Korean Drama/Entertainment magazine in English

Anhyong haseyo. Post Korean related stuff here.

If there were a quarterly (3x/year) glossy magazine written in English (maybe $8-10 at newsstands, discounted for subscribers) that featured Korean soap stars, dramas and entertainment articles, would you be willing to purchase or subscribe to it?

Yes, sign me up!
40%
No, I don't think I'd be interested.
2%
I might buy it from the newsstand if it had great articles and pics.
23%
I might buy it from the newsstand if it had great articles and pics.
23%
If I saw it on the newsstand and it had great articles and pics, I would subscribe.
12%

Total votes: 91

Got Knocked Up In US

Korean Drama/Entertainment magazine in English

Post by Got Knocked Up In US » Apr 5th, '05, 23:06

Hello fellow d-addicts,

We're trying to spread the word and get input so if you've seen this post on KoreanWiz, the SoCal boards and Soompi, my apologies.

Basically, we are two drama addicts with publishing contacts. We'd like to put together a magazine for English speaking fans of Korean entertainment (specifically, dramas). But before we can convince publishers that this is a good idea, they need to know that there is a market for such a magazine. Our original (and long) post explaining what we'd like to do is at http://korean_wave.typepad.com

You can leave us input at that site, or give us your comments here. Obviously, the more people respond, the better we can show publishers that this magazine is very needed!

I've also put up a poll, just for fun.

Thanks in advance for any input/suggestions you can give!

Jannah
Geinou Fansubber
Geinou Fansubber

Post by Jannah » Apr 6th, '05, 09:41

I'll answer the questions asked on your original post here. :)
1. Assuming this would be published quarterly, would you pay $8-10 per issue for a glossy, fashion-type mag of approx 70 pages?
Yes.
2. Would you be willing to subscribe? Subscriptions usually mean a discount on the cover price and recieving special, free promotional items (posters, maybe an OST, etc.) that are not available if the magazine is purchased at a newsstand or book store.
Yes.
3. What would you like to see in the magazine? We were thinking of the following:
a. Lots and lots of great pictures.
b. Poster pullouts.
c. Lots and lots of interviews.
d. Behind the scenes reports from dramas, parties and press tours.
e. Celebrity profiles.
f. Recaps of favorite episodes, entire series recaps.
g. Reviews.
h. Previews - but since this is quarterly, no breaking news would really be availble, since everyone surfs the web. We could possibly however, preview shows before they get here.
i. Q&A from readers, fan comments.
j. A Web site dedicated to the magazine.
All of the above sounds good. :) But I especially would like to see a, c, d, f, g, j.

apr238

Post by apr238 » Apr 7th, '05, 18:24

Yeah....i will buy any magazine at any price. Let's say......on a subscription basis would not be bad either.Nice to have a magazine delliver to your door.[/img]

washi

Post by washi » Apr 7th, '05, 18:34

No one has brought up the scenerio that will most likely happen if you publish--someone will buy the issue, scan the photos and put them up on the web or maybe even here--sales drop.

joonggook

Post by joonggook » Apr 7th, '05, 18:56

:w00t: wow, that would be cool to have a mag like that.

i'm ALL IN! :lol

innocentchica

Post by innocentchica » Apr 7th, '05, 19:05

hmm i would be interested in buying if i saw it on the newstand... it's time they made a mag in english featuring asian stars...

gemgrl81

great idea

Post by gemgrl81 » Apr 7th, '05, 20:28

I think this is a great idea, i would definitely like to subscribe... i know there's a lot of news and info out there on the internet, but its just not the same as having it in a magazine right in front of you.

I would like to see:
A. Pictures, maybe 1 or 2 poster pullouts (1 male and 1 female star) per magazine.
B. Interviews
C. Upcoming drama advertisement and previews (maybe even upcoming movies)
D. Current drama reviews, behind the scene, and maybe a poll of how the movies are doing at the box office.
E. Celebrity profiles for sure.
F. Q&A from readers, fan comments.
G. Maybe some advertisements at the back to show where you can get the drama (purchase/renting)
H. Maybe a korean recipe? (i'm really interested in korean culture)
I. A Web site dedicated to the magazine.

This mag sounds awesome, and if you need people to write articles and stuff let me know ^__^

guess1

Post by guess1 » Apr 7th, '05, 20:50

i'm not trying to be a b*tch or anything...
i really think it's a good idea to have a magazine of Korean entertainment in english...
but isn't $8-10 a little much for a magazine that's only 70 pages, i mean many magazines cost $4 for 170 pages, this one is double the price and has less than half the pages...

but if people are really truthful about wanting it, then best of luck to you.
i hope it's a success.

miriko

Post by miriko » Apr 7th, '05, 20:51

Where can I sign up to work for such a heavenly production??

theedqueen

Post by theedqueen » Apr 7th, '05, 21:52

This sounds really cool, but I think I need to see an actual sample before I decide if I'd want to subscribe to such a magazine. Otherwise I'd just buy it off the newstand if there was stuff in there I really thought was awesome.

atld

Post by atld » Jul 19th, '05, 20:28

great idea !!! i would definitely buy !

tofu

Post by tofu » Jul 20th, '05, 17:34

i will definetly buy!

innocent816

Post by innocent816 » Jul 20th, '05, 21:25

I would totally buy one!!! :D I think tht is such a great idea.

rainidy
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by rainidy » Jul 20th, '05, 22:04

I'm interested in subscribing to it, if there is one. Been looking around for something like that, I'm glad you guys are planning publishing a Korean entertainment magazine for English fans.

kood
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by kood » Jul 20th, '05, 23:59

Only 3 times per year?
News happen every day and what you cover may be "late" or "old news" by the time it releases.
I know it's new; but if this becomes a success,
I know it'll grow to a monthly issue (as long as there are supporters.)

Truthfully, I'd subscribe nevertheless.

And about the possible pirates who scan/upload online.
Well, users already do that with everything else such as eBooks and magazines.
The reason why the magazine still survives and users still subscribe is
because there's a difference in owning a digital copy that'll last forever and
owning it, turning each of the fresh and crisp pages with a wet licked thumb.

Oh, and good luck.

evildevil

Post by evildevil » Jul 21st, '05, 01:12

I'm interested in it. I always wish for this, but I hope if it will be published, it will be available in my state ^_^
1. Assuming this would be published quarterly, would you pay $8-10 per issue for a glossy, fashion-type mag of approx 70 pages?
Yes
2. Would you be willing to subscribe? Subscriptions usually mean a discount on the cover price and recieving special, free promotional items (posters, maybe an OST, etc.) that are not available if the magazine is purchased at a newsstand or book store.
Yes
3. What would you like to see in the magazine? We were thinking of the following:
b. Poster pullouts.
e. Celebrity profiles.
g. Reviews.
h. Previews - but since this is quarterly, no breaking news would really be availble, since everyone surfs the web. We could possibly however, preview shows before they get here.
1. c. Lots and lots of interviews.
2. g. Reviews.
3. d. Behind the scenes reports from dramas, parties and press tours.
4. f. Recaps of favorite episodes, entire series recaps.
5. e. Celebrity profiles.
6. b. Poster pullouts.
7. i. Q&A from readers, fan comments.
8. j. A Web site dedicated to the magazine.
9. a. Lots and lots of great pictures.
10. h. Previews - but since this is quarterly, no breaking news would really be availble, since everyone surfs the web. We could possibly however, preview shows before they get here

Misa

Post by Misa » Jul 21st, '05, 18:15

b. Poster pullouts.
e. Celebrity profiles.
g. Reviews.
:O
It would be all interesting! :P
Expecially the points: c.d.f.h.

aNToK
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by aNToK » Jul 21st, '05, 18:21

I'd buy it! Nothing to contribute really, but the thread author's name cracks me up so much I had to respond.....

nikeg

Post by nikeg » Jul 21st, '05, 22:46

i think this would definitely be a hit in hawaii at least where most of the fan base doesnt speak or know any korean at all. the best way to advertise it too would be on kbfd too in that 750-9 timeslot everyday because even though ppl on forums say yes... i would think most of the fan base here in hawaii consist of the 40+ club that dont go to internet forums, but just lovvvveee watching korean dramas. i have a lot of aunties that are my parents age that watch them... so if you can get that fan base to buy the mags then definitely it would be worth publishing especially if it has mostly everythings that ppl have suggested here... definitely has to be mostly in color too would be good hehe

Lil_Bubot

Post by Lil_Bubot » Jul 21st, '05, 23:26

I think it's a good idea :thumright: ... I'm definetely interested i signing up... Just hope that the $8- $10 dollars per magazine will be worth the money... a little expensive compare to other magazine... but as long as It has posters, pictures, great article and great information about the Korean actors and actresses and upcoming dramas's and again lots and lots of new pictures of our favorite korean celebs :faint: ... It think it will all be worth it!!! :D

dramalover

Post by dramalover » Nov 27th, '05, 19:59

I think that's a great idea. I'd love to be up to date with korean entertainment. $8-10 for a 70 page magazine seems a bit expensive, however, if it's quarterly (assuming only 4 issues come out a year) that should be ok. I hope if you do get this published, it could be sold in Canada too. :D (Toronto more specifically)