Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Jul 27th, '12, 16:01

Upcoming period dramas:

Arang and the Magistrate
Faith
Horse Healer 마의 馬醫
The Great King's Dream (taeha, about Kim Chunchu)
The Great Seer

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Dec 19th, '12, 17:37

Upcoming sageuk/taeha:

Lee Soon Shin's Unauthorized Biography (이순신 외전)
Iron King

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Dec 21st, '12, 22:32

Ethlenn,

what is Iron King all about. Early times and historical? I will check the wiki to see if it is there.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Jan 6th, '13, 11:36

From what I know that was Kim Suro's "nickname" given, but this one I found to be "A human financial drama about the life story of the late Posco Chairman Park Tae-joon." So I'll take it down from the list.

pekkauwer

Re: Sageuk and Taeha dramas

Post by pekkauwer » Jan 6th, '13, 16:16

Ethlenn wrote:I would like to propose a topic for both genres: sageuk and taeha.
There is a thread on Chuno here, so if anyone is interested in this particular drama, go ahead.
I know there are lot of people who love Korean period dramas (the writer included), so I think we all need a topic to discuss this kind of drama. Not cut into pieces, but the big universe of period dramas in one place.

First, what's the difference? Both sageuk and taeha are period dramas, but... Taeha is a typical period drama, it depicts the life of some notable and famous person (King, Queen, hero), usually is long and well elaborated. The language is stylized and full of archaised vocabulary. Sageuk, on the other hand, is shorter, and usually the historical period is the background for some story.
And we have a fusion sageuk: the genre that incorporates modern language and music into drama.
This is not a strict division though. Bear in minds that taeha are always long. Always. And they can have the elements of fantasy as well.

* 500 Years of Joseon Dynasty
* 8 Days of Jeongjo's Assassination
* Age of Warriors
* Angshimjeong
* Arang and the Magistrate
* Capital Scandal
* Chosun Police (3 seasons)
* Chronicles of the Three Kingdoms
* Chuno
* Conspiracy In The Court
* Dae Jang Geum (Jewel in the Palace)
* Daemang (The Great Expectations)
* Damo
* Dawn of the Empire
* Deep Rooted Tree
* Dong Yi
* Dream of the King/Emperor airing
* Emperor Wang Gun
* Empress Cheonchu (aka "Iron Empress")
* Empress Myung Sung
* Eyes of Dawn
* Faith
* Gaksital
* Great Merchant Kim Mandeok
* Gumiho: Revenge of the Fox Child
* Gyebaek
* Han Myung Hoe
* Hong Gil Dong
* Hong Guk Young
* Hur Jun
* Hwang Jini
* Iljimae
* Im Kkeok Jung
* Immortal Admiral Yi Sun-shin
* Inspector Park Moon Soo (1999)
* Inspector Park Moon Soo (2002)
* Ja Myung Go
* Jang Hee Bin
* Jejoongwon
* Jeon Woochi airing
* Jo Gwang Jo
* Joseon X Files
* Jumong
* Jung Yak Yong
* Kim Soo Ro
* King and Queen
* King Geunchogo
* King Gwanggaeto The Great
* King Sejong the Great
* King's Woman
* Ladies of the Palace
* Man Kang
* Map of Korea – Life of Kimujonho (1995)
* Medical Gibang Cinema
* Mok Min Shim Suh (2000)
* Mushin (Soldier/God of War)
* Namhan Mountian Castle
* Pa Mun
* Princess Hwapyung's Weight Loss (1-ep special)
* Queen In Hyun's Man
* Queen Insu
* Queen Seon Duk (aka "Queen Seon Deok")
* Return of Iljimae
* Roll of Thunder
* Rustic Era
* Sangdo
* Sa Yug Shin
* Sea God (Emperor of the Sea)
* Seo Dong Yo
* Seongkyunkwan Scandal
* Shin Don
* Six Martyred Ministers
* Strong Colors of Kang Cheol (4-ep KBS Drama Special)
* Taejo Wang Geon
* Tamna The Island
* Tears of the Dragon
* The Duo
* The Great Seer airing
* The Hoechun Gate
* The Horse Doctor airing
* The Imjin War
* The King and I
* The Kingdom of the Winds
* The Legend (aka: "The Story of the Great King and the Four Gods", or "The Story of the First King's Four Gods")
* The Moon Embracing Sun
* The Painter of the Wind
* The Princess' Man
* The Servant (Bangja jeon)
* The Strongest Chil Woo
* Time Slip Dr. Jin
* Toji (The Land)
* Tree With Deep Roots
* True Colors of Kang Cheol (4-eps DSS)
* Warrior Baek Dong Soo
* West Palace
* Yi San
* Yaksha

If I forgot about some dramas, let me know.
Chilwu the mighty
Rooftop prince(not sure)

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Jan 6th, '13, 16:31

* The Strongest Chil Woo is on the list.

Not sure if Rooftop Prince can be considered as sageuk because we had like 30 minutes in total of it.

pekkauwer

Post by pekkauwer » Jan 6th, '13, 16:34

Ethlenn wrote:* The Strongest Chil Woo is on the list.

Not sure if Rooftop Prince can be considered as sageuk because we had like 30 minutes in total of it.
Ah apologize
I got too much use with title chilwu the mighty

MoerkJ
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MoerkJ » Jan 6th, '13, 19:09

I have created a list of historical kdramas at DramaWiki. Maybe you'll find it useful.

http://wiki.d-addicts.com/User:MoerkJ/H ... al_KDramas

The page is only a first version. I'm still working on it. Some more info needs to be added and I'll do some cleanup.

Let me know if somethings wrong or missing. (PM preferred)

kathia_sophia

Post by kathia_sophia » Jan 23rd, '13, 23:55

despite bein' more of a japanese dramas fan girl, i really enjoy korean produtions, especially historical ones.

for sageuk, i watched:
- Chuno (my first sageuk^^);
- Iljimae
- The Moon That Embraces The Sun
- The Princess' Man

for taeha, i watched:
- Jumong
- Ballad of Seo Dong
- Dong Yi
- Queen Seon Deok (my first taeha^^)

i enjoyed Chuno, it was my first, it really was a bit "strange" because i was not used to the korean historical setting. Iljimae was great as well, but it was boring when the main character was fooling around before he got into action. The Moon... is my favourite sageuk, i was really drown into it, loved every episode, its a very memorable drama, and finally The Princess' Man, it was good as well, a bit sad from the begining to the end, but the romantic scenes melted my heart.

for the taeha, i was a bit reluctant to watch or not, its long and i thought that because of it, the prodution was going to be plain, but thankfully i was wrong. Queen Seon Deok was my first choice into taeha adventure and i LOVED it, it remains my favourite taeha even now, one highlight thing about this drama is the final minutes of each episode, i never watched such tension, surprise, suspense and the OMG reaction from watching the ending of each episode, none drama that i saw has this including current era dramas. Ballad of SD is good, but its "old-school", sometimes got a bit boring. Jumong and Dong Yi are for me equally great, i loved them both, i aplaude Jumong's screenwrites and scriptwrites and i was perplexed on Dong Yi's beautiful wardrobe, it was so pretty and lively (for Dong Yi, i was a bit disappointed that the King liked another women as well as Dong Yi, but with time it was clear that with Dong Yi he felt real love and thus this was shown even until the end, because of Dong Yi everything was new and interesting to him, with the antagonist concubine, it was affection, care and he liked her, but it was never deep true love like he felt with Dong Yi, it was really well written IMO, i was really happy with the evolution of the story!)

im currently watching The Horse Doctor and the famous Dae Jang Geum, which i was curious about (its pretty good, but since its "old-school", i need to watch it 'blindy', or ill be complaining all the time about how the filming sucked for some scenes, some bad WTF moments, unexplain details, etc..., since ive tamed my mind, i can watch it peacefully now)

Yi San and The Painter of the Wind are pending, i stopped Yi San at episode 23 and TPOTW at the very first ep. its not that i didnt like it, but i put them on hold, so i can watch the 2 above without confusion, because i usually watch one drama at a time, but since The Horse Doctor isnt over yet, i watch it along with DJG. if i watch many at the same time, my head goes messy!

pekkauwer

Post by pekkauwer » Jan 24th, '13, 00:41

kathia_sophia wrote:despite bein' more of a japanese dramas fan girl, i really enjoy korean produtions, especially historical ones.

for sageuk, i watched:
- Chuno (my first sageuk^^);
- Iljimae
- The Moon That Embraces The Sun
- The Princess' Man

for taeha, i watched:
- Jumong
- Ballad of Seo Dong
- Dong Yi
- Queen Seon Deok (my first taeha^^)

i enjoyed Chuno, it was my first, it really was a bit "strange" because i was not used to the korean historical setting. Iljimae was great as well, but it was boring when the main character was fooling around before he got into action. The Moon... is my favourite sageuk, i was really drown into it, loved every episode, its a very memorable drama, and finally The Princess' Man, it was good as well, a bit sad from the begining to the end, but the romantic scenes melted my heart.

for the taeha, i was a bit reluctant to watch or not, its long and i thought that because of it, the prodution was going to be plain, but thankfully i was wrong. Queen Seon Deok was my first choice into taeha adventure and i LOVED it, it remains my favourite taeha even now, one highlight thing about this drama is the final minutes of each episode, i never watched such tension, surprise, suspense and the OMG reaction from watching the ending of each episode, none drama that i saw has this including current era dramas. Ballad of SD is good, but its "old-school", sometimes got a bit boring. Jumong and Dong Yi are for me equally great, i loved them both, i aplaude Jumong's screenwrites and scriptwrites and i was perplexed on Dong Yi's beautiful wardrobe, it was so pretty and lively (for Dong Yi, i was a bit disappointed that the King liked another women as well as Dong Yi, but with time it was clear that with Dong Yi he felt real love and thus this was shown even until the end, because of Dong Yi everything was new and interesting to him, with the antagonist concubine, it was affection, care and he liked her, but it was never deep true love like he felt with Dong Yi, it was really well written IMO, i was really happy with the evolution of the story!)

im currently watching The Horse Doctor and the famous Dae Jang Geum, which i was curious about (its pretty good, but since its "old-school", i need to watch it 'blindy', or ill be complaining all the time about how the filming sucked for some scenes, some bad WTF moments, unexplain details, etc..., since ive tamed my mind, i can watch it peacefully now)

Yi San and The Painter of the Wind are pending, i stopped Yi San at episode 23 and TPOTW at the very first ep. its not that i didnt like it, but i put them on hold, so i can watch the 2 above without confusion, because i usually watch one drama at a time, but since The Horse Doctor isnt over yet, i watch it along with DJG. if i watch many at the same time, my head goes messy!
Since you love queen seon deok, you should try daemang. Just saying^^ :salut:

kathia_sophia

Post by kathia_sophia » Jan 24th, '13, 18:33

is Daemang the one of the female police? or is it another name?

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Jan 24th, '13, 18:47

No, you write about "damo". Daemang means great ambitions and is a drama with Jang Hyuk. recommended^^~~

pekkauwer

Post by pekkauwer » Jan 26th, '13, 23:58

Not to act wise, but shouldnt you included the gu family book drama? Its fusion sageuk involving lee sungi and suzy bae ofc

I just saying since the drama will air on april

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Jan 27th, '13, 00:08

That's why I didn't include it yet. Plus I haven't mentioned dramas that start airing in 3 months. But thanks.

kathia_sophia

Post by kathia_sophia » Feb 5th, '13, 23:01

i wanna ask if anyone know where i can get Jumong OST? cant find anywhere;_;

freekoreanhistoricaldrama

The Best Free Korean Historical Dramas

Post by freekoreanhistoricaldrama » Apr 4th, '13, 21:23

After many criteria, the koreans have the best of the world historical dramas. Subjects are about unification,stopping external aggression and others. See:

Desc:http://freekoreanhistoricaldramas.blogspot.com
Fond:http://koreanhistoricaldramas.hostingsiteforfree.com

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Apr 8th, '13, 17:04

If I remove some topics it means they need to be removed. Don't make me do it again.

kathia_sophia

Post by kathia_sophia » Apr 10th, '13, 14:47

New Historical dramas:

Mandate of Heaven
Gu Family Book
Jang Ok Jung

Mandate of Heaven: (START: 2013-Apr-24)
The Joseon version of a chaser about a medical practitioner who struggles to save his daughter from a terminal illness while being caught up in a plot to poison the human race.

Gu Family Book (STARTED: 2013-Apr-08 )
A melodrama epic about Choi Kang Chi, born as a half-human-half-mythical-creature, who goes through in order to become human and his journey of struggling in order to live more like a human than anyone else despite not being able to become human.

Jang Ok Jung: (STARTED: 2013-Apr-08 )
This drama tells the story of Jang Ok Jung, known as Lady Jang Hee Bin, one of Korea’s best known royal concubines of the Joseon Dynasty and famous for her hunger for power and ruthless plotting. However, this drama will tell a completely new interpretation.

I will not watch Jang Ok Jung because of Dong Yi, it would contradict my view on the infamous concubine and clash with my feelings that it left on her after watching Dong Yi.
Gu Family Book seems to be a very intereting drama, but I'll pass it, I don't like Gumiho-like dramas. On the other hand, Mandate of Heaven seems to be a very exciting drama, I will check it out if I have oportunity when it airs!

chikha

Post by chikha » May 3rd, '13, 06:04

Daemang or Painter of the wind or Horse Doctor? Which one is better to watch first

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » May 3rd, '13, 07:14

I'd suggest Daemang. :mrgreen:

chikha

Post by chikha » May 3rd, '13, 09:54

Ethlenn wrote:I'd suggest Daemang. :mrgreen:
Ok nice I am going to search torrent for Daemang and watch it first. I already search it on google and I am interested to see young jang hyuk

Peggy

Post by Peggy » May 25th, '13, 17:52

Have to say that Horse Doctor is just a patchwork quilt for me. I am not honing in on it with any regularity.

Feels as tho there are several writers putting out ther own script without reading the previous week's work.

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Jun 30th, '13, 19:41

Something is really nagging at my memory these days. It has to do with the drama 'ManKang'
I have never seen the one mentioned earlier in this thread. However the synopsis of this one reminded me of a drama I have seen a few years ago. Maybe two years??
Anyway it had the same story of two babies being switched... one being the son of a slave. This is an old plot, often used, but it does sound so close. Does anyone have any memory of a more recent drama similar to ManKang please???

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Jun 30th, '13, 20:36

It's probably "The Duo", dear :scratch:

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Jun 30th, '13, 23:28

Dear Ethlenn,
You are probably right. You have endless knowledge in that brain of yours.

The wonderfl thing is that you have a memory to match.

My memory is now hit and miss and lots of searching on various threads and googling stuff. Appreciate your fast reply. I can now sleep tonight Love ya :-)

pekkauwer

Post by pekkauwer » Jul 20th, '13, 02:29

Ok heres my comment to latest sageuk and taeha drama

Jung yi the goddess of fire:so far my expression is like in the moon embraces the sun.... good at starts and when they grow up it becomes like "erm, why does this appear?" And the storyline might be developed well in next episodes

Blade and petal :
1st episode i watch, and said to my father, "do you understand this drama?" And he replied, no..... so i skip it.....

Jeoninhwa

Post by Jeoninhwa » Jun 17th, '14, 01:19

Are there places where I can download Korean historical dramas that are not readily available (say, from the 1980s and the 90s)? The OP apparently had a site but that's now closed.

seanmaclair
Fansubber
Fansubber

Re: Sageuk and Taeha dramas

Post by seanmaclair » Feb 12th, '22, 06:19

Sorry to necro this thread after 8 years but I don't see any other threads for sageuk here :/

TL/DR: Mankang VHS trade for Season 7 of 500 Years of Joseon?

I liked Keiko's analogy to Taiga and Jidageki because Daehas (from KBS1 at least, SBS just slaps on the name Daeha when shows get long) were at first imported in format from NHK Taigas! Of course, it's very much its own dying subgenre right now...
Jidaigeki doesn't match 1:1 with Korean period dramas/shidaegeuk bc Korean period dramas are closer to fusion/faction than anything else - I feel like they could be matched to Special Planning sageuk that follow the Daeha format but never got labeled Daehas (like Jang Hee Bin '02, Empress Myeongseong, even some of the fusion/faction shows). With KDramas it's more a matter of explicit name designations than matching any particular format (Strictly speaking MBC hasn't had a Daeha drama since 500 Years of Joseon, but Shin Don and God of War should very much be Daeha dramas bc one was literally a candidate to be a KBS1 Daeha and both are written by a famous Daeha author).

On the topic of Mankang: Does anyone still have those VHS rips? I'd be really interested to see them, SBS likes to pretend like most of their 90s dramas don't exist :( It's also 63 episodes with Im Ho leading and his dad writing, just like Jang Hee Bin '95!
If there's a rare drama I'm really interested in that I've seen no footage for, it's SBS' first historical Yushimcho [https://mydramalist.com/719357-yushimcho] because it started out as a daily then switched to weekly later on. I'm also curious about 500 Years, I've only seen bits and pieces around (Season 9 is available officially on Wavve, and I have all of Season 7 just sitting on a hard drive).