City Hall (SBS, 2009)

Discuss Korean drama series here.
Can2906

Post by Can2906 » Jan 1st, '10, 12:54

I am also a loyal fan of City Hall. Love every romantic scene in this series. I'll be watching this series over and over again until a better one comes along. Thanks BON for subbing this great drama. Happy New Year every one.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Jan 5th, '10, 16:45

And this drama was awarded at SBS Drama Awards.
For me it was too sentimental, but maybe I'm too embittered for that.

roxas44

Post by roxas44 » Jan 5th, '10, 17:45

"§ junior pansy, hope it's not too late, but soft subs are now available at withS2 site, courtesy of B.O.N Fansubbers. " rambutan wrote this.

Dear rambutan, have been searching softsubs for CH lie crazy. I check every possible way ay withs2 site but could not find. Is it possible for you to give a link to reach softsubs for CH.

It will be highly appreciated.

thanks.

rambutan
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by rambutan » Feb 19th, '10, 02:37

@Roxas, sorry to reply so late. Been away. To get the soft subs, you have to be a member of VIA, I think. Check it out again at WITHS2's site.

@Can2906, glad to know there's another fan of The City Hall.

@Ethlenn, I agree with you. Sometimes I find certain dramas too cheesy, especially when my mood is not there. However, sometimes I melt. Nevertheless, no matter what my mood is, to affect my heart and tear glands, the actors have to be convincing. Of course, if my mood is not there, the actors have to be even more convincing. KSA and CSW are two of the finest actors around, and I had no trouble being convinced!

toenail

Post by toenail » Feb 20th, '10, 02:55

Hi rambutan, just want to say thanks first. I just finished d/l City Hall and can't wait to start watching it, as soon as I finish When It's at Night. Got Kim Sun Ah craze here..

rambutan
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by rambutan » Feb 20th, '10, 05:50

@ toenails, I'm not surprised you caught the Kim Sunah craze! She's one of Korea's finest; she makes me laugh, then cry within minutes. Have you seen the movie "She's on duty"? Great fun!

yan_ange

I love with City Hall

Post by yan_ange » Apr 18th, '10, 17:59

Being a very very frequent watcher of Kdrama (both the good & the bad).

This story is a "true class 1st rate" Kdrama. I have watched loads of sappy, over the top Kdrama being a bit of a addict, I am the type to do an all nighter to watch a kdrama.

This drama was so good that I stayed up to 5am watching it all in the 1 go. I watched it with Chinese sub instead of English sub cause the Chinese just made a lot more sense.

I agree with most here that Jo Gyuk was definitely not likeable and he seemed arrogant and incapable of his job, running that contest, he just didn't seem to care. Mi Rae was a very naive and seemed to just do the most absurd things to catch the limelight, but unlike most kdramas I wouldn't have quite guessed that the 2 will be attracted to each other since Jo Gyuk seemed very much like an over-ambitious jerk in the first 8 episode, he slowly changed from episode 8 onwards but then I thought he just wanted to manipulate the naive and innocent Mi Rae, I am so glad that was not his intentions!

Btw...no spoilers but boy...this series knows how to write a love story, the romantic bits just keep snow balling and snow balling till the finale. My heart jumped at that contract...so touching, my heart melted, It's even better cause the drama editors' didn't always showed all the scenes of the romantic situations and held off those full scenes till the end, which added to the emotional/ touching acts that Jo Gyuk did. I thought that it was very very sweet of that very mushy teenage trainers scene, it's so cute, two grown ups wearing the same trainers, the intentions are so endearing and raw with the two of them.

Congrats on the acting to the whole team and especially the writers and the fansubber, it's great to have a drama which delivers heartbreak, love, power and intensity!!

My fav drama in 2009, (don't blame me here, I didn't like shining inheritance, way too Kdrama pop for me, I couldn't stand it and had to keep fast forwarding, if you like City Hall I don't think you will find Shining Inheritance your cup of tea cause you will compare the acting between HHJ/LSG and KSA/CSW too much and than you realise, there are no comparisons to be made- note though this is only my opinion)
Last edited by yan_ange on Apr 19th, '10, 06:06, edited 1 time in total.

rambutan
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by rambutan » Apr 19th, '10, 03:23

yan_ange, your analysis makes me want to watch City Hall yet again! What deep insight into the drama you have! I couldn't have expressed those thoughts better. I like how you use the word "snowballing" to describe how the romance developed. I also 100% agree that the acting is second to none! :P

Did you also catch that last clip about a certain phone call? That was pure cream on a totally satisfying cake.

yan_ange

Post by yan_ange » Apr 19th, '10, 06:04

Hey Rambutan,

I am delighted that you like my comments and observations, perhaps my detailed observations just show the level of procrastination and addiction I have for kdrama which may be a good or really a bad habit. I watch too many you see.

But yes, the culminating effects of Jo Gyuk's actions is so touching. I think I might re-watch this drama a month later and see if I feel the same thing. See, my test to see if a kdrama is truly touching is to watch it a month later with a slightly less refreshed memory and see if I am touched again, if I am, it means that this is a good drama :wub:

What are dramas that you would recommend if I like City Hall? I want good acting, I was watching a little bit of cinderalla man. OMG, that is like so bad that I have no words to describe it at all.

I am just thinking of delving back into Lovers in Paris cause of Park Shin Yang and also Money's Warefare cause of Park Shin Yang....

junior_pansy

Post by junior_pansy » Apr 19th, '10, 07:19

rambutan wrote:yan_ange, your analysis makes me want to watch City Hall yet again! What deep insight into the drama you have! I couldn't have expressed those thoughts better. I like how you use the word "snowballing" to describe how the romance developed. I also 100% agree that the acting is second to none! :P

Did you also catch that last clip about a certain phone call? That was pure cream on a totally satisfying cake.
I totally agree with you.

Unlike most kdrama where the endings tends to be ambiguous or vague, this was wrapped up nice... leaving no unanswered or lingering questions..

I have yet to watch Shining Inheritance... watched Invincible Lee Pyung Kang though... perhaps because there was Nam Sang Mi... and Gourmet now...

Both of which I thought was decent and entertaining Yet the level of enjoyment I get and the snowballing of the romance cant equal CH.

I can't wait for another KSA kd.. or if anyone out there who knows another kdrama with the same script writers, please recommend to us here.

:salut:

rambutan
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by rambutan » Apr 20th, '10, 09:10

yan_ange, I'm not sure whether our likes are very similar. While I adored CH, I am neutral on Park Shin Yang. He is a very, very good actor, but he never captured my heart like Jo Guk (Cha Seung Won) did. But if you ask me, I would say Damo is one of my all time favourites. Long Vacation, a Jp romcom, is another. For recent fare, I enjoyed You're Beautiful, Chuno and Queen Seonduk. If you want depth, a great story and fantastic acting, go for My Friend, the Legend (starring Hyun Bin and Kim Min Joon).

Junior_pansy, do you know that Kim Sunah's new drama, I am Legend, will be airing in June? The writer is a bit of an unknown, but the director/PD Kim Hyung Sik is quite reputable (Lovers in Prague, Cain and Abel, Surgeon Bong Dal Hee).

yan_ange

Post by yan_ange » Apr 20th, '10, 13:16

rambutan wrote:yan_ange, I'm not sure whether our likes are very similar. While I adored CH, I am neutral on Park Shin Yang. He is a very, very good actor, but he never captured my heart like Jo Guk (Cha Seung Won) did. But if you ask me, I would say Damo is one of my all time favourites. Long Vacation, a Jp romcom, is another. For recent fare, I enjoyed You're Beautiful, Chuno and Queen Seonduk. If you want depth, a great story and fantastic acting, go for My Friend, the Legend (starring Hyun Bin and Kim Min Joon).

Junior_pansy, do you know that Kim Sunah's new drama, I am Legend, will be airing in June? The writer is a bit of an unknown, but the director/PD Kim Hyung Sik is quite reputable (Lovers in Prague, Cain and Abel, Surgeon Bong Dal Hee).
Hey Rambutan, thanks for letting me know. I may buy "My Friend, the Legend" now, I may also watch Wueen Seonduk as well. I watched You're Beautiful, it was better than your average teen romcom which was a bit of the surprise cause I thought the girl turned boy genre got a bit tired with a bit of overkill in recent Taiwanese, Japanese and Korean drama examples like (hana yori dango/ coffee prince etc etc)

If you like Long Vacation, you should definitely check out Pride by Takuya, it's good too!

rambutan
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by rambutan » Apr 20th, '10, 15:38

yan_ange wrote:
If you like Long Vacation, you should definitely check out Pride by Takuya, it's good too!
Yan, I have watched all of Kimura Takuya's dramas. KT has been my idol from Day 1! Pride is one of the best (although I like LV better).

Eh, just remembered I haven't watched Mr Brain.... I've such a backlog of dramas to watch!

yan_ange

Post by yan_ange » Apr 21st, '10, 13:14

You should also watch Takuya's Change, I haven't watched Mr Brain either but he has a new drama coming up in May, so I am looking forward to that!

Anyways, my next endeavour are the dramas you spoke about especially QSD!

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Apr 21st, '10, 13:30

yan_ange wrote: I thought the girl turned boy genre got a bit tired with a bit of overkill in recent Taiwanese, Japanese and Korean drama examples like (hana yori dango/ coffee prince etc etc)!
You meant Hanakimi? Hanazakari no Kimitachi e.

I Am Legend will be uploaded here, so don't worry. The uploader is set, and she's fast, so probably the episode will be the same day.

rambutan
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by rambutan » Apr 22nd, '10, 00:54

yan_ange wrote:You should also watch Takuya's Change, I haven't watched Mr Brain either but he has a new drama coming up in May, so I am looking forward to that!

Anyways, my next endeavour are the dramas you spoke about especially QSD!
Hahaha! I have watched Change. Warned you I've watched all his dramas, haven't I? :lol

As for QSD, you're going to fall in love with not one guy but maybe two or more! Ah, I just love guys with long flashy hair or in shiny metal costumes! :w00t: I had one biggest and most enduring crush on one of them. Well, you tell me which one you had a crush on, after you've finished! I must have gobbled up at least 10 eps a day, sleeping only 3 or 4 hours a night while marathoning this series. :goggle: The story was that engaging.

rambutan
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by rambutan » Apr 22nd, '10, 01:01

Ethlenn wrote:
yan_ange wrote: I thought the girl turned boy genre got a bit tired with a bit of overkill in recent Taiwanese, Japanese and Korean drama examples like (hana yori dango/ coffee prince etc etc)!
You meant Hanakimi? Hanazakari no Kimitachi e.

I Am Legend will be uploaded here, so don't worry. The uploader is set, and she's fast, so probably the episode will be the same day.
Well, I love all the girl turned boy series mentioned here - You're Beautiful, Hanakimi and Coffee Prince. You can bet Personal Taste (guy pretending to be gay so he can live with girl) is on my Must Watch list.

Will you be uploading I am Legend? Thanks for that. BON will be subbing this drama. There's a team of hardcore Kim Sunah fans there.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Apr 22nd, '10, 04:19

No, The Chaos chan is responsible for the upload of I Am Legend. :salut:
She's fast and reliable.

sitaslide

Post by sitaslide » Aug 21st, '10, 00:04

hi..hi...
i just finished watching this drama this week... it is certainly one of my best kdrama that i ever watched... it really has a great plot, acting, and very nice perfect happy ending (this is what usually the hard one for them to make or at least that i would say perfect ending)...
i agree with almost all the comments of the insights about this drama... it's just makes me happier and exciting to have same opinions and enriches the appreciation of CH... KSA and CSW really deserve their awards from their hard work in CH...

rambutan
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by rambutan » Aug 21st, '10, 00:43

Sitaslide, welcome to Inju City! Better late than never that you discovered The City Hall. There will be many good dramas, and even more bad ones coming by. But The City Hall will always be one that let our passion soar to the sky. After a viewing, our imagination will run wild. It's a drama to which it's hard to say "Goodbye". Therefore, repeats are necessary,
because this drama makes us laugh and cry.

moonpie

Post by moonpie » Sep 26th, '10, 13:26

Reading all your exciting comments here, I have gone out to the mall and got myself a Cityhall DVD with Eng subs.....I am trying hard to get rid of my eyebags and if this show is as addictive as it sounds, don't think it is achieveable (ie my eyebags)....

rambutan
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by rambutan » Sep 27th, '10, 12:38

Moon, if you can get rid of your eye bags, good luck! If not, at least you spent it on a good cause! :P

Neliets

Post by Neliets » Sep 27th, '10, 14:50

I didn't find this drama that addictive or even intersting for that matter.

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Oct 3rd, '10, 19:23

Neliets.

Just saw this thread. Was relieved to see your opinion of this drama.. I have been afraid to even mention my own thoughts whenever I read other postings on other sites. This was one drama that did not send me into raptures at all. I thought it very fractured and the various people were not entrancing at all. I do like Cha and I have seen him many times and enjoyed his work. This time out I could not get enthused for anything about this drama.
I thought it must have been me and maybe I had watched one too many kdramas ! ! !

Peg

Sham26

Post by Sham26 » Jan 18th, '11, 20:04

Finally :D ,so here what I think...
Not the best for me but its good though, I would like it more if it had less than 20 episodes cause in the first episodes it was funny (not good though) , the middle I find the whole thing boring , but after ep14 I was liking it ...and the end -for me- was the best !
KSA is a good actress thre 's no doubt ., but how can she ride a bike wearing that clothes ???
..and CSW I didnt like him first , but its not good to judge ppl from the first sight ...In the end I found it good maybe Ill watch some of his works ! There is a scene , he was smiling and I was saying I ve already seen that smile yeah he reminds me of LDW - maybe was I dreaming :unsure: -
And there 's also the photograph ...just a cameo but I like this guy :wub: (Isnt he secretary Kim in SG ?!!!)
Anyway I would give the drama another title "Number 5" yeah I guess its much better :D , so despite the weak points, I liked it !

toenail

Post by toenail » Apr 9th, '11, 03:10

Just dropping in to say: City Hall is an excellent drama! Please watch it, if you haven't already!
I am on ep10, and it grows on me. The first 5 eps could be patchy as the drama tries to prepare you for the ride, but don't let it deter you, keep on watching and you'll be rewarded handsomely.

Strong cast, excellent script, wonderful songs.. in addition to the great Kim Sun Ah and Cha Seung Won, watch out for Choo Sang Mi... I want to strangle her, but at the same time loving her too!

(Disclaimer: the drama age of the characters, I think 36 and 39 yo, is probably not everyone's cup of tea.. if for example you love You're Beautiful because Lee Hong Ki is young and pretty, then this is not for you. What it's being served here is mature love with it's package of anxiety, matter of trust, conflict of heart and ambition, sarcasm and wit, and such - ah I just can't describe it, it's wonderful).

amoozboosh

Post by amoozboosh » Mar 1st, '12, 09:41

I am in the process of finishing this drama. I saw a number of recommendation threads for this one, and I must say, I am definitely enjoying it. The first 3 or 4 episodes were very mediocre but I am finding that with most of the k-dramas that I have seen so far, it seems to take that number of episodes to really get into it. The character development is good and some of the funny moments really had me doubled over. Also the romance between the leads is sweet, though I must admit it took a while for the guy to grow on me. On the whole this drama definitely rates at least a 7/10 for me.

Sajen16

Post by Sajen16 » Jul 18th, '12, 04:58

I just finished episode 7 and still wondering if they forgot they gave Cha Seung Won a fiance because she's had like at the most 5 combined minutes of screen time and people mentioning her, not that I'm complaining as she was being set up to be an annoying ****

Silverman

Post by Silverman » Jul 18th, '12, 09:42

Just wait. It all falls into place. The only weird thing, which concerns the fiancé topic is(for ME):
At no point of the drama seems Kim Sun Ah's character to show some concern that the guy she bangs, has a fiancé, Even if it is a arranged, political relationship, a fiancé is a fiancé...period.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Jul 18th, '12, 09:50

Here comes the b*tch...

You know, I don't think Korea is THAT open yet to give any male drama character a "fiancé" (LiB excluded). Usually they give them a "fiancée". Yes, one "e" can save few families.

Silverman

Post by Silverman » Jul 18th, '12, 10:16

Sue me, i will rape the english language how i want, whenever i want with whom i want.

Fiancé and fiancée are two of these words, which i confuse. I mean i use these words once in a blue moon^^. Well and Sajen wrote fiance, so i thought...well...fiance should be right^^.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Jul 18th, '12, 10:57

Don't give me any kinky ideas at 1 PM, I need to focus. 8)

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Jul 18th, '12, 20:34

It is necessary to be very careful with 'words' at times. People get attached or maybe want to. get away from. words. It's like an itch you can't scratch. You have my empathy and sympathy my dear.

All I can say about that drama is that I will have to find time in the future to watch it again. I can't remember anything lovely or exciting about it at all. Cha does not have the right aura for me. I think he is too old and there is no magnetism. I am much older than he is but I like 'em with a little charm and life in them. When I see him I only think of his teen and twenty year old children and the fact that he is a good business man.
Admirable, but not too nerve starting.

Question re subject in above postings. why is it considered OK and somewhat titillating to have a girl pretend to be a boy in some dramas.? I mean we don't often see a boy acting as a girl throughout a drama. I do remember an American weekly show that was supposed to be a comedy and Tom Hanks played seriously in drag throughout the show each week. Long time ago and can't remember the title. I guess it was funny because they played is so seriously.

Silverman

Post by Silverman » Jul 18th, '12, 22:18

Peggy wrote:
Question re subject in above postings. why is it considered OK and somewhat titillating to have a girl pretend to be a boy in some dramas.? I mean we don't often see a boy acting as a girl throughout a drama. I do remember an American weekly show that was supposed to be a comedy and Tom Hanks played seriously in drag throughout the show each week. Long time ago and can't remember the title. I guess it was funny because they played is so seriously.

In a lot of animes it's the other way around. In most cases guys pretend to be girls.
There could be a few reasons, why there are almost no dramas(at least i don't know them) with boys as girls.

-most of the korean young actors+idols are muscle-hulks and in more reavealing cloths, which are worn by most girls, well are too revealing as they could sell it, that this person is a girl and not a guy...i think japanese actors could do it a lot better, since they tend to be skinny and not muscled-up. THe best evidence is visual key, since they tend to crossdress (don't kill me, if i generalized a subgenre). There are not many JGS out there in Korea^^. And yes I've seen a few korean 17y old idols dress as girls, but it was still a little bit obvious, even if their faces are girly and a lot of them are as pretty as girls. In korea it's a special problem...the girls are sooooooooooooooo skinny out there...they are considered fat, if their weight is over 90lb with a high of 5ft 6...seriously it's sick...on an normal worldscale it'a a serious malnutrationproblem (its an underweight of like 20-30 lb)..so now try to press a 150-190 lb guy in cloths of a korean girl....

-second reason has also to do with the physique of the idols...they are in most cases over 6 feet tall...so basically you can say, that a hulk in a miniskirt would be awkward. (i hope my GF will never read this, since she is 6ft 6^^-i hope i did the math right)

-3rd anatomy-point: the voice. Every boy over 15 has a very deep voice compared to girls. And while you can overlook a crossdressed girl with a somewhat soft voice, you can't overlook a crossdressed boy with a baritone or bass.

-then in korean subconsciousness (at least so it is presented by kdramas) men are wolfs. And while a girl in an awkward shower/pool scene is cute and innocent, a guy would be seen as a pervert...basic fact

-at this point you can argue, that the girls dressed as boys are not more convincing. But you have to think, that there are a lot of young guys out there with a weak physique and a girly face...but not a lot Schwarzenegger-like girls.

b2City Hall
I think Mr Cha's age is perfect for this drama. Because they cant let a 25 year old man play a congressman with a lot of experience.

Sajen16

Post by Sajen16 » Jul 18th, '12, 23:59

Silverman wrote:Sue me, i will rape the english language how i want, whenever i want with whom i want.

Fiancé and fiancée are two of these words, which i confuse. I mean i use these words once in a blue moon^^. Well and Sajen wrote fiance, so i thought...well...fiance should be right^^.
hey now while English is my only language and I prefer the company of words to numbers ,or people, spelling has never been my strong point, although in this case I never knew there were two spellings I mean they're said the exact same way and I've never written them before or seen them in writing, heck I'm not even sure how I knew how to spell fiance

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Jul 19th, '12, 02:33

I suppose it depends when you were in school and in English class. There was a time when male and female words were well known just because they were in use both in literature and newspapers and general use. Then something odd happened. Fiance and fiancee seemed to drop by the wayside. It was boyfriend and girlfriend shacking up for six months and then parting, or a couple even getting married for about twelve months and then divorcing. Believe me I was shocked twenty years ago when my sister in law told me that in UK this was quite usual and did not even raise eyeborws. I wonder now what is the style? Have not been home since then and not likely to go. That is not the reason of course, but I just wonder if anything has changed.

Incidentally the words fiance and fiancee aren't even English. They are French

The English language is an amalgam just like the English people as of today. We just don't paint ourselves blue any more.

sunflower63

Post by sunflower63 » Aug 14th, '12, 12:32

Hi all, I am about to start watching this after Coffee Prince, Secret Garden and Biscuit Teacher and Star Candy. I hope it is as good as these three as I really enjoyed them and will certainly rewatch them all again.

Keikan

Post by Keikan » Aug 20th, '12, 16:32

I've just finished watching this drama and I have to say I think it was one of the best Asian dramas I ever watched. That's really saying something for someone like me who is extremely picky when it comes to dramas.

I think that the two things I appreciated the most were the story and the two main actors' performances. The main story carries such a meaningful message that it made me reconsider the way I lead my life. For the first three episodes I was wondering "why am I watching this again?" but then suddenly the story started picking up, and gradually, episode after episode, became more and more interesting. By episode 7 or so you start to get what the gist of this drama is all about, and by episode 10 you start to get really sucked into it, until episode 15 were things start to climax. Unlike most K-drama, you just never know what is going to happen next and this makes "City Hall" a real emotional roller-coaster, due to all the suspense. I think it's also one of the rare K-dramas that manage to keep you interested for the whole 20 episodes, one of those dramas that is even more interesting at the end than it was in the beginning.

I also loved the fact that there was an actual stand-alone story to follow, and that the love-story was only secondary (although really fascinating to watch as well for once!). Finally a mature story involving a mature couple. And by mature, I mean that the whole story was not about 25+ years old characters acting like teenagers and the plot revolving around 1). an arrogant, mother-complexed, hygiene freak and 2). a stupid "suffering in silence" type of Mary Sue 3). their love-story and 4). the people who want to harm them for no apparent reason than because they're "eviiiill~!". Instead, we have two characters late 30's, who, when it comes to life and love, have seen it all, and have long lost their illusions. These two characters are far from perfect. You could even argue that throughout most of the drama the main male character is nothing but a jerk, and that his actions are more than questionable. But it is precisely the fact that these characters are so flawed that makes them fascinating to watch. The love-story was kind of unusual too in the sense that it involved suspense, but without resorting to love-triangles.

Usually I overlook acting in my reviews because most Korean actors I have seen in dramas are far from convincing, but I have nothing but praise for Kim Sun Ah and Cha Seung Won. They are both terrific actors sharing an incredible chemistry and I really appreciate the level at which they invested themselves in this drama. They were really professional about every scene (I'm thinking about kissing scenes particularly... proper kissing at last! see ep.15) and looked like they were having a lot of fun acting together (see episode 14 and the bloopers). As a result their characters and the love-story they were involved in felt so real! I've rarely been as invested in two characters as I was with Shin Mi Rae and Jo Gok. I think it's no wonder the two actors won an award for best actors in this drama.

I think "City Hall" is definitely one of those dramas I will want to watch again in the future. Which, for me is very rare. :)

sunflower63

Post by sunflower63 » Aug 21st, '12, 06:47

Keikan this review is really encouraging for me. I am going to start watching this in a few days and I am now really looking forward to it.

Keikan

Post by Keikan » Aug 21st, '12, 13:13

@sunflower63: Glad to hear that! It was so good I don't know how I'll manage to enjoy the next drama I'll watch! xD Have fun though and let me know what you thought! :-)

sunflower63

Post by sunflower63 » Aug 27th, '12, 10:52

...err, I am at ep. 6 so far and I am finding this drama a little bit silly (except for the tango dancing scene which was great!) and with no particular romantic sparkle between the two lead actors as yet. I am going to hold on and carry on watching it because I have faith in all the positive reviews I have read but why am I finding that the lead actor has only one facial expression in all the scenes? Aaarghh, I hope this improves soon, or maybe I am too biased coming from Gong Yoo's excellent acting?

Keikan

Post by Keikan » Aug 27th, '12, 12:11

sunflower63: Haha! I remember watching until episode 7 or 8 going "errr... why am I watching this?" but it does get better. Just hang in there. ;)

sunflower63

Post by sunflower63 » Aug 30th, '12, 06:23

Hi Keikan I have now reached episode 14 and as you said it did get better. The ball started rolling for me after ep. 10 as in my opinion it changed rather drastically from a rather silly and light plot to a much deeper and involving one. Probably this happens often in Kdramas but it is the first time that I find such a difference in the plot from one half to the other as I only just started watching them.

sunflower63

Post by sunflower63 » Sep 2nd, '12, 08:23

Hi, I just finished watching this. As I said above it did get better in the second half and I appreciated this drama in the end especially as it gives such a deep insight on the political world which is similar in all the parts of the world. The lead actress was absolutely the best for me as she underwent a total transformation from the beginning until the end. I also appreciated the role of the two assistants and I found myself cheering for the lead actress to end up with her assistant in some points of the story. CSW didn't do much for me, he got better towards the end but he is not in my top list of favourite actors.