Only if you have time (2)
10%
STAY AWAY (1)
No votes

Total votes: 99

Phoenix

[Discussion] Long Love Letter

Post by Phoenix » May 31st, '05, 12:59

I've started uploading the Japanese dorama Long Love Letter. For those of us who have trouble with the language and following the plot, I thought it'd be good to have a discussion thread.

Note: there will be spoilers in this thread. Do not read on if you want to avoid spoilers about the plot!!!

*poll added by xiaryx.

Phoenix

Post by Phoenix » May 31st, '05, 13:18

First puzzle: What's the past relationship between Misaki Yuka and Asami Akio? How did they meet and then drift apart?

keikotl

Post by keikotl » Jun 1st, '05, 02:50

Phoenix wrote:First puzzle: What's the past relationship between Misaki Yuka and Asami Akio? How did they meet and then drift apart?
Can I answer? :unsure:
Well, Misaki Yuka and Asami Akio are mere acquiantance in the past. They met at a bookstore and both of them sort of was interested in the same book and I think they didn't want to let either one have it because it was the last copy in the bookstore. (I'm not really sure as I watched it on chinese subs). Then after the incident, they went to have a drink and talked about anything. They exchanged phone numbers and Asami Akio was already attracted to Misaki Yuka.
Unfortunately Asami got tricked by an elder lady and she stole his briefcase + cellphone, which has Misaki's phone number on it. Asami was helpless in trying to remember the her phone number, therefore, no contact was made between the two from that night on. And just like that, a year has past...

Phoenix

Post by Phoenix » Jun 1st, '05, 03:29

keikotl wrote:[Unfortunately Asami got tricked by an elder lady and she stole his briefcase + cellphone, which has Misaki's phone number on it. Asami was helpless in trying to remember the her phone number, therefore, no contact was made between the two from that night on. And just like that, a year has past...
Thank you for that explanation! I didn't get that, so I didn't know why they had stopped seeing each other.

Anyone else have a question?

keikotl

Post by keikotl » Jun 1st, '05, 04:40

I actually want to know: Does Otomo Tadashi like the girl with the slight disability on her leg?

awrittensin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by awrittensin » Jun 1st, '05, 06:17

Can anyone explain exactly what Akio was talking about when he was writing all that stuff on the chalkboard toward the beginning of the episode? I don't do math in English, but especially not in Japanese :glare:
I understand that he was saying that time flows straight, and seize the day and all that crap, but I didn't get the whole xyz thing. I got that one kid was like "Why do they call it 'z' anyway? Why don't they just call it '?' or '!'" That was funny.

I'm in the middle of the episode, so I'll probably post later, but I just wanted to get that down before I forgot
:-)

ETA: The female teacher, and her voice are REALLY F$CKING ANNOYING!

tianj

timed subs posted

Post by tianj » Jun 1st, '05, 10:29

If someone is interested in subbing Long Love Letter, the following file is the timed smi files for all the episodes(originally in Korean), so Korean or Japanese subber can do this job. I don't know if it'll synch, so someone can test it out. FYI, Vobsub can be use(subresynch) to convert from smi to srt or ssa:

http://s49.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=3NUA ... PV72PMH2MG

marit
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by marit » Jun 1st, '05, 18:30

just finished watching the first episode and I have the same question that awrittensin had. what did he talk about the xyz thingy? my wild quess is that he talked about parallel worlds.
he deffinately talked about time, right?

I hope someone can help. I mean if he really talked about parallel worlds or time travel or what ever I would love to know so that I might understand the dorama better :P

btw Phoenix, thank you for uploading this dorama, I`m already in love with it :wub:

awrittensin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by awrittensin » Jun 1st, '05, 18:48

just finished watching the first episode and I have the same question that awrittensin had. what did he talk about the xyz thingy? my wild quess is that he talked about parallel worlds.
he deffinately talked about time, right?
Yeah, he was definitely talking about time, because he was talking about how time flows straight, and he kept saying "ima wo ikirou" which is like, "live in the moment."
When he kissed that one guy, he said basically "You can never tell what's going to happen in your life. But now that I've kissed you it's part of your past, but you can control what happens right now, so live in the moment."

If I wanted to I could watch the xyz thingie over again and try to translate it but I think my brain might explode. :blink

Hey Phoenix, this was a DVD rip, right? Do you have the actual DVDs? I wonder if the DVDs have Japanese subtitles that we could rip. I'm a visual person, so I do a lot better translating when I can see it in front of me than if I'm just listening to it.
I actually want to know: Does Otomo Tadashi like the girl with the slight disability on her leg?
Who has a disability on her leg? I didn't notice anyone that was having trouble walking, but maybe I wasn't paying attention too much.

dramama

Post by dramama » Jun 1st, '05, 20:47

I've got the series with English subs(tv cap), problem with a couple of epis tho. I'm a non-techie. The least I could do is provide screencaps of the working subbed epis I've got. Screencap epi2, I've got it handy, and can email it to anyone interested in making the subs. Zip file size 7.93mb. thanks

Phoenix

Post by Phoenix » Jun 2nd, '05, 04:14

awrittensin wrote:Hey Phoenix, this was a DVD rip, right? Do you have the actual DVDs? I wonder if the DVDs have Japanese subtitles that we could rip.
Yes, I have the original Japanese DVD box set, but unfortunately, there are no subtitles at all. :-(
awrittensin wrote:Who has a disability on her leg? I didn't notice anyone that was having trouble walking, but maybe I wasn't paying attention too much.
Hah! That's a spoiler! I think that's in episode 3!
dramama wrote:I've got the series with English subs(tv cap), problem with a couple of epis tho. I'm a non-techie. The least I could do is provide screencaps of the working subbed epis I've got. Screencap epi2, I've got it handy, and can email it to anyone interested in making the subs. Zip file size 7.93mb. thanks
dramama - English subs? That's great! Though I don't quite understand what you have. Are screencaps like screenprints? And almost 8 MB for 1 episode? :scratch:

dramama

Post by dramama » Jun 2nd, '05, 04:21

..I used BSplayer to capture the screenprint. The jpgs can be grouped into smaller zip files

Phoenix

Post by Phoenix » Jun 2nd, '05, 05:52

dramama wrote:..I used BSplayer to capture the screenprint. The jpgs can be grouped into smaller zip files
Good news! dramama sent me the screencaps for episode 2. I'm going to try to get a srt file together from them. :dance:
Last edited by Phoenix on Jun 2nd, '05, 11:56, edited 1 time in total.

marit
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by marit » Jun 2nd, '05, 06:35

omg, thats really good news. thank you dramama and Phoenix, thank you :-)

cytryna

Post by cytryna » Jun 3rd, '05, 17:45

hey.. thanks for these series
I'm big Kubozuka's fan so it's great to have it..
I've just finished watching first episode and can't wait to see next one :w00t:

wow.. the ending of first episode was really surprising :-)

takkichi

Post by takkichi » Jun 3rd, '05, 18:10

yes thanks for sharing this drama. I'm glad you started this thread.... I'm not able to understand Japanese so it made it a bit difficult to follow what was happening in this drama. This is an interesting drama to say the least. I'm glad we can post questions here. I hope you will be able to get the English subs to work.

awrittensin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by awrittensin » Jun 3rd, '05, 20:17

Until we can get the subtitle thing figured out, I'm going to post a summary of episode 2. Feel free to fill in things I leave out, or correct them. I'm not looking any of this stuff up, I'm just going off what I hear, so I might mis-hear some things. Here we go.

The episode begins with a flashback from the first time Asami and Misaki met. Asami tells Misaki that when he was a child, there was a hole in the wall of his daycare. It was really mysterious, and he always wondered where the hole led, or what it was connected to. He tried to find out by probing it with a colored pencil, and one day the colored pencil fell through the hole. He really loved the colored pencil and was upset, thinking he'd never see it again. He was so upset, he put tape on the end of something and tried to stick it through the hole to pick up the pencil, but it didn't work. Misaki says, "Did you cry?" and Asami says "Of course I cried, I lost it."

Flashback to right before the earthquake happens, January 7, 2002; 11:13 a.m.

Takamatsu (the boy in the red coat) walks back to the classroom where the other students have gathered. He talks to the other two boys and asks if they want anything from the convenience store. Takamatsu tries to call the Shinji and Kaoru (who he was just with that went to the convenience store), but as he's about to dial her number, another boy screams and runs out of the room. Takamatsu begins to call again when Otomo says "Wait a minute... do you feel that shaking?" and points to the chalkboard, where the chalk has begun to rattle in the tray.

Scene change to Asami and Misaki.
Asami: So...
Misaki: I tried to call you, you know. I called your cell phone that night. One more-
as she speaks, the earth shakes and they fall to the ground.

Back in the classroom, Otomo says "Is it over?" and the kids talk about the earthquake. Takamatsu tries his cellphone again and discovers there is no signal.

Back to Asami and Misaki.
Misaki: What an earthquake...!
She realizes she's pretty close to Asami (practically hugging) and gets up, saying "Excuse me."
Asami: I don't care, you could get closer if you want.
Misaki: What are you talking about? Well, see you later then.
Asami grabs her jacket and Misaki says "Why are you holding on to me?"
Asami: I just suddenly did it.
Misaki: Let go.
Asami: I really want to talk right now.
Misaki: Like I told you before, I promised to meet someone after this. And now that there was an earthquake, they'll be worried.
Asami: But I want to talk NOW. Is the person you promised to meet a guy?
Misaki glances past the school's gate. "What? Yeah, a guy."
Misaki: I have something to tell him.
Asami: To that guy?
Misaki: (nods) Yeah. That he's not a terrible student. That I'm glad I was his teacher.
Asami: You did it with a student?
Misaki: HUH?
Asami: Well because this sounds weird! This relationship sounds weird!
Misaki: Unlike you, it's impossible for me to feel romantic feelings toward a student. Wait, are you jealous?
Asami: Yeah, I admit it.
He begins to talk more but Misaki isn't listening. She's staring out the school gate again.
Asami: Are you listening?
Misaki: Sorry, I'm not listening.
They both walk towards the school gate and see that they are completely surrounded by barren earth.
Misaki: What... is this?
Opening credits roll.

Back to Kaoru and Shinji, on the other side of the school. Shinji says "Our school...." and Kaoru says, "Takamatsu..."

Emergency personnel come and try to restrain the crowd from seeing the huge gaping hole where the school used to be. Parents of the children still inside gather, and one mother screams, "Shinji, Shinji!" but Shinji says "Mom, I'm here!" and she runs over to him. Otomo's mother grabs Shinji and says "Where is Tadashi? Where is he?" but of course he's still inside. She turns her head and sees the hole where the school used to be and is hysterically, screaming "TADASHI!"

Back to Asami and Misaki. The other teachers run up to them and can't believe what they're seeing. Another student sees things and freaks out. The gym teacher slaps him and said "You can't!" Misaki says, "Where are we?" and the other teacher says "Why is Misaki-sensei here?" and she says "I'm not sure, either..."

Back to the students, where they're discussing where to take their next trip while looking at the magazines. Takamatsu doesn't understand why he can't get a signal. Another boy can't get a signal either, and says "Maybe the tower fell in the earthquake just now." The boy who freaked out outside comes running and and says "Outside... outside!!!" and the kids say "What happened outside? A tsunami?" and the girls say "Who are you, again?" the Freak-out boy, well, freaks out again. Asami comes in the class and says "I don't want any of you to leave this classroom. " Of course they don't listen and leave the classroom to look out the window. One girl says "look out there!" and Freak-Out boy says "It's not just there. It's everywhere. Everything completely surrounding our school has disappeared."

Asami and Misaki run up to the roof to see if they can see anything else, but as far as you can see, everything has disappeared.
Misaki: Nothing. Buildings.. everything's gone! Where is everyone?
The rest of the students run up to the roof and everyone freaks out. "Where is everything? Where is everyone?" "It's a dream, isn't it?" "Mom, Dad, where are you?"
Misaki: We don't know anything yet. We don't know what's beyond this sand, or where everyone has gone. We don't know anything, so calm down, okay?
Takamatsu runs downstairs.

In the teacher's office, they try the electricity, phones and radio, but they get absolutely nothing. They say without the news they won't know anything.

Outside the school, Otomo and the boy who pulled the hood over his head at the beginning and ran out right before the earthquake are talking. HoodBoy says "Ever since I entered the school this morning, I've had the chills. I had a bad feeling." and Otomo says "Maybe you have ESP." Takamatsu runs out into the sand and imagines seeing Kaoru walk away. A teacher comes out and says "What are you doing out here? Gather in the gym!" Otomo says "Yeah, gather and then what?" Teacher says "Listen to me and come gather in the gym!" Crazy Annoying Teacher is in the bathroom and says "Otomo, now no one can interfere with my plans to get you!!" or something along those lines.

I'll split up these posts since they're so long.
Last edited by awrittensin on Jun 3rd, '05, 21:12, edited 1 time in total.

awrittensin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by awrittensin » Jun 3rd, '05, 21:09

The students gather in the gym, and the girls cry for their parents. The teachers talk in lowered voices, wondering what is the cause of all of this. A teacher says "The only fact we know is that there was an earthquake, and there are no buildings or cars or anything out there."They wonder if there was a nuclear attack on Japan, but Asami says "Why is just the school left, then?" and someone else says "If so, then it might be dangerous outside!!" Another teacher: "In any case, all we know is that we're the only ones left (alive)."

A boy walks up to them and says "What does that mean? Does that mean.... everyone else is dead? Answer me!" and the kids start to freak out again.

FreakOutBoy walks up to a teacher and says "Sensei, what's going to happen to my entrance exams?" The teacher laughs bitterly and says "Entrance exams?" as in, "every last person on earth except us might be dead and you're worried about ENTRANCE EXAMS?"

Asami and Misaki are in the library, and then he brings something out in a jar, and I think he says it's supposed to detect something, then he says it didn't detect anything. I don't know what he was talking about though.

Back in the gym, the students talk and say "Maybe if we burn something people will see the smoke from far away and maybe an airplane will come rescue us..." and another says "I don't think it will." but a girl says "All we can do is wait here. Someone will rescue us for sure." but another girl says "What will we do about food?" The students wonder if everyone else is dead. Takamatsu says "They're alive. Surely, somewhere, they're alive." and Otomo says "Why don't you face reality? You saw outside, didn't you? Everyone's dead. Nobody's left alive." and he and Takamatsu get into an argument.

CrazyAnnoyingTeacher corners Otomo and tries to give him food "Don't tell the other students, okay?" but he says "I dont want it!" and tells her to leave him the hell alone. She runs off. A girl is typing on her laptop and Otomo says "What are you doing?"

Misaki and Asami are on the roof, and they burn some things to create a signal. Asami says "Please, someone see this smoke..." Misaki says "The only thing we know is that we're alive." The two of them lament over things they forgot to do this morning before they left. Asami says "I'm sooo hungry..." which makes Misaki remember her promise to her student, the sushi guy. Flashback to Sushi guy saying "I'll wait for you at lunch, around 1pm. I'll be waiting for you."
Then Misaki says "I'm going to see what's out there."
Asami: "Where?"
Misaki: "I told you, I promised someone to meet them!"
Asami: "Where the hell is he out there?"
Misaki: "I don't know, but he's waiting for me!"
Flashback to Sushi guy telling Misaki he works at a sushi shop, and says he wants her to eat some. They make a deal that if she thinks it's delicious, then she'll forgive him.
Misaki: I want to see him. I have something to tell him.

The students left school and are all walking in the sand. Asami tries to stop them, but the students won't listen. They want to see what's out there for themselves. Takamatsu asks where Otomo is, and a girl answers "He's sleeping in the classroom." Another girl points and says, "What's that?" LaptopGirl shows up and says "It's an eclipse." (I think that's what she said anyway.) All the students freak out and start running in opposite directions. Misaki says "Just let them go. It might be dangerous, but they're going to need to see that there's nothing out there for themselves. They're not children, after all. They'll come back when they've convinced themselves. And I think until the students return, you should wait there. (points to the school)" Misaki leaves as well.

Asami stands at the school's gate and narrates, "Just as Misaki said, one by one, the students returned, exhausted. All I could do was wait in front of the gate like a fool, but compared to everything I'd done for them in the past, I knew that that's what they needed the most. They needed me. They didn't find out anything. They didn't find anything. And Misaki was the only one who did not return."

Asami talks to a student on the steps and she says "We were together until partway up. It was getting difficult to walk, and she told us to go back. She said someone would surely see our signal fire. She said 'I have somewhere I need to go.'"

Asami decides to go look for her, and tells a female student to take care of the others.

Misaki has been dropping colored chalk to mark her path. She soon runs out of chalk, so she drops one of her shoes.

SushiBoy waits in the park for Misaki and she remembers what he told her about working in a sushi shop. She remembers their promise about forgiving him. "Are you stupid? Of course I'll forgive you!" as she struggles up a hill. Standing on top of the hill, all she can see is barren earth. "I don't understand..." "Where are you? Where are you?" SushiBoy stuffs his face with his own sushi and bawls. Misaki starts crying, too. SushiBoy leaves the park.

Asami approaches Misaki, carrying her shoe.
Misaki: I've always regretted how I quit teaching. So I was happy when I heard he was giving it his all. I wanted to laugh with him again and tell him I've forgiven him. I've forgiven him. I wanted to see him and tell him that! Why did things have to end up like this? It's too cruel!

Back in the classroom, the students discuss how they didn't find anything. One of the older guys rush in and says "There's something out there!" and they all pile up in his car (Where'd that come from?) and go look. When they were talking about when to take their next school trip, they discussed how to get there, and they were talking about some bullet train. The magazine they were looking at discussed a bullet train that was to be built in the future (I think) but Otomo remembers that conversation, and they were discussing what they might name it, and he kicks the thing and there's a scrolling display that says "Noriko #12."

Laptop girl is screwing with some display in the car, and she gets a signal. It says "Year 2020" briefly before it flashes off again.

Asami narrates something, talking about how we're like sand... I don't know, I didn't catch all of it. Then he asks Misaki where she's going, and she says she's returning to the school. He says next time she makes a face like she's going to cry he'll kiss her.

Ending credits roll.

Phoenix

Post by Phoenix » Jun 4th, '05, 04:04

awrittensin - "WOW!" That's a great job of a "summary" for episode 2. :salut: I will be working this weekend at putting the English subs I received from dramama into the timed (Korean) file I got from tianj (for episode 2). Great collaborative effort! :D If anyone wants to volunteer to check the result before I release it, let me know...

awrittensin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by awrittensin » Jun 4th, '05, 04:09

Phoenix: I'd be glad to check it... I can correct translation mistakes for you if I see any, also if you'd like. :-) PM me if that's ok and I'll give you my email address.[/b]

takkichi

Post by takkichi » Jun 4th, '05, 08:03

Wow is right... thank you so much for translating episode 2 awrittensin.

marit
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by marit » Jun 4th, '05, 14:14

whaaaa, sugoi! :w00t:
awrittensin, you are the greatest!
that was really helpfull!!

Phoenix

Post by Phoenix » Jun 25th, '05, 13:50

Subtitiles for episode 1 are now available: http://www.d-addicts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=18970

Though incomplete (about 10% of the lines are untranslated), they should add a lot to non-Japanese speaking viewers' comprehension. The DVD version I have had a few extra scenes compared to the VHS rip that the English subs came from. I couldn't translate those scenes, so if anyone can help, please reply and we'll put out a corrected version! Thanks to Dramama for transcribing the English subs and to tianj for the timed Korean subs file. :-)

cytryna

Post by cytryna » Aug 5th, '05, 14:15

I've just finished watching 5th episode.. the story is getting more and more complicated :w00t: and I have 2 questions:

1. in gym Asami was telling Misaki story about some pilot (?).. I'm not sure if it was important for plot but I would be thankful if someone could tell me about it

2. these "desert people" (as I call them).. the one who escaped as last one had a short talk with one of the students.. anyone have an idea what were they talking about? :blink

Phoenix

Post by Phoenix » Aug 5th, '05, 17:12

This is a short question: What language were the "desert people" (I like cytryna's name for them) talking and how did the one girl know that language?

P.S. There's now a poll on this thread. See above. (Thanks xiaryx!)

cytryna

Post by cytryna » Aug 13th, '05, 00:21

I'm not sure but the language sounded like Korean mixed with Chinese :blink

awrittensin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Long Love Letter Episode 3 Summary

Post by awrittensin » Aug 17th, '05, 06:21

I've finally got the time to catch up on the Long Love Letter episodes, so I'm going to post summaries for them like I did before. Please feel free to add to them or to correct them, because as I said before, there will be chunks that I won't understand since I'm just watching the episodes without looking up everything line by line as you normally would fansubbing. But hopefully my summaries will shed some light on things.

Long Love Letter, episode 3 Summary:

The episode begins with the reporter saying she is reporting from Yokohama, where the school has disappeared. Nobody is sure how many people were inside, or what their whereabouts are.

Asami and Misaki are walking in the desert. Misaki kicks Asami. "Ow." He says. They walk back up to the school.

Misaki: "You aren't worried about me, right?"
Asami: "Huh?"
Misaki: "Because you don't have to worry about me, you know."
Asami: "What?"

Takamatsu, Otomo and Laptop Girl run towards them. "Asami!" one of them calls out.

"What's wrong?" Asami says.
"We have a theory we want to ask your opinion on, Sensei." Laptop girl says.
"Theory?" Asami answers.
"Yeah. We think- well, we're not for sure, but we think we might be in the fu-" Otomo is interrupted by two guys in karate uniforms and a snotty-looking girl.

"Don't go home yet!" one of the guys says.
"I'm going home," answers the girl.
Guy #2: "But he has something he wants to say to you!"
Guy #1: "It's okay, nevermind..."
Girl: "Just leave me alone."
Guy #2: "What do you mean? Do you have another guy you like?"
Girl: "Yeah, I do. But even if I didn't, I'd rather die than go out with either of you."

She says goodbye to the teachers, arrives at the entrance and passes out. The two boys rush after her to see what's wrong and see the school's surroundings for themselves.

Misaki: "So there were still students here who didn't know what was going on..."
Misaki: "And so our first night there came."

The students are trying to sleep in a room together, and talk amongst themselves in the darkness.
Girl: "I'm so scared! I'm so scared, I'm scared! I can't stand it!!"
Girl: "Shut up! I can't sleep."
Guy: "It's so weird... at night when there's no lights, it's just pitch black..."
Girl: "I'm so hungry..."
Girl: "I'm too scared to sleep."
Fat boy: "I'm too hungry to sleep!!"
Girl: "Will everyone stop saying such selfish things? This isn't a school trip, you know!"
Guy: "Hey, maybe this is a dream! When we all wake up tomorrow, things will be back to normal!"
They all hope that's the case.

Fat boy wanders out of the room, saying how hungry he is, and sees the crazy annoying female teacher running down the hall, pushing a cart loaded w/ food, singing "LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA!"

The teachers are all in the teacher's room talking. The smart boy is there as well. He complains that he can't study for the entrance exams without electricity. Asami enters and tells the teachers that it seems the students have discovered a bullet train. "Were there people in it?" they ask him.

Asami: "No... because it seems to be a bullet train that hasn't even been developed yet. Which means, this school..."
Head teacher: "What are you talking about? I don't understand. Don't listen to the students." He laughs crazily.
Misaki: "I think it's better to listen to and help the students rather than sit here like you and do nothing."
Smart boy: "Why is 'Mash' here?"
Teacher: "It's your fault, isn't it! It's because you held a grudge against this school that this happened!"

Asami and Misaki go to the top of the school.
Misaki: "What the hell are they talking about? How in the world could this be my fault?"
Asami: "It's because they're scared. When people feel uneasy or scared, they make others the scapegoat to make themselves feel better. It's human nature."
Misaki: "So you're saying they're making me the scapegoat?"
Asami: "Don't worry, I'll protect you."
They hear a buzzing sound, and he pulls out his cell phone from his pocket. He opens it and it says "Please re-charge your battery. See You." It shuts off.
Asami: "... it died."
Misaki: "That was such a sad sound."
Misaki: "You know, Asami... you shouldn't feel responsible for this happening, either. You've been worried about that this whole time, haven't you? That the reason I'm here is your fault. Well, that isn't the case at all. At that time, I stood inside of the school walls on my own free will. So, it's not your fault. When you make such a sad face, it makes me sad too, okay?"
Asami: "I had a dream like this a long time ago. When I was a kid. I hated other people back then. I wanted everyone to go away."
Misaki: "A dream?"
Asami: "Yeah, a dream. I wanted everyone to disappear except for me and the girl I liked. A dream like that."
Misaki: "Stop making such a dark face!"
Asami: "My face is naturally like this."
Misaki: "But isn't it strange? When we could use cell phones, we couldn't reach each other, but now that we can't use them, we're right beside each other. Goodnight." She leaves. Asami stares at his cell phone.

Shot to the students in the room together. Takamatsu is holding the present he was going to give Kaoru, and crying. "I wish I would have told her I loved her..." he says. Flashback to the last time he saw her, when he wouldn't say he loved her back.

Returning to the present, and hole where the school once was. Various relatives go up and scream for their loved ones. Reporters try to bother Kaoru and Shinji, but Shinji tells them to get lost. A female reporter walks up to the other male reporters and says she's found out the location of a female student who was hospitalized from the incident.

Misaki's father arrives at the scene, waving her picture around. He asks if anyone has seen her. A girl says she saw her, and that she had walked into the school before the earthquake. He looks out towards the gaping hole. Shinji and Kaoru watch him.

Opening credits roll.

awrittensin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Long Love Letter, Episode 3 Summary (continued)

Post by awrittensin » Aug 17th, '05, 06:33

Everyone is gathered on the street watching a news broadcast on the jumbo screen. The newscasters say there is an estimated 30 people missing in the incident.

"Thirty... people?" Shinji repeats.

The newscasters say, "What exactly happened is a mystery, but at this time authorities believe a bomb might have been the cause, but are still unsure and continuing with their investigation."

"They're alive." Misaki's dad says, all of the sudden. "Everyone... my daughter... I'm sure they're all alive somewhere. Until I see proof, I won't believe otherwise."

"I won't believe them, either. Takamatsu, and everyone else, are definitely alive." Kaoru says.

The screen says one 17 year old is unconscious, and two other people, a 25 year old and a 23 year old have minor injuries. 9 others have been taken to a nearby hospital.

At the hospital, the reporters are trying to talk to the survivors. They're taking pictures of a blonde girl laying in a hospital bed. She wakes up, wondering where she is. She's holding a chunk of blond-ish hair. She notices one of her acrylic nails has been halfway snapped off.

Back to the school in the future, the blonde girl's missing nail piece is blown about by the wind. Some students rush up to the roof of the school. "It wasn't a dream after all!" cries one of the boys.

Back in the "Live for the moment!" classroom, the students are gathered and the teachers are talking to them.

Head teacher: "Anyway, for now we all must find a way to live here. Until we can find a way out, we all have to cooperate and do our best."

I'm not sure what the other teacher says next. Everyone seems surprised/pleased at what he says, though.

Otomo: "No one's coming to save us."

Another teacher rushes in. He says he can't find any police stations, fire stations or emergency stations anywhere - they're all gone. The students freak out. "BE QUIET!" the teacher yells.

Some girls are in a classroom, washing their hands and faces with water.
"This water tastes terrible! But why is water coming out, anyway?"
"No idea."
One girl cries saying she wants to see her mom.

Takamatsu says, "What do you mean, you saw 'the year 2020'? I don't get it."
Otomo says, "Let's get ___ (Laptop girl's name) to explain it more. Her IQ is 230, after all."
Someone else says, "What does that mean, that she's smart or stupid?"
Laptop girl says, "Smart."
Another girl says "So what year are we in, then?"
Laptop girl says something like she thinks they are at least in the year 2020, but there's a chance they could be past that as well.

Another girl: "Wait, we're 20 years in the future?"

The kids talk amongst themselves, not understanding. Laptop girl says she's not sure on the specifics, but the car's navigational system's screen displayed the year 2020 on it. I'm not sure exactly everything of what she says.

A boy says, "I don't get it, do you mean we're all dead after a war or something?"

Laptop girl: "We're alive. Right here and now."
Girl: "I don't get what you're saying."
Laptop girl: "In other words, we're still alive in the place we used to be."
Takamatsu: "The place we used to be? What's that?"
Otomo: "I guess that means here, in the school."
Laptop girl: "That's exactly right."
Girl: "I still don't get it."

Otomo says something about for example, if they boarded a bullet train from Tokyo at the same time the other kids from school (that weren't inside at the time of the earthquake) boarded, the kids from the future would be in Shizuoka whereas the kids left behind would only be in [_____] <-- I don't know what he said there. Basically he's saying, they basically rode a bullet train into the future. They're still alive as well as the kids left behind.

Otomo: "In other words, both groups are still existing in different places at the same time."
Boy: "So you mean my little sister and parents and friends are still alive?"
Otomo: "I'm not sure, but theoretically, yes."
Boy: "So ... we're in Shizuoka right now?" (he totally didn't get Otomo's analogy.)
Otomo: "No, that's not what I meant!"

Takamatsu wonders how they can get back to be w/ the others. Asami walks in. "We don't know. We don't know yet. But everyone's still alive, somewhere else. So don't worry." A boy says, "Oh, they're still alive." A girl says, "If they're alive, why can't we go back? All we can do here is die!"

Asami says, "Don't you dare think about dying. Think about living." He passes out flares to everyone, and fat boy wonders if you can eat them. "Of course you can't eat them," Asami says. "If you're out walking somewhere and something happens, pull this right here and tons of smoke will come out, and I'll come save you." A girl clutches it to her chest and says, "That is soooo cool!"

Takamatsu asks if he just now made them, and how amazing it is. Asami says there's no time to be sucking up to him since there's tons of things they have to do.

There are 5 tasks written on the board, and students are assigned to each one. The assignments are:

Group A: Find and secure food.
Group B: Stockpile goods.
Group C: I'm not sure what this one says.
Group D: Research countermeasures.
Group E: I can't read this one, either... their kanji is kinda sloppy ^^;

Misaki narrates: "Indeed, there were tons of things to do. Where were we? We weren't sure. But we divided up tasks, and gathered all the supplies and goods in the 2nd year C classroom. We were happy having things to do, and while we were busy we could forget our desperate uneasiness and sadness for just a little bit."

Otomo and Takamatsu are searching, and Otomo says they should divide up any food they find. The snotty girl and two karate guys from earlier in the episode come in and she says, "Heeeey, I want that!" The karate guys go get it for her. (I'm not sure what they're getting.) Otomo says it's fine since it's not food or anything. Takamatsu grumbles about them as they walk off. Otomo says, "Hey, hey. Who was that chick again?" Takamatsu says he doesn't remember. Otomo leaves. Misaki comes in and says something about Asami wanting to see Takamatsu. She and Takamatsu talk to each other.

Takamatsu goes to see Asami. Asami asks him to get something (a desk?) and Takamatsu wonders what they're all doing. Asami says he'll understand at night.

Otomo's talking to snotty girl. A girl in pigtails rushes up and says "Otomo-senpai, they've found food!" Everyone rushes over. They're standing in front of a door that's locked. (how they knew food was in there, I have no idea.) Flashback to Crazy teacher offering Otomo jam bread. Otomo says he's sure there's food inside. Unable to control himself any longer, Fat Boy throws himself against the door, and the others catch on, breaking it down. They find tons of food, but also find the Crazy teacher with a metal rod.

Crazy-sensei: "What do you think you're doing with other people's bread? It's ALL MINE! If you want any of it, start calling me 'Sekiya-SAMA.'" (I guess Sekiya is her name?)
Girl: "What are you talking about? This bread belongs to everyone."

Crazy-sensei tells everyone to shut up, starts waving her metal rod and pours gasoline (?!?) on everything in the hall. She manages to get some on one of the girls. She drops a lit match and it ignites. Everyone screams, and Misaki grabs a nearby fire extinguisher (!?!) and puts out the flames. They hear screaming from across the school.

awrittensin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Long love Letter, Episode 3 summary (continued)

Post by awrittensin » Aug 17th, '05, 06:44

The gym teacher(?) is dead, a rope around his neck and eyes bulging.
The head principal says, "Poor man. He just couldn't face the reality of this situation."

The students are shocked that an adult was scared, and a girl says "We can't depend on anyone now..."

The head teacher comes in and says they're going to try to go in the direction of Tokyo to search for food and other people, and if anyone wants to come.

Crazy-sensei is locked up and she is screaming "Open up, open up! (can't make out the name)-sensei is a murderer! I saw it!" (I'm assuming she's talking about the head teacher.)

The hooded boy comes out and gives Takamatsu a handkerchief. Not sure what he says. Misaki runs up and tells them to wait, and asks where they're going. Takamatsu says they're going to look for food. Misaki says, "Let me come, too." They drive off.

Back in the present at Misaki's dad's flower shop. The other worker says she's going out on a delivery. Sushi boy comes in and asks if this is MIsaki's place. He sits down with Misaki's dad.

Dad: "I see... you had a promise to meet her that day."
Sushi boy: "Yeah... when she didn't come I started to worry, since she always kept her promises."
Dad: "That's the way she is. Down to earth and simple."
Sushi: "I think Sensei is safe, somewhere. She's a strong woman."
Dad: "This sushi is good."
Sushi: "Thanks. I have to go back to my shop. I want you to have this. I wanted Sensei to have this, but... this is what gave me the strength to start over."
He hands her dad the what is it, a bottle opener?

The students are arguing, but I'm not sure what about. Asami comes in, and the students ask where he was all day. He says they'll see, and some other students come in with bicycles. They pass out small light bulbs. The boys cycle really fast and the light bulbs start to light up. They've made a generator. The girls say as long as they have these lights, they won't be scared at night. Otomo sees another girl has wet hair, and asks why. She says she just took a shower, and since there's no electricity, couldn't use a hairdryer. A boy says, "Are you kidding? You took a shower when all of us were working?"

Asami: "No, it's not that... it's just... listen. Now it's just us, right? Up until now, we've always been supported and protected by lots of material things and lots of other people. But now we don't have anything. Think about it."

Laptop girl comes in and says she's investigated, and they only have 7000(?) liters of water left. In other words, with 23 people... (Asami cuts in) so we only have enough water for three day's worth. (I'm not sure on their math here, or at least I heard her wrong. 7000 liters seems like a lot to me.)
Asami says until they find another source of water, they have to be careful of their water consumption and conserve more of it. He says he's sure they all understand. The students all understand and promise to cooperate. The girl who took a shower takes off her shirt, grabs a blanket and starts doing this weird dance. "Wh-wh-what are you doing?" everyone says. She laughs and says, "Praying for rain!" Asami stares at her and then says, "Oh yeah. What about those guys?"

Shot of Misaki, the two teachers, and Takamatsu in the car. Takamatsu looks out the window and says "Huh?" Misaki asks what's wrong and Takamatsu says, "There's someone there." It's a girl with a bad leg, walking with leg braces along the sand.

They get out of the car and go up to her. Misaki says, "Aren't you one of our students? What are you doing out here?" The girl answers that she is planning to go to Yamanashi by foot. Takamatsu says, "But, your leg..." The girl explains she had a spinal cord injury when she was young, making her leg paralyzed. She says that everyone laughs at her and leaves her out, and that she's always alone. She says she always wished she'd go to a world where everyone had disappeared, and now it had really happened. Misaki remembers Asami telling her about his dream about everyone disappearing.

Takamatsu tells the girl to get in the car. The girl says no, because she's always wanted to go to Yamanashi. She thinks there will be lots of vegetation and people in Yamanashi. She says when she arrives there safely, she'll send help to everyone here. Takamatsu says, "Are you an idiot? Number one, you're not even going in the right direction."
Bad-leg girl: "What? I'm not?"
Misaki: "No, you're not."

Misaki says this should be around the area of [___] (didn't catch it) and she used to go there with her father all the time. She finds a fake yellow flower on the ground.

Takamatsu looks up, and sees the car taking off. The car tries to run them down. Misaki is confused, but she grabs the kids and they start to run. The two teachers jump out of the car and follow them. They find a cave-like place, fall down. Takamatsu sees light, and they run towards it. "The exit!" he says, but as they approach they see a steep drop off. "What is this?" they all say. The other teachers catch up. Misaki figures out the head principal killed the gym teacher. He laughs maniacally and admits to it.

"I did it. Everyone has to die. There's no point in living in this world!" he says.

Takamatsu says, "If you think that, then kill yourself! I'm going to live!" The head teacher lunges for him, and Misaki tries to break them up. The head teacher starts to strangle Takamatsu and tells him to die. Misaki pushes the head teacher off of Takamatsu, who collapses and is choking for air. Bad-leg girl stands up and tries to protect Misaki, but the teacher throws her against the wall, and everyone hears a loud crack. Misaki punches the other teacher. Head teacher starts to strangle Misaki, holding her over the ledge. "It hurts... help me..." she chokes out.

Both Sushi Boy and her father hear her voice saying "Help me!" in the present. Sushi boy calls Dad, who repeatedly says Misaki's name. He rushes out in his pajamas, towards the direction of a hotel. "Hurry and save me!" Misaki says.

Dad runs through the hotel in his pajamas, yelling Yuka's name. He beats on a hotel door, and a half-naked guy answers. Dad says he knows his daughter is inside and forces his way in. He pulls the blanket off the girl inside, repeatedly screaming Misaki's name. He beats on the windows, and the shot pulls out from the hotel window all the way out so you can see the hotel and the buildings next to it. The same shot, but in the future. Misaki and everyone are in the same building, same room as Dad, but it is unrecognizable. Dad screams "Yuka!!" and Misaki hears it in the future. She comes to her senses and kicks the head teacher, who was about to smash her head in with a rock. She turns to Takamatsu and says "I heard a voice!" She grabs Bad leg girl's leg brace and swings it at the other teacher, stabbing him with the end. She swings it and it slips out of her hand, off the edge. Takamatsu is stabbed.

In the present, Dad is back at his flower shop, holding the bottle opener, crying. Kaoru comes to visit him. Cut to her and Shinji standing in front of the hotel Dad went the night before. "Are you for real?" Shinji says. "I'm for real. I believe him." Kaoru answers. Dad comes into the frame, wearing a fake moustache. "Thank you, young lady." "Let's go. We'll pose as family members," says Kaoru. They return to the same room, and Kaoru says, "This is where you heard her voice?"
Dad: "Yeah. You might not believe me, though."
Shinji: "I can't hear anything."
Dad: "Her voice sounded so desperate, like she was in pain."
Kaoru: "In pain?" Dad nods.

I don't know what Shinji says next. Dad takes out a chisel and begins to make a hole in the wall. "What are you doing?" Shinji says.

Dad says he wants to put the bottle opener in the wall, because his daughter is a strong girl, and if she has the bottle opener, she'll surely use her strength and fight. He says this is the bottle opener she used to fight with a student that time.

Shinji thinks this is all ridiculous and tells Kaoru to go home with him. Instead, Kaoru grabs a tool and begins to help Dad.
Shinji: "What the hell are you doing?"
Kaoru: "Shut up and keep watch!"
Shinji: "What?"
Kaoru: "I said, go keep watch at the door!"

In the future, Takamatsu falls over, and Misaki screams, "Takamatsu!" The teacher lunges at him, but he throws dust in his face. The head teacher grabs the rope (WTF did that come from?) and starts to strangle Misaki from behind, again holding her over the ledge.

In the present, Kaoru and Dad carve out a hole. He puts the bottle opener in a cloth, then a plastic bag. "Yuka, you can do it!" he says.
"Please let it reach them..." Kaoru prays.
"Takamatsu, you can do it!" she says.

In the future, Takamatsu hears Kaoru's voice. He grabs the flare and pulls it. Asami sees it from the schoolyard. He gets in the car and goes to find them. The teacher throws the flare down and wrestles with Takamatsu. Head teacher keeps strangling Misaki and says "We're going to die. Everyone's going to die!" Misaki reaches out and hits the place in the wall her father buried the bottle opener. Asami finds the fake flower. Head teacher says, "You're going to die, 'MASH.'" Just then, Misaki finds the bottle opener, grabs it, and hits the head teacher as hard as she can.

Zoom out, end credits roll.
Last edited by awrittensin on Aug 17th, '05, 08:20, edited 1 time in total.

takkichi

Post by takkichi » Aug 17th, '05, 07:20

OMG awrittensin.... thanks for translating epi 3. I can picture the drama as I read your summary. :)

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Aug 17th, '05, 09:55

awrittensin: this is great work! thank you so much for helping out Phoenix!

aoi-chan

Post by aoi-chan » Sep 6th, '05, 16:28

The ending is so positive I really didn't expected it but I didn't hate it as well.
If you haven't watched the whole series please stop reading right now, cause I'm going to discuss about the ending.

I guess with this kind of ending means Misaki & Asami make up for that one phone call & got together. The humankind is wiser and the future has changed into a better place, but what happened to Asami cs in the future? They sent the letters but not themselves. Does this means that there's 2 Asamis?

Maybe Asami in the future will meet his grandgranddaughters who look exactly like Misaki, so he'll find his lost love? *lol* *jokes* Just spinning around with crazy ideas. It really doesn't matter what's going to happen after the ending, the show was great. The storyline was really interesting cause you can't really predict it. I enjoy it a lot.

Many many thanks Phoenix!!

narutaru
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by narutaru » Sep 8th, '05, 12:18

Lol since I don't speak japanese but will attempt on watching this drama, could anyone pm me and tell me what happens at the end?
or tell me here?

Than ks

tianj

Post by tianj » Sep 14th, '05, 15:54

If anyone can translate LLL, please go here for the timed srt files, and post to let everyone know:

http://www.d-addicts.com/forums/viewtop ... 038#213038

gromitt
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by gromitt » Feb 3rd, '06, 09:10

Phoenix wrote:This is a short question: What language were the "desert people" (I like cytryna's name for them) talking and how did the one girl know that language?
According to the girl (the science/tech geek), it's 60% Chinese. 30% Japanese and 10% Korean.

dewydrop
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by dewydrop » Mar 18th, '06, 00:20

Hi all. ^^*
I know this is realllly late but...

I tried translating the untranslated subs for episode one (source was another korean sub that I had found for this drama) and I think I got most of it...except now some of the subs aren't in sync with the video. (Misaki talks wayyy too much and too fast, hence the long subs for such a short scene @.@)
I don't know how to adjust the timing perfectly so...I was wondering if anyone else did, and wouldn't mind taking a crack at it? Or I am willing to give it a try if someone could teach me/find me the prog that will let me.

If this goes well and if I may be so bold, I might even try translating the rest of the subs (started on ep 2.)

good day all. ^^*

mizune
Geinou Fansubber
Geinou Fansubber

Post by mizune » Mar 18th, '06, 02:57

^ Try asking in the Fansubbing Forum
I guarantee you'll get some good help there...
:)

dewydrop
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by dewydrop » Mar 23rd, '06, 10:34

Okie dokie. ^^*

orango jello
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by orango jello » Apr 18th, '06, 18:24

i hope someone continues this!! its very interesting. ^^

Hero

Post by Hero » Apr 24th, '06, 22:59

tthis looks interesting
*fingers crossed for subs*

naoto

Post by naoto » Apr 25th, '06, 02:49

does anyone know where else to download this? all the torrent on this site have 0 seeds :( I guess clubbox is the only way?

mizune
Geinou Fansubber
Geinou Fansubber

Post by mizune » Apr 25th, '06, 04:05

^ Have you tried requesting seeds in the Seeding and Upload Request Forum?

strawberrynkiwi

Post by strawberrynkiwi » May 24th, '06, 02:53

awww i thought there was complete subtitles... i was looking forward to seeing yamapi here :-(

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » May 24th, '06, 03:37

just a bit of patience. dewydrop, Phoenix and Haruspex are working on the subs. please give them some time.

theresalynne

Post by theresalynne » Aug 13th, '06, 07:25

It seems there are no people able to help sub this great series which is sad because I've gotten into it and I find it great. Watching the RAWs is just not the same. If anyone could pick back up the translating and subbing of this drama, I would be so happy. Maybe someone knows where to pick this up with english subs? I wish I could translate it myself but I know next to nothing about Asian language.

animefreak

Post by animefreak » Feb 2nd, '07, 21:59

._. been a while since ANY posts xD so anyways, what happened there at the end? im so lost as to what happened

Liantasse

Post by Liantasse » Feb 2nd, '07, 22:07

My thoughts about the ending, in response to animefreak's question on the subs thread:
Edit: hey, you got here before me!! :lol
When they are gathered in the courtyard, waiting for the lightning to strike and their letters to go back in time, Asami tells the students to be prepared, because, if the container does get transported back in time, the world around might instantly change. Wait, I'll give the exact quote from the subs:

Even if it flies... We don't know when and where it will go. But if this does get through to somebody, at the moment it disappears, the world might change.

And it does! They are are now back in time, in the "normal future", that is, two months (let's say -- 'cause I don't remember exactly how long they spent in the bleak future) from the moment of the earthquake that had sent them into the far future. Because now, they weren't sent into the far future anymore!

And the next scenes show us how this came about: The container almost burned out while traveling through the space-time continuum, but still, fragments of the letter reached Asami, exactly at the moment when he was contemplating whether to call Misaki-san or not. And this time, because of the letter-fragments, he does call! And they don't lose touch with each other anymore: they meet! :-) And everything is different after that :-)
I hope this was of help, I'm looking forward to your answer! If anyone has other thoughts, please share!!

animefreak

Post by animefreak » Feb 2nd, '07, 23:41

lol, but here's the thing:
how come it seems as though nobody remember's what happened? did the people in the future suddenly dissapear, or rather maybe they are still there, only that the past has been changed and that now, in that time frame, there is a different chain of events?

Liantasse

Post by Liantasse » Feb 3rd, '07, 08:18

As the past was changed, and they weren't transported to the far future anymore, of course they don't remember it, because it didn't happen anymore! (If you ask me, it seems Asami does remember it, at least in a vague and inexplicable way -- shown by his reaction when he sees Misaki-san in the classroom, but that may be only because he's very special like that :P )

They are not in the far future, because people cannot exist at the same time in two places. There can happen some weird stuff like a hand appearing from nowhere to strangle your enemy, because their fingernail irresistibly called them :lol but, I think, no more than that :-)

Anyway, "people trasported to the future and changing the past so that that future doesn't happen anymore" is a relatively common theme in time-travel fiction, and actually I like it a lot, and was glad that LLL was along those lines as well. I would have been quite saddened and disappointed if they had just stayed there and "started a new world" or something...
Edit: Oh, and one more thing! :-)
I realized it just now why things changed :-) The whole point (or one of the most important points :-) ) of the series was "to live for the moment", "to live the present at the fullest". (See Asami's discourse in the first episode.) The letter-fragments that reach Asami help them do just that. Before, he put off calling (did not live the moment to its fullest), and the whole tragedy ensued. But now, he doesn't, and things change for the better :-)
Of course, I think the idea of "living the moment at its fullest" doesn't mean "doing whatever crazy thing occurs to me without thinking of the consequences", but "doing the courageous thing / expressing your love without worrying about how you might look / without letting yourself be discouraged". :-)

animefreak

Post by animefreak » Feb 3rd, '07, 15:01

lol nice, i see happy faces all over. i think im starting to see it your way. obviously you're more observant or analytical. oh well, it was a good series anyway, though there were MANY stupid parts. :P [/spoiler]

inutikidude
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by inutikidude » Feb 3rd, '07, 22:57

@Liantasse: ahhhh i see now. i was kind of lost in the ending too ^^;; i thought they were all just dreaming about the past. but i still have questions though
1.How is it that the people that died in the future was able to come back alive to 2002?

2.How come its only Asami that remembers a little about what happen in the future?

3. When Misaki died in the future, how did she end up with with that former student? Was he just hallucinating that she was there?

4. And why would 3 little pieces of paper falling from the sky make Asami want to call Misaki?

5. Since they all forgot about what happened (them being transported to the future), how will they save the future now? Wont it still end up being all desert? That last scene at the end with grass being grown really didnt make sense that way.

Ahhh too many questions XD. I guess i just didnt like the fact how it was because Asami and Misaki didnt contact each other was what cause them all to transport to the future. I also wanted the letters to reach their love ones....And i cant believe they didnt kill that bitchy crazy teacher :glare:

momoji

Post by momoji » Feb 4th, '07, 04:56

Hahha I only have one question who is the girl that played Kamo-chan (the freaking genius girl) I like her a lot she is by far even cooler than yamapi in the series and the way she found out bout the mutation and the present ppl language is so cool~~~even though I am a girl i do have a girl crush on her...seems weird but she is sooo awesome I wanna have 230 IQ too...hohoho

P/s: how come her computer never really ran out of battery I doubt it can be charge using bicycle.

animefreak

Post by animefreak » Feb 4th, '07, 05:25

lol good point. i never noticed that. but ya, i would say that kamo was one of the prettiest girls in that drama.

Kitsuchi

Post by Kitsuchi » Feb 4th, '07, 17:50

inutikidude wrote:@Liantasse: ahhhh i see now. i was kind of lost in the ending too ^^;; i thought they were all just dreaming about the past. but i still have questions though
1.How is it that the people that died in the future was able to come back alive to 2002?

2.How come its only Asami that remembers a little about what happen in the future?

3. When Misaki died in the future, how did she end up with with that former student? Was he just hallucinating that she was there?

4. And why would 3 little pieces of paper falling from the sky make Asami want to call Misaki?

5. Since they all forgot about what happened (them being transported to the future), how will they save the future now? Wont it still end up being all desert? That last scene at the end with grass being grown really didnt make sense that way.

Ahhh too many questions XD. I guess i just didnt like the fact how it was because Asami and Misaki didnt contact each other was what cause them all to transport to the future. I also wanted the letters to reach their love ones....And i cant believe they didnt kill that bitchy crazy teacher :glare:
Ah, I think that I can answer something..
1. Just as Liantasse explained posts before, now that Asami changed his mind by calling Misaki instead of resisting because of those letters, the future changed. That is, their past changed because they did meet, which made the future also to change. They never went to the future anymore which means that those who died in the future never died anymore. So everything is normal now.

About those other questions, I'm unsure myself.. I'm especially confused by that last scene where they show that growing grass in the future in front of the school.. It's as if just by Asami calling Misaki, the whole future changed to the better - and that is just because Asami called Misaki? It's pretty weird..

Anyway, it was a good thing that everyone were in the "past", their present, in the end. But they should at least have memories of their visit in the future and try to save the future from the desertification..

creamy_amande

Post by creamy_amande » Feb 4th, '07, 23:22

I still don't get it.

I understand what you all said, but I still think there's a mystery !
Okay I get the fact that while Asami called Misaki because he saw the words "present" and "future" he got to think more about the "live the present", that changes some things; but why everything???

Imagine they don't see each other on January 7th, maybe the other flower girl managed to get money from that bitchy Sekiya and so Misaki didn't come back on that day, but Asami, he still had to go to school right? And the others students too right? SO the big whirl-shock-buuuah-brrrroum thing that occured could still show?! Even if Asami and Misaki date, that doesn't mean they got to change the weather or the climatic condition right? So thats the thing I wondered...I still don't get it...does someone understand this?

To this day I think this is one of the best jdramas ever! It really makes you think. I wish that all the people in this world would watch it and make some changes.

momoji

Post by momoji » Feb 4th, '07, 23:49

Do you guys remember the comic dragonball? I somehow think of it this way by changing the past that doesn't mean the future may change as well it just create another stream of timeline...like in the dragonball runks went back to change the future but what he created is just another set of timeline..so they might not be transported into the future they are just living differently...so the grass growing maybe because they were planting stuff and how asami saids that the earth will revive again live again because of the volcano eruption and whatnot... and the fact that asami met misaki is just anoher sort of an out of body experience I guess like the nail girl...like when she suddenly pop her hand into the future and kick the teacher's ass. Example when asami hug misaki in the dream sequence he was saying something like he is living and stuff like that...like when he was dying he suddenly pop out this image if they are dating and stuff... i think it is the same thing... but the coolest thing about this series is it has lots of what if's that left up to us to really imagine stuff... I still want to know who played kamo chan anybody know her name?

creamy_amande

Post by creamy_amande » Feb 5th, '07, 14:13

I can tell you who she is; I thought someone already answered this as she's quite famous.
Anyway she is.... SUZUKI EMI !!!

She's the one who played the "parapara queen" in Galcir. She incredibly changed ince LLL because she got taller, and thinner. You can't think it's the same girl, and she is half-chinese/half-japanese. Go check her profile on http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Suzuki_Emi

inutikidude
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by inutikidude » Feb 6th, '07, 01:46

whoa she looks really different in the pic on wiki. she was in lunch queen O_O who did she play?

creamy_amande

Post by creamy_amande » Feb 6th, '07, 02:28

She played one of the 2 girls Yamapi's role brought to the restaurant so many times, she was the cutest one, the other girl prefered Yamada's role.
You don't remember?
I recall an episode where Takeuchi's follwers came to the restaurant to warn her about Shuji's escape and Suzuki and the other girl were wondering where Takeuchi really came from, and if maybe they were a music band.

momoji

Post by momoji » Feb 6th, '07, 14:08

Thank you creamy~~~~ wahhhh no wonder she can pronounce the chinese language nicely.......

Lulabee

Post by Lulabee » Mar 8th, '07, 08:16

This drama is very rich in emotions,
until the end i was scared anh i hoped that the end was good. But, the end is very ambiguous lol.
This drama is among my preferred :-)

goygakgoy

Post by goygakgoy » Mar 10th, '07, 07:30

I just saw this drama and I have to say this is a great example of why I love jdoramas. "Long Love Letter" is to misleading. I thought it was gonna be about a guy who's trying to get with the girl that he lost contact with. Typical lovey dovey stuff. The 99.99% of the first episode is so freaking misleading as well...but vital. I nearly turned it off, but I didn't feel like getting up, so I just let it played. My jaw dropped at the end...wtf??? Watch it and u'll see what I mean. From there, I knew I should give this drama a 2nd shot and oh man, I am so glad. I nearly missed out on a good drama.

As for the ending, YOU HAVE TO WATCH IT AFTER THE CREDITS!!!! Again, I was lazy and boy, I'm glad I did watch it. You'll feel better if you do. The drama seemed like it was gonna end in a way that sucked, but the ending was pretty good in my opinion. It makes sense, the whole story made sense.

http://silentregrets.com/completed-jdra ... letter.php

Neji-sama

Post by Neji-sama » Mar 23rd, '07, 16:03

This show rocks. On ep 4 atm and this far it's been very enjoying!

Neji-sama

Post by Neji-sama » Mar 25th, '07, 17:29

goygakgoy wrote:
As for the ending, YOU HAVE TO WATCH IT AFTER THE CREDITS!!!! Again, I was lazy and boy, I'm glad I did watch it. You'll feel better if you do. The drama seemed like it was gonna end in a way that sucked, but the ending was pretty good in my opinion. It makes sense, the whole story made sense.
I just saw the last ep and i'm unsure about the ending, did everything go back to normal or are they still in the future and the thing with the letters in it got burned or did it get there safely? Considering the ending where the grass, trees etc came back to life?

Jennehh__x

Post by Jennehh__x » Mar 30th, '07, 01:45

dxtr: I THINKKKKKK the ending was
that the letter went back to the past and the guy got the letter and read the lines and like er he called the girl [blah sorry; i dont remember any of their names xD] so the stranger woman didnt steal the phone from him and so he got in touch with the main girl character and so like, the 'future' didn't happen. and so that meant that the kids didn't went to the 'future' o_o; aka they didn't know what was 'going' to happen.
I read what i wrote. I dont get it. LOLL XD XD

chochajin

Post by chochajin » Mar 31st, '07, 22:47

Oh, I´m glad I found the thread !

I just RIGHT now finished Long Love Letter and I want to discuss this a little bit.

I´m still not sure if I liked that series or not.
It was REALLY strange and I totally wasn´t expecting SUCH a story but ...... although it was quite horrible and damn exciting from time to time .... it WAS good, wasn´t it ?

I think right now with the worldwide discussions about climatic catastrophes THIS is the series everyone should watch !
It´s also pretty scary because they said it´s all starting in 2007 :unsure: .... *cough*

Well I guess the story doesn´t want to be loved, the drama doesn´t want to be loved .. it´s not a drama where you say "Oh, it was so cute and good" it´s more like ... you start to think about things I guess. And regarding this fact it WAS a good drama.

But I didn´t like the end. I usually never like open ends !!! :/
On the other hand I guess I would hated other ends as well XDDD
But there´s one thing I don´t get:
So Asami got pieces of the letter in the year 2001 (!) .... he couldn´t figure out what was written exactly because it were only peaces, but he called Misaki and changed their past (with their I mean Misaki´s and his own future).
So okay ... now we have the following possibilities:
1) Because they are together now, there´s no need for Misaki to go/be in that school that day. So she won´t land in the future and won´t die. So right at that second when they send the letters back from the future a Misaki that is still alive should re-appear in the year 2002, am I right ?
It also could be that Asami is not at that school at that time.
But we don´t see that.
2) Both are not at the school. None of them is dead, they´re not travelling to the future.
3) Both of them still travel to the future.

But the thing I don´t get is:
The last thing we see is the school and that everything around it gets GREEN !
Okay nice .. but that means that someone read the letter(s) right ????? That´s the only possibility !
But if so ! There should be NOBODY at school in the future ! (we don´t see that though)
Why ? Because the letter(s) were sent to the year 2001, so if s.o. read them, they might know what happened, they rescued earth (see green) AND they also knew that the school will travel into the future .. so noone would enter that school on that day right ?
But they didn´t manage to do s.th. against the earthquake in 2002, because the school was nevhertheless there, right ?
AAAH my head hurts ... that´s what you get if you make an open end shikushou ! :argue:

.... gotta go to bed and sleep over it, but please let me hear your opinions ! :-)

Mr_Kyoling

Post by Mr_Kyoling » Apr 1st, '07, 04:11

We also just finished watching Long Love Letter and I freaking loved it.
(Thanks for the rip and the subs!)

@Chochajin
I think the green around the school was simply a symbol to show that there isn't the vast deserted place of the future the party was stranded in.

I have to say I liked the end very much. There were a couple of scientific inconsistencies (not the typical dramatic storytelling like the canyon that suddenly formed) I noticed, and if there would have been a different; a set end it would have left me annoyed.

GoddessCarlie

Post by GoddessCarlie » May 28th, '07, 02:25

Wow, this was an awesome drama. You could really feel the pain and hardships they had to go through.

And I have a love/hate relationship with ambiguous endings. :) But really it couldn't have ended in a better way.

anohianotoki

Post by anohianotoki » May 31st, '07, 14:18

Well, the ending's kinda confusing, but I'd like to think:
Since psychic phenomenon is allowed in this drama, such as loved ones being able to hear voices and sense needs from the future, I figure just enough letter fragments got to the right people to affect some changes to the past. Also, I think there might be some latent memories planted in the students that will affect them at key decision times and also everyday behaviors like appreciating ordinary life.

I think also that it is not within human power to prevent the entire school transportation phenomenon. However, the end scene would seem to indicate that at least the immediate surroundings of the school were reverted to wilderness. So, with latent memories to guide them, no students vanished with the school. Furthermore, the students grew up and took positions of responsibility and brought that wilderness project into being as part of a worldwide ecological program.

In the new future, the teachers fall in love and it is revealed that the sushi maker student had just wanted to say thank you. Everyone involved lives happier lives than they would have had the school never disappeared, and the world is a better place for it.

Knowing that the school will disappear, Japan's best researchers (Miss Megane) deploy advanced instrumentation for the event and glean the secret of warp drive. Earth colonizes the galaxy and names the first Galactic Self Defense Battleship Yamato...but that's another story. :roll

GoddessCarlie

Post by GoddessCarlie » Jun 1st, '07, 02:03

excelent theory anohianotoki!

This is what I think:
Misaki and Asami were obviously now going out so Misaki had no reason to go to the school that day, so Misaki did not die.

However, everyone else probably had to go to that school that day. Now... it all depends on why the school was transported in the first place - did it have something to do with the earth being all crappy in the future? If so, then perhaps the school didn't get transported. If not, well, they have been transported to a future with lots of forrest so it may have been easier for them to live. Also, now Asami has somehting (Misaki) back in the past so maybe he is more despret to get back....

But, if you think of the multiple universe theory, our Asami and co are probably still in the same shitty future - however, it showed that there were plants begining to flower and there was water - there is now hope. Either way, I think it was a happy ending.

anohianotoki

Post by anohianotoki » Jun 1st, '07, 03:23

Well, the thing about
multiple universes is that when you do something spectacular, it doesn't help you. You just create a new universe that didn't exist before. So, you can't help yourself and you can't help anyone else either.

However, GoddessCarlie, you are right that with a new river flowing behind the school and plants starting to grow, there is hope. And yes, maybe the wilderness suddenly appearing could be what the stranded students see as soon as the letter capsule disappeared.

As a thoughtful viewer, do you have any thoughts on what the writers were saying about Japanese society in the actions of the students. I thought some were slow to act or do anything. There was that tendency for suicide which the Japanese deny. There was the tendency to wait for help when it is clear that help won't arrive any time soon, perhaps reflecting how the Japanese society is sometimes intrusively helpful ("please hold on to the handrails on the escalator..."). There was general stupidity (eating the seeds instead of planting them) and self-centeredness from two bigger boys in the white coats---(like yakuza?) The doctor at first was still concerned with his exams, just like how the first student willing to kill in "Battle Royale" was just concerned with doing well in exams to secure a good life. Are the writers saying that the 'good exams to good life' system only works if nothing changes and is actually a completely artificial institution that can be easily toppled and also not helpful for real life? And of course, the most despicable character was the shopaholic teacher with the ridiculous red coat. (If she still had gasoline to burn, why didn't they take it with them in the little car? And, if they had no hope of finding water, why didn't they try to find the water that the Chinese/Japanese/Korean folks must have been using?)

There's a book "Earth Abides" which has a similar theme.

Ideas never flowed so easily when an essay was due for grade school. :|

gyen

Post by gyen » Aug 22nd, '07, 00:37

who the actress played be ando? the one student who like asami?

morai_naki

Post by morai_naki » Sep 16th, '07, 16:18

this dorama's title is very misleading LOL.
i only watched it bcoz of YamaP and Yosuke Kubozuka..
and i was expecting a cheesy love story..
*i still shiver at imagining yosuke in a cheesy love story*

i'm glad the plot was different from what i expected.
it's even scary at times..
thinking that similar things may happen in our future.

about the ending
i was kinda disappointed that it actually became a happy ending.. (well sorta..) coz when Asami-sensei told them that they're prolly stuck in that time, and must learn to 'start over' and populate the earth again. LOL.. i was slowly accepting that that's what's gonna happen.

but then, bits of burnt paper reached the Asami in the 'present' and they sorta ended up saving the earth.. oh well..

crabbyrat

Post by crabbyrat » Sep 29th, '07, 19:02

Ahh just discovered this thread! I LOVED THIS DRAMA! But since it was so weird I thought nobody else did;)

Here's my theory on the "green":
One theme they kept hitting upon in the drama is that because of the population's waste, they used up all of the resources on earth and it slowly killed off all of the human population in the future where the school ended up in. I think the "green" symbolizes that the pieces of the letter did make it to the past and people realized that they needed to conserve their resources so they don't end up in a future like that, and the future turns out "green". I thought it was an environmental message and a warning to people nowadays of what might turn out, like self-destruction.

And of course, Asami got his letter in the past so he actually called Misaki and she ended up alive and with Asami.

I agree with the idea that the green symbolizes hope for the future, and that we still can change the future.

morai_naki

Post by morai_naki » Sep 30th, '07, 06:55

@ crabbyrat
yeah.. that is also most prolly so.. the 'green' might also just serve as a symbolic/metaphorical warning of some sorts.. i really liked the 'environmentalistic' aspect of this dorama.
and also.. alot of ppl surprisingly love 'weird' LOL../
glad you enjoyed this dorama, too!