STAY AWAY (1)
3%

Total votes: 66

xiaryx
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

[Discussion] Ai no Uta

Post by xiaryx » Oct 19th, '05, 03:29

How did you like Ai no Uta, starting the beautiful Kanno Miho? I think her role in this drama is very different from that of the others, which makes her more likable. What do you think?

*Please vote only after you have seen at LEAST 3 eps. Thanks!

gryzze
Administrator
Administrator

Post by gryzze » Oct 19th, '05, 22:20

I didn't expect much from this drama but it was actually really good. I can't wait to see the next episode... :-)

Seghal

Post by Seghal » Oct 19th, '05, 22:51

*edit*
Wrong thread. :whistling:

docsnoek

Post by docsnoek » Oct 20th, '05, 19:36

After seeing the first episodes (and the first 10 minutes of Ep.2 without understanding much...) it seems like a really nice drama. And Miho Kanno is just a very interesting woman. At first I wasn't sure where I knew her from, but then I remebered "Dolls". There I thought of her as a extremly fascinating person too. The other characters are nice too, though "his" (you know, the old guy...) niceness can get a bit annoying from time to time. Almost like Densha crying all the time ;-)

Dorobou

Post by Dorobou » Oct 20th, '05, 19:50

Episode 1 is indeed interesting, I tried this drama because of Tamaki Koji, because I've seen him in Konna Koi no Hanashi (that drama is good), and if you have seen that, it's like he's playing the same kind man role again. It fits him though. And yes a different Miho Kanno this time, though as the show goes on I think we'll see her usual sweet acting like her dramas before.

lilswtangel
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by lilswtangel » Oct 20th, '05, 20:51

I only watched the first episode so far
and it angers me to see the young girl being treated like that by her mother. however, Kanno Miho's character is very amusing
and I'm anticipating to see the next episode which is in mid-download. :-)

gryzze
Administrator
Administrator

Post by gryzze » Oct 21st, '05, 20:46

I realized a few things after seeing ep.2 and reading the wiki (maybe I'm just thick-headed and you know this already)...

1) The little girl also plays the little girl in Hotman (kawaii :-) )
2) The old guy is the artist who sings the theme song (I found that hard to believe).

Anyway, I thought ep.2 was really good too... :lol

One more episode and then I'll vote.

anneyuu

Post by anneyuu » Oct 22nd, '05, 00:04

To be honest I didn't expect anything great from this drama because I had finished the moving Ima Ai ni Yukimasu just few dayd before watching Ai no Uta. But it really surprised me and I watched the second ep yesterday. Now I'm waiting for the 3th ep * v * (the kids are soooooooo cute!!!!!)

docsnoek

Post by docsnoek » Oct 22nd, '05, 01:21

After seeing Ep2 I can only say, what a wonderful drama! I just love Miho Kanno in this, but the other people in it are just so adorable :) BTW, does anyone know where to find the bridge which seems to be a central point in this series? Since I will be going to Tokyo, I think I just want to go there for fun :) Google Earth Links are welcome ;)

Minaya

Post by Minaya » Oct 23rd, '05, 16:04

I think it's really well made, a lot of very nice ideas. It's extremely kitschy but in a good way!

Somehow I think... this dorama is not getting the attention it deserves...

neokenzo

Post by neokenzo » Oct 23rd, '05, 16:17

I think its a great drama. Somewhat different than most drama yet more realistic a bit. I too agree that its not getting the attention it deserves, probably due to other dramas that are out at the same time.

Rice

Post by Rice » Oct 26th, '05, 23:05

Is the main character really look that old like in the picture with white hair and stuffs?
http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Image:AinoUta22.jpg

gryzze
Administrator
Administrator

Post by gryzze » Oct 27th, '05, 01:02

Rice wrote:Is the main character really look that old like in the picture with white hair and stuffs?
http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Image:AinoUta22.jpg
No, look at his entry in the wiki:
http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Tamaki_Koji

Rice

Post by Rice » Oct 27th, '05, 03:10

What does "Ai no Uta " means?

qoogirl

Post by qoogirl » Oct 27th, '05, 04:13

Rice wrote:What does "Ai no Uta " means?
It means "Love Song," or....if you want a spoiler:
Because in episode 2, they decide that since she, Yoko (played by Kanno Miho) has lost her memory, they will give her a name that fits best. And it's 'Ai'. In Japanese, 'ai' means love. She remembers a girl in her class named 'Ai' saying she was named that because her parents wished for her to be loved by all people. So...anyway, perhaps it can be seen as "Ai's Song," too...now that she has been "reborn" or "renamed" LOVE--the one thing she has missed the most her entire life.
:-)

goygakgoy

Post by goygakgoy » Nov 1st, '05, 17:40

It's a good drama where I'm not sure if I want to finish it or not...depend on how the story goes. It's really interesting with such an amazing star. Worth checking out. The ending of ep1 was really good.

byagista

Post by byagista » Nov 2nd, '05, 19:40

It's definitely my #1 anticipated drama this season. I've already dropped Nobuta, Big Bro, and Kiken na Aneki from watching them. I guess I can expect myself to cry watching Ai no Uta and 1 Liter of Tears.

Eijnuhs

Post by Eijnuhs » Nov 2nd, '05, 22:47

Yes. Saw the first epd and got hooked on immedately.
Its such a sweet story ! I like the way they show this 2 contrasting characters !

Anyway, the theme song was good..well placed and incepted into the show !! anyone know where I can find it ?

gryzze
Administrator
Administrator

Post by gryzze » Nov 2nd, '05, 23:02

Eijnuhs wrote:Anyway, the theme song was good..well placed and incepted into the show !! anyone know where I can find it ?
Actually the theme song single was released today. I've ordered it and will post it here later (if no one beats me to it)... :-)

Shouta

Post by Shouta » Nov 3rd, '05, 04:50

If you could post it when you get it gryzze, that'd be greatly appreciated.

As for the Drama itself, this was my most anticipated show coming into the fall season because of Tamaki Koji. His last drama, Konna Koi no Hanashi, was fabulous and I can see why it was voted one of the best dramas of 1997 (as I recall). So I expected this to be just as good and it's impressing me. In fact, I think Ai no Uta and Konna Koi no Hanashi share a lot in common thematically and you can draw comparisons to both of them. It's not going to be the most popular drama this season (that'll be Hana Yori Dango if you ask me) but I do think it'll be the most meaningful.

Eijnuhs

Post by Eijnuhs » Nov 4th, '05, 17:18

THIS SHOW IS UNDERRATED !!! :alcoholic:

skrhgh3b

Post by skrhgh3b » Nov 10th, '05, 06:46

how can a show about a suicidal girl and a dying man be so... uplifting? it's an amazing feat. lately i've been as depressed as i can ever remember being, but somehow this drama still makes me feel good when i watch it.

wachi

Post by wachi » Nov 10th, '05, 07:00

this drama is slowly growing on me, basically for one reason, Hiroki Narimiya.. but overall, the drama is quite sweet & touching. those kids are so adorable.

gryzze
Administrator
Administrator

Post by gryzze » Nov 12th, '05, 12:02

skrhgh3b wrote:how can a show about a suicidal girl and a dying man be so... uplifting? it's an amazing feat. lately i've been as depressed as i can ever remember being, but somehow this drama still makes me feel good when i watch it.
I agree... :-)

I cannot express how much I like this drama. I love the personalities of Matsuda Yoko (Miho) and Kataoka Yuji (Koji). And there's something with this drama that makes me love it more and more after each episode... :wub: :wub: :wub:

Like someone said, this drama is waaaay underrated...

laure_choc

Post by laure_choc » Nov 12th, '05, 12:13

i really love it so far, and each episode makes me want more too!
and i agree it's definitly underrated, i'll continue to speak about it around me, it may help ;)

skrhgh3b

Post by skrhgh3b » Nov 20th, '05, 05:25

ok, tell me i'm not the only one who cried his eyes out after episode six. this is the best drama of the season :wub:

raven_frost

Post by raven_frost » Nov 21st, '05, 04:50

The last few minutes of episode 6 were really touching but I'm starting to wonder whether Ai no Uta is going to be just like one of those other love stories because the developments hereafter seem rather apparent.

Still it is a rather charming, sweet drama though not really the best of its genre.

Shouta

Post by Shouta » Nov 21st, '05, 05:17

Yeah, I'm wondering about where the show is going to go now. It really feels like the developments will be obvious however, they could throw a curveball at us. As I pointed out in my previous post, there's a lot of parallels between this show and the last drama Tamaki Koji was in, Konna koi no Hanashi. I'm hoping that this develops like Konna Koi because that ended up being one of my absolute favorites.

neokenzo

Post by neokenzo » Nov 21st, '05, 05:21

IMO this is the best drama I this year, definitely one of the best drama I've seen. Definitely looking forward to the rest of the episodes. I do agree that this drama is underated.
I wonder whether Kataoka will die in the end or a miracle happens and he lives :)

Keeper of hells gate2

Post by Keeper of hells gate2 » Nov 21st, '05, 08:17

This is a pretty good drama. Although, I can kind of picture where its headed. The problem I have with this drama is the main character. She doesn't fit the role of a low self esteem, suicidal, negative person. I have a hard time buying into her character. I don't think its a lack of good acting, but more of "does a woman like her really going to have these type of problems" I just have a hard time buying into it. Is not like its not possible or it doeesn't happen, I just don't think its likely. A actress like the one in Star No Koi would have been perfect for this role "the stalker one". This is the best drama probably this season though. Kiken na Aneki is pertty bad so far neither main character is a good actor or doessn't play thier type of role well, the dialoge is bad and over exaggerated to a irratating point. Hani yo dango, is OK I just get the feeling that its more about putting very popular actors and actress together to generate ratings more so then a good story. Some times putting a "All Star" cast takes away from the drama and story. I liked the last round of dramas better, Slow Dance, Dragon Zazuka and of course Densha Otoka. (My appologizes for the spelling mistakes with names and titles) I have a hard enough time with english, rather less Japanese.

Shouta

Post by Shouta » Nov 21st, '05, 11:32

I think it's a matter of not really showing how low her self-esteem is rather than her look. In fact, I think Kanno Miho fits the role prefectly. They only bring up the fact that she has had problems in the past but don't really go into depth about how much it has affected her. Rather, they go into how she's changed by the Kataoka family. Without the extra emphasis on how down and out she is, the change in her personality doesn't really have the extra punch it needs to make the viewer empathize. It lacks a certain dramatic "oomph" like other shows of this type have. I think the message and content is sound but the show needs more "glitz and glamor" which is the opposite of something like Densha Otoko IMO.

Now to go off-topic a bit to reply to Keeper (sorry for the inconvience folks).

As for shows this season, I do think Ai no Uta is the best from a story standpoint but lacks the dramatic tension.

1 Liter of Tear is pretty good too but the content is, while based on a true story (as I recall), is kind of standard fare.

Kiken na Aneki is all over the place in terms of story so it really has a hard time focusing. The setup is great though and the supporting cast of characters is wonderful. The real problem is with Itoh Misaki and she shows, once again, she really isn't a very good actress. Moriyama Mirai on the other hand nails all of his stuff and his interactions with the rest cast is great IMO.

Brother Beat is the other one I'm watching and I think it's a pretty good show. Certainly better than Kiken na Aneki but I really haven't paid as much attention to Brother Beat than the other stuff. So it's a bit difficult to give it a full run down.

neokenzo

Post by neokenzo » Nov 26th, '05, 02:10

Just saw ep 7. Really great ep, a bit sad but still great. Its growing into a great show :)

SnWa

Post by SnWa » Nov 26th, '05, 04:34

I just watched eps 7 too, and I have to say that I was impressed with Kanno Miho's performance. I don't know what others think, but I thought the way she expressed different shades of emotions with the same word showed the mark of a great actress.

Keeper of hells gate2

Post by Keeper of hells gate2 » Nov 26th, '05, 07:10

Kanno Miho's is a good actress, she just isn't IMO properly cast for this role. The supporting cast is very good. The "outsider guy" and the energetic friend are played really well. As for the overall drama, it is starting to shape up to be pretty interesting. The main issue in my opinion isn't the possible love situation between the two main characters, but what will happen to the children and who will end up taking care of them. I am starting to get a little sick of the constant bridge shot all of the time. Its like half the drama is taking place on that bridge. What bridge is that any way?

ironicwave
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ironicwave » Nov 27th, '05, 02:04

i've only seen two episodes of this so far and it seems i'm constantly crying or laughing or both at the same time. it's really wonderful so far and i'm looking forward to catching up to you guys. :D

docsnoek

Post by docsnoek » Nov 27th, '05, 17:03

I think Kanno Miho is just perfect for this role. You can (well, at least I can) really feel, how hard it is for her to be loved and to change her own personality. But the support cast is truly great too. And little Shun is just the cutest ;) Oh, and Kanno Mihos outfits are just so cool sometimes. Good fashion sense :)

Actually, the only person I'm having the most problems with is Tamaki Koji. His overabundance of loving and smiling and being happy all the time really annoys me from time to time. This can go so far, that I feel happy when he is in pain for a change...

But I love the whole show, my favorite drama of this season.

teasonsky

Post by teasonsky » Nov 27th, '05, 17:19

My friend intro'd me this series, and I got hooked after the 1st episode.
I like the storyline.

It's sad that Kataoka has that illness. hmm...
Probably won't see a miracle after all... sad.

ironicwave
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ironicwave » Nov 27th, '05, 17:25

docsnoek wrote:Actually, the only person I'm having the most problems with is Tamaki Koji. His overabundance of loving and smiling and being happy all the time really annoys me from time to time. This can go so far, that I feel happy when he is in pain for a change...
:lol that's just cold. it is a bit saccharine though, but maybe it just takes that kind of endless flow to bring a character like miho's around. i agree on just about everything else, but i like the oldest kid best, all 3 are adorable as all get out, but he's the cutest.
i loved the obento scene when they tell them that the food wasn't bad, just too much of it. kawaiiiiii!!!! :wub:

bluespring

Post by bluespring » Nov 27th, '05, 18:12

neokenzo wrote:IMO this is the best drama I this year, definitely one of the best drama I've seen. Definitely looking forward to the rest of the episodes. I do agree that this drama is underated.
I wonder whether Kataoka will die in the end or a miracle happens and he lives :)
i defintely agreee :mrgreen: its a slow phase drama but i love the funny convo they have
and wakui emi is so funny :w00t:

neokenzo

Post by neokenzo » Nov 27th, '05, 18:20

ironicwave wrote:
docsnoek wrote:
i loved the obento scene when they tell them that the food wasn't bad, just too much of it. kawaiiiiii!!!! :wub:
I agree :lol :lol :lol

skrhgh3b

Post by skrhgh3b » Nov 28th, '05, 07:14

Keeper of hells gate2 wrote:I am starting to get a little sick of the constant bridge shot all of the time. Its like half the drama is taking place on that bridge. What bridge is that any way?
that's just about the emptiest critism i've read. in fact, i want to see more of that bridge now just to spite you. off to watch episode seven....

docsnoek

Post by docsnoek » Nov 28th, '05, 07:43

skrhgh3b wrote:
Keeper of hells gate2 wrote:I am starting to get a little sick of the constant bridge shot all of the time. Its like half the drama is taking place on that bridge. What bridge is that any way?
that's just about the emptiest critism i've read. in fact, i want to see more of that bridge now just to spite you. off to watch episode seven....
I tried to find it on Google Earth before, but no luck finding it yet. So if anyone knows... the next time I'm in Tokyo I will definitly go there :)

But bridges are really popular, you could make a fun drinking game out of it. Anytime a person crosses a bridge in any J-Drama you get to drink a shot or something :)

neokenzo

Post by neokenzo » Nov 28th, '05, 11:53

Most of the Jdrama I've seen are usually shot around the same place for that particular drama. This one happens to be on a bridge. Personally, I'm not bothered but it :P

Shouta

Post by Shouta » Nov 28th, '05, 17:46

If you want a real Drama drinking game, take a shot every time a character runs across town to get to where they need to when they hear someone is in trouble or may be in trouble.

Tatsumaki

Post by Tatsumaki » Dec 1st, '05, 15:36

docsnoek wrote:
I tried to find it on Google Earth before, but no luck finding it yet. So if anyone knows... the next time I'm in Tokyo I will definitly go there :)
Just found some location info for the show. :) I'm gonna go check out the bridge tomorrow!

http://loca.ash.jp/show/2005/d200510_ai.htm

docsnoek

Post by docsnoek » Dec 1st, '05, 20:39

Tatsumaki wrote:
docsnoek wrote:
Just found some location info for the show. :) I'm gonna go check out the bridge tomorrow!

http://loca.ash.jp/show/2005/d200510_ai.htm
Woah! What a cool site! I only wish I had known from it about one month earlier when I actually was in Japan :) Well, next time ... (I have to start saving money now... *g*)

raven_frost

Post by raven_frost » Dec 5th, '05, 03:09

Did anyone find Ep 8 weak compared to the earlier episodes? I can't seem to find in myself much compassion and sympathy for Takaoka's plight though it is a good change from seeing his annoyingly upbeat persona. What will happen to the children?

myke

Post by myke » Dec 5th, '05, 08:51

hai..
i now watching this series. i think this series is ok n not to slow.
i like the scene when all the kid finishing their obento. Ai-chan happy.(although the obento is realy delicious). well kid can't finish a big obento.
i think...hehhe :P

techie
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by techie » Dec 5th, '05, 09:04

Episode 8 was
a bit different but the change in pase was bound to happen.
btw, isn't "Takaoka" (TAMAKI Koji) also in "Satouokibi batake" with Aya-chan, and "Konna koi no hanashi"?
It will be all up from here I bet,
after all it's a JDorama

laure_choc

Post by laure_choc » Dec 5th, '05, 10:13

techie wrote:btw, isn't "Takaoka" (TAMAKI Koji) also in "Satouokibi batake" with Aya-chan, and "Konna koi no hanashi"?
i can't say about the first but he was in "Konna Koi no Hanashi"

dorakura

Post by dorakura » Dec 8th, '05, 16:39

I have really enjoyed this series so far. I'd say it's one of the best in recent years. The success of this series, IMHO, depends on the fate of Kataoka. Some believable miracle MUST happen to cure his disease. That would be the only reasonable conclusion to the story, as far as I'm concerned. "Love conquers all" kind of message. I'm looking forward to such a happy, uplifting ending.

If I like the ending, I'll help provide esub. (I'm a language professional.)

skrhgh3b

Post by skrhgh3b » Dec 10th, '05, 05:33

dorakura wrote:I have really enjoyed this series so far. I'd say it's one of the best in recent years. The success of this series, IMHO, depends on the fate of Kataoka. Some believable miracle MUST happen to cure his disease. That would be the only reasonable conclusion to the story, as far as I'm concerned. "Love conquers all" kind of message. I'm looking forward to such a happy, uplifting ending.

If I like the ending, I'll help provide esub. (I'm a language professional.)

at first, i thought kataoka should die, not because i wanted him to, but i thought it would have made a real and powerful ending. but now i want the series to have the most unrealistic, only-in-a-drama happy ending ever. i cried my eyes out after episode 9... again. i'll be estatic if kataoka has a miracle, but it wouldn't surprise me if he still passes away....

neokenzo

Post by neokenzo » Dec 10th, '05, 05:47

I think Kataoka will die. It will be a bit too unrealistic if he doesnt suddenly die. Having said that I am sure there will be a twist in the last episode :)

Tatsumaki

Post by Tatsumaki » Dec 10th, '05, 06:58

neokenzo wrote:I think Kataoka will die. It will be a bit too unrealistic if he doesnt suddenly die. Having said that I am sure there will be a twist in the last episode :)
It does seem unrealistic, although around episode 5 or 6 the doctor said that a miracle was possible, so the writers have done the setup.

It didn't matter so much to me before whether he lived or died, but after seeing the fantastic ending to episode 9 if he dies I think I will be very unhappy with this drama.
Dai-kun performed the "miracle" with his home run, so Kataoka has to survive, right? :)

Shouta

Post by Shouta » Dec 10th, '05, 08:51

I am starting to get a little sick of the constant bridge shot all of the time. Its like half the drama is taking place on that bridge.
Well, in a way it's a metaphor. Bridges are used to connect one piece of land to another over a body of water or a crevasse in real life. By connecting the two you present new possiblities to yourself. This is the same way for the story. The bridge represents the path to get through the conflicts these characters face, the water represents the problems themselves, while the land on either side of the bridge represents a past and a future. Think about how the show sets up some of its scenes and etc. Also, look over the plot events of the first episode and apply what I just said to that. The show is certainly more interesting in that regard. ;)

I am kind of tired of the bridges though. I want tos ee more of the pretty female police officers.

JapanSuki

Post by JapanSuki » Dec 10th, '05, 15:40

This is my fav. show of this season, even better than Hana Yori Dango (HYD is my 2nd favorite, Oniyome Nikki 3, Kiken na Aneki 4). ^_^
My argumentation? Well, I'm an uber-IRC slut, and this is the only show which I watch straight to the end without pausing it and checking for new msgs in the channels. >_<

neokenzo

Post by neokenzo » Dec 10th, '05, 16:00

Tatsumaki wrote:
neokenzo wrote:I think Kataoka will die. It will be a bit too unrealistic if he doesnt suddenly die. Having said that I am sure there will be a twist in the last episode :)
It does seem unrealistic, although around episode 5 or 6 the doctor said that a miracle was possible, so the writers have done the setup.

It didn't matter so much to me before whether he lived or died, but after seeing the fantastic ending to episode 9 if he dies I think I will be very unhappy with this drama.
Dai-kun performed the "miracle" with his home run, so Kataoka has to survive, right? :)
I think its because of those 2 reasons, if he lives, its just too unrealistic. For me, it would be anti climax last episode if he didnt die.

gryzze
Administrator
Administrator

Post by gryzze » Dec 10th, '05, 16:06

I think this series ending will be all about what happens to the children...

That's why he "has" to die. Sad, true, but I think there can still be a happy ending.
Who will take care of the children. Will they be happy? :-)

neokenzo

Post by neokenzo » Dec 10th, '05, 16:11

I agree with you gryzze. Also I think what happens to Ai-chan as well will decides the ending :)

ironicwave
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ironicwave » Dec 10th, '05, 23:53

i had hoped he'd accept her proposal, that would've naturally led to ai-chan taking the kids after he passes away... maybe he still will later on... who knows...
if nothing else, i still think she'll end up taking care of them... i really don't see grandparents suddenly rushing into the picture when ai-chan has finally found her family... the kids accept her and this seems to be a situation of mutual need of each other... nothing else makes sense at this point... it would be nice to see him miraculously survive, but that would be an uber-cheesy ending....
i didn't really want more than friendship to develop between kataoka and ai-chan at first, because i would've neatly wrapped up narimiya's character, her and the kids later on... however, that would be in bad taste with developments as they are... XD
so, miraculous recovery aside, i hope for ai-chan to at least keep what's left of her little family... they fit so well together...

techie
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by techie » Dec 11th, '05, 00:13

What Neokenzo says about
performing the miracle...
would seriously...
destroy shun while growing up and...
as ironicwave said...
they do fit well together, so if Kataoka-san dies who is better equipped than Ai-chan to care for Shun who will come out thinking nothing what he believed in matters.
(how you now romanize this but)
Ikiteru yo, Kataoka-san... ne.. ne... tabu ... tabu...

Tatsumaki

Post by Tatsumaki » Dec 11th, '05, 05:50

I visited "the bridge" last week, and I thought I'd share some of the photos with you!

If you are in Tokyo, it's really easy to find: take the Yurakucho subway line (有楽町線) to Tatsumi station (辰巳駅) and go out Exit 1.

Image Image Image
ImageImage Image
Image Image

neokenzo

Post by neokenzo » Dec 11th, '05, 05:54

Nice pictures Tatsumaki :)

nikochanr3

Post by nikochanr3 » Dec 12th, '05, 19:06

i know some people are saying its LOGICAL that he dies. True, its logical in real life. In the tone of the drama, i'm really not too sure. a funeral scene with everyone crying and no real happy upside possible would be surreal and really out of place.

while i understand why some of you almost NEED him to die for it to be realistic (although i feel almost bad for you that you need that) it almost feels out of place in the show.

remember, this was marketed with bright orange and pink posters with the two people smiling at each other.

we shall see... :salut:

Tatsumaki

Post by Tatsumaki » Dec 13th, '05, 03:14

neokenzo wrote:Nice pictures Tatsumaki :)
Thank you! :)

Shouta

Post by Shouta » Dec 13th, '05, 09:11

Nice pictures Tatsu but why aren't there any stars =(

auroragb

Post by auroragb » Dec 13th, '05, 16:14

nikochanr3 wrote:i know some people are saying its LOGICAL that he dies. True, its logical in real life. In the tone of the drama, i'm really not too sure. a funeral scene with everyone crying and no real happy upside possible would be surreal and really out of place.

while i understand why some of you almost NEED him to die for it to be realistic (although i feel almost bad for you that you need that) it almost feels out of place in the show.

remember, this was marketed with bright orange and pink posters with the two people smiling at each other.

we shall see... :salut:
No .... I think it would be more likely that they have his death and fast forward 2 years with Ai as "mom" for the kids. Funeral scenes are generally more used in mid-drama or in the beginning ...

nikochanr3

Post by nikochanr3 » Dec 13th, '05, 16:57

yes, i agree that's the other outcome i see.

i still don't think he needs to die for the drama to be good. there's enough "have disease and get sick and die " dramas.....this isn't even the only one this season.

techie
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by techie » Dec 13th, '05, 17:17

nikochanr3 wrote:yes, i agree that's the other outcome i see.

i still don't think he needs to die for the drama to be good. there's enough "have disease and get sick and die " dramas.....this isn't even the only one this season.
I have to agree with both points here.

Besides, the only dorama
("Konna koi no hanashi" spoiler - dont say I didnt warn ya...)
I found had a good ending where the lead character dies, and the show doesn't "die with him" was "Konna koi no hanashi".
...which had an excellent ending.

auroragb

Post by auroragb » Dec 13th, '05, 17:22

nikochanr3 wrote:yes, i agree that's the other outcome i see.

good points, I might be thinking too conventionally. and jdoramas can be quite unconventional

nikochanr3

Post by nikochanr3 » Dec 13th, '05, 18:46

i think the uncoventional thing here is that AI has already discovered herself....she doesn't need him to die to finish her transformation (although it would certainly cap it if he did). the pacing in that way is weird.

its not like SEKAI NO CHUSHIN DE or something like that where the whole thing is leading us to that point of the main character's death (it's heading there from 5 minutes in and on)

its interesting... :scratch:

techie
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by techie » Dec 13th, '05, 19:03

Perhaps all the reasons above is why I (we) love asian dorama so much.
Because of the unconventional thinking by the writers, directors and so on.
Plus, the added bonus, they do tend to have a less stoic view on life as a part of the whole and include death with a different aspect to it.

Regardless of how you see it, I believe the ending of Ai no Uta will have something extra up its sleeve, and probably be a very (I sure hope so) fitting way to end this.
(even if we dont want it to :unsure: )

Another thing...
Notice the ending title, how they all "meet again" in some sort of other existence, all dressed in white.
Perhaps a hint to how it ends, I dont know.

nikochanr3

Post by nikochanr3 » Dec 13th, '05, 22:13

if he dies, i'm going to be irritated, not cause i didn't enjoy the series, but because it wasn't marketed as a "guy dying of a disease" show (it really wasn't, it was a woman who winds up living with a guy and his three kids) and was all pink and orange and such. :cussing: And if he dies, its a dude dying of a disease show, albeit a good offbeat one.

after Sekai no Chushin de i swore no more people dying of disease series, cause that was HARD. i saw a lot of parallels to me and my life, and i understood the characters so much and that was really HARD. :cry: I needed a vacation after that...

then this show SUCKED me in....

SnWa

Post by SnWa » Dec 14th, '05, 02:33

techie wrote:Besides, the only dorama
("Konna koi no hanashi" spoiler - dont say I didnt warn ya...)
I found had a good ending where the lead character dies, and the show doesn't "die with him" was "Konna koi no hanashi".
...which had an excellent ending.
Almost from the start, I've been expecting a "Konna koi no hanashi"-style ending, which ultimately was an uplifting conclusion.

I watched this drama primarily because there was a lead from "Konna koi no hanashi" and a lead from "Koi ga shitai" -- two series that have become favourites. In some respects, I'm finding "Ai no Uta" shares thematic elements with each of these other series.

Shouta

Post by Shouta » Dec 14th, '05, 07:52

SnWa wrote: Almost from the start, I've been expecting a "Konna koi no hanashi"-style ending, which ultimately was an uplifting conclusion.

I watched this drama primarily because there was a lead from "Konna koi no hanashi" and a lead from "Koi ga shitai" -- two series that have become favourites. In some respects, I'm finding "Ai no Uta" shares thematic elements with each of these other series.
Yeah, it has a lot in common with both series in themes which I find really interesting. I also gotta admit, there's a lot of parallels with Konna koi no Hanashi in Ai no Uta. In fact, Ai no Uta has this laid back atmosphere that Konna koi no Hanashi had for most of its run as well. It wasn't until the last few episodes that Konna Koi tweaked up the drama level a bit. It's also a bit amusing that the best and most dramatic episode of Konna Koi no Hanashi, episode 9 (one of my favorite drama episodes ever), is actually also the episode that's been the most dramatic for Ai no Uta. Not only that, both of them has had Tamaki Koji dealing with children. :blink