Chinese D-Addicts

speak whatever language you like here.
boniface

Chinese D-Addicts

Post by boniface » Oct 14th, '05, 03:18

If you speak Chinese, is Chinese, or likes Chinese things, you are welcome here. :-)

Please introduce yourself. Tell us what dramas you like, which actors you like, opinions of certain dramas, etc.

We won't always discuss China-related things. But if you are discussing it, and you are related to China in some way, then I guess that is related as well. :lol

Feel free to type in English, simplified Chinese, traditional Chinese, pin yin(拼音), or mixed. Whatever works..
Last edited by boniface on Dec 5th, '05, 08:51, edited 3 times in total.

blushyy

Post by blushyy » Oct 14th, '05, 13:46

I love Japanese dramas, such as: Gokusen, Ganbatte Ikimasshoi, Lunch Queen, One Litre of Tears, and that's it.

I love Chinese dramas, especially Hong Kong series (those TVB ones) such as: ..... I don't know the names because I watch them on my ummm satellite thing whatever it's called. That Jadeworld TV thing ? Yeah, I love this one called.... uhhhh.... Something about the main girl and the mother in law. Very funny lol. And the series "To get unstuck in time" is awesome as well!

boniface

Post by boniface » Oct 15th, '05, 02:55

Oh, talking about Hong Kong stuff, I used to love watching the police series they had.
When I was younger I used to get under blankets and watch the cases. I got so scared sometimes that I wouldn't get up to turn off the TV. I would pretend there's a murderer in my house :P But Hong Kong series can be really funny sometimes, they have a wicked sense of humor.

But now that I live in the States, I can only watch a few dramas, which is enough. But actually Chinese channels like to show a lot of Korean dramas! But that's fun too.

hksaznlibra

Post by hksaznlibra » Oct 15th, '05, 03:04

I only saw one chinese movie my left eye sees ghost with sammy chang??? :unsure: It was good I'll have to start watching a lot more. I wish I knew how to speak fluent chinese or korean so I woudn't have to fight with these damn subtitiles :unsure:

heppy

Post by heppy » Oct 27th, '05, 14:57

ehhhs so few chinese here? lols.. ^^
guess most chinese go chi websites to dl? lol

sharonfruits

Post by sharonfruits » Oct 28th, '05, 11:44

hihi,i'm a chinese too...

fave j-drama:
nobuta wo produce
hana yori dango
dragon sakura
ect.....

fave t-drama:
devil beside you
meteor garden
dlphin at the bay
ect...

fave korean drama:
full house
---well,i don't see much k-drama and hong kong drama,now i'm just addicted to japanese dramas...i was crazy about hong kong dramas when i was in primary school,after going to mid-high school,i suddenly stoop seeing hk dramas and turned to taiwan dramas(that's when meteor garden came out),so my cantonese is sooooo bad now,since i don't speak it and don't listen to it.....so just mandarin and english for me,hoping to lear japanese soon......

boniface

Post by boniface » Oct 29th, '05, 08:31

Yeah, there are lots of Chinese sites to download from. ^^; I think most of us here are not in China?

But I want to watch Full House so much. I've heard so much and it's rated high on the favorite K-drama list. I recognize some actors in there, and it just looks nice.

Yet I'm currently downloading Nobuta no Produce and the Ryo Nikishido drama(forgot the name)....

sharonfruits

Post by sharonfruits » Oct 29th, '05, 08:44

boniface wrote:Yeah, there are lots of Chinese sites to download from. ^^; I think most of us here are not in China?

But I want to watch Full House so much. I've heard so much and it's rated high on the favorite K-drama list. I recognize some actors in there, and it just looks nice.

Yet I'm currently downloading Nobuta no Produce and the Ryo Nikishido drama(forgot the name)....
nope i'm not from China but somewhere in asia though...you should see full house,it's really funny and cute,the main character Rain is sooooo cute.....

Ryo's drama is 1 litre of tears ,right,i'm also watching that.....but it is going to be so sad because the girl will... :cry:

now i'm just downloading Nobuta (it has Yamap in it,and he's hilarious in this drama)and Hana Yori Dango,i LOVE this shows soooo much...WOW,this site really has very little chinese,hiiyaeh.....

Lady Zhuge

Post by Lady Zhuge » Oct 29th, '05, 16:55

According to the Ethnicity thread/poll at D-Addicts, there should be a lot of Chinese folk here. :whistling: Anyway, I'm one of them. I love watching Chinese (namely Mainland and HK/TVB) and Korean series.

Favorite Chinese series: San Guo Yan Yi and Yong Zheng Wang Chao
I think Mainland China makes the best ancient series.
Favorite Chinese thespians: Bao Jian Feng, Julian Cheung, Shen Xiao Hai, Leslie Cheung, Jimmy Lin, Tang Guo Qiang, Chen Dao Ming, Gao Yuan Yuan

Favorite Korean series: Sweet 18 and MISA
Favorite Korean actor: So Ji Sup/Sub

Favorite American series: CSI (Thursday nights!)
Favorite American actor: Kevin Spacey

Right now I'm finishing up Thousand Years of Love and will be watching Glass Shoes and/or Delicious Proposal next as well as We're Dating Now (as the subbed episodes are released). I also have to finish Full House, watch My Name is Kim Sam Soon, Dae Jang Geum and All About Eve as I've heard so many good things about those series. As for Chinese series, I'm about to start Qing Tian Ya Men 2. Too bad Bao Bao only has a cameo in this one. :(
boniface wrote:Oh, talking about Hong Kong stuff, I used to love watching the police series they had.
When I was younger I used to get under blankets and watch the cases. I got so scared sometimes that I wouldn't get up to turn off the TV. I would pretend there's a murderer in my house :P But Hong Kong series can be really funny sometimes, they have a wicked sense of humor.

But now that I live in the States, I can only watch a few dramas, which is enough. But actually Chinese channels like to show a lot of Korean dramas! But that's fun too.
You mean the Detective Investigation Files series? I love those too! 2 is my favorite. I also like the Armed Reaction series and just about anything dealing with mystery and suspense (like Greed Mask).
blushyy wrote:I love Chinese dramas, especially Hong Kong series (those TVB ones) such as: ..... I don't know the names because I watch them on my ummm satellite thing whatever it's called. That Jadeworld TV thing ? Yeah, I love this one called.... uhhhh.... Something about the main girl and the mother in law. Very funny lol. And the series "To get unstuck in time" is awesome as well!
Are you referring to War of the In-laws with Myolie Wu, Bosco Wong, and Liza Wong? I heard that was really good and funny, but haven't had a chance to watch it yet. I enjoyed To Get Unstuck in Time as well, but the first half much more than the second.

blushyy

Post by blushyy » Nov 1st, '05, 00:02

Lady Zhuge wrote: Are you referring to War of the In-laws with Myolie Wu, Bosco Wong, and Liza Wong? I heard that was really good and funny, but haven't had a chance to watch it yet. I enjoyed To Get Unstuck in Time as well, but the first half much more than the second.
Yes! That's it!!!! "War of the In-laws" Oh man, I love that series. Actually, I might even watch it again because my mum taped it while it was on TV. It's so funny and so cute... but, like in many series, there's always a b*#$22#%$#% in it that pisses me off. HAHA. [So I kinda didn't like watching that bit and fast forwarded it..] Anyhoo, I highly recommend it to everybody!!

Yeah, I think "To Get Unstuck in Time" was better during the first half, it was quite sad what he did changing the past, which changed the present for him in the second half... blah. But the ending was so touching and made me cry like a retard. :cry:

I think the main female character in "War of the In-laws" is really good. Her other dramas are quite entertaining too. [What's her name?] She's a good actress... But my favourite one has got to the be in-laws one, hahah so funny.

Lady Zhuge

Post by Lady Zhuge » Nov 1st, '05, 01:35

blushyy wrote:Yeah, I think "To Get Unstuck in Time" was better during the first half, it was quite sad what he did changing the past, which changed the present for him in the second half... blah. But the ending was so touching and made me cry like a retard. :cry:
I love all the parts involving Roger and his Dad. I agree, the ending was very touching. I was like...don't...go...:(
blushyy wrote:I think the main female character in "War of the In-laws" is really good. Her other dramas are quite entertaining too. [What's her name?] She's a good actress... But my favourite one has got to the be in-laws one, hahah so funny.
Are you referring to Myolie Wu (paired with Bosco Wong) or Liza Wang (the mother-in-law)?

blushyy

Post by blushyy » Nov 1st, '05, 01:55

I'm referring to ... Myolie Wu. The mother in law is good too, haha. But I love Myolie Wu so much here. Haha. I'd love to watch more of her dramas. Yay.

Lady Zhuge

Post by Lady Zhuge » Nov 1st, '05, 06:56

If you like Myolie, I suggest you watch "Triumph in the Skies".

blushyy

Post by blushyy » Nov 1st, '05, 07:02

What is that series about ? D:

[I've actually seen a lot of her dramas, but don't know titles]

Lady Zhuge

Post by Lady Zhuge » Nov 1st, '05, 15:31

blushyy wrote:What is that series about ? D:

[I've actually seen a lot of her dramas, but don't know titles]
Oh, then you've probably already seen it. It's about airline pilots and training to be in the airline industry, but of course with the usual love triangles and such. The main cast consists of Frances Ng, Flora Chan, Joe Ma, Myolie Wu, Michelle Yip, Ron Ng, Sammul Chan, etc.

zeuxism

Post by zeuxism » Nov 3rd, '05, 22:06

ahhhhh, i loveeeeeeeeeee 'triumph in the skies, chong shang yun siao'!

Currently watching 'twin of brothers, da tang shuang long zhuan' and 'Shine on you, qing chu yu lan'

Btw, i'm from singapore and i watch hours of HK drama on cable tv each day..

Too bad i can't find any dramas with the original cantonese voices and english subtitles. The chinese one seems kinda weird..

Shorty

Post by Shorty » Nov 4th, '05, 03:36

Yup, Triumph In The Sky was really good. Ron Ng is SO HOT! ;D Hehe.

Revolving Doors Of Vengeance is really good as well. So many twists and turns. Women On The Run is hilarious. The 4 ladies are so "hao". Lol.

If you like Myolie, I suggest you watch War Of In-Laws. That show is soooo funny. The mother is played by Liza Wan. Their arguements are very amusing. Lol.

Calcifer
AiRen
AiRen

Post by Calcifer » Nov 4th, '05, 03:53

sharonfruits wrote: WOW,this site really has very little chinese,hiiyaeh.....
Seems like there should be the most Chinese around here, but maybe we're just quiet. :mrgreen:

I watch mainly Chinese series, both ancient and modern, since I don't need subs for those. I agree with Lady Zhuge that the Mainland makes the best ancient series, be they wuxia/fantasy or historical/political ones. I'm a big fan of many Taiwan modern idol dramas, my favs of which are MG, Mars and now Devil Beside You (don't like the ending few eps though), and now I'm starting on Mainland idol series too. Collaborative Chinese series are also great, since you can get talents from all over, and even recruit Korean stars every once in a while, too 8)

Out of convenience more than anything else, I usually just stick to Chinese series, because there're so many of them with such variation in plot/setting/characters that I'm never bored. But as to non-Chinese series, I've watched some of Dae Jang Geum (still have to finish it), Nine Tailed Fox, Sweet 18 and Strawberry on a Shortcake.

crazylife123
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by crazylife123 » Nov 4th, '05, 03:57

HK's production are good in ancient/modern comedy series.

Taiwan...maybe modern series.

Mainland...wuxia series

Singapore...not sure. not a fan. . :mrgreen:

lilswtangel
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by lilswtangel » Nov 4th, '05, 09:53

My parents were originally from Toisan aka Hoisan aka Taishan~

I grew up watching TVB tapes with my family and I know more of the veterans' names than the newer generation of actors/actresses (unless they're either really good-looking or they can act).

My obsession with TVB dramas has died down since less and less have been eye-catching. Nowadays, when I do watch HK dramas, I tend to skip an episode here or there.

I don't have just one favorite drama (that's like picking a red ball from a mixtures of balls).........but instead an entire endless list.

However, there have been a few that really were life-altering. I have never seen a more evil character casted in "Where the Legend Begins" than anywhere else. Sonjia Kwok did such an awesome job that I hate her to this day. No offense to Sonjia's fans.........and YES I KNOW, she was just acting, but I really really loved Ada Choi's character and I hated the ending.

As others recommended, "A Triumph to the Skies" really was another one of those unforgettable TVB dramas...and pretty recent, too. Ron Ng's acting was still a little raw there although Samul Chan has already been in older dramas usually as a supporting actor. But I'm happy to see his acting has improved tri-fold....which brings me to "Revolving Doors of Vengeance." That series literally has me suspecting everyone of their evil intentions..............even the main characters (wells, except for Ella Koon, I knew she was the only really innocent one there and she did such a great job for a new person). In fact, this was the only newer series that I've watched from start to end while anticipating for the next episode.

------------------getting long-winded~ :lol

but yea............right now, I'm just hooked on Taiwanese drama "The Prince who Turns Into a Frog". Matt Lin is a real hottie~ :wub:

@ crazylife buahahahhah~!! I'm not too sure of Singaporean dramas either. I haven't really given them a chance yet. Maybe it's time I did. :-)

zeuxism

Post by zeuxism » Nov 5th, '05, 22:45

Woah this is confusing.

I do not know most of their English names..

Been watching lotsa kdramas as well..I love them all!

azndgn26

Post by azndgn26 » Nov 5th, '05, 23:21

I watch TVB, Mainland China, and Taiwan series but wat is Singaporean? I dun recall watching any of them or even noe what series are from singapore. I like to watch mainly sereis with a mix of wuxia, ancient, romance, and comedy which means I mostly watch Mainland China & Taiwan series.

Until recently, like 2 years ago, I just started watching modern series after Meteor Garden. I never took much interest in modern series until Meteor Garden maybe it was bcuz I lik to learn about our past ancestors & the history. I watch a few TVBs here and there but they're not that much of an appeal to me unless they have some great actors and actresses like Jessica, Michelle, Charmaine, Julian, Benny, Roger, etc with a good storyline. One reason I dun watch TVB is bcuz it's in canto and I can't understand them. Second reason is because sometimes, their storyline just isn't worth watching. I dun like to watch TVB ancient China series but they do make good 1700-1900s China series.

What I dun like about Taiwan series are all these new recent series coming out. It's tooo modern to the point where it gets too predictable and too fairy tale like.

Right now, there hasn't been any good chinese series that interest me after finishin Chinese Paladin. My interest now is Korean Drama and going overboard crazy obsessed with them. I just finished Let's Go To School Sang Doo which is a really really recommendable great romantic comedy which u need a tissue box sittin right next to u.

So wat's a good recommendable chinese series everyone is currently watchin right now?
Last edited by azndgn26 on Nov 12th, '05, 08:35, edited 1 time in total.

hear no evil

Post by hear no evil » Nov 6th, '05, 17:36

hello im chinese as well...it's a shame that I can't read or write chinese very well but at least I speak it fluently enough.

I love Taiwanese dramas. Devil by your side, Mars, Wang Zhi Bian Qian Wa, Meteor Garden, MVP Valentine, 100% Senorita and so on.
I also happen to be addicted to korean dramas. They're soo sad and it makes me melt.

shirahime

Post by shirahime » Nov 7th, '05, 21:30

这里不是要用国语吗 LOL

kotorichan

Post by kotorichan » Nov 7th, '05, 21:54

Hello^^
I'm Chinese, too. I'm from Shanghai. ^-^
I more love Japanese Dorama, though.
My fav. is Kamenashi Kazuya ^O^
But I watched a lot ot tawanese and HongKong dorama and movies, too. Real Chinese Dorama is not really my style... my mom watch them a lot though.. haha
Sooo... I bet you guys watch a lot Japanese and Korean Dorama in Chinese subs, ne? Is pretty easy... with Chinese. There are already a lot out, too.
Hope we will talk more about it!! *-*

charmedjean83
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by charmedjean83 » Nov 7th, '05, 22:06

I'm chinese too ^__^"

I used to love TVB drama~ used to watch it non-stop! fave actresses - Kathy chow + flora chan ^^
Fave actors~ too many hehe <3

Shorty

Post by Shorty » Nov 9th, '05, 04:04

I love chinese dramas! I've watched almost all of the TVB series that came out. But now, I'm totally engrossed in Korean dramas that I don't even have time to watch TVB series. Lol

sillypanda114
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by sillypanda114 » Nov 10th, '05, 07:25

boniface wrote:But now that I live in the States, I can only watch a few dramas, which is enough. But actually Chinese channels like to show a lot of Korean dramas! But that's fun too.
Oh my gosh.. I know. When I was younger.. like 12-ish? so about 3 years ago, the Chinese channels played such good dramas. Haha.. at the time I thought all these love stories were crap, so I really enjoyed all the stories set in Ancient China like Huan Zhu Gege. :D I absolutely loved and love volumes 1 and 2. Teeheee.. I own them on vcd.

Mm... haha I'm Chinese, too, just for the record. XP Er.. my favorite actress is Zhao Wei. She can play so many diverse roles so well. It's amazing. Haha. And my favorite actor is.. Oguri Shun! :) Haha. I don't know. He's one of my many favorites. Mike He's a pretty good actor, too. Haha..

Are there any good dramas that are going to come out soon? or have just come out?Neh.. I still need to watch a lot of the dramas that came out a while ago. XP

tobikko

Post by tobikko » Nov 11th, '05, 04:33

im not chinese, but i love HK movies and series! they're great.
i watch every TVB series. and i love HK actors, actresses. god they're awsome!
im currently looking for Heavenly Sword and Dragon Saber 2000
anyone has it? i've been looking for it for like a very long time. but no where it can be found. HELP ME PLEASE!

melonyhappy

Post by melonyhappy » Nov 11th, '05, 19:31

I'm chinese, but um.. i don't speak much of it. i get my languages confused. I've learnt mandarin at school, but i'm cantonese. I'm really white-washed :lol but lately i've been interested in asian dramas/music (mostly korean though)

as for chinese dramas, i've been mostly watching taiwanese stuff lately..i completed meteor garden and i am in the mist of it started with a kiss, prince turns to frog, devil beside you (i like this chinese drama the best so far), mars, um... some reason i can't seem to finish these

i've seen a couple of HK dramas, but i forgot their names.. my favourite one would be something to do with a piano (so long ago) some guy played the piano really well, but he wasn't smart.

oh what is tvb?

tobikko

Post by tobikko » Nov 12th, '05, 00:32

melonyhappy wrote:I'm chinese, but um.. i don't speak much of it. i get my languages confused. I've learnt mandarin at school, but i'm cantonese. I'm really white-washed :lol but lately i've been interested in asian dramas/music (mostly korean though)

as for chinese dramas, i've been mostly watching taiwanese stuff lately..i completed meteor garden and i am in the mist of it started with a kiss, prince turns to frog, devil beside you (i like this chinese drama the best so far), mars, um... some reason i can't seem to finish these

i've seen a couple of HK dramas, but i forgot their names.. my favourite one would be something to do with a piano (so long ago) some guy played the piano really well, but he wasn't smart.

oh what is tvb?
TVB is a TV station in HK. it's very very popular all over the world. (to chinese ppl at least) it has pretty good dramas with all the famous celebrity. every body loves it include me! :wub: :party:

jica

Post by jica » Nov 14th, '05, 21:12

I prefer D-Addicts before chinese dl-sites, because you often have to read chinese there.... takes too much energy (my chinese reading is really bad.... :cry: )

I like HK dramas, korean and taiwan, but most of all the japanese ones. Right now I watch Hana Yori Dango and Nobuta wo Produce. Kamenashi Kazuya is so cute, like his acting and singing :P

Recently I have been watching mainland chinese dramas too (I didn't think they would be good, but indeed there are a few ones). A must see is Files of Young Justice Bao II. Lu Yi is really good, interesting cases too.

I buy a lot of dramas, dl is good, but sometimes you want the original things too, at least I want them, so I go to YesAsia.com. You can find almost everything there, movies, dramas, comics, music from different places in Asia.
Attachments
Young Justice Bao II
Young Justice Bao II
bao gong.jpg (21.38 KiB) Viewed 28388 times

Calcifer
AiRen
AiRen

Post by Calcifer » Nov 15th, '05, 03:16

Who here's a ___BC (___ born Chinese)? Like ABC, CBC, SBC, MBC... (If you want to be politically correct, though I'm talking heritage and not nationality with the term "Chinese", you could be __ born Taiwanese, too, I suppose.) I'm an ABC myself.
shirahime wrote:这里不是要用国语吗 LOL
是啊...但是我中文比较 crappy... This might also get interesting if people starting using a mix of traditional and simplified, but hey, I think I've learned enough traditional watching Taiwan series to brave a conversation should someone from HK or Tw care to talk. So here goes a mix of Chinglish. If I sound like a 3 year old, 不要笑, 好吗? Just gotta thank the programmers for 词组 in Chinese typing programs... :whistling:

Do jump in so I'm not embarassing myself alone here!

谁最近去了中国,香港,台湾,或者别的有趣的地方? 说一说吧! 明年夏天我要回国玩一玩. 我现在已经在准备一个list of中国连续剧好回去买 :mrgreen:

If anyone wants recommendations for Chinese series (and you don't need subs,) I can give some, and I'm always looking for recommendations as well. 8)

pRincEton giRL

mandarin freaky

Post by pRincEton giRL » Nov 16th, '05, 06:10

hmmm i know a bit of chinese langauge more specifically MANDARIN 普通话 (pu tong hua).. i'ved learned it from my cousins but i rarely speak about it. chinese is just one of my bloodline but i get thru it. love the culture eeh. :wub:

hmm i've watch the meteor garden, amazing twins, hmmm actually too many but i dont recall some titles.. recently i'm watching FROG PRINCE or Prince turn into Frong of MING DAO.. whew guys, matthew lin or MING DAO really rocks.. really hmmmp 佼 :heart:

Eleven

Post by Eleven » Nov 17th, '05, 10:32

我去过中国, 真的很好玩 , 很有趣, 有一部很好看的片那就是 == Return of condor heroes ^^ 还有一部叫做 后天美女 The beauty of After Tomorrow ^^ 或者 一部叫做 天下第一 ..... :roll

Hybrid Hunter

Post by Hybrid Hunter » Nov 19th, '05, 04:15

I'm chinese, but i can't speak a lick of it. At least not well. I learnt Mandarin when i was younger, but i've lost pretty much all of it. I knew Cantonese when i was younger and now i'm lost most of that. All i've got it Teo Cheow which isn't even all that popular! I gotta learn chinese again somehow!

My mum watches chinese series and stuff, i occasionally watch, but most of the time i'm lost with whats happening story-wise. I suppose thats my little introduction!

boniface

Post by boniface » Nov 19th, '05, 09:55

Oi, I don't really know the English names of the Chinese actors either. :lol

I haven't been to China lately, so I can't say much on the subject.

Is it just me, or does all the Cantonese series that are airing look slightly outdated? I think they are old, but I think some might be new... I use to obsess over the drama versions of books by 金庸. Anyone who doesn't know him shoud! He wrote the original book to lots of the dramas you guys like.

And you know what? When people translate titles and stuff into English from Chinese, it turns really lame. Is that just me? Like 风云 for example. It's suppose to have that feeling of chaos and power, but Wind and Cloud just doesn't have the same affect... It makes me feel like a telletubby trying to make clouds into an animal. And pin yin is also kind of lame..

I've been away to the States so long, that reading Chinese hurts... I get the general meaning I guess, but if you really want me to read each word, I have to glare at if for awhile.

furious

Post by furious » Nov 19th, '05, 10:13

Hi Hi High! I am Chinese and I speak Mandarin , Cantonese and Hokkien. Anyway the chinese shows/series I like watching are those tvb ones. I got cable tv that allows me to watch them so everyday 8.30-10.30 pm it's TVB hour :-)

sadotsu

Post by sadotsu » Nov 19th, '05, 10:33

Lol this is so weird... don't you guys think so? Like all these Chinese people from random parts of the world and all speaking English to each other... o_O
Do any of you actually live in China?

jica

Post by jica » Nov 19th, '05, 10:46

sadotsu wrote:Lol this is so weird... don't you guys think so? Like all these Chinese people from random parts of the world and all speaking English to each other... o_O
Do any of you actually live in China?
well, there's different chinese dialects, and even two kinds of written chinese (trad. anad simpl), so it's much easiser too communicate in English. Furthermore, seems like mostly of us don't live in China or chinese-speaking countries, so not everyone knows or is eased to use chinese characters, especially on the computer (will take me a whole day to write a letter with chinese character... :crazy: )

I manage to read mangas with my Chinese, but still prefer English (and Swedish) on the web. :mrgreen:

sadotsu

Post by sadotsu » Nov 19th, '05, 11:03

jica wrote: well, there's different chinese dialects, and even two kinds of written chinese (trad. anad simpl), so it's much easiser too communicate in English. Furthermore, seems like mostly of us don't live in China or chinese-speaking countries, so not everyone knows or is eased to use chinese characters, especially on the computer (will take me a whole day to write a letter with chinese character... :crazy: )
Lol I'm Chinese, by the way.
I know, huh?? I can't stand typing in Chinese. I'm practically illiterate, anyway. T_T
I miss China! Going back soon, yay.

Calcifer
AiRen
AiRen

Post by Calcifer » Nov 20th, '05, 00:27

@ pRincEton giRL: I hope to watch Frog Prince when I've got more time. Glad to hear it's a good series; looking foward to it.

@ Eleven: I absolutely love Jin Yong and similar 武侠 stories. They're so much fun! The only series you mentioned that I've seen is Condor Heroes, both the old HK and new Mainland version. Which one did you see?

@boniface: I agree with the lameness of English titles of Chinese series. Like "Arching Hero" or "Condor Hero" for She Diao Ying Xiong Zhuan...it just sounds really odd in English. I don't blame people for not thinking a series is particularly exciting from the name. Pin yin would just confuse even more, probably.

fufu
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by fufu » Nov 20th, '05, 02:07

你叫我睇併音就真係睇得好辛苦架...我香港人黎架嗎! 所以都冇學過國語併音。
衣道係唔係來自 China/Taiwan 既人多? 有冇其他香港人呀? 唔好搞到我好似自己同自己講野o甘...哈哈...

衣道好似冇乜香港人所以唔講太多口語喇!

我有看過 「天下第一」! 這部還好吧...我覺得裡面有太多演員了。有些部份沒有那麼好看--郭晉安的角色有點無聊
不過這還是一部不錯的戲 。

我從四年級回到香港一次就從來沒有回去過。希望明年有機會回去啦...書都快念完了。如果有機會我也想去韓國、日本、泰國、中國.....

Enough Chinese....I'm actually one of those "half bucket full" people in Chinese and English....basically, I suck in both languages :blink

I've only seen China's 武俠 stories. I'd really like to watch a China idol series if anyone can recommend a few (China has so many people, there :lol must be a lot of good-looking people in there). I've just been bored out from TVB series lately...the recent series don't seem to go anywhere...not particularly interesting stories, no climax, (no acting), etc.

Calcifer
AiRen
AiRen

Post by Calcifer » Nov 20th, '05, 03:45

@fufu: Ooh, some traditional Chinese reading practice. :P I'm quite bad with simplified as it is, but I think I managed to stumble through your post all right. 我去过香港; 我觉得很热, 但是有意思. 我什么都听不懂, 也不会说Cantonese, 但是我门去买东西的时候,那些人都很热心的帮助我们. HK was a lot of fun, though if I was a more heat-resistant person, I probably would've enjoyed it more. :P And I love Southern Chinese sweets. Delicious!
fufu wrote:我有看過 「天下第一」! 這部還好吧...我覺得裡面有太多演員了。有些部份沒有那麼好看--郭晉安的角色有點無聊
不過這還是一部不錯的戲 。
我听说 "天下第一" 只是一个so-so的连续剧.
我從四年級回到香港一次就從來沒有回去過。希望明年有機會回去啦...書都快念完了。如果有機會我也想去韓國、日本、泰國、中國.....
我也想好好在亚洲玩玩!
I've only seen China's 武俠 stories. I'd really like to watch a China idol series if anyone can recommend a few (China has so many people, there :lol must be a lot of good-looking people in there). I've just been bored out from TVB series lately...the recent series don't seem to go anywhere...not particularly interesting stories, no climax, (no acting), etc.
Taiwan's got some excellent modern idol dramas (战神/Mars and 恶魔在身边/Devil Beside You are two I'd recommend off the top of my head), and I'm only now getting ahold of China's idol series. They've got a lot more than I'd realized. So far I've seen 18岁的天空/Sky and 起跑天堂/My Way, and I think they're both great.

And yeah...there are definitely many hot Chinese people in Taiwan and Mainland idol series I've seen, both guys and girls. 8)

sadotsu

Post by sadotsu » Nov 20th, '05, 05:44

...Chinese.... all this Chinese is screwing with my head...
You guys, don't you find some of the Taiwanese idol shows kinda annoying? There's always heaps of annoying and cheesy secondary characters that you just want to punch in the face.

fufu
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by fufu » Nov 20th, '05, 08:58

Calcifer wrote:我听说 "天下第一" 只是一个so-so的连续剧.
沒錯! 可是它還是比現在的 TVB 劇好一點啦(至小是大制作)...我和我爸媽一齊看「佛山贊師父」都快悶死。 那些 old cookies 的真功夫果然了得可是就是沒故事。「天下第一」就像好多故事連在一起...所以不好看的部分我通常都會狂 fast forward。

最近看過的戲當中就只有覺得「仙劍奇俠傳」好看 ...

現在我有看「惡作劇之吻」(Of course, 我有 sub 嘛!) 和 「綠光森林」不遇 sadotsu 說得對...有時後真的看不下去 (very cheesy plots)。剛剛看完「王子變青蛙」就覺得很像那部韓劇「最後的舞請與我一起」("The Last Dance Is With Me")。

Taiwan dramas are OKAY I guess. I watch them because I usually like watching Romance, which TVB series are not great at (TVB just don't have much idol series, if any).

sadotsu

Post by sadotsu » Nov 20th, '05, 09:17

Lol... is it just me... or for some reason... people sound really cute when they speak Chinese. And then when they revert back to English... it just sounds all businesslike.

eileenb

chines d-addicts ...good!

Post by eileenb » Nov 20th, '05, 16:50

im a chinese....but i onli take my chinese lesson until primary skool n i m reali bad at it.
i onli noe how to speak mandarion n read a bit onli...im tinking is there any chinese version of d-addicts website created so i can teach my younger sister how to downloadn whr to d/l.
my sister goes to the chinese skool n he not so good in computer wanted to watch latest taiwan drama n HK drama. i wanna help her but i cant help much coz i cant reali read.

since myself cant help much.so is there any chinese drama of d-addicts??at least i know where to d/l n find the subtittles when my sister switch it to d-addicts in chinese version.

any suggestions on how to help ??

fufu
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by fufu » Nov 20th, '05, 21:34

Me too!! I immigrated to Canada when I was four, I remember kindergarten was HARD in Hong Kong--we did addition and subtraction, english vocabs, chinese character writing practice, etc. Then when I went to Kindergarten in Canada....wow...I did absolutely nothing in class...at most we sang the "ABC" song :blink :lol :lol

There's actually a lot of TW dramas and HK TVB series and also China series posted in d-addicts. If you browse the "Chinese Entertainment" section, a lot of people have been sharing TVB series on direct downloads (megauploads). If you click the link on my signature, we've been subbing the TW drama, "It started with a kiss" into English (just read first post for instructions). I know there are completed english subtitles for the TW drama, "Devil beside you" in the Subtitles forum....so check those out. And there is a hardsubbed version of "Chinese Paladin" (Historical time based China series), which is really good.

@sadotsu: 你不要只是看我們講中文啦! 你也一起說點吧!

Calcifer
AiRen
AiRen

Post by Calcifer » Nov 20th, '05, 22:11

fufu wrote:沒錯! 可是它還是比現在的 TVB 劇好一點啦(至小是大制作)...我和我爸媽一齊看「佛山贊師父」都快悶死。 那些 old cookies 的真功夫果然了得可是就是沒故事。「天下第一」就像好多故事連在一起...所以不好看的部分我通常都會狂 fast forward。
我好象没看过太多TVB series. 以前TVB有什么好剧?

有时太多的CG会让个连续剧看起来很假. 别人告诉我 "天下第一" 就是full of bad graphics, 所以我没急着看. Is that the case?

我觉得 "仙剑奇侠传" 的CG就比较fake,但是因为它本来就是个fantasty,我还能接受. (故事也很有意思.) 但是我觉得武侠剧不应该用太多CG. 我想看fighting, 不想看CG, after all. 我希望ROCH '06 不会有太假的special effects.
現在我有看「惡作劇之吻」(Of course, 我有 sub 嘛!) 和 「綠光森林」不遇 sadotsu 說得對...有時後真的看不下去 (very cheesy plots)。剛剛看完「王子變青蛙」就覺得很像那部韓劇「最後的舞請與我一起」("The Last Dance Is With Me").
"惡作劇之吻" 好看吗? 我还没来得及看. 要是你在sub it, 我想会不错吧. By the way, where do you get the 「」symbols? I only ever see them used with Chinese text and they aren't on my keyboard.
sadotsu wrote:...Chinese.... all this Chinese is screwing with my head...
You guys, don't you find some of the Taiwanese idol shows kinda annoying? There's always heaps of annoying and cheesy secondary characters that you just want to punch in the face.
Yes; I've wanted to strangle a good share of actors/actresses in Taiwan idol series. (So far, the two Mainland ones have not had characters that've annoyed me to that point. Crossing my fingers I won't come across too many that do.) I'll give pretty much any series a chance, but some are just ridiculous. I can't force myself to watch those ultra-cheesy-hyper-exaggerated ones, because I cringe on behalf of the actors/actresses. I know some people really like them, but I find them melodramatic and fake, especially when the plots are usually pointless. But as long as a series has a certain reasonable and meaningful plot connecting some silliness/melodramatic behavior, I can still enjoy them. Devil Beside You's level of silliness is probably my limit though; anything with lamer expressions than that and I can't say I truly enjoyed it.

I do have to say that Mars was an expectional Taiwan idol series since it didn't really have any cheesy silliness and instead had a really interesting/different plot than your average modern drama.
sadotsu wrote:Lol... is it just me... or for some reason... people sound really cute when they speak Chinese. And then when they revert back to English... it just sounds all businesslike.
I get that feeling too, but maybe it's because I usually do everything in English, so Chinese sounds different? Or maybe Chinese is a cuter language? :P

@eileenb: Could you rephrase the question? You need a site in Chinese with Chinese series, but you don't need English subs? I'd suggest btchina.net, if that's the case.
fufu wrote:@sadotsu: 你不要只是看我們講中文啦! 你也一起說點吧!
Hear hear 8)

sadotsu

Post by sadotsu » Nov 21st, '05, 07:51

Calcifer wrote:
fufu wrote:@sadotsu: 你不要只是看我們講中文啦! 你也一起說點吧!
Hear hear 8)
Lol... can't, sorry. My comp doesn't support Chinese characters. My laptop does, but it's kinda... lost at the moment. Yup.

shirahime

Post by shirahime » Nov 22nd, '05, 18:43

我最近比较喜欢日剧所以没什么注意到香港和台湾的。以前很迷香港剧,但是我喜欢的偶像现在都老了。新的我不觉得他们shuai :P

boniface

Post by boniface » Nov 22nd, '05, 21:44

Hey, could anyone explain Idol Series to me? I have a vague idea of what it is... but just to clarify, you know?

I didn't think Mars was very good, since the manga was better... It seems that if you watched it first, then it's good? Because I hated how it lost the affect from the manga.... or maybe I just weren't paying attention... I mean, I didn't really see all the twists that were suppose to happen, but maybe I was too busy bashing it to notice. :cussing:

I think Chinese is a cuter language because it has all those sounds that you can use after each sentence :lol
对不对呢? 是不是很可爱呀? 我用的是不是太多啦了?
I don't really like to type it though, because it's confusing for me to read....... long time away from China... My mom, however, insists that I practice...

Drama wise, I'm watching [风云2] :D
I don't like 黄亦, or whatever her name is.... But that's because she spoiled the image of 小燕子 for me when she made This sequel to [还珠铬铬]

Calcifer
AiRen
AiRen

Post by Calcifer » Nov 23rd, '05, 07:16

boniface wrote:Hey, could anyone explain Idol Series to me? I have a vague idea of what it is... but just to clarify, you know?
They're basically modern series starring young, good-looking people that're usually full of romance. Critics would say the actors/actresses are chosen based purely on looks and not for talent. I'd say it depends; I've seen that happen, but usually I don't have much of a problem with people's acting abilities.
I didn't think Mars was very good, since the manga was better... It seems that if you watched it first, then it's good? Because I hated how it lost the affect from the manga.... or maybe I just weren't paying attention... I mean, I didn't really see all the twists that were suppose to happen, but maybe I was too busy bashing it to notice. :cussing:
I absolutely love Mars (the series). I'm not a fan of comics unless the art is really good (Ping Fan or Ma Rong Cheng). It's gotta be either a live-action series or a novel that brings a story to life for me.
I don't like 黄亦, or whatever her name is.... But that's because she spoiled the image of 小燕子 for me when she made This sequel to [还珠铬铬]
Have you seen Feng Yun 1? I liked that, but after just previewing the 1st ep of Feng Yun 2, I got turned off. Those costumes...and hair...plus the switching of actresses...and odd plot...Meng coming back? And Feng's hair! Gone! :O :P

I like Huang Yi, but I agree with you: it's not cool when she's taking over another character previously played by someone else, like Xiao Yan Zi after Zhao Wei, and Meng after Shui Ling in Feng Yun 2. Then I can't like her no matter how hard I try. But she's an excellent actress in her own right; she's fabulous in "Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon," for instance. By the way, I highly recommend that series, despite a slightly odd ending.

hmm_yeh

Post by hmm_yeh » Nov 23rd, '05, 23:02

I know I'm soo out of topic.. but anyone want to be friends! and teach me Mandarin?! :P .. Man I've been wanting to learn that language, but I first need to master Japanese..

Calcifer
AiRen
AiRen

Post by Calcifer » Nov 24th, '05, 00:13

^I don't think your post was off topic. This is supposed to be a thread where we talk about Chinese stuff, right? 8)

How's your Japanese? I have several friends who're learning it too. If you practice your kanji well, you'll already know how to write and read (depends) some Chinese. As to learning Mandarin, I suggest watching series to learn it. It's more effective than parents want to believe :)

hmm_yeh

Post by hmm_yeh » Nov 24th, '05, 03:01

Ehehe .. my Japanese... so far is awful. I guess that's b/c I'm just starting .. well I guess it's okay b/c I have a bout a year and a half until I'll make use of the language. I've been trying to read and write kanji. It's soo hard! My writing just doesn't look right! I feel it lacks that artistic stroke. :P

As for Mandarin.. man I've been watching Meteor Garden over and over again [which btw, I totally agree. When someone likes a certain thing, they'd learn so much from it.. for instance, I'd pick up faster if I watch Chinese dramas b/c that's what I'm into!].. I got a couple of words [I wrote down their pronunciations and said it aloud, while trying to remember the meaning] down, but it's just so hard. I feel like such a foreigner trying too hard to speak a language with intense accent. Sheez, the things I'd do just to get accomplish what I want. ahaha :D

boniface

Post by boniface » Nov 24th, '05, 03:15

Thanks for explaining idol series to me, Calcifer.
Have you seen Feng Yun 1? I liked that, but after just previewing the 1st ep of Feng Yun 2, I got turned off. Those costumes...and hair...plus the switching of actresses...and odd plot...Meng coming back? And Feng's hair! Gone! :O :P

I like Huang Yi, but I agree with you: it's not cool when she's taking over another character previously played by someone else, like Xiao Yan Zi after Zhao Wei, and Meng after Shui Ling in Feng Yun 2. Then I can't like her no matter how hard I try. But she's an excellent actress in her own right; she's fabulous in "Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon," for instance. By the way, I highly recommend that series, despite a slightly odd ending.
Yeah, I've seen the first one already, I think 风, or 云(forgot which was which :P) looks better with long hair. I adore him ^_^
But I agree with the whole hair thing... 2 of the girls look like they had been attacked by dogs...
I try to think of it as higher quality cosplay when they make mangas into dramas.

I might try that series, but does it have anything to do with the movie?

As for learning Chinese, I think watching dramas helps a lot too. And actually, my mom thinks so also. When i came to the States, I had to learn English, but since I was young, I just watched T.V. a lot and learned from that. It's really effective. :D I don't know whether the subtitles ruin it or not though, since you just read it instead of trying to puzzle things together.

Hayashi_kun

Post by Hayashi_kun » Nov 24th, '05, 03:29

oh i din realise there's this thread, here's a chinese from singapore! :D

unfortunately i dun watch too many chinese dramas, most probably because singapore ones are so... not to my liking. my fav is still japanese drama, and some korean ones..

hope nobody is gonna kill me coz i dun really like chinese dramas... :whistling:

pwner4once

Post by pwner4once » Nov 24th, '05, 03:38

man it feels so weird to be reading a comment which switches from chinese to english and vice versa.
anyways I was born in china and moved to US around age of 13.
大家早上好!!
说道中国的电影, 我只看过一个电影叫早熟。很好玩,不是你们看过没有看过。 Also I started on this series named "The Champion" which is apparent from Singapore which might be why all the faces are unfamiliar. anyways, that's all im goig to say right now and hope htis thread becomes on like Guy RAnting thread. :D

Calcifer
AiRen
AiRen

Post by Calcifer » Nov 24th, '05, 06:27

And the thread comes a bit more alive :mrgreen:

@hmm_yeh: Languages are hard, but I'm sure you'll be improving fast in Japanese. Yeah, writing Chinese can be a pain, but it's fun, too, when you know some basics and can recognize them in different combos.

Meteor Garden's a great series for learning Mandarin cuz it can be really addictive. I still quote things from it sometimes. Lame, I know. You might learn "Wo xi huan ni" (I like/love you), the line Dao Ming Si waited the entire series to hear Shan Cai say to him :P Or the "dui bu qi" (I'm sorry) he has so much trouble saying to her. MG was my first idol drama; I used to not like modern things till I found out about idol series.

Ever watch MG2?

@boniface: 风 (played by Zhao Wen Zhuo) had the long, reddish overly blowdried hair, 云 (played by Peter He/Ho) had the curly blue hair. Both characters were a bit fake-looking, but the story's cool and I think they did a good job with the characters. Apparently it hooked lots of people, anyway. I liked the series overall, though some parts got weird towards the end.

Ever seen the Feng Yun comics? The artist/author does some of the best comic artwork ever. I really 佩服/admire him. :wub:

I find subs are helpful if they're in the language you're trying to learn/improve and you have basic knowledge of it. Then you can hear the language spoken and follow along with the words. Practice reading and listening skills at once 8)

Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon is the serial adaptation of the novel; since the movie's also based on the novel, yes, they have things in common. I thought the movie stunk, though, but the series is really great. The plot is much more coherent, and as a plus, the people are better looking and have much more natural chemistry with each other. Ending was kinda "huh?" but wasn't as odd as the ending to the movie, I think.

There is a "cave-sex" scene in the series :roll but it's actually almost funny. I think Shui Ling's infinitely better at being a feisty beauty than Zhang Zi Yi could ever hope to be, and Peter He/Ho is an endearing Xiao Hu. There's also a kinda infamous upsidedown kiss scene in the series, too.

@Hayashi_kun: everyone's free to watch and love what they want to :) Welcome to the thread! I've seen a few Singapore series, though only ancient ones, and I liked them. I plan on checking out modern Singapore series at some point, but at the moment they're a mystery to me. You should try checking out some Chinese-language series from other places if you don't like Singaporean ones. They can be excellent!

@pwner4once: 你好! Yeah, the switching of languages does feel odd. I have to concentrate when going from one to the other, probably because I don't do much reading of Chinese every day. "早熟"? 我没听说过, 但是那没有什么奇怪的 :whistling: 我没看过太多中国电影, 因为我比较喜欢看连续剧. 不过,最近我看了一个中国horror movie,"疑神疑鬼". 我觉得很不错, 很有意思! 除了它,我看过F4的电影...ummm...Jet Li's老电影,象"Shaolin Temple", "东方不败". I know I've seen others but I'm drawing a blank right now.

如果你是13岁来美国,你的中文和英文都很好吧 8)

boniface

Post by boniface » Nov 24th, '05, 10:02

Calcifer: Oh, I mean 风 then. Even though his hair looked fake, it was still much better than 云 's hair. The blue hair was kind of nasty looking... :P

And I didn't read the comics yet? Is it under the same name? Where do you think I can download it?

As for the subtitles, I meant if it was translated to something you did understand. But you're right.
I wouldn't like to have the same language subtitles if I didn't understand what they were saying in the first place though. I was forced to watch things in a foreign language before, ut I'd prefer understanding the dialouge.

I think I attempted to watch the movie version of Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, but Disc A wasn't working or something... Disc B was kind of weird and gross... I missed the first part, and was subjected to all this creepy sexually suggestive stuff(I think it had the cave sex in that one XD) but without the plot. I couldn't understand why people liked it enough for Oscar.... I think foreigners love the idea of flying through 轻功.

woah, long response. I think this thread has lots of long posts, no?

Hayashi_kun: haha I like Japanese and Korean dramas better than Chinese ones as well, but I think that's because China doesn't churn out modern series a lot... or maybe I'm behind. Mostly it's just stuff that adults like. Like ancient historical stuff. Or like comedy stuff in the countryside...

Everyone: Is it just me, or do all the TV channels show old things... In my memory, 风云'is at least 6 years old, because I watched it in China before I came to the states, but I can still see it here... on the satellite channels... they have recent stuff too, but they show the old stuff in the mornings, and I am rewatching all the series that I watched when I was 8... Which you know, makes me emotional because it's so familiar, but still. As I'm writing this, I just figured out that only 2 channels do that... but I watch them a lot... haha I just wrote a whole paragraph on something pointless now.

pwner4once

Post by pwner4once » Nov 24th, '05, 19:31

Calcifer wrote:And the thread comes a bit more alive :mrgreen:

@hmm_yeh: Languages are hard, but I'm sure you'll be improving fast in Japanese. Yeah, writing Chinese can be a pain, but it's fun, too, when you know some basics and can recognize them in different combos.

Meteor Garden's a great series for learning Mandarin cuz it can be really addictive. I still quote things from it sometimes. Lame, I know. You might learn "Wo xi huan ni" (I like/love you), the line Dao Ming Si waited the entire series to hear Shan Cai say to him :P Or the "dui bu qi" (I'm sorry) he has so much trouble saying to her. MG was my first idol drama; I used to not like modern things till I found out about idol series.

Ever watch MG2?

@boniface: 风 (played by Zhao Wen Zhuo) had the long, reddish overly blowdried hair, 云 (played by Peter He/Ho) had the curly blue hair. Both characters were a bit fake-looking, but the story's cool and I think they did a good job with the characters. Apparently it hooked lots of people, anyway. I liked the series overall, though some parts got weird towards the end.

Ever seen the Feng Yun comics? The artist/author does some of the best comic artwork ever. I really 佩服/admire him. :wub:

I find subs are helpful if they're in the language you're trying to learn/improve and you have basic knowledge of it. Then you can hear the language spoken and follow along with the words. Practice reading and listening skills at once 8)

Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon is the serial adaptation of the novel; since the movie's also based on the novel, yes, they have things in common. I thought the movie stunk, though, but the series is really great. The plot is much more coherent, and as a plus, the people are better looking and have much more natural chemistry with each other. Ending was kinda "huh?" but wasn't as odd as the ending to the movie, I think.

There is a "cave-sex" scene in the series :roll but it's actually almost funny. I think Shui Ling's infinitely better at being a feisty beauty than Zhang Zi Yi could ever hope to be, and Peter He/Ho is an endearing Xiao Hu. There's also a kinda infamous upsidedown kiss scene in the series, too.

@Hayashi_kun: everyone's free to watch and love what they want to :) Welcome to the thread! I've seen a few Singapore series, though only ancient ones, and I liked them. I plan on checking out modern Singapore series at some point, but at the moment they're a mystery to me. You should try checking out some Chinese-language series from other places if you don't like Singaporean ones. They can be excellent!

@pwner4once: 你好! Yeah, the switching of languages does feel odd. I have to concentrate when going from one to the other, probably because I don't do much reading of Chinese every day. "早熟"? 我没听说过, 但是那没有什么奇怪的 :whistling: 我没看过太多中国电影, 因为我比较喜欢看连续剧. 不过,最近我看了一个中国horror movie,"疑神疑鬼". 我觉得很不错, 很有意思! 除了它,我看过F4的电影...ummm...Jet Li's老电影,象"Shaolin Temple", "东方不败". I know I've seen others but I'm drawing a blank right now.

如果你是13岁来美国,你的中文和英文都很好吧 8)
ironic it might sounds, that's the only movie I've watched when I went back to china last summer. It's pretty awkward to me. lol I didn't get the whole point of the movie. It's just a really weird movie if you ask me. Evolves from some kind of loneliness into pure social outcast and social psycho. oh god here it goes agian. 我英文中的可能太过分了, 但是真得想一想它只是一个鬼片。 我和我表姐一起去看的,哈哈她被吓得要死。但我只能在旁边大小,在电影厅里面只有大概10个人。4歌女坐在我们后面哭得要死 or2 on_ oN_ OTL
真的不只是笑还是哭。

Mode: CHinese -> English
awa!!! finally i am speaking english again. so stressful to spell everyword. I have a crappy keyboard btw. About Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, I've only managed to see a trialor of it. People say it is pretty awesome. But it appears to be some kind of sexual act. So I kept distance from it. oh well today i might just try to watch it for the hell of it. Hope I don't get grossed out too much and start puking :(

Calcifer
AiRen
AiRen

Post by Calcifer » Nov 24th, '05, 21:03

Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon: Movie sucks. Series rocks. Both are Taiwan makes, but one is obviously superior. :P Fans of the movie might want to kill me for saying that, but I was not impressed by the movie's sex and the 轻功/"flying" at all. If the plot was supposed to be deep and meaningful, all the rolling around in the sand and flying around ruined it for me. I liked "Hero"英雄 much better as a movie. It actually did make me think, and there was some semblance of logic to it.

There are actually a ton of Mainland idol series, a lot more than I expected. I used to think they only had wuxia/political/modern adult series too, but now I realize it's because I never looked for Mainland idol dramas before. Haven't gotten a chance to see many yet, but I'll be sure to advertise some when I do!

Oh boy: I gotta display some Feng Yun comics here. They're marvelous! In my opinion, this is what a comic should be like: real art and entertainment at once. Ma Rong Cheng (Ma Wing Shing in his native Cantonese) is an amazing artist.
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

云 Yun:
His most famous brooding pose:

风 Feng:

In the series, I liked Yun most of the time, but in the comics, Feng is way cooler.
Go to this site to find the comics online. :D

Sorry for such a huge post, but the art is too good not to show!

P0KEY
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by P0KEY » Nov 24th, '05, 21:08

omg! i just noticed this thread!!

WOW!!!!!!!! HI MY FELLOW CHINESE SPEAKING D-ADDICTERS!!

but come to think of it, why would i be surprised, because first of all, there are soo many people speaking chinese in the world now. :lol

pwner4once

Post by pwner4once » Nov 24th, '05, 22:05

Calcifer~
wow there are both the series and movie for Crouching Tiger HIdden Dragon? o.O haha im so naive. :cry: :blink Anyways the art piece after 云 reminds of 亚汉. I might spelt it wrong since it's from childhood. Lol i used to watch that :whistling: Does anyone know where I can get either the movie or the series?

boniface

Post by boniface » Nov 28th, '05, 09:39

Pwner4oncesorry I also just found out about the series so I don't know where I would find it.

P0KEY
Glad you found us, WELCOME! :cheers:

Calcifer
Wow, that art is so much better than most of the manga stuff nowadays, however much I enjoy that. It has a lot of style in it. 8)

What idol series are there? I haven't heard of many at all. Where are you looking on?
Last edited by boniface on Nov 30th, '05, 08:19, edited 1 time in total.

Calcifer
AiRen
AiRen

Post by Calcifer » Nov 28th, '05, 23:16

@pwner4once: haven't heard of that movie. 什么内容?

@boniface: yeah, I adore that guy's art. He's also made a comic-book from the movie Hero/英雄 and it's gorgeous.

So far I've watched three Mainland idol series: My Mischevious Angel (for once a correct literal translation), Sky (18岁的天空) and My Way (起跑天堂). All of them weren't bad at all. Good-looking people and plots that were acceptable and entertaining. I'm hoping to watch one about singing and another about racing when I have more time.

What's everyone entertaining themselves with right now? Ancient stuff, modern stuff, Chinese, Korean, Japanese, English, American...?

hmm_yeh

Post by hmm_yeh » Nov 28th, '05, 23:44

calcifer: those are niicee [referring to the pix]! -- I know I'm late, but niiiiceee!

>>> I'm trying hard to understand Japanese!! -- that's my main entertainment.. wait I'm lying.. HYD is my main focus.. School works that last on my list. My, how i need to get cracking!

boniface

Post by boniface » Nov 30th, '05, 08:28

Calcifer hey I've heard of the Sky one before. or actually I watched one episode of it. But I haven't heard of the other two. I will go search for them :-)

As for entertainments, right now I'm watching Nobuta no Produce. And I only episode 6 of 1 Liter of Tears, so I guess I'm not really watching that. I want to watch Full House really badly though, but maybe after Nobuta and whatnot.

galaxiechic

Post by galaxiechic » Nov 30th, '05, 17:31

hey im a chinese too!! though ahem.. my chinese is kinda .. lousy.. ah well... anyway.. i love korean dramas..XD..n some tvb 1s too

pe3kabo0

Post by pe3kabo0 » Nov 30th, '05, 18:40

lol my chinese is so rusty! ive never been to chinese school though so i'll just use that as an excuse lol

hmm.. has anyone watched the show Room in My Heart? its Singaporean and was aired a couple of years ago.. its a great show.. ^_^

oh er.. do you lot agree with what Zhang Ziyi has done acting in Memoirs of a Geisha? i found it quite wierd to be honest as the main parts were acted by chinese people when its a book based on japan... i saw on other forums about how the japanese people were outraged that there were not any japanese actors and it was mainly chinese and some chinese people said that nothing that Zhang Ziyi could do would like amend the sin that she has done.. quite frankly i loved the book and i cant wait to see the movie whoever its been acted by.

Calcifer
AiRen
AiRen

Post by Calcifer » Dec 1st, '05, 00:29

@ pe3kabo0: Personally, I don't really mind one way or another. To adapt anything to the big screen is already changing it from the original; no matter how "accurate" you try to be, there'll always be differences. I think deviation from the novel in this case is inevitable, because the movie adaptation is meant to have a life of its own and will ultimately be affected by whoever directs and acts in it, along with the style/mood used, scenery/sets chosen, etc etc, regardless of nationality of actors/actresses.

As actors/actresses play characters they are not in real life as a profession anyway, I don't see why race/nationality should stop talents from performing in a story set in a country not of their heritage. I personally don't like Zhang Zi Yi, but I don't hate her either. I'm one of those people who just thinks there are plenty of better actresses out there, but I don't think she's doing anything bad or terrible that hasn't been done before.

As long as the performances by these Chinese actresses are convincing and can move people who do not already have preconceived expectations for the movie, I think they have proven the idea that the protrayl of the role is the most important, regardless of race/nationality. Sometimes the best test of whether a movie adaption was successful or not is to see if someone who has no clue about the original story liked the movie, just for itself. No comparisons to the novel. If the movie came alive for them, then it was a good movie. It may have been a crappy adapation, but at least it'll have achieved half of its goal, and you can blame the lack of adherence to the novel on the screenplay. :P

Besides, it'll garner more interest in the novel, which is always a good thing.
Last edited by Calcifer on Dec 1st, '05, 02:56, edited 1 time in total.

GhstDreamer

Post by GhstDreamer » Dec 1st, '05, 02:23

pe3kabo0 wrote:lol my chinese is so rusty! ive never been to chinese school though so i'll just use that as an excuse lol

oh er.. do you lot agree with what Zhang Ziyi has done acting in Memoirs of a Geisha? i found it quite wierd to be honest as the main parts were acted by chinese people when its a book based on japan... i saw on other forums about how the japanese people were outraged that there were not any japanese actors and it was mainly chinese and some chinese people said that nothing that Zhang Ziyi could do would like amend the sin that she has done.. quite frankly i loved the book and i cant wait to see the movie whoever its been acted by.
Hi - Chinese Canadian here. My cantonese is quite rusty - my french is actually a lot better..lol...I haven't watched too many Taiwan dramas (especially since I do require english subs) but my favourite is Meteor Garden. I enjoy watching martial arts/historical chinese dramas like Heaven Sword and Dragon Sabre, Legend of the Condor Hero, The Battlefield. Modern HK dramas as well - though I have to admit I"m pretty old school and enjoy the ones back in the mid to late 80's and 90's like Greed of Man, Green Hope and Turbulent Decade. I do like some of the ones like War of Genders (probably the funniest asian drama ever! *hint hint for someone to ul a copy of it on bt lol) and Unstuck in Time.

I don't have any problems at all with the chinese actresses playing japanese characters - no big deal. I'm glad Hollywood doesn't limit chinese actresses to play only chinese roles and japanese actresses to play japanese roles....if that's the case then for aliens roles they're have to get aliens...lol...anyways, as long as the acting is feasible and the plot is interesting that's fine. I mean look at Sandra Oh who's Korean and she always plays a chinese character in movies and shows (Grey's Anatomy)...

P0KEY
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by P0KEY » Dec 1st, '05, 06:55

GhstDreamer wrote:
pe3kabo0 wrote:lol my chinese is so rusty! ive never been to chinese school though so i'll just use that as an excuse lol

Hi - Chinese Canadian here. My cantonese is quite rusty - my french is actually a lot better..lol...I haven't watched too many Taiwan dramas (especially since I do require english subs) but my favourite is Meteor Garden. I enjoy watching martial arts/historical chinese dramas like Heaven Sword and Dragon Sabre, Legend of the Condor Hero, The Battlefield. Modern HK dramas as well - though I have to admit I"m pretty old school and enjoy the ones back in the mid to late 80's and 90's like Greed of Man, Green Hope and Turbulent Decade. I do like some of the ones like War of Genders (probably the funniest asian drama ever! *hint hint for someone to ul a copy of it on bt lol) and Unstuck in Time.

I don't have any problems at all with the chinese actresses playing japanese characters - no big deal. I'm glad Hollywood doesn't limit chinese actresses to play only chinese roles and japanese actresses to play japanese roles....if that's the case then for aliens roles they're have to get aliens...lol...anyways, as long as the acting is feasible and the plot is interesting that's fine. I mean look at Sandra Oh who's Korean and she always plays a chinese character in movies and shows (Grey's Anatomy)...
sorry, this is totally irrelevant, but...

jerry yan is HOT HOT HOT. yup :heart:

sorry for the interupption...