Lee Dong Gun = robotic acting.

Discuss about your favourite Korean Actors and Actresses.
VietZeus

Lee Dong Gun = robotic acting.

Post by VietZeus » Jul 5th, '05, 11:47

I saw this guy acted in Let's go to school, Sang-Doo and Sweet 18. He has the same acting "skills". I saw him displayed the same acting "skillz" in the movie "my boyfriend is type B"

Do y'all feel me?

When he pick up the cell phone: first he will look down, then look up and turn exactly 45 degree to the right.

When he sighs: he would look down and look up then give a little sigh. he has only one sigh move.

I really don't think this guy can act. He has his face fit as an actor but damn he sucks.

I saw how Rain acted in Let's go to school, Sang-doo. I was blown away how natural he was. It's like he's always comfortable in front of the camera.

Lee Dong Gun on the other hand always seem so robotic as if he was nervous. Feel free to tell more about his acting because if I really wanted to I could at least point out 10 of his robot acting skill.

jazie

Post by jazie » Jul 8th, '05, 20:53

LOL.. I didn't notice this until you pointed out this... but when i come to think about it, it's true... I think that he was a little annoying in Let's go to school sangdoo and the part of his body that i dislike the most is below his eyes.... check it out...

fayenatic

Post by fayenatic » Jul 9th, '05, 00:42

haha ill have to agree with you.
but i give you props for having the balls to point this out just when his popularity is on the rise.

TNF
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by TNF » Jul 9th, '05, 01:06

wow, I can't believe someone hasn't disagreed with this topic yet, I got a ton of sh*t when I pointed out that Bi couldn't sing, lmao.

rinimeatballs

Post by rinimeatballs » Jul 9th, '05, 03:28

muhahaha.... his acting skills are the same but ill watch him act anyday! why? um...because i have nothing better to do. well...just as long as he doesnt make another crappy moive like my boyfriend is type b hes much better then that. OR...is he?
>>>backs out of post slowly<<<< :w00t:

nikeg

Post by nikeg » Jul 9th, '05, 03:57

i guess u can say he just gets very similar parts in all his dramas... hes never really a bad guy and never really a good guy (romance in paris, sangdoo, bf is type b) so with similar roles unless there is something very unique about his role then hell prob act basically the same for each part.... that prob also means his real personality must be verrrry close to how he acts

bugsie

Post by bugsie » Jul 9th, '05, 04:15

a combination of poor and patented acting. this guy takes it to another level. :clap:
Last edited by bugsie on Jul 9th, '05, 20:00, edited 1 time in total.

kyrinda

Post by kyrinda » Jul 9th, '05, 04:16

Are you kidding me..............!!!!!!!
Have you guys seem sweet 18. Love him in that series. He didnt seem robotic to me. :glare:

But i guess everyone has their own opinion.

seirin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by seirin » Jul 10th, '05, 00:32

tikleabubble wrote:wow, I can't believe someone hasn't disagreed with this topic yet, I got a ton of sh*t when I pointed out that Bi couldn't sing, lmao.
LOL haha yes u would get into **** for saying that. Bi's becoming one of the hottest stars in Asia. He has alot of support all over Asia. You can tell by the amount of MTV awards he's won the past year.

Romance

Post by Romance » Jul 10th, '05, 00:36

think hes a great actor :unsure:

halfie

maybe

Post by halfie » Jul 17th, '05, 08:50

I dunno how the rest of his acting is, but just seeing that scene in My Boyfriend is Type B where he acts gay puts him higher on my list. omg, I rewinded that part like 5 times it was so funny. Even if he is a crappy actor, he's good at acting gay. :lol

neonkinpatsu
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by neonkinpatsu » Jul 17th, '05, 09:07

Hmm, I didn't think he was a bad actor, but maybe he has the same way of acting out certain "moods". I thought he did a great job in Lovers in Paris as Soo-hyuk's ever changing character. I never really took notice of poor acting because I'm always left in a stare with a hot male actor on my screen. I couldn't give a crap either way though......he's HOT, UMPH <33333. Sorry guys, I couldn't help that :rofl:

miriko

Post by miriko » Jul 17th, '05, 09:25

Really must agree with neon on this one.... The boy is HOT, I dont know if Ive ever even noticed his acting....

*Miriko thinks back....*
-Lee Dong Gun is an actor?, I thought he was just a moving and talking poster boy....
*End of thought*

But seriously, I think hes delivered some pretty decent performances, especially in Sweet 18, ROYOW, and Paris... The fact that he may have some mannerisms that are too characteristic is just something hell have to work on as an actor... I look forward to drooling,,,, I mean seeing him, in more dramas :wub:

my_valentine

Post by my_valentine » Jul 18th, '05, 01:09

I have to disagree with you...I think his acting SKILL is great and I think he is cute

yo-chan

Post by yo-chan » Jul 18th, '05, 01:30

robotic?

no way ><!!
he is very natural when acting.. he does not seem top force himself.. that what I would call robotic o.ô

hacksign

Post by hacksign » Jul 18th, '05, 01:36

yeah, I'll just cast in a vote of disagreement. Apparently he's a good enough actor or else he wouldn't be where is today... (of course, this is all under the assumption that you don't think the majority of people have unsound mind)

crazylife123
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by crazylife123 » Jul 18th, '05, 01:57

Well...he must be doing something right...his female costar (Han Ji Hye) from Sweet 18 and My Boyfriend is type B is his girlfriend in real life. I wouldn't mind being in his shoes. She's is hot!

JessixFFx
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by JessixFFx » Jul 22nd, '05, 05:21

I think what you've described can be considered as habits. It has nothing to do with his acting ability, and honestly, no actors can be so excellent that they can shake away their normal habits the minute the director yells action. Besides, aren't you reading a bit too much into his every movement?

sacrificehouse

Post by sacrificehouse » Jul 22nd, '05, 05:42

tikleabubble wrote:wow, I can't believe someone hasn't disagreed with this topic yet, I got a ton of sh*t when I pointed out that Bi couldn't sing, lmao.
I think LDG fans are just good-natured.

I'm not a big fan of LDG but I prefer him to Rain by a mile.

nitewind12

Post by nitewind12 » Jul 22nd, '05, 05:56

LOL ohhhhhmmmmyyyyyyygoooodddd I thought of the EXACT same things when I watched Sangdoo shortly after Sweet 18. The very first scene when he appeared in Sangdoo he answered the phone and as soon as I saw that I was like He looks exaclty the same!!! I never thought about it but now that I think about it he does Sigh a ton and its all the same too :lol
Damn I don't like him that much, I think he's there for his looks :P
The way he talks doesn't sound natural, its as if he's reading what to say next lol. Ah well, Sangdoo was a good show :-)

bugsie

Post by bugsie » Jul 22nd, '05, 06:22

old habits die hard :P

hinako442003
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by hinako442003 » Jul 22nd, '05, 13:02

his laugh's the same too :lol someone mentioned this too, when he goes "huyk huyk huyk" with this chuckles
but... aren't those just habits? ... like how you hold your cellphone...
watever, i didn't get annoyed
I absolutely adored him in Sweet 18.

heavenly_89

Post by heavenly_89 » Aug 9th, '05, 14:15

well..i don't agree that his acting skills sucks..personally i am a fan of his and i feel that HIS ACTING IS TOTALLY GREAT!!! I was so touched by his scenes in sweet 18. But really,...diff plp hav diff opinions abt him like i like Lee Dong Gun but i don't really like Rain ..his songs are nice but i don feel that he look good thats why i say diff plp hav diff tastes :|

maea_maie

Post by maea_maie » Oct 29th, '05, 11:37

I really do like him so i really don^t care abt his flaws. not at ol. and i think his acting wer gud. many recognizes him in acting than in singing so ive heard.

Lady Zhuge

Post by Lady Zhuge » Oct 29th, '05, 15:32

He doesn't come off as robotic to me. I actually like the way he holds a cellphone...very professionally and confidently. :P

TNF
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by TNF » Oct 29th, '05, 15:52

Hinako442003 wrote:his laugh's the same too :lol someone mentioned this too, when he goes "huyk huyk huyk" with this chuckles
but... aren't those just habits? ... like how you hold your cellphone...
watever, i didn't get annoyed
I absolutely adored him in Sweet 18.
I notice that he sighs lot, but I can't expect any actor to change the way they laugh for every drama. Maybe his "hyuk hyuk hyuk" isn't that common, so we remember how he laughs. Usually I don't remember how actors laugh because they don't go "hyuk hyuk hyuk" :salut:

MzParanoia

Post by MzParanoia » Oct 30th, '05, 07:20

Ditto!! :thumleft:

UGH. It bothers me too. Plus, it gets wayyy sickening to see an actor carry out the same image & habbits one role after another. :x

#1) Ever notice his style of clothing? :blink Pfffft.Some taste he's got.
#2) Horrbile in suits. especially the T-I-E. OMG why in the heck does it have to be soo "tiny"? He's the first.. I'll say!
#3) The way he walks. Can't put my finger it, but yea.. -_-"

And yup, I'd agree that he's totally SUPERB at acting g a y in My Boyfriend is type B. :cheers: HaH! Maybe that's more of his field? *shrugs* :whistling:

chunu

Post by chunu » Oct 30th, '05, 08:12

well I could think of a worser actor/actress then he
is...ME...hehe...forget about video cameras...I freeze
just taking pictures!!! :crazy:

I don't think LDG or anyone's a bad actor/actress cause
they made it into movies/dramas..etc...they will be better
later. I just don't think it's right to critize ANYONE...I'm sure
he gave his best. :wub:

sadotsu

Post by sadotsu » Oct 30th, '05, 08:37

Uhh... I think that those things that you mentioned are just his mannerisms. it doesn't mean that he's a "robotic" actor, it might just mean that he has to get into character more.

jinx23

Post by jinx23 » Oct 31st, '05, 07:54

I first saw LDG in Lovers in Paris and I must say that I was very impressed with his acting there. He portrayed his character very well- i actually prefer watching the scenes with him in it more than PSY (Kijoo) scenes mainly because Soo Hyuk had the most romantic & emotional dialogues & LDG expressed them perfectly! I was touched and felt his sorrow whenever he was on- he was definitely not robotic! It was this drama that made me a big fan of him and started hunting for more LDG!
Currently watching Stained Glass- his character is not as lively and expressive as SH was in Paris. His acting is ok,(apparently he was doing 2 films at the same time & could not devote 100% and was only sleeping about 3 hrs a night which explains the bags!)Even though his acting was not as great as in Paris I like him just the same because he looks soooo good!
In Boyfriend type B- I thought his acting was great- it wasn't over the top and it was funny at times esp the gay scene :)
Sweet 18 is next to watch on my list- I will try to be more critical with his acting but being such a popular hit- I doubt it would be robotic! Also, the 2 leads always get votes for the best on screen couple so he must have done something right!! I heard his character was somewhat too sensible & old fashioned? Maybe he is trying too hard to portray a 28 year old man? We'll see!

stunningblue06

Re: Lee Dong Gun = robotic acting.

Post by stunningblue06 » Oct 31st, '05, 13:31

VietZeus wrote:I saw this guy acted in Let's go to school, Sang-Doo and Sweet 18. He has the same acting "skills". I saw him displayed the same acting "skillz" in the movie "my boyfriend is type B"

Do y'all feel me?

When he pick up the cell phone: first he will look down, then look up and turn exactly 45 degree to the right.

When he sighs: he would look down and look up then give a little sigh. he has only one sigh move.

I really don't think this guy can act. He has his face fit as an actor but damn he sucks.

I saw how Rain acted in Let's go to school, Sang-doo. I was blown away how natural he was. It's like he's always comfortable in front of the camera.

Lee Dong Gun on the other hand always seem so robotic as if he was nervous. Feel free to tell more about his acting because if I really wanted to I could at least point out 10 of his robot acting skill.
wow.. and you were able to point this out.... i liked sweet 18 but i have to agree about this.

cetok

Post by cetok » Oct 31st, '05, 13:50

i think he is find.. but i wanna watch him play bad roles... then maybe i will love him

cetok

Post by cetok » Oct 31st, '05, 13:58

i think he is find.. but i wanna watch him play bad roles... then maybe i will love him

ans

Post by ans » Nov 17th, '05, 00:27

Hey..I like his acting and his voice (deep)...honestly he can talk or sing me to sleep any time. :D

dangsta

Post by dangsta » Jan 3rd, '06, 14:07

He's ok to me.

He's not a Hottie though.....his eyes are weird O_o but he is a decent fellow.

I've only seen him in Sangdoo and Friends. Both characters were different.

devotee

Re: maybe

Post by devotee » Jan 4th, '06, 22:22

halfie wrote:I dunno how the rest of his acting is, but just seeing that scene in My Boyfriend is Type B where he acts gay puts him higher on my list. omg, I rewinded that part like 5 times it was so funny. Even if he is a crappy actor, he's good at acting gay. :lol
yes! :lol :lol :lol I agree!

laisydaisycat

Post by laisydaisycat » Apr 13th, '06, 05:59

All of you who say that LDG can't act... have you seen Lovers in Paris? (I know at least one of you have.)

That was where I first saw his acting, and I was very impressed. I'm still going through Sweet 18 (one of the main reasons I got this set was because of LDG), but the story doesn't appeal to me too much (and the main heroine is annoying). I think he just needs more roles like the one he had in LiP to flex his acting chops.

azndgn26

Post by azndgn26 » Apr 14th, '06, 02:17

VietZeus wrote:I saw this guy acted in Let's go to school, Sang-Doo and Sweet 18. He has the same acting "skills". I saw him displayed the same acting "skillz" in the movie "my boyfriend is type B"

Do y'all feel me?

I agree with every word!!! Man, the first time I saw him was in Let's Go to School Sang Doo, his acting was so horrible, he puts no emotions in anything and I've watched him in Sweet 18 & My Boyfriend is Type B, not to mention his looks but my god I couldn't stand his face! Bi and Gong Hyo Jin lightened up Let's Go to School Sang Doo and that was the reason I watched it. Another actor that gets me pissed off with his non-talent acting and unappealing face is the 2nd lead guy in Prince's First Love...they both have something in common.

weirdo90

Post by weirdo90 » Apr 14th, '06, 23:13

azndgn26 wrote:

Do y'all feel me?

I agree with every word!!! Man, the first time I saw him was in Let's Go to School Sang Doo, his acting was so horrible, he puts no emotions in anytime and I've watched him in Sweet 18 & My Boyfriend is Type B, not to mention his looks but my god I couldn't stand his face! Bi and Gong Hyo Jin lightened up Let's Go to School Sang Doo and that was the reason I watched it. Another actor that gets me pissed off with his non-talent acting and unappealing face is the 2nd lead guy in Prince's First Love...they both have something in common.
i agree with you. yeah. i don't think he can act. he doesn't put his feelings and personality of the character into it. his scenes to me are very boring. robotic i think is not the word though. i think he should go to acting school to improve or something. rain/bi is a natural. you could tell. i know it's very cliche but i believe it to be a fact.

szne09

Post by szne09 » May 23rd, '06, 16:19

hi,

i actually think he's a great actor, it just so happened that the earlier roles he got were quite similar with one another.

you should all try checking out his newest drama, 'smile again'...he plays a very different character there (kind of a bad boy but with a hidden heart) opposite kim hee sun. i hope that'd somehow change the minds of those who think his acting's robotic. :-)

azndgn26

Post by azndgn26 » May 23rd, '06, 19:54

szne09 wrote:hi,

i actually think he's a great actor, it just so happened that the earlier roles he got were quite similar with one another.

you should all try checking out his newest drama, 'smile again'...he plays a very different character there (kind of a bad boy but with a hidden heart) opposite kim hee sun. i hope that'd somehow change the minds of those who think his acting's robotic. :-)
actually I've watched him in his new drama Smile Again and there were no difference to his acting in his previous dramas. He also makes those same face expressions...he just seems like a dull actor...

bugsie

Post by bugsie » May 23rd, '06, 20:03

this guy really needs more spanking to acquire new acting skills.

COME HERE AND I'LL GIVE IT TO YOU LITTLE MAN! :fight:
:lol

azndgn26

Post by azndgn26 » May 23rd, '06, 20:37

chunu wrote:well I could think of a worser actor/actress then he
is...ME...hehe...forget about video cameras...I freeze
just taking pictures!!! :crazy:

I don't think LDG or anyone's a bad actor/actress cause
they made it into movies/dramas..etc...they will be better
later. I just don't think it's right to critize ANYONE...I'm sure
he gave his best. :wub:
I disagree, I've seen others who just dunno how to act such as Sung Yuri, her acting was so horrible in Prince's FIrst Love and the only reason she has a role in the drama is because of her popularity as a singer. I guess u can say that actors and actresses improve on their acting skills as they complete more films but LDG has been in the acting business for more than 5 years and has filmed more than 13 series. I mean come on, it's ok when u're new and u're just starting out but this guy just ODs on his acting. I try to find a positive about him but there just seems to be nothing. It annoys me to know that fact that his stardom is rising and that he had recieved previous awards as best dressed, most popular, best actor, best star, and best 10 star. :glare: :x
Last edited by azndgn26 on May 23rd, '06, 20:51, edited 1 time in total.

haezi

Post by haezi » May 23rd, '06, 20:42

i agree that he hasn't really evolved as an actor. he's definitely typecast and I doubt we will see any 180 degrees from him.
i'm not really a fan nor an anti, since he's a bit too pretty for me, but, in his defense, i would say that he's very natural in his mannerisms. i don't really see how he's robotic because i know a few guys whose mannerisms are similar. he's very accustomed to the way he handles his body, as most mainstream actors are. in that sense, i'd say he's a decent, run-of-the-mill actor. he's no edward norton, that's for sure. but you can't really expect more from someone who stars in trendy dramas, right? i think he carries his roles well enough.

emykina

Post by emykina » May 23rd, '06, 20:50

he's cute. so wutt? the bad actin covered by his cuteness hehehe

azndgn26

Post by azndgn26 » May 23rd, '06, 20:56

emykina wrote:he's cute. so wutt? the bad actin covered by his cuteness hehehe
exactly my point, some people are only praised by their looks and not their skills. Although I dun think he has any looks but the problem is that people always consider the the beauty before the skills. Just as if someone can't act at all and the audience would be fine with it and praise him for his looks which is unfair to those who can actually act.

szne09

Post by szne09 » May 28th, '06, 09:44

But I guess he wouldn't be given such recognition if these award-giving bodies didn't see something in him...

Well, then again, to each is own..

KoreanMania

Post by KoreanMania » May 28th, '06, 10:12

szne09 wrote:But I guess he wouldn't be given such recognition if these award-giving bodies didn't see something in him...

Well, then again, to each is own..
I really agree with you...Each actors have their own unique way of acting, and I cannot imagine the day when he changes his style of acting... it'll be weird then... :roll That's what makes Lee Dong Gun, Lee Dong Gun... :wub: :wub: :wub:

szne09

Post by szne09 » May 29th, '06, 01:49

I really agree with you...Each actors have their own unique way of acting, and I cannot imagine the day when he changes his style of acting... it'll be weird then... :roll That's what makes Lee Dong Gun, Lee Dong Gun... :wub: :wub: :wub:
Right back at ya :-) I also like other actors who have their own trademarks as well...I mean when a person looks sad, that is how s/he looks sad whichever drama or movie s/he is in...as long as that particular scene requires the same emotion. Or when a person cries, is angry, and the like...

lilswtangel
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by lilswtangel » May 29th, '06, 02:10

I think LDG's a great actor! He sure had me fooled in the last episode of LIP~

bugsie

Post by bugsie » May 29th, '06, 04:59

lilswtangel wrote:I think LDG's a great actor! He sure had me fooled in the last episode of LIP~
lol, he also got me fooled there. maybe the roles the he is getting are just invariant.

crazylife123
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by crazylife123 » May 29th, '06, 05:05

Bad acting or not...he has a very cute girlfriend.

lilswtangel
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by lilswtangel » May 29th, '06, 05:15

crazylife123 wrote:Bad acting or not...he has a very cute girlfriend.
ho ho! i second that notion! :cheers:

szne09

Post by szne09 » May 29th, '06, 09:03

lilswtangel wrote:
ho ho! i second that notion! :cheers:
hahaha! and they look great together :D

Cleo

Post by Cleo » Jul 14th, '06, 22:13

Hahaha, your description is so true! But still I liked him in Sweet 18 and I hated him in Type B, so I guess he can still act a bit!

Gi-Ma-Mi
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Gi-Ma-Mi » Jul 14th, '06, 22:19

wonder who's his gf?

Cleo

Post by Cleo » Jul 14th, '06, 22:29

Han Jy Hye, his co-actress from sweet 18

DanHee

Post by DanHee » Jul 25th, '06, 21:38

Whats that for a stupid thread?!
Lee Dong Gun is a great actor, if he can't act, who else can? Rain? Song Hye Kyo? -Don't make me laught

Nakiatala

Post by Nakiatala » May 26th, '07, 12:39

Why talk stuff about rain and song hyo gyo?

I loved both of them in full house. Rain is an excellent actor. That and he's willing to take on very different roles instead of the same generic crap like everyone else. he went from sangdoo, lee young jae, bok gu then il-soon in cyborg. So laugh all you want but he's one of the few who can back up his career with great acting skills. :whistling:

LDG is a fave actor of mine. I loved him in sangdoo (first time i saw him) and sweet 18 was very comical. I'm about to watch in love like them, I hear he did an amazing job for only a four ep drama. That and he's trying something new instead of the normal (i'm the hearthrob) stuff. :thumright:

gotfryrice

Post by gotfryrice » Jun 2nd, '07, 03:36

I disagree, I've seen others who just dunno how to act such as Sung Yuri, her acting was so horrible in Prince's FIrst Love and the only reason she has a role in the drama is because of her popularity as a singer. I guess u can say that actors and actresses improve on their acting skills as they complete more films but LDG has been in the acting business for more than 5 years and has filmed more than 13 series. I mean come on, it's ok when u're new and u're just starting out but this guy just ODs on his acting. I try to find a positive about him but there just seems to be nothing. It annoys me to know that fact that his stardom is rising and that he had recieved previous awards as best dressed, most popular, best actor, best star, and best 10 star. :glare: :x
are you kidding? Sung Yuri is a great actress. I'm guessing you havent seen the Snow Queen.

kobe23

Post by kobe23 » Jun 2nd, '07, 15:07

Hmm....I never knew so many people thought LDG's acting is bad. I don't really think he's good, but he isn't exactly bad either. At least, not in the Dennis O'Neil type of bad anyway. But then, I haven't seen Sangdoo yet.

chicann

Post by chicann » Jun 8th, '07, 12:10

He portrayed his character really well in Lovers in Paris. I emphatized with him then. But yeah I guess he does have some mannerisms that comes through with each role or character he plays.

I also loved his "gay acting" in My Boyfriend is type B. It was sooo hilarious!

lucybobby

Post by lucybobby » Nov 15th, '08, 10:53

LDG is great in Lover in Paris, same goes in Sweet 18, love him in both, he doesn't look like your typical heartthrob but his acting is more than fine. So what if he pick up his calls in a certain way? That's his style