Best subtitling software poll

For questions on the technical aspects about how to fansub. Come on, share those pearls of wisdom!
clemens
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:11 pm

Best subtitling software poll

Postby clemens » Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:46 am

Hello everyone,

I am relatively a beginner to subtitling and I have been mainly using Jubler, although at times I am frustrated with it.
I would like to start a poll (there is no specific option in this forum, but I suppose a thread should do just as fine or even better).
It would be nice if as many of you who do subtitling could post the name of their subtitler of choice and briefly mention the good and the bad points.
If using more than one software for different parts of the work, more than one choice for the poll is fine.
It would be nice to follow this standard

1) SOFTWARE NAME (task name if necessary):
G(ood): bla bla bla
NG: bla bla bal

2) SOFTWARE NAME (second task name):
G:
NG:

If you agree with someone else's choices, just copy and paste their text (still, you can add other comments if you wish).

Cheers

User avatar
Puppet Princess
Posts: 2284
Joined: Sun Sep 03, 2006 3:27 pm
Location: Hawaii

Postby Puppet Princess » Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:25 pm

The only subbers I know who use jubler are mac users and that was because aegisub had not finished developing their software for macs. I thought they had finally released the mac version though.

Either way, aegisub is the best and most advanced. It is designed with fansubbing in mind.
Other people might tell you DivXLand media subtitler or Subtitle workshop are good but they are pretty crappy in comparison to aegisubs features and ease of use. Aegisub also has a very detail manual to explain how to use all the features.

clemens
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:11 pm

Postby clemens » Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:25 pm

Thanks for the reply.
Although you probably are right, it does not mean that everyone thinks as you do. I just read recently the post of a guy who, after considering the various options, opted for Virtualsubsync. If I don't remember wrongly, he did so because it allows to see the wav file and because extra commands can easily be custom added.
The aim of this poll is exactly this, to have more precise data (and statistics) on usage, and understand the reasons behind people's choices.
I really hope this thread does not die so fast.
All the best

User avatar
Puppet Princess
Posts: 2284
Joined: Sun Sep 03, 2006 3:27 pm
Location: Hawaii

Postby Puppet Princess » Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:18 pm

He probably didn't do as much research as he thinks he did, since aegisub does audio waves too.
Plus it works with lua and avs scripts so you can get it to do a lot of things it isn't programmed to.

While a scattered amount of people use other programs, Aegisub is the standard program among drama fansubbers as well as anime fansubbers. I must conclude there is a reason for this.

mannie511
Posts: 45
Joined: Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:05 am
Location: Canada

Postby mannie511 » Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:52 pm

Aegisub all the way!

I sub mostly music videos and it's so easy to use, especially when you can look at the audio waves too.

I used to use VisualSubSync first to get the proper timings before I import into Aegisub, but now I use Aegisub for everything~

I agree with Puppet Princess, Aegisub was designed for Fansubbing!!!

I

clemens
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:11 pm

Postby clemens » Sat Sep 18, 2010 4:03 pm

I guess, then, that the poll has lost meaning. Aegisub is the winner.
Thank you for the advice, this piece of software is really cool.
All the best

User avatar
Engelchen18
Fansubber
Fansubber
Posts: 485
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2005 1:02 pm
Location: Germany
Contact:

Postby Engelchen18 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:46 pm

I use Subtitle workshop xD

Good to translate and you can input the video file to check your subs ^^

but I will try Aegisub ^^
Image Image
SunRise: Deutsche Subs SunRise Wikipage

ericf
Fansubber
Fansubber
Posts: 346
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2004 6:12 pm
Location: Sweden

Postby ericf » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:00 pm

I'll also chime in and say Aegisub is the program to use.
I have heard of a case where someone was unable to get it to work on Windows Vista but I've never had any trouble getting it to work. I've used it on 98, XP and Vista.

I used to use a couple of other programs but they didn't let me see the audio wave at the same time as the video.
Since you can change a lot of the settings for audio (how it's viewed), I think it's the best for timing subtitles to audio.

Some videos don't work well with Aegisub, but it's not primarily a video program so I don't have too many problems with that. I think I could get them to work better if I could write Avisynth scripts (better than I can now).

In short: Aegisub is the way to go if you need to sub something.

ericf

clemens
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:11 pm

Postby clemens » Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:10 am

Thanks for the replies.
I have been playing with Aegisub on WIndows and Linux without problems anyhow, when trying it on a mac, I wasn't able to input the text in Japanese. Anyone got the same problem?
Cheers.

User avatar
jocutus
Posts: 340
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2005 7:18 am
Location: Rhenus Fluvius
Contact:

Postby jocutus » Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:17 pm

I'm using Virtualsubsync. And I like it.
Life isn''t that complicated. One sweet memory will do...

User avatar
emma-ba
Posts: 369
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 2:07 pm
Contact:

Postby emma-ba » Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:27 pm

I like Subtitle Edit. I'll admit though I haven't tried any others. It was the first one I came across, it was easy to use and does everything I need.

User avatar
Keiko1981
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 5878
Joined: Sun Apr 09, 2006 11:27 am
Location: Sweden
Contact:

Postby Keiko1981 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:38 pm

1. Subtitles Workshop for typing up/editing subtitles. (It just has to do with the fact that I see the text easier in this program)
2. After that timing and minor editing in Aegisub.
Sutitles Status Twitter Dear My Sister, Itsuka Mata Aeru, Oshin, Seoul 1945
Seeding until July 15th Seoul 1945
Where to find dramas and subtitles

User avatar
kiramethyst
Posts: 59
Joined: Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:08 am

Postby kiramethyst » Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:53 am

clemens wrote:Thanks for the replies.
I have been playing with Aegisub on WIndows and Linux without problems anyhow, when trying it on a mac, I wasn't able to input the text in Japanese. Anyone got the same problem?
Cheers.


I have exactly the same problem. Even after 3 years the problem still has not been solved. In fact, while the Mac version 2.1.9 is able to open my Japanese srt file, the latest 3.0 versions cannot even read the file. I get an error message every time I tried.

I have tried Jubler before but it isn't as user-friendly as Aegisub. However, now that I don't have access to a Windows computer, this has gotten quite frustrating.

User avatar
dhisashi
Posts: 1410
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:40 pm
Location: Northern California

Postby dhisashi » Tue May 20, 2014 3:45 pm

kiramethyst wrote:
clemens wrote:Thanks for the replies.
I have been playing with Aegisub on WIndows and Linux without problems anyhow, when trying it on a mac, I wasn't able to input the text in Japanese. Anyone got the same problem?
Cheers.


I have exactly the same problem. Even after 3 years the problem still has not been solved. In fact, while the Mac version 2.1.9 is able to open my Japanese srt file, the latest 3.0 versions cannot even read the file. I get an error message every time I tried.

I have tried Jubler before but it isn't as user-friendly as Aegisub. However, now that I don't have access to a Windows computer, this has gotten quite frustrating.

I use Aegisub on an iMac running MAC OS X 10.6.8 and another iMac running 10.8.
You have to make sure that your Japanese fonts are loaded for use by your MAC.

Also use Aegisub 3.0.4. - their latest version for MAC still has too many bugs. But Aegisub 3.0.4. works like a charm.

:-)

dadelus
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:49 am

Postby dadelus » Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:51 am

I've tried Popsub, Subtitle Workshop, and Aegisub. And now I mainly use Aegisub because it's user-friendly, features more functions and doesn't have annoying bugs.

Previously, I've complaint about the inefficiency of Aegisub for it costs me much more time to time a video, but it turns out that it's mainly due to my unfamiliarity with the software. I use no other software than Aegisub now.
Last edited by dadelus on Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Morellet
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:47 am

Re:

Postby Morellet » Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:13 am

dadelus wrote:The problem with Aegisub, however, is the low efficiency of timing. Although the timing of Aegisub is precise thanks to the help of the audio-wave, it does take much more time for timing. With Aegisub, I need to pause with every line; while I can keep the video playing while doing timing in Subtitle Workshop.

For a 10-minutes video, it takes roughly 10-15 minutes to time with Subtitle Workshop, but it takes more than 20 minutes to time with Aegisub.

The problem is not with Aegisub, but with your own timing method. The solution is to first time the dialogue to just the audio track. You shouldn't reference the video track until you've finished your first pass of fine-timing. You don't have to reference the video at all when you're timing dialogue/anything audio-related (e.g. songs), since you'll use your keyframes file (whether it's a video.pass file [e.g. from VirtualDub], or a timecodes.txt file [possibly provided to you by your group's encoder]) to determine when to do keyframe snapping. You only need to time signs to the video, assuming your group's typesetter doesn't do their own timing. Then, after you've finished your first fine-timing pass, you then rewatch the video to check your timing; this way you can catch places where there were missing/fake keyframes, as well as other timing issues your subs might have (e.g. flickering, three-liners, inadequate screen time, timing inaccuracies...).

I'd recommend you read a few good timing guides written by some of the better-known anime fansubbing groups. I'd recommend you read the guides by unanimated (of Vivid), Doki, and WhyNot, which all suggest the same workflow that I briefly outlined above. I think you'll find timing to the audio track is FAR more efficient than the way you're currently doing it.

dadelus
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:49 am

Re: Re:

Postby dadelus » Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:18 am

Morellet wrote:
dadelus wrote:The problem with Aegisub, however, is the low efficiency of timing. Although the timing of Aegisub is precise thanks to the help of the audio-wave, it does take much more time for timing. With Aegisub, I need to pause with every line; while I can keep the video playing while doing timing in Subtitle Workshop.

For a 10-minutes video, it takes roughly 10-15 minutes to time with Subtitle Workshop, but it takes more than 20 minutes to time with Aegisub.

The problem is not with Aegisub, but with your own timing method. The solution is to first time the dialogue to just the audio track. You shouldn't reference the video track until you've finished your first pass of fine-timing. You don't have to reference the video at all when you're timing dialogue/anything audio-related (e.g. songs), since you'll use your keyframes file (whether it's a video.pass file [e.g. from VirtualDub], or a timecodes.txt file [possibly provided to you by your group's encoder]) to determine when to do keyframe snapping. You only need to time signs to the video, assuming your group's typesetter doesn't do their own timing. Then, after you've finished your first fine-timing pass, you then rewatch the video to check your timing; this way you can catch places where there were missing/fake keyframes, as well as other timing issues your subs might have (e.g. flickering, three-liners, inadequate screen time, timing inaccuracies...).

I'd recommend you read a few good timing guides written by some of the better-known anime fansubbing groups. I'd recommend you read the guides by unanimated (of Vivid), Doki, and WhyNot, which all suggest the same workflow that I briefly outlined above. I think you'll find timing to the audio track is FAR more efficient than the way you're currently doing it.


Thank you very much. I can totally understand what you mean now and I'm sorry for my ignorance. I'm getting used to the timing method of Aegisub now. I've read a guide by jadpraet, and I think I'll also check out the guides you mentioned cause I still have some problems with the software.

User avatar
Ais
Posts: 76
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:15 pm

Re: Best subtitling software poll

Postby Ais » Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:48 pm

Don't mean to revive an old thread but for timers, you can use these hotkeys to make pre-timing much faster:
Image

huyie
Fansub Admin
Fansub Admin
Posts: 319
Joined: Sat Oct 16, 2004 8:48 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Re: Best subtitling software poll

Postby huyie » Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:04 am

The multiple search and replace feature found in Subtitle Edit comes in handy when formatting subtitles and also fixing common OCR errors.

You can import the *.template file contained in the rar file attached, via the Multiple Replace option (Edit>Multiple Replace or Ctrl+Alt+M) and clicking the import button, to select the *.template.

I use it to basically replace any stray <br> tags to proper line breaks, the ♬ symbol which sometimes shows up as squares depending on the player you use, matching any dialogue which contains "/ -" over the one line and break them over two instead and also common OCR errors (e.g. replacing the 1 and 7 at the end of a word to ! and ? respectively).

If you are familiar with regular expressions, there are probably more things you can add to the Subtitle Edit template that would also be useful.

You can also Select All and use the Auto br feature, where the lines are quite long, so that it breaks up the lines to something more readable over multiple lines.
Attachments
subeditformatting.rar
(541 Bytes) Downloaded 15 times


Return to “Fansub Mentoring”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests