[Discussion] Going My Home (Abe Hiroshi, Yamaguchi Tomoko)

Discuss Japanese drama series here.
Sorvaseven

[Discussion] Going My Home (Abe Hiroshi, Yamaguchi Tomoko)

Post by Sorvaseven » Oct 1st, '12, 09:18

Going My Home

Abe Hiroshi, Yamaguchi Tomoko

Details

Title: ゴーイング マイ ホーム
Title (romaji): Going My Home
Format: Renzoku
Genre: Family
Episodes: TBA
Viewership rating: TBA
Broadcast network: Fuji TV / KTV
Broadcast period: 2012-Oct-09 start
Air time: Tuesday 22:00
Theme song: Yotsuba no Clover by Makihara Noriyuki

Synopsis

The main character, Tsuboi Ryota, is a salaryman often criticized for being physically big, but with a “small” heart, and he is stuck in a dilemma of not really being able to fit in both at work and at home. But one day, his estranged father falls ill and with that, his “happy enough” life begins to change. A mysterious beauty, a man who claims to know his father’s past appears, and his father begins to act in strange ways... It turns out, his father had been looking for the legendary “small creature” in his hometown! Though he doesn’t believe that it actually exists, he begins to meet with many people to uncover his father’s mystery, and slowly his feelings begin to change. Maybe, no there’s no such thing...but just maybe...it really does exist? “The world isn’t just made up of things that you can see” Within the drama, using well-known creatures such as a koro-pok-guru, dwarf, and hobbit as a hint, an original story made just for the drama about a creature called ‘cuna’ will be unveiled. Through the existence of this “cuna”, we hope that people will be able to appreciate how “the power to believe in things we can’t see” such as, the importance of living in and sharing the nature, dreams, love, the bond we share with people, are connected to a happier tomorrow. Ryota begins to look for the unthinkable thing “that he can’t see.” The big man with a small heart starts on his big journey to find the small creature, and eventually Ryota and his family, all the people he meets, becomes embroiled in this big mess. Will he be able to catch this “cuna”? At the end of everything, what will he discover...? --Fuji TV

http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Going_My_Home

It's the first time Yamaguchi Tomoko will be again acting for a dorama! It's her comeback after 16 years since Long Vacation! Together with Abe it could be a great drama :D Hope someone upload the episodes and someone else sub it :-)

k361
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by k361 » Oct 1st, '12, 10:20

Thank you for the info. Great cast and a nice plot. Looking forward for this

I like YOU, her voice make me smile every time :)

RetroHelix
Germany

Post by RetroHelix » Oct 1st, '12, 16:09

Was about time someone posts about this :D
Yamaguchi Tomoko and Abe Hiroshi in one drama, this must be good! The other actors are great as well of course.

Info about the press conference: http://www.tokyohive.com/2012/09/upcomi ... onference/

Sorvaseven

Post by Sorvaseven » Oct 1st, '12, 19:08

RetroHelix wrote:Was about time someone posts about this :D
You are damn right :D

Gir

Re: [Discussion] Going My Home (Abe Hiroshi, Yamaguchi Tomok

Post by Gir » Oct 1st, '12, 21:29

Sorvaseven wrote: It's the first time Yamaguchi Tomoko will be again acting for a dorama! It's her comeback after 16 years since Long Vacation! Together with Abe it could be a great drama :D Hope someone upload the episodes and someone else sub it :-)
My feelings exactly. I just loved Yamaguchi in the few dramas I saw with her, and always wished for more dramas with her in them, and Abe is probably my favorite drama actor. It would be great to get a chance to see this one.
k361 wrote: I like YOU, her voice make me smile every time :)
Why thank you, I like You too. :P

Actually, I really did like her voice in Manhattan Love story.

aiscess83

Post by aiscess83 » Oct 5th, '12, 02:36

It's the first time Yamaguchi Tomoko will be again acting for a dorama! It's her comeback after 16 years since Long Vacation! Together with Abe it could be a great drama Big Smile Hope someone upload the episodes and someone else sub it Smile
Heiwa Fansubs will be subbing this series. Yay! :cheers:
Hmmmm... She was not in it. Are you talking about Koizumi Kyoko :unsure:

xfire

Post by xfire » Oct 5th, '12, 18:46

aiscess83 wrote:
http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Manhattan_Love_Story

She is in the guests.

k361
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by k361 » Oct 5th, '12, 22:49

xfire wrote:
aiscess83 wrote:
She is in the guests.
YOU also was guest in one episode of Kisazura Cats Eyes. She always playing weird character.

Director/scriptwriter Koreeda Hirokazu made the distressed movie 'Nobody knows' with YOU

DragonSpikeXIII

Post by DragonSpikeXIII » Oct 5th, '12, 23:02

Yamaguchi Tomoko in a new dorama?!

To say this is FANTASTIC NEWS would be an understatement, I love her so much! CANT WAIT

aiscess83

Post by aiscess83 » Oct 6th, '12, 05:33

k361 wrote:
xfire wrote:
aiscess83 wrote:Hmmmm... She was not in it. Are you talking about Koizumi Kyoko :unsure:
She is in the guests.
YOU also was guest in one episode of Kisazura Cats Eyes. She always playing weird character.

Director/scriptwriter Koreeda Hirokazu made the distressed movie 'Nobody knows' with YOU
Oh, so you guys were talking about YOU. Gomen ne, silly me.

rootabega

Post by rootabega » Oct 8th, '12, 02:15

I'm going to be watching this dorama for sure!
I'm a big fan of Kore-eda sensei, and the cast looks marvelous.
Oh, I really like YOU, too. :P

totally_0bsessed

Post by totally_0bsessed » Oct 8th, '12, 06:25

I'm so excited for this!!!

RetroHelix
Germany

Post by RetroHelix » Oct 8th, '12, 07:25

Going My Home CM released: http://jdramas.wordpress.com/2012/10/07 ... y-home-cm/
They should have shown more Yamaguchi Tomoko footage :D

doramaworld

Post by doramaworld » Oct 8th, '12, 10:47

It seems to be that although the initial publicity about this drama was about Yamaguchi Tomoko's comeback, the true lead is Abe Hiroshi. That could be why footage of Yamaguchi is limited in the trailer.

akMetallic

Post by akMetallic » Oct 8th, '12, 11:05

hmmm.... judging from the synopsis given, they could use a native English speaker at Fuji TV. :-)

nevertheless... this drama should be a great one... can't see it going wrong with such a cast.

MaiKitty

Post by MaiKitty » Oct 9th, '12, 18:06

I couldn't even care less who is acting in this drama, when I read that it is the first drama directed by Koreeda I was completely sold on it. I mean, Nobody knows is one of my favourite movies! And all his other movies are awesome as well. I'm so curious how his style will work in a tv show. I just can't wait to watch it - I would watch it even if only first time actors would be in it.

rootabega

Post by rootabega » Oct 10th, '12, 02:22

Agreed, MaiKitty. Kore-eda sensei is the #1 draw for me, as well.
He has directed documentary series for television in the past, but this is indeed his first drama. It's kinda like a god descending to dwell with us mortals for a bit. At least it is for film snobs, like me.
:lol

DragonSpikeXIII

Post by DragonSpikeXIII » Oct 14th, '12, 00:27

Holy moly, 1h41m 1st episode, longer runtime, more yamaguchi :D

7-go

Post by 7-go » Oct 14th, '12, 09:03

Reminds me so much of Still Walking <-- almost the same atmosphere.. even with Abe and You as family, even with double Abe (LOL) I'm sold!

other the cast are highly welcomed too. Yamaguchi Tomoko .. Okaeri..! :wub:

MaiKitty

Post by MaiKitty » Oct 14th, '12, 11:47

All that food made me really hungry! The first episode (you can call it a movie...1:40hrs) didn't disappoint. I love the atmosphere Koreeda creates - it is calm and so real and never boring.I'm curious about the Kuna. Maybe they will meet them in the forest next time.

DarkWarrior

Post by DarkWarrior » Oct 15th, '12, 03:09

Ahh.. so this is a Koreeda drama. I was wondering why the drama had a similar feel to Still Walking while watching it. Not that it's a bad thing.

Solid first episode, was surprised by how long it was though. But no episode next week, so I guess we got two weeks worth at once. Definitely on my watch list and highly recommended to those seeking a similar 'feel' to Koreeda's movies.

RetroHelix
Germany

Post by RetroHelix » Nov 1st, '12, 21:54

Just watched the third episode. Till now the series feels like a very long (and very good) movie.
There are many scenes that make this drama charming (I hope that's the right word). Abe Hiroshi arguing with Makita Aju or him as a witch in shorts and the soccer plays are just some examples. But I don't get the feeling that something is just made up to entertain or satisfy the viewer. The cast fit their roles perfect too. Just my impression.

PS: I wonder a bit about the upbringing of the daughter, looks like no one ever really tells her off.

t12345

Post by t12345 » Nov 7th, '12, 00:25

I don't know Koreeda sensei before but I really like the style of this series, it gives a warm feeling to the viewing. As of ep3, i still can't see where the series is trying to lead to.

SusieQ

Post by SusieQ » Nov 8th, '12, 06:52

t12345 wrote:I don't know Koreeda sensei before but I really like the style of this series, it gives a warm feeling to the viewing. As of ep3, i still can't see where the series is trying to lead to.
More or less the bonds of family, and how it's hard to see when they're breaking and where. And then how to mend them, if they're meant to be mended at all.

It would be interesting if the Kuna actually did exist though. I suspect their search for them is what will either mend or break the family.

I can't help thinking that Ryota and Naho are related somehow.

Gankooyaji

Post by Gankooyaji » Nov 9th, '12, 20:37

Just watched episode 4, and am still enjoying what is a very fascinating story (to me at least). Lots of depth, yet funny moments. I cracked up tonight watching Abe Sadao do an imitation of Sato Jiro as Hotoke in Yuusha Yoshihiko to Akuryo no Kagi! I'm watching all my favorite doramas at once. :lol

MaiKitty

Post by MaiKitty » Nov 11th, '12, 22:45

Those Kuna fellows are interesting. I like myths like this. Isn't it fascinating to meet little people in the forest in your childhood? Koreeda has a way with creating childhood moments on screen that correspond to my own childhood memories....(not that I ever met little people)

The kuna remind me of the little people in Haruki Murakamis 1Q84. But these were much more sinister. Koreeda style is always so calm, even when brutal stuff happens. That man has an eye for human nature, relationships and the ability to put it on screen. The kuna forest, for example, it is beautiful!

t12345

Post by t12345 » Nov 12th, '12, 00:28

I like the phrase,
世界は目に見えるものだけで出来てるんじゃない。

Romance

Post by Romance » Nov 14th, '12, 06:05

The ratings just gets worse and worse for every episode (last ep 6.5%), and the Japanese viewers dont seem to be very satisfied if you read on for example 2chan. They complain on the manuscript and story, and that the cast is a waste. But is it really that bad? What do you guys say? Not worth checking out?

RetroHelix
Germany

Post by RetroHelix » Nov 14th, '12, 07:10

I really like the drama and the cast fits perfectly.
I think the most viewers want something more fast paced. Or they awaited something more romance or comedy like to watch and are now disappointed.

What do they complain about on 2chan?

MaiKitty

Post by MaiKitty » Nov 14th, '12, 09:01

Romance wrote:The ratings just gets worse and worse for every episode (last ep 6.5%), and the Japanese viewers dont seem to be very satisfied if you read on for example 2chan. They complain on the manuscript and story, and that the cast is a waste. But is it really that bad? What do you guys say? Not worth checking out?
Ratings don't mean a thing, imho. The manuscript and the story are bad? I don't think so. It's typical Koreeda style. Of course, it's not keeping you on the edge of your seat, needing to know how it will continue. But that's not how he is.

I also don't think the actors are wasted. Especially in these real, yet subtle situations, a really talented actor can shine. Overacting is much more easy than this here. I think it is simple, you have to let it in. Let it calm you and just enjoy it for what it is. Of course, they will always be people who call it boring. It might even be that if I watched this in Japan on TV I would forget about it, or I wouldn't be in the mood to watch when it airs. When it is uploaded here on D-A I actively seek it out and watch it when I want to. Maybe that's the way. You have to be in the mood. ;)

Gankooyaji

Post by Gankooyaji » Nov 14th, '12, 09:50

I would like to add my two cents, in agreement with MaiKitty. It's also a question of aesthetics -- are you attracted to Japanese shows that are more slice of life, bitterweet, wabi-sabi? Then Going My Home is a real gem. Or do you prefer the more manga style (hospitals, high schools, cops)? Then clearly, this is going to be rather boring. I'm not saying one style is better than the other (I enjoy both, plus food shows :D ), but obviously fast-paced, suspense, emotion-driven shows are going to more popular, in any country.

Personally, I'm enjoying this very much (despite my skepticism about seeing things unseen - sorry t12345), and I find the actors are doing a fine job expressing some very adult emotions and situations. And if you're studying Japanese or interested in real Japanese lifestyles, this is a great resource. So to answer Romance's question, I think it's worth checking out to see a different aesthetic and pace. But since it is rather slow, I'd say watch the first two or three episodes and then decide.

t12345

Post by t12345 » Nov 14th, '12, 09:55

For me, I really enjoy this drama, It is the drama that make u relax while watching it. That is rare for jp drama nowaday.

DarkWarrior

Post by DarkWarrior » Nov 14th, '12, 14:36

I'm not too surprised that this drama is tanking, since it really deviates from the typical jdrama "mold". Don't get me wrong, this drama is great in its own way, but this style of storytelling won't exactly get viewers excited for the next episode, which is kind of necessary to maintain ratings.

t12345

Post by t12345 » Nov 15th, '12, 00:07

I hope it will not be 打ち切り due to low rating.

SusieQ

Post by SusieQ » Nov 15th, '12, 04:41

I'm sad it's getting low ratings. It's an excellent series that's been lovingly made. Everything about is just the kind of thing I love to watch.

Thank you Maikitty and Gankooyaji. :wub: You guys are the first people I've encountered that feel the same way as I do about this show, and you're much better at conveying why than I am..

lontong.stroong

Post by lontong.stroong » Nov 15th, '12, 07:25

DarkWarrior wrote:I'm not too surprised that this drama is tanking, since it really deviates from the typical jdrama "mold". Don't get me wrong, this drama is great in its own way, but this style of storytelling won't exactly get viewers excited for the next episode, which is kind of necessary to maintain ratings.
agree
this drama is like no other and good at its own way. For those who gets used to the regular drama will find it boring. Yet, this kind of drama is really fresh and outside the box. Afterall, I still hope it will escalate into more and more major revealing at the last episodes, hope the producers won't cut the number of episodes though
Last edited by lontong.stroong on Nov 24th, '12, 10:55, edited 1 time in total.

t12345

Post by t12345 » Nov 24th, '12, 01:17

Oh, the rating of Ep6 has come down below 6%

scattie

Post by scattie » Nov 24th, '12, 16:13

I watch anything with Abe Hiroshi! Esp when he's teaming up with one of my favourite actress, there's no way I'm gonna miss this.

The first episode is fun and interesting and their bickering is such a joy to watch. It's highly eccentric with bunch of great actors/actress ugh I'm loving it so far!

antspace

Post by antspace » Nov 24th, '12, 23:57

The lack of cliche's will kill the ratings :-(

Gankooyaji

Post by Gankooyaji » Nov 25th, '12, 18:04

Well, I admit that I'm an Abe Hiroshi fanboy and I am totally in love with Yamaguchi Tomoko :wub: , so my opinion is far from unbiased. But I agree with scattie and antspace. These are really good actors in a story that requires some thinking and reflection. Combine that with the Labor Thanksgiving holiday and competition from variety shows, and well..... (just to be clear, I'm not putting down popular shows, since I watch those with pleasure too. Well, sometimes :roll at the clichés...)
Anyway, I noticed that the preview shows an attempt at building suspense, so that may be a reponse (or else a prelude to a quick closing :-( .)

lontong.stroong

Post by lontong.stroong » Nov 26th, '12, 01:52

antspace wrote:The lack of cliche's will kill the ratings :-(
they should've hand this drama to NHK though and film it in 7-8-episodes format.
the lack of development finally takes its toll. This, of course, works on movie format, but when it comes to drama, it's a money loser. Nevertheless, it's still enjoyable though

avieamber
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by avieamber » Nov 26th, '12, 02:08

I like most of abe hiroshi's work too but this one really challenges my patience. I'm just up to ep3, so maybe I shouldn't judge it earlier. Still I don't think I'm gonna follow it till the end. Thinking of dropping already.

t12345

Post by t12345 » Nov 26th, '12, 03:16

I think this drama is like a slow food, for those who get used to fast food it seems to be boring and uninteresting. But you should try to appreciate the details, the feeling, the communication between casts, that the director and actors tried to show you, you definitly would love this drama.

verbish

Post by verbish » Nov 26th, '12, 03:25

I just wanted to add that I am also enjoying this drama. I might not appreciate the pacing as much though if I were to watch it with commercial interruptions since that would really disrupt the mood. The way the director films it is very beautiful, the acting is great (I especially love Moe-chan :) It is a welcome break from the typical dramas shown these days.

scattie

Post by scattie » Nov 28th, '12, 13:39

Out of the dramas this season, I think this one is soooo refreshing. The slow pace doesn't bother me and I think it's just a minor thing because the overall acting/script is just great in itself *_*

I also enjoyed how this drama could throw in random blips of comedy in midst of seriousness. Abe Hiroshi is brilliant in delivering this type of stuff :D I also love the way they poke fun at his big size (running gags in Trick :D)

..like knocking off things on his way out

these two making fun of him, so cute :D

When he picked up the cake I was like..hey that's not Mont Blanc..sure enough..YOU changed it lol

I just love Abe Hiroshi :mrgreen:

That's just some of my fave scenes, what's yours?

Gankooyaji

Post by Gankooyaji » Nov 28th, '12, 13:55

Ah, and did you notice in the middle scene how Moe keeps her chopsticks in her hand? So totally in character of the little rebel girl who doesn't follow conventions. As you said, there are so many scenes that are little stories in their own right. I find the craftsmanship just amazing....

RetroHelix
Germany

Post by RetroHelix » Nov 28th, '12, 15:03

I loved the following scenes. It was just a joy to watch.

A witch and a witcher :D
Big daddy:
And the scene with the insect repellent spray:

t12345

Post by t12345 » Nov 29th, '12, 00:58

I like this scene,

Don't have to kill, and no worry to be killed.
Attachments
Going1.jpg
Going1.jpg (53.93 KiB) Viewed 5518 times

scattie

Post by scattie » Nov 29th, '12, 14:26

I'm going to watch ep 4 now but I need to share some screencaps! 8D By the way, thanks for sharing your fave scenes :cheers:

t12345: Looking forward to that scene :D
there are so many scenes that are little stories in their own right. I find the craftsmanship just amazing....
This is the beauty of the drama so to say right.. ^^

RetroHelix: Haha I love that repellent scene too

I'm just glad that Moe didn't feel too embarrassed to walk besides him, in that silly Halloween get-up :D
Ep 3- Father and daughter moments
Calm Moe and flustered Ryota :D Btw, is that panda bun? Do want!

Cute right?

scattie

Post by scattie » Nov 29th, '12, 14:39

I think being an only child with laid-back parents, nurture her imagination and creativity? I don't know but I like this scene..

p/s: I seriously thought Ryota got the nick name Ma-kun from Mayonnaise haha =.=

RetroHelix
Germany

Post by RetroHelix » Nov 29th, '12, 17:56

scattie wrote: p/s: I seriously thought Ryota got the nick name Ma-kun from Mayonnaise haha =.=
I hope he will change a bit with the coming episodes so that the Mayonnaise will be the only reason to call him Ma-kun.

scattie

Post by scattie » Nov 30th, '12, 17:02

Ah I truly enjoyed ep1-4 so far, nice subtle touches through out the drama.

Just one screencap before I'm off to bed..
Btw I just realised Yamaguchi is like 47-48 years old now? She looks amazing *_*

RetroHelix
Germany

Post by RetroHelix » Dec 2nd, '12, 21:59

scattie wrote:...
Btw I just realised Yamaguchi is like 47-48 years old now? She looks amazing *_*
Word!
I just watched the sixth episode. :D It had many great scenes some really heart-warming and comedic ones. The one with Moe and Sae both eating while talking about Sae's job was my favourite.
I'm looking forward to the next episodes. It feels so good to watch this in a comfortably warm room with something fine to drink when its cold outside^^
I hope Ryota does not get in a quarrel with his old man. His father could get upset seeing Ryota chasing the same dream leaving him behind.

scattie

Post by scattie » Dec 3rd, '12, 14:57

Done with ep 07 *wibble* just delightful

Love the mother daugther bonding scenes esp during the hambuger cooking lesson ^^
As for Moe chan's interest with Kuna, it's not really she believes in it, it's rather due to her regret cause the last thing she did with Megumi was arguing right? I think she's looking for closure? That's why she can't let go of Megumi's desk and move forward..
I'd love to know what's written here, anyone would be kind enough to translate? Onegaishimasu~

Gankooyaji

Post by Gankooyaji » Dec 3rd, '12, 15:24

scattie wrote:I'd love to know what's written here, anyone would be kind enough to translate? Onegaishimasu~
It says:
Congratulations on checking out of the hospital.
I love you, Granddaddy!
Moe

Cute, huh?

scattie

Post by scattie » Dec 4th, '12, 13:05

Gankooyaji: Thank you!!!
Yup, definitely a cutie 8Dv

scattie

Post by scattie » Dec 17th, '12, 13:30

This drama can do no wrong :wub:

As for YOU's character, I kinda like her less =.=

t12345

Post by t12345 » Dec 17th, '12, 13:48

I think YOU is very realistic. She just says what others want to say/think but dare not to say or think aloud.

rootabega

Post by rootabega » Dec 20th, '12, 14:21

YOU is like a role model for me. 8) I miss her when she is not onscreen.

A great series!

scattie

Post by scattie » Dec 26th, '12, 15:10

That last episode was beautifully executed.

I can't say enough about how absolutely amazing Abe Hiroshi is. That man can play emotions across his face as easily as I breathe, and he made me go 'aaw' and sit in tense silence in sec.

I'm going to miss this drama :-(

Gankooyaji

Post by Gankooyaji » Dec 26th, '12, 23:22

scattie wrote:That last episode was beautifully executed.

I can't say enough about how absolutely amazing Abe Hiroshi is. That man can play emotions across his face as easily as I breathe, and he made me go 'aaw' and sit in tense silence in sec.

I'm going to miss this drama :-(
Second that all the way. I found this fascinating in its understatement and its subtle, skillful play of emotions (OK, OK, I'm also totally in love with Yamaguchi san, but that's a different issue). Pity about the ratings, but I really enjoyed every episode. Thanks so much to all the raw uploaders and subbers -- お疲れ様でした!! :salut: :salut: :salut:

t12345

Post by t12345 » Dec 27th, '12, 01:12

I have just finished the last episode last night. It lacks some excitement but it is very warming storytelling. Really like the way the camera zoomed in on facial expression and hands when cooking.

Thank you for RAW uploaders.

Happy new year to all. 新年あけましておめでとうございます。

justjdramas

Post by justjdramas » Dec 27th, '12, 02:20

This was a truly awsome drama. Every character was real, no scenes were forced, and the various subplots were all excellent. There are lots of jdramas that I enjoyed, but I cannot recall one being as well made as this one.

dapitik

Post by dapitik » Jan 1st, '13, 11:56

this is the best jdrama in fall season (and priceless too)

every episode just walking so calm and warm
i love the chemistry between makita aju, abe hiroshi & his wife
just like normal family
i want to build "ryota family atmosphere" on my family

the last eps is stunning
i cry when abe hiroshi cry :)). and make me remember the moment with my father too

the other good point is the beautiful guitar backsound in every scene
it so peacefull