it. Do you by any chance know how to upload a movie to d-addicts? (I know this is a stupid question as you're the one who asked for it in the first place, but I want to leave no stone unturned. hehe)
wing_wing1 wrote: if you really haven't read it before i strongly recommend you to read it..... i read this in the entire volume when i was 14 in 1 month..... i really really enjoy it, the story line is so beautiful and cleverly set
Yes, I do know Pride and Prejudice. Only the movie though. If you recommend it to me that strongly then I guess I should read it in winter break . :D Can't believe you took a whole month for a book, though. Once I'm really into a book I finish it in one to three days (depending on how many pages it has). I'm probably what people call a bookworm. Hehehe. Oh, and it's not too unnatural for me to have never read it as I'm German, and Germany is supposed to be "the country of the poets and thinkers", hence we have a looot of very good literature (probably the only really good thing about Germany though. Lol), so I rarely read any foreign books. And don't mind about talking about the book. I always welcome recommendations. :)
Ahiko wrote:If anything, I'd rather choose a guy who was madly in love with me over a guy I was crushing and who was using me as a rebound for another girl he had been dumped/rejected by.
Exactly my point! I think with all his flaws you just can't help but fall in love with him when he's doing all those awsome things for you. He's not ugly either. (He's gorgeous! :wub: )
Doumyouji really has a cute side. :) I love how he has such a hard time expressing his feelings or makes himself look so BAKA when he actually does. ^_^
Well at least he does express his feelings. Up to the NY arc he's the only guy who does so. Which makes me wonder... Why was Rui being so self-confident when he confessed his love to Tsukushi when he never confessed to Shizuka even though he was in love with her for so long? Is it because he has grown stronger or does he simply love Tsukushi more, or is it because they have a rather relaxed relationship to begin with?

@dolfina: Nice post. :heart: You should really read the manga. Out of every Hanadan version (I know them all except for MG2) it's my favourite by far! What FFs are there you could recommend me? I've read only one until now and I really liked it.
Octopus hair... Lol. Does anybody say this to him? I can't remember.

What a long post! My fingers are hurting... Well, then... I'm off. :salut:
Last edited by Kathleen on Dec 13th, '05, 10:56, edited 2 times in total.

wing_wing1

Post by wing_wing1 » Dec 13th, '05, 02:27

to Kathleen:

yes i believe you could read pride and prejudice if you have time. the hard-cover version i read when i was 14 was really really long and english was my second language. with so much vocabs n long quotations, it look me some time to read the book. i dont really like the film version, it's too short for the book, the story goes too fast, and i was utterly disappointed with the ending :(
anyway, back to the point. yes i have read all the manga volumes, and i read it again in oct this year too. what i am trying to say before is that i believe sojiroh is very sweet in a way, even when he was little, to sarah. had i not rad the managa i wldnt be able to name sarah out right?? (^&^). yes he only beds girls he doesnt love, but these girls should have known from his track record right? i mean, if a girl takes a relationship seriously she wouldnt accept him, even he is so rich or so handsome or what..... it really is up to the girls to accept him or not........ i personally think that because he grew up not being loved but his family (his father had mistress outside and make him attend tea ceremonies for him when he was away visiting his mistress) , that made him develop such a playboy character.
i love tukasa as well, what i tried to get at is that soujiroh seems to be matured at an earlier age (or he started to know how to love someone earlier than the other members of f4? hummm, i donno). i also remembered about the beating up incident from sakurako, and the raining accident too. and i must admit i was really moved, i mean, he is sooo sweet........ but there are times i think he doesn't act in a way that i think he should to tukushi. i esp don't like the scene in NY.
yes, rui acted as if he wanted to get to tukushi in NY but he is also showing so much support to Tukushi..... put it this way, if tukasa was in rui's shoes, can he do that? can he go that far? in the manga, i dont think he can do that.

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Dec 13th, '05, 12:11

@wing_wing:I get your point aboout Soujiro having done something for Sara that Doumyouji wouldn't have back then. But I don't think it's due to their maturity but simply because Soujiro had someone who he could rely on, someone who spend him warmth, who offered him an honest friendship, whereas Doumyouji has been alone the whole time. Therefore there wasn't even anyone he could have protected like that. As he has problems opening up himself (since he was being used for ulteriour motives ever since he was little - according to what he told Tsukushi at Shizuka's birthday party) he cannot really trust anyone. It was only when he was 17 that he met Tsukushi who became of the same significance and value as Sara for Soujiro.
Uhm... As for the girls, I think you kind of misunderstood me. I wasn't referring to whether or not Soujiro loves them, I was simply saying he fools them by pretending he has feelings for them and he is willing to be serious with them even though he is not. I mean, come on, he's handsome, he's charming and he gives each of them the feeling to be the most beautiful girl in the world. It's probably very easy to fall for such a guy. (Though he's not exactly my type. ^^;) Sure, in the end it's up to them if they come with him, and some of them are really stupid, just like the girl that dropped Nakatsuka right away for Soujiro. But some might have seriously fallen in love with him. He did say it happens quite often that he gets slapped by girls whose hearts he has broken, so this must mean they thought he was actually dating them.

I also see what you mean about the reasons why his character developed like that and I mostly agree. But this is only an explanation, no excuse. If I was one of the girls he tricked I couldn't care less wheather his father was a playboy or not. Would you?
had i not rad the managa i wldnt be able to name sarah out right?? (^&^).

It was only a hypothetical question anyway. :roll
but there are times i think he doesn't act in a way that i think he should to tukushi. i esp don't like the scene in NY.
Totally agree. This was so stupid and really pissed me off. Then again, he did it for Tsukushi. This was the only chance he saw to protect her. He was probably feeling as bad as her (he was about to through up, he was dying inside,...), but he didn't even have friends around that comforted him. Neways, I basically dislike the whole NY arc as everyone was acting weird.
yes, rui acted as if he wanted to get to tukushi in NY but he is also showing so much support to Tukushi..... put it this way, if tukasa was in rui's shoes, can he do that? can he go that far?
Totally think he could and would. Remember what he said on the boat when Tsukushi was feeling seasick? He was even willing to wish her good luck with Rui even though he's so totally in love with her. If anyone in the manga is capable of great actions, then it's him. I'm not defending him because he's my favourite character, but he's my favourite just because he is that way. :wub:
ninjabunny wrote: tsukasa is like the sting/police song "I'll be watching you". the lyrics are very moving but if you think about it for awhile, it's a bit creepy.
Kyahaha! This is so freaking funny!! You're right. I wonder why I never realized the song really is kind of psycho... as is Doumyouji sometimes, I admit. :sweat:
As for your choice, I absolutely understand your point. Yet, I'm not sure wheather people would actually choose for the guy who's nice and sweet or for the one who does all those amazing things for them. Frankly spoken, I can hardly believe anyone could resist a handsome guy who sacrifices himself over and over to prove his love. When it comes to the drama though I'd probably fall for Rui rather than for Doumyouji, too. Although I think Shun has some very effeminate characteristics in Hanadan (I never noticed it in his other roles) he's all in all more of a man. Jun really seems like a child in Doumyouji's role most of the time. Also the specators probably don't really get why Doumyouji is saying all those things to her during the time before the contest whereas in the manga it was obvious that he only provoked her in order to make her work at her best. ("Weed power, enter!") In the end Doumyouji's way of supporting her is the more effective but as Tsukushi in the drama doesn't realize it as she does in the manga (at least not as strongly) I do see why you would prefer Rui over Doumyouji if you were in her place. Also Rui obviously likes her by that time whereas he was always rather distant in both anime and manga.
Doumyouji has done some great things in the drama as well but as things were too rushed it didn't leave much of an impression to me.
Last edited by Kathleen on Dec 13th, '05, 12:26, edited 1 time in total.

DragoonKain3

Post by DragoonKain3 » Dec 13th, '05, 12:19

Never really did like the 'bad boy' archetype, nor did I ever really get the 'fighting/bickering=love' cliche. That's why I root for Rui, though its pretty darn obvious he's going to lose in the end IMO.

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Dec 13th, '05, 12:41

DragoonKain3 wrote:Never really did like the 'bad boy' archetype, nor did I ever really get the 'fighting/bickering=love' cliche. That's why I root for Rui, though its pretty darn obvious he's going to lose in the end IMO.
I can only speak for myself, the reason why I like the love-hate relationship is that I personally get bored easily when someone is too friendly all the time. I think as long as they are not overdoing it with the fights (like to bash each other's head or to say things that really hurt the other) it's more lively. Moreover I think such relationships can reveal one's true character. As for me, my best friends are without exception people who I once disliked. It gives me a different feeling to be with people who saw my worst side but still like me. Also I think it's good to know what your friends are like when not being in good terms with you. Of course I also have a lot of friends whom I never argued with before, but I'm always kind of tense around them, like showing them my ugly side would disappoint them or anything. Basically it's just the thing about unconditional love that attracts me about the love-hate. You know, loving someone with all their flaws.
As for the bad boy type, I don't think Doumyouji is an utterly bad boy. He sure was at the beginning, but once he falls in love he changes drastically. I think he's mostly only the bad boy on the outside but regarding all he has done he sure is very, very kind on the inside. And well... I don't really mind people being a little rough as long as they are honest and decent. But since you seem to refer to the drama only, I cannot really put myself in your position as I'm too prejudiced with the manga and anime. :-(
I think I'd prefer Rui though.

inaho

Post by inaho » Dec 13th, '05, 14:10

:cheers: Doumyouji my number one! :cheers:

Omerito, Daimyouji-sama

He could be the coolest guy ever and the sweetest lover anyone could have

sweetxvanilla

Post by sweetxvanilla » Dec 19th, '05, 07:00

Domyouji absolutely,
it was kind of a hard decision because hanazawa rui is always so nice and cuddly looking oO
but domyouji is so sweet inside and caringgg~! even though he can be an ****, and his misspronounced japanese is cute.
at the beginning i was rooting for hanazawa ryu until about ep04 and then i was like awwwwwwwwwww, and the ending of ep05 made me absolutely go for domyouji instead of hanazawa rui.

pankanshe

Lei

Post by pankanshe » Dec 20th, '05, 00:42

I think Lei from the Tawianese version drama was WAY better than the Rui in this drama. I thought Rui's character was poorly acted or was trying too hard to be cool (or wrong cast). Lei, on the other hand, fit his character well and made viewers attached to him. My vote is on the F4 members.. even though I liked Hana Yori Dango better.

babo_ck

Post by babo_ck » Dec 22nd, '05, 05:16

in the manga, i liked rui in the beginning but then you have to love DOUMYOUJI later on. he needs love more and rui is just hung up over shizuka. especially in the jdorama i love DOUMYOUJI!!!!

P0KEY
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by P0KEY » Dec 22nd, '05, 05:18

:: sniff :: everyone is cheering for domyouji.

i voted for both because i think they are both awesome 8)

:: runs away so domyouji lovers won`t beat her to death ::

DragoonKain3

Post by DragoonKain3 » Dec 22nd, '05, 06:14

ROTFLMAO, I actually posted in this thread? I honestly can't remember, though now that I read my post its starting to come back to me. ^_^

@Kathleen
can only speak for myself, the reason why I like the love-hate relationship is that I personally get bored easily when someone is too friendly all the time. I think as long as they are not overdoing it with the fights (like to bash each other's head or to say things that really hurt the other) it's more lively
And therein lies our difference. I find myself being comfortable with someone when things between us aren't too 'lively', because only then that I know I 'understand' the other person. I get uncomfortable I people I usually argue with, because I am always tense restricting my actions as to prevent the next fight.

It's not that I don't 'know' about 'fighting/bickering=love' relationship, but its just I belong on the other side of the fence (the 'understanding=love') . Therefore I can't truly comprehend how it works because my values are different. And believe me, I tried, since I am a participant in a fandom where those two different cliches are (arguably?) present in the original material.

As for the anime/manga, I lost interest in HYD when it became obvious that it was Domyouji who'll win (what you expect? :P). I imagine things are the same with drama (been what, 2 years since I last seen HYD in anime/manga? so I can't recall too clearly), so there's no distinction for me between the three. I've since moved on to manga whose portrayal of love more or less aligns with what I believe is love, namely most of Adachi's series.

As for the bad boy type, I don't think Doumyouji is an utterly bad boy. He sure was at the beginning, but once he falls in love he changes drastically. I think he's mostly only the bad boy on the outside but regarding all he has done he sure is very, very kind on the inside. And well... I don't really mind people being a little rough as long as they are honest and decent
Sorry about the misunderstanding, but that's what I meant. When I said 'bad boy' archetype, it is short form for the 'bad boy with a heart of gold' protagonist archetype (quite a mouthful, isn't it? hence the short form) found in countless forms of media, which Doumyouji falls into. And more often than not, the 'bad boy' and the 'bickering=love' usually fall hand in hand, though not always.

Not that I have anything against those people who like 'bad boy' or 'fighting/bickering=love'. I myself can't resist a particular cliche (the 'childhood friends'), so I am really no different.

capucine

Post by capucine » Dec 22nd, '05, 10:53

Doumyouji~! :mrgreen:

Miko Miko

Rui all the way

Post by Miko Miko » Dec 28th, '05, 00:55

I love the silent type like my boyfriend he was cold and silent at one point but he came out of his shell Rui is one of the best characters in the manga and i loved him in the doramas i would'nt want anyone but him he has so much emotion bundle up inside of him
he just dont know how to realease it he dont want to thats why he pushed her down after holding her he felt something he did not want to feel so RUI ALL THE WAY THE BEST CHARACTER IN HYD!

Tomi

Post by Tomi » Dec 28th, '05, 02:33

My choice is Hanazawa Rui. I like the type of guyus that are quiet and reserved, that almost feel like a mystery ready t obe solved. And he's absolutely adorable when he smiles and very cute. ^_^

HeavenlyxLegend

Post by HeavenlyxLegend » Dec 28th, '05, 08:51

I have to go with Rui. I loved his character more. I loved his quite, reserved personality.

godmode

Post by godmode » Dec 28th, '05, 09:12

Rui is the man.
Frankly, Domyouji is a douchebag and deserves to die alone.

Vanilla_Spider__x

Post by Vanilla_Spider__x » Dec 28th, '05, 10:20

While I support Domyouji & Makino-

Hanazawa Rui was my only love. :D <33 (I even recorded him going "GANBARE!" from the last episode on my cell phone. ^-^)
I was overjoyed when him and Shizuka didn't work out. xDD I was jealous- isn't that horribly sad?

Oguri Shun is too adorable- or at least to me he is. ^-^ I <3'd him in HYD, Gokusen, & Densha Otoko.

xiaowanzi

Post by xiaowanzi » Jan 11th, '06, 16:09

heehee.. i voted for domyouji~ heehee :cheers: