Recommended Anime?

Talk about the culture and entertainment from Nihon.

Recommended Anime?

Post by 60610 » May 9th, '05, 19:34

I am new at this. So do not mind me asking such a noobie question.

What do you recommend as the best anime there is? And where can I get it?

So far, I already have Bleach and Naruto. Know any others?

jdw112

Post by jdw112 » May 9th, '05, 19:41

Rurouni Kenshin (1-95 plus 6 OVA's and 1 movie)
Last Exile
Cowboy Bebop
X-tv

I am not sure where you can get them, but I suggest trying some DC++ anime hubs or some IRC channels :)

In case you want to be an upright citizen, you could always rent/buy the DVD's for these programs.

massaru
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by massaru » May 9th, '05, 19:44

I suggest you try checking sites like: http://anidb.info/perl-bin/animedb.pl (lot`s of reviews, fansub groups links, newest episodes, top ten list and so on).

As for recommendations, that`s very personal, each one has a different taste so it`s hard to say but there are numerous good choices out there.

For bittorrent downloads: http://www.animesuki.com/ and http://www.downloadanime.org/

And try searching for anime forums, I`m sure there are plenty around, you`ll probably have more luck asking for info and suggestions there, after all, here we`re all drama addicts so it`s pretty much a different audience.

Datcyde

Post by Datcyde » May 9th, '05, 19:46

You can try doing a google search on boxtorrents. As for recommended animes, here are some

Wolf's rain
Heat Guy J
Gun Grave
Samurai Champloo
Initial-D
Saikano
FLCL
GTO

Ther is so much more but try these out.

Post by 60610 » May 9th, '05, 19:50

Most of these animes you guys listed... I never see before.

Thank you for the links. I will definitely check them out.

So why don't this site has anime? This site has mostly TV shows. What about the movies?

Tekuza

Post by Tekuza » May 9th, '05, 19:50

Bleach and Naruto are 2 of my favs but i recommend watching from the list below here are some of my personal fav series

Action/Fighting
Inuyasha
Getbackers
Hellsing
Berserk
Kenshin of course TV series (only coz it's longer and you see the story build up)
Flame of Recca
Yuyu Hakusho
Shaman King

Sports
Prince Of Tennis (hence my nick)
Buzzer Beater
Slam Dunk

Romance/Comedy/Drama
Azumanga Diaoh
Excel Saga
GTO
Love Hina
Fruits Basket (the character is the identical look and attitute of Ichigo from Bleach one of my fav characters as well as shigure)

Btw reason is this site is mainly Asian Drama Series not anime :P

Hinakun

Post by Hinakun » May 9th, '05, 20:13

A-MUST SEE:
KENSHIN TV+OVA+MOVIES
SLAMDUNK+MOVIES
YUYU HAKUSHO
GTO ANIME

CLASSICS:
DR. SLUM
SDF MACROSS
H2
TOUCH+MOVIES
ORANGE ROAD+OVA+MOVIES

New:
ICHIGO 100
INITIAL-D

Pretty Good:
DNA
Gundam Seed
Love Hina
Naruto
Inuyasha
Prince Of Tennis

TOO MANY.. these are what i can think of the moment

groink

Post by groink » May 9th, '05, 20:27

I can't personally suggest anime to watch because of my unpopular taste with the people here. I can, however, suggest a good anime web site to check out: E2046

http://forum.e2046.com/

That site is my primary hangout. It's oriented towards anime modeling (building and painting anime figurines), however the members there are the best! They are so creative in their modeling, and I'm still working my butt off trying to improve my skillset.

Here are just a few of what I've built/painted:

Hand Maid May

Aoyama Motoko from Love Hina

Right now, I'm building an Asuka Langley kit (Neon Genesis Evangelion). However, I need to get my compressor repaired first. :(

--- groink

kood
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by kood » May 9th, '05, 20:29

Damn! That's badass. I'd pay.

Post by 60610 » May 9th, '05, 20:45

Dang! Bittorents!

Do any of you know direct download links to Slam Dunk or Prince of Tennis? And Detective Conan?

By the way you guys say it, it looks very intersting..

Hey the anime models looks awesome!

chudaps

Post by chudaps » May 9th, '05, 20:55

If you liked Bleach and Naruto, you have to try Hunter X Hunter :thumright:

The torrents can be found at http://animesuki.com. For Detective Conan, here's the torrent link --> http://anime-conan.net/phpbt/.

Post by 60610 » May 9th, '05, 21:00

chudaps wrote:If you liked Bleach and Naruto, you have to try Hunter X Hunter :thumright:

The torrents can be found at http://animesuki.com. For Detective Conan, here's the torrent link --> http://anime-conan.net/phpbt/.
I will definitely checkout Hunter X Hunter. You got any non-torrent download links? My college firewall disable torrent downloads.

Hinakun

Post by Hinakun » May 9th, '05, 21:07

groink wrote:Image
Hand Maid May
--- groink
Is the Hand Maid May figure complete?

How long doest it take you to complete one? The look very professionaly to me~~ what kinda materials do you use? any help resource url/site to get started if you want to work on your own figure?

armaniboi

Depends..

Post by armaniboi » May 9th, '05, 21:08

If you prefer more shoujo (girl) titles or shounen (guy) titles.

Basically shoujo anime/manga are more centered on females, emotions and relationships. Shounen tends to be focused more on action and some can tend to be perverted (catering to male fan-service).

Either way, these are the titles that have been big things in my anime life as things that have started or renewed my love for anime:

Ranma 1/2 (started my anime-ness when I was a young kid) - long, lots of filler eps, but subtle nuances are good. Watch OAVs if anything.

Fushigi Yuugi
Cowboy Bebop
Love Hina
Full Metal Alchemist

yt_toshi
Virgin Islands (USA)

Post by yt_toshi » May 9th, '05, 21:39

60610 wrote:
chudaps wrote:If you liked Bleach and Naruto, you have to try Hunter X Hunter :thumright:

I will definitely checkout Hunter X Hunter. You got any non-torrent download links? My college firewall disable torrent downloads.
I would guess the answer to the non-torrent download links is NO. Unless someone sent you a link by yousendit or by clubbox, the answer is NO.
60610 wrote:So why don't this site has anime? This site has mostly TV shows. What about the movies?
Read appropriate thread --> here, here (look under Q5), and here
Oh, btw, here's a link that would suit you most -->here :idea:. This way, if you had a question and wanted a quick answer to them, this is the best way to find out if it's already been asked. If not, then ask the question to the appropriate thread, n00b. :-)

chudaps

Post by chudaps » May 9th, '05, 21:51

Well, I actually don't know about non-torrent sources for HXH tv series, but I did find (and am downloading right now) the second and third OVA series at AnimeOne's botlist. If you know how to use IRC to download files, this is usually a lot faster than torrents (especially if they're a few years back).

Check this link out for a list of files being served by AnimeOne's bot --> http://www.webpost.net/ao/AonE/aonexdcc.txt There's a lot of people in the queue (sometimes I get queue numbers around 180+ or even 300+), but it usually just takes a few minutes before your turn. This bot has a lot of sending slots :D But you need to keep a minimum speed of 29kb/s.

I'll try to look for some non-torrent downloads for the tv series and the first OVA :-)

groink

Post by groink » May 9th, '05, 23:07

Hinakun wrote:How long doest it take you to complete one? The look very professionaly to me~~ what kinda materials do you use? any help resource url/site to get started if you want to work on your own figure?
Yes, the figurine you see in the photo is complete. The only piece that's missing is the USB cable coming out of her butt (I'm not kidding! In the anime, she has to be powered up via the USB port on a PC because her original charging unit broke). I left it off because it was much too heavy, and I thought it would eventually break off.

Fortunately, this kit came straight from the original manufacturer. Original kits aren't cheap... A single kit is about US$75 to $150 average, un-built and un-painted. They're usually made of either white resin or vinyl material. Hand Maid May is a 1/6 scale kit, and is made of white resin, which is easier to work with (sanding, drilling, gluing, etc.) It took me about 96 hours total to complete the kit, which spanned about one month.

As for the materials used... I used TAMIYA paints, and TESTORS modeling glue. I air brushed the skin tones, including shading, and the red dress. The more detailed painting was done by hand using a fine brush. I usually don't finish my pieces with clear cloat because I don't like them to shine. I personally prefer a dull finish.

To start from the beginning, I highly recommend this web site: http://clik.to/the_zone

--- groink

apples

Post by apples » May 9th, '05, 23:21

I wonder why some people forgot these ones:

FullMetal Alchemist or Hagaren no Renkinjutsushi
-it was really weird at first, but when the story started to unfold, i couldn't keep up with their pace. every episode leaves you wanting for more. it leaves you asking so many questions. and somehow, you try to connect the dots but at the end, you realize it creates a bigger picture than you first thought.

Rurouni Kenshin/ Samurai X
-a classic. though it really sucked in the last arc. but the kyoto arc was really great!

FullMetal Panic! and FullMetal Panic Fumuffo
-this has some more comedy and some action too. completely unrelated to FMA

Naruto
-guess i just got used to this already

Gundam Seed
-err.. i hated anything robots/mecha... but it's worth a try, maybe you'll learn there's more into it than just robots.

Hana Yori Dango
-shojou though. how can i forget this! Meteor Garden 1 was based on this (or its manga). I loved it! It's what ultimately led me to jem's or jtv's site, then finally here at d-addicts.

X
-but it's way too serious and really sad. nice animation..

DarReNz
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by DarReNz » May 9th, '05, 23:39

apples wrote:I wonder why some people forgot these ones:

-it was really weird at first, but when the story started to unfold, i couldn't keep up with their pace. every episode leaves you wanting for more. it leaves you asking so many questions. and somehow, you try to connect the dots but at the end, you realize it creates a bigger picture than you first thought.

-a classic. though it really sucked in the last arc. but the kyoto arc was really great!

Naruto

Gundam Seed
-err.. i hated anything robots/mecha... but it's worth a try, maybe you'll learn there's more into it than just robots.

Hana Yori Dango
-shojou though. how can i forget this! Meteor Garden 1 was based on this (or its manga). I loved it! It's what ultimately led me to jem's or jtv's site, then finally here at d-addicts.

X
don't forget Gundam Seed Destiny ......

otcho

Post by otcho » May 9th, '05, 23:47

KARESHI KANOJO NO JIJOU

nikeg

Post by nikeg » May 9th, '05, 23:52

Full Metal Alchemist and Initial D

apples

Post by apples » May 9th, '05, 23:53

DarReNz wrote: don't forget Gundam Seed Destiny ......
well, if someone watches gundam seed, they're bound to watch the second season. :P

i'm not sure if i'll end up liking it though, i don't like the main character :x. and the characters i liked seem to have changed :glare: and what about muu? :cry:

DarReNz
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by DarReNz » May 9th, '05, 23:56

apples wrote:
well, if someone watches gundam seed, they're bound to watch the second season. :P

i'm not sure if i'll end up liking it though, i don't like the main character :x. and the characters i liked seem to have changed :glare: and what about muu? :cry:
ermm didn't he died in the first season at the last episode ooops ......

DarReNz
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by DarReNz » May 9th, '05, 23:57

nikeg wrote:Full Metal Alchemist and Initial D
gonna watch Initial D The Movie :-)

apples

Post by apples » May 10th, '05, 00:00

DarReNz wrote:
apples wrote:

SPOILER
better try to hide that though.. might spoil others.. i know what happened already, my bro pointed out a scene from the second opening (ramius devastated and pointing a gun at someone) and finally the third opening. i preferred they stuck with what happened in season one, it's sad that he's bad now (or is he?)

isuzu

Post by isuzu » May 10th, '05, 00:34

My absolute favorite anime is Fruits basket. I think boys and girls will both really enjoy it.

lilrabbit

Post by lilrabbit » May 10th, '05, 01:14

apples wrote:I wonder why some people forgot these ones:

Naruto

Gundam Seed

Hana Yori Dango

X
Yeah, I was wondering why Fullmetal Alchemist (Hagane no Renkinjutsushi or "Hagaren") wasn't mentioned right away.

Meteor Garden was the reason I found D-Addicts, too! :D

To the initial poster, I'm not sure what type of genre you like, but here are some of my favorites:

Hikaru no Go - story revolves around the Chinese strategy game Go. I might seem like an uninteresting subject, but the story really captures you even if you don't understand the game.

Kyou Kara Maou! (Kyo kara Maoh!) - If you like fantasy, this one's for you. A boy gets a swirly and is transported to another world through the toilet...and then discovers that he is the king. This one is really funny...but there are some boy-love undertones (it actually adds to the humor).

BECK - This one starts off slow, but gets better as it goes alond. It's about a boy and the development of a rock band.

School Rumble - This one is really hilarious!

Yakitate!! Japan - A story about a boy trying to develop a national bread called "Ja-pan."

The Prince of Tennis (Tennis no Ohjisama)

Aishiteruze Baby - This one is shoujo (girl's anime), but my brother got hooked on it. It's about a high school playboy who ends up having to take care of his young cousin.

DarReNz
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by DarReNz » May 10th, '05, 01:41

apples wrote:
DarReNz wrote:
apples wrote:

SPOILER
better try to hide that though.. might spoil others.. i know what happened already, my bro pointed out a scene from the second opening (ramius devastated and pointing a gun at someone) and finally the third opening. i preferred they stuck with what happened in season one, it's sad that he's bad now (or is he?)
well most of the characters are back in the destiny ..... it's just in the later episodes .....

azn_wrx

Post by azn_wrx » May 10th, '05, 01:53

Groink the Hand Maid May figurine is awesome. That anime is always funny to watch.

Crazy...

zdoon
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by zdoon » May 10th, '05, 02:05

otcho wrote:KARESHI KANOJO NO JIJOU
That and Azumanga Daioh are among my top favorites. :)

I also like

Her and Her Cat
Voices from a Distant Star
Goldenboy
Berserk
Chobits
Cowboy Bebop
GTO
Little Snow Fairy Sugar
The first OVAs for Samurai X (?)
Fruit Basket
Angelic Layer
Visions of Escaflowne

Aw, all the above represent high quality, well produced entertainment. I recommend the following site for reviews:

http://www.animeacademy.com/

dysphemism

Post by dysphemism » May 11th, '05, 13:38

Here are some which are really good.

Beck
School Rumble
Full Metal Alchemist
Mai-Hime

and here are some sites where u can get anime

www.boxtorrents.com (mostly older and completed animes)
www.animeyume.com ( recent releases they list licensed anime too)
www.animesuki.com ( i know most of u should know about this site)

apples

Post by apples » May 11th, '05, 13:44

http://www.anime-source.com/banzai/modu ... e=Releases
-just like downloadanime.org, they have the recent releases. however, they also have reviews for almost every anime. so you get to see some screenshots, synopsis and some reviews there.

DarReNz
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by DarReNz » May 12th, '05, 02:08

jaycee05
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by jaycee05 » May 15th, '05, 21:05

My current favorite is :pirate: One Piece :pirate: !
I wasn't planning to watch it all, coz I thought it'll be overrated with the usual pirates and their gold...plus, when I saw Luffy on the banners..hak hak...he looked like an anorexic kid wearing a straw hat...I thought it'll be bad animation...
But, mannnnnnnn, am I glad I read my old schoolmate's friendster's profile, and he had One Piece on his fave shows...
I love this anime so much :wub: ...
Character Development is excellent!!!!!
You'll definitely be attached to the 7 characters ( or are they 8 now? lemme see...luffy, zoro, nami, sanji, usopp, robin, chooper...yup, 7 it is)...my fave characters are luffy and zoro, of course :heart: ...but you'll love them all, nonetheless...it's the best anime-team I'd ever seen!
And the comedy :lol :lol :lol ...but I did cry in some episodes( esp. on Nami's and Vivi's story)

My other favorite ones:

Slam Dunk!- Sakuragi's voice sounded weird, but I got used to it...The matches are so exciting, it felt like I was watching real basketball...and "tensai" Sakuragi was just so damn funny!!!!!!!!! I still havent seen the last 3 episodes coz I couldnt find them anywhere, but I continued the story by reading the manga...and Inoue Takehiko had become one of my favorite manga writers...
Fullmetal Alchemist-one of the most intense animes I'd ever seen...when I thought it won't happen..i was wrong...It did happen. I wasn't satisfied with the ending though, I hope they extended it with a couple more episodes. But the plot is unique and very interesting! Edo~ :lol so paranoid with his height, just like how paranoid jholic is with his age.
Hunter x Hunter- Once upon a time, I was obsess with this anime...and I still am. I would love to watch it again. I like Killua than Gon though, and Hisoka is such a cool villain
Fullmetal Panic! Fumoffu! - Hilarious!!! :lol :lol

I used to like:
Naruto--My first BT file ever...but wat's up with the FLASHBACKS???????
Prince of Tennis--It started to suck after ep 107(?)...I stopped watching it, coz it repeats and repeats and repeats...I love the fillers though...

I hated:
kimi ga nozomu ein :thumbdown: - I watched this coz I always see it on the top three animes on animenfo...how could ppol have such bad taste? blehhh...Don't waste your time on it...just watch a kdrama...even the worst kdrama would be better than this!

I don't like romance animes...nor the ones that have robots on them :dopey: ...
but I did watch some Voltes V...hahaha...what's up with this anime? why is it so popular? Or is it just in our country?
and I also loved the animes based on classic novels/stories...(the sound of music, patrash, sarah~ the little princess/ cedi, the little prince, zoro, the three musketeers, peter pan, little women/men, tom sawyer and huck,...etc) and the ninja/tournament fighting animes (DBZ, yuyu hakusho...etc) I've seen them a long, long time ago when I was still at the Philippines...I would like to see those animes based on classic novels...but I couldnt find them anywhere in the net.

rossier

Post by rossier » May 16th, '05, 17:00

I recommend the followings, they are my personal fave :

Recent and still showing :

1. Naruto
2. Bleach
3. Yakitake Japan
4. School Rumble
5. Trinitry Blood
6. Law of Ueki
7. Marchen Awaken Romance
8. Honey and Clover
9. Gakujou Seitokai
10. Bokutsatsu Tenshi Dokuro-chan
11. He is my master

Completed :

1. Tactics
2. Trigun
3. Midori no hibi
4. Fruit Basket
5. Ranma 1/2
6. Tenshi no Konamaiki (Cheeky Angel)
7. Gash Bell

The list would be too long if i write down everything...

Shindou-Kun
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Shindou-Kun » May 16th, '05, 17:25

1. Gravitation :D
2. Hikaru no Go :D
3. Hunter X Hunter :-)
4. Full Moon
5. Banner and Crest of the Stars

and MANY MANY more. These are just the ones that have left an impression on me that I remember while typing this reply.

nim

Post by nim » Aug 5th, '05, 22:15

2. Hikaru no Go :D
...your avatar.. does it happen in the anime? (*fracture-crossing fingers*)
never continued after first few episodes.
..or is it some unromantic hentai doujin?
(or non-hentai, actually romantic doujin?)
((edit: or romantic AND hentai doujin?!? *rr nosebleed*))

sour_pickles

Post by sour_pickles » Aug 6th, '05, 08:14

some of the ones i didn't see mentioned:
-tenchi muyo
-oh my goddess

and what about sailormoon?! hahaha, j/k

animetama
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by animetama » Aug 6th, '05, 08:37

nim wrote:((edit: or romantic AND hentai doujin?!? *rr nosebleed*))
hahaha
/me nosebleeds too!
:lol

This season:
FMP:TSR (Full Metal Panic! The Second Raid)
GS Destiny
Honey & Clover

Grab them while they are hot!

kusmog

Post by kusmog » Aug 6th, '05, 09:42

kind of an old thread ^^;; but i'll give my two cents:

I'd recommend:
Slam Dunk - like the previous poster who mentioned this series said, Sakuragi is hilarious. It's also one of the more better sports anime out there and prolly the series that started the trend (that means hikaru no go, prince of tennis, initial d... etc) you really can pick up alot of things about basketball. The way they animate it is great even! It's not like the simple dribble, jump straight up into the air, shoot you see in other anime. You'll see crossovers (hell, Iverson would frickin smile in approval with Haruko's crossover in the intro), pump fakes, behind the back, off the backboard dunks, etc. I think many will be surprised how they may find themselves liking this series even if they don't like basketball. It's also a story about comraderie ^^ I think this is my fave series of all time ever. (seems to be popular with asian ppl....esp those that were born in asia. it never caught onto my non-asian friends =P) I've also noticed many Japanese ppl I've met love it too. Slow Dance brings it up. If you saw Battle Royale, one of the kids was reading the new edition deluxe version of the manga. It's a classic for the teens, whereas Dragon Ball (Z included) is a classic for the children. heh.
hunhunhunhunhunhunhunhunhunhunhunhunhunhunhunhunhunhunhunhunhun!!!

Full Moon wo Sagashite - i dismissed this series easily after skimming through the first eps of what was just a random download. It looked so girly and childish. 2 years later my friend suggests this series to me so I relunctantly gave it a shot. It's good! The main character who's like... how old is she? i forgot. 12? 13? she sounds like she's 30! oi~ but when you look past that, the story is very deep and actually quite mature. If you like drama (hehe *wink* d-addicts... *wink*) and some old school jpop this maybe something worth looking into.

Rurouni Kenshin Tv anime series Kyoto Chapter: Please, I beg you, do yourself a favor and skip the rest of this series before it leaves a bad impression on you of this series. I would suggest you watch maybe just the first couple of episodes from the beginning as they introduce all the characters that come into play in the Kyoto chapter. Feel free to skip any filler eps tho. Most of em are bleh. Once the story goes to Kyoto, sit back and enjoy the ride. I'll bet it's the only reason why Kenshin got so popular back in the late 90s. cuz really after that, the series SUCKED. Christianity chapter was ok but to sit through all the fillers to get to it was painfully boring. If you like fantasy samurai swordplay and a little bit of historical fiction, this'll hit the spot.

School Rumble - friggin hilarious!! A parody-ridden anime.... with a working romantic plot to it! =D It's like a more mature version of Azumanga Daioh. Occassionally though I came across a few boring eps, and I noticed they were eps without Harima, or either of the Tsukamoto sisters. I think they were busy exploring a possible shoujo-ai relationship. heh. some of you may like that but I didn't. Harima, both Tsukamoto Tenma and Yakumo make this series well worth watching. And the love trian... uh... webs, rather, make the series very entertaining! ^__^

Full Metal Panic Fumoffu - for some reason I can't remember too much of it. But I do remember finding it VERY funny! Bonta-kun steals the show. matter of fact, "fumoffu!" is the only thing that Bonta-kun can say. ~__^ Features the same cast of characters from the original Full Metal Panic anime series, and brought into the parody spinoff genre world.

Slayers - 'japanese rpg' gamers can prolly most appreciate this series. rest assured it's a comedy series. but towards the end of every series of Slayers, it gets down and dirty, as if you were preparing to fight the final boss in an rpg game. Spells (incantations included), treasure, myth, currency, classes... all that rpg jazz stays faithful with Slayers. I've always thought "Slayers"(the first series) was the best of the three, but they were meant to be watched in order as they are continuous. Slayers Try (the last of the 3) was my second fave.

Kareshi Kanojo no Jijou - this is another good series for the drama crowd ~__^ in a high school setting, it tackles almost every different relationships they can think of between boy and girl in one series (even the mom and dad!). At first midway through the series I thought there was no true villain in this series. I later came to the conclusion that the main villain in this series is one's self. This being a GAINAX series, some direction from Evangelion was borrowed and used for this romantic/comedy/drama. It's more heavy on the drama than the comedy though. There's alot of self narration by the characters explaining their thoughts and how and why they go about things and I think they did a superb job of it..until the end. but that's Gainax for ya. the ending makes sense. just... kinda leaves you expecting more...

long post but I had fun recollecting these cool anime titles ^^;; been so long since I watched anime though. I feel like watching School Rumble again tho o_o;

Romance

Post by Romance » Aug 6th, '05, 09:58

GTO, best anime ever :)

Romance

Post by Romance » Aug 6th, '05, 10:18

jaycee05 wrote:My current favorite is :pirate: One Piece :pirate: !

I hated:
kimi ga nozomu ein :thumbdown: - I watched this coz I always see it on the top three animes on animenfo...how could ppol have such bad taste? blehhh...Don't waste your time on it...just watch a kdrama...even the worst kdrama would be better than this!
Thought that one was beauitful, maybe corny, but to see such a drama in anime was different.

chunlau

Post by chunlau » Aug 6th, '05, 10:22

u can get ONE PIECE from
http://www.kaizoku-fansubs.com/
this is a really good series worth to get.

chunlau

u can get ONE PIECE from

chunlau

u can get ONE PIECE from

misslady717

Post by misslady717 » Aug 7th, '05, 18:31

my all time favorite is sailor moon! once you get past the filler episodes it can be really good.

and then full moon wo sagashite is really good too. they both make me cry...

inuyasha is fun to watch but you get discouraged after 167 episodes and no ending

those are the main ones i recommend... but the manga for all of them have a better story...

Starfire12

Post by Starfire12 » Aug 10th, '05, 07:09

Here we go my favourites:

Gundam Seed: Action AND story. Saying that Gundam Seed is only about Robot fights would be like saying Babylon5 is only about space battles. Can't say just how gripping the storyline is without giving away spoilers. Just watch it.

Slayers: Hilariously funny. Especially if your GF is also a redhead with a temper and a BIG appetite! Don't consider it very RPGesce simply fantasy - comedy.

Rurouni Kenshin: Already enough said about that one.

Banner of Stars / Crest of Stars: An Empire of Space-Elves fighting against evil Human democracies. The closest thing to the Honor Harrington series on screen.

& Finally: not really Japanese Anime, but also good: the 2 Discworld animated Series Soul Music and Wyrd Sisters

Milai Sapphire

Post by Milai Sapphire » Aug 11th, '05, 09:36

My favs that I would recommend. Seems like everyone has covered them:

Prince of Tennis: Quite a few people mentioned this, but I love it so much that I'll say it again.

Gakuen Alice: This one is really funny. It's pretty much about a girl (Mikan) whose best friend Hotaru goes off to some special school, so follows her there. Turns out to be a place for students with that have an "Alice", which is kind of like a magical ability of some sort. (i.e. control fire or make really cool gadgets). Torrents available for this one. (Note: fansubbers take a while to release the episodes...-___-)

Law of Ueki: A really weird anime, but interesting after a while in my opinon. Here's a reasonably good summary of it: Law of Ueki. It's been licensed by Geneon though, so give it a while to come out on DVD (saw some of it before they announced that it was licensed). Although there might be torrents lurking around...

Tsubasa Chronicle: Basically, it's what happens alongside xxxHolic the manga, but it you don't know xxxHolic (which I didn't before), you won't be lost at all. A CLAMP series, here's a summary: Summary. One of my favorite recent animes.

That's all I feel like posting up now, since that's what I'm watching a lot lately when I'm not watching a drama series. Yup, don't know if you'll like my suggestions, but take them into consideration and see if you like them. (Just realized this is an old thread...months old, but oh well..^^; Never know who might want anime suggestions).

nezumi

Post by nezumi » Aug 11th, '05, 10:19

if you want loads of laughs i'l have to recommend one of my all time favs GTO
k, the artwork isnt amazing but u'l be be in stitches watching onizuka's antics.

another that im currently addicted to is yakitate! japan who would have thought u could crave the simplest things such as bread....made me wana find myself a baker XD

theres just too much good anime out there atm but to give u an idea just click on http://www.animenfo.com/statistic/top.php?type=anime
Last edited by nezumi on Aug 14th, '05, 09:16, edited 1 time in total.

Yoroshiku

Post by Yoroshiku » Aug 12th, '05, 06:46

Yakitate JaPan!!! a must watch!! very funny.

gelyn

Post by gelyn » Aug 12th, '05, 11:46

this season:
tsubasa chronicles

past season:
sailormoon ~ my all time favorite
card captor sakura
clamp campus detective
canon
fruit basket
marmalade boy
neon genesis evangelion
full metal panic
escaflowne
saiyuki

hmm.. maybe i missed some...

jyrds

Post by jyrds » Nov 23rd, '05, 17:52

hrmz, my personal list of favourites. I have weird tastes, or so people say. Also, where is the manga love? Oh, and refrain from anime bashing. :P I have many dislikes.

Evangelion
Saikano
Mahoromatic S1
Berserk
3x3 eyes
Cowboy Bebop
Futakoi Alternative
Sousei no Aquarion
Hanaukyo Maids La Verite
I's
Onegai Teacher
s.CRY.ed
Tales of Phantasia (based of the SNES game)

And then there is the mecha
Macross
Macross Plus
Macross II
Macross Zero
Macross 7
MS Gundam
MS Gundam 0083
MS Gundam ZZ
MF Gundam G
MS Gundam 8th MS Team
Zoids Chaotic Century
Zoids New Century
Zoids Genesis
Yukikaze

chckboy5

Post by chckboy5 » Nov 23rd, '05, 18:25

full metal alchemist
one piece
hunter x hunter
prince of tennis

beer

Post by beer » Nov 23rd, '05, 18:30

Hanaukyo Maids - the original version.

I've made it a rule that I never recommend anything else because it suits all needs. :P

wachi

Post by wachi » Nov 23rd, '05, 18:41

One Piece is good, but too long, not sure if you can still catch up.
I like Yakitate!! Japan, an anime about bread, no, not boring. It's actually quite funny.

This thread died around August, I didn't even noticed.

makino

Post by makino » Nov 23rd, '05, 19:29

Initial D (I swear after you watch this you'll want to street race..lol. really good music too)
Visions of Escaflowne
Trigun
Cowboy Bebop
Great Teacher Onizuka
Macross Plus
Rourouni Kenshin (w/ oavs)
Hana Yori Dango
Kareshi kanojo no jijou (his and her circumstances)
Grave of the Fireflies
Princess Mononoke (music and animation are really good)\
Spirits within

I cant think of anymore at the moment but will post more when i rmbr

good sites

http://www.baka-updates.com (mother of anime sites)
http://a.scarywater.net/ (has a loooooot of dls)

hmm_yeh

Post by hmm_yeh » Nov 23rd, '05, 21:55

I'd recommend two of my all time favorite animes..
Hana Yori Dango [this, incase you are not aware, has been made into a drama by both Taiwan (MG) and Japan (now aring).. It's a great anime, I absolutely couldn't get enough of it!!]
Fushigi Yugi [wonderful anime, a little dark, but you'd fall inlove with the characters] :wub:

ajewell

Post by ajewell » Nov 23rd, '05, 22:41

I've seen a LOT of anime, but Ranma 1/2 will always be my favorite. It has comedy, romance, martial arts, and a main character who can turn into a girl when splashed with cold water. :thumleft:

slippyepic

Post by slippyepic » Nov 24th, '05, 02:06

This is a link to the top-200 anime against the user ratings.

http://www.animenfo.com/statistic/top.php?type=anime

All the top 20 items are worth watching, if maybe not in that order.

I think anidb has a similar feature, but that site is down at the moment.

beer

Post by beer » Nov 27th, '05, 20:21

groink wrote: Aoyama Motoko from Love Hina
She'd probably chop off one of your limbs for those impure thoughts embedded in that figurine. But darn, she was by far the hottest chick in Love Hina.
isuzu wrote:My absolute favorite anime is Fruits basket. I think boys and girls will both really enjoy it.
This boy has no idea what people see in it.
lilrabbit wrote: Hikaru no Go - story revolves around the Chinese strategy game Go. I might seem like an uninteresting subject, but the story really captures you even if you don't understand the game.
Ridiculously addictive. And it really should be paired up with Chinese Cooking Master Boy. And should you get CCMB, then be sure not to miss the April Fools Special released by Anime-Keep (probably better to watch after the anime is over ;)).
lilrabbit wrote:Yakitate!! Japan - A story about a boy trying to develop a national bread called "Ja-pan."
Two words: Michael Schumacher. :P I wonder whether that's how he's seen in Japan. i considered sending him the episode.
jaycee05 wrote: Slam Dunk!- Sakuragi's voice sounded weird, but I got used to it...The matches are so exciting, it felt like I was watching real basketball...and "tensai" Sakuragi was just so damn funny!!!!!!!!! I still havent seen the last 3 episodes coz I couldnt find them anywhere, but I continued the story by reading the manga...and Inoue Takehiko had become one of my favorite manga writers...
Did the last 5 minutes of Ryonan match last for 6 or 7 episodes? It's almost worse than Naruto, though it may seem impossible. :P
I have the episodes you're missing (99-101 [UNF] unless you meant something else that I probably have as well), so if you're prepared to be my slave for a few dozen years until I die - PM me and I'll arrange something.
makino wrote:Initial D (I swear after you watch this you'll want to street race..lol. really good music too)
Yes. LOL. While it's a pretty neat anime otherwise you'll have a new appreciation for earplugs to stop the bleeding caused by that music. And the music is getting worse each season... :alcoholic:

Schala

Post by Schala » Nov 28th, '05, 12:48

Ever since I got into J-drama, my interest in anime has decreased greatly. >> But as of right now, my all time favs are....

Fullmetal Alchemist (I still watch this, even now)
GTO
Revolutionary Girl Utena
Sailor Moon (it's classic ;_;<3)
Kare Kano
Ayashi no Ceres
Rurouni Kenshin (not past Kyoto Arc...it sucks after that)

daalig

Post by daalig » Nov 28th, '05, 12:55

This thread is lacking my two favourite series.

Monster
Touch

REIRA

Post by REIRA » Nov 28th, '05, 13:20

My favourite anime:

FLCL-furikuri totally crazy, but you must see it!!
KareKano I loved it, Yukino Miyazawa is the best character I have ever seen
Haibane Renmei
Serial Experiment Lain

x_XJules
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by x_XJules » Nov 28th, '05, 13:24

REIRA wrote:Serial Experiment Lain
Sooooo amazing!!! i reccommend this one too!

man, the second time i watched lain it was a real trip. lots of subtle hints i never noticed.

surrealistic-destiny

Post by surrealistic-destiny » Nov 28th, '05, 13:34

Schala wrote:Ever since I got into J-drama, my interest in anime has decreased greatly. >> But as of right now, my all time favs are....

Fullmetal Alchemist (I still watch this, even now)
GTO
Revolutionary Girl Utena
Sailor Moon (it's classic ;_;<3)
Kare Kano
Ayashi no Ceres
Rurouni Kenshin (not past Kyoto Arc...it sucks after that)
*nods* I agree.
I mean ever since I started watching dramas, I haven't touched my anime for ages. <<;;
however I recommend:

Loveless :wub:
gundam seed/ destiny
fruits basket<---this is a must
full moon wo sagashite
kaikan phrase- if you like rock bands
X TV. this is rather angsty
Vampire Hunter D

i can't think of any more at the moment so i will post some more later XD

whoa this thread IS old....didn't realise it.

mikey009

Post by mikey009 » Nov 28th, '05, 13:54

Great Anime

Gundam Seed
Gundam Seed Destiny

Full Metal Alchemest (BEST ANIME EVA)

Bleach

Kenshin
Kenshin OVA (Samurai X, )

Samurai Champoo

OK Amine

Elfien laid

Naruto

Mai hime

mikey009

Post by mikey009 » Nov 28th, '05, 13:56

nezumi wrote:if you want loads of laughs i'l have to recommend one of my all time favs GTO
k, the artwork isnt amazing but u'l be be in stitches watching onizuka's antics.

another that im currently addicted to is yakitate! japan who would have thought u could crave the simplest things such as bread....made me wana find myself a baker XD

theres just too much good anime out there atm but to give u an idea just click on http://www.animenfo.com/statistic/top.php?type=anime
yeah i know, even if the series is extremly lame i cant stop watching it

flipnicity

Post by flipnicity » Nov 28th, '05, 14:13

These are some of the ones I can think of:

1) Fullmoon wo Sagashite
2) Full Metal Alchemist
3) Chobits
4) Bleach
5) Outlaw Star
6) Kimi ga Nozomu Eien
7) Gravitation (shounen ai warning)

flipnicity

Post by flipnicity » Nov 28th, '05, 14:14

oh yeah... Mai Hime was good too!

daalig

Post by daalig » Nov 28th, '05, 14:18

I found it! Here's my full list I did a while ago.

Top Series
20. Samurai Champloo
19. H2
18. Fruits Basket
17. Major
16. Peach Girl
15. Maria-sa ga Miteru
14. One Piece
13. Great Teacher Onizuka
12. Aishiteruze Baby
11. Hunter X Hunter + 3 OVAs
10. Hikari No Go
9. School Rumble
8. Legend of Galactic Hereos
7. Maison Ikkoku
6. Hajime No Ippo
5. Gankutsuou
4. Tenshi No Konamaiki
3. Monster
2. Kare Kano
1. Touch

aerithkho

Post by aerithkho » Nov 28th, '05, 14:29

best anime -----> BLEACH :thumright:

some of my favorite

Kenshin
Junni kokki
Naruto
Tsubasa Chronicle
Card Captor Sakura
Hana Yori Dango
FMA
FMP , FMP Second Raid
Ashiteru Baby
Gundam Seed , Gundam Seed Destiny
Fruit Basket
GTO ( Live Action much nicer )
Gokusen ( Live Action )

evosantin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by evosantin » Nov 28th, '05, 14:33

Kimi ga Nozomu Eien....:cry: the best.

Gundam SEED, maybe? (not DESTINY)

Densha Otoko

Post by Densha Otoko » Nov 28th, '05, 14:39

It depends on what genres you like.

If you want action, check out Cowboy Bebop.
If you want something insanely funny, check out Jungle wa itsumo Hare nochi Guu.
If you want a thriller, check out Perfect Blue.
If you want something cute, check out My neighbor Totoro.
If you want something for pre-teen girls, check out Mahou no stage Fancy Lala.
If you want something sad, check out Grave of the Fireflies.
If you want a samurai-comedy including upskirt footage and a nasty dad, check out Labyrinth of Flames
If you want girls with giant tits riding a giant banana down a giant youghurt-slide get Eiken.
If you want a neverending series with lots and lots of filler-episodes get Bleach or Naruto.

If you want something romantic... Stick with Asian drama shows :)

Airhead

Post by Airhead » Nov 28th, '05, 16:15

favorites ....

Golden Boy ... a must see
Ghost in the Shell Movie`s and Series ... i`m wondering why nobody mentioned it
Now and Then , Here and There ---- Voices of a Distant Star .... tears granted
Martian Successor Nadesico Series + (END-)Movie ... below the surface a deeper meaning
Final Fantasy Advent Children .... no plot , nicest CG i`ve seen and play the backround music LOUD :thumleft:
Legend of Galactic Heroes ... yeeha, 165eps Space Opera :cheers:

and if u r on drugs .... PUNI PUNI POEMY

byebye ...

ps: i`m sorry for misspelling , offending and everything else :mrgreen:

K.T.Tran

Post by K.T.Tran » Nov 28th, '05, 17:48

Golden Boy is hilarious. did dl some of the manga, pretty funny, but i miss hearing Kentaro saying "study study study" and "this is very educational" :lol

Another pretty funny perverted anime is Green Green :mrgreen:

Fruits Basket was awesome. I would like to see more of it, read the manga, pretty interesting stuff, hope they do come out with more.