[Discussion] PRICELESS (Kimura Takuya, Karina)

Discuss Japanese drama series here.
taiyaki-kun

Post by taiyaki-kun » Dec 21st, '12, 08:40

kangxy67 wrote: Thank you for a polite reply/explanation.

Yea, that makes more sense. For some reason, I've had an impression that Kindaichi is going to look like a complete rag despite being just fired.
Don't blame you though. I think it has to do with the drama promotion, too. They built expectation from audiences that Takuya is going to play an unusual role - a homeless for the first time. So, people (including me too) expected to see a completely new look from him with him sleeping on a cardboard and all throughout the drama. But turns out the story was quite different from what I expected (not complaining though, still very much enjoyable to me :))

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Dec 21st, '12, 15:14

Peggy, my dear evil temptress, since you brought me down to this, answer: should I watch this? :mrgreen:

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Dec 21st, '12, 20:52

8)

Dear one,

I don't know anything about this drama since I have yet to watch it. I want to have several episodes in hand before I start off. I think it would be interesting to see Kimura playing this role. He is always good with children and there are a couple in this. not a family at all. Just street people. He has been fired apparently by trickery but he just keeps going anyway as a street person. I would not regard this as a tragedy and I doubt he will die at the end( in case that would break your heart.....)

Watch it and see how it goes. I know the first episode is a drag but it gets better.

He looks pretty gorgeous this time around. :whistling:

TempestRider

Post by TempestRider » Dec 22nd, '12, 14:18

i don't understand episode 7..i'm confused :scratch: . what's eating Nikaido-san, anyway? she should be happy because finally, things are going well for the company, but then she decided to leave Kindaichi and Moai-san on their own :-( ..hmm, i hope Kindaichi-san will be able to find a way to bring her back..

kakkoii

Post by kakkoii » Dec 24th, '12, 01:20

My reading is that she:

1. did not want to be a third-party to that guy's relationship

2. found herself falling in love with him

.....so she left.

switchgirl

Post by switchgirl » Dec 24th, '12, 07:44

TempestRider wrote:i don't understand episode 7..i'm confused :scratch: . what's eating Nikaido-san, anyway? she should be happy because finally, things are going well for the company, but then she decided to leave Kindaichi and Moai-san on their own :-( ..hmm, i hope Kindaichi-san will be able to find a way to bring her back..
maybe she thinks that she doesn't needed by Kindaichi and Moai anymore since what she had already done is useless. she thinks that she is just an useless person for them..

TempestRider

Post by TempestRider » Dec 30th, '12, 06:59

switchgirl wrote:maybe she thinks that she doesn't needed by Kindaichi and Moai anymore since what she had already done is useless. she thinks that she is just an useless person for them..
yeah, i think so, too..but then i still think it's a stupid move on her part..haven't watched epi8 yet, wonder where she's gone to after leaving kindaichi and moai..

Skyrocketo

Post by Skyrocketo » Dec 30th, '12, 15:40

Really looking forward to this! KimuTaku never disappoints ;-)
Last edited by Skyrocketo on Jan 13th, '13, 11:14, edited 1 time in total.

TempestRider

Post by TempestRider » Jan 9th, '13, 17:38

Skyrocketo wrote:Really looking forward to this! KimuTaku never disappoints ;-)
:thumright:

Oroko

Post by Oroko » Jan 24th, '13, 00:29

Did anyone find the last episode a little disappointing? Just asking because I had been waiting for the finale for a while and maybe my expectations were too high?

TempestRider

Post by TempestRider » Jan 24th, '13, 09:49

Oroko wrote:Did anyone find the last episode a little disappointing? Just asking because I had been waiting for the finale for a while and maybe my expectations were too high?
Oroko, i haven't watched the final episode yet, still waiting for the subs. I've enjoyed watching this drama so far. episode 9 was a bomb especially the ending ( well, at least for me :-) ). it's a cliffhanger and i hope I could watch the final episode soon 8) . i've read in a blog that the ending was okay with Toichiro ending up to be the homeless guy, what's disappointing to me is that until now, Kindaichi still doesn't know who his real father is. Well, I guess he'd find out soon enough. :P

ahireasu
Greece

Post by ahireasu » Jan 24th, '13, 10:47

Umm the subs are out since yesterday... for ep.10 ending was disappointing for me as well, i know where they heading with it and what they had in mind but it is to far fetched no matter what,yes it is a jdrama yes it talks about a super duper optimistic guy that goes with the flow but the ending was off.

ahireasu
Greece

Post by ahireasu » Jan 24th, '13, 11:10

delete that.
Last edited by ahireasu on Jan 25th, '13, 01:43, edited 2 times in total.

TempestRider

Post by TempestRider » Jan 24th, '13, 12:41

ahireasu wrote:Umm the subs are out since yesterday... for ep.10 ending was disappointing for me as well, i know where they heading with it and what they had in mind but it is to far fetched no matter what,yes it is a jdrama yes it talks about a super duper optimistic guy that goes with the flow but the ending was off.

hello ahireasu! :-) I'll reserve my judgment until after i've watched the final episode. I know i'm gonna be biased but this whole drama for me was adorable! i've had a few questions like all of us who have watched it, a few holes in the story here and there, but then, I just decided to turn off my inner critic and enjoy the drama, and as the story unfolds, with Kindachi, Moai, and Nikaido's funny moments, i have to admit, it has slowly captured my heart. Kindaichi's character was all things bright and positive and I love that. It somehow made me feel light and happy after watching each episode, it's inspiring, really. very different from the other dramas right now. I know, i haven\'t watched epi10 yet but this show is on my MUST RE-WATCH list :P

k361
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by k361 » Jan 24th, '13, 13:26

I don't like the the last two episodes.
The drama is not a slapstick comedy like Shomuni. Where every episode is fun and nothing change.
The unrealistic end/restart of the company, the feel good speech don't fit to the other episodes.

digitalcoconut

Post by digitalcoconut » Jan 25th, '13, 01:33

nah the last 2 episodes are very weak. poor ending, nothing worth mentioning..

no inspiring speech, not realistic, no happy nor sad ending, no nothing..

they started ok, have some good moments. but ending it poorly.. its very flat ending.. i'll give 4/10 overall..

DragonSpikeXIII

Post by DragonSpikeXIII » Jan 25th, '13, 02:08

I agree that the ending didn't quite grab like the rest of the drama, but I thought them focusing more on the villain was a good idea, pity everything was executed in such a lackluster fashion...

Still a nice drama overall, a better ending could have made this into a classic but instead it's just a "good" drama.

el_canuck

Post by el_canuck » Jan 25th, '13, 02:40

I am waiting for a special, they, still have things to do. I hope. I feel it kind of reminds me of the ending in Freeter and they had a special a year later. I hope.

Signed
Hopeful

SusieQ

Post by SusieQ » Jan 25th, '13, 04:12

I loved this drama...

But what happened to Moai's wife and daughter? I know his wife kicked him to the curb, but come on now.

And they never elaborated upon Nikaido's skill at being poor.

And you know, the ending... well.

It was fun, but oh so superficial.

Iris Zephyr

Post by Iris Zephyr » Jan 25th, '13, 07:43

With the end of the drama season, it's time for the awards. xDDDD And, "PRICELESS" managed to grab quite a few~

For the Nikkan Sports Grand Prix Drama Award (Fall Season 2012),

Best Drama - PRICELESS
Best Leading Actor - Kimura Takuya
Best Supporting Actor - Nakai Kiichi
Best Supporting Actress - Karina

("PRICELESS" actually swept all the major award categories, except for "Best Leading Actress" which was awarded to Yonehara Ryoko.)

For the TV Navi Drama of the Year Award (Fall Season 2012),

Best Drama/Drama of the Year - PRICELESS
Best Newcomer Award - Kanau Tanaka

("PRICELESS" once again nearly had a clean sweep of all the categories, losing out only for "Best Leading Actress" which was awarded to Kanno Miho.)

*Editing to add that for the TV Navi Drama of the Year Award, 1 million readers voted for the awards. xD

Congratz to the cast and crew~~~ :D

Credits: SMAPPY angels~ <3
Source: http://www.tvnaviweb.jp/TVnavi_contents ... index.html ; Nikkan Sports Grand Prix Award news sources

TempestRider

Post by TempestRider » Jan 25th, '13, 09:54

Iris Zephyr wrote:With the end of the drama season, it's time for the awards. xDDDD And, "PRICELESS" managed to grab quite a few~

For the Nikkan Sports Grand Prix Drama Award (Fall Season 2012),

Best Drama - PRICELESS

("PRICELESS" actually swept all the major award categories, except for "Best Leading Actress" which was awarded to Yonehara Ryoko.)

Thank you

For the TV Navi Drama of the Year Award (Fall Season 2012),

Best Drama/Drama of the Year - PRICELESS
Best Newcomer Award - Kanau Tanaka

("PRICELESS" once again nearly had a clean sweep of all the categories, losing out only for "Best Leading Actress" which was awarded to Kanno Miho.)

*Editing to add that for the TV Navi Drama of the Year Award, 1 million readers voted for the awards. xD

Congratz to the cast and crew~~~ :D

Credits: SMAPPY angels~ <3
Source: http://www.tvnaviweb.jp/TVnavi_contents ... index.html ; Nikkan Sports Grand Prix Award news sources
  • Thank you Iris Zephyr! all I can say is,,wow.. i'm happy,,just happy :-) :P

GaussAlgorithmus

Post by GaussAlgorithmus » Jan 27th, '13, 10:43

Priceless started strong and promising...but the last two episodes have been a bit disappointing.
The Good:
- I like the friendship between the three in the end
- Moai seems to be much more happy than in the beginning

The Bad:
- No words about Moias family. He doesn't even seem to care for them. I mean yes, the wife left him...but he doesn't even give a crap about his child? That's harsh
- I didn't like the fact, that Kindaichi simply gave up the company. He should have run it together with his brother
- Why did his brother end up in the park? Did he have to sell his house/car/everything else? Where is everything gone? Or was he just depressed and wandering areound?
Overall it's a 6/10 for me. It's "ok" but nothing more nor less. Personally, I enjoyed "Tokumai Tantei" MUCH more, even if I really like Kimura Takuya and like Nakai Kiichi even more.

Was the last scene a real "live" scene? Did they send it live from where they were filming? Does anyone know that?

drvoke

Post by drvoke » Feb 4th, '13, 09:17

GaussAlgorithmus wrote:
- Why did his brother end up in the park? Did he have to sell his house/car/everything else? Where is everything gone? Or was he just depressed and wandering areound?
This. Very much this. Because:
Isn't the reason that Kindaichi has to go live in the park in the first place that his now totally cool bro ordered his apartment to be blown up? I get that Kindaichi is a pretty easygoing guy, but come on. Unless that was supposedly some kind of terrible coincidence, and I am missing the joke, which is possible. Either way, what happened to Toichiro's apartment? I bet it's loaded with lots of stuff he could pawn.
I enjoyed every episode until the last episode, though I did enjoy the very end:
I think it's fine that Kindaichi and Moai and Nikaido are leaving the company and they are continuing on to new endeavors instead of staying at Miracle, though I'm not sure Toichiro was the best choice to leave it with. His one episode redemption was unconvincing and totally ham-fisted, even for a comedy drama.

Leaving it in the hands of the factory owners or something would have been good, while Toichiro goes and does his ONGOING penance by working at the soup kitchen, living at the poor house with Marioka and Ryota and Kanta, and truly learning the Way of The Kindaichi and working with all your might to bring people smiles or whatever.
But hey, they won all the awards and I'm writing a forum post.

Iris Zephyr

Post by Iris Zephyr » Feb 13th, '13, 04:21

@TempestRider You're welcome~ :D I am also super delighted at their achievement :wub:

@GaussAlgorithmus Yep, it was a real "live scene" :-) It was filmed and sent from Sapporo, right after SMAP's live concert in Sapporo Dome.

And, some more good news~ The "Television Drama Academy Awards" results have been announced, and Kimura-san dominated all voting categories to win "Best Leading Actor" :w00t:

In the readers/audience category:

1. Kimura Takuya
2. Sakai Masato
3. Ikuta Toma
4. Matsuyama Kenichi
5. Katori Shingo

In the TV critics category:

1. Kimura Takuya
2. Sakai Masato
3. Abe Hiroshi
4. Matsuyama Kenichi
5. Yamada Takayuki

In the jury category:

1. Kimura Takuya
2. Ikuta Toma
3. Matsuyama Kenichi
4. Sakai Masato
5. Matsushige Yutaka

I'm super curious about the other award categories now... xD

Source: http://ww1.sinaimg.cn/large/6a6340e9gw1e1qijyjrowj.jpg

*Edited to add that with this award, Kimura-san has managed to win "Best Lead Actor" for the Japan Television Drama Academy Awards 9 times. :D He holds the record for most wins (in second place is Kusanagi Tsuyoshi with 4 wins).

Credits: Thanks to some lovely SMAPPY angels~ :D

TempestRider

Post by TempestRider » Mar 15th, '13, 09:35

Iris Zephyr wrote:@TempestRider You're welcome~ :D I am also super delighted at their achievement :wub:

@GaussAlgorithmus Yep, it was a real "live scene" :-) It was filmed and sent from Sapporo, right after SMAP's live concert in Sapporo Dome.

And, some more good news~ The "Television Drama Academy Awards" results have been announced, and Kimura-san dominated all voting categories to win "Best Leading Actor" :w00t:

In the readers/audience category:

1. Kimura Takuya
2. Sakai Masato
3. Ikuta Toma
4. Matsuyama Kenichi
5. Katori Shingo

In the TV critics category:

1. Kimura Takuya
2. Sakai Masato
3. Abe Hiroshi
4. Matsuyama Kenichi
5. Yamada Takayuki

In the jury category:

1. Kimura Takuya
2. Ikuta Toma
3. Matsuyama Kenichi
4. Sakai Masato
5. Matsushige Yutaka

I'm super curious about the other award categories now... xD

Source: http://ww1.sinaimg.cn/large/6a6340e9gw1e1qijyjrowj.jpg

*Edited to add that with this award, Kimura-san has managed to win "Best Lead Actor" for the Japan Television Drama Academy Awards 9 times. :D He holds the record for most wins (in second place is Kusanagi Tsuyoshi with 4 wins).

Credits: Thanks to some lovely SMAPPY angels~ :D

@Iris Zephyr : I just wanna say i'm so happy to read your post,,haven't been here in a while and reading this just made my day, :D

Kimura-san, :D congratulations! You deserve to be on that spot! :P Looking forward to more of his dramas and also more years for SMAP (SxS), love them! :-)

heat6jones

Post by heat6jones » Mar 19th, '13, 09:40

I was disappointed with this show. Much of it is so unrealistic that it becomes conspicuous. Examples of this would be the 1507 employees all quitting,, the apartment being blown up and Nikaido losing her savings in the stock market.

Also the plot was very loose. Nothing was convincing or well designed. When Kinpaichi is dumped by his girlfriend, it's a strange and unmoving sequence. His entire relationship with Yoko is awkward and insignificant. Also there's little done to explain how Kinpaichi's father's relationship with his mother, or Mikaido's history of poverty.

And wouldn't Moai want to see his daughter? Not a glimpse of his family after he loses his job nor a reference.

This was a poorly directed drama. Hard to believe this is from the same person who brought us 'Hero' and 'Great Teacher Onizuka'.

yanaliao

Post by yanaliao » Apr 23rd, '13, 18:19

Quite disappointed with the flow of story, it doesn't stand out, kimura can do better doramas than this one. I hope he goes back to his engine days wherein I get goosebumps whenever he shows up on the screen. x)

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Apr 29th, '13, 19:46

Kimura san is a very professional and good actor, but even he can only do his best with some of the poor dramas he has been asked to do. I don't quite understand why his managers are not finding better quality writers. and also better female actresses to try and match his work. It almost seems that JE is content to use him to publicise SMAP as a group and push the other members into other activities. Kimura is being wasted in my opinion.