IMA AI NI YUKIMASU

Talk about the culture and entertainment from Nihon.
vilex

IMA AI NI YUKIMASU

Post by vilex » Mar 13th, '05, 13:31

Who has watched this movie by Yuko Takeuchi???

minidora24

Post by minidora24 » Mar 14th, '05, 00:08

me me me me!!!
I REALLY liked it. One of my ultimate favs probably :wub:
I watch a lot of movies but only a few have moved me and this one def did!!
Watched it... 4x...cried 4x...... and i usually hate sappy movies but i can take this one. it wasn't sad crying though. It's one of those makes-you-feel-good-after-you-watch-it, kinda movie. The original book was just as good too (i recommend to watch the movie first) I liked all the actors, the music and the tiny details of the movie that made it good overall. :D

Last year in Japan was all about jun-ai boom...like sekachuu..fuyusona...
Thie movie got compared a lot with sekachuu since the two were under the same producing team...but personally i like this movie better.

vilex

WOW

Post by vilex » Mar 14th, '05, 02:02

I will try my very best to obtain it . But it looks difficult as I am malaysian. I am currently in the UK though... Trying to look for torrents but to no avail. Watched the trailer so many times ...Was introduced to it by the song sang by Orange range. Watching the video made me want to watch this movie so much ... Do u have any idea how do i get it? I envy that u were able to watch it n Japan. Is the book in English??

minidora24

Post by minidora24 » Mar 21st, '05, 12:47

Unfortunately, the book is in Japanese... :-( They must have it in other Asian languages though (e.g. Chinese, Korean)
I went to a forum for this movie and they had lots of supplmentary data about the movie:

Apparently the DVD for the movie come out on 6/24 and you can reserve it at www.amazon.co.jp..but I'm sure they'll have it at YesAsia and other Asian entertainment sites.

They're gonna open up the movie in
Korea (3/25)
http://www.bewithyou.co.kr
Taiwan (4/8)
http://www.scholarfilms.com.tw/ima-ai/

plu I found out they have an English information site about the movie :w00t:
http://www.tbs.co.jp/movie/english/
You can watch the English trailer

wendyta

Post by wendyta » May 30th, '05, 16:34

I LOVE THIS MOVIE!

I watched it four times on the plane!

Does anyone know if the DVD (out on 06/24) will have English subtitle? I checked HMV Japan and CDjapan but it doesn't say that it has English subtitle.

If no English subtitled version available, anyone willing to fansub this movie?

WD

Post by WD » May 31st, '05, 02:34

I heard that this will be remade into a dorama this summer by TBS, starring Mimura & Hiroki Narimiya, like they remake Sekai ni last summer. Don't know if this is true though.

chiyoaiki

Post by chiyoaiki » Jun 1st, '05, 07:48

wendyta wrote:I LOVE THIS MOVIE!

I watched it four times on the plane!

Does anyone know if the DVD (out on 06/24) will have English subtitle? I checked HMV Japan and CDjapan but it doesn't say that it has English subtitle.

If no English subtitled version available, anyone willing to fansub this movie?
According to yesasia, the DVD will only have Japanese subtitle :-( .

I really want to watch this movie too. But without Eng sub, I wouldn't be able to understand it :-(

Akiramike
Fansubber
Fansubber
Australia

Post by Akiramike » Jun 18th, '05, 14:12

2 cd rip out on FSS. Hopefully subs will come out soon.

Just finished watching. One of the best romantic movies ever. Highly recommended even without subs as long as you know your basic japanese terms from watching jdramas. :)

chiyoaiki

Post by chiyoaiki » Jun 19th, '05, 07:34

Akiramike wrote:2 cd rip out on FSS. Hopefully subs will come out soon.

Just finished watching. One of the best romantic movies ever. Highly recommended even without subs as long as you know your basic japanese terms from watching jdramas. :)
I really want to watch this movie but FSS doesn't accept new memeber :-( .

mikomi

Post by mikomi » Jun 19th, '05, 18:29

You can now pick up the dvd rip of this movie at FSC, however, there is still no subs for it yet. Hopefully, someone would sub it soon.
I also heard that a DVD will come out soon on June 24th, I assume with English subs?? :unsure:

Akiramike
Fansubber
Fansubber
Australia

Post by Akiramike » Jun 22nd, '05, 05:21

I think June 24th is the Japanese dvd. The rip that was released is from the korean dvd I believe. I'm sure someone is working on the english subs.

mizune
Geinou Fansubber
Geinou Fansubber

Post by mizune » Jun 23rd, '05, 03:28

Ah, this was an excellent movie...
And I agree that I think the level of Japanese required is pretty minimal.

But there's got to be some sort of subtitled copy running around someplace if Jennifer Garner saw it and has convinced some studio to do an adaptation of it....O_o;;;
(source japan-zone.com, by way of bmwracer at jdorama :p)

veritati

Post by veritati » Jun 23rd, '05, 04:44

Minimal is not gonna help. You won't fully comprehend it if you don't understand the explanation. This movie has a Back To The Future/Matrix-like storyline in terms of how things unfolded. There are elements of A Christmas' Carol and It's A Wonderful Life in it as well.

mizune
Geinou Fansubber
Geinou Fansubber

Post by mizune » Jun 23rd, '05, 05:49

Well, of course everything is made crystal clear if you can understand, but I think all you really need to know is the basic premise in order to enjoy the film...

Overall though, I thought the language used was very elementary and everybody speaks at a nice, slow pace.
*Possibly a slight spolier*> Plus the whole idea of time travel/past and future selves is presented in a predominantely visual manner (and a single line of dialogue for those who just didn't get it), as opposed to some complicated explanation or plot events...
You need a little bit of imagination to fill things out, maybe, but overall I think the thoughts and feelings in the film will translate well enough without knowing every little detail of dialouge...

I may not be the best person to evaluate this since I can understand Japanese, but in terms of the story -- dialouge vocabulary, speed of delivery, number/obscurity of cultural references -- this one is pretty elementary. Nice for beginners...

And if anybody has any questions about it before subs come out, I'm sure that between everybody who did watch and understand, they can be answered...

Magion

Post by Magion » Jun 26th, '05, 21:30

I have the Japanese subs for this movie in .sub/.idx... I was thinking of maybe translating it to Swedish so that one of my friends who wants to see this movie can enjoy it too.
If anyone wants the Japanese subs to translate to English just send me a PM and I can send them to you.
I will use VobSub's SubResync to convert it to another format sometime this week.
If I have time and no one releases English subs for this movie soon, I might translate it to English too, but don't get your hopes up... and someone else will probably release a good translation before I can even start.

/Magion

lacroix

Post by lacroix » Jun 27th, '05, 05:35

Could someone tell me what FSS and FSC means ? ^^

mikomi

Post by mikomi » Jun 27th, '05, 15:25

lacroix wrote:Could someone tell me what FSS and FSC means ? ^^
FSC - Fantastic Super Club : http://fantasticsuperclub.org/
FSS - FS Seeders : http://fst.omnilounge.co.uk/

Both of those sites have Asian movies.

I have watched parts of this movie yesterday without English subtitles. Even though my Japanese knowledge is very little, I thought the whole story wasn't that confusing or hard to understand. On a second watch, I was able to understand it all. However, it's still very neccessary to have English subs because I really want to know what were they saying particularly 8) . Overall, it's a very emotional and romantic movie, even without the subs.

Mimi-kaki

Post by Mimi-kaki » Jul 1st, '05, 04:39

The English subtitles are available now at FSC :D

chiyoaiki

Post by chiyoaiki » Jul 1st, '05, 07:03

Is there any clubbox which has this movie and english sub?

Thanks.

veritati

Post by veritati » Jul 3rd, '05, 07:06

There is a new torrent at Pirate's Bay with Zola's (FSC) English Subs.

darkflame21

Post by darkflame21 » Jul 4th, '05, 00:03

The movie was great. Watched the first episode of the drama last night. Wasn't anything special so far, but I found myself comparing everything from the drama to the movie. Hopefully the diferences in the drama plus the extra time to develop the story will help the drama develop over time. ALthough I doubt Mimura can outdo Takeuchi Yuko. I want to see how the two versions vary though. :) I like the sekai chuushin da ai wo sakebu drama as much or more then the movie so well see. :)
Also I cant wait to watch Slow Dance tonight. :)

Marikina

Post by Marikina » Jul 8th, '05, 04:04

Question about the movie's climax (SPOILER):

Did her accident really give her amnesia, or was her inability to recognize them just from her not having met them yet? If it's the latter, shouldn't she have recofnized Takumi at least? Time didn't change him that much from when she last knew him.
Also, a remake is apparently on the works...
Warner Bros. has acquired remake rights to the 2004 Japanese hit Be With You, with Jennifer Garner starring and producing via her newly formed Vandalia Films banner, reports Variety. Garner and partner Juliana Janes will produce with the American Beauty team of Dan Jinks and Bruce Cohen.

The original was directed by Nobuhiro Doi from a novel by Takuji Ichikawa. On her deathbed, a dying young woman tells her husband and young son that she will return to them. A year later, father and son happen upon a woman who bears an uncanny resemblance to the dead woman.

Alias star Garner recently wrapped Catch and Release, a romantic comedy for Columbia written and directed by Erin Brockovich scribe Susannah Grant.

darkflame21

Post by darkflame21 » Jul 8th, '05, 04:31

Did her accident really give her amnesia, or was her inability to recognize them just from her not having met them yet? If it's the latter, shouldn't she have recofnized Takumi at least? Time didn't change him that much from when she last knew him.

MORE SPOILERS
MORE SPOILERS
MORE SPOILERS

She didnt really get amnesia from anything. She died and was creamated and everything. She was dead for a while too. But she promised er son that she would come back during the rainy season next year and she did but with no recolection of anything.

veritati

Post by veritati » Jul 8th, '05, 05:32

darkflame21 wrote:She didnt really get amnesia from anything. She died and was creamated and everything. She was dead for a while too. But she promised er son that she would come back during the rainy season next year and she did but with no recolection of anything.
Did you not watch the movie? Or you watched it without subs and with little understanding of Japanese? ***SPOILERS*** There are fantasy elements in this movie. She went to the future when she got hit by the car. That's why she didn't know them. She did know the the BF/husband, but the future leap must have erased that part of her memory. I wrote this on another board:

There are some time travel/warp/fantasy-ish elements involved. When she got hit by the car, she somehow "traveled" to the future and saw how her life "was" or what became of her life. That is the part you see during the movie. The husband, Takumi, and kid are really hers just that she hasn't experienced that part until after she comes back (wakes up from the accident/saying goodbye and disappearing from them and lived it). So she knew how her life will turn out, but she chose to live it the way she saw it instead of picking differently--meaning she "knew" she will die (a year before the actions in the movie) if she chooses to be with him and have the son, but she did it anyway because that made her happy (based on what she learned about her "future/will be" life/death while in the future). So because she learned that she "lived" a happy life with them, she chose that life, despite knowing that she would die. That's why while in the future she arranges for everything for after she leaves--the cake, telling his co-worker to take care of him, teaching the son to take care of things and the father--before she goes back to her present/movie past (17 years ago). So it's like an alternate life--like in A Christmas' Carol with Scrooge or It's a Wonderful Life--but she chose what she saw instead of changing it.

It's kinda confusing but touching. Anyway, the young guy in the beginning of the movie accepting the cake is the boy in the movie when he turns 17. So the beginning and end of the movie is the "current" present time. Everything during the movie - minus the flashback scenes - are like 10 years ago. She really died 11 years ago. Her accident 17 years ago took her to 10 years ago, which is one year after her death. So when the father and son talk about the mother returning during the rainy season it is because she told them so before she died - since she had already experienced it (she met them during the rainy season/a year after her real death--from her time travel). So in essence, she told them of her time travel in a more subtle way. She says in the movie (in her diary) that an incredible thing happened: her 22-year-old self meets 29-year-old Takumi. They are supposed to be the same age. Hence, the time travel.

darkflame21

Post by darkflame21 » Jul 8th, '05, 05:42

More SPOILERS

Ah ok, I missed the line about the ages. When I think about it i think I heard it but didnt connect it lol. Thats really the only thing that would prove she actually went forward in time thoug, right? I should watch it again and listen really carefully i guess.

Nyanko

Post by Nyanko » Jul 8th, '05, 08:00

I watched the movie yesterday. It was such an excellent movie I've ever seen.
I was crying sooo much. my eyes were filled up with tears and my tears wouldn't stop... maybe half of the movie. I've already watched 3 times!!! The music is so beautiful too.

I really like the way the movie was made. lots of flashbacks...how they showed the prospectives of Takkun first (about how he has fallen in love with Mio)...and Mio came back to them...and after she left...they showed from Mio's point of view (when Takkun was reading the diary)...and everything!!!! You'll know everything at the end!!! It was sad, but I felt so good after the movie was finished!

I would recommend many people to watch this movie ;-)

shiruchan

Post by shiruchan » Jul 10th, '05, 20:38

I´m dying to watch the movie. I´ve cried watching the trailer, imagine the entire movie! =D

However, I´ve watched the first episode of its drama version.
Why did they pick Narimiya Hiroki to be the lead actor? He´s kakkoi, but he´s not a good actor. He can´t act! He can´t cry, can´t show the feelings... and also is Mimura. I hope episode 2 will be better, or I won´t stop watching it, cause first episode, IMO, was terribly boring.

Comparing with Sekachu (that had a movie, and then, a drama version), Sekachu´s leading actors were so much better and had such a charisma right on first episode.
Hope Ima, Ai ni Yukimasu drama gets better.

Yukster

Post by Yukster » Jul 16th, '05, 11:12

I just watched the movie, and its very touching.

<spoiler...>
I think the best comparison would be the movie "The Family Man" with Nick Cage they made a few years back, where he had a "glimpse" of the future that he would of had if he decided to chose love over money. In "Be With You", Mio had the fortune of having that "glimpse" before she made her choice...

I guess the part that I liked be best was the flash back from her prespective, where even though he thought it was a one-sided love, she was always there for him...

wrongun

Post by wrongun » Aug 29th, '05, 01:42

This movie is excellent! Very touching. I'm very lucky to come across this movie on the internet. Only by chance. However, I only have a crappy pirate copy of this movie. I did see a legit version in a store, and I'm considering buying that. It's worth it, at least to me. :)

fuddleduddle

Post by fuddleduddle » Aug 31st, '05, 01:53

i guess it's a little embarassing for me to say it, but i did cry buckets. i completely turned on the waterworks even though i was trying my best to hold my tears in. i haven't cried in a sad movie since 'i am sam'.

wrongun, i have a pirate version of this movie as well unfortunately. i will get the legit dvd at a store or maybe online. same with the OST. definitely keepers.