What Happened In Bali? (SBS, 2004) *Warning: SPOILERS!*

Discuss Korean drama series here.
jianwa

What Happened In Bali? (SBS, 2004) *Warning: SPOILERS!*

Post by jianwa » Apr 19th, '05, 00:24

Man, after watching the ending. Ha Ji Won is a !@#!@#@!@@ Can't she make up her mind? *sigh* I guess they set it up to have a shocking/unexpected ending like another Kdrama which I felt was much better.

So who should Ha Ji Won end up with? I wish the girl that married the rich guy would shoot him in the end for killing the guy she loved. :lol:

busyizzy

Post by busyizzy » Apr 19th, '05, 03:30

That's what people loved about it. Usually in k-drama, the couples are predetermined; you can usually tell by episode 1-3 who is gonna end up with who. It's just a matter of overcoming the obstacles. But humans aren't usually so one-tracked. We get lost, mixed in our desires and wants. The girl wanted riches and an easy life, which the rich guy could provide for her. But she also felt something from So Ji Sup's character. It was a matter of deciding and organizing her priorities, her feelings and her desires. It's very mixed up and complicated.

And whether who she loved is up to the interpretation of the audience. I was rather fond of the rich guy. I though So Ji Sup angsted a bit too much in this role.

tokyo shounen

Post by tokyo shounen » Apr 19th, '05, 10:23

Finished this wonderful series yesterday, and man what a schocker!

I never thought of that, very tragic, cried. And it was very intresting when kang in wook turned out to be somewhat a bad guy, since he had planned the "robbery" and used lee soo jung as bait - but apperntly fell in love on th way. At first i thought lee soo jung was playing a role with jung jae min, alos had it planned with wook from the beginning, but it didnt make sense.

And in the last scene, where wook is in bed with lee soo jung, he gives her up very easily - didnt he really love her? - was it just for the money after all ?

Anyway, very memorable series. Big thanks to the ones providing softsubs!

jianwa

Post by jianwa » Apr 19th, '05, 16:30

tokyo shounen wrote: I never thought of that, very tragic, cried. And it was very intresting when kang in wook turned out to be somewhat a bad guy, since he had planned the "robbery" and used lee soo jung as bait - but apperntly fell in love on th way. At first i thought lee soo jung was playing a role with jung jae min, alos had it planned with wook from the beginning, but it didnt make sense.

And in the last scene, where wook is in bed with lee soo jung, he gives her up very easily - didnt he really love her? - was it just for the money after all ?

Somewhat of a bad guy or a smart guy? They hired him for being top of his class in college right? So he figured out eventually that he has been used.

I do not believe for a second that Lee Soo Jung as bait. Do not understand how she can be a bait.

I think in the end, Wook "studied" Soo Jung when she looked back at the airport and on the plane. It basically told him that she is not over the rich bastard. He is sad that she wants to go to him. In Wook was a reality guy. He knows in the end, even if you try to keep her, she will have regrets and do not wish to "jail" her. Kinda like the say "If you love her, set her free!" :lol:

tokyo shounen

Post by tokyo shounen » Apr 19th, '05, 16:44

haha, yeah, i agree with you.

Damn why couldnt lee soo jung just choose jung jae min, and wook the other one (forgot her name)?

:cry:

JadedAngel

Post by JadedAngel » Apr 19th, '05, 17:14

tokyo shounen wrote:haha, yeah, i agree with you.

Damn why couldnt lee soo jung just choose jung jae min, and wook the other one (forgot her name)?

:cry:
:lol You mean her friend Mi-hee? But yes, I definitely agree. I wanted Soo Jung to choose Jae-min from the beginning. I didn't like all the back and forth, though it was entertaining.

tokyo shounen

Post by tokyo shounen » Apr 19th, '05, 17:29

No i mean the one who married jung jae min. Werent they in love or something the past? it would make sense if they got togheter again.

tokyo shounen

Post by tokyo shounen » Apr 19th, '05, 18:11

Another thought.

How did jung jae min know where they stayed? Wasnt it the hotel he bought and "gave" to lee soo jung? If thats the case, how did she get kang in wook there?

hmm

jianwa

Post by jianwa » Apr 19th, '05, 18:47

tokyo shounen wrote:No i mean the one who married jung jae min. Werent they in love or something the past? it would make sense if they got togheter again.
That would end the story quickly. :)

TNF
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by TNF » Jun 30th, '05, 04:15

jianwa wrote:
tokyo shounen wrote: I never thought of that, very tragic, cried. And it was very intresting when kang in wook turned out to be somewhat a bad guy, since he had planned the "robbery" and used lee soo jung as bait - but apperntly fell in love on th way. At first i thought lee soo jung was playing a role with jung jae min, alos had it planned with wook from the beginning, but it didnt make sense.

Somewhat of a bad guy or a smart guy? They hired him for being top of his class in college right? So he figured out eventually that he has been used.

I do not believe for a second that Lee Soo Jung as bait. Do not understand how she can be a bait.

I think in the end, Wook "studied" Soo Jung when she looked back at the airport and on the plane. It basically told him that she is not over the rich bastard. He is sad that she wants to go to him. In Wook was a reality guy. He knows in the end, even if you try to keep her, she will have regrets and do not wish to "jail" her. Kinda like the say "If you love her, set her free!" :lol:
ok after watching the best kdrama ending EVER (no sarcasm here), I have to agree, I liked BOTH male leads, and I only rooted for kang in wook, b/c he was so ji sup :lol . But just judging from the characters, I think jung jae min either loved ha ji won more, or in wook just had trouble showing it. here's my thoughts on the characters:

Kang In Wook
very good portrayal by so ji sup. I got the sense that he was a very dangerous character, in a sense that I kept on thinking he was planning something. I thought he was a very angry character with lots of angst, perhaps b/c he wanted to break out of poverty. He seemed a ruthless character, who's got brains and the guts to use them, but at the same time seems like an loyal employee. in wook's character is very much always trying to supress his own feelings, so I was confused at times whether he really loved soo jung or not.
I don't think he was an "evil" character, just some one who is troubled by his poverty, and harsh life. I felt bad for him b/c sometimes it seemed as if he doesn't have the confidence to win soo jung b/c he's competing with suc ha wealthy oppoenent.

Jung Jae Min
i thought he was sort of a spoiled brat at first....

Ok, I'll finish this post later, it's kinda late :mrgreen:

apples

Post by apples » Jun 30th, '05, 13:01

there has to be something wrong with me. when everyone loves so ji sup, i feel the opposite. i didn't like him when i first saw him in a thousand years of love. that didn't change when i watched MISA. maybe that's why i've been rooting for Jae-Min after episode 2. he seemed really pathetic that i felt he has to win the girl.

i liked how "bad" and cunning Kang In-Wok turned out in the end. Actually, I was simply amazed. But since Jae-Min has never been strong and stable in just about anything, it was actually predictable that he could lose himself. I think I would go insane after one guy steals everything i have, including that most important person. but unlike jae-min, i'd never shoot a loved one no matter how angry i am.

All the bad and pathetic characteristics of people came out in this drama: eg. greed, jealousy, angst. Even if the ending was made for a shocker effect, it was still effective. I'm not really a big fan of sad dramas, but I'd rather have it that way than a happy ending.

truong.michelle

Post by truong.michelle » Jun 30th, '05, 13:18

you're kidding, you don't like so ji sup? *sob* i haven't actually seen a thousand years love story so i can't talk about it but MISA was terrific. It moves me everytime i watch it, how a dying man is driven to the dark side thinking the world has abandoned him only to find he is loved and feels "complete" even in death. doesn't that pull on a heart string or something?

apples

Post by apples » Jun 30th, '05, 13:27

truong.michelle wrote:you're kidding, you don't like so ji sup? *sob* i haven't actually seen a thousand years love story so i can't talk about it but MISA was terrific. It moves me everytime i watch it, how a dying man is driven to the dark side thinking the world has abandoned him only to find he is loved and feels "complete" even in death. doesn't that pull on a heart string or something?
it's too hard to get a thousand years of love, but i did see a few episodes. i started disliking his character set on the present (not the one from thje previous millenium). maybe it was a mistake to watch that one first before MISA. it's not that i disliked misa, but i didn't get the same feeling as most ppl. so it's the same thing for WHIB, everyone rooting for so ji sup except for me and a few ppl..

JadedAngel

Post by JadedAngel » Jun 30th, '05, 13:48

tokyo shounen wrote:Another thought.

How did jung jae min know where they stayed? Wasnt it the hotel he bought and "gave" to lee soo jung? If thats the case, how did she get kang in wook there?

hmm
No, that wasn't the hotel Jae-min bought for her since his father blocked the sale from going through......But he remembered from all his conversations with her that she always wanted to go back to Bali so he knew that's where he should look for her. And as for his wife, I hated her, she didn't deserve either one of them. She would say that she loved In-wook, but then at the same time admit that she was only using him. She couldn't stand Jae-min and yet she didn't want Lee Soo-jung to have him either.

But I absolutely loved Jae-min in this. I know he was spoiled and everything, but at the sametime so much of him just seemed like a lost little boy. And I was so tired of his father beating him all the time, if he saw how much his son loved the girl shouldn't he have figured that by letting his son have her would be the best way to control him? Still, I loved this drama and cried hysterically when it ended. Its my all time favorite k-drama, but I don't think that I'll ever be able to watch it again. :lol

Oh, and Kai Lien had "A Thousand Years in Love" in her clubbox, so you could check there for them or request it from her.

jianwa

Post by jianwa » Jun 30th, '05, 16:45

JadedAngel wrote:Still, I loved this drama and cried hysterically when it ended. Its my all time favorite k-drama, but I don't think that I'll ever be able to watch it again. :lol

Oh, and Kai Lien had "A Thousand Years in Love" in her clubbox, so you could check there for them or request it from her.
It it was not for Ha Ji Won, I would've deleted WHIB already. Also In Wook guy was good in "Thousand Years of Love." Again, dissapointed ending... I basically hate endings where the characters chooses no one like "Bodyguard." I sure deleted that kdrama because the story was good for the 90% of the series. Just that the ending sucked so bad and pissed me off.

jaymee

Post by jaymee » Jul 1st, '05, 08:29

Near the beginning of the drama, I wanted her to stay with Jae Min, then had a change of heart to Kang In-Wook. I actually felt sorry for Jung Jae Min ;\ but you could see that he truly loved her. He was willing to give up his position in the company just for Ha Ji Won's character (I forgot her name :P ) Kang In-Wook loved her also, but I think Jae Min loved her a bit more.. or as it seems.

Overall, I think they all did a great job on it. Jo In Sung was great at his break downs. but may have over exaggerated a tad bit because it started to irritate me a bit lol. It was heartbreaking to see Ha Ji Won's phone thrown in the bucket of water...then misunderstandings arose between her and Kang In-Wook. That was so..heartbreaking ;( The ending... I thought he was going to kill himself instead of everyone...it was sad when he killed the woman he truly loved.. then himself.

In the end, it proves that love can drive someone crazy. :blink
I couldn't sleep for a while after watching this..but definitely by far one of my most favorite dramas.

JadedAngel

Post by JadedAngel » Jul 1st, '05, 15:24

jianwa wrote:
JadedAngel wrote:Still, I loved this drama and cried hysterically when it ended. Its my all time favorite k-drama, but I don't think that I'll ever be able to watch it again. :lol

It it was not for Ha Ji Won, I would've deleted WHIB already. Also In Wook guy was good in "Thousand Years of Love." Again, dissapointed ending... I basically hate endings where the characters chooses no one like "Bodyguard." I sure deleted that kdrama because the story was good for the 90% of the series. Just that the ending sucked so bad and pissed me off.
Yeah, I hate those endings too which is why for the longest time after Iw ould only watch romantic comedies where the main guy and girl ends up together. But as we all know in the drama world, comedies are rare, so now I'm back to the dispointign stuff. :lol

jianwa

Post by jianwa » Jul 1st, '05, 21:00

JadedAngel wrote: Yeah, I hate those endings too which is why for the longest time after Iw ould only watch romantic comedies where the main guy and girl ends up together. But as we all know in the drama world, comedies are rare, so now I'm back to the dispointign stuff. :lol
Yeah. Now I basically stick to romantic comedies. But I am glad that I atleast got "Sorry, I love You" downloaded. That was a good drama, even thought it was sad.

JadedAngel

Post by JadedAngel » Jul 1st, '05, 23:54

jianwa wrote:
JadedAngel wrote: Yeah, I hate those endings too which is why for the longest time after Iw ould only watch romantic comedies where the main guy and girl ends up together. But as we all know in the drama world, comedies are rare, so now I'm back to the dispointign stuff. :lol
Yeah. Now I basically stick to romantic comedies. But I am glad that I atleast got "Sorry, I love You" downloaded. That was a good drama, even thought it was sad.
Really? Everyone keeps telling me that but I haven't watched it yet. I have the first episode downloaded though. I'm surprised I haven't since I'm such a big So Ji Sup fan.

chitato_80

Post by chitato_80 » Sep 14th, '05, 06:55

I'm resurrecting this thread now since it's KSOTM now

I wanted to have create a poll like the other drama discussion threads ( Rate the drama from Life- altering to STAY AWAY) :p but I wasn't sure if I should create a new thread since there's already this one.

Many people should be watching this right now, right ? And i'm sure some of you have probably already finished the series. Thoughts ?

shayla

Post by shayla » Sep 15th, '05, 22:05

Just saw the last episode and was dissappointed of the end. I was kind of wondering in the middle if both Jae-Min and In-Wook were using Soo-jung (Jae-Min cause he hated In-Wook and wanted to keep Soo-Jung away from In-Wook and In-Wook because he hated Jae-Min for taking Young-Joo from him and for being rich.). But then wanted Jae-Min to just stand up to his parents and leave them and stop being a coward. Maybe Jae-Min didn't hear Soo-Jung confess to In-Wook that she loved Jae-Min. I think Jae-Min just should have started fighting instead of getting a gun. Well that's my two cents.

Loved So Ji Sub and think he is a great actor and how versatile his acting is. Jo In Sung is superb in this drama too and just made a new fan of me. His crying affected me and found myself getting caught up feeling for him. :-)

Oh, btw wanted Jae-Min to be with Soo-Jung.

rel

Post by rel » Sep 16th, '05, 18:27

jianwa wrote:

Agreed. I hated those endings also, annoying and frustrating, why go through all that work just to end up alone haha! :p Crazy ending.. shocker for me, I didnt like it at all just insane.. I could never imagine killing, it just shows crazy obsession over someone :p

crackalack

Post by crackalack » Sep 17th, '05, 00:27

What a funny show. I knew they'd end it with some overblown melodrama. Despite that, JIS was attractive...sometimes. His crying was funny, and his drunkeness was also amusing. I watched the first episodes and thought, "Dear god, when does it get good? Will it get good?" And it did, eventually. I thought Jae-min looked like Ben Affleck and In-Wook looked like John Lennon when I watched the first episode. That one put me to sleep.

I really like stories where guys snub some poor urchin girl in the beginning, and then they lose themselves to her later.

khristine

Post by khristine » Sep 17th, '05, 01:40

this drama for me is life altering..well, i wouldnt be in d addicts if i havent come across this drama.. :mrgreen: ive seen loads of kdramas before but only WHIB got me surfing the net for more coz i just cant get enough of it.. now im planning to download lots of dramas, not just korean.. i finally am a certified addict! :D hehe..

seriously now.. i think initially, lee soo jong loved kang in wook.. but gradually developed feelings for jung jae min. it was even kang in wook who opened it up for her in a discrete way..talking about the hegenomy thing. She just couldn’t admit it even to herself coz she knows there’s no way jung jae min and her to end up together, with jung jae min’s status and his being engaged.

many people were led to believe that lee soo jong is the one to blame here for not deciding strongly who to choose... but I think lee soo jong is not in the position to choose jung jae min and she knows that. it was jung jae min who has to choose her. but as we see it, jung jae min is weak and couldn’t defend lee soo jong so she rooted for kang in wook instead, even though she loved jae min more...

koolmangtx

Post by koolmangtx » Sep 17th, '05, 04:13

This Drama was great.. yeah it was funny sometimes when jamien cried :D

koolmangtx

Post by koolmangtx » Sep 17th, '05, 04:17

rel wrote:
jianwa wrote:

Agreed. I hated those endings also, annoying and frustrating, why go through all that work just to end up alone haha! :p Crazy ending.. shocker for me, I didnt like it at all just insane.. I could never imagine killing, it just shows crazy obsession over someone :p
All I could think when I saw the part were He was standing in the window looking at them was he's going to kill them lol. Alot of the drama was really predictable but very interesting to watch... one thing that I couldn't understand was why they made in-wook so damn moody made me hate his char he would smile then do the im smarter then you smirk or im going to beat the crap out you thing then go into a moody silence haha

smartasien

Post by smartasien » Sep 17th, '05, 04:34

This was my first kdrama, and i must say i'm very impressed. It was awesome.

I was like rooting for Jung Jae-min like the whole time. Guy has so much more heart than that stone faced Kang In-wook. The ending was really depressing, but I thought that Lee Soo-jung's last words gave good closure to the show, especially when Jae-min pumped In-wook full of lead! :twisted: I actually smiled LOL.

Anyhow, does anyone know any other kdramas as good or better than this one?

hide

Post by hide » Sep 17th, '05, 08:47

i wanted to say this for a long time...............WTF!? kind of ending is that lol

anyways great series until the bazaar ending, can't they just leave in peace gosh!

JadedAngel

Post by JadedAngel » Sep 17th, '05, 09:04

smartasien wrote:This was my first kdrama, and i must say i'm very impressed. It was awesome.

I was like rooting for Jung Jae-min like the whole time. Guy has so much more heart than that stone faced Kang In-wook. The ending was really depressing, but I thought that Lee Soo-jung's last words gave good closure to the show, especially when Jae-min pumped In-wook full of lead! :twisted: I actually smiled LOL.

Anyhow, does anyone know any other kdramas as good or better than this one?
I was going for Jae-min too! I loved him in this. Many said he was weak, but I don't think so, its just that everytime he stood up for himself he would get beaten down by his father. Like when his dad picked up that chair, I kept thinking "What is this, wrestling?" After that, I don't think that I would be too quick to stand up to him either. :lol But I was laughing at the end, even though I figured out what was going to happen, it completely devastated me (the only drama so far to do that), though like you I loved Soo-Jung's last line. It was touching.

Btw, have you seen Damo? Not as good, but....

ironicwave
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ironicwave » Sep 17th, '05, 13:39

just finished watching this myself. funny thing is, i think i may have misread a spoiler somewhere before i started the series, it said something about young-joo being the only one to die in the end. so here is me watching this thing and the whole while loathing her more with each episode (sorry, i had absolutely NO sympathy at all for that witch).
i kept thinking to myself, whatever, she'll get hers in the end. so you can probably just imagine my face at the ending scene. :crazy: that just totally sucked. :cry:
regardless of how spoiled a brat jae-min was, i thought him adorable. and that ice-pillar in-wook made me want to hit him whenever i saw him. i may have had a bit more compassion for him than young-joo, but only just a little, like when he cried. but his little smirks he would give jae-min made me want to sock him one, but good. :x
i felt really bad for jae-min, being in that kind of situation has to bite the big one. while i empathized with him and his family troubles, it frustrated me to no end that he was always so rough with soo-jung instead of confirming his feelings for her more clearly.
as for her character, her actions seemed the most understandable. in any case, since it wouldn't be a drama without all those twists, turns and misunderstandings, it was expected, but that whole concept of appearances, money, social standing, etc. ruthlessly obliterating the chance at real love makes me sick.
a good drama in my opinion even if it shattered my hopes for a jae-min - soo-jung happy ending.

NatNat

Post by NatNat » Sep 17th, '05, 21:44

jianwa wrote:

Hey, i understand if there's spoilers for the show mentioned in the subject title
but is NOT COOL to SPOIL ANOTHER SERIES. I haven't even finished bodygaurd yet =*( THANKS A HEAP!

back to WHIB. This show really delivered. It had all the elements that television dramas should have: needless suspense, melodramtic acting (you know, Jo In Sung and Ha Ji Won's LOUUUUUUD crying) and a "surprise" twist ending. To be truthful, it was a complete surprise to me since I did not expect this of a K-Drama. I expected twirling cameras and sparkles. Or rather, since this had nothing but tragedy tones, someone was going to die of a horrific accident or CANCER. You know the drill.

So, WHIB is an amazing series which delivers what you need out of a Drama but also keeps you on your toes. Two Thumbs Up. Way Up.

tingy

Post by tingy » Sep 19th, '05, 06:25

i just watched this drama..and i must say its really good..finished e whole series within 2 days... :D

but....the ending is really shocking and kinda makes me feel rather disturbed about it...been thinking about the show...how can they end it this way?..such a dark and tragic ending...i find it really unexpected bcos the show had quite alot of humour scenes and suddenly they end it like this... :cry:

cokelat

Post by cokelat » Sep 19th, '05, 07:24

waahh.. what wwwwwrong with ending.......

NatNat

Post by NatNat » Sep 19th, '05, 07:32

tingy wrote:i just watched this drama..and i must say its really good..finished e whole series within 2 days... :D

but....the ending is really shocking and kinda makes me feel rather disturbed about it...been thinking about the show...how can they end it this way?..such a dark and tragic ending...i find it really unexpected bcos the show had quite alot of humour scenes and suddenly they end it like this... :cry:
it's kind of like real life then, isn't it? the real world isn't always happy and humorous. it contains all ranges of emotions and experiences.

tingy

Post by tingy » Sep 19th, '05, 12:56

NatNat wrote:
tingy wrote:i just watched this drama..and i must say its really good..finished e whole series within 2 days... :D

it's kind of like real life then, isn't it? the real world isn't always happy and humorous. it contains all ranges of emotions and experiences.
i guess so....*sob*....

jianwa

Post by jianwa » Sep 19th, '05, 17:14

NatNat wrote: Hey, i understand if there's spoilers for the show mentioned in the subject title
but is NOT COOL to SPOIL ANOTHER SERIES. I haven't even finished bodygaurd yet =*( THANKS A HEAP!
Your welcome! I just "SAVED" you from wasting time :lol

Anyways, unintentional and that drama made still made feel angry for ever watching it.

rock'et

Post by rock'et » Sep 19th, '05, 17:41

NatNat wrote: it's kind of like real life then, isn't it? the real world isn't always happy and humorous. it contains all ranges of emotions and experiences.
yeah things that happened in the drama ending does happen in real life, I've never knew anyone close to me encountered such fate but I've heard several real story about some people who did have something similar happened to them (tragic love or whatever you want to called it.)

It seem no character ever really changed in this drama (except that Jae Min at last somewhat become a shattered person) and most of the characters other than the main 3 is somewhat really bad/rotten hearted person, well may be they do intend to focus on the bad aspect of life and human bad attitude. And one other thing is what's up with the In Kwook character? It seems like he think he is the super cool guy or something lol.

It's not that I hate drama series where main character/s dies but I've probably be more satisfied if the ending somehow solve certain things but it isn't. If they really do have something to convey in this drama it's probably this -" this world is a ****."

Anyway pardon my rant, I mean no offense to the fans of this drama or any character in it, just expressing my thought here.

Dahee Fanel

Post by Dahee Fanel » Sep 19th, '05, 23:18

I watched this drama a long time ago, but I recently finished watching it for the third time, so here I am. :P

I've participated in endless discussions about this very dense and complex drama, so instead of repeating myself, I'll just paste what I wrote after I watched it the second time.
All in all, I'm very impressed with this drama. It was a little slow at parts, but it was different from other Korean dramas (and believe me, I've seen a lot of them), and I was absolutely FLOORED by the ending. Despite the whole "death" scenario, I thought this was one of the most original and in-your-face endings I'd ever seen in a Korean drama. So bravo for the scriptwriters!

The reason I had to re-watch this drama was because the first time around, I didn't like it very much. And I can definitely say that the reason I didn't like it was because I disliked all the emphasis on money, and the horrible things it could do to people...maybe it was too realistic for me. Another reason I disliked it was because I hated to watch Soojung get swayed away from Inwook, and towards Jaemin. I've been a So Ji Sub fan for a veeeery long time, you see, and I hated to see him get mistreated. :rolleyes: But after re-watching it, I've discovered the charm and allure of this drama.

Still, some of my opinions have not changed. My favourite character is still Kang Inwook. Out of the four characters, I felt he was the most selfless, and the most clearheaded...yet he was also the most misunderstood (although that's up for debate). He presented a calm, uncaring face to the world, but in actuality, he was a truly pitiful character, one who had been dumped by the woman he loved in favour of money, and who, after seemingly gaining the love of Soojung, lost her to money as well. I'm sure he wondered, in later episodes, how everything would have turned out if he hadn't given her so much freedom...if he'd expressed his love for her more. But frankly, I would want a boyfriend like him; one who didn't try to control me or tell me what to do. Soojung was one lucky gal. :wub:

I disliked Jung Jaemin at first, which was surprising for me, because I had been a fan of Jo In Sung in his other dramas (I especially liked him in "Piano"). I hated the way he tried to "control" Soojung. His love for her scared me, a little bit - it was so obsessive, and deep. However, I empathized with the trapped feelings he had - I hated his family for controlling him like some sort of wild beast that had to be tamed. I suppose that's why he treated Soojung that way - because that was the only kind of love he understood. And I liked the way he progressed from a lazy, self-absorbed "loser" (in every sense of the word) into a man who would do anything for love - well, anything except give up money. Once again, money destroyed him, just like it destroyed Inwook. I suppose it was a combination of his loss of money, as well as his loss of Soojung (although, really, it was partly his own fault she left - did he really expect her to stay and allow herself to be cast into the shadows, where no one in his family could see her?) and his hatred of Inwook that led him to do what he did. A truly pitiful character.

Now, it was difficult for me to like Lee Soojung - the way she threw herself at Jaemin, and basically turned herself into a "whore", truly aggravated me. She used Jaemin for money, and she used Inwook for the love and respect she craved (and the silly boys let her!). But in the end, I had to empathize with her. She thought money would bring her happiness, but it didn't. Who hasn't fantasized at one point about wooing a rich guy, and living in luxury for the rest of your life? She had no self-respect, and I have to wonder how she would have turned out if her parents had lived. She herself didn't know what she wanted, and tragically, she paid for it in the end.

You know, ALL the characters should have visited the psychiatrist...maybe the ending would have turned out differently then.
I wrote this next part a couple of months after I wrote the above, in reply to a girl who was rewatching this drama and taking notes, and another girl who questioned whether Soojung ever loved Inwook or not.
In-wook inexpressive? No. He reaches out to hold Young-joo's hand in front of Jae-min. He passes food to her. He punches a tree in frustration because of Jae-min's sudden appearance in Bali. He's visibly irritated with Soo-jung's chatting. He throws her out of the cab. He's practically scowling the entire trip to Tanah Lot. When a drunken Jae-min hits him, he hits back. He asks Young-joo, "What am I to you?" This is an In-wook whose emotions are laid bare for the viewer to see. How did he become such a closed-book later?
I disagree with the idea that SJ never loved IW. Like jusash said, during much of the drama, she showed happiness when their relationship was going well, and distress when it wasn't. I think those were really the only times when genuine happiness on her part was unconnected to materialism. She waited for him to come home. She respected his opinion more than anyone else's. She wanted him to think well of her. She looked up to him. These are all signs of love.

Despite everything, IW would have made the better boyfriend/husband. He cared for her although he had seen her weakest moments and knew her innermost thoughts. He saw right through her every motive. JM may have seen this too, but if he did, I don't think he really cared. IW cared, but he loved her anyway (yes, I do believe he really loved her.). Yet the truly tragic part of their relationship was the fact that SJ didn't understand IW. The understanding was one-sided. Yes, he opened himself up to her more than to anyone else, but I don't think she really grasped what he told her. That's why the relationship didn't work. She needed things to be up front. He was too subtle for her. After dealing with the bluntness and rudeness that the world had treated her to thus far (and after dealing with JM's similarly rough treatment of her), she was too confused by IW's silence and unclear motives. It was a true tragedy for IW, to not be understood by the woman he loved (although this wasn't the first time by any means, since YJ didn't understand him either).
I'm sure SJ loved IW, and was going through a constant battle between her love for IW and her desire for comfort and security. Notice how she only went to JM after a fight with IW, or when she was particularly desperate? As for WHY she eventually fell in love with JM, well, I have to say it's because he was like this fantasy guy to her. He was rich, handsome, and madly in love with her. When someone loves you that much, it's hard not to reciprocate those feelings. I guess you could say that, in a way, JM "forced" her to love him.

I don't think any of the characters became "better" as the story progressed. In fact, I think SJ grew worse and worse, and that JM, while at least learning to love, became absolutely fanatical about it, and fell into a dark obsession. He is the kind of man who cannot do things halfway - he must go ALL the way, no matter what. Because of that, his murders at the end of the series were inevitable. IW grew darker too, but only because of the other characters - YJ abandoned him; SJ was his only tenuously, failed to understand him, and went to JM for money; JM continuously hurt YJ (IW's 1st love), and allowed SJ to fall deeper and deeper into her mercenary ways. In fact, I think JM was more of a manipulator than SJ ever was. SJ tried to "lure" him in, but it ended up the other way around. JM sought HER out, let her try to gain his money, etc. SJ would never have gone as far as she did if he hadn't encouraged her. Although I may be giving JM too much credit by saying this...

Actually, ALL the characters grew darker because of the actions of the other characters. YJ lost both IW and JM, both of whom were "supposed" to be in love with her; SJ was manipulated by JM; IW was misunderstood and mistreated; JM was constantly hurt by others, and no one ever expected him to become anything better. It was a constant, vicious cycle that they simply couldn't get out of. How depressing.
Now that I've seen this three times, my views haven't really changed. I do, however, admire JM more than I did, and I really like SJ now. I also pity YJ very much.

And that's my two cents.

To read other reviews and dissections of this drama, go here: http://www.hotelier2002.com/forum/viewt ... c&&start=0

khristine

Post by khristine » Sep 20th, '05, 00:07

wow, Dahee.. lots of insights there.. gotta read all of 36 pages on the link you posted... that's what ive been looking for.. still cant get enough of WHIB!! thanks a bunch!! :-)

chitato_80

Post by chitato_80 » Sep 22nd, '05, 00:25

The first half of the series was just ok for me.. but the later episodes really got me hooked and I became obsessed with Jung Jae Min / Jo In Sung for weeks :lol ( I am still now.. but not as crazy .. ) :p

This drama is truly unique from the other kdramas that I've seen.. and it's the most memorable one for me.. I still think about it every now and then even though it's been months since I fnished the last episode.

I am planning tol rewatch it when I could find the time.

here's a very nice pic of Jo In Sung with Ha Ji Won
Attachments
joinsunghajiwon.jpg
joinsunghajiwon.jpg (47.76 KiB) Viewed 9089 times

khristine

Post by khristine » Sep 22nd, '05, 00:42

chitato_80 wrote:The first half of the series was just ok for me.. but the later episodes really got me hooked and I became obsessed with Jung Jae Min / Jo In Sung for weeks :lol ( I am still now.. but not as crazy .. ) :p

This drama is truly unique from the other kdramas that I've seen.. and it's the most memorable one for me.. I still think about it every now and then even though it's been months since I fnished the last episode.

I am planning tol rewatch it when I could find the time.
i know what you mean!! but i was obsessed more of So Ji Sub.. at first i was like lee soo jong.. couldnt decide whether to love kang in wook or jung jae min more.. but after a series of rewatch, i finally decided that i love kang in wook/so ji sub more.. hehe..

as what's been said on the other thread, WHIB is very addictive.. some kind of drug.. or rather.. some kind of disease that just wont go away.. :clap:

hksaznlibra

Post by hksaznlibra » Sep 23rd, '05, 18:37

Is it me or does Kang In-Wok need a serious tan? well i finished watching it i'd have to say the ending was the best part of the movie. Lee Soo Jung was a crying machine, that was kinda pissing me off. I was yelling at her to shut up and her crying was so loud like a little kid. Jae min crying was funny and Jae min brother's laugh. That dude cracks me up. Over all I guess it was o.k its not one of my favorite kdrama's. Maybe because i wasn't attracted to any of the actresses. =O/ and there were some characters that were really annoying to watch. That bum dude, and the the girl with the curly hair and jae min's mom. And can someone tell me how Lee Soo Jung got on a plane to Bali with no ID? Didn't Jae Min have her purse and ID?

POD

Post by POD » Sep 25th, '05, 01:11

To me, this series was over-rated. The beginning of the series was ok to watch, and after a few more episodes i couldn't stand it. Especially the second half. The thing is, when I start something, I have to finish it, and that was one of the reason why I watched it all.

The acting from the main cast is good, but besides that, everything else, like the story and so on is so cliche and pretty dreadful to watch. IMHO, it was hella draggy and annoying at times. The dude who acted as Jung Jae Min, did a great job, I was impressed. It was my first time seeing him, and I hope to see more of him. So Ji Sup is great too, but his character didn't required him to display his true talents in this series.

Other people like, jae min's mom, cho sang bae, mi hee (lee so jung's friend) were really annoying.

Anyways, that is what I personally thought.

I highly recommend " I"m Sorry, I Love You" that is a great series.

Jud

Post by Jud » Sep 25th, '05, 03:01

i don't understand why people hated the ending so much. i personaly love it HIW was just pissing me off so much by the seconded hafe that i was happy about what happen but then i got pissed off agian whe she told him i love you. i was like what the hell. why did you leave him in the 1st place. HJW just went down hill for me in this drama. at the begain i really liked her but after a while i just couldn't stand her and i started liking the 2nd female lead. i mean how hard is it to choose. she just went back and forth too many times for me.

NatNat

Post by NatNat » Sep 25th, '05, 10:47

again HJW's portrayal of a girl with unseeming pride was done well if you got upset with her. she would stoop to any level for money, but what she did not give freely was her love and respect. taking off with SJS's character was the only way she could salvage her pride for falling in love with JIS's character.

If she was flighty about her lovers, that is also a true depiction of real life. In what world does everyone always feel 100% about a single person?

as for the ending, it should only be praised as one of the best gimmicks ever pulled in Korean Television to appear as thought provoking or provocative. i merely enjoyed it because it wasn't your average ending (cancer, happily ever after, etc).

khristine

Post by khristine » Sep 26th, '05, 01:45

POD wrote:
MISA's a great series indeed.. but not as thought provoking as WHIB.. personally, i like SJS's character as kang inwook more than moohyuk.. maybe i have to rewatch MISA like what i did to WHIB to be able to grasp moohyuks character more.. :D

p.s.. i dont know why people see HJW's Lee Soo Jong as a person with no pride.. as i see it, she really has lots of pride.. oh well, i guess people really has different perspectives..

POD

Post by POD » Sep 26th, '05, 04:03

khristine wrote:
POD wrote:
MISA's a great series indeed.. but not as thought provoking as WHIB.. personally, i like SJS's character as kang inwook more than moohyuk.. maybe i have to rewatch MISA like what i did to WHIB to be able to grasp moohyuks character more.. :D

p.s.. i dont know why people see HJW's Lee Soo Jong as a person with no pride.. as i see it, she really has lots of pride.. oh well, i guess people really has different perspectives..
Thats respectable. btw, what does MISA stand for?

khristine

Post by khristine » Sep 26th, '05, 07:09

POD wrote: Thats respectable. btw, what does MISA stand for?
miahnhada, saranghanda (sorry i love you).. i guess..

Wwaldo37

Post by Wwaldo37 » Sep 27th, '05, 20:22

Ok watched the last two episodes of W@*&!HIB ended around 2:30 am.

WOW :pale:

I just re-watched the final episode of Lovely Sam Soon this morning In order to get that taste out of my mouth (I feel better now). Btw: I didn't mind the ending of bodigadu wasn't great but (last weekend).

Wow what a surprise-shocker! The most shocking ending I've seen yet... I think. (No busses at least)

Much of this was brought on in regard to dahee's post.

I can't say I was surprised in the least Lee Soo-Jung said "I love you" at the end I felt that all along she just wouldn't admit it to herself.

I seem to disagree on a few points people keep mentioning

I think Lee Soo-Jung loved In-Wook very much as a BEST-FRIEND, however, I don't think she was ever in lust with him (the kind of love that makes one crazy)

I might need to re-watch the beginning over again (immediately after watching the end I queued the hq-ep 02 lol) to see what there initial feelings after Bali were. But, It is possible if not likely that Lee Soo-Jung fell in love with Jung Jae-Min while in bali.

Jung Jae-Min on the other hand kept offering her money and saying things like I can't give you marriage..." I don't EXPECT you to give me your heart... Its enough I give you mine" (or something to that effect) I think that Lee Soo-Jung was angry, hurt and humiliated that Jung Jae-Min was willing to possess her out of his assumption that he couldn't have her heart (when he could have if he was more direct and had the expectation for her to return his love) . Lee Soo-Jung wouldn't admit to herself that she loved Jung Jae-Min and it was driving her crazy in a way In-Wook never could.

I really wonder if Lee Soo-Jung was after money like everyone seems to post about. I was kind of surprised people posted that she was at sometime or an other after Jung Jae-Min for the money. Every time she said/admitted "Its for the money!" it never seemed sincere and that she was saying it to hurt Jung Jae-Min for being perceived as a gold-digger and betrayed.

Do you think it would it have made a difference to Jung Jae-Min if he had heard their final conversation and would he have been able to put the gun away after showing them?

I had hoped for a happy ending where the four of them remained good friends for years to come and where Lee Soo-Jung and Kang In-Wook were perhaps closer best-friends with the "normal" pairing of Lee Soo-Jung-Jung Jae-Min & Kang In-Wook-Choi Young-Joo.

I was even imagining something where Kang In-Wook would embezzle a nice nest egg that the four of them could live on independently of poppa... sigh.

I always felt a deep-down respect between Jung Jae-Min and Kang In-Wook that just wasn't allowed to blossom (lol) and I thought they could be good friends (if only Choi Young-Joo had given in?)

Did the older brother DIE?! Was the family decimated?
Choi Young-Joo appears to be the only heir?

Yes... I used search/replace on all the names (LSJ->Lee Soo-Jung) ;P

NatNat

Post by NatNat » Sep 27th, '05, 23:11

hmmm, Lee Soo Jung's main motives weren't monetarily driven
but you have to agree that it is a factor that she is impoverished and suffering
Don't you remember the montage of her decision to move into the Flat Jung Jae Min had gotten her?
Among the voices, there was her Oppa's asking for money. She did partly do it for the money.

If she wasn't so poverty stricken, she would have enough pride to leave Jung Jae Min alone once he said he couldn't marry her. As for her being in love with Jung Jae Min since the first run-in in Bali, that's just absurd. How do you fall for a person you've only known for a brief while? And didn't he utterly humiliate her by tossing money at her and telling her to go buy new shoes? Come on, who the hell falls in love with that?!

Dahee Fanel

Post by Dahee Fanel » Sep 28th, '05, 04:32

Wwaldo37 wrote:Much of this was brought on in regard to dahee's post.

I can't say I was surprised in the least Lee Soo-Jung said "I love you" at the end I felt that all along she just wouldn't admit it to herself.

I seem to disagree on a few points people keep mentioning

I think Lee Soo-Jung loved In-Wook very much as a BEST-FRIEND, however, I don't think she was ever in lust with him (the kind of love that makes one crazy)

I might need to re-watch the beginning over again (immediately after watching the end I queued the hq-ep 02 lol) to see what there initial feelings after Bali were. But, It is possible if not likely that Lee Soo-Jung fell in love with Jung Jae-Min while in bali.

Jung Jae-Min on the other hand kept offering her money and saying things like I can't give you marriage..." I don't EXPECT you to give me your heart... Its enough I give you mine" (or something to that effect) I think that Lee Soo-Jung was angry, hurt and humiliated that Jung Jae-Min was willing to possess her out of his assumption that he couldn't have her heart (when he could have if he was more direct and had the expectation for her to return his love) . Lee Soo-Jung wouldn't admit to herself that she loved Jung Jae-Min and it was driving her crazy in a way In-Wook never could.

I really wonder if Lee Soo-Jung was after money like everyone seems to post about. I was kind of surprised people posted that she was at sometime or an other after Jung Jae-Min for the money. Every time she said/admitted "Its for the money!" it never seemed sincere and that she was saying it to hurt Jung Jae-Min for being perceived as a gold-digger and betrayed.

Do you think it would it have made a difference to Jung Jae-Min if he had heard their final conversation and would he have been able to put the gun away after showing them?

I had hoped for a happy ending where the four of them remained good friends for years to come and where Lee Soo-Jung and Kang In-Wook were perhaps closer best-friends with the "normal" pairing of Lee Soo-Jung-Jung Jae-Min & Kang In-Wook-Choi Young-Joo.

I was even imagining something where Kang In-Wook would embezzle a nice nest egg that the four of them could live on independently of poppa... sigh.

I always felt a deep-down respect between Jung Jae-Min and Kang In-Wook that just wasn't allowed to blossom (lol) and I thought they could be good friends (if only Choi Young-Joo had given in?)
*rubs hands together gleefully*

Hehe, I was waiting for someone to argue with me. :D

Oh, where to start...?

I do not believe SJ loved IW only as a "best friend". I very carefully took notes during my third rewatch of WHIB, and rewound many scenes with her and IW and her and JM together to scrutinize her facial expressions closely. My conclusion? There were many instances where she obviously felt sexually attracted to him. She looked up to him. She respected him. She liked him. She loved him. He loved her. He was sort of her "Prince Charming" - only a poor one. In an early episode, she said "I would never date someone from this kind of neighbourhood" to Mi-hee. IW made her change her mind, but not for very long. I believe the combination of money, JM's charms, and IW's hesitancy made her go to JM. And I believe that JM's constant "chasing after" her and manipulation of her feelings and devotion is what made her fall for him, despite her initial feelings of disgust. I believe this was a very gradual process throughout the entire series. And no, I don't think she felt anything for JM in Bali, other than total disgust and humiliation.

Thus, I believe at one point in the series that she was in love with BOTH men at the SAME TIME. This might be when she was living in the apartment JM gave her, or even prior to that. And yes, it IS possible to be in love with two people at once.

Of course, this means that her love wasn't very strong for either of them. Indeed, I've discussed this many times with the people on the message board that I gave a link to in my last post, and we've concluded (pretty much) that, had she gone with JM in the end and left IW in Bali, she would have pined for IW, just like she pined for IW while she was living in the apartment. But I do think she loved JM at least a little bit more (perhaps because she tried so hard NOT to love him?).

I don't think money played a huge, HUGE role in her actions, but I do think it played a fairly sizable role. You need to really understand her situation to see this - she's so poor, she's almost destitute. She's depending on her friend for survival. She can't get a decent job, despite her excellent qualifications. Her brother is constantly wasting money and getting into trouble. What kind of girl wouldn't jump at the chance of escaping a life full of "trash"?

I do not believe overhearing that final conversation would have made a difference to JM. In fact, I believe that he DID hear at least a bit of it, at least the last part - I think it would have been impossible for him not to have, seeing as how the room was so quiet, and how he had to sneak in, so was in the room DURING that conversation. He MUST have heard them. I think he just

a) chose not to believe them
b) thought it didn't matter at this point
c) was too far gone (perhaps insane?) to really care.

I had hoped for a happy ending, too - only I wanted it to end with SJ and IW happy together in Bali. Honestly, the first time I watched this, I despised JM and YJ. (Not anymore, though!)

I don't think IW and YJ ever really had a chance, and I really didn't want them to get together again. I honestly don't think YJ deserved IW. She had too much pride (or SHOWED too much pride), she was snobby, she was cold, and she had no intention of throwing away her money for him. I don't believe she TRULY loved him. Well, I do believe she "loved" him, but not enough. Money was more important to her, and IW knew it. He was absolutely heartbroken over her. (Imagine how he must have felt, then, to fall for SJ, and then realize she was going to JM for money.) You can't easily get over that kind of abandonment.

I always felt that "respect" between IW and JM, too! There were certain moments in the series where I sighed and thought wistfully, "If only". I think IW would have made a great older brother to JM. :lol

To read my notes on the episodes (I've only posted seven of them so far), go to the latter pages of this thread (I am posting the link for the latest page):
http://www.hotelier2002.com/forum/viewt ... &start=370

NatNat

Post by NatNat » Sep 28th, '05, 23:26

that's basically what i said
but much, much shorter.

khristine

Post by khristine » Sep 30th, '05, 05:50

just thought id jot down some of my thoughts...

..in defense of lee soo jong(for being perceived by most as prideless)..

LSJ may have gone to jaemin's apartment because of money but she didnt go there to give herself all the way.. i remembered her clarifying to jaemin what she's gonna do for him and what's in it for her.. the conversation goes something like this..

JJM: so did u decide? (to live in his apartment)
LSJ: you just want me to stay by your side?
JJM: yeah
LSJ: is that all you want from me?
JJM: yeah (i dont think LSJ would have considered if JJM answered otherwise :roll )
LSJ: and what will you do for me?
JJM: anything except marry you. (ouch)
LSJ: (stares at JJM then replies) alright then..

so she pretty much draw the line between them here.. she agreed to stay as long as no physical/intimate relationship whatsoever is involved.. but she later on realized that even just that (staying by his side, literally) makes her feel so uncomfortable so she decides to leave without any hesitation the moment she found an opportune time.

with regards to the first time she borrowed money, she was very sincere in saying that she'll pay for it.. but when JJM said no and refused to lend her, she sort of offered herself to him(at least, to that effect), in a subtle way. she sees offering herself as the last resort(coz she desperately needs money to get out of that bar her brother put them in for goodness sake!), but i dont think she meant it.. what she's concentrating on is to get jaemin to say yes and lend her the money then afterwards, i think she would still go to her original plan of paying it with money also (not herself) no matter what.. as we see it, it worked!! her tactic worked, though jaemin's impression of her has lowered. (am i stretching it too far?) hehe.. well, that's just how i see it.

then comes the inevitable, the bed scene.. now, that was not planned nor money was ever involved.. LSJ invited jaemin to have dinner with her.. maybe because of that encounter with YJ or because she's finally decided to take their relationship a notch higher? (challenged by YJ?) or both?.. anyway, they finally end up in the apartment for a little chitchat and when IW called and asked her to leave the apartment right away, she was willing to leave.. she tried to leave not once, but twice. but jaemin's persistence got to her.. and i dont think she would have succumbed if she doesnt love jaemin.. i think that thing happened with the element of love in it..

with those said, i dont really think of her as lowly. POOR, yes.. but lowly, as in CHEAP? no way!

x_XJules
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by x_XJules » Sep 30th, '05, 09:46

wow... what an ending.

I was totally rooting for jae-min the whole time, but i seriously expected Soo Jung to pick in-wook.

I jumped when i saw the first shot go off. i was thinking, "Oh god!! what an ending!!" and then the second shot went off, and i swear i jumped even higher. i can't believe it.. wow..

i thought the middle was dragged on a little, but it's totally worth an ending like that.

again, wow.

x_XJules
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by x_XJules » Sep 30th, '05, 09:50

does anyone know if any of Jo In-sung's other dramas are any good? i kinda fell in love with him during this series.

NatNat

Post by NatNat » Sep 30th, '05, 22:21

x_XJules wrote:does anyone know if any of Jo In-sung's other dramas are any good? i kinda fell in love with him during this series.
i haven't seen any of his other drama series but he sure was sexy in The Classic.

*swoon*

kimmie_ai_ni4

Post by kimmie_ai_ni4 » Oct 1st, '05, 02:09

omg i was soo shocked in da end......... i was lyk OMFG!! but it was very good... knda draggin but in da end its very good........ dats all i can say

jinx23

Post by jinx23 » Oct 1st, '05, 03:27

Dahee, I really enjoyed reading your post!. So far, I agree with your thoughts the most, well written!

I just want to add my perception of this controversial drama. (I'll try to keep it short)

Lee Soo jung - I liked her in the beginning- she was basically a poor girl yearning to marry a rich man to free her of all her financial troubles but at the same time she was falling for a poor prince charming- Kang In Wook and hassled by a rich & intimidating man- Jaemin. I really felt during the first half, she really didn't have any real feelings for Jaemin - I felt she was only being with him out of gratefulness and was intimidated by him- it seemed she felt guilty everytime Jaemin caught her being with Inwook! Which explains why she didn't pursue the kiss her & Inwook shared in Inwook's bed before getting interrupted by an angry Jaemin. i think she really wanted to be with Inwook as she was very happy with him and sad without him. ( the same song sung by a lady keeps playing in the background of their moments together. I love that song! :) )

But her feelings soon changed. While she was only "planning" to be with Jaemin to get back at Young joo, she was already falling for him. Probably due to Jaemin's persistance and the amount of love he gave her. That was ok, you can't blame someone for falling in love. What i didn't like was how she handled it. She was obviously in denial. She couldn't face the fact that she loved him because she had too much pride (ironic as it is!). Yes I believed this is when she started to have some pride. When she realised she loved Jaemin, ( i think around the time when she left for their secret apartment) she refused any money he offered. She even told him that the only reason why she didn't give him her heart was because of her pride. But the confusing thing is she was also thinking about Inwook when she stayed in this apartment. I thought that there may be a chance that she did love Inwook more afterall but i realised those thoughts were more motivational, comforting and advices he had given her. This is when i realised she was starting to see In wook as a friend- someone who she can look up to, and Jaemin as the love she can never have- which also explains her sad and painful actions right after sleeping with Jaemin. The reason why i dislike Soo jung here is that she used In wook to let her believe she doesn't love Jaemin & that she really wanted to be with Inwook. I felt it was unfair to Inwook as he truly loved and cared for her. Inwook knew it aswell and was hoping she would change her heart & forget about Jaemin once they leave for bali. He and I both noticed that she was always looking sadly for someone at the airport before she left. So I wasn't surprised at all when she said she really loved Jaemin. It was obvious Inwook wasn't either- after all he is an intelligent man and through his love & care for Soo jung, knows how she feels.
The funny thing is, while Soo jung was falling out of love with Inwook, Young Joo was falling more in love than ever with Inwook. She finally realised, after marrying Jaemin, that she really loved IW- and i believed if In wook took her back, she would give up everything for him. The sad thing is, she already broke his heart (inwook truly loved her which explains his dark, richpeople- hating nature) and he fell in love with someone else. I really felt sorry for her.

Overall, I prefer Inwook over Jaemin. I felt Jaemin was too demanding and selfish- he wants both the wealth and his love- I guess he was used to getting what he wants whereas In wook was used to NOT getting what he wants. Which explains IW's weak nature in pursuing Soo jung. Jaemin was selfish in a way that if he cannot have Soo jung then noone else can yet he couldn't offer her marriage. Just the thought of her being in bed with Inwook was enough to drive him insane- its no wonder he shot them when he actually saw it!! I do however like Jaemin's love and persistance for Soo jung more than In wook- in the end he realised he will give up everything to be with her but it was too late...if he had only given everything before he got married and elope with Soo jung, I would probablyI like him more....but Inwook was definitely the character I like the most & SJS portrayed him well!! In fact- all four of them did an excellent job in portraying their roles, esp Jo in sung!

Ok, sorry I got carried away! This is the first time I posted my feelings on this & I'm sure everyone has their own views & favourite characters. This was just mine. :)

athrunjustice

Post by athrunjustice » Oct 8th, '05, 15:40

OK I just started watchin the first few eps of this series, and damn it now im freakn addicted to it, and i got exams next week and I need my quick fix of this drama series or i have to set my priorities straight. Kdrama or study for exams......

Hey i thought the main guy would stink in this series like in that doctor series but i think i better pull out that series and rewatch it, dude is good actor imo

Wwaldo37

Post by Wwaldo37 » Oct 9th, '05, 20:37

athrunjustice if you just started watching WHIB WTF are you doing reading this spoiler fourm!?!

jinx23 well said.

JadedAngel

Post by JadedAngel » Oct 9th, '05, 21:28

jinx23 wrote:What i didn't like was how she handled it. She was obviously in denial. She couldn't face the fact that she loved him because she had too much pride (ironic as it is!). Yes I believed this is when she started to have some pride. When she realised she loved Jaemin, ( i think around the time when she left for their secret apartment) she refused any money he offered. She even told him that the only reason why she didn't give him her heart was because of her pride. But the confusing thing is she was also thinking about Inwook when she stayed in this apartment. I thought that there may be a chance that she did love Inwook more afterall but i realised those thoughts were more motivational, comforting and advices he had given her. This is when i realised she was starting to see In wook as a friend- someone who she can look up to, and Jaemin as the love she can never have- which also explains her sad and painful actions right after sleeping with Jaemin. The reason why i dislike Soo jung here is that she used In wook to let her believe she doesn't love Jaemin & that she really wanted to be with Inwook. I felt it was unfair to Inwook as he truly loved and cared for her. Inwook knew it aswell and was hoping she would change her heart & forget about Jaemin once they leave for bali. He and I both noticed that she was always looking sadly for someone at the airport before she left. So I wasn't surprised at all when she said she really loved Jaemin. It was obvious Inwook wasn't either- after all he is an intelligent man and through his love & care for Soo jung, knows how she feels.
SJ tried to close her heart to Jae-min because she knew there was no future in it. He couldn't marry her or anything, which they all knew, so why let herself love him when it would only lead to heartbreak? Besides, her pride wouldn't let her fall for a man who was paying for every bit of time spent with her. And I don't think that it was confusing that she was thinking of Inwook at the same time. A part of her really wanted to be with him, as he was safer, they were from the same background, and he was free to love her. Kind of like she was trying to force herslef to love him, but couldn't which is why she pulled back from him so much. NAd yes, it was a bit unfair to Inwook, but its not like he didn't know. As you said, he realized from the start that her heart wasn't fully for him.

athrunjustice

Post by athrunjustice » Oct 10th, '05, 02:50

Wwaldo37 wrote:athrunjustice if you just started watching WHIB WTF are you doing reading this spoiler fourm!?!

jinx23 well said.
Gets me more interested whats goin to happen and i cant wait to watch it, plus that main dude jae-min( dunno his real name) but his style of clothes is awesome, i mite start goin out buyin sum stuff.

wingsee26

download this drama??

Post by wingsee26 » Nov 29th, '05, 00:59

hey guy, can anybody tell me where I can go and download this drama or find all the episodes posting for this drama?? thanks

ha0000

Why nobody mentions Young-joo?

Post by ha0000 » Nov 29th, '05, 03:29

Hi everybody,
I just watch WHIB since last week. Becoz the download speed is slow so I don't get to have episodes continously to watch.
But to say, it hooked me. I lose sleep over it. And I am still on episode 7 only ! Something about it keeps me going and I wasn't a Kddrama fan before. Even my husband enjoy watch it. ( and he is British !).
I like the series in the general but the character I like most is Yong-joo and it seems like she won't be the main character in upcoming episodes. That's the reason why I am here. Looking at the spoiler to know what will happen to her.
So far, she is in a difficult position when she loves KIW and being refused by him. Yet to protect him(the mother-in-law threats her to make him disappear), she has to go on to a marriage with sb she doesn't love and not even love her also !
I don't know what will happen in the end with her. But there is reason for her to become bad. Why didn't KIW accept her when she broke of the marriage?
And she looks good on bikini in Bali though !
Now I am hesiste to watch WHIB more, coz I am not interested in Lee Soo Y. Why always the poor girl is the winner?

aly8887

Re: download this drama??

Post by aly8887 » Nov 29th, '05, 14:33

wingsee26 wrote:hey guy, can anybody tell me where I can go and download this drama or find all the episodes posting for this drama?? thanks
yes, you can find it at http://www.d-addicts.com/forum/torrents ... +all&sort=

I just finished this drama myself and completely loved it... :D good luck with downloading it though...it took almost a whole 3 weeks for me to download this... I think you can ask for seeds in the reseed form...

ebony

Post by ebony » Nov 29th, '05, 14:36

i watched this a couple of weeks ago and it was really different to what i had seen before and the ending was something not even i could have seen coming, i didn't like it as much as some of the other dramas i had watched. I still found it really interesting to watch and enjoyed it as it had a completly different storyline than any other drama that i have seen so far.

pe3kabo0

Post by pe3kabo0 » Nov 30th, '05, 19:32

i was SO shocked when he killed Soo-Jung.. i thought they could have been so cute together if he just showed his love for her.. and then he killed himself.. :( my poor In-Sung

daalig

Post by daalig » Dec 2nd, '05, 14:16

I just finished this series just then. Loved every minute of it. Finally a series that kept a high standard all the way through, and had a end as awesome as the rest of the series.

Though...I haven't read the whole thread, but I wonder what would happen to poor old Cho Sang-Bae. His character really stood out in the series, and I just loved every minute of his screentime. With the company going down, as it seems, he'll be homeless again. :cry: Now that's a sad ending! :lol

He needs a series of his own!

fatr

Post by fatr » Dec 23rd, '05, 09:36

this was my first kdrama, and i must say, it is one of the best work of media i have ever had the priviliege of watching. the production is just SO stylish, and the actors and the story had me hooked for 3 days straight. the plot twists were stupendous, with the character relationships set up so that none of the main four were ever truly happy and worry-free. the actor who played jae-min was easily the best onscreen presence, displaying the best range of any of the actors in this series. kang in-wook was a little too stone-faced for me (i kknow his character is supposed to be that way, but the dude's acting style is just too dry). lee soo-jung did a pretty good job as the poor miser, but i thought there was excessive crying on her part (ive never seen someone cry over a dropped phone). young-joo was great as the cold, bitchy bride-to-be. i felt sorry for her.

as for the ending: the first half of this show was more like a romantic comedy, but it just grew darker from there. even though i knew something bad would happen in the last episode, i never would have guessed that jae-min would go loco and kill everyone (including himself). i'm still haunted by the last scene, especially soo-jung's "i love you." this is by far my favorite drama series EVER.

nonknee

Post by nonknee » Mar 18th, '06, 14:53

Huahahahaha... daalig's comment about Cho Sang-Bae sure does make me laugh! Nice one :thumright:
Anyway, I just finished watching WHIB yesterday. Watched it for 2 days with a small amount of sleeping since I was too curious about how it gonna end.
However, since I accidentally read some spoilers about it, I knew that something awful is going to happen in the end. But I didn't expect it to be that horrible...

At first I thought maybe Jae-min will try to persuade Soo-jung to return to Korea with him instead of being with In-wook. But I changed my thought when he saw Soo-jung and In-wook were together by the swimming pool. That view definitely made him jealous.
Then, I saw this Balinese guy following Jae-min when he walked around with no conscience. I suspected maybe he'd rob him and then kill him :lol But then, when Jae-min gave him quite a lot of money in Indonesian Rupiah, I was thinking that he'd asked the guy to harm or kill In-wook silently instead of doing it himself hehehe.

I never imagine that he would come up in that room himself + holding a gun *so maybe he paid the guy to get that gun and/or help him to enter the hotel room quietly?!?! :unsure:* and then shot both Soo-jung and In-wook. I was shocked since I was still hoping for a happy ending :pale: And then Jae-min killed himself... NO!!!! I don't want him to die because I was hooked with him from the very beginning I watch WHIB... *but u guys are right about his crying... too loud and I was annoyed by his -little boy- crying face*

Until now, my mind is still attached to the shocking ending... I just felt that it was too bizarre... But anyway, the real Jo In-sung is still alive hahahaha.. that makes me feel a bit better :P

nobita35

Great Drama

Post by nobita35 » Apr 10th, '06, 02:06

I've never watched any drama before and I watched this drama simply because of Ha Ji Won. I'm a big fan of hers. I downloaded about 4 episodes from this site but the speed was too slow, and I simply couldn't wait to find out what happened next, so I went out and bought the whole boxset! :D I have to say it was worth every penny though! :-)

Although quite a few people didn't like the ending, I thought it was very realistic and appropriate. For Soo Jung, being with either men would mean trouble. In Wook was by the end a criminal and being with him would mean a lifetime of running from the law. On the other being with Jae Min would mean a life time of running away from his dad. What Soo Jung wanted in her life, after a life full of misery, was happiness and even though she didn't ask for it, I guess death gave her the way out of her misery.

jpoplover08

Post by jpoplover08 » May 31st, '06, 21:36

Does anyone know of a website i could go to so that i can watch this drama? I REALLY REALLY WANT TO WATCH IT! But i dont have much space on my computer to download all the episodes so maybe there's a website i could watch it without having to download it? Besides Youtube, cuz noone on youtube has this drama uploaded... THANKS IN ADVANCE!

khristine

Post by khristine » Jun 7th, '06, 05:26

jpoplover08 wrote:Does anyone know of a website i could go to so that i can watch this drama? I REALLY REALLY WANT TO WATCH IT! But i dont have much space on my computer to download all the episodes so maybe there's a website i could watch it without having to download it? Besides Youtube, cuz noone on youtube has this drama uploaded... THANKS IN ADVANCE!
it's on youtube!! :cheers:

dokbupgi

Post by dokbupgi » Jul 25th, '06, 08:17

what a dilemma! i really felt the difficulty for soo jung in deciding which guy to choose. no wonder she went back and forth like that. of course personally i'd prefer SJS :p but judging from the characters, 1 of them is rich but weak, the other is sturdy more reliable but not so rich. i wont say in wook is poor as although he's from poor background, he's smart and he's potential. whereas jae min tho he's rich, the wealth is from his family, judging from his character giving him all the wealth he may still lose it in one go. so actually if soo jung's feeling for both are the same, it's still quite obvious to choose in wook :)

dokbupgi

Post by dokbupgi » Jul 25th, '06, 08:24

and poor yin joo. tho her character is far far from likable, she's the most pathetic even she's the only who got to live on. i thot she should be the one who go and shoot soo jung down! i can never imagine how's the feeling when some1 i love changed to love another girl, and i'm forced by circumstances to marry another guy, and yet this guy also loves that same girl! omg think i may commit suicide... :p