Recommended J-Movies (Ask for suggestions here)

Talk about the culture and entertainment from Nihon.
wachi

Recommended J-Movies (Ask for suggestions here)

Post by wachi » May 28th, '05, 22:16

C-Drama recommendations topic
J-Drama recommendations topic
K-Drama recommendations topic
Korean Variety Shows recommendations

Need help to identify a C-Drama / HK-Drama / TW-Drama
Need help to identify a J-Drama
Need help to identify a K-Drama
Need help to identify a celebrity

I'm becoming a big fan of JMovies myself. I have most so far, I was wondering if there are anything else I left off.
Skip the horror genre, I must have already watched every jhorror out there.

insyte

Post by insyte » May 29th, '05, 13:51

When the last sword is drawn - about the shinsengumi

The Hidden Blade - nice samurai story - stars Matsu Takako

Zatoichi - my favorite samurai movie :) Blind and violent :)

Seven Samurai - black and white Classic

Samurai I - III - nice to watch also black and white

If you like Hello! Project

Seishun Bakachin Ryorijuku - Gocchin, Tetsuya Takeda - cooking movie
RPG - Gocchin - crime movie
Koinu Dan no Monogatari - Morning Musume, H!P Kids - about a blind dog, a really cute movie
Blue Light - Ayaya - creepy movie
Pinch Runner - Momusu - well this movie was just ok, good acting by Nacchi
The Last Present - Nacchi, Charmy - I think this was a tv movie but its good :)

ar-a-mach
Location: Acty Shiodome 1-1-6 Kaigan "Shiodome Sio-site"-Minato-Ku / Tokyo-

Post by ar-a-mach » May 29th, '05, 13:55

インストール with  ueto aya
http://www.install-movie.net/

penginkun

Re: RECOMMENDED JMOVIES

Post by penginkun » May 29th, '05, 14:17

wachi wrote:I'm becoming a big fan of JMovies myself. I have most so far, I was wondering if there are anything else I left off.
Skip the horror genre, I must have already watched every jhorror out there.

Check out Tampopo. Nothing to do with H!P. You can get more info from the IMDB here: http://tinyurl.com/9hxux

It's available on DVD with English subs from Amazon, and I've seen it in stores.

One movie I'd recommend avoiding is Pistol Opera, which stars the way-too-tall and way-too-hot Esumi Makiko as an assassin. I got this from netflix a couple months back and could only watch about twenty minutes or so. It was possibly the most boring film I'd ever seen.

Mattman

Post by Mattman » May 29th, '05, 16:43

hm...
Cutie honey was quite funny
Zebraman as well (similar to Cutie Honey, but maybe a bit less interesting)
Battle Royale
Studio Ghibli movies (Spirited Away, Princess mononoke, etc.)

Gir

Post by Gir » May 29th, '05, 23:41

There was another movie that I really enjoyed called "Kikujiro (Thanks to wendyta for the name) There is this kid that lives with his grandmother, and one day starts to go see his mother, and his neighbor sends her husband to take the kid to see his mother. The movie focuses on his travels with this rather crude, loud and generally irresponsible guy. It is a fun and somewhat Clichéd story that is quite enjoyable.

I'll second the tampopo suggestion and also there is 4 more movies, while not connected make a series by Juzo Itami that are all pretty good.

Also, pretty much any Akira Kurosawa movie.

(Edited for title and a multitude of spelling and grammar mistakes. :alcoholic:)
Last edited by Gir on Sep 27th, '05, 22:35, edited 2 times in total.

apples

Post by apples » May 30th, '05, 14:10

I heard there was this good movie by Kimura Takuya.. the title were numbers. I can't remember. If someone could please tell me the title. :-(

Hayashi_kun

Post by Hayashi_kun » May 30th, '05, 14:32

I suppose you meant 2046. it's a chinese movie directed by Wong Kar Wai, and his movies are usually very abstract. btw, Kimu Taku has rather small parts in the movie, so do not expect too much.

other recommended Jmovies:
ima, ai ni yukimasu (starring takeuchi yuko)

i like star studded movies, and i know of upcoming movies "densha otoko" (yamada takayuki), haru no yuki (takeuchi yuko & tsumabuki satoshi) looks very good.

does any1 knows any website where i can find out more abt new Jmovies? or any links to dl movies

massaru
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by massaru » May 30th, '05, 14:33

apples wrote:I heard there was this good movie by Kimura Takuya.. the title were numbers. I can't remember. If someone could please tell me the title. :-(
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0212712/ :-)

apples

Post by apples » May 30th, '05, 14:45

thanks for the title.

hayashi_kun: i'll take your advice, i won't have expectations when i watch it. :D

ryoko293

Post by ryoko293 » May 30th, '05, 14:50

2046 is a very good movie. Some friends of mine in Sweden saw it and were fascinated and recommended the movie to me.
I didn't know that Kimukun acted in it 'till I saw him on screen and he was quite good.
I love Gackt, so I recommend Moon Child to you. Hyde is also starring in it.
The first J-Movie I bought was Dolls by Takeshi Kitano (First shown in Cannes a few years good). The story is a little strange but I like it - does that make me strange??? *g*

wendyta

Post by wendyta » May 30th, '05, 16:12

Gir, I think you're talking about "Kikujiro". I love that movie!

Wachi, try watching "Kikujiro" (it stars Kitano Takeshi). It's sweet and funny :-) . And if you're a huge fan of Hyde/Gackt (like myself), "Moonchild" and "Kagen no Tsuki - Last Quarter" is watchable (not that good, but still watchable). I also like "Zatoichi" (Kitano Takeshi), "Dragonhead" (Tsumabuki Satoshi), "The Twilight Samurai" (Sanada Hiroyuki), "Nobody Knows", and "Madadayo". Oh, and I also like "After Life", though it's pretty dark.

Hayashi-kun, do you know where I can get the english-subtitled DVD or any fansub DivX for "Ima, Ai ni Yukimasu"? I fell in love with this movie after watching it on the plane! I checked HMV Japan and CDjapan but they didn't say it has english subtitle. I would also be glad if you know where I can get english subtitled version (DVD or DivX) of "69 sixty-nine", and "Iden & Tity". Thanks so much!
:D

Hayashi_kun

Post by Hayashi_kun » May 31st, '05, 10:57

wendyta wrote:Gir, I think you're talking about "Kikujiro". I love that movie!

Wachi, try watching "Kikujiro" (it stars Kitano Takeshi). It's sweet and funny :-) . And if you're a huge fan of Hyde/Gackt (like myself), "Moonchild" and "Kagen no Tsuki - Last Quarter" is watchable (not that good, but still watchable). I also like "Zatoichi" (Kitano Takeshi), "Dragonhead" (Tsumabuki Satoshi), "The Twilight Samurai" (Sanada Hiroyuki), "Nobody Knows", and "Madadayo". Oh, and I also like "After Life", though it's pretty dark.

Hayashi-kun, do you know where I can get the english-subtitled DVD or any fansub DivX for "Ima, Ai ni Yukimasu"? I fell in love with this movie after watching it on the plane! I checked HMV Japan and CDjapan but they didn't say it has english subtitle. I would also be glad if you know where I can get english subtitled version (DVD or DivX) of "69 sixty-nine", and "Iden & Tity". Thanks so much!
:D
the official release of the dvd is june so i suppose it takes some time b4 the 1 with eng subtitles comes out. (but not v hopeful thou...) for me, the japanese subtitles helps alot!
u can try yesasia.com for other movie dvds, but i just checked they dun hav eng subtitled 69 too...

n_lotus

Post by n_lotus » May 31st, '05, 11:26

Thanx for the topic ... I wanted to ask about that too :lol
I have just seen 2 movies and they were really great.
Twilight Samurai ...( it was nominated for Oscar in 2003 )
and Hidden Blade
They are for the same director, they are close in story line too ... but really worths to be watched :-)

I think I will take all the opinions in consider

Akiramike
Fansubber
Fansubber
Australia

Post by Akiramike » May 31st, '05, 17:23

Best japanese movie imo is Shall We Dance. No, not the American one but the original japanese version. Sadly Miramax cut 15 minutes for the American DVD. :(

Some of the best j-movies I've seen:

Twilight Samurai - Really excellent acting especially by Hiroyuki Sanada and realistic fighting instead of 'idiots running straight at the hero with their arms in the air for him to slash their stomachs'.

Versus: Cult favourite and fun movie.

Himitsu: Really excellent acting and good story. Had me thinking about the movie for days.

Audition:Really worth watching and passing on to your friends. :lol

Daremo Shiranai: really good movie. Its coming to western cinemas I believe. Don't watch it if you're sleepy though.

wachi

Post by wachi » May 31st, '05, 20:40

Ah, arigatou minna-san.
You guys are pretty much naming most of the movies I've already watched. :lol:

Most of these recommendation have to do with samurai. Hmm, maybe I should give it a chance. I love Versus and Aragami. Maybe I should watch more.

Thanks again.

rasa

Jmovies

Post by rasa » May 31st, '05, 21:06

Some movies that I have seen that I really enjoyed are:

Messenger with Iijima Naoko and Kusunagi (SMAP)
The Eel: starts out violent and kind of slow but I really like the story.
Adrenaline Drive: This was a kind of funny movie
Wasabi: This is actually a French movie, but it takes place in Japan and Hirosue is in it and speaks French.
Shark Skin Man Peach Hip Girl
Ichi the killer: very violent and gross, Terantino got some of his inspiration for Kill Bill from this movie.
Quill: Very sad movie about a seeing eye dog.
Life is hard but happy: starring Arashi
Shall we dance: my favortie
Full time killers: this is actually a Hong Kong move, but Sorimachi Takashi is the main actor and a lot of action in this one.

wachi

Post by wachi » May 31st, '05, 21:59

Funny you recommend Full Time Killer! :lol
I just uploaded that movie on my clubbox. I love Takashi. :wub:

aya15

Post by aya15 » May 31st, '05, 22:27

Azumi 1 and 2 (with Aya Ueto, must watch)
Drug Store Girl
Shimotsuma Monogatari (with Kyoko Fukada, Gothic Lolita vs Biker Girl :D )
Swing Girls (a lot of people, School Jazz band, really funny)
Waterboys (If you liked the drama)
Go-Con! Japanese Love Culture

MoerkJ
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MoerkJ » May 31st, '05, 23:01

Recently I watched some movies by Imamura Shohei. He seems to make mostly movies about people with really strange relationships. So far I liked his movies Warm Water Under a Red Bridge (2001) and Unagi (1997) a.k.a. The Eel. These movies may considered a little slow by some but have some great moments/dialogs. I'm looking forward to watch more of his movies.

I just watched April Story (1998). A quite short movie, nice little romance, nothing special, but it has Matsu Takako.
:wink:

groink

Post by groink » May 31st, '05, 23:05

I'm more into older Japanese movies, most of them samurai dramas (aka "chambara" movies). My picks are:

Jun-ai Monogatari (Story of Pure Love), 1957
- Sort of a mixture of a West Side Story feel with a Rebel Without a Cause look
Ukyounosuke Junsatsu-ki, 1963
Minyo no Tabi Sakurajima, 1962
Shingo Juban Shobu (parts 1 thru 4), 1959-60
- Okawa Hashizo was a HUGE male figure in the 50's/60's
Uni no Koto, 1966
Toyama no Kinsan Hayabusa Bugyo, 1957
- I always joke that Kataoka Chiezo has THE BEST violent-sounding voice in all of cinema when he's pissed.
The Valiant Red Peony (parts 1 and 2), 1968
- Fuji Junko is totally hot in this movie!
Shinsengumi bakumatsu no douran, 1958
- (an anti-Shinsengumi point-of-view, in contrast to the NHK taiga)
Daibosatsu touge (parts 1 and 2), 1957-58
Akai kageboshi, 1961

... and ANYTHING with Hibari Misora!!!!!! She's totally HOT in these 50's/60's movies.

--- groink

wachi

Post by wachi » May 31st, '05, 23:16

I don't think having some HOT chicks in there will make me watch the movie. :lol

One movie no one have recommended is Love Letter. I think it's a beautiful love story.

Akiramike
Fansubber
Fansubber
Australia

Post by Akiramike » Jun 2nd, '05, 14:01

MoerkJ wrote:Recently I watched some movies by Imamura Shohei. He seems to make mostly movies about people with really strange relationships. So far I liked his movies Warm Water Under a Red Bridge (2001) and Unagi (1997) a.k.a. The Eel. These movies may considered a little slow by some but have some great moments/dialogs. I'm looking forward to watch more of his movies.

I just watched April Story (1998). A quite short movie, nice little romance, nothing special, but it has Matsu Takako.
:wink:
Loved Warm Water Under a Bridge: its a quirky movie, a bit on the 'artistic' side but definitely not boring and has plenty of memorable/outrageous moments! :lol

April Story feels like a 1 1/2 hour 1st episode of a drama. If only there were a April Story 2.

Gir

Post by Gir » Jun 3rd, '05, 12:38

aya15 wrote: Shimotsuma Monogatari (with Kyoko Fukada, Gothic Lolita vs Biker Girl :D )
I just downloaded this one, Ii havn't watched it yet, but it looks interesting. Especialy "Ryuji the unicorn". Thanks for the tip, this looks pretty good. :-)

JadedAngel

Post by JadedAngel » Jun 3rd, '05, 12:48

I just bought the movie "Trick, based of the jdrama of the same name, and that movie was hilarious! I couldn't stop laughing! So if you're a fan of the show, I'm sure you'd love the movie too. :lol

each1teach1

Post by each1teach1 » Jun 4th, '05, 07:55

Can't believe nobody has recommended my favorite movie Ping Pong. Its based on a manga, and is by far one of the most enjoyable sports films I've seen in a long time.
Also with the same actor (Yousuke Kobusuka) are Laundry and Go - both of which are very different touching, yet amusing love stories.

Also from the Grasshopper crew is Cha no Aji (The taste of tea) which is really interesting if a little unconventional.

I recently watched Chikyu no Saigo no futari (the last life in the universe (sic)) which was about a Japanese dude in Thailand, which was slow but cool.

And if you liked the TV series the Bayside Shakedown movies are pretty funny (as is the new one "The Negotiator").
All this writing has made me want to visit Tsutaya and pick up some movies!

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Jun 4th, '05, 13:35

each1teach1 wrote:Also from the Grasshopper crew is Cha no Aji (The taste of tea) which is really interesting if a little unconventional.
didn't know LittleGreenGrasshopper was that famous! i believe i'm even part of that crew!! (of course, i doubt he'd want to admit to that! ha!)

wachi

Post by wachi » Jun 6th, '05, 01:59

Oh my god, I know, Ping Pong rulez!
I've watched it already.. and must have been repeating it for the hundredth times now. :lol

Shimotsuma Monogatari sounds interesting.. so random and wacky.

rico2001
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by rico2001 » Jun 6th, '05, 02:24

Audition, Casshern, Ping Pong, Happiness of the Katakuris, Azumi

Pink Pearl

Post by Pink Pearl » Jun 7th, '05, 19:49

hi!! i'm new here. but i saw MOON CHILDE :wub: not so long a go. ot was cool. but it's a pity but it's heard to find japanese movie in my cantry. kisses to all of ya :P .<help me to figure out what's this page is about pleas :roll >

Mattman

Post by Mattman » Jun 8th, '05, 07:40

ah... forgot a very good recent movie "Survive Style 5+" Many funny story-lines
My favorite quote from it "What's your function in life" by some British serial killer before killing his victims if he wasn't happy with the answer

kei

Post by kei » Jun 12th, '05, 01:14

My most favorite Jmovies are probably Azumi 1 and 2 which were already mentioned. Also shurayuki hime. I thought that was a great film. You said don't mention any horror, but I gotta mention onmyoji just incase! I don't know that it's quite "horror" though.

gunjourui
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by gunjourui » Jun 12th, '05, 01:43

most of my favourite films has already been mentioned but there are 2 more I can think of right now..it's Gohatto and Lili Shu Shu no Subete. completely different films but both very good

oh and shall we dance is great!!! I loved that film..it's really funny
and Love Letter was ok too..hehe I will never forger that girl shouting "ogenki desu ka? watashi ha genki desu!!" :lol I don't know why but I find this film very entertaining :P

ohh just thought about another one..have you seen Hush! (or something like that)? this was one of the funniest films I've ever seen :lol

myunus

Post by myunus » Jun 12th, '05, 19:31

can you all post the torrent link for those movies you've talked about?? or where i can get the torrent??

wachi

Post by wachi » Jun 13th, '05, 01:56

I have most or some of these movies mentioned on my clubbox... if you can use clubbox that is.

I've never seen Hush.. maybe I should check it out.
Love Letter was heartwarming.. the ending almost makes me cry... barely.

babyboom102

Post by babyboom102 » Jul 4th, '05, 18:10

is anyone of you guys kno the movie that the lead female is a teacher who lives in a gangster family... She was assigned to 3-D class which is the worst class in school ... So, she tries to help the students and blah blah blah ... I don't know the name , wonder if you could help me out!?!
btw, the teacher's nickname is Yankumin

gunjourui
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by gunjourui » Jul 4th, '05, 18:24

babyboom102 wrote:is anyone of you guys kno the movie that the lead female is a teacher who lives in a gangster family... She was assigned to 3-D class which is the worst class in school ... So, she tries to help the students and blah blah blah ... I don't know the name , wonder if you could help me out!?!
btw, the teacher's nickname is Yankumin
you mean Gokusen? it's a dorama not a film...hmm is there a film as well? have to check it at jdorama.com

kyosak

Post by kyosak » Jul 6th, '05, 04:59

If you're in the mood for some comedy, I recommend these two movies:

Waterboys
Swing Girls

They're both directed by the same director and the two movies are enough to make you laugh until you can't breathe! :D

cytodex

Post by cytodex » Sep 27th, '05, 16:50

I have watched Tampopo many years ago. It's interesting from a cultural point of view but yet it talks about stuff that we face everyday, food, sex, love, etc.

Azumi 1 and 2 rock! The best Japanese action movies I have seen.

Audition is a very suspenseful movie. Scary for the faint of heart.

Twlight Samurai talks about the end of the Samurai age. A bit sad.

Zatochi is as violent and graphical as Azumi 1 and 2.

I will watch Cesshern, Battle Royale, Swing Girls, etc as recommended here.

Can't wait for a DVD release of Shinobi (Basilisk) currently played in Japan.

For those who want to download, try www.torrentz.com. For some reasons, I had problem with some audio that I had to readjust using Virtualdub.

chaz

fav J movie

Post by chaz » Sep 29th, '05, 01:16

I really like Tokyo Fist--about 1995. It is a dark boxing movie--kinda cult like following--not for everyone, but I rented it so many times--finally found a copy to d/l. Love the scene in the parking lot where the girl beats the guy up and he just takes it until his face is a total mess! That scene worth the price of rental. Anyone else seen it?

canon05

Post by canon05 » Sep 29th, '05, 01:20

I'd recommend Swing Girls.

It's so hilarious :lol and the songs are nice too!

edit: I just noticed others have mentioned this :-)

Schala

Post by Schala » Sep 29th, '05, 02:18

I recommend Stereo Future! It's by the same person who made Samurai Fiction (which I have not seen yet, but that's more commonly known). It seems like an artsy-fartsy type movie, and is a little slow at first, but then it gets very amusing and enjoyable! ^^

Aireedhelien

Post by Aireedhelien » Sep 29th, '05, 02:44

aoi haru
collage of our life - i'm in love in this movie. very beautiful and a love story
suicide circle - some says it's a horror but for me rather criminal thriller
dolls
gohatto
lily chou-chou no subete
and of coz FF advent children - haven't seen yet, but about to do so...

~Adam~

Post by ~Adam~ » Sep 29th, '05, 05:39

wachi wrote:I have most or some of these movies mentioned on my clubbox... if you can use clubbox that is.

I've never seen Hush.. maybe I should check it out.
Love Letter was heartwarming.. the ending almost makes me cry... barely.
Aye what is this ClubBox thing?

gunjourui
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by gunjourui » Sep 29th, '05, 09:18

~Adam~ wrote:Aye what is this ClubBox thing?
The Official Clubbox thread

kinki

Post by kinki » Sep 29th, '05, 15:21

i have lots of jmovies about 65 movie, but didnt watch half of them..(my priorety is dramas)

from the ones i watched, i would recommend:

ima, ai ni yukimasu
Love letter
Hatsukoi (first love)
Laundry (if you dont mind slow pace movie)
Ringu 1
Final Fantasy Advent children

i will come back to this thread once i watch more movies!

Sienna

Post by Sienna » Sep 29th, '05, 15:34

Akiramike wrote:
MoerkJ wrote:Recently I watched some movies by Imamura Shohei. He seems to make mostly movies about people with really strange relationships. So far I liked his movies Warm Water Under a Red Bridge (2001) and Unagi (1997) a.k.a. The Eel. These movies may considered a little slow by some but have some great moments/dialogs. I'm looking forward to watch more of his movies.
Loved Warm Water Under a Bridge: its a quirky movie, a bit on the 'artistic' side but definitely not boring and has plenty of memorable/outrageous moments! :lol
Warm Water Under a Red Bridge definitely has a not so normal story. This interesting movie isn't everyone's cup of tea. I for one like slow paced movies with an eccentric theme such as this one. The background music is also worth noticing.

Further more, the movies "Happiness of the Katakuris" and "Ima, Ai ni Yukimasu" are also enjoyable to watch.

pokute
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by pokute » Sep 29th, '05, 16:08

Anything by Takeshi Kitano. The guy is a genius.

ladym

Post by ladym » Sep 29th, '05, 16:33

Guys i realy need your help :unsure:
were could i find the TRICK movie ....i just finish the last part THE 3th TRICK and i'm so sad :cry: :cry: :cry:

Sienna

Post by Sienna » Sep 29th, '05, 16:39

pokute wrote:Anything by Takeshi Kitano. The guy is a genius.
He is! ^_^ I really respect Kitano-san. I also respect Miike Takashi. He's such a workaholic. An amazing person.

nk

Post by nk » Sep 30th, '05, 09:56

I would strongly recommend "Ima, aini yuki masu", starring Takeuchi Yuko and her husband, Nakamura Shido.

It is a very touching movie. I watched this movie 4 times in theater, but I feel it is still touching, no matter how many times I watch it. It's amazing that Yuko married Nakamura-san after they worked together for this movie. What a touching story!

If you can read traditional Chinese, please visit my website dedicated to "Ima, Aini Yuki Masu" at:

.http://ima.shibasakikou.com/

nk from Taiwan.

PS: Glad to know even in South-east Asia, there are so many people watching J-Drama/J-Movie.

pepper

Post by pepper » Oct 1st, '05, 12:19

Ima, ai ni yukimasu ~really touching and the storyline it's really2 speciall
you should watch this movie
another movie i recomended are Battle Royale 1 & 2..
and if you want to watch funny movie try to watch water boys the movies... you can LOL

gunjourui
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by gunjourui » Oct 1st, '05, 15:52

pepper wrote: another movie i recomended are Battle Royale 1 & 2..
I have to agree that BR1 is great BUT I can't say anything good about BR2!! It was soooo bad that I couldn't even finish watching it. I didn't like the cast, I didn't like new rules and I didn't like the story. I wouldn't recommend it to any of my friends

wachi

Post by wachi » Oct 1st, '05, 18:32

You guys pretty recommend all the movies I already have. I guess I have pretty good taste then.

shinkuji

Post by shinkuji » Oct 6th, '05, 16:53

Not sure about everyone, but I thought Himitsu (Mystery - 秘密) movie by Kaoru Kobayashi and Ryoko Hirosue were very touching and performance was well done.

Afterall, both main chracters got an award in Japan, for Hirosue Ryoko, she won a "
第23回日本アカデミー賞優秀主演女優賞「秘密」" - Japan Academy award for best Actress on Himitsu.

It is equivalent to Emmy award in United State.

steven1973sg

Post by steven1973sg » Oct 6th, '05, 17:24

I wanna add:
- Wandafuru Raifu (After Life)
- Mabudachi (Bad Company)
- 15-Sai: Gakko IV
- Kidzu Ritan (Kids Return)
- Shiko Funjatta (Sumo Do, Sumo Don't)
- Scoutman
- Akarui Mirai (Bright Future)
- Gekko no Sasayaki (Moonlight Whispers)
- Dare mo Shiranai (Nobody Knows)
- Hypnosis

bLaCkNbLuE

Post by bLaCkNbLuE » Oct 9th, '05, 07:12

Shall We Dansu? is definitely one of my favorites. A must see!

mikomi

Post by mikomi » Oct 10th, '05, 16:03

I love the following movies:

PingPong - drama/sport
Love Letter - romance
Be with You - romance
Nobody Knows - drama
Swing Girls - comedy
Himitsu (secret) - drama
All about Lily Chou Chou - drama/thriller

pokute
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by pokute » Oct 10th, '05, 16:18

I just watched Takeshi Kitano's "Dolls". It's mind blowing. If you get depressed easily you should avoid it, however.

Yoroshiku

Post by Yoroshiku » Oct 12th, '05, 02:53

just watched Ima, Ai ni Yukimasu and it was great!! highly recommanded

Himitsu is also great! In academy award both of them! won best actor and best actress in this movie! Ryoko and that dude.

itachi666

Post by itachi666 » Oct 12th, '05, 02:56

Yoroshiku wrote:just watched Ima, Ai ni Yukimasu and it was great!! highly recommanded

Himitsu is also great! In academy award both of them! won best actor and best actress in this movie! Ryoko and that dude.
I second that. This movie is great. :D

Trondog

Post by Trondog » Oct 12th, '05, 03:25

-Azumi I and II for Aya Ueto...omgz
-Survive Style 5+ because I found it very funny and entertaining
-University of Laughs, fairly entertaining. Little bland at points but I enjoyed it in the end
-Casshern if you are an anime fan and remember Casshan, this movie is very cool regardless though
-Fantastipo very bizzare film but funny nonetheless
-When the Last Sword is Drawn, very good movie :)

spacecommand

Post by spacecommand » Oct 12th, '05, 03:31

Sekai No Chushin movie is good as well.

Oh not to mention if you are a fan of the Odoru Daisosasen series (found here on daddicts) the movie versions are named BAYSIDE SHAKEDOWN, last time I checked Bayside Shakedown 2 the movie was the highest money making non animated movie in Japanese cinema history. 2 more "Spin off" movies were released this year as well.

yohanesko

Post by yohanesko » Oct 12th, '05, 06:50

TOKYO RAIDER - (2000 something) action, comedy, and romance, this movie is so hilarious :D

albertoavena

Post by albertoavena » Oct 12th, '05, 16:47

This seems a more of an anime but, "Tokyo Godfathers" was pretty good. I really liked it, good story...

Lime-kun

Post by Lime-kun » Oct 13th, '05, 22:36

Imho, if you could see only one Japanese movie in your lifetime it should be All About Lily Chou-Chou.......that movie is so brilliant.......almost changed the way I view the world!!

lila_ai

Post by lila_ai » Oct 16th, '05, 02:08

Shall we Dance is indeed a gorgeous movie.
Have only watched like 10 other jmovies and most of them dissapointed me. I expected more from my fav. singer Miyavi in O-re-sa-ma and Ichi the Killer is a big no no if you can't stand to watch human slicing. O_o
But the ones I recommend: all by Hayao Miyazak. They are very beautiful. (Spirited Away was my first love). They are sweet and touches ones heart. And of course Battle Royale :-)

pfl_fan

What I Recommend

Post by pfl_fan » Oct 16th, '05, 22:58

I've only seen a handful of J-movies, but I must say I enjoyed Shall We Dance? and Zatoichi a lot. There's a scene in Zatoichi that had me laughing for at least 15 minutes. If you want quirky, watch Tampopo.

diOdio

Post by diOdio » Oct 17th, '05, 21:39

all about lily chou chou
hana and alice
crying out love in the center of the world
nobody knows

favorites of mine!
anyone know where i can find gigi? i saw it once at yesasia.com for $60 but thats out of my price range for a dvd.

doramara-ba
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by doramara-ba » Oct 20th, '05, 06:19

(My first post ever, so no laughing/flaming please...)

Lots of good Japanese films mentioned already, here are a few I don't think have been mentioned yet:

1. Wandafuru raifu (released as 'Afterlife' in the US): http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0165078/
A flim by Koreeda Hirokazu, who also made 'Dare mo shiranai' (released as 'Nobody Knows' in the US)
It's a little melancholy, but quite thought provoking and with a clever twist...

2. Rajio no jikan (released as 'Welcome Back, Mr. McDonald' in the US): http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0133170/
A great comedy!

3. Sennen joyu (anime, released as 'Millennium Actress' in the US): http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0291350/
A Satoshi Kon film, after 'Perfect Blue' but before to 'Tokyo Godfathers'. Very creative (love?) story.

itachi666

Post by itachi666 » Oct 20th, '05, 08:13

Didn't like the movie version of it. Im a fan of Masami Nagasawa and I think she did a good job with her role in the movie but the movie itself sucked.

wachi

Post by wachi » Oct 21st, '05, 02:34

I like the idea of Wandafuru Raifu. If you can only have one memory to take with you to heaven, which would you take? I love this movie as well, touching and meaningful.

feedmeister

Post by feedmeister » Oct 21st, '05, 03:04

I don't think these were mentioned yet:

Woman in the Dunes (Suna no onna)
Ohayo
Sisters of the Gion
Ikiru
Postman Blues
Pornostar
Shinjuku Triad Society
Ley Lines
Rainy Dog
Lady Snowblood 1 & 2
Samurai Fiction
Dodesukaden (Kurosawa. I haven't seen all of it but what I did see was a trip)

Mythrel

Post by Mythrel » Oct 21st, '05, 03:16

I'd say any movie by Akria Kurosawa or Takashi Kaito :P I really enjoyed battle royal. Zebraman by Takashi miike was pretty freaking funny if you ask me. There is also a movie I forget what its called where this mother abandons her kids and they try to survive on their own.

x_XJules
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by x_XJules » Oct 21st, '05, 03:23

Happiness of the Katakuris.

:D :D