Do you remember life without computers and internet?

The real life drama forum. Discuss your relationships or get to know the other members here.
neonkinpatsu
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by neonkinpatsu » Oct 3rd, '05, 03:52

Holy friggin' crap. So much has probably transpired in my absence. There probably have been a ton of releases, huh? T__T Yeah, and I bet a ton of members here don't even recognize my nick! :lol For any people I'm cool with on here, hey, I missed ya's :mrgreen: :rofl:

Anyway, I had a random and complete hard drive failure. I lost about 90 GB worth of dramas and stuff. Literally my computer crapped out while I was burning stuff to delete. No clicking, no nothing. With working and all, I had no time to even have the compy looked at and get the thing replaced. My friend was trying to salvage stuff for a few weeks between his 2 jobs (of course he failed), and I was away for business for 1 week.

In the meantime, I've had absolutely no computer or internet access.....since August 14th!!!! Almost 2 months later, I'm back and am so lost. I feel like I'm on another planet. I haven't fallen back into place yet so it all feels so weird. First I went through withdrawal in general from checking mail and posts and stuff, plus no downloading or even knowledge of what was going on here and other sites I visit. Then I just went on through my days as usual, not even acknowledging that I haven't been online. OMFG, I do NOT need internet to survive? When the hell did that happen? 8)

Being back online is kinda depressing though. I have to spend my spare time reconfiguring my computer to the way it was before (installing programs, configuring settings, etc.). Then I have to attempt to replace what I've lost (yeah right ;__;), catch up on what I've missed downloading while offline, and then stay current with downloads. Oh god the horror. T__T Now I can barely even type anymore because I haven't done it in so long.

Anyway, to the point. Do you guys remember what it was like without having access to the computer for more than a week or few? Was it hard to get back into it? What did you do while unable to access, and what did you do when you came back on? Which sucked more, being away? Or, coming back and catching up?

I'm so out of the loop it's ridiculous... I haven't checked my email yet and I'm afraid to. XD

groink

Post by groink » Oct 3rd, '05, 04:04

Welcome back, girlfriend!

1990 was an interesting year for me. I graduated in May with an undergraduate degree in Computer Science. But, by then I was totally burned out by the entire school ordeal. I was in no mood to get a job in any technical field. So a few weeks later, I flew to New Mexico and spent about four months at a Boy Scout camp. No phone, no electricity, no anything! Just cabins, tents, horses and miles and miles of dry desert conditions. I really enjoyed myself... I tought crafts, first aid, and Indian Lore to the campers. I tried exotic foods like snake, horse, among other things.

But when I came back to Hawaii in October, I was still burned out. So I spent another two years working as a measly computer sales salesman, while I worked on my graduate degree.

If I lost my computer and Internet access today, I wouldn't miss a thing. It is fortunate that I wasn't weaned on computers and technology while I was brought up. So even today I have my books, my writings, my family, girlfriends, and golf.

--- groink

breakeetdown

Post by breakeetdown » Oct 3rd, '05, 04:12

Hm...I remember, it was only five years ago for me. I actually did things! it's really amazing. I talked on the phone...and I tried cooking, amazing....and now, I am a vegetable XD. It all take s a little self control, which I do not possess, so what can you say?

amrayu
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by amrayu » Oct 3rd, '05, 04:19

Hi Neon!
Welcome back!

Boy, you have a lot of stuff to catch up on! o_0

I remember a time when there were no computers and internet. I read books, drew, wrote stories, watched movies and spent time with family and friends. But now, it's like I'm married to my computer. T_T
Sometimes, it's nice to take a break from the comp/internet though.

Anyways, welcome back! I hope catching up isn't too daunting of a task for you. If you need any dramas, let me know. ^_~

bugsie

Post by bugsie » Oct 3rd, '05, 04:24

about four years ago, my old comp broke down on me without the possibility of being fixed, it took me about 3 months to replace it with a new one. i think the time while i was away from my computer was a bit hard beacuse i had programming subjects that time in my school. but i manage to survive though. during my freetime in that period, i did things that i haven't done before. i guess it helped me a lot to loosen up and try different things.

three months later..

it's time to replace my old comp with a new one, i'm struggling with the latest comp hardware available, i guess 3 months was a big difference in computer revolution. so it took me almost 1 week to decide what hardwares will i buy. that's the time i spent a lot of time messing with my computer.

but i guess my time away from my computer was a meaningful one, at least during that time, i just don't know if the same will happen it my comp broke down on me. i guess i'll just wait and see. :sweat:

JadedAngel

Post by JadedAngel » Oct 3rd, '05, 04:41

:lol Its very vague, but I remember that I was the 2nd grade when I touched my first computer, and I've been addicted ever since even though I didn't get my own with net connection until I was 17, about 8 years ago. And I know what it is to have harddrive failure and not be able to get on when I lost mine for over a month, a few months back. So sad, it was depressing. I lost everything, and months later I'm stil trying to recover everything. Even though I'm an avid reader/ shopper, things weren't the same without my comp. :crazy:

kali4niaguy

Post by kali4niaguy » Oct 3rd, '05, 05:05

welcome back to the D-Ark side! :mrgreen: the drama-force within you was too strong, you know can't stay away from here for too long! 2 months, wow, I don't know if I can last that long.

when I didn't have the internet and computers...nope, I've always had internet and computers! :P but in my nightmares, the dark ages where the computer and internet didn't exist for me was during my high school years. that was over a decade ago. :-)

aoi_hana

Post by aoi_hana » Oct 3rd, '05, 05:11

I think I was 16 when I got my very own computer and I think that was the first time I really spent anytime on it (aside from playing classic games like Oregon Trail on the old green-screen macs). I got addicted really quickly and pretty soon, I started to neglect my real life friends for the internet. I think I might of found a balance now, although I feel weird if I don't download something once a day ^____^

Ruroshin
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ruroshin » Oct 3rd, '05, 05:14

a life without computer and internet...only in my nightmares :P

I was a rebel as a kid, computer and the internet help calm me down :)

20centuryboy

Post by 20centuryboy » Oct 3rd, '05, 05:21

Ruroshin wrote:I was a rebel as a kid, computer and the internet help calm me down :)
Now you're a vegetable? :P
Exept for downloading dramas, internet is just a waste of time, too much imbeciles like in real life. Before internet I used to find other ways to waste my time...read books, play a lot of guitar ect..

A few years ago I never imagined I could get addict to japanese dramas. For me it was some tearful TV programs for housewives I saw in my hotel rooms. First time I saw one was in 96 and it really made me laugh. Maybe the old me would freak out on what I've become. :|
Last edited by 20centuryboy on Oct 3rd, '05, 05:31, edited 1 time in total.

Ruroshin
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ruroshin » Oct 3rd, '05, 05:27

I wouldn't say the internet is just a waste of time. About 75% of the stuff I do at work is internet related so I earn my living from the internet.

neonkinpatsu
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by neonkinpatsu » Oct 3rd, '05, 05:29

Thanks for the welcome back guys! I have some PM's and emails to reply to O__o Uh, actually, a lot... :lol Anyone who wrote me I'll reply to this week in between gathering a list of crap I lost and missed in my absence as well as catching up with news, compy config, and my duties :cry:

Anyhoo, I spent a LOT of time on the phone and going out. I think I've gone out to dinner 20 times in the past 2 months. My pants still fit though. WHEE! My wallet has been suffering. I went shopping, hung out, etc. Sad thing is, I do this stuff anyway, but a tad less often with a computer.

I called one of my friends and asked her what she was doing, and some days she would say "Eh, just f***ing around online and checking my mail". I felt like whacking someone in the nose because I was away and missed being able to do little things like mapquesting driving directions. And yeah, I paid for 1 month's worth of broadband without being able to even use it because this piece of poo compy decided to give me the 1-fingered salute.

I didn't miss stuff like chatting, because I don't really do chatting often. But I missed posting, emailing, downloading/watching dramas and movies, and my music. I browse sites and stuff, but mainly what I missed was computer access for little things like checking movie times, getting directions, finding info on movies and etc., and stuff like that. Even typing my lists of things to do/buy each week. Yes, I have gotten used to handwriting things again....it used to be the other way around. I used to type more than write until I started this job 5 months ago, then it was an even split. Now I struggle to type again. Now I'm back on the road to Carpal Tunnel.

One thing I missed a WHOLE lot: Paying my bills online. I actually am almost out of checks and stamps because I rarely used them before. I've been on this pack of checks for a year, and I went through probably 25 of them paying my bills in this past 2 months. I guess it was time, they had my address from 2 years ago on them anyway :lol

Yeah, and another thing I missed: BURNING CD'S. The CD's in my car are so boring right now......I tried recycling them and that's gotten me this far. But, I want to make a ton of mixed CD's. But now, I have no programs on my compy yet and NO MUSIC. BLEGH.

I CAN'T WAIT TO BE CAUGHT UP AGAIN!! I feel like a newbie again.

2triky

Post by 2triky » Oct 3rd, '05, 05:31

20centuryboy wrote:
Ruroshin wrote:I was a rebel as a kid, computer and the internet help calm me down :)
Now you're a vegetable? :P
Exept for downloading dramas, internet is just a waste of time. Before internet I used to find other ways to waste my time...read books, play a lot of guitar ect..

do you ever remember doing research before the accessiblity to the vasts data stores of the internet...now that was a waste of time....carrying books around the library that unknowningly looked like the leaning tower of pisa was not particularly fun.

20centuryboy

Post by 20centuryboy » Oct 3rd, '05, 05:34

Ruroshin wrote:I wouldn't say the internet is just a waste of time. About 75% of the stuff I do at work is internet related so I earn my living from the internet.
Of course, when it's part of your job it's different. I'm talking about the average surfing/forums etc... :-) well, personnally, I waste a lot of time ( it's almost scary). :mrgreen:

lilswtangel
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by lilswtangel » Oct 3rd, '05, 05:43

first thing first: welcome back NEON!!!!!!!!!!!!! and why wouldn't the members recognize the name of one of our mods? :-)

90 GB of drama lost? :O so sorry to hear that............and i know what you mean about catching up on downloads. best of luck catching up with the downloading and the reconfiguration of all your programs! if you have a list of dramas that you lost and i happen to have a copy, just send me the list and I'll see if I can do anything to help.

i have yet to have a harddrive failure which held my drama, but I did have a harddrive failure in which I lost about 40 GB of anime a few years back. :glare:

and to answer your question: do i remember life without computers and internet -

yes, i was deprived of computers until 1992 - the year I got my first computer. As for internet, I ran on 56k and didn't have high speed internet until 3 years ago. the years before discovering the greatness of internet, either i went out more or i spent more time in the living room watching television.

now: i'm practically a hermit staying in my room and online when i'm not at work or in school. the chingoo nights have lessen tri-fold....yes. it's pretty sad~ :cry: now, i only pass through the living to get into my room. i haven't been faithful to any American TV shows lately, and to those tv shows that I do like, I've probably watched only a few episodes throughout the entire season.

but with the recent hiatus i had away from D-A & dramas, I did catch up on my studies and made a few phone calls to old friends soley to KIT. and lately, I've been hooked on TVB dramas again, so i'm even spending more time on my sofas in the living room watching my HK dramas (we rent them on VHS....they're cheaper than VCDs so we get to watch more series for the same price). :D

[edit]
just read your second post, neon. if you need any mp3s from any OSTS or jdrama theme songs, you can just PM me and I can mail them to you instead of having to redownloading them.

bugsie

Post by bugsie » Oct 3rd, '05, 05:48

20centuryboy wrote:
Ruroshin wrote:I wouldn't say the internet is just a waste of time. About 75% of the stuff I do at work is internet related so I earn my living from the internet.
Of course, when it's part of your job it's different. I'm talking about the average surfing/forums etc... :-) well, personnally, I waste a lot of time ( it's almost scary). :mrgreen:
i don't think it's a waste of time, it's good to be updated with the latest tech stuffs out there. you can read news and tutorials of any kind while surfing. anything you do with your time is a time well spent when you are enjoying it. :P

Enho2

Post by Enho2 » Oct 3rd, '05, 05:57

Life without computers and internet? Jeez, you guys are so young. I remember life before T.V, Computers and internet where a welcome relief from boredom in general.

But though I enjoy it. There is plenty to do in life when the system crashes. Like build a new one that is better and faster than the last one. :D

Welcome back to the computing world.

garnet07

Post by garnet07 » Oct 3rd, '05, 06:13

Hey welcome back,

Man actually my external hard drive crashed on me also this summer and lost about 80GB worth of drama, manga, other stuff. I tried redownloading everything, but only had time to get the most important ones. Man I hate redownloading everything again. Takes too much time.

Anyways, I remember using a computer since 4th grade and usually used it only for typing and playing Oregon Trail. That time, I thought Macintosh (the old ones) computers were so cool. Like I thought you can do anything with it. Didn't expect that there was such thing as Windows so now I prefer Windows over Mac. This then lead me to major in Computer Science. Meaning that if ever my computer doesn't work, I'll be doomed because most of my hw are programming. :pale:

Really though, b4 without computers, it's video games or watching TV to use up my time. But now, I have to check the internet sites everyday or I'll be so sad if I miss anything new. Especially when it comes to downloading. :lol

2triky

Post by 2triky » Oct 3rd, '05, 06:25

garnet07 wrote:Hey welcome back,

Man actually my external hard drive crashed on me also this summer and lost about 80GB worth of drama, manga, other stuff. I tried redownloading everything, but only had time to get the most important ones. Man I hate redownloading everything again. Takes too much time. :lol
one time my external hard drive crashed and i had 240GB of data files on it.....i downloaded a piece of software called Magic Recovery Pro...I saved every file despite the fact that the drive head was broken. I got lucky....very lucky :|

ironicwave
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ironicwave » Oct 3rd, '05, 07:05

welcome back, neonkinpatsu! :D

life before computers for me was my twenties, i didn't miss having one then, as i was always out and about. that situation changed becoming a single mother after divorce, having to move away from all of my friends and having all my family in the states. then the computer kept me in touch with the outside world and my loved ones, as it wasn't so easy for me at first to adapt and new friends (true friends) in a new location aren't made overnight. luckily, my computer stayed faithful to me for the duration it took me to rebuild a "normal life". of course, when it did give up on me finally, i was rather addicted, but after a few days i noticed, not having one available at the time wasn't as terrible as i might have thought. the downside for me really was the getting back online and having to replace/catch up. so i would have to say it's harder to get back into it than to not have it at all.

in any case, we're glad to have you back. :wub:

Akiramike
Fansubber
Fansubber
Australia

Post by Akiramike » Oct 3rd, '05, 10:19

groink wrote:If I lost my computer and Internet access today, I wouldn't miss a thing. It is fortunate that I wasn't weaned on computers and technology while I was brought up. So even today I have my books, my writings, my family, girlfriends, and golf.

--- groink
Groink, you sound like you are the main character of a shonen romance manga/ jdorama! :lol You should teach those dorama characters how to avoid their girlfriends somehow meeting each other out of coincidence.

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Oct 3rd, '05, 11:55

welcome back, neon! missed you posting here! hope the job's going well.

yes, i'm at that age where i remember the prehistoric period of not having computers, internet, cellular phones and remote controls. oh, the horror!!! i actually had to get my large, rotund buttocks off of the couch and walk three feet to change the tv channels manually. we actually used the phone for vocal conversations rather than picture taking, email and playing games. it was sickening. my college research papers referenced books and magazines MORE than websites.

my friends and i actually had to GO UP TO A GIRL and ask her for her number instead of googling her and searching for her on myspace and stalking her on the internet. it was brutal. oh, and we only had about six channels on our tv and NO D-ADDICTS!!! :crazy:

it was crazy. i actually had free time. pretty ridiculous.

Jannah
Geinou Fansubber
Geinou Fansubber

Post by Jannah » Oct 3rd, '05, 12:44

Well, I'm pretty young so it's quite hard to remember life before computers & Internet.

Anyway, before I get carried away, welcome back neon! :D

Losing 90 GB worth of dramas has got to suck! :crazy:

I totally understand that 'lost' feeling & how depressing it is to have to start afresh. The same thing happened to me once a few years back. Luckily I wasn't into downloading dramas yet, or I'd have been so frustrated if I lost them. :cry:

I think being away was good because I got to catch up on other stuff like reading. (I hardly read nowadays, sad to say.) Like you, I was almost afraid to come back & catch up on everything, considering how fast the online world changes! But once I was back online I couldn't believe how I managed to survive that long. :lol

Good luck on all that catching up, neon. You'll get back on your feet soon enough! Fighting! :mrgreen:

Phoenix

Post by Phoenix » Oct 3rd, '05, 13:07

Welcome back, Neon! I was wondering what happened to you. Missed your witty remarks! One thing you'll find here at D-Addicts is that a lot more people/groups are subbing new series, sometimes only days after the Raws are posted! Add me to the list of volunteers to help you get copies of what you've lost or missed.

pwner4once

Post by pwner4once » Oct 3rd, '05, 13:42

first i would like to be nice and say "WELCOME BAcK NEON!!!!" :D :D
u might not know me and u might not be familiar with u, but hey. we are on D-ADDICT!!!
Losing 80GB of stuff is not that bad. I know you might of lost track of everything such as which eps. you were on and stuff. but I think the essential part is about watching one series and finishing it up without actually stopping. For this, i have to say there isn't even 1 percent of procrastination for me. :blink :cry: If i started on a series i really like, I would set all eps. under pending in bitcomet and leave my computer on until I've downloaded the last 0 and 1 on to my hard drive. My friend's computer gave up on him about 1 week ago. My first impression is that dell 850s is probably overused since he doesn't turn off his computer at night like the mass would normally do. since i noe some stuff about computer, i went over his house and fixed it. The problem was the sata's driver was corrupted somehow and his main harddrive is one of those faster sata drives. so that was no worry. i really your problem might not be the failure of ur harddrive. but then u never noe.

Getting back on topic, I went back to China about 2 months ago. Everything got better but the computer industry. There is a computer, internet and etc. in the house. As good as it might sounds, I swear the internet speed is slower than dialup even though it's sDSL or xDSL. Having this kind condition, it renders completely blocked out from my internet world. Sad to say, I went 1 week without computer. Not even checking my emails and such. I felt miserable for a while and things just get better. having to go different places and hanging out with my cousins at night, i didn't feel computer is all that important. but that's because varies activities keeps me busy with content at all time. After i flight back, i couldn't ignore teh inevitable loss of happiness and fun. then everything is back to normal and computer become my utopia again. :cry: :cry:

LittleGreenGrasshopper
Geinou
Geinou

Post by LittleGreenGrasshopper » Oct 3rd, '05, 17:41

Neo! We missed you in the DA Channel (which has been moved in your absence)...

Life without the internet... that sounds like fun... seriously... I think I need a nice long vacation on a sunny white beach with nice breezy winds and no annoying computer humming noises...

As for your computer crash... return the 1 finger salute with a toss out the window performance... guarantee to make you feel a little better (for that split second as the case flies thru the window) :mrgreen: ... cleanup however, may be a turnoff :glare:

Romance

Post by Romance » Oct 3rd, '05, 18:34

i lost my ambition and motivation to things when i got my own computer and internet :(

~Adam~

Post by ~Adam~ » Oct 4th, '05, 02:44

I can't remember living without it, I mean it has become a big part of my life, its my source for information on new Anime, Music , Video Games, Asian movies and Dramas, and even my p0rn.

Néa Vanille
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Néa Vanille » Oct 4th, '05, 03:04

My computer is a total **** **** and always has been so it happens quite frequently that it decides to stop working for about a week ( basically until I've begged some friends into fixing it for me.. at this rate, I wonder why I still have any :lol ) and I can tell you that life without internet is almost unbearable for me! Not because I need to surf or watch dramas, but because I need to keep in touch with people I met on my travels who I exchanged mails with and talk to on Skype, as well as several best friends who I met online or who moved away when I was younger. I also need to keep in touch with my boyfriend since I only see him once a month and he doesn't call because it's too expensive. :crazy: I also write fanfiction and I feel bad when I don't post anything new for so long.

So, no, life without internet would be impossible for me. Though, whenever I do have no internet for a week or so, I find myself enjoying video games more than I usually would. I always read lots of books and watch lots of dramas, so having no internet doesn't make me do these things more.

kazuki

Re: Do you remember life without computers and internet?

Post by kazuki » Oct 4th, '05, 03:04

wow, sorry to hear you have lost 90gb neon. I remember the time I lost 200gb of anime and dramas that tama-chan sent me, I knew I should’ve of back up the files when I had the chance, but I guess I was too lazy at the thought of backing-up 200gb :O

Life without computers hmm.. Will mean more day light and less dim light for me
:D

smellybeans

Post by smellybeans » Oct 4th, '05, 04:00

yeah...i got to know about computers in primary school when i was about .. ummm.. 9 years old?

i got my first computer, a compaq pentium II when i was about 10.. at that time.. i still didn't have a internet connection.. it was only when i was about secondary 1.. about 13 years old when i applied for my broadband :D

i shared money to get myself my current computer, a pentium 4, 2.41ghz with my brother..

thats about all..

just like everyone else, i'm just glued to my computer 24/7.

LittleGreenGrasshopper
Geinou
Geinou

Post by LittleGreenGrasshopper » Oct 4th, '05, 04:24

jholic wrote: my friends and i actually had to GO UP TO A GIRL and ask her for her number instead of googling her and searching for her on myspace and stalking her on the internet.
LOL... couldn't believe I actually missed this post... so, that's what our 3rd band member's been up to :roll

lilswtangel
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by lilswtangel » Oct 4th, '05, 08:26

LittleGreenGrasshopper wrote:
jholic wrote: my friends and i actually had to GO UP TO A GIRL and ask her for her number instead of googling her and searching for her on myspace and stalking her on the internet.
LOL... couldn't believe I actually missed this post... so, that's what our 3rd band member's been up to :roll
thanks LGG, can't believe i missed this post, too~ :lol

@ jholic-sama: i remember you saying and i quote, "i normally don't go on myspace cuz people there are just way too young and their choice of fontcolor vs background color just kills my eye" :mrgreen:

i still prefer guys asking me for my number rather than for my aim screenname. :-)

life without a computer means more sleep and less time comtemplating when to get off. :D

20centuryboy

Post by 20centuryboy » Oct 4th, '05, 08:49

I wonder how much screen and computer's radiations will affect our future cancers... :unsure:

laure_choc

Post by laure_choc » Oct 5th, '05, 16:43

I also had comp problems this summer and i lost my internet connexion for 2 months. At first i was cray but in the end, i just spent my free time with my family and friends who where fortunately coming at my place during that time.

Now i'm just trying not to get my bad habits back and so far i definitly spend less time in front of my screen :D

but i had reason to get addicted, my parents got a computer before i was even born and i learned my additon and multiplication tables on a computer, after that how do you want not to do everything with it ;)

KaaL

Post by KaaL » Oct 6th, '05, 04:06

i dont classified myself as an addicted internet users. I do use it alot and all but i do things beside surfing and downloading dramas. I'm not going to tell my friends i can't go out because i have to finish watching a drama or i cant get away from the internet. That is sad. "life shouldnt be a short distraction from a computer ... a computer should be a short distraction from life...

x_XJules
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by x_XJules » Oct 6th, '05, 04:13

i do remember days without the computer... ah, the good ol' elementary days.

i did pretty good at first about balancing real world vs. internet... but then i got a laptop. and now i don't have to get up to get on the computer.

20centuryboy

Post by 20centuryboy » Oct 6th, '05, 05:01

what is "a girl"? I don't remember...

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Oct 6th, '05, 05:41

lilswtangel wrote:
LittleGreenGrasshopper wrote:
thanks LGG, can't believe i missed this post, too~ :lol
@ jholic-sama: i remember you saying and i quote, "i normally don't go on myspace cuz people there are just way too young and their choice of fontcolor vs background color just kills my eye" :mrgreen:
haha! bad wording. i was speaking in general terms. believe me when i say i would be completely wasting my time on myspace. :lol
lilswtangel wrote:i still prefer guys asking me for my number rather than for my aim screenname. :-)
say, baby, how's about giving me your ip address? :P

ar-a-mach
Location: Acty Shiodome 1-1-6 Kaigan "Shiodome Sio-site"-Minato-Ku / Tokyo-

Post by ar-a-mach » Oct 6th, '05, 06:04

おかえりなさいlady neonkinpatsu :-)
it sure is a long time, last time i moved out i lost my connection for exactly 2 mounth just like you, and it was hell i remember leaving the comp switched on cause i couldn't sleep without the noise !!! :crazy:

anyway i'm happy to see yuo back on track :wub:

and for the GOOD NEWS the new season start Oct 11th so you wont miss this one!!! :-)

still try to get densha otoko it was a good one from the last season you just missed.

K.T.Tran

Post by K.T.Tran » Oct 6th, '05, 06:33

I remember the old days where I don't use internet for anything.
Library was the #1 source for info for essays and anything else book related.
No dling, no AIM or MSNM, No Jdorama or D-addicts :-(

All i did was watch TV, play video games, or sports

lilswtangel
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by lilswtangel » Oct 6th, '05, 06:46

jholic wrote:
lilswtangel wrote:i still prefer guys asking me for my number rather than for my aim screenname. :-)
say, baby, how's about giving me your ip address? :P
i remember!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! the pick-up line thread!! another one of your infamous lines, jholic~ :mrgreen:

ShaolinMunky

Post by ShaolinMunky » Oct 6th, '05, 07:39

HAHAHA Hey neon your still alive! just wanted to say wasup

P.S.
I already crossed you off the M.I.A. list of regular D-Addicts members.

sadotsu

Post by sadotsu » Oct 6th, '05, 08:23

I can live without a computer, actually I'd rather I didn't rely on them so much, it's screwing up my eyes pretty badly.

mallorn

Post by mallorn » Oct 6th, '05, 11:44

Oh yes! I didn't really get addicted to the net until about two years into highschool, and now I'm slowly overcoming it. I don't spend half as much time in front of the screen as I used to... I used to read a lot, lot more when I didn't use computers, as well as play the piano and make up silly stories with my friends... I am very glad I wasn't brought up entirely computers from the start. No offense to anyone, but I think that would be scary.

cetok

Post by cetok » Oct 6th, '05, 14:52

I HAVE. I had to close my old account to open a new account.
Just to close the account took about one week.
Just to open it took about 2 weeks. crazy ppl. lazy ppl.
i need to register twice since my registration was not in their system.
the girl didn't call when she said she should. i'm ranting here.

anyway, without internet, i'm a little bit bored but i have got the time to do other things .
so i'm glad too in that way.
no pc.. that's so impossible.
i have 4 hard disk.
but agree that its tiring to reinstall everything

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Oct 7th, '05, 17:23

ShaolinMunky wrote:I already crossed you off the M.I.A. list of regular D-Addicts members.
are you kidding? you were on the list yourself a little while ago!! glad to see you (and the booty-shakin' ava) back here at DA!!

neonkinpatsu
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by neonkinpatsu » Oct 14th, '05, 02:52

I guess I'm bumping this again. I'm mostly caught up with typing and general internet use again. Now I can pay my bills online again which made my life soooooo much easier. And Mapquesting. Thank Christ because I have a housewarming party to go to in the boonies.

Downloading.....hmmm....nope. I've been downloading 2 batches for about 4 days. If this isn't good stuff I'm gonna be pissed. But I *DID* sit down and make a list of most of the completed dramas I lost and I'd like to get either by downloading or bribing people. :lol As for music I missed, I don't know ;__; I'm aching for new jpop and kpop :cry: I need a couple more computers, hahaha.

This is sad that I only started using the internet about 8 years ago. I can't imagine life without it. It's not so much that I check my email everyday anymore, but I use the compy for so many little things. I think this weekend I'll download some more and do a hardcore cleaning of my house to make more space. Kill 2 birds with 1 stone (while looking productive). XD

sesshu.kotoyumu

Post by sesshu.kotoyumu » Oct 14th, '05, 03:37

I cant remeber!!!!

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Oct 14th, '05, 12:03

again, let us know if we can help you in any way, neon!

fat_otoko

Post by fat_otoko » Oct 16th, '05, 08:57

Around early 90s,I just watch Transformers video tapes,drawing,playing toys action figures and legos,my dad did buy me a PC in 1994 but theres no internet whatsoever,I still remember I like to play Gremlin game,the pixel just horrible back then! hehe...good times.

xKiMix
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by xKiMix » Dec 18th, '05, 08:03

Actually i got my first computer in 1998, and it was second hand :lol Then when i got a new computer in 2000, i finally got dial-up internet. There i was exposed to aim, chat rooms, kazaa, etc. Then when i started liking anime i would keep my computer on for hours just to get one episode of inuyasha. Then i got dsl! XD and discovered the world of dramas. and now i have an even faster internet! I'm soo attached to my computer and the internet, i would know what i would do without them!

Gir

Post by Gir » Dec 18th, '05, 15:24

When I was in college there was only one large Central computer (a DECsystem 10 http://www.columbia.edu/acis/history/ka10.jpg) for the whole college, so you had to go to designated terminal rooms to use the Teletype consoles. And in a programing class we did some programs on punch-cards.

When I went to work we started out with a TRS-80 with no hard drive, I picked my first PC up around '90-'92, and I've be hiding out on the Internet for around 10 years now. And up till 4 years ago I was putting up with very terrible "out in the boonies" dial up, now I am on 6Mb cable and hope I never have to go back.

cgozun

Post by cgozun » Dec 18th, '05, 15:46

Having a high speed internet connection I often take things for granted. I often boast, I've seen the entire internet. 3 years back I went back to my country for a 3 months vacation with no internet access. That in itself was not so bad as I found many things to do to keep me busy. However, when I got back home, staring at my computer, I felt this overwhelming anxiety towards this daunting task to catch up with what I have missed. But I chipped away. In two weeks time, I've seen the entire internet...again.

*Lifo*

Post by *Lifo* » Dec 18th, '05, 16:06

I don't Think I will Be Living .. if there werent computers or Internet !

cees

Post by cees » Dec 18th, '05, 16:12

come on people this is technology....no one can live without it

albertoavena

Post by albertoavena » Dec 23rd, '05, 02:20

So true! I don't think I can remember a time without it. I mean, my first computer was a Win 98 and I got internet like a year later. I never really used it because it was dialup so I didn't really care. But once I got High-speed cable, everything changed from there. :glare:

groink

Post by groink » Dec 23rd, '05, 02:26

Reading the posts on this topic, my guess is that the popularity of one-week or longer camping trips is declining.

--- groink

SHIN-RA
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by SHIN-RA » Dec 26th, '05, 16:12

Well, I guess a life without computer is kinda not that bad...
As you all know, I had been absent from this forum for a long time. That's just because I had some stuff to do in real life. Anyhow, let's go back into the topic... for me, having no computer or maybe no internet connection is quite crucial in terms of finding updates on the latest news. I rarely have time to watch television news channel, and I can only read newspaper in the evening. So, basically having no computer nor internet connection doesn't really affect my lifestyle too much. Well, probably instead of using MSN messenger or yahoo messenger, I would try to get in touch with friends through phone calls and sms texts. However, if I were assigned to do something and my computer broke down, I would be really screwed. Probably computer is kinda crucial for me in order to make some reports or some proposals on doing something. Aside from that, I uses my computer to easily check on latest news or updates.

Karo
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Karo » Dec 28th, '05, 23:38

It's really hard to remember the time, when I had no internet... I wonder what I did without it... I just can't remember...
Also I have to admit that I only need it to get my boredom away. When I don't have anything to do... when no friend is around or has time... when the weather is horrible and I don't feel like doing anything at all... I just surf through the net... Besides od d-addicts there not really something new around... So I get bored soon too.. haha...

Terrible thing is... whenever I'm really bored, and at some other place where I can't access the net... IT'S REALLY HORRIBLE!!! ^^

And to say it: I'm quite often bored... haha

pankanshe

Post by pankanshe » Dec 28th, '05, 23:51

I wish I've never had a computer and the internet...

splur

Post by splur » Dec 29th, '05, 00:13

Life without internet or computers, I was a young fellow. Around 7 yrs old? Life was careless, I watched lots of TV. I guess computer replaced TV for me, same amount of time I spent watching TV as a child as I do on the computer now.

Now, if computers/internet never came into my life, I'd be much socially indepth. LOL. A big sacrifice I made for the net. *sigh*

Eria

Post by Eria » Dec 29th, '05, 06:53

i just totally misread the whole thing!

well, i guess life without internet is a lil drama-free?

yunwun2k1

Post by yunwun2k1 » Jan 5th, '06, 01:24

Life without computers would put me out of a job, being a graphic designer!

pokute
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by pokute » Jan 5th, '06, 01:30

I remember life before computers and the net, sure, I read a LOT more, rode 50 miles every day on my bicycle, went surfing every week... man what a crappy unfulfilling life I had before computers and the net...

rocket12

Post by rocket12 » Jan 17th, '06, 08:10

lol, the first thing that popped into my head was that scene in Densha Otoko tv where one of the online people fryed his comp and wasnt able to fix it until near the end of everything. Glad to here that you have your "gateway" to the world wide web again. ok back to the topic. Before computers and internet, i used to watch tv and played outside and stuff.(before i became 12 cause that was when i got my first comp). Nowadays, i basically ditched the tv cause i can dl most of the shows that i would watch on tv and watch it on my comp. plus without my comp i would have never discovered or have access to d-addicts and the many many many great things the fansubbing community has to offer. :cheers:

MissMonika

Post by MissMonika » Jan 19th, '06, 05:23

life without the internet and computers.....scary. but i do remember when i was younger, in elementary school when computers weren't that big yet. i would still be outside playing, actually doing physical activities.

a part of me wishes i never got a laptop. i'm on it almost all the time. ahhh!!! i need a life

allredndizzy
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by allredndizzy » Mar 8th, '06, 17:19

6 or 7 years ago... we still don't have a computer.. i use a typewriter for my projects.. haha! life then was very basic

allredndizzy
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by allredndizzy » Mar 8th, '06, 17:21

pankanshe wrote:I wish I've never had a computer and the internet...
y would u wish 4 dat?!

doom89757

Post by doom89757 » Mar 8th, '06, 17:31

Life with out computer & internet would be quite boring, well it juz happen to me last week when my motherboard , my P4 chip & power supply spoil, juz one day without my pc & internet i alr feel kinda hard to live, dunno wat to do with out it.
If juz say if u never a have a fast internet connection be4 is ok, u wont feel like onlining,
But once u start using it, one day u dun online u will feel that u have miss out a lots of stuff especially if ur play forums , lots of unread post

Maddie87

Post by Maddie87 » Mar 8th, '06, 17:33

I don't even want to remember that time, so sad and boring *_*

DJ_Chopstix

Post by DJ_Chopstix » Mar 8th, '06, 17:40

lets see....before i ever went on the computer...i use to watch tv....all the time...hmmm *thinks* :scratch: uh.....i use to draw.....uhh......OMG THE COMPUTER HAS TAKEN OVER MY MEMORY BANK!!!! :blink

TLC5566

hi

Post by TLC5566 » Jul 13th, '07, 02:11

i cannot live without it manz. need to d/l , surf net and play games with it .

fastat3m

Post by fastat3m » Jul 13th, '07, 02:18

I remember during my freshmen year of high school, i use to go to the library everyday so i could go on the internet for 30 minutes. I couldn't go online that much at home because it blocked our phone calls, because the internet was only dial up back then.

ninahxd

Post by ninahxd » Jul 13th, '07, 02:22

hahaha. nooo. but computers made me fat LOL!