[Discussion] Bromance (TTV, 2015)

Discuss chinese drama series here.
Thierry23

[Discussion] Bromance (TTV, 2015)

Post by Thierry23 » Nov 19th, '15, 14:54

While searching around , I stumbled across this little gem of a gender bender TWDrama, Bromance.
It's my first TWDrama, and I have to adjust a bit, being more used to JDramas and KDramas.

It piqued my curiosity, because it was a gender bender. I fast forwarded through part of the first episode to get a feel of it, but couldn't find the girl who was supposed to be dressed up as a guy. It was only when I watched that part in normal speed that I found her. That piqued my curiosity even further.
Now I have to admit that at the moment I'm primarily watching because of the main actress, Megan Lai, who is playing the Pi YaNuo character (= girl acting like guy). She's doing it very convincingly, i.e. acting like a guy. Or as Pi YaNuo says in ep 1. "Apart from my private parts, I'm a total guy!" :D

Yes, it's filled with coincidence upon coincidence. Yes, it's filled with the usual gender bender clichés.
But in spite of that, episode 1 has caught me... totally, and reeled me in.

One difference that I found with the usual gender benders that I've seen, is how they hookup in episode 1.
Pi YaNuo hooks up with a triad boss, Du ZiFeng, and in the 1st episode fights alongside him. Their fighting skills fit together very well, and are such, that they're able to fight off some 8-10 thugs. I've rewatched that fight scene several times now :P
Already at episode 5, I almost can't wait for the next episode. (only 1 per week)

izzyosa
Fansubber
Fansubber

Re: [TWDrama] Bromance

Post by izzyosa » Nov 19th, '15, 20:21

This is my first TWdrama too and like you, I am really enjoying it. It's completely over the top and very silly in places but really good fun. I agree with you that the female lead is doing an excellent job. I wonder what other TWdramas there are out there worth checking out!

Thierry23

Post by Thierry23 » Nov 22nd, '15, 18:22

Well, you could try the way I was exploring JDramas and KDramas.
If I liked a certain drama, I looked up which actors/actresses were playing in it. After that I would look up in which other movies/dramas they had a role, how big or small it may seem.

That way I found out that Megan Lai (playing Pi Yanuo in Bromance), also played a minor secondary but similar role in a Taiwanese movie Cafe Waiting Love. The role she had in that movie was that of a barista in a cafe. Apparently women/girls were falling for that gloomy barista. I'm not sure whether they knew that it was a female playing that role :P. Another article said she looked a bit like Lee Min Ho. Seeing the photos they showed side by side, I can imagine why they were saying that. It's as if Megan Lai in that barista outfit, is a somewhat more delicately built younger brother of Lee Min Ho. Which made me grin with the thought: "Wow, now both the guys and the girls can have their Lee Min Ho... The girls have Lee Min Ho, and they guys can have Megan lai ... " :P Anyway, I still have to see that movie.

Back to Bromance. On youtube there are several clips Behind the Scenes of Bromance. I do not understand Chinese (whether it's Mandarin, Cantonese or Taiwanese) but it's kind of fun to see how it is, when they are shooting those scenes. (search for 愛上哥們)
At the end of this Youtube clip, Megan Lai is showing off an outfit, at approx. 9:35. She looks really as a handsme guy in that suit. I think I begin to understand the Du Zifeng character... because i"m beginning to fall for her too, in that outfit. :P

Thierry23

Post by Thierry23 » Nov 29th, '15, 19:31

After having watched ep. 6 both without and with subtitles, I think that Baron Chen may be a good actor. I've started to think that way, probably starting with ep. 1, because his facial expressions and demeanor were really fitting his character (Du Zifeng) and what that character is probably thinking. Seeing how jumpy/exuberant he is in the "behind the scenes" clips, and how quiet/controlled the Du Zifeng character is portrayed, well, that's another point why I'm thinking that he may be a good actor.
Anyway, I was so curious what would happen in ep. 6, that I've watched that without subtitles. The way Du Zifeng was looking, his facial expressions and demeanor, made me think that something was going on, and I was guessing that he started to doubt himself. This proved to be right when I watched that episode with subtitles.

In the earlier episoded the romantic(?) relation between Qingyang and Nana felt a bit out of place, disconnected, but now in episode 6 it becomes more clearer. There's trouble brewing in that corner too, that possibly could affect the main leads, Zifeng and Yanuo.

Now waiting for episode 7, should be this week, so I can let my eyes rest on Megan Lai (Pi Yanuo) again.
(And until then, rewatching the previous episodes) :P

Thierry23

Re: [Discussion] Bromance (TTV, 2015)

Post by Thierry23 » Dec 29th, '15, 14:37

We're already at ep. 11 that I have just viewed ... and there was a teenee-tiny preview scene of ep. 12.... those writers are darned good at baiting the viewers, my goodness!

At the end of ep 11
Yanuo confessed to Du Zifeng, that she (he) still has a secret, that she(h) hasn't told Du Zifeng. We can imagine it's her being a girl, and not a guy as Du Zifeng believes... at least I think Du Zifeng is still thinking that.

But in the preview of ep 12 we see Yanuo fessing up to Du Zifeng that she's a girl and that she's in love with him... it's just...

That smile that Du Zifeng shows at seeing this text message makes me think...
- Is he really accepting that Yanuo is a girl, and not a guy?
- Or is he thinking that because Yanuo is so head over heels ... that he feels he's as gushy as a girl from head to toe?
Darn.. will have to wait another week to find out the answer ...

O yeah... and the series is still filled with cliche's , coincidences, and enough cheese to supply the local pizza delivery for a year...
But I still like this series :P

izzyosa
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by izzyosa » Jan 2nd, '16, 22:16

It is the show that I most look forward to watching every week. They give us so many cute moments each episode! It looks like he might be finding out she's a girl next week but I hope he doesn't find out just yet!

koshonin

Post by koshonin » Jan 3rd, '16, 03:55

could you provide a link to the torrents?

izzyosa
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by izzyosa » Jan 7th, '16, 08:57

koshonin wrote:could you provide a link to the torrents?
It's available to watch on both Viki and Dramafever. I hope that helps.

koshonin

Post by koshonin » Jan 10th, '16, 00:53

thank you, will have to wait for someone to share them as torrent

Thierry23

Post by Thierry23 » Jan 13th, '16, 13:57

Ah, sorry, just noticed the question.
I watch this one, also via Viki. Can't help with torrents tho, sorry.

ocha_suki

Post by ocha_suki » Jan 17th, '16, 10:19

koshonin wrote:thank you, will have to wait for someone to share them as torrent
if you are a member, AT (avtz) has it!
or you could find it on CB ^^

Thierry23

Post by Thierry23 » Mar 18th, '16, 17:55

Well, I've watched the series completely. It was quite a good run. Ending was reasonably satisfying.

And than Megan Lai in a leather jacket... whooo boy! :wub: