GREATEST DVD PLAYER O_O

Discuss technical and geeky things here.
AsianblueX

GREATEST DVD PLAYER O_O

Post by AsianblueX » Jun 25th, '05, 04:11

THE LATEST and GREATEST!!!

This thing is the ****!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OPDV971H 720p/1080i HDTV-Ready DVD Player with DVI Output
Official DivX Certified™ DVD Player
http://www.oppodigital.com/

I was a major believer in the Philips DVP-642 but this thing is simply astounding!!! so much better it's unreal!!! If you are starting from scratch, save that money you would have spent on the Philips and apply it towards this!

It's more expensive but worth every penny in my book!

AMAZING!!! Check around for reviews and you'll find that it lives up to or surpasses most of the reviewers expectations.

Good Luck picking the best player for you!

O_O OMG SO SEXY

AsianblueX

Post by AsianblueX » Jun 25th, '05, 04:12

this probably will play the KDRAMAS / JDRAMAS ON THE TV OHHHHH BABBBY THIS IS LIKE THE JACKPOT!!!!!!!

i don't have this nor have i heard anyone talk about it yet so i'm not sure if its good or not

leeunit

Post by leeunit » Jun 25th, '05, 05:20

AsianblueX wrote:this probably will play the KDRAMAS / JDRAMAS ON THE TV OHHHHH BABBBY THIS IS LIKE THE JACKPOT!!!!!!!

i don't have this nor have i heard anyone talk about it yet so i'm not sure if its good or not
This is probably the first time I've ever seen anyone contradict him/her self in the same post. So is it good or not?

scott12199

Post by scott12199 » Jun 25th, '05, 08:49

Same here... i want to know if this is any good.

groink

Post by groink » Jun 25th, '05, 08:52

amiracle

Post by amiracle » Jun 25th, '05, 09:01

Are these things actually upgradable? I mean, now with the new DivX 6 (sure, it'll take some time before it becomes the standard, but still...) and probably even more new versios in the near future.

Datcyde

Post by Datcyde » Jun 25th, '05, 10:09

This is really cool. I going to buy this. Thanks AsianblueX!!!!!!

AsianblueX

Post by AsianblueX » Jun 25th, '05, 10:23

Datcyde wrote:This is really cool. I going to buy this. Thanks AsianblueX!!!!!!
no problem

wat i reallly want to know is.... WILL IT PLAY K/J-DRAMA w/ SUBS (.srt)? it'd be so cool watching dramas on my tv =)

amiracle

Post by amiracle » Jun 25th, '05, 11:29

What's wrong with tv-out?

WroW
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by WroW » Jun 25th, '05, 11:35

If you have a TV with DVI just connect your computer with it.I dont understand why you need a dvd player for that expecially since you computer will give the best quality and play all video files. :-)

Datcyde

Post by Datcyde » Jun 25th, '05, 23:34

AsianblueX wrote:
Datcyde wrote:This is really cool. I going to buy this. Thanks AsianblueX!!!!!!
no problem

wat i reallly want to know is.... WILL IT PLAY K/J-DRAMA w/ SUBS (.srt)? it'd be so cool watching dramas on my tv =)
Look where the Big Smiles are

Overview:

DVI (Digital Video Interface) output to eliminate flickers and to produce more clear pictures

* High resolutions include 480p, 540P, 576p, 720p, 1080i
* Up Convert from 480i to 720p/1080i
* DCDi by Faroudja. Video is analyzed on a single pixel granularity to detect presence or absence of angled lines and edges, which are then processed to produce a smooth natural looking image without visible artifacts (jaggies)
* Plays DivX® 5, DivX® 4, DivX® 3, and DivX® VOD video content (in compliance with DivX Certified™ technical requirements)
* Plays XviD and .SRT, .SMI, .IDX and .SUB formats :D :D :D
* Pre-pixel Motion Adaptive De-interlacing
* Patented FilmMode Processing C Used for proper de-interlacing of 3:2 and 2:2 pull down material

Functions:

* DVD Video/Audio, Divx/MPEG4, VCD, SVCD, CD, HDCD, MP3, WMA, DVDR/RW, CD-R/RW, Kodak Picture
* Super Error Correction with Twin Laser and Intelligent Laser Wavelength Control
* PAL / NTSC discs
* Automatic Screensaver
* Parental Control Function
* Menu Driven Setup Screen

Video:

* 108MHz/12bit Video D/A Converter
* DVI Output
* NTSC / PAL Output
* Screen Aspect Ratio 4:3 and 16:9
* Smart Video: Sharpness/Contrast/Brightness/HUE/Saturation/Gamma Adjustable
* Multi-Angled View
* Multi-Language for On-Screen-Display

Audio:

* 192 KHz Sampling Frequency, 24-Bit High Quality Audio DAC
* Dolby Digital Down-mixed 2-Ch Stereo (L. R)
* Built-in Dolby digital Decoder, Dolby Digital (AC3) 5.1 Channel Output
* Built-in DTS Digital Decoder, DTS 5.1 Channel Output
* Dolby Digital/DTS/LCPM Bitstream Output
* 3D Surround (Virtual Surround): Concert, Live, Dance, Techno, Classic, Soft

Power Supply:

* ~~110V - ~~250V, 50Hz/60Hz AC Universal Power Supply
* Automatic Short Circuit Protection

Connectors:

* Analog (Mixed 2 Ch) Stereo (Left, Right) Audio
* S/PDIF (IEC-958) Coaxial/Optical Digital Audio
* Component Video/Composite Video/S-Video
* DVI (Bonus - 5' DVI-D cable included)
* 5.1 Channel Audio

scott12199

Post by scott12199 » Jun 26th, '05, 01:43

WroW wrote:If you have a TV with DVI just connect your computer with it.I dont understand why you need a dvd player for that expecially since you computer will give the best quality and play all video files. :-)
because it comes with a remote control and my parents dont like sitting in front of a computer screen....

tikleabubble34

Post by tikleabubble34 » Jun 26th, '05, 01:50

Anyone know the price of this thing?

rex45

Post by rex45 » Jun 26th, '05, 02:24

Wow, $200 is kind steep.

WroW
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by WroW » Jun 26th, '05, 10:20

scott12199 wrote:
WroW wrote:If you have a TV with DVI just connect your computer with it.I dont understand why you need a dvd player for that expecially since you computer will give the best quality and play all video files. :-)
because it comes with a remote control and my parents dont like sitting in front of a computer screen....
No I meant if you connect your computer to the TV(and I dont mean tv-out,I mean connecting the TV with a dvi monitor cable to your graphic card), you can watch every drama in digital quality on your TV not the PC.Just try it when your TV has dvi.Connect your PC with it and it will just act like a normal monitor but the quality is amazing.Rewatched Damo that way and it was a whole new experience! :-)

groink

Post by groink » Jun 26th, '05, 10:54

WroW wrote:No I meant if you connect your computer to the TV(and I dont mean tv-out,I mean connecting the TV with a dvi monitor cable to your graphic card), you can watch every drama in digital quality on your TV not the PC.Just try it when your TV has dvi.Connect your PC with it and it will just act like a normal monitor but the quality is amazing.Rewatched Damo that way and it was a whole new experience! :-)
Good idea in theory. However, in most of our homes, our state-of-the-art TV is sitting in the living room, and the computer is sitting in a bedroom or den. My living room is an "escape" from using the PC. Some day I'll have a "media center" PC placed into the living room. But until then, purchasing a DVD player as a stand-alone appliance is a more viable solution for us who don't have a PC and a TV in the same room.

--- groink

scott12199

Post by scott12199 » Jun 26th, '05, 10:56

WroW wrote:
scott12199 wrote:

Yeah, but not everybody has a computer they can hook up to their tv set. Plus you have to also think about those that dont use computers or own one. what if you share a computer with someone and they are always on the computer, wouldnt the dvd player be handy?

WroW
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by WroW » Jun 26th, '05, 11:03

scott12199 wrote:
WroW wrote:
scott12199 wrote:

Yeah, but not everybody has a computer they can hook up to their tv set. Plus you have to also think about those that dont use computers or own one. what if you share a computer with someone and they are always on the computer, wouldnt the dvd player be handy?
Of course I just meant for people who have that option can save 200$.Because I use my old PC for that.All I needed to buy was a old Radeon 8500 for a few bucks which has dvi output.And of course another advantage of the pc is it really plays all media files.But still that dvd player sounds great and also your DVDs will look better on it since it has dvi output.

MoerkJ
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MoerkJ » Jun 27th, '05, 00:47

Btw, I found yesterday this site where they test and rate dozens of DivX-DVD-Players... Seems to be much more detailed than the chart at videohelp. Unfortunately their forum is in french only. :|

linkie: http://www.divxtest.com/ results.php3
:-)

crazylife123
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by crazylife123 » Jun 27th, '05, 01:36

Just save your money and get the Phillip DVP642. The DVD player has most of the function and $150 cheaper. I bought mine for only $50. It could play subtitles and divx movies. Plus, if you need to upgrade...all you have to do is go on their website and you could easily upgrade your DVD codecs.

chitato_80

Post by chitato_80 » Jun 27th, '05, 06:36

I bought Norcent DP-220 for $40 in buy.com

So far so good.. It could play MOST of my burnt dramas/movies... but I don't complain about the ones it wouldn't play... Come on .. it's only 40 bucks :p hehe

delsxyz

For your information only Qpel capable Divx Playerat $39.99

Post by delsxyz » Jun 27th, '05, 22:31

Just found this deal.
Norcent DVD Player DP-220 with Progressive Scan and Component Out
$39.99 FREE SHIPPING
Norcent DVD Player DP-220 plays Burnable DVDs, DIVX and more
Coupon Code: DVOFF
ITEM #: 01-DP22011-A
Final Price: $39.99 Free Shipping

If you are interested, go to
http://www.thetechgeek.com/content/product.php?pid=6117
Someone asked me a question. So this is my answer.
I have 3 different Divx certified players.
1-Philips DV642
2-Rj800 Divx player ( Qpel enabled)
3-Norcent Dp 220

Remote Controller
--I grade Philips DV642 as 3 out of 5.
--Then, Rj800 is 2. (Because you must really really face your remote
controler to the machine. And distance is very limited. How stupid is that?)
--Dp 220 - 1. (The tiniest and the worst kind. It does not even have
Audio nor Subtitle selectable buttons.)

Capability
You know a lot about Philips DV642 already. So I write only other
machines.

--Rj800 plays better resolutions than others. But Qpel is really
annoying. It plays some, it does not play some. If Qpel comes with
GMC, the situation gets worse. Who said this chip is better? Because
it supports Qpel and GMC? No. But overall reproduction is much
better. And unlike others, it picks up subtitles by itself. )
If RJ Tech makes a better Remote Controller, there is no argument
among 3 machines.)

-Dp220 (You can not make it a region free like others)
Subtitle thingy is cumbersome than Philips. (But it is much cheaper
than Philips) Audio change (let's say DVD came with Eng Dub and
the original Japanese. It picks up Eng Dub as the machine's choice.
You must go to the main menu and select audio. If you have several
episodes like Anime, then, on 2nd Episode again, English Dub will be
picked up. You must hit Menu button to select the Japanese audio
and hit resume to play. Very cumbersome. )

[/b]

AsianblueX

Post by AsianblueX » Jun 29th, '05, 21:21

i just recently bought the oppo digital dvd player OMG IT OWNS SO MUCH!!!!

IT PLAYS KOREAN/JAP DRAMAS!!!!!! YATTA!!!!!!!! OH MAN TOO GOOD IT PLAYS WITH SUBS!!! (.srt) ^^ man i'm happy hahahhahaha yeah its really good=) worth every penny i'd suggest saving up money for this then you'll be able to watch the dramas you love so much on TV(i have a huge plasma so huge adv. on my part, wayy better than my monitor) anyway buy it b/c it owns

also plays korean movies with subs and anime and uhh anything .avi related divx xvid blah blah blah etc. c u

crazylife123
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by crazylife123 » Jul 2nd, '05, 23:45

AsianblueX...

How much did you pay for it? If it's more than $50...you got rip off.

qoogirl

Post by qoogirl » Aug 17th, '05, 12:20

crazylife123 wrote:AsianblueX...

How much did you pay for it? If it's more than $50...you got rip off.
Then where would you suggest buying a region-free, DiVX compatiable, plays SRT [SUB and SMI would be pushing it, but be nice, I guess] and around $50 dvd player from? I'm looking for something to play burned DVD avi files [divx encoded] since I don't feel like finding something to convert to DVD format. :unsure:

I am not even going to spend more than $100 for it, which is why YesAsia isn't looking so good right now. I will buy from the net, but I'd prefer a site people actually purchase from and not just "well, if I could, I 'would' buy from there' type of place.

Any help is appreciated. :wub: :mrgreen:

fuddleduddle

Post by fuddleduddle » Aug 18th, '05, 04:28

my friend has bought/returned 3 different brands of divx players. not because there was really anything wrong with them, but it's just that when it comes to playing anime, part of the subtitles were cut off. we later found out that it's called overscan, where the tv creates a sort of border around the video since the resolution's a bit bigger than the tv's.

have anyone tried any divx dvdplayers that don't have this problem?

cgozun

Post by cgozun » Aug 18th, '05, 04:43

I give OPPO the best choice award. DVD players priced at $200, this is arguably the best out there. I bought my sister the Mini DVD Home Theater one and she loves it. For myself, I bought the HDTV ready one and loving it.

deadd

Post by deadd » Aug 18th, '05, 05:01

If I get the OPPO DVD player (US $200), it would cost more than the TV I bought 7 years ago for 189 US dollars. I think most people would agree to this:

If you have a good HDTV, get the OPPO, otherwise you aren't getting the best out of your TV.
If you have crappy TV like me, get something inexpensive, otherwise if you get the OPPO you aren't getting the best out of it.

Just my 2 cents.

qoogirl

Post by qoogirl » Aug 19th, '05, 21:23

deadd wrote:If I get the OPPO DVD player (US $200), it would cost more than the TV I bought 7 years ago for 189 US dollars. I think most people would agree to this:

If you have a good HDTV, get the OPPO, otherwise you aren't getting the best out of your TV.
If you have crappy TV like me, get something inexpensive, otherwise if you get the OPPO you aren't getting the best out of it.

Just my 2 cents.
I see. I just bought an Emerson Flat Screen 20" for my bedroom and it was only about $100 at Wal-mart. TVs are unbelievably cheap nowadays (excluding LCD TVs which do not seem to go below $399 if they're over 14", haha), and I feel an odd sense of happiness remembering that over 7 years ago I got a 19" Goldstar television as a present ranging at about $176, I think.

I know I'd like something I could use in 3 years--and probably with a better TV than this 20", but I guess that there's nowhere to buy something not as advanced as OPPO, but pretty good nonetheless?? Once again, any suggestions for NON-OPPO-but-good-enough region-free DVD Players? :-)

Verile

Post by Verile » Sep 11th, '05, 03:31

About this DVD player's bonus; can anyone explain the difference between a DVI-DVI cable and a DVI-HDMI cable to ne?

groink

Post by groink » Sep 11th, '05, 03:50

Verile wrote:About this DVD player's bonus; can anyone explain the difference between a DVI-DVI cable and a DVI-HDMI cable to ne?
http://www.gefen.com/kvm/support/dvihdmi.jsp

--- groink

Gir

Post by Gir » Sep 11th, '05, 04:10

rex45 wrote:Wow, $200 is kind steep.
I don't know I paid almost $700 for my Toshiba DVD player.

Of course that was mid '97 and that was just about the cheapest one I could find, but it did come with two free DVDs, of which there were less than 20 to choose from in the store.

It’s still working pretty well, though it has not recognized two of the latest DVDs I purchased, it just sits on the “loading” screen and never starts to play.

An interesting thing, not too long after I got it, it was acting up on the newer dual-layer DVDs and Toshiba said that I needed to send it off to a shop and pay $50 for a firmware upgrade. (Which I did.) Now just last month I received a $50 check, it seems that there was a class action lawsuit against Toshiba. It seems that anyone who paid this shop for the firmware upgrades had their money refunded. Now I could take that and buy a brand new player.

Verile

Post by Verile » Sep 11th, '05, 20:48

Unfortunately, I'm not really all that intelligent, so let me ask for clarification. The HMDI is essentially the upgraded version of DVI? If that were the case, then is there any logical reason to get the older DVI version anyway?

Kai Lien
AiRen
AiRen

Post by Kai Lien » Nov 26th, '06, 05:54

Right now a philips DVP-642 at circuit city is only $30 after rebates. I don't recommend it cause the dvd player is pretty dumb. I had it for a year and I finally got the no disc error of death. Sometimes it would recognize a disc sometimes it won't read a thing! I did buy a 3 yr warranty from walmart but I don't think its worth it since I lost all the papers and receipts to go with it. They gave me a really hard time when I only wanted to exchange it but finally I got them to give me another one. I came in wanting to get the Philips dvp 5960 (usb :thumright: ) but I settled for what the manager gave me, a Philips DVP-5140. I wasn't so happy when I hooked it up at home and found the remote control didn't work properly. The battery liked to pop out a little. Anyways, below is a link I found that gives a really good overview of what it does and a comparison to the 642 model. From what I've used of it so far, the font is smaller but the menu is prettier and pressing the stop button ejects the flimsy drive but it seems slower than the 642. Seems to do all the tricks that OPPO does but way cheaper. It's going at $49 at walmart now. It played everything I've thrown at it except gmc. I hope there will be a flash for the subtitles because its not very pleasing. I hope this one will last longer too.

http://home.wi.rr.com/ntngod/dvp642_vs_ ... .htm#intro

Edit: Wow I am replying to a very old topic. :sweat:

wewa

Oppo NOT that great for d-addicts fans

Post by wewa » Nov 26th, '06, 06:21

Hello,

I will help you reply to an old topic. :)
As NBC used to say, "If you haven't seen it, its NEW to YOU!" :lol

Not to contradict the original post, but I have had the 971 for about a year.
I also own the 970 that oppo came out with this past summer.
I have them connected to my 'Guest' HDTV, so that guests can watch their American Region 1 DVDs when they come over.
I use LG/Zenith/Samsung DVD Players on my primary viewing HDTV for watching my nightly d-addicts episodes of 704 resolution (keep 'em coming gang! especially 1280!)

If your primary goal, is to watch commerical pre-recorded DVDs (Batman Begins, Geisha, Fifth Element, Fast & Furious, Friends, Lost, Desperate Housewives, etc.) on your HDTV with DVI, then I would recommend the 971 for its PQ (Picture Quality).
If you have a newer HDTV with HDMI, then go with the 970, which is cheaper ($150) and does not have Faroujda processing, but you probably won't miss it. This is one area where Oppo seems to know what they're doing.

If all of this is confusing for you, please visit their web site and read more: www.oppodigital.com

But for my customers who I turn on to d-addicts, I usually DO NOT recommend Oppo players to them for their new Plasma or LCD HDTV.
I usually set them up with a LG, Zenith or Samsung.

I sell and install HDTV Plasma, LCD, CRT, FP to customers on a weekly basis, and have owned/tried/sold over a 100 different DVD players over the years, and so I know what works for Divx/Xvid playback.

What I like about Oppo players:
* Picture Quality
* HDMI/DVI connection
* Good customer service (returned units before, and they pay shipping, and even give you a new updated remote control and take back the old one, no charge).
* Downloadable firmware updates come about every six months...

What I dont like:
* Unwatchable soft sub support (SRT, SUB, etc.). Font is too big and so it cuts off long sentences without wrapping to 2nd line. Useless.
* Max Divx support of 704. So if you are wanting to watch the 1280 resolution ones we are now getting thanks to those awesome rippers in Japan (Arigato!!!!), you will be out of luck, just like Philllips owners are now as well. So you pay $200 and get worse Divx capability than the Philips.
* Poor logic design. Pressing Power button with tray open, will not auto close tray on power off. Even cheapo Memorex, Koss DVD players ($25) will do this.
Or the reverse, press Eject when powered off and unit will power on and tray will open for you. The 971 will not do this.

My recommendations:
* LG/Zenith DVD players are smarter with SRT, SMA, SST, SUB, etc.
* Some Samsung with Divx support are also better Divx subtitle support than Oppo.
* If you need/want higher than 704 Divx resolution support on your HDTV, you have 2 options that I know of at the moment. Both are in the $300 range:
- I/O Data Network DVD player (available at Compusa only).
- D-Link Network streaming player (no DVD drive - requires a LAN or Wi-Fi to be able to stream the Divx files from your PC).
* Of course another option, is to hookup a Windows Media Center or other HTPC to your TV, but there are not HTPC with HDMI yet, so you are out of luck, as I am.

Also, keep in mind, that there are no more HDTVs being sold that I know of, that have DVI connections anymore, everything is HDMI when it comes to TV, so I expect the 971 to be discontinued or be relegated to minimal status in the future.
I had a 32" Panasonic HDTV CRT with DVI, but I sold that this month, so I am pure HDMI now.

On a side note, I also recommend Plasma over LCD (except for console gamers), as long as you understand the image burn-in issues.

Happy viewing!

raider73

Post by raider73 » Nov 28th, '06, 07:44

Good post wewa. They do have videocards w/ HDMI out nowadays just not that common though so I guess you can have an HTPC w/ HDMI out.

[img]http://insanetek.com/images/stories/new ... tehdmi.png[/img]

Regarding the Oppo. Nowadays, no longer a great deal. PCs are so cheap and they do a much better job w/ unconverting(just search AVS forum for ffdshow settings). You can even get laptops for $200-300 that will do better than the Oppo and will guarantee to play everything. I can't stand the Divx players anymore because of the 1280x720 rips that are appearing now since the PC can play it but the Divx player can't

My TV has both HDMI and DVI and I like that because the HTPC get connected w/ DVI and the Cable box/DVD player get connected w/ HDMI