Tweaking Bittorrent - How To Configure Bittorrent

Read the FAQ in here first then post your questions here if it doesn't help you.
tsubasadesu

Post by tsubasadesu » Jan 30th, '05, 07:02

oh my friggin' gosh this is so frustrating....

i've done the port forwarding thing for:

my windows firewall
abc
bittorrent
bittornado
and on the linksys admin page thing
...and still same problem: failing the NAT check.

here's a question though...
when i'm doing the port forwarding thing on the linksys page....all the guides that i've read say to 'type in the ip address'. but the first three octets are already in there: the 192...blah blah blah one. however what i'm i supposed to use for the last octet?
i'm HOPING thats what i'm doing wrong.
if that doesn't work i'll try a defrag.
if that doesn't work...i'll just have to put up with taking a couple weeks to download a normal sized batchfile. *sigh*

the thing i don't understand is that (before i even tried messing with any of this) on abc all the torrents i were downloading where the green color...and all getting over 20kB/s. one was even clocking over 150kB/s. it stayed that way (for two days) until I rebooted. so i started up abc again and everything went back to the yellow-super-slow mode. i totally don't get it.
i think i just need to throw my computer away and move back to japan and watch all the drama i want until my eyes explode mwuahahaha!!
*sniff*

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Jan 30th, '05, 12:28

tsubasadesu: first of all, i usually recommend disabling windows xp firewall (you can google on how to disable it). most people do not recommend it. if you want to use a decent firewall, just use the zonealarm free one.

the other thing you may not have done is configure a STATIC IP ADDRESS for your computer (not your router). there's a section in portforward.com that tells you how. some people have told me that they configured everything but the static ip, and when the router assigns your computer a different ip, all the configs become useless.

tsubasadesu

Post by tsubasadesu » Jan 30th, '05, 15:10

jholic: thanks for the reply and advice! i'll definitely try those ideas out!!
btw, which bt client do you use? i've been using abc, but considering switching to something else. whats your recommendation?

thank you!

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Jan 31st, '05, 02:26

tsuba: got your pm. glad it worked for you.

currently, i'm using bittornado. very user- and tracker-friendly. but i do notice that the later versions have been taking up a bit more memory with every window that opens (btornado opens a different window for every torrent you ul/dl). so i've been thinking of switching to abc or azureus.

Desiderata

Post by Desiderata » Jan 31st, '05, 04:50

I read through the thread, and tried to glean the information I need, but I could well have missed something. I am incredibly slow when it comes to computers.

I'm lucky if my DL speed is 10k on a T1 and UL speeds are usually around 50-80 at least. I used NatCheck with the standard port config (6881), and failed. I checked my settings, and I appear to be running on something like port 22728. BitComet is on my firewall exceptions list, and it shows 22728 as being its port. BitComet logs that my firewall port is open. I retried NatCheck with the odd port config, and it again said that I failed, but noted this time that I had a connection that timed out (which doesn't really surprise me, because my BT connections "time out" all the time). I disabled my firewall completely, and it passed NatCheck.

So I guess the question becomes: is it my XP firewall that is screwing me up, or is it the fact that my port setting is odd (and seems to be the same setting for multiple torrents)? Should I try resetting BitComet for the 6881-6999 range--which it doesn't seem to give me the option for--or is there some way to un-stupid my firewall, and I just didn't understand it? Thanks to anybody who can figure out what I'm talking about.

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Jan 31st, '05, 23:01

Desiderata: if you passed nat w/o the xp firewall, it most definitely is the fw that is messing you up. again, i would suggest diabling xp firewall and using something a bit better like zonealarm.

i have not learned enough of the bitcomet app to give you suggestions on it. i would say try something like btornado or abc, and see if that works better. as i understand it, bcomet will attempt to find ANY port to send/receive data. i'm not sure if that's a good or bad thing. as far as i know, you do not need to uninstall comet when you install another client, so you can just try it out and see how it works out for you.

Dodbos

Post by Dodbos » Feb 5th, '05, 06:23

does anyone know how to figure out what your password is for your router thing?

senakun

Post by senakun » Feb 5th, '05, 13:49

hey Dodbos,

from my experience, if the router still has the default password u can look it up on google. like for a linksys router u go: "linksys default password" i have a linksys and for that, u leave the username blank and the pasword is "admin"

if it's not using the default password and u have no way of figuring it out, u might have to reset the router to factory settings. but then you might have to set it up again or ur internet won't work. check for the manual on the manufactuer's website.

kalau

Tweeking BT

Post by kalau » Feb 5th, '05, 23:56

Hi ALL,
I've read thru the 6 pages of greats tips and tried to do what I understood. I failed the NAT test and hence am still crawling at 1-10kb/s. HELP!!! In my current status, I'm connected via cable modem and I currently do not have any router. Firewall? I don't think I have any installed...my OS is windows 2000. Is there a way to find out? Could it be that my ISP has some sort of blockage? I keep seeing suggestions to "open ports" Does that apply to me. Any suggestions to get my dl speed above the speed limit would be GREATLY appreciated! :cry:

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Feb 6th, '05, 10:02

kalau: sometimes, your cable modem doubles as a firewall or router. you may want to call your isp and double-check. i don't think win2000 has a default firewall, but you may want to check by going to 'control panel', 'network connections'.

chaotic_dementia

Post by chaotic_dementia » Feb 7th, '05, 05:12

NAT checking - when to do it?

I've forwarded ports to my router. My downloads are all green. I can get at most 55 kB/s; average 10kB/s. Does that mean I'm configured all right?

Also:
If I'm a single seeder uploading at most 15-17 kB/s with no other downloads or uploads, does that mean that that's the max upload speed?

kalau

Post by kalau » Feb 7th, '05, 06:04

I've check internet connections on my computer and there is no firewall present. Also called ISP and they said there is currently no firewall installed. Is there anything else I can do?

Quick question, I did the NAT test and failed miserably. I got the hash id okay, but was not sure which port to enter. How do I get that info? I'm curently using ABC. Am I correct to assume that for each torrent I do a NAT check on, there should be a diff hash id and port number?

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Feb 7th, '05, 09:19

chaotic: you can do a nat check while you are dl'ing. you just need the info for the nat check, and you can perform the nat check.
i cannot tell you what you max dl/ul speeds are. call your isp, ask them what your max speeds are. the number they give you will be in KILOBITS. you divide this number by eight to get to KILOBITS. that will be your max bt speeds.
kalau wrote:Quick question, I did the NAT test and failed miserably. I got the hash id okay, but was not sure which port to enter. How do I get that info? I'm curently using ABC. Am I correct to assume that for each torrent I do a NAT check on, there should be a diff hash id and port number?
not sure about abc, but under 'details', you usually can get the hash_info. if you click on 'advanced info', you can find out what port the torrent is listening on. perhaps you need to right-click on the torrent.

kalau

Post by kalau » Feb 8th, '05, 00:32

jholic-THANKS for the help so far! I know my download is 3-4MB and Upload is 400KB. Yesterday, I hit a torrent that had my dl running at 80kb/s!!!!! OMG! That is the first time EVER! So, does that means that there is nothing wrong w/ my client and the other torrents crawling at 1-10kb/s are actually due to the other end?

I also want to take this opportunity to THANK each and every person who contributed to this forum! It really helps us Newbies out ALOT!! It's amazing the information that is available. And all in "Bit torrent for dummies" version! Hahah!

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Feb 8th, '05, 03:46

kalau wrote:jholic-THANKS for the help so far! I know my download is 3-4MB and Upload is 400KB. Yesterday, I hit a torrent that had my dl running at 80kb/s!!!!! OMG! That is the first time EVER! So, does that means that there is nothing wrong w/ my client and the other torrents crawling at 1-10kb/s are actually due to the other end?
for your slow torrents, how many seeds/peers are there?

also, did you pass the nat check on any of your torrents. if not, then you may still not be hitting your desired speed - and, believe it or not, you may actually be slowing down the overall speed of your torrent. hopefully, we can make sure you're configured once and for all....

kalau

Post by kalau » Feb 8th, '05, 04:26

I did the NAT check...and if i did it correctly, I failed miserably each time! The only thing I was unsure about was the port. I currently have my ports set to 6890 to 6999. I got the hash id okay, but couldn't figure how to see which port was used by each torrent (sine they are serial right). So, I just entered port 6890 for the first torrent and it's corresponding hash id (got from right click on active torrent). ..and next torrent i used port 6891 and its corresponding hash id and so on. And all failed the NAT check!

The number of seeders for the slow torrents range from 2-10 seeders. But that one torrent I mentioned that was dling at 80kb/s only had 2 seeders. So it's taking me days to dl 700MB! HELP!

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Feb 8th, '05, 04:46

kalau: it's pretty important that you find out which port your torrent is on. otherwise, the nat check will not perform correctly. i suggest you google for 'how to find port numbers on abc' or something like that.

also, what color are the torrents (text) in? green, yellow, red, blue, etc?

kalau

Post by kalau » Feb 8th, '05, 07:08

OK jholic! I feel like I'm one step closer to the finish line. I just switched bt client to BitComet and used one fo the random ports to do the NAT check on the active torrents and I PASSED! So where do I go from here. dl speeds are somewhat faster...around 15kb/s. Can I get to go faster?

chaotic_dementia

Post by chaotic_dementia » Feb 8th, '05, 08:24

Thanks jholic.

I did the NAT check and I passed both times so I am confirmed that I'm configured correctly.

As for finding out which ports are being used, since I have NIS2004, I simply looked it up under Detailed Statistics of Intrusion Alert or whatever it is.

I recall that you can check which ports are being used with Zone Alarm as well.

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Feb 8th, '05, 13:48

chaotic: glad things are working out for you.

kalau: it seems that you're configured and on your way. i personally prefer bittornado, but if you're doing well w/ bitcomet, then more power to you. good luck dl'ing, and don't forget to SHARE!

kalau

Post by kalau » Feb 9th, '05, 00:15

thanks jholic! I will give bittornado a try. I have no loyalties to any of the clients just yet. I have yet to reach my maximum dl rate. Need some more tweeking and a lot more reading! But thanks for getting me starting. And don't worry, once I get everything set up I will do my part in re-contributions!

midnightblue

Post by midnightblue » Feb 15th, '05, 03:03

I came across a program that checks NAT for compatibility with p2p. Start it at the command line in a dos window. Maybe it's useful to someone.

http://midcom-p2p.sourceforge.net/
http://midcom-p2p.sourceforge.net/natcheck.exe

PhoenixNL72

Post by PhoenixNL72 » Feb 15th, '05, 17:24

change your port range!
A lot of ISP's have started to throttle speeds on standardly used Peer 2 Peer protocol ports. Including the standard bittorrent range of 6881-6889 try something like 45432-45450 so a random range in the high port ranges. ISP's can't throttle all the ports out there. Bittorrent will even work better when you use a non standard range! And there are legio trackers out there that don't even let clients that use the default range connect to them! (port blacklisted errors are shown in your client)

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Feb 16th, '05, 03:18

if you change your port range, you should also remember to forward the same ports from your router to your computer. (and also open them up in your firewall if necessary).

smile

[b]help with port forwarding[/b]

Post by smile » Feb 18th, '05, 08:09

i did followed their steps but i got lost ..my router is D-Link Di-604..it told me to enter the name of service i want fwd, but what name?? i dont get that and private port and public port..i basically dont get all of the things i require to fill in[[/b]

p.s. is port forwarding use to speed up d/l speed?

Smiley_18

Re: [b]help with port forwarding[/b]

Post by Smiley_18 » Feb 18th, '05, 08:15

smile wrote:i did followed their steps but i got lost ..my router is D-Link Di-604..it told me to enter the name of service i want fwd, but what name?? i dont get that and private port and public port..i basically dont get all of the things i require to fill in[[/b]

p.s. is port forwarding use to speed up d/l speed?
You may want to check out this page. http://support.dlink.com/faq/view.asp?p ... outers#604

The name you can called it "BT". Private ip, which is the ip YOUR computer is on. You can try and enter "80" for both private and public ports.

Hope this helps/

oct_7

Post by oct_7 » Mar 13th, '05, 11:51

Hi,

Can somebody help me with this? Ok basically, I am using azureus, on win2k. I installed zonealarm, AVG as my AV engine (No Norton product installed), and using DI-624+ (I think should be the same as DI-624). I have just got the prob with slow speed recently. Both my torrent and emule. My computer is used as the gateway for my network (if i understand it right, I am not behind the DI-624+ router). Anyway, I have forwarded the port, set my ip in the DMZ (means I am exposed to the internet with out the router).

My health is always green, but the speed is suck. Then I tried the hash check from the first page of this thread, but I failed it.

For zoneAlarm, in the program control, I have made Java **** and azureus have the full access (Access and Server, both internet and trusted zone all allow). Before I re format my hd, I used ZoneAlarm before, and didnt face any problem.

Can someone shed some light here?

Oh yeah, I have just re installed every thing as my hd crashed last week, and the prob started from there.

Thank you very much, I am quite desperate here, dl an episode of anime took me more than 5 hours.

Regards.

PhoenixNL72

Post by PhoenixNL72 » Mar 13th, '05, 18:04

If I remember correctly in zone alarm just setting a program to act as both server and client isn't enough. You have to open the Bittorrent port range for the program I think. Anyway I think there's a section on firewall setups on the portforward site too if I'm not mistaken.

ShanJai

Post by ShanJai » Mar 31st, '05, 09:46

OMG... You have no idea how grateful I am to this thread! ^___^ After months of very slow downloading, I tried port forwarding... And my downloads are faster! Plus, the yellow light turned green (I'm using Bit Tornado). It's definitely a big help. :D

PhoenixNL72

Post by PhoenixNL72 » Mar 31st, '05, 22:26

I'm happy if I was of any help to you ^^

yo_wazzup41

Post by yo_wazzup41 » Apr 6th, '05, 09:58

hi ppl im a newbie here n im not dat export on computer ,ive read some of the passage on how to work on bit torrent but i still dont get it,hope some1 can help me :-(
1.i would like to ask how do we upload a file through bitcomet?is bit comet the same thing as but torrent?
2.i would like to ask what is the use of seed?is it if we hav more seeds we can download morea faster?
3.if we dont have enough seed where can we get it from?
i know its a lot of question,but i hope somebody can help me thx a lot

greatdeft

Post by greatdeft » Apr 6th, '05, 11:49

1. I think you should check out this page it might be useful. http://www.d-addicts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1828
2. I think seeds does make the file faster to download because more seed means more people uploading
3. Usually, if you dont have enough any seed for the file that you are downloading, you have to ask some ppl to seed them for u.

PhoenixNL72

Post by PhoenixNL72 » Apr 6th, '05, 23:19

1: To upload a new torrent you have to make one using a torrent file creation program like 'Maketorrent v2.1' details on what to put in the maketorrents Announce URL field(This is the address of the tracker server machine that is to handle the torrent) can be found under the upload explenation on this site. To post a torrent here you have to use the Announce URL for the D-Addicts tracker which is: "http://d-addicts.net:7979/announce" (without the double quotes offcourse). Once you have uploaded the torrent file to the D-Addicts website you will have to 'SEED' it until other people have a complete copy of the file(s) data. To do this you just open the torrent file in bitcomet and set it's save folder to your complete copy of the files. Or alternatively you can copy your original files to your BitComet download folder before opening the torrentfile. You might have to tell BitComet to 'Rehash' the data for it to recognize that it's a finished download. I'm not sure about that I'm not using that program myself. Once the bitcomet program is seeding you just have to wait till there are enough other people who have become seeds. If you want to reseed an existing torrent you just do the final part from the previous explanation. Open the torrent file and point it to your allready complete copy and maybe do a rehash. Then wait while bitcomet starts sending out pieces to other people.
2: A 'seed' is more or less a different word for someone who has a complete copy of the file(s) in a torrent. So without seeds you can not download at all. (Unless there is a complete copy of all the file data spreadout over all the downloaders connected to a torrent of which none actually have the entire torrent completely downloaded. This is called 'Distributed Copies' which you could interpred as a spread out seed. Imagine you have a full deck of cards which is 52 cards in total. And you give 52 people each a card. Together you have a full deck but everyone on it's own only has 1 card=1piece)
So as long as there are 'Distributed Copies' or at least 1 seed you can download the entire torrent. If there aren't you can only download part of it.

yo_wazzup41

Post by yo_wazzup41 » Apr 9th, '05, 07:05

thx a lot ppl :D

in here i also would like to ask a question again, that is are there anyways to speed up the downloading besides uploading the stuff in bittorrent?thx for replying

PhoenixNL72

Post by PhoenixNL72 » Apr 13th, '05, 13:30

If you are not having firewall or router problems which cause slow speed, and you are using a non standard port range in the clients setting (Any 10 port range between 40000 and 60000 will do for that. That is nescessary cause a lot of Internet Service Providers limit speeds on the normal bittorrent ports these days!) then not really. Only option is to ask others who allready have the file to help seed. Offcourse raising your own upload speed for a torrent might help but don't set your total upload speed (So from all open clients combined if you use a client like Bittornado. If you use Bitcomet of Azureus you are only using one open client) at more then about 80% of your maximum upload speed. If you fillout your upload capacity too much you will be drowning your download cause downloading needs a little upload speed to report back to the internet on the status.

If you are not sure if you have a firewalled/router problem then check some older posts in this thread. If you are using Bittornado as client then you can easily verify if this is the case though. If the big lamp icon on the top right side of the program window remains yellow all the time then you have a firewall/router problem. If it turns green after a while then you do not.

pwyy

Post by pwyy » Apr 27th, '05, 14:39

Wonder if anyone can help (please help).. I have a adsl connection. My service provider send me the adsl box/terminal and it's configured to have firewall. Problem is, I'm not allowed to change that adsl terminal configuration (no access rights). I suppose that means I cannot do the port forwarding as everyone suggested? Is there anything else I can do? My dl speed is so slow now, and with BitTordano the light is always yellow.

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Apr 28th, '05, 06:19

pwyy wrote:Problem is, I'm not allowed to change that adsl terminal configuration (no access rights).
are you saying that your 'terminal' has a firewall or serves as a router?? if so, you SHOULD have admin rights. call your isp and double-check. are the rules different in finland?

chit87

static address

Post by chit87 » May 6th, '05, 03:38

hii i'm new and i want to try out port forwarding for my router since.. i'm downloading at like 3 kb/s. umm, while i was reading portforwarding.com... it mentioned how i would need to assign static ip addresses to all the computers that share the router. do i really need to? can i just do one for myself? i don't think my brothers really want to get a static ip assigned to their computers. please help?

starlight_aur0ra

Post by starlight_aur0ra » May 6th, '05, 06:52

Using shareaza for my torrent files... is it a good idea? Cause i'm getting like 50++ kb/s on some DLs and <1 kb/s on others :-(

i failed the check thingy but dont know how to configure the client.. could anyone pls suggest sth? like a change in client?
pls...

silverscorpion

Can anyone help me??

Post by silverscorpion » May 12th, '05, 00:48

I'm a new user of azureus newest version..i'm having problem to download the drama..the health is always yellow colour and it never turn green..i know it's a problem of NAT error but i just can't configurate my router..i tried everything i could but i failed..i'm currently using D-LINK 500T ADSL router..i would much appreciate if anyone can help me..i've been working on it for days.. :-( ..but still it can't work..i really hope someone can help me here..

gonecase321

pls help!

Post by gonecase321 » May 12th, '05, 13:51

hello all. i am a newbie with computers so i really require help from you all. you see my download rate is really terrible, much less than the upload rate, about only 3kb/s. the green light is always on. however, the real problem is that i don't have a router or a firewall. so what can be the problem? i use a modem by the way, speed touch USB

love-at_Dolphin_Bay

HELP

Post by love-at_Dolphin_Bay » May 16th, '05, 05:22

HELP HELP !

I AM REALLY INTERESTED IN THIS WEBSITE, BUT TOO BUSY TO RUN AROUND TO LOOK FOR HOW TO USE BITTORENT, EVEN THOUGH I TRIED, BUT COULD NOT CATCH WHAT IS GIVEN HERE!

SO PLEASE HELP US BY GIVING CONCRETE STEPS FOR NEW COMERS:

STEP BY STEP

WHAT TO DO FIRST? REGISTER

WHAT TO DO NEXT? TO DOWNLOAD BITCOMET /BITTORNADO???

AND THEN WHAT ????????????????????

PLEASE GIVE ADVICE IN CONCRETE WAY, NOT WASTING SO MUCH TIME OF SO MANY NEW MEMBERS.

THE ABOVE IS MY SINCERE RECOMMENDATION. HOPE TO GET YOUR KIND HELP

THANKS SO MUCH

silverscorpion

Post by silverscorpion » May 16th, '05, 17:15

love-at_Dolphin_Bay

anyway..i'm also a new user in torrent file..but i manage to get it downloading...(finally after trying many days)..so i hope i could help out some new users cos it's quite tiring to get to know what it's all about..it takes me days to figure out it..i'm not expert or what..but just trying to help here..so anyway
it start with...u have to download sofware for torrent...(there's a lot of types of software)..bit torrent, bit comet,abc,azureus,bit tornado and actually many more software...

you can find bit torrent and bit comet here
http://www.download.com/3120-20_4-0.htm ... t&tg=dl-20

after downloading the sofware...u need to find torrent files...in the web...just like what we have here in d-addicts...a lot of dramas...just download it and open torrent in the software that u're using...and that's all...it will start downloading...

p/s: there may be a problem with NAT error or something..that u have to do port forwarding...that'll be kind of long to explain so try ur luck in these few steps first...
wish u all the best and happy downloading... :D ...( really hope the information i provide could help u even a little )... :D [/quote]

yt_toshi
Virgin Islands (USA)

Post by yt_toshi » May 16th, '05, 17:39

@love-at_Dolphin_Bay

Please don't use CAPS to explain your problem because you make sound like your yelling at people for help.

Now, are you using a firewall? If yes, then just look at the section where Ruroshin talks about configurating the firewall for your specific model. If no, then skip the rest of the message unless you're interested in how bit torrent works.

Since it sounds like you don't have a firewall, follow what silverscorpion said and that's it.

ItsPiyo

about portforwarding

Post by ItsPiyo » May 16th, '05, 17:48

for anyone who have problem with their firewall
just go thru this website and adjust your setting and your yellow light will be gone =)

http://portforward.com/routers.htm

kwan

Yellow to Green plz

Post by kwan » May 17th, '05, 12:25

Can someone wise reading this be kind enough to give me some advise or guidance?

I'm using bittornado. After reading much of the msg in this thread, i still can't help myself out.

Problem - still yellow lamp on all my downloads

Methods tried - switching off my winXP firewall
- change ports in bittornado from 10000-60000(default setting) to
10000-10010
- adding those ports to my firewall in winXP

Conclusion - No changes to the lamp colour in bittornado, and failed NAT check

Any idea? Suggestion? Much appreciated. Thx in advance :-)

ItsPiyo

its about port forwarding

Post by ItsPiyo » May 17th, '05, 18:58

not the adjustment thru your window's firewall
follow thru the link i gave you, select what type of router you have, then go thru the process, its very easy. if you still can't adjust it thru the website i gave out, then you just need to keep on reading it.

cause that link is a step by step, teaches you how to adjust your router
if you have the time posting, you will have the time reading thru the website i gave out earlier

kwan

Green lamp

Post by kwan » May 18th, '05, 05:33

Thx ItsPiyo for your helpful reply! :-)

After going all thru the steps, i finally get my green lamp from yellow. The download rate as expected, became faster. But it's kinda strange, cause according to these situation, i should pass my NAT check.But it turn out "failed".

Do anyone have any comments about the above?

Note: I didn't use a router. I just have an ADSL modem. So before that i thought i don't need to do the configuration as guided in portforward.com. It's obvious that i'm "green" in computer knowledge. Thx again ItsPiyo for your precious help!

kwan

Post by kwan » May 18th, '05, 07:00

ah.... ! at last! pass NAT check :D

actually have to forward UDP and TCP port together. Before this i just forward the TCP port. No wonder i failed my NAT check. :P

ItsPiyo

Post by ItsPiyo » May 19th, '05, 15:44

Congrat on your green light, i am sure your really happy :w00t:

wuji33

help! guidance needed.tq

Post by wuji33 » May 19th, '05, 19:48

hi, i`m a newbie here and would like to request help and guidance in tweaking my torrent. i`ve tried to to do configuration for router/modem, static ip and port forwarding but i still unable to pass the NAT test. is it possible that i miss out something important here?

i`m using zte modem/router, winME, bitcomet client. just to confirm that the local ip setting for port forwarding is my static ip is it correct? and any idea about the bitcomet port setting?

thank you very much.

chien

Post by chien » May 29th, '05, 10:57

the light on my bittornado is green most of the time, and i'm quite sure i'm not behind any sort of firewall. but my download rates are really slow and i failed the nat check. i know it's not good but i'm not using a router, just a normal ADSL modem. is there any way to get a better rate or am i missing out on something?

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » May 30th, '05, 11:06

what torrent? how many seeders? how many peers?

chien

Post by chien » May 31st, '05, 06:35

for torrents with very little seeds/peers, the download rates are usually down to a crawl, around 1-3 kB/s only...for well seeded torrents, i can usually get from 10-20 kB/s. Highest rates i ever got was 50kB/s.

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Jun 1st, '05, 05:41

chien: what are you supposed to be getting? did you read our 'slow downloads' section of the FAQ?

VIDEO/TORRENT RELATED FAQ

dreni

Post by dreni » Jun 5th, '05, 18:56

help!!

I've been reading this stuff
and well I'm only living here for the summer

i am not "connectable" and I've turned off my firewall

I don't know what numbers to put in for my portforwarding and firewall settings

I have this http://www.portforward.com/dlink/di-604.htm router.

I am using ABC and I am using the ports 6880 - 7000.

Can someone please tell me what numbers to put into configure my router? and for which fields?

4EvErLoVeYoU

Re: REPLY

Post by 4EvErLoVeYoU » Jun 8th, '05, 04:02

silverscorpion wrote:love-at_Dolphin_Bay

anyway..i'm also a new user in torrent file..but i manage to get it downloading...(finally after trying many days)..so i hope i could help out some new users cos it's quite tiring to get to know what it's all about..it takes me days to figure out it..i'm not expert or what..but just trying to help here..so anyway
it start with...u have to download sofware for torrent...(there's a lot of types of software)..bit torrent, bit comet,abc,azureus,bit tornado and actually many more software...

you can find bit torrent and bit comet here

after downloading the sofware...u need to find torrent files...in the web...just like what we have here in d-addicts...a lot of dramas...just download it and open torrent in the software that u're using...and that's all...it will start downloading...

p/s: there may be a problem with NAT error or something..that u have to do port forwarding...that'll be kind of long to explain so try ur luck in these few steps first...
wish u all the best and happy downloading... :D ...( really hope the information i provide could help u even a little )... :D
[/quote]

I'm new here too so need all kind of help from everyone...There so many bitorrent version from the website above, which once I need to dl. and is that mean I have to dl bittorent and bitcomet?thanks

:bunny:
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by :bunny: » Jun 8th, '05, 04:07

4EvErLoVeYoU wrote:I'm new here too so need all kind of help from everyone...There so many bitorrent version from the website above, which once I need to dl. and is that mean I have to dl bittorent and bitcomet?thanks
just either one is fine. most people are using azureus/bitcomet :)

:bunny:
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by :bunny: » Jun 8th, '05, 04:11

dreni wrote:help!!

I've been reading this stuff
and well I'm only living here for the summer

i am not "connectable" and I've turned off my firewall

I don't know what numbers to put in for my portforwarding and firewall settings

I have this http://www.portforward.com/dlink/di-604.htm router.

I am using ABC and I am using the ports 6880 - 7000.

Can someone please tell me what numbers to put into configure my router? and for which fields?
follow this http://www.portforward.com/english/rout ... 04/ABC.htm
but using port 6880-7000 instead of the one shown

4EvErLoVeYoU

Post by 4EvErLoVeYoU » Jun 8th, '05, 07:02

:bunny: wrote:
4EvErLoVeYoU wrote:I'm new here too so need all kind of help from everyone...There so many bitorrent version from the website above, which once I need to dl. and is that mean I have to dl bittorent and bitcomet?thanks
just either one is fine. most people are using azureus/bitcomet :)
After I dl bitcomet than I have to find the series that I want to dl and just click on that link? will that lead me to where it going to dl the series. How do I know when it done dl and how do I open to watch it?

ekn

Post by ekn » Jun 11th, '05, 09:04

Hi!

Im experiencing slow dl and fast ul with my bitcomet. Yes i have done port forwarding and disabling my firewall but i still cant receive fast dl. I failed the NATtest also. Im using a modem/router DSL-504g.

PS: Ive spent the whole day working on this problem and reading this forum!
thanks in advance :-)

scott12199

Post by scott12199 » Jun 11th, '05, 09:40

ekn wrote:Hi!

Im experiencing slow dl and fast ul with my bitcomet. Yes i have done port forwarding and disabling my firewall but i still cant receive fast dl. I failed the NATtest also. Im using a modem/router DSL-504g.

PS: Ive spent the whole day working on this problem and reading this forum!
thanks in advance :-)
what is your upload rate?

ekn

Post by ekn » Jun 11th, '05, 09:42

my max ul rate is 25kb but im setting it to 20k(80-90% of max) as suggested by the people from the forum

quaquaqua

Post by quaquaqua » Jun 13th, '05, 13:41

Hi guys i gt a couple of questions here. i failed the nat check n tried the instructions on portforward.com.

firstly, i think dey mentioned bout static ip. i m using broadband so the isp changes the ip from time to time. does it mean that if i hav to change the static ip from time to time?

secondly, when i almost reached the end of the instructions on portforward.com dey mentioned the settings i hav to enter but did not say about the ip. for the ip i had to enter sth like this 192.168.2.XXX but i dunno wad to put.

this is wad i mean ----
http://www.portforward.com/english/rout ... tComet.htm

my dl speeds r painfully slow (1 to 8kbps). any help will be greatly appreciated. thx :lol

enuyasha

Post by enuyasha » Jun 22nd, '05, 13:06

I don't know why but I having the same freaking problem.
God I'm soo mad, I can't get the speeds I use to have ever since I got my computer fixed!

The same configurations I've done before my computer stopped working, I'm doing with the one that's fixed.
Why isn't it working? :glare: It should've worked arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

and I've read the faqs/sticky/threads related to bt config and found nothing new that I already know.
Can somebody please help?

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Jun 23rd, '05, 07:43

router assigning your computer a different ip address?

i noticed that some people configure their computer for BT with a (router-assigned) static ip address (192.1.1.3). they restart their computer, or get a new nic card or something, then their router assigns the computer (192.1.1.5) or something.

enuyasha

Post by enuyasha » Jul 1st, '05, 14:53

jholic wrote:router assigning your computer a different ip address?

i noticed that some people configure their computer for BT with a (router-assigned) static ip address (192.1.1.3). they restart their computer, or get a new nic card or something, then their router assigns the computer (192.1.1.5) or something.
That's not it either, I check my router to see if the static ip has changed or not when I restart or turn off my computer and it doesn't.

What else is there to do?
I give up :cry: I can't figure out what the heck is wrong with the stupid router.

and I've also tried using a different client, it didn't work :glare:

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Jul 2nd, '05, 03:25

is it the router? have you tried changing your settings to default, and downloading WITHOUT the router? if speeds are better, then you know you just need to get a new router....

Chester

Post by Chester » Jul 5th, '05, 07:06

I've followed the right instructions to open certain ports through ZoneAlarm program. But I still fail NATcheck and my download rate always stays at 0KiB/s. What is actually wrong here?

Usagoness

Post by Usagoness » Jul 5th, '05, 07:53

hi.. i got one problem. i followed the instruction i portforward.com to set the static ip address. i did all the insrtuction given, put the right ip address and dns server. however, whenever i want to connect internet, it failed. i have to change the ip address back to original number.

here is the problem. i failed to set the static ip address, how can i portforward to my router? i tried once, set the ip address and didnt reconnect internet as what instructed. i tried to open web browser with ip address i had set up and the result was "cannot find server".

can someone help me with my prob? dont ask me to go to portforward.com again. i have read the articles all night long but i got nothing.

enuyasha

Post by enuyasha » Jul 5th, '05, 08:00

jholic wrote:is it the router? have you tried changing your settings to default, and downloading WITHOUT the router? if speeds are better, then you know you just need to get a new router....
How do you explain the fact that my brother's computer is working just fine?
He has the same configurations and his bt d/l speeds work :glare:

I wish there was some kind of software that tells us what the heck is wrong and helps us figure out how to port forward or whatever to get the stupid programs to work.

fluid

Post by fluid » Jul 5th, '05, 11:12

hi, okay i've read and followed all the steps on forwarding ports n static ip stuff...i took the test and passed...but the problem is my dl speed is still the same...

could anyone help me please?
thanks

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Jul 6th, '05, 01:13

fluid: if you passed the NAT check, then you're pretty much good to go. just sit tight and wait for dl speeds to improve, or more seeds.

enuyasha: if your brother is sharing the line, then is it possible he's using all the bandwidth?

fluid

Post by fluid » Jul 6th, '05, 03:43

jholic wrote:fluid: if you passed the NAT check, then you're pretty much good to go. just sit tight and wait for dl speeds to improve, or more seeds.

enuyasha: if your brother is sharing the line, then is it possible he's using all the bandwidth?
alrite..thx for replying jholic :wub:

enuyasha

Post by enuyasha » Jul 6th, '05, 19:17

jholic wrote: enuyasha: if your brother is sharing the line, then is it possible he's using all the bandwidth?
Why do you think everything is so simple, I wish it was that simple :lol
He only uses it if he's at home :P