Are there any "gay" dramas?

Discuss about anything here that doesn't fit in the other categories. Just don't spam.
fire_boy

Are there any "gay" dramas?

Post by fire_boy » Dec 4th, '05, 04:52

I was wondering if anyone knew of any japanese, chinese, or hk series that have or revolve around a gay character/s? I have never encountered an asian drama where the main character or one of the main characters was gay. Is there such a drama?

nightfire

Post by nightfire » Dec 4th, '05, 04:56

really good question...
i think that's the kind of thing that happen..... really few :p
curious if someone heard of that :p
since i never saw myself (ive been 2month in korea... watching a lot of dramas:p)

Daijoubuu

Post by Daijoubuu » Dec 4th, '05, 05:16

HK series, alot of them are stereotyped though, maybe they're homophobic?

Net Deception
The King Yesterday and Tomorrow
Take My Word for It

crazylazy_chief

Post by crazylazy_chief » Dec 4th, '05, 06:25

Um, the tw drama, The Rose has a character that's...gay...or bi-sexual. And another tw drama, called Nie Zi revolves the story around a gay teen.

TNF
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by TNF » Dec 4th, '05, 06:30

hey crazylazy)chief....what drama is ur avatar from? :D

back to topic, in kimi wa petto there were 3 "gay" people...the landlord, momo's old trainer, and the person at momo's dance studio. but the man who always follows momo is probably just feminine b/c he liked momo's mom. LOL

Demibaby

Post by Demibaby » Dec 4th, '05, 06:35

Antique is based on a yaoi manga.. about some guys working @ a bakery. Although, I haven't read the manga or watched the jdrama yet... Takizawa Hideaki from Strawberry on the Shortcake is in it.

equang

Post by equang » Dec 4th, '05, 06:36

Are there any non-televised ones around? There's lots of gay anime but very little of it made it to the television. Most of it was released straight to VHS or DVD or on specialty channels that were separate from standard cable packages.

milleu87

Post by milleu87 » Dec 4th, '05, 06:46

i don't think there is a drama that made it to television and revolves around gay people. i watched a series,asunaro hakusho that has a gay person and he likes the main character.it's an interesting twist.

and i think crazylazy_chief avatar's is from a korean series called a love to kill?

love_crisis

Post by love_crisis » Dec 4th, '05, 09:22

Err...I watched HK Gay movie at once but I didn't remember the name of it.
And the point is it sells in a Large DVD Shop in my country! Oh...my friend bought it so I borrowed her.
Ne...it's really romantic. I like it so much. Oh...and love scene is also cute.

Actually I don't know before that HK also have these style but I think ther're a lot of these gay movie in Japan. lol.

fire_boy

Post by fire_boy » Dec 4th, '05, 09:45

I have seen Kimi wa Petto, so I knew about those characters already (although none of them are really gay). I've seen an episode of Antique Bakery, and there wasn't really anything yaoi-ish about it, although I did see some screen caps where Tackey and the main chef looked like they were going to kiss. Seems like there really isn't an asian drama where there is a strong lead/supporting character or that centers on the subject, huh? I wonder why, considering most asian areas, excluding Korea, are really accepting of homosexuality and whatnot.
Last edited by fire_boy on Dec 4th, '05, 09:45, edited 1 time in total.

littlemissfab

Post by littlemissfab » Dec 4th, '05, 09:45

waterboys.. the mama-sans in the bar where they hang out are actually not just openly gay.. but are also trannies....

waterboys2.. there was a gay teacher.

in waterboys the movie there was a gay guy too

nightfire

Post by nightfire » Dec 4th, '05, 14:43

haha i forgot about kimi wa peto ^^
but u right ^^

Myri
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Myri » Dec 4th, '05, 15:08

Umm... there's Yasha too. It's a sci-fi drama but also shounen-ai. It's about two twin brothers, Sei and Rin. Rin loves Sei but Sei loves Moichi (a blind guy)... it's an interesting story, full of suspance and romance. People who dislike shounen-ai/yaoi could enjoy it too because there are a lot of other topics
The actor for Sei and Rin is Hideaki Ito (<3) and for Moichi is Shuji Kashiwabara (Takashi's brother ^O^)

Kirari

Post by Kirari » Dec 4th, '05, 20:23

Gokusen2 is not gay? :scratch: :crazy:

fire_boy

Post by fire_boy » Dec 5th, '05, 07:47

That's right. I forgot about the Waterboys series and movie littlemissfab ^^ Yasha sounds pretty interesting. A sci-fi drama, huh?

Kirari, what about Gokusen 2 do you think is gay? That I know of, there is only one character who is questionably gay, but he is just one of the general students in the class. The one who is interested in fashion and wants to work in a boutique. At least I got that impression from him, hence why I say questionable ^^ And he's not really ever spot-lighted, so I wouldn't really count him too :)

littlemissfab

Post by littlemissfab » Dec 5th, '05, 07:52

i'm curious as to why the waterboys series features them though. is homosexuality still a taboo issue in japan?[/b]

Kirari

Post by Kirari » Dec 5th, '05, 14:16

Kirari, what about Gokusen 2 do you think is gay? That I know of, there is only one character who is questionably gay, but he is just one of the general students in the class.
haha, well none of the characters were openly gay, but I saw way more signs than that. What about those 3 guys from the main five. >_< Can't recall their names, not Ryu and Hayato. There was an eppy where in they were feeding each other. And they showed that gay picture in which the prissy guy was (almost) kissing the tall guy. And every time they were in that bar, there's always one guy lying in another guys lap. XD I'm really not good with names, but watch it again you'll see.

fire_boy

Post by fire_boy » Dec 6th, '05, 04:50

littlemissfab wrote:i'm curious as to why the waterboys series features them though. is homosexuality still a taboo issue in japan?[/b]
I don't know. I'm a little confused about that as well. In anime, it's a common thing for someone of the same sex to like each other. It seems like their society ois brought up thinking that it is no big deal. But then in dramas there seem to be no gay characters, or at least prominantly featured gay characters. It's a little confusing ^^
Kirari wrote:
Kirari, what about Gokusen 2 do you think is gay? That I know of, there is only one character who is questionably gay, but he is just one of the general students in the class.
haha, well none of the characters were openly gay, but I saw way more signs than that. What about those 3 guys from the main five. >_< Can't recall their names, not Ryu and Hayato. There was an eppy where in they were feeding each other. And they showed that gay picture in which the prissy guy was (almost) kissing the tall guy. And every time they were in that bar, there's always one guy lying in another guys lap. XD I'm really not good with names, but watch it again you'll see.
I know what you mean. The "couple" of Gokusen 2 is Tsuchiya and Hyuga. It's true that they are always touchy and affectionate, but I took it as more of a playful thing. And tha part where they almost kissed wasn't romantic or anything. The entire class was really happy and they were running and pretended to "kiss" each other out of happiness. They seem to be really close friends (at least in the series). They are the other "couple" besides Odagiri and Hayato. And also, don't forget about the episode that featured Tsuchiya where he had a crush on that elementary school girl ^^ Their relationship reminds me of the whole Tackey & Tsubasa rabu rabu love. It's the same as that ^^ Where they do all of these yaoi-ish things out of playfulness that people love.

BokuWaShinigami

Post by BokuWaShinigami » Dec 6th, '05, 05:02

This is something that I've been wondering a lot about as well! ^_^

Being a devoted shounen-ai/yaoi/BL/etc. fan, I've always wanted to see some "gay" dramas. =D I found some series on CD Japan that was centered around gay characters (I forgot the name of it. T_T ), and I was going to buy it, but I wasn't sure exactly what it was about, and I ended up not purchasing it. T_T

BUT...I'm always open to suggestions, and it seems like you guys are all pretty good with recalling dramas with gay characters. =)

I'm going to poke around. <3

bluabc
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by bluabc » Dec 6th, '05, 05:11

@fireboy, this would fit ur requirements.
Dousoukai. http://www.jdorama.com/drama.508.htm

Lead character is a closet gay whose in love with his best friend (who is straight)for years. Trying to conform to society norms, he proposes to the ex girlfriend of his best frd (the one he's in love with) since she's the only girl he's even been comfortable with. Guilty with himself for making the proposal, he walks into a gay club in Shinjuku, Ni-Chome and has a one night stand with a teenage male hooker.

The teenage hooker falls in love with our lead character after that fateful encounter. Our lead character tries hard but in vain to have normal marriage relations with his wife after marriage. He starts to have an affair with the male hooker. In the process, his wife discovers his secret, his best frd (his love) discovers that he is the object of affection of our lead character.

Will the wife seek a divorce? What is the best frd's reactiom after learning his secret? His affair with the teenage hooker? You have to view the drama to find out.

This drama is really ground breaking... doubt any station would dare to take on such a challenging theme in today's drama broadcasting climate. It's the first and only time i've ever seen the topic of gay rapes being mentioned in an Asian drama.
Last edited by bluabc on Dec 6th, '05, 05:59, edited 2 times in total.

Felguard

Post by Felguard » Dec 6th, '05, 05:26

What.... the..... f***.....

kanmurikurisumasu

kekekekekek

Post by kanmurikurisumasu » Dec 6th, '05, 05:42

The question is now "Where can we download dousoukai from?" :scratch:

love_crisis

Post by love_crisis » Dec 6th, '05, 11:31

Ok...the previous post that I said HK Gay movie and I didn't remember the title. I remember it. It's 'formular 17'.

chewyz

Post by chewyz » Dec 6th, '05, 11:39

i'm pretty sure formula 17 is a taiwanese movie and yes it was very cute :)

love_crisis

Post by love_crisis » Dec 6th, '05, 11:47

Taiwanese movie! May be I'm wrong because I don't know what language they speak. It's thai version that sold in my country. Sorry.
Hey, it's very cute. I feel shy when I watched the seen that they flirt. :wub: May be I'm 'Y' girl. Hehe... :P

bluabc
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by bluabc » Dec 6th, '05, 12:19

Was downloading something off winny, got reminded of more dramas....

Neverland - (shounen-ai) Batch of cute guys staying in a broading school. One of the juniors boys have a crush on his senpai.

Ningen shikkaku - (shounen-ari) http://www.jdorama.com/drama.283.htm

I would think like in the case of animes, a lot of dramas are pretty slashable.

One of the most famous and popular drama "couple" ever - Makoto x King in Ikebukuro West Gate Park ttp://www.jdorama.com/drama.483.htm. There's a whole shelf of DJs devoted to them in those Harajuku bookstores when the drama aired couple of years ago.

*Lifo*

Post by *Lifo* » Dec 6th, '05, 12:40

( mod edit ) post deleted.

Lifo, please be considerate of the diversity of our community. your post offended our members, and if you make another similar post, your account will be banned.

fairx

Post by fairx » Dec 6th, '05, 12:59

hmm..
Wong Kar Wai's happy together?
but thats HK movie.. won best actor at cannes?

fire_boy

Post by fire_boy » Dec 7th, '05, 04:47

love_crisis wrote:Ok...the previous post that I said HK Gay movie and I didn't remember the title. I remember it. It's 'formular 17'.
Ah,. I think I have heard of that movie before ^^ Too bad movies aren't allowed to be uploaded here.
bluabc wrote:Was downloading something off winny, got reminded of more dramas....

Neverland - (shounen-ai) Batch of cute guys staying in a broading school. One of the juniors boys have a crush on his senpai.

Ningen shikkaku - (shounen-ari) http://www.jdorama.com/drama.283.htm

I would think like in the case of animes, a lot of dramas are pretty slashable.
Neverland sounds interesting. It seems to be a cast composed of Johnny's Ent./Johnny's Jr. members ^^ I will look into the others as well. By the way, I love your avatar! I love Hayami Mokomich :wub: i!!! Happy to see another one of his fans here :mrgreen:
fairx wrote:hmm..
Wong Kar Wai's happy together?
but thats HK movie.. won best actor at cannes?
I don't think I've heard of this movie before. Thanks for the recommendation though ^^

On a side note, is there a good site to download asian movies from? Particulartly some of the movies you guys mentioned :) Sorry if I'm not allowed to ask that here ><;; Maybe if someone knows, they can PM me?

greengreen

Post by greengreen » Dec 7th, '05, 04:50

really there are gay who also has movie, i never see it

pokute
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by pokute » Dec 7th, '05, 04:57

I can't think of any gay themed live action, but as far as anime goes, Kyou Kara Maou is a totally gay themed show, and it at least started out being hilarious (for about 30 episodes), before just fizzling out altogether.

littlemissfab

Post by littlemissfab » Dec 7th, '05, 05:06

*Lifo* wrote:God I HaTe Gays !

And ur looking for Gay series .. i mean what do u like in them ......?! :scratch:
whatever happened to tolerance and open-mindedness?

im sorry. but inasmuch as views in the thread aren't limited, there are some things that should be just kept to one's self.

BokuWaShinigami

Post by BokuWaShinigami » Dec 7th, '05, 05:29

The dramas that have been suggested sound really interesting!

Does anyone know where I can download "Ningen Shikkaku" or "Neverland" (preferrably with English subtitles - if not, then that's okay too)? :O

equang

Post by equang » Dec 7th, '05, 05:41

And ur looking for Gay series .. i mean what do u like in them ......?! :scratch:
Well for one, I myself am in the queer community and it's always lovely to see my crowd represented in popular media. Part of the social alienation of certain groups of people is due to lack of representation in popular media, ie movies, television, et cetera. When you go see a movie or something and you don't see anyone who could in any way represent you, you start to feel a little alone in the world and this can really build up.

Anyways, I love gay people XD I actually live on the gay floor at my college (we're large enough to have one) and it's always a riot.

Don't be a downer. If you hate gay people, get out of this thread.

KameSama

Post by KameSama » Dec 7th, '05, 05:42

If I can shed a little light on this subject with that I know....

(Before someone flames me for generalizing, this is all my opinion based on what I have seen of Japanese culture. I'm not saying that all Japanese people are like this.)

Homosexuality in Japan isn't as such a "taboo", but it comes close. It sort of one of those things that everyone knows is there, but there is one of those silent agreements that no one really talks about it.

I think of it like this, in western countries you generally have one extreme or the other. There are those that actively hate homosexuality, and there are those out there that are very accepting and supportive towards it. Japan is generally neither of those, it's more like "I accept it's there but I don't want to know about it.".

That being said, you still see homosexual themes appearing around the place in popular Japanese culture. Most significant of this is the huge cult following that has spread to just about every corner of the west, "Yaoi" or "Shounen-ai" anime/manga. Apart from that there are well known Japanese movies that are hugely based around homosexual themes such as "Gohatto" ("Taboo") (1999).

Also there's the thing that in ancient Japan homosexuality (or at least bisexuality) was a pretty big thing. It was considered pretty normal for a samurai to be sleeping with both men and women in the same evening. (More info from Wikipedia here.

All that having being said, you can't help but wonder why the Japanese attitude to homosexuality has come to what it is.

equang

Post by equang » Dec 7th, '05, 05:54

KameSama wrote:If I can shed a little light on this subject with that I know....

(Before someone flames me for generalising, this is all my opinion based on what I have seen of Japanese culture. I'm not saying that all Japanese people are like this.)

Homosexuality in Japan isn't as such a "taboo", but it comes close. It sort of one of those things that everyone knows is there, but there is one of those silent agreements that no one really talks about it.
The "taboo" of homosexuality was brought in by the Westerners with their Christianity. Before that, the Japanese have a history of acceptance of homosexuality, as you said before.

Part of the "don't talk about it"ness of the "taboo" (if we're gonna keep calling it a taboo) is just the Japanese way of not discussing private matters. Private matters stay within the family and close close close friends. Private life and public life don't mix at all.
KameSama wrote:That being said, you still see homosexual themes appearing around the place in popular Japanese culture. Most significant of this is the huge cult following that has spread to just about every corner of the west, "Yaoi" or "Shounen-ai" anime/manga. Appart from that there are well known Japanese movies that ar hugely based around homosexual themes such as "Gohatto" ("Taboo") (1999).
The rise of "yaoi" and "shounen-ai" in Japan is fairly easily explainable. The majority of the market (aka just about all of it) are women and they read these comics and watch these anime as a form of escapism. The role of women in Japan today is rather subservient and although they are equal by law, in society, they really aren't. So they escape from all this by watching/reading/whatever-ing something that is completely different from what they know. This also explains the use of the bishounen (pretty boy). Women can more easily relate to a beautiful, effeminate man rather than some hunk of muscle. It really makes sense if you think about it. When you put any kind of media, especially Japanese media, into the sense of escapism, a lot of stuff gets explained XD

equang

Post by equang » Dec 7th, '05, 05:58

Dousoukai
Neverland
Ningen shikkaku

So these are the dramas we're aiming for? Hmmmmm. I wonder if they'd have ripped copies on eBay that we could rip and make torrents out of.

equang

Post by equang » Dec 7th, '05, 06:07

Okay so, uh, I just bought Ningen Shikkaku on eBay on VCD. Unfortunately there are no English subs (but for $12 including shipping, who cares? I'm a Japanese major anyway so I'll understand it anyway). If someone wants to sub/time it, I'll gladly rip it and make it into a torrent. Or if anyone knows Japanese and wants it plain.

KameSama

Post by KameSama » Dec 7th, '05, 06:29

equang wrote:Okay so, uh, I just bought Ningen Shikkaku on eBay on VCD. Unfortunately there are no English subs (but for $12 including shipping, who cares? I'm a Japanese major anyway so I'll understand it anyway). If someone wants to sub/time it, I'll gladly rip it and make it into a torrent. Or if anyone knows Japanese and wants it plain.
Well go ahead and upload the raws. If I like it I'd be glad to sub it.

Prehaps a team effort?

himenajima

Post by himenajima » Dec 7th, '05, 06:42

oh that would be great :D im very interested.I wish i could help but i dont understand japanese well enough.

love_crisis

Post by love_crisis » Dec 7th, '05, 07:16

Ah...if someone upload it, I'll definitely download it. Haha... :lol

v1rgi3

Post by v1rgi3 » Dec 7th, '05, 09:24

i would love to watch it too!!!

and hoorays to equang for his pride in being gay!!!! total respects from me, and *my little secret* : i've always wanted a gay guy best friend, something like will and grace, seems sooo fun... lol

i don't tink that there are a lot of gay asian dramas, especially jap dramas because its a very touchy and somewhat taboo subject and the view ratings would probably not be very high.

but i've noticed during film festivals, there are sooo many films that somewhat touch on this subject.

and since i live in canada, ppl are a bit more opened to things like that...

equang

Post by equang » Dec 7th, '05, 16:14

v1rgi3 wrote:
and hoorays to equang for his pride in being gay!!!! total respects from me, and *my little secret* : i've always wanted a gay guy best friend, something like will and grace, seems sooo fun... lol
Haha, hate to break it to you, honey, but I'm not gay. I'm something else called 'transgender' where the gender of my soul doesn't match the sex of my body. I consider myself a straight male but my two best friends (guys) are gay and there are plenty of gays around to make sure I don't make a fashion disaster out of myself XD *manages to do it anyway*.

But yeah, as soon as the VCDs come in, I'll rip them and torrent them.

equang

Post by equang » Dec 7th, '05, 16:22

Also, Neverland is available on VCD via eBay, however, after shipping, and with Christmas coming up, it's a bit more than I want to spend at this time. If someone else wants to pick it up, rip, and torrent it, now's your chance, lol. Just letting everyone know that it's available.

GhstDreamer

Post by GhstDreamer » Dec 7th, '05, 17:07

Chinese/TW/HK gay themed movies:

Happy Together (I love Wong Kar Wai!)
The Wedding Banquet (it is directed by Ang Lee and he does have an upcoming movie "Brokeback Mountain" another gay themed movie - though American)
Formula 17
A Queer Story
Lan Yu
East Palace, Wst Palace
Bishonen (Daniel and Stephen are the main actors)

Chinese/HK dramas:

20/30 or Love Dictionary
Net Deception (a mother whos is a lesbian and lives with her partner)
The King of Yesterday and Tomorrow

I'm sure there are more but right now I can't think of them...

Japanese Movie:
Gohatto

JDrama:
Love Complex

Yaoi and shonen-ai anime/manga are relatively normalized because they are geared towards women. They often view homosexual relationships as idealized fantasy disconnected with reality. As long as it's not part of the reality, it's accepted. I have yet to see a gay anime that deals with issues surrounding the gay community. The closest was Utena the Movie (Utena discovering her sexuality) but even then it was more or less a fantasy setting.

J-Dramas tend to do almost the exact same thing with homosexual characters as well. The gay characters are often the comic relief characters, transgender - by this I mean the men wear makeup, dress in more feminine clothes and exaggerate female behaviour. There was a very interesting article I read in a anime magazine some years back regarding the issue of homosexuality in Japanese media (mostly in anime/manga) and it was an interview with the director of Utena the Movie.

Romance

Post by Romance » Dec 7th, '05, 17:29

the big mass doesnt like gays so there arent many dramas like that

JessixFFx
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by JessixFFx » Dec 7th, '05, 17:41

Besides the ones that have already been named, the one that still sticks out in my mind is Placebo Cure a Hong Kong series, where the lesbian couple actually was the second lead and had a developed story. Cherie Kong and Eileen Yeow were great in it, and you should give that series a try. After a while, all I could focus on was their love story and struggle and found the main leads to be boring. :D

himenajima

Post by himenajima » Dec 8th, '05, 01:03

this is a good place to check out too they have anime as well as live movies http://www.aarinfantasy.com/ 8) :mrgreen:

himenajima

Post by himenajima » Dec 8th, '05, 01:16

LOL and you had to post that right? i mean that answers the posters question?
Last edited by himenajima on Dec 8th, '05, 01:19, edited 1 time in total.

himenajima

Post by himenajima » Dec 8th, '05, 01:17

BokuWaShinigami wrote:The dramas that have been suggested sound really interesting!

Does anyone know where I can download "Ningen Shikkaku" or "Neverland" (preferrably with English subtitles - if not, then that's okay too)? :O
i think ive seen neverland listed on a clubbox ill look for it for ya.

Spike23

Post by Spike23 » Dec 8th, '05, 01:19

Eww gay drama..
better off watching gay pron, while your at it.

icky... :x

Touichi

Post by Touichi » Dec 8th, '05, 01:33

Hm, you're searching for Neverland?
I do have all the episodes in great WS quality (but the file size is pretty big. each eps is 700 MB).
I could re-up those episodes to my clubbox, if that would help you.
If anyone would be willing to sub it, I could try uploading it here at d-addicts, too. (But my upload speed isn't that great T__T)

BokuWaShinigami

Post by BokuWaShinigami » Dec 8th, '05, 01:37

Omg you guys are the best! ^____^ <3 This is what I love best about the d-addicts community...everyone's so willing to share and help out - and everyone's so nice! <3 Thank you for all of everyone's help! <333

On the other hand, I think that if you have a strong negative opinion about this topic of discussion, I don't really think there is a place for you in this thread. It sort of makes me sad. T_T

Néa Vanille
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Néa Vanille » Dec 8th, '05, 01:46

Spike23 wrote:Eww gay drama..

Japanese gay pron is nice. :mrgreen:

himenajima

Post by himenajima » Dec 8th, '05, 02:42

:thumleft: for taking the time out to write such an intelligent response as misspelled as it is. :thumright: :glare:

amrayu
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by amrayu » Dec 8th, '05, 02:44

Nothing wrong with being gay or bi or whatever. :thumleft:

Wapiko

Post by Wapiko » Dec 8th, '05, 03:09

BokuWaShinigami wrote: On the other hand, I think that if you have a strong negative opinion about this topic of discussion, I don't really think there is a place for you in this thread. It sort of makes me sad. T_T
View them as brainless trolls, nothing more =) Just robots meant to get our blood pressure up. (Even though I'll admit it's hard and I want to slice someone's genitals off now.)

I'm very surprised nobody has mentioned Kinpachi Sensei Season 6 yet - Ueto Aya's character Nao was FTM (Female to Male, or Transgender) before hormones and the operation. He's 15, 3 years too young to even begin hormones. I watched that season solely for the reason of Nao - and DAMN is Aya hot playing him. :whistling:

AAAANYWAY. Her character plays a big part, as the end graduation special is pretty much dedicated to Nao and Nao's graduating, Nao's future, and how the classmates end up treating him. While the parts without Nao can be boring, just skip ahead to the parts with Nao and you'll be good. :thumright:

(God...I loves me some boy Aya)

Sayami

Post by Sayami » Dec 8th, '05, 03:28

I actually bought a really good lesbian themed movie named "Butterfly" it's from Hong Kong and won an award for best Best New Performer Winner, Tian Yuan (Hong Kong Films Awards 2005). It was really good,and the sound track is actually pretty nice to listen to ^^

himenajima

Post by himenajima » Dec 8th, '05, 03:38

Sayami wrote:I actually bought a really good lesbian themed movie named "Butterfly" it's from Hong Kong and won an award for best Best New Performer Winner, Tian Yuan (Hong Kong Films Awards 2005). It was really good,and the sound track is actually pretty nice to listen to ^^
if your looking for lesbian movies and shows. theres a clubbox with a huge collection.

http://clubbox.co.kr/weird25

KameSama

Post by KameSama » Dec 8th, '05, 15:35

Néa Vanille wrote:

Japanese gay pron is nice. :mrgreen:
Hehe, I'm sure he's going to be happy with that response!

Anyway, one can't help but wonder what it is about Japanese homosexuality that has created this sort of cult following even out in western countries.

I'm sure there are shounen-ai/yaoi comics created in the west, I've just never heard of them and have definitley never seen flocks of girls drooling over them...

Néa Vanille
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Néa Vanille » Dec 8th, '05, 18:57

It's an interesting phenomenon indeed. I do watch Western gay movies as well, but I'm really more drawn to writing my own fan fiction about video game characters (Japanese vid games of course) and reading yaoi manga. One big factor is that Japan seems to welcome femininity in male characters way more than Western countries do. In Japan, it seems to be less of a taboo when a guy looks feminine, is skinny and dresses well, whereas I see tons and tons of Westeners (mostly men) complain about 'girly' Japanese actors and video game characters.

I am more attracted to gay couples in which at least one of them seems more feminine (mostly in looks only, though. I like it when they have 'masculine' character traits) and that is more commonly found in Japanese media. Also, Japanese gay media is less perverted and obsessed with sex (since it is aimed at WOMEN, but there are tons of really steamy manga out there, too) than Western gay media aimed at gay men. I once read a gay novel for gay men written by a Biritsh author. It was... downright disgusting, and that's coming from someone who writes gay sex scenes.

:blink

equang

Post by equang » Dec 8th, '05, 20:58

Wapiko wrote:
BokuWaShinigami wrote: On the other hand, I think that if you have a strong negative opinion about this topic of discussion, I don't really think there is a place for you in this thread. It sort of makes me sad. T_T
View them as brainless trolls, nothing more =) Just robots meant to get our blood pressure up. (Even though I'll admit it's hard and I want to slice someone's genitals off now.)

I'm very surprised nobody has mentioned Kinpachi Sensei Season 6 yet - Ueto Aya's character Nao was FTM (Female to Male, or Transgender) before hormones and the operation. He's 15, 3 years too young to even begin hormones. I watched that season solely for the reason of Nao - and DAMN is Aya hot playing him. :whistling:

AAAANYWAY. Her character plays a big part, as the end graduation special is pretty much dedicated to Nao and Nao's graduating, Nao's future, and how the classmates end up treating him. While the parts without Nao can be boring, just skip ahead to the parts with Nao and you'll be good. :thumright:

(God...I loves me some boy Aya)
Where can we get Kinpachi Sensei season 6? I'm particularly interested as I'm FTM myself. Most of the time I have to be satisfied with seeing gay people on the [figurative] big screen because there is a distinct lack of media featuring trannies as serious characters and not just comic relief.

Wapiko

Post by Wapiko » Dec 9th, '05, 00:52

You'll be pleased to know then that Nao was far from comic relief...aside from the punches he threw ;D (but then, those kids all have it coming to them at one time or another!)

I got my episodes here. Do a search for "kinpachi sensei", it should come up with some. They're the ones that are titled "Kinpachi_Sensei_EP_##".I don't know the status of seeders, and unfortunately I download and delete so I can't help. =(

I kind of want to rewatch it again now. One of the two-part episodes had me in tears the rest of the night after watching it. (I think episode 11...) Some of the season is very painful to watch but it's worth it.

EDIT: I've uploaded the caps I took from when I watched it. I had planned on making avatars but never did. =(

They're all in BMP, but here's a sample PNG:
Zip file

equang

Post by equang » Dec 9th, '05, 01:12

Thanks a lot :D Most of the eps have um one seeder right now XD but I'll try to get all the eps :p

BokuWaShinigami

Post by BokuWaShinigami » Dec 11th, '05, 18:14

I remembered that my NEVERLAND VCD with English subbies is being sent soon! =)

I'm kinda..excited! ^_^ WHOO-HOO!

If you guys won't mind ripping the stuff that you have, and maybe having someone sub it, I would be much obliged! =D <3333

kinki

Post by kinki » Dec 11th, '05, 18:29

im too lazy to read all the posts. i didnt see any drama with a story revolve arounds gays in a direct way. and there's a j-drama but if i tell you the title then it'll spoil the whole story since its supposed to be a surprise.

kinki

Post by kinki » Dec 11th, '05, 18:30

Wapiko wrote:You'll be pleased to know then that Nao was far from comic relief...aside from the punches he threw ;D (but then, those kids all have it coming to them at one time or another!)

I got my episodes here. Do a search for "kinpachi sensei", it should come up with some. They're the ones that are titled "Kinpachi_Sensei_EP_##".I don't know the status of seeders, and unfortunately I download and delete so I can't help. =(

I kind of want to rewatch it again now. One of the two-part episodes had me in tears the rest of the night after watching it. (I think episode 11...) Some of the season is very painful to watch but it's worth it.

EDIT: I've uploaded the caps I took from when I watched it. I had planned on making avatars but never did. =(

They're all in BMP, but here's a sample PNG:
Zip file
eh? this picture, is it Aya Ueto?

equang

Post by equang » Dec 11th, '05, 18:34

I'm dLing Kinpachi Sensei now. Also, the one I bought on eBay has been shipped so it should come within a week. Once I get home from uni for Christmas break, I'll seed a batch torrent for a month and a half. I can't do that at uni XD They track how much you upload and download and if you keep uploading more than a GB a day, they cut off your internet.

Wapiko

Post by Wapiko » Dec 12th, '05, 03:13

kinki wrote:eh? this picture, is it Aya Ueto?
You bet it is :mrgreen:

*drool*

milleu87

Post by milleu87 » Dec 12th, '05, 03:16

kinki wrote:im too lazy to read all the posts. i didnt see any drama with a story revolve arounds gays in a direct way. and there's a j-drama but if i tell you the title then it'll spoil the whole story since its supposed to be a surprise.
is it possible we're know the same drama with the same twist? :whistling:

choudori

Post by choudori » Dec 12th, '05, 03:30

I hope someone puts a list together of these. I'm excited to check out a few mentioned! :D For me, it's always fun to find a different twist on the boy meets girl story! :cheers:

neonkinpatsu
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by neonkinpatsu » Dec 12th, '05, 03:37

This is totally off topic but I was just thinking that a Japanese version of Queer As Folk would kick major ass XD

equang

Post by equang » Dec 12th, '05, 04:03

neonkinpatsu wrote:This is totally off topic but I was just thinking that a Japanese version of Queer As Folk would kick major ass XD
You never know. It could happen. Germany's got the license now and is making it's own version.

Wapiko

Post by Wapiko » Dec 12th, '05, 04:09

I cried after the USA version ended. Now I'm rewatching season 1 \:D/

I'd say it's certainly time for Japan to have their version of QAF maybe...after all, maybe HG (though he's straight really) has opened up minds?

equang

Post by equang » Dec 12th, '05, 05:12

Oh man, I've watched the first episode of Kinpachi Sensei season 6 now and WOW. Right from the bat you can tell that this series is gonna be full of TURMOIL and ANGST and GENERALLY NOT GOOD THINGS, lol. XD I feel Nao's pain XD It's like me in high school XD Accept everyone was too weirded out by me to mess wth me.