Hana Yori Dango VS Meteor Garden

Talk about the culture and entertainment from Nihon.

Meteor Garden Vs Hana Yori Dango

Poll ended at Nov 24th, '05, 21:03

Metoer Garden
45%
Hana Yori Dango
55%

Total votes: 166

nahn1004ya

Hana Yori Dango VS Meteor Garden

Post by nahn1004ya » Oct 25th, '05, 21:03

First of all I liked it a lot!
the tai version of Hanayoridango had a lot of comedy
while the jap version was more realistic.

At first i thought the casting could have been better.
i actually thought Oguri Shun should have played Tsukasa
while Matsumoto Jun should have player Loui (is this the way to spell it?) because of the their height and how they were built.
but as the drama went on I started to get more mesemerized at Oguri and Matsumoto's
portrayal of Loui and Tsukasa, respectfully.

Secondly, the girl,Tsukushi, was much better then the tai version in that she really seems to be a better actor since she is able to portray, she also plays Tsukasa's older sister, Tsubasha.

Thirdly, in comparison to the tai version, the jap version seems more serious. F4 seems more hard core. When i saw the tai version, i laughed like crazy, the comic essence of the cartoon seems to have been captured well and Tsukushi's parents in the tai version seems to be more of a hilarious character rather than someone really trying to do all they can for their daughter.
Also, the jap version seems to be more sophisticated because of its realism.

well, i guess it depends on each person to decide which version they like or who's portrayal of which charater is better.
but overall the two versions are very different and should be like in their own way.

maea_maie

Post by maea_maie » Oct 27th, '05, 06:37

both stories were d same but in their very own different way.

appearances, I Think Tai F4 got it, but in acting wise, hands down to Jap F4. Tai version is more comica and longer. in Jap version u could really feel d power and wealth of F4. that they could actually bring Hana Yori Dango to life. the hauz, d skul, d cake shop... it^s really eye widening. the castings in both versions is very gud, and evn frm d very beggining i knw dt Jun Matsumoto cld really bring his character to lyf. not only becoz m a fan of his but also becoz m a one of d televiewers too.

I luv both verions but we juz can^t really stop comparing it becoz it^s become automatic u knw.

chocoholix

Post by chocoholix » Oct 27th, '05, 20:48

The Japanese version is much more realistic and believable while the Taiwan version came across as much more idol drama type – I thought they were to busy with the idea of selling F4 than compared to bringing Hana Yori Dango to life.

The acting skills of the Japanese cast are definitely much much better. Its only been episode one and I have already been impressed. In Meteor Garden the acting was terrible. But I watched on anyways… probably due to the beautiful cast haha. I’m not sure if it was the cast fault or merely fault with the script and production coz I’ve seen Barbie Xu and Vic Zhou in Mars and they were both good. Vanness was good in Star Runner and Jerry was okay in Magic Kitchen. And as F4 they delivered pretty well in another tdrama Come To My Place – Ken and Vic was really good, Jerry was so-so

bloopy_babo

Post by bloopy_babo » Oct 27th, '05, 21:00

i really love hana yori dango. the casting and the whole tone of the drama fits the manga and even more in the depth of the seriousness. i think anyone who has read the manga would definetly choose hana yori dango over meteor garden. besides.. it is the real japanese origin.

Spike23

Post by Spike23 » Oct 27th, '05, 21:04

I liked the taiwan version more.
The jap version was more realistic though, its more dark too compared to the taiwan version. The guys in the jap version aren't as mature though.

Aprisea

Post by Aprisea » Oct 27th, '05, 21:28

I prefer Taiwase version than japanese. I don't like Jun Matsumoto as Doumyoji, I think that that Oguri Junt could do it better.
Manga of HYD was serious but it has a lot of comedy too, it seems that Jap version is too serious :(
But we have to see more chapters to compare them :P

I really like Matsumoto Jun in Kimi Wa petto, but I noticed in this drama that he's got bad face skin :(

mikomi

Post by mikomi » Oct 27th, '05, 23:20

It's a tad too early to compare, don't you think?? Meteor Garden is completed, whereas HYD has just started, and only the first episode was shown. It might seem serious and dark for now, but who knows, it might get lighter in later episodes. But no matter what, I like the Japanese version better. I can be biased, because I hate the Taiwanese version. But if you talk about production values and the actings, the Japanese drama is much much better.

kinki

Post by kinki » Oct 27th, '05, 23:26

its too early to make comaprison since we only watched 1 ep of the Japanese "Hanadan"

to be frank.....i didnt like Meteor Garden (Taiwanese version) although i watched it all.
i think Japanese will portray this story better since the actors/actresses in the Japanese version are more skillful than Taiwanes actors/actresses.

also, the Taiwanes F4 was all about the look and thats it, i didnt see any skillful acting at all.

rinimeatballs

Post by rinimeatballs » Oct 27th, '05, 23:40

its only eps one... so far its a good eps. went by quicker then the tai ver. but so far the acting seems better in japanese ver i feel im getting more out the char. through the story line. . ...whats up with that moms eyebrows.... anyways haha yea i'll answer after maybe 3 more eps of this drama

TNF
Fansubber
Fansubber

Re: How did u see Hanayoridango compared to Tai version?

Post by TNF » Oct 28th, '05, 00:36

nahn1004ya wrote:First of all I liked it a lot!
the tai version of Hanayoridango had a lot of comedy
while the jap version was more realistic.

At first i thought the casting could have been better.
i actually thought Oguri Shun should have played Tsukasa
while Matsumoto Jun should have player Loui (is this the way to spell it?) because of the their height and how they were built.
but as the drama went on I started to get more mesemerized at Oguri and Matsumoto's
portrayal of Loui and Tsukasa, respectfully.

Secondly, the girl,Tsukushi, was much better then the tai version in that she really seems to be a better actor since she is able to portray, she also plays Tsukasa's older sister, Tsubasha.

Thirdly, in comparison to the tai version, the jap version seems more serious. F4 seems more hard core. When i saw the tai version, i laughed like crazy, the comic essence of the cartoon seems to have been captured well and Tsukushi's parents in the tai version seems to be more of a hilarious character rather than someone really trying to do all they can for their daughter.
Also, the jap version seems to be more sophisticated because of its realism.

well, i guess it depends on each person to decide which version they like or who's portrayal of which charater is better.
but overall the two versions are very different and should be like in their own way.
:goggle: I thought you meant the thailand version? And jap??
Anyway, I still have to watch the taiwan version. Heck I never even finished reading the manga. I deleted it, but I guess I'll get it off of irc again. I wanna read the manga b4 watching the drama. I'll stay away from hana yori dango threads now. But I kind of spoiled it for myself already. I was looking up some info on the f4 cast from meteor garden, and I have a hunch tsunki ended up with
(Tsukasa)
However while reading the manga I was actually rooting for
Hanzawa Rui

Pippin

Post by Pippin » Oct 28th, '05, 01:18

I think it's unfair to compare F4's acting skills with the Japanese cast since it was their first time acting while most of the Japanese cast had experience before.

Is this drama really 9 45-min episodes?? Because the manga.. was like 36 volumes and the Taiwanese ver was 27 episodes.

hiyoko

Post by hiyoko » Oct 28th, '05, 02:39

to be continue,but i like JUN.

jayph

Post by jayph » Oct 28th, '05, 02:59

Spike23 wrote:I liked the taiwan version more.
The jap version was more realistic though, its more dark too compared to the taiwan version. The guys in the jap version aren't as mature though.
I hate to burst your buble but after all they are supposed to be HIGH SCHOOL student. Taiwanese F4 looks much older than high school kids

sadotsu

Post by sadotsu » Oct 28th, '05, 03:06

jayph wrote:
I hate to burst your buble but after all they are supposed to be HIGH SCHOOL student. Taiwanese F4 looks much older than high school kids
That's because in the Taiwanese version they purposely changed the story so that it was in a university setting, so as not to disturb viewers with what kind of things could be happening to high school kids.

killmesarah

Post by killmesarah » Oct 28th, '05, 03:25

both tsukasas are damn hot *__*

moonlit

Post by moonlit » Oct 28th, '05, 06:18

I voted Matsujun simply because I like him better and he has a certain charm I guess. Jerry was good but mostly because the storyline was so great, it needed only functional actors and it would be a success anyway.

mavy

Post by mavy » Oct 28th, '05, 13:51

i find HYD (jap version) really entertaining... :lol i especially liked oguri shun's portrayal of rui... :wub: his acting here really impressed me a lot... at first, i also thought of having matsujun as rui and oguri as tsukasa, however, turns out they really fit their respective roles...
i also have to commend their soujiro/ximen, he really looked like a playboy... only though, their akira/meizhuo seemed more of a playboy than him... i'm not sure about it in the manga though because i've only seen meteor garden...
with regards to the setting, i really loved the way the school was presented, it really implied the arrogance and grand lifestyles of students there... also i love the house of tsukasa... :w00t:
their sancai was also a very good actress!!! :thumright:

now, with regards to MG (tai version)... i liked their daomingsi/tsukasa's fighting skills more... matsujun tends to punch gentler for some reason for me... :D although i'd have to say matsujun was scarier compared to jerry...
i would have to give zaizai or taiwan's huazelei/rui an equal score with oguri's portrayal... their attacks were somewhat same in character, but both of them really did rui's character justice..
both vanness and ken were not given that much light during the start of the series, that i actually found it hard to remember their characters' names at first... however while in between their series, i would have to say both their looks and acting improved... :D and i really love ken's portrayal of ximen, especially when he fell in love with the character of xiao you... :wub:

aznprincess

Post by aznprincess » Oct 28th, '05, 13:56

Ofcourse the Japanese version is WAAYYY better than the Taiwanese version. The story is more realistic and the acting is SUPER...plus Matsumoto Jun and Oguri is HOOOOTTTT in there.

adrian22

Post by adrian22 » Oct 28th, '05, 13:57

hmn...guess i cant make any decision yet since its only first episode...but i really prefer and looking forward for the japan one....the taiwan version with F4...is just klinda boring.......especially with F4 which is famous for being criticized as "not matured" acting....

WroW
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by WroW » Oct 28th, '05, 14:01

In the Japanese Version the guys really look like the flowery 4 (if you know what I mean) :roll :whistling:

I think I still prefer the TW Version.

kljs

Post by kljs » Oct 28th, '05, 14:18

I only like Meteor Garden 2. ;)

Anyway, I think the Jdrama is better than Meteor Garden. ;)

linco

Post by linco » Oct 28th, '05, 14:50

Pippin wrote:I think it's unfair to compare F4's acting skills with the Japanese cast since it was their first time acting while most of the Japanese cast had experience before.

Is this drama really 9 45-min episodes?? Because the manga.. was like 36 volumes and the Taiwanese ver was 27 episodes.
i agree. ppl were criticizing the taiwanese F4, but they were chosen based on their looks and MG was their first acting job. I personally think that the Japanese cast was based on popularity and not on who would best fit the role. i like matsumoto jun in gokusen, but i still cant see him as part of F4. i personally liked the taiwanese version A LOT but the japanese version is more realistic.

scstyle
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by scstyle » Oct 28th, '05, 15:24

So far, I still like the Taiwanese F4 better - namely Jerry and Vic, who I think both suited their roles well. In fact, I think they were spot-on with the casting of Vic as Hanazawa Rui <3

Tsukushi's mama/papa as well as Kaede Doumyouji also seemed much better in the Taiwanese version. The Taiwanese Kaede was much more scary/mean and she even had the same hairstyle as in the manga XD

Mao does a great job as Makino Tsukushi though and I think she really carries the show. I liked Barbie Hsu's portrayal of Makino too but Mao looks more like the actual manga/anime character.
Last edited by scstyle on Oct 28th, '05, 15:39, edited 1 time in total.

JadedAngel

Post by JadedAngel » Oct 28th, '05, 15:30

Well as a few people mentioned, its a bit early to be comparing. However, with Meteor Garden sure the acting was not as good but you all must remember that the majority of the cast was new to acting at the time, so of course their skills were low. As for this new Japanese version, riding on the success of Meteor Garden even years later, OF COURSE the Japanese are going to try to make it better. Meaning better actors, better production, etc., because they know comparisons will crop up not only with Meteor Garden but wasn't there another live action of HYD done? I could be mistaken on that one. Either way I will be biased and say the Taiwanese one is better. The cast was so much cuter, and I loved its hilarity even if it didn't sync as well with the manga. It is one of my all-time favorites despite criticisms against it. :lol

vis

Post by vis » Oct 28th, '05, 16:21

I agree with the opinion that TW version and JAP version is so much different that they should be enjoyed separatedly~~ The TW focusing on the comedy and the jap on making it more realistic and being more serious. I enjoyed Meteor Garden, but from what I've seen of the jap one I'll be sure to enjoy that one as well :)

I really liked how well they portrayed the rich society in jap drama, it was too lacking in the tw version and I think the makino girl fits real well :) She looks and acts just right for the drama~~ I think Oguri Shun did as well (exceeded my expectations), but in my eyes he just lack the X factor that Vic Zhou had (and still has)... can't really explain it, but I that first of all Vic Zhou has more charm and secondly that he grasped Hanazaw Rui's dark autistic essence much better than Oguri Shun. Hanazaw Rui always had this cold, indifferent aura (only his actions contradicted) in the beginning of the story and it was waay in into the story before he really ligthens up... So I was mighty annoyed when I watched Oguri's Rui smiling encouragingly at Makino at the end of ep1~~ (He should have been indifferent!) ^^;;;;; *talking about getting fixated on things~~

Well that's just what I think... it shall be interesting to see more of the jap drama and which events they will take from the manga :)

lerolero

Post by lerolero » Oct 28th, '05, 17:13

taiwanese one is funnier than jap one

x_XJules
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by x_XJules » Oct 29th, '05, 03:06

i agree with Pippin!!

If you watched mars you'd notice that Vic got A LOT better at acting! and so did vanness in star runner.

i think both are well but jerry definitely had the image.

either way i love both!!

nahn1004ya

Post by nahn1004ya » Oct 29th, '05, 07:59

nahn1004ya wrote: Secondly, the girl,Tsukushi, was much better then the tai version in that she really seems to be a better actor since she is able to portray, she also plays Tsukasa's older sister, Tsubasha.
i think i got the wrong info about how she is also tsukasa's older sister... anyways so far i'm enjoying the jap version way more than the tai version...

i really like how fast the story goes without any awkwardness.
also, it gets you really into it...

DuffFan

Post by DuffFan » Oct 29th, '05, 15:53

i think Japanese version is better overall!!!
but jerry does a much better job than matsumoto.
i just have this thing against matsumoto. i dont think he is goodlooking at all, and i dont like his hair, even if its to follow the manga.

and then again, jerry is just downright kakkoi in meteor garden

Moomin

Post by Moomin » Oct 30th, '05, 15:58

It is probably (copying what others had said) too early to compare, but I'd like to note the minor details the japanese version had considered. From the small things like expensive watches to the big things like Matsumoto Jun's Graaaaaaaaand house. I think they put a lot of effort in the little details to convey the whole mood and make it clear that these people are really really on the top of society. I think the Taiwanese version had a bit of that, but not enough to make you feel like it was actually Grand. Exterior factors of course. Also the music/sounds played in the Japanese versions really helped with the atmosphere. From what I remember of the Taiwanese version there was less of that and more conversations and sometimes natural background sound.

The Japanese version is definitely darker, even the humor used was darker.
Second episode with the Harry Potter dining hall :lol

But yepp, Jerry seemed more suited for Domyoji's role. Mostly because of his built more than his acting skills. Matsumoto Jun is a bit too scrawny and not tall enough...(my opinion) His acting is still good.

i3lu3fun

Post by i3lu3fun » Oct 30th, '05, 16:07

i love japanese version over taiwan, plus the manga is from japan... but the F4 guys from taiwan is much more hot!!! :D

Sugarflake

Post by Sugarflake » Oct 31st, '05, 04:21

I loved Meteor Garden...but this version also has me hooked^^
I agree with alot of what you guys have said..like how MG was more of a comedy and HD ish more serious...
But seriously..i do prefer the Tw cast because for some reason..i just think they suited their roles perfectly!^^ And although people have criticised them for their acting...I though Vic portrayed Rui perfectly..his aura was mesmerising^^ plus he's uber good looking^^ Of course I love OguriShun in HD as well..although I think he seems less "dark and mysterious" than Vic's Rui..But i think he suits the more highschool quiet cool guy kinda role...they deliver 2 different Ruis..but both very very appealing^^
Doumiyouji..on the other hand..I seriously prefer Jerry over Jun..haha double J..but yerh..I think not only ish Jerry's build more suitable (Jun seems just a bit too scrawny...and the way he walks..which i've noticed from Gokusen..ish very..i duno..awkward..like kinda girly?) but also..i like his portrayal...despite it being a little bit stiff..since it was his first time..but i liked the almost innocent bullying...because he came across as spoilt and immature..as well as seeking the attention that he lacks at home... whereas Jun's portrayal just comes across to me as evil and ...lolz desparately needing anger management^^ he creeps me out..
Don't get me wrong..I still loved him in Gokusen..just i don't really like him as Doumiyouji^^;;..Plus i cant see him..suiting Tsukushi..though OguriShun does match with her..
BUt anywho...I do like actress who plays Tsukushi...Barbie looked more mature..suiting the university setting...and this girl was more cute and suited the whole highschool setting^^
HOWEVER...i must disagree with the people who said the jap version has better acting..because aside from the 3 leads..i havent noticed much "better" acting..
Well that was my long analysis..I haven't read the Manga..so this is just based on my feelings towards the 2 dramas..Cant wait for the rest of HD^^ Looks like ish gona be uber!!

heppy

Post by heppy » Oct 31st, '05, 04:51

didn't really watch the tai version.. saw 1 epi or so here n there.. so all i can say is.. i like the jap 1.. haha.. they didn't have really ridiculously comical scenes to make the show funny.. but it just makes me feel very happy watching it.. n did many ppl just say it's more dark n serious? i find the show quite cute.. haha.. only saw the anime of HYD n i love it.. ^^ matsujun makes a more dislikable tsukasa.. awww his irritating bossy face.. >.> but i haven't watched the taiwan version to confirm..

n oh.. forgot to add.. i love the jap tsukushi.. she's soooooooooo kawaii!! hahas.. ^^
Last edited by heppy on Oct 31st, '05, 05:14, edited 1 time in total.

shiruchan

Post by shiruchan » Oct 31st, '05, 05:00

I´ve read the manga, watched the first two episodes of Meteor Garden and Hana Yori Dango.

I would have to wait and watch completely these two versions, but from what I´ve watched... I must say the taiwanese F4 are hotter and more handsome than the japanese F4. But the acting of Japanese version, the locations, the background music... all the rest... are wayyyyy better than taiwanese version.

About the actors:
Matsumoto Jun fits perfectly as Tsukasa of manga. He´s not tall, not strong as should be, but he´s good looking (I think!), and his acting skills are really good. Impressed me, since I´ve never seen his acting before.
Maybe the taiwanese Rui... is better than Oguri Shun. Well... Maybe both of them are good as Rui!
But definitely, Tsukushi from japanese version is the BEST!
As for the rest of F4... I prefer the taiwanese ones! :D

aisu_kurimu

Post by aisu_kurimu » Oct 31st, '05, 05:03

Jerry Yan's Tsukasa was way too whiny for my taste. Yeah, he beat up people, but it didn't compare to the level of cruelty that I think Matsujun portrays better. I think Vic Zhou and Oguri Shun are comparable acting wise, but I think Vic Zhou has the better look for the Rui part.

As for Soujiro and Akira, both Taiwanese and Japanese guys leave... something to be desired. Maybe they were cast so as not to outshine the main two characters, Domyouji and Rui?

Makino... I think Barbie Xu did a decent job in acting. The Makino in the Japanese version is much cuter, and I think more realistic to play the part of Tsukushi. Tsukushi was never supposed to be as slim as Barbie Xu is. She is a rounder character, and maybe even a little stocky and short, like the Japanese one.

Overall though, Japanese version gets my vote. The Taiwanese "wealthy" scenes were too cheesy, and really not fashionable. At least the Japanese have a better understanding on what rich boys would wear.

Mademoiselle

Post by Mademoiselle » Oct 31st, '05, 05:17

I have finished Meteor Garden, and I liked it. But after watching the Jap version (2 ep) I like the Jap more. For me the jap version is way better. That's all I'm going to say.

finrennix

Taiwanese versus Japanese

Post by finrennix » Oct 31st, '05, 08:47

I prefer the Japanese version because the actors seem to be better at acting than the Taiwanese actors. Hopefully this version will follow the plot of the manga. I preferred the manga over the deviation that resulted in Meteor Garden second season.

bbgirl03

Post by bbgirl03 » Oct 31st, '05, 09:02

chocoholix wrote:The Japanese version is much more realistic and believable while the Taiwan version came across as much more idol drama type – I thought they were to busy with the idea of selling F4 than compared to bringing Hana Yori Dango to life.

The acting skills of the Japanese cast are definitely much much better. Its only been episode one and I have already been impressed. In Meteor Garden the acting was terrible. But I watched on anyways… probably due to the beautiful cast haha. I’m not sure if it was the cast fault or merely fault with the script and production coz I’ve seen Barbie Xu and Vic Zhou in Mars and they were both good. Vanness was good in Star Runner and Jerry was okay in Magic Kitchen. And as F4 they delivered pretty well in another tdrama Come To My Place – Ken and Vic was really good, Jerry was so-so
realistic? i have to disagree. what kinda school would allow ppl to get beaten up by a lot of students?
I have to say the taiwanese version is better. But i think oguri shun did a better job than vic zhou.

fybabe

Post by fybabe » Oct 31st, '05, 10:02

i never found the taiwanese f4 fuys hot at all. i never find guys who act and talk like wooden blocks hot. :-(
On the other hand, although jun and shun may not have the great height and the muscular built, but they seem to portray more substance through their acting talent, and i find that irresistably hot! Especially jun. he's got this talent with his eyes. his eyes talk!

i love to watch dramas but i thought mg was one of the worst i've seen! man, it's so draggy it could have been a korean soap opera! it's noisy, bad taste and they either don't act or over-act! gomen ne if i insulted a couple of issues but this thread is supposed to be subjective right? i actually also watched mg2 and i thought it was much better coz it's less irritating (but still bad, why can't they cast folks who can act?). i'm not the manga fan so i'm watching it objectively from a storyline point of view.

i was kind of skeptical before watching hyd. but after 2 eps, i was kind of swept off my feet with the captivating storyline and so many talents! i can't somehow relate it to taiwan's mg coz it's just too different!
i think maybe this is not a fair comparison coz they are like 2 different stories and totally of 2 different classes!
one is like an idol soap opera, whereas this hyd is more... respectable. even with the few idols in the cast, and the bubbly vibes, i didn't feel anything 'idol-ish' about this hyd.

beer

Post by beer » Oct 31st, '05, 19:08

Moomin wrote: The Japanese version is definitely darker, even the humor used was darker.
My thoughts exactly. Including the spoiler.
With the first chords of Harry Potter music I nearly puked. And I still can't stand the thought they used it again after the dining room pun that would have been the perfect bottom line.

TragicKingdom

Post by TragicKingdom » Oct 31st, '05, 19:53

fybabe wrote:i never found the taiwanese f4 fuys hot at all. i never find guys who act and talk like wooden blocks hot. :-(
On the other hand, although jun and shun may not have the great height and the muscular built, but they seem to portray more substance through their acting talent, and i find that irresistably hot! Especially jun. he's got this talent with his eyes. his eyes talk!

i love to watch dramas but i thought mg was one of the worst i've seen! man, it's so draggy it could have been a korean soap opera! it's noisy, bad taste and they either don't act or over-act! gomen ne if i insulted a couple of issues but this thread is supposed to be subjective right? i actually also watched mg2 and i thought it was much better coz it's less irritating (but still bad, why can't they cast folks who can act?). i'm not the manga fan so i'm watching it objectively from a storyline point of view.

i was kind of skeptical before watching hyd. but after 2 eps, i was kind of swept off my feet with the captivating storyline and so many talents! i can't somehow relate it to taiwan's mg coz it's just too different!
i think maybe this is not a fair comparison coz they are like 2 different stories and totally of 2 different classes!
one is like an idol soap opera, whereas this hyd is more... respectable. even with the few idols in the cast, and the bubbly vibes, i didn't feel anything 'idol-ish' about this hyd.
I feel you on the "i never found the taiwanese f4 fuys hot at all." statement. Except for ZaiZai that is. ^^;;; I've sort of gotten used to Jun's height/build. Though I can't help but laugh at times when I see him with the rest of the F4 or with Shizuka. He's small compared to them >_>... Still, I love Jun's acting till now. His eyes show a lot of emotion. Such a child he is.
Shun (>_<) I keep imagining him smaller than he actually is. So when I see him I'm like O_O So tall...

It's a shame you're not a manga fan. The manga is very good IMO. LOL, you liked mg2 better than mg? I found mg2 absolute torture. I was cringing at every scene where that yesha (is that her name?) appeared. *shudders at the thought of the series*

Hana Yori Dango is really good till now. I like Inoue Mao very much. She's an excellent Tsukushi. I'm looking forward to see Jun act more of Tsukasa. I can't wait for him to portray Tsukasa in such a way that I'll come to love him through out the series.

Having Matsushima Nanako play Tsubaki will be perfect! She will fit the role so good.

Kumaxell
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Kumaxell » Oct 31st, '05, 20:18

Both versions have their own charms. I'll go for MG when I need a good laugh or in a pissed off mood. And, I'll go for HYD when I need some strong feelings in my otherwise bland life.

I agree with what ppl said about Jun's eyes. Two episodes and I'm already head over heel for him. His eyes really talks.
Last edited by Kumaxell on Nov 12th, '05, 23:00, edited 1 time in total.

joyce_nt

Post by joyce_nt » Oct 31st, '05, 21:19

vis wrote:I think Oguri Shun did as well (exceeded my expectations), but in my eyes he just lack the X factor that Vic Zhou had (and still has)... can't really explain it, but I that first of all Vic Zhou has more charm and secondly that he grasped Hanazaw Rui's dark autistic essence much better than Oguri Shun. Hanazaw Rui always had this cold, indifferent aura (only his actions contradicted) in the beginning of the story and it was waay in into the story before he really ligthens up... So I was mighty annoyed when I watched Oguri's Rui smiling encouragingly at Makino at the end of ep1~~ (He should have been indifferent!)
I absolutely agree with you on that !!! :salut: I just think that no one could portray Rui as perfectly as Zaizai did (maybe because it's actually his real characteristics). He seems to have that coldness towards Sancai exactly like Rui did to Makino. Plus, his looks and personality really make him look like a prince :heart: even when he shows his care for Sancai !!! That's, there you are, what Rui really seems to be to me in the manga.

I really admire your opinion :notworthy: on the point that you seem so much into the manga that you even see a very little bit mistake in Shun's acting. But after all, I really think Shun does great jobs :thumright: comparing to what I thought before I watched HD. I also like his hairstyle that's quite similar to Rui's in the manga.

lasusal

Post by lasusal » Nov 1st, '05, 04:12

oguri as rui ..........so hot
when i firt saw the first episode, i didnt like jun as tuskasa because of the height but after episode 2 ...........he was made for the role

lasusal

Post by lasusal » Nov 1st, '05, 04:13

oguri as rui ..........so hot
when i firt saw the first episode, i didnt like jun as tuskasa because of the height but after episode 2 ...........he was made for the role

unkei

Post by unkei » Nov 1st, '05, 15:44

my 2 cents:

i watched the first episode of mg (cos my friends said f4 was soooooooooooooo hawt), skimmed through the rest (cept for the vic scenes), and stopped watching near the end when vic goes to canada. i didn't touch mg2 after seeing a preview in a video store.

i've watched the first episode of hyd at least 10 times, i've watched the second episode nearly 10 times, and probably will have exceeded that by the time episode three rolls around~~

i'm not going to vote, because i don't like these 'one or the other' polls. however, i find the two incomparable in terms of acting, sets, directing, props, production, professionalism, music (i love the harrypotter-like theme), and mood. hana yori dango beats mg hands down. mg beats hyd hands down in terms of humour, and f4's height and build.

i love vic~ but in mg he really couldn't act. he's improved a lot however (in love storm, he and vivian made a GREAT drama).

KindaMaru

Post by KindaMaru » Nov 2nd, '05, 12:37

Well I like Jun's style more than Jerry because he makes me sick of his habit hahaha BTW I like Jun more than Jerry and that's the main point ^^

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Nov 2nd, '05, 19:21

I think Jun's worst problem is his height. Put that aside and he makes a perfect Doumyouji in my opinion. Sure, he's not all that perfect looking but he has charisma which makes men rather interesting than a perfect face does.

Regarding the show itself, the Japanese version is better for several reasons: They obviously had a greater budget so they can rather give us the feeling of luxury. They had real actors, too (excuse me but I as a viewer don't care whether they never performed before, all I want is to see good acting), and they have excellent scrip writers and producers. Got to love the shots and cuts.
MG though has a great humor (that the later episodes unfortunately lack of though). I love Shancai's parents. I also think in case of resemblance to the manga charas, the Taiwanese producers made a few better choice. Shancai's mother is better, as is Doumyouji's mother.
I consider the Japanese version almost perfect if it wasn't for some wrong cast choices. But there are even more (and probably worse as in terms of character resemblance) in MG.
I cannot decide which soundtrack I like better. Maybe it's the Japanese but then again I might prefer it simply because I understand it whereas I still need to get used to the Chinese. Aw, I think both are great! I may be a little prejudiced anyway because MG was the first (and so far the only) Chinese drama I've watched and it might have affected me at some points more if I had understood what they said.

Chidori-Chan

Which do you prefer : Meteor Garden or Hana Yori Dango ??

Post by Chidori-Chan » Nov 6th, '05, 14:28

hi guys!
So after a few eps of HYD jdrama, what do you guys think ???
Do you like it, hate it, or think it's not too bad or ??
Do you still prefer MG ?? or the original Manga version or the Anime ??

Voice yr thoughts and feelings ...

about everything ... including the plot change, from the manga/anime to the portrait of the characters ... how well did the actresses or actors do ??

:argue:

phantasimaker

Post by phantasimaker » Nov 6th, '05, 14:42

Hana Yori no Dango is soooo nicely done. :-)

Luluko

Post by Luluko » Nov 6th, '05, 14:43

For me the manga, and the anime versions are the very best, but if I'd choose from MG and HYD, I prefer Meteor Garden.

icyblue_flame

Post by icyblue_flame » Nov 6th, '05, 14:46

If you are talking about physically fitting the bill for F4, the taiwanese version definetely hit the jackpot. However, talking about acting skills of F4 and Makino Tsukushi, you got to hand it to the japanese actors!

As for the sets, locations, props and costumes of all the actors, I think the japanese version was able to capture the stark difference between the commoners aka Tsukushi and the filthy rich, Doumyoji. Plus the second episode use of white vs. black on Makino Tsukushi was a fabulous idea to contrast the two different characters of Hanazawa Rui and Doumyoji Tsukasa.

As for content, of course, the anime beats all because it is able to portray obviously what human actors can't. Furthurmore, the live action dramas' storylines are re-adapted to be physically possible for actors/actresses to act out and because of limitations of the number of episodes. The taiwanese drama serial initially was able to follow the anime storyline quite well but it soon spin out to its own storyline which I thought was less engaging. So far, the japanese dorama due to its 9 episode limitation has plucked out the essence and important scenes of the anime which would bring out the flavour of HYD but at the same time, keep the story logical and not let the audiences feel rushed. The japanese scriptwriters have done a good job.

doc_tomoe

Post by doc_tomoe » Nov 6th, '05, 14:47

I can't really say much about Meteor Garden, since i don't watch tw dramas often enough to judge it fair.
But i so far prefer the Anime Version, since it was very well paced, had very good performances of the Seiyu (speakers) and just let's you feel more absorbed in it than in the manga version. As for the new jdorama: I'm really surprised how well it comes across. Well Hanazawa Rui's Actor really sucks but Tsukushi and Tsukasa are very well portrayed. I don't know how many Episodes it will be, but considering it's jdorama it will be probably 13 or less, so i think it will be too short. Hey ... what about the actress who portrays Tsukasas older Sister :-))) Missed her ...

Xi@h
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Xi@h » Nov 6th, '05, 14:47

I prefer Hana Yori Dango :D

madyyan

Post by madyyan » Nov 6th, '05, 15:17

Hana Yori Dango is good but i love Meteor garden :D .... and jerry :wub:

Rewrite|Devil

Post by Rewrite|Devil » Nov 6th, '05, 15:22

maybe the japanese version :cry:

amulet

Post by amulet » Nov 6th, '05, 15:38

I didn't see the japanese version , but I really love this manga ,I thnk the Tw is good

dmaechan
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by dmaechan » Nov 6th, '05, 15:45

hmmm...i don't know... i liked meteeor garden 1 ...sanchai and daoming si were cute together.....but i'm starting to like hana yori dango as well ( :wub: matsumoto jun)

sunmoon

Post by sunmoon » Nov 6th, '05, 18:13

HYD, of course....

kljs

Post by kljs » Nov 6th, '05, 18:23

WTF? a draw?

TragicKingdom

Post by TragicKingdom » Nov 6th, '05, 18:40

doc_tomoe wrote:I can't really say much about Meteor Garden, since i don't watch tw dramas often enough to judge it fair.
But i so far prefer the Anime Version, since it was very well paced, had very good performances of the Seiyu (speakers) and just let's you feel more absorbed in it than in the manga version. As for the new jdorama: I'm really surprised how well it comes across. Well Hanazawa Rui's Actor really sucks but Tsukushi and Tsukasa are very well portrayed. I don't know how many Episodes it will be, but considering it's jdorama it will be probably 13 or less, so i think it will be too short. Hey ... what about the actress who portrays Tsukasas older Sister :-))) Missed her ...
Aww... Shun (who plays Rui) isn't that bad... >__> I feel he's more like the Rui later in the manga not in the beginning... He smiles a bit too much to my liking. Don't get me wrong. I like Shun's smile but Rui is supposed to the cold type. Anyways I've stopped comparing the drama to the manga or anime. It's simply in a class of its own. It's been great watching the jdorama. 6 more eps left >__<

Ragarding MG... I only like vic :D and ehm... MG2... I disliked the Doumyouji caring for Yesha. MG2 strayed (majorly) from the HYD plot.

Sana

Post by Sana » Nov 6th, '05, 19:42

I like both. Let us all just agree that MG II was a big pile of poo.

nanachan

Post by nanachan » Nov 6th, '05, 20:30

Hana Yori Dango is way better than Meteor Garden in terms of acting skills and cinematography. The F4 in Meteor Garden have terrible acting skills. They couldn't bring out the characters to live, especially Doumyouji and the way the drama was film doesn't seem too professional. So hands down to HYD.

babai

Post by babai » Nov 6th, '05, 20:49

nanachan wrote:Hana Yori Dango is way better than Meteor Garden in terms of acting skills and cinematography. The F4 in Meteor Garden have terrible acting skills. They couldn't bring out the characters to live, especially Doumyouji and the way the drama was film doesn't seem too professional. So hands down to HYD.
Yep, I feel the same way. The production of Hana Yori Dango is far, far superior. It might be difficult for many people to appreciate the new version because of their attachment to Meteor Garden. Personally, I love how HYD is more concise. There are no boring parts at all; whereas there were many for MG. HYD feels like a movie where everything is more heightened, and the level of excitement is so much higher. :w00t: My eyes become completely glued to the screen. Based on the first few episodes, it's definitely becoming my favorite drama. :thumleft:

koalachan

Post by koalachan » Nov 6th, '05, 21:01

i totally agreed!!
The cinemagraphy of japanese HYD is really great and posh!! As for meteor garden, i liked the begining, but it dragged like mad later on. Meteor garden 2 was the worst! No originality, typical memory loss and all..

runo

Post by runo » Nov 6th, '05, 21:02

Hana Yori Dango (japanese drama)

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Nov 6th, '05, 22:02

I agree with TragicKingdom. The drama shouldn't be compared to the manga as there will be only 9 episodes and the script writers really had to bring some good and new ideas to make it all work. At some points I still compare it to the manga but I've mostly come to see it as... well... let's say another version of Hanadan. An altraverse so to say. ^^

As for the main question: Hanadan. Definitely. I must say though I liked the jokes in Meteor Garden better. They really made me laugh out loud at some points whereas the jokes in Hanadan if anything make me smirk. Everything else aside from that is WAY better in Hanadan. Especially (do I still need to say it?) the acting! Moreover I think Hanadan is on a somewhat higher level than MG which always seemed to me like some low class daily soap rather than a drama that goes very deep and sophisticated.

Jecky

Post by Jecky » Nov 7th, '05, 02:55

i like both Meteor Garden(taiwanese) and Hana Yori Dango(japanese). i think both of them are good in their own way. :mrgreen: but i like MatsuJun more than Jerry cuz i think MatsuJun is better at acting Doumyouji. :P

sadotsu

Post by sadotsu » Nov 11th, '05, 06:50

HYD cut out too much from the manga... and I felt the casting was a bit off. But generally it was better than Meteor Garden, as the little things from Meteor Garden really pissed me off, like the stupid whiny parents that you want to strangle and the school! It didn't seem like a rich kids' school at all.

usyagitntn

Post by usyagitntn » Nov 11th, '05, 07:13

I think HYD ( the jap version) is better because it's more like the manga, well may be I'm a little bit too obsessed with the manga but still, I think HYD has better acting, setting and it's more real. I love comical stuffs too but HYD seems to me somewhat is still better than MG

ptexpress

Post by ptexpress » Nov 11th, '05, 07:20

Now that I've seen three episodes of HYD, I can say that it's way better. The characters are true to the manga, but there are enough plot deviations to keep it interesting. Given that I read the manga and knew the plot before hand, MG was very hard to sit through. For example, Barbie Xu's character had to shout at the top of her voice every time she needed to say something. I couldn't like her character.

Can't wait for the rest of HYD.

silverfa

Post by silverfa » Nov 11th, '05, 07:32

I know I'm not really in a position to reply here, because I didn't watch Meteor Garden. But let me just say this. This is my first Jdrama after a very VERY long time. And the only reason I watched it was because I read Hana Yori Dango and totally loved it. I did watch a preview a Meteor Garden after that, and I thought the acting was downright bad. I was kind of disappointed.

So when I tried Hana Yori Dango Jdorama, basically I have absolutely no knowledge of MatsuJun, Oguri Shun, and Inoue Mao's acting. And upon hearing that MatsuJun is a member of a boyband, and that he was acting as my favourite male character, Domyouji Tsukasa~ I did have doubts, since he was a singer. NOW let me say this. His acting is-WOW, I'M UTTERLY IMPRESSED!!!! XD Then I became totally addicted fufufu. He's done a really great job!

The HYD Jdorama is nice in its own way, comparing it with the manga. And yes I agree, it's portrayed more realistically. I love Tsubaki-sama~! She's the best! Hohoho!

So, I'll go for HYD jdorama, because of the acting, and the more realistic portrayal.

Note: I didn't listen to japanese boybands before this, so basically I didn't know anything about them or their members, just so you know. Never even heard of Arashi before this, maybe.

syu77

Post by syu77 » Nov 11th, '05, 09:59

hmmm...difficult for me...but since I have watch MG and HYD up till ep 3....i like both of it...but MG2 is a very big dissapointment for me....but nevertheless for me HYD is good because it has element that is very memorable...heck..its JUN right!!!

surrealistic-destiny

Post by surrealistic-destiny » Nov 11th, '05, 10:21

Hmmm....that makes me want to see the tai version

*smiles wistfully*

I agree although its not my place since I haven't seen Meteor Garden but I think the Japanese version portays it better, I mean there is a sense of realism which is also evident in the manga.

I didn't realise MatsuJun was a member of Arashi. slow I know. Oh does any know who sings the songs in esp. 2?

lilswtangel
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by lilswtangel » Nov 15th, '05, 07:18

I think the reason for that is probably because they're high school students (F4, not their real selves). So to be portrayed as high school students, the F4 shouldn't generally be mature just because they're rich....just spoiled :roll :lol

I thought the Taiwanese version dragged on too much and while comical at times, I didn't think Taiwanese F4's ages were right for their parts. In fact, I noticed a lot of their scenes took place in a bar. Meanwhile with MatsuJun and Shun-kun, they look the part to play their roles. and I have to give it to Jun because he really gave off that "I'm the leader of F4" aura. What Jerry Yan had was the body.......*whew* The scene where he kidnaps ShanCai and she wakes up to find him swimming in his pool.:offtopic:

However, the one thing the (IMO :-) ) that the Taiwanese version had over the Japanese version was that they were very thorough without cutting out much from the manga (yes, Hanazawa Rui was a violinist and as Kathleen pointed out, he became a bookworm instead). :unsure:

and I agree with Tragic on Shun's role as Rui......Rui is supposed to be indifferent although sensitive to his surroundings aside from Shizuka. But Shun-kun's sweet smiles are to die for!!! :-)