Would you ever marry someone your parents didn't approve of?

The real life drama forum. Discuss your relationships or get to know the other members here.
krayfi

Post by krayfi » Aug 16th, '09, 04:16

I'd say no. Not that love isn't worth it, but because it will take a toll on your relationship, I feel.

Assuming you are totally in love and go ahead, you'll probably have to sacrifice your relationship with family. And obviously, unless you don't really care, then you'll be fine. But if you still want to maintain some kind of bond, they will constantly pressure you and that, will probably create plenty of toruble that never existed between you and your spouse.

If your parents matter a whole lot to you, I wouldn't. But it also depends on how your parents are. My parents just want someone I can be happy with and someone who will care for me well. If they can be assured of that, they won't really care about the nitty gritty details of my relationship :)

nankasento

Post by nankasento » Aug 20th, '09, 17:24

lol, I'm so glad with my choice of not marrying anyone but hypothetically speaking if I would get married and if my parents disapprove they know I'll do it anyway, and if comes to it, I would not see them again as well if that's what it takes. I've packed my bags and gone of more than once to move across the globe while I was young. I do what I want, I don't do it on a whim, well sometimes but those are small issues, I really think things through and make my own choices, I live without regret. It's my life and I live it the way I want to.

We had this issue with my sister and she's still married to her husband, that's her choice not ours, if she's happy with it, good for her. They just have to put up with my choice for avoiding them, since that's my choice.
If I drop by and say I'm getting married they'll probably rush me of to the hospital to have me checked out because they'll probably think I'd had an accident or hit my head or something.

And parents aren't always right, heck a lot of parents are wrong a lot of the time and another lot shouldn't be parents in the first place, ever.

In the end, it's your choice, make the one that you won't regret.

bomber1122

Post by bomber1122 » Jan 13th, '10, 12:23

Yes i Would, but i will eventaully figure out a will so theis person will satisfy them while at the same time not sacriface thereself in doing so

Secret_Symphony

Post by Secret_Symphony » Aug 12th, '13, 15:53

Yes, I would. Unless the person was evil, I think you'd figure that out for yourself before marrying the person of course. Otherwise, if the person is good just different or not their ideal son-in-law, well... too bad. I'd marry the person despite my parents' objections - at some point you have to create your own life, not cater to what your parents want for your life!

fictionalistic

Post by fictionalistic » Feb 9th, '14, 01:03

Probably, if my parents didn't have a good reason to dislike the woman. If they do, I'd listen to them and consider why they don't like her. Depends on the situation, I guess.