My Love From Another Star (SBS, 2013-2014)

Discuss Korean drama series here.
E-Licious

My Love From Another Star (SBS, 2013-2014)

Post by E-Licious » Jan 13th, '14, 18:04

Image[/img]

Details

Title: 별에서 온 그대 / Byeoleseo On Geudae
Also known as: You Came From the Stars / My Lover From The Stars / You From Another Star / My Love From Another Star
Previously known as: 별에서 온 남자 / Byeoleseo On Namja (Man From the Stars)
Genre: Romance, comedy, fantasy, melodrama
Episodes: 20
Broadcast network: SBS
Broadcast period: 2013-Dec-18 to 2014-Feb-20
Air time: Wednesday & Thursday 22:00
Original Soundtrack: You Who Came From the Stars OST
Synopsis

Do Min Joon is an alien who came to earth in 1609 and lands in the Joseon era, then lives through the next four hundred years to the present day where he works as university professor and falls in love with a haughty top hallyu actress, Chun Song Yi.

Let me start off by saying I am really enjoying this series so far (through ep 7). In watching it, I've noticed a couple of parody/homage scenes:

Episode 5 (Just before 38 min mark)
Two children appear on screen and start talking, shortly after music from "Heirs (2013)" starts playing and the dialogue is a parody of the 2 main characters from that show.

Episode 6 (After end credits begin, just before 58 min mark)
This is an homage to Jun Ji Hyun's earlier (probably most popular) movie "My Sassy Girl (2001)". Music from that movie begins playing and the whole scene is based off of a scene from the movie. Besides this scene you can also see posters for the movie in her agent's office.

So after seeing these 2 scenes, I started to wonder if these are the ones I'm catching, what scenes might I be missing? Has anyone else discovered some parody/homages to other dramas/movies? No spoilers please! Just list the episode, time of occurence, and the drama/movie that is referenced.

EDIT: Now with 100% more drama discussion!
Last edited by E-Licious on Jan 14th, '14, 14:07, edited 1 time in total.

shiofmedea

Post by shiofmedea » Jan 13th, '14, 20:59

only from K-drama? Just asking becouse this drama is kind of unintentional parody (or really borrow from should we say) from western movies - Superman and ET being obvious one.
But for JJH I belive there is commercial reference in end of episode 7 (epiloge part) as JJH is known from her sensual commercials with dancing part (or I read to much in it?). And there was OST from MtEtS in one of episodes, do not remember which right now.
Ah, and of course reference to GD famous rapping in ep 6 around middle of it (30 mn? but quite long LOL).

E-Licious

Post by E-Licious » Jan 14th, '14, 03:55

shiofmedea wrote:only from K-drama? Just asking becouse this drama is kind of unintentional parody (or really borrow from should we say) from western movies - Superman and ET being obvious one.
But for JJH I belive there is commercial reference in end of episode 7 (epiloge part) as JJH is known from her sensual commercials with dancing part (or I read to much in it?). And there was OST from MtEtS in one of episodes, do not remember which right now.
Ah, and of course reference to GD famous rapping in ep 6 around middle of it (30 mn? but quite long LOL).
I know JJH does a lot of CFs but I haven't really seen many of them. Are there some where she acts like that? That's funny :lol

MtEtS? What does that stand for?

Rapping? You mean when she was driving? What GD song was it in reference to? Group or solo song?

Issy

Post by Issy » Jan 14th, '14, 08:49

This is drama discussion section. You can't make a thread for a particular parts of drama only. If you like the drama and would like to discuss it including its parodies scenes, I suggest you make a proper thread like all others in this section. You also need to edit the title and make it only drama title. 8)

\( -o _ o- )/
Upload Addict
Upload Addict

Post by \( -o _ o- )/ » Jan 14th, '14, 10:23

Awww Issy, don't be so strict. I'm sure Kdrama discussion can include parodies. Freedom of speech and all that. :P
v ( ^ o ^ ) vImagev ( - _ - ) vImage\"( - ___ - )"/Image

Issy

Post by Issy » Jan 14th, '14, 10:58

\( -o _ o- )/ wrote:Awww Issy, don't be so strict. I'm sure Kdrama discussion can include parodies. Freedom of speech and all that. :P
I didn't mean to be strict. If my post sounded like that, I apologise. But isn't better to have a drama discussion thread containing every thing than just a parody part? Why make two threads for same drama when you can have one ?
Well, that's how I see it at least. :salut:

Viande

Post by Viande » Jan 14th, '14, 13:07

I think it would be more convenient to have a proper drama thread for this drama since we don't have one yet. If you can just change the name by removing "Parody Scenes" and add some info in the first post (optional but easy to just copy paste from dramawiki), it should be enough. I'm sure we have people here who are watching this (me including) and would be interested sharing their opinions. :-)

E-Licious

Post by E-Licious » Jan 14th, '14, 14:08

Edited

Viande

Post by Viande » Jan 14th, '14, 14:26

Thank you, looks good! :cheers:

Can't wait for this week's episodes. I'm curious how they're going proceed the romance. I'm a bit worried how this is going to end. Of course I wish for a happy ending but at the same time I can't stop thinking what would be most likely kdrama ending and all I can think of ain't happy. Their theme 'destiny' only adds extra worries.

shiofmedea

Post by shiofmedea » Jan 14th, '14, 20:42

I know JJH does a lot of CFs but I haven't really seen many of them. Are there some where she acts like that? That's funny :lol
not like that but she is dancing in some