Post by bigsoccer » Jun 2nd, '10, 08:07

Your top 5 romantic/comedy JDrama.

Thank you.

nawidy
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by nawidy » Jun 2nd, '10, 08:41

a tough one
especially since i don't remember all of the dramas i've seen by genre.
One that stands out, the rest may not be 100% love/comedy but comedy with some romance nonetheless.

There may be some typos in my list but here it is:

1. Manhattan Love Story
2. Dekichatta Kekkon
3 Nodame Cantabile
4. Himitsu no Hanazono
5. My Boss My Hero

yanie
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by yanie » Jun 2nd, '10, 08:47

1. Dekichatta Kekkon (Shotgun Marriage) - Takenouchi Yutaka, Hirosue Ryoko, Abe Hiroshi (2001)
2. Narita RIkon (Narita Divorce) - Kusanagi Tsuyoshi, Seto Asaka, Abe Hiroshi, Fukatsu Eri (1997)
3. Omiai Kekkon (Arranged Marriage) - Matsu Takako, Yusuke Santamaria (2000)

I can only recommend these three.

IMO, these 3 represents THE "Romantic Comedy" J-Drama. This 'kekkon' trilogy were all written by a housewife, Yoshida Noriko, and I think she is the BEST genuine-romantic-comedy writer in Japan. She writes very good stories, well-built and believable characters, great point of views on marriage, with full romantic moments plus hillarious, unforgettable comical/comedic moments that can make you laugh out loud.

Of course, there are other good romantic comedies, but the more recent ones mostly are just light romantic that doesn't has much comedy moments with so-so, not-funny-enough jokes.

Oh, wait a minute... NODAME CANTABILE is awesome too! But is that in the romance genre??^^ Or is it more in the musical genre? Love Shuffle was okay, just not enough comedic moments.

If you want both genuine romance and genuine comedy, then I definitely recommend the 'kekkon' trilogy^^

marina_khv

Post by marina_khv » Jun 2nd, '10, 09:39

Beautiful Life
Hitotsu yane no shita
Bara no nai hanaya
Pride
Hotaru no hikari
:)

arakira
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by arakira » Jun 2nd, '10, 10:52

yanie, thanks for the rec, i'll definitely try these 3. Looking for older dramas atm anyway :D

IMO Romance+true Comedy isn't very common in Japanese dramas, but i enyoyed those:

1. Hotaru no Hikari
2. Kekkon Dekinai Hito
3. Nodame Cantabile
4. Kimi Wa Petto
5. Zettai Kareshi

Beautiful Life and Bara No Nai Hanaya are also great romance dramas but rather tragic than comedy.

The Chaos
Upload Addict
Upload Addict

Post by The Chaos » Jun 2nd, '10, 11:16

I'm only gonna put two since I think they my only favorites :

Hana yori Dango
Nodame Cantabile

:mrgreen:

menaine

Post by menaine » Jun 2nd, '10, 20:05

maybe not the best, but Proposal Daisakusen is my top one of romantic-comedy drama

The others:
Densha Otoko

Kenedaa

Post by Kenedaa » Jun 2nd, '10, 21:08

I can only think about Kekkon dekinai otoko and Hotaru no Hikari
marina_khv wrote:Beautiful Life
Hitotsu yane no shita
Bara no nai hanaya
Pride
Hotaru no hikari
:)
I really don't understand how you can consider Bara no nai hanaya and Beautiful Life comedies Oo.

thanks for the recommendation yanie!

Gir

Post by Gir » Jun 2nd, '10, 22:01

Ok, my favorites would be:

Long Vacation
Kekkon Dekinai Otoko
Narita Divorce
Last Christmas
Bus Stop
Double Kitchen
Magerarengi onna
And
Chakushin Ari

Well, I guess there is more than 5, but I just couldn't leave out a couple.

:whistling: And the last one was in there just to see if people are paying attention. :lol

But you have to admit there was some romance going on in it.

hiroshi

Lots to choose from ...

Post by hiroshi » Jun 2nd, '10, 23:45

Off the top of my head, here's my favorites in no particular order. I just listed them by the year they came out (or thereabouts).

Long Vacation (1996), Love Generation (1997), Great Teacher Onizuka (1998), Yamato Nadeshiko (2000), Mukudono! (2001 version), Hero (2001, SP, and movie), Densha Otoko (2005), Nodame Cantabile (2006), My Boss My Hero (2006), Kekkon Dekinai Otoko (2006), Haken no Hinkaku (2007).

Don't ask me to pick a top 5 'cause I can't!

Of course, there are others but these are my picks for dramas with both romance and comedy as main themes. As you can tell, I have a preference for the "classics"! :)

yanie
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by yanie » Jun 3rd, '10, 02:59

Please allow me to comment on the drama's titles mentioned here :roll

I would put these dramas in the same group:
Beautiful Life
Bara no nai hanaya
Pride
Last Christmas
Long Vacation
Love Generation
Yamato Nadeshiko

They are genuine romance but were definitely not genuine comedy, some light jokes here and there, but it won't make you laugh "hahaha", probably just smile. These dramas also has quite amount of angst. But I'd recommend them, just because they ARE GOOD^^ I really enjoyed these dramas, too.
Long Vacation is probably the brightest and the funniest one in this group, though, thanks to Yamaguchi Tomoko and Inamori Izumi's characters :)

Kekkon Dekinai Otoko - this is suppose to be in the romance genre, but actually we don't get much romantic moments afterall, due to Abe Hiroshi's character's quirky-ness. And it has less comedy than I expected. This is a light and entertaining drama. But I have to say this is not a genuine romance nor it is a genuine comedy XD Abe Hiroshi and Natsukawa Yui's pairing is very good though!! :thumright:

Genuine romance, genuine comedy, yes, I'd recommend them too (in the best order):
1. Nodame Cantabile - AWESOME!
2. Hana yori Dango - GREAT!
3. Densha Otoko - ENTERTAINING!
4. Mukodono! - has the same romance and family moments amount
5. Hotaru no hikari - I didn't really enjoy this one, but seem like many people loves it, so maybe you should try it too^^

NOT romance:
Great Teacher Onizuka (1998) - LOVED IT! but this is a school drama
Hero (2001, SP, and movie) - My all-time fave! Awesome comedy, but this is definitely a law drama
Hitotsu yane no shita - it's a touching family drama, heavily focus on the siblings bond
Himitsu no Hanazono - focused on the brothers' bond, VERY GOOD COMEDY, but little romance
Chakushin Ari - :lol should I even say anything? haha, in case anyone is seriously wondering, it's a horror movie^^

I'm explaining all these, just in case the starter of the thread is looking for the genuine romance, genuine comedy-type of dramas ^_^

hiroshi

Post by hiroshi » Jun 3rd, '10, 04:20

Yanie, everyone has their own interpretation of what is comedy, what is drama, what is romance, what is a human drama. The initial poster asked a very open ended question without specifying she or he was looking for.

You have your opinion and interpretation of what romance is. Others have theirs. Instead of judging other posters' interpretation and questioning their judgment, it'd be much more respectful if you just let others express their opinions and leave it as is.

Just because in your opinion, Kekkon Dekinai Otoko doesn't have enough romantic moments for your liking, then it's not a genuine romance? Like I said, please be more respectful towards your fellow posters. Thank you.

kawaiimomo

Post by kawaiimomo » Jun 3rd, '10, 04:32

I agree with Yanie, as much as i loved Kekkon Dekinai Otoko it wasn't much of a love story. there was romantic tension and even a bit of romance but no out right love story in there like Long Vacation or Hana Yori Dango. I wish there were more genuine jdrama romantic comedies!! there aren't enough just a handful. sigh.... :glare:

yanie
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by yanie » Jun 3rd, '10, 04:43

hiroshi wrote:Yanie, everyone has their own interpretation of what is comedy, what is drama, what is romance, what is a human drama. The initial poster asked a very open ended question without specifying she or he was looking for.

You have your opinion and interpretation of what romance is. Others have theirs. Instead of judging other posters' interpretation and questioning their judgment, it'd be much more respectful if you just let others express their opinions and leave it as is.

Just because in your opinion, Kekkon Dekinai Otoko doesn't have enough romantic moments for your liking, then it's not a genuine romance? Like I said, please be more respectful towards your fellow posters. Thank you.
Oh, I really have no intention to offend anyone here. I'm very sorry >_< I was just stating my opinion on these dramas. And of course, it's not a romance JUST in my opinion. I agree that it might be romance/comedy for other people.

I'm very sorry. I'll be more careful next time.

I might have gone over the line, because I really like romantic comedy genre dramas. And I get excited talking about it.

I'm very, very sorry *bows*

chili01

Post by chili01 » Jun 3rd, '10, 05:00

yanie wrote:1. Dekichatta Kekkon (Shotgun Marriage) - Takenouchi Yutaka, Hirosue Ryoko, Abe Hiroshi (2001)
2. Narita RIkon (Narita Divorce) - Kusanagi Tsuyoshi, Seto Asaka, Abe Hiroshi, Fukatsu Eri (1997)

I can only recommend these three.

IMO, these 3 represents THE "Romantic Comedy" J-Drama. This 'kekkon' trilogy were all written by a housewife, Yoshida Noriko, and I think she is the BEST genuine-romantic-comedy writer in Japan. She writes very good stories, well-built and believable characters, great point of views on marriage, with full romantic moments plus hillarious, unforgettable comical/comedic moments that can make you laugh out loud.

Of course, there are other good romantic comedies, but the more recent ones mostly are just light romantic that doesn't has much comedy moments with so-so, not-funny-enough jokes.

Oh, wait a minute... NODAME CANTABILE is awesome too! But is that in the romance genre??^^ Or is it more in the musical genre? Love Shuffle was okay, just not enough comedic moments.

If you want both genuine romance and genuine comedy, then I definitely recommend the 'kekkon' trilogy^^
where can I download or watch those? they are somewhat old so Im having trouble finding them

ohspicysriracha

Post by ohspicysriracha » Jun 3rd, '10, 06:12

I usually just frequent the boards to check out the good stuff that's out there.. because there are just so many shows to *attempt* to keep up on.. but as for the jdramas that I've kept because they were pretty awesome in no particular order:

More than Top 5
1) Nodame Cantabile - after the remake from animation --> live-action, although didn't entirely coincide, still brought plenty of laughter.. and Nodame's relationship woes.. are truly a unique one. Everybody's favorite

2) Orange days - Definitely a tear jerker and interesting story/plot

3) Ryokiteki no Kanojo - from what I heard, this is a remake from the korean version?

4) Proposal Daisakusen - Also one of those that I think, everybody would like

5) Lunch Queen w/ Takeuchi Yuko - I think the Japanese name of the drama was "Lunch no Joou", was one of the first jdramas I've started out with.. and to this day, I can pull out and watch again and fall in love with Takeuchi Yuko (who has a minor role in the American TV show "Flashforward"!!)

6) Honey & Clover

7) Waraeru koi wa shitakunai special - "Don't want a laughable love" - This if I remember correctly was a christmas special a few years ago that SARS subbed. If you're looking for something super short (3 eps) that'll give you about an hour fix of jdrama-ddiction, this will probably be the one for you

Cheers, and keep the lists comin!

P.S. It would be great if we can have the mod or someone with first page thread posts to edit/re-edit their posts to have "great comedy/romance jdrama" listed. Thanks!

gljangel

Post by gljangel » Jun 3rd, '10, 07:24

Some that have made me laugh, cry and have throughly enjoyed - no order of preference or anything

Kimi wa Petto
Pride
Love Shuffle
Sapuri
Zettai Kureshi
Brother Beat

LaLaLaDRAMA

Post by LaLaLaDRAMA » Jun 3rd, '10, 07:50

Not really going by substance, but I guess I can name a few that I was honestly hooked to from the get go:

1) Love Generation (pretty old, but kimutaku and the main girl had major chemistry)
2) To Heart (very light, but full of drama. Watched it for Tsuyoshi Domoto--sooo cute in this drama. He has great chemistry with fukada kyoko. This was before his weight gain)
3) Hana Yori Dango (watched it like 20 times!!)
4) Hanazakari no Kimi tachi e (not a fan of horikita maki, but this was fun to watch)
5) Love Revolution ( I really liked this drama! Pretty old, but liked all the characters)

lulu19

Post by lulu19 » Jun 3rd, '10, 09:37

not in particular order:

-Yamato Nadeshiko
-Hotaru no Hikari (super funny :D )
-Nodame Cantabile
-Hana Kimi
-Zettai Kareshi

k361
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by k361 » Jun 3rd, '10, 11:41

chili01 wrote:
yanie wrote:1. Dekichatta Kekkon (Shotgun Marriage) - Takenouchi Yutaka, Hirosue Ryoko, Abe Hiroshi (2001)

where can I download or watch those? they are somewhat old so Im having trouble finding them
Omiai Kekkon was subbed by SARS
From Shotgun Wedding and Narita Rikon was a subbed batch torrent by jem. The jem torrents of the jdrama got lost on d-addicts, can be found at isohunt. http://isohunt.com/torrent_details/2989 ... ab=summary and http://isohunt.com/torrent_details/1278 ... ab=summary (you can find both as DDL at some livejournal communities).

Kazeyama

Post by Kazeyama » Jun 3rd, '10, 20:02

1. Hotaru no Hikari
2. Anego
3. Haken no Hinkaku
4. Koi no Chikara
5. Star no Koi

ryoko11

Post by ryoko11 » Jun 4th, '10, 23:02

1. Long Vacation (Most J-dramas seem to be primarily comedy with a little romance, but Long Vacation brings the romance. I think it's got plenty of comedy for the title "romantic comedy". It just deals with more subtle comedy instead of slapstick, cross dressing, and the other over the top stuff we often enjoy. The opening had me in stitches. First scenes are of a bride in full traditional attire as she runs full-tilt through the busy streets leaving everyone staring after her in surprise. After bounding up a series of stairs with her kimono nearly around her waist, she starts banging frantically on an apartment door and wakes the lone tenent. Sena opens the door to see a strange, frantic, out of breath bride staring back at him. Without a word he promptly closes the door in her face as though this must be a messed up dream and starts to head back to bed. It's shocking and hilarious for me even after watching the series multiple times, but it's not played over the top with exaggerated facial expressions and gimmicks. I love those too, but they aren't the only form of comedy. Long Vacation is solidly a romantic comedy without them, imo.)
2. Manhattan Love Story (crazy, funny, good. Just go with it.)
3. Kimi wa Petto (Oh the kisses! Found the ensemble quite funny too.)
4. Yama Onna Kabe Onna (Beyond the plethora of boob jokes stemming from Megumi's insecurities are some very lovable characters, and a couple of very nice potential OTPs.)
5. Hotaru no Hikari (Buchou! God, I can't wait for season 2!)

I also adored Nodame Cantabile, though I think it's lighter on the romance due to Chiaki's personality quirks. The comedic DV is rather like a Tom and Jerry cartoon, and it's pretty awesome. Yasuko to Kenji was also really enjoyable.

riki_kun

Post by riki_kun » Jun 6th, '10, 22:14

1. Hana Yori Dango
2. Buzzer Beat
3. Proposal Daisakusen
4. Hana Kimi
5. Densha Otoko

«minah»

Post by «minah» » Jun 7th, '10, 02:18

hm.... Not in any order

Anna-san no Omame
Stand Up!!
Celeb to Binbo
Nodame Cantabile

Out of all the dramas I've watched... I can only think of four favorite comedy/romance

tsurashi313

Post by tsurashi313 » Jun 7th, '10, 03:05

1. Nodame Cantabile
2. Yasuko to Kenji
3. Hana Yori Dango
4. Yukan Club
5. Buzzer Beat

I think some are more romantic than comedic and some are more comedic than romantic. Hanazakari no Kimi tachi e and Atashinchi no Danshi were some-what enjoyable as well.
A really good one that I'm not sure should be on the list is Ryusei no Kizuna. It has some humor in it throughout the drama. It's more on the mystery and dramatic side but there are some comedic reliefs in it that are fresh.

Soannie

Post by Soannie » Jun 12th, '10, 20:50

1) LONG VACATION.
Maybe a bit old, but still the best for me. Funny and touching.

2) ANEGO

3) SATORARE

4) HAKEN NO HINKAKU

5) ZETTAI KARESHI

MitsukaiKuroi

Post by MitsukaiKuroi » Jun 17th, '10, 03:06

I would have to say (in no particular order) :

Hana Yori Dango
Ohitorisama
Densha Otoko
Kimi wa Petto
Star no Koi

But other really great ones that I liked were :

Manhattan Love Story
Hotaru no Hikari

isuzu

Post by isuzu » Jun 21st, '10, 05:13

Romantic Comedy
Hana Yori Dango
Hana Kimi
Hotari no Hikari
Nodame Cantabile
My Boss My Hero

Comedy
Stand Up
GTO
Atashinchi no Danshi

Romantic
Pride

hsthompson

Post by hsthompson » Jun 22nd, '10, 23:57

My recommendations

1.- Long Vacation - Well written and acted characters, comedy is subtle, ending makes you go YES! It is one of the classic and it is not for naught.
(Not really a spoiler, more a curious aside: I think a good drinking game can be made with the product placements for this series... they might have gone a bit overboard... how many times can you spot the Konami logo?)
2.- Dekichatta Kekkon - Another classic. The main characters are charming and believable. However, Abe Hiroshi and Sonny Chiba show they can act, and between the two of them steal the show. Heartwarming, it doesn't have the obvious ending, and

3.- Densha Otoko - Proof that reality is sometimes stranger than fiction... Heavier on the comedy, but still a good rom-com. Misaki Itoh is just dreamy in this. She's very good at comedy, just not here (Yama Onna, Kabe Onna; Kiken no Aneki; Taiho Shichauzo are good examples). It is not needed, however, as everyone else makes up for it in spades.

4.- Manhattan Love Story - You'll need to make a diagram to keep track of all that's going on. In fact, it gets so topsy-turvy that the main character in the show fact HAS such a relationship diagram, and still has problems to keep up. It makes me want to make coffee and a Napolitan (which I can assure you, people in Naples would not recognize)

5.- Hanazakari no Kimitachi e - In a way, it is your quintessential high school love comedy. It has a small twist though. All characters are very likeable, even if some are a bit too quirky, and will reach you. It's not an acting, or production, or dialogue masterclass. But I'd say the whole is better than the sum of its parts.

Not sure where to classify those as rom-coms, but still recommended:

Kekkon Dekinai Otoko - Abe Hiroshi is awesome. Hell, everyone is very good in this show, no exceptions. Others have classified this as light on the romance. I'd say the romance is there, but it is very subtle. It has to be, because the guy Abe plays... has issues. Then again, who doesn't?

Himitsu no Hanazono - There is romance here, but the important part is the relationships between the brothers, all the little secrets and lies. Love conquers all, but can it fix it all?

101st Proposal - Not exactly a comedy, but it has very funny moments though. Humor not as understated as in Long Vacation. But the love story though...
Takeda Tetsuya is not good looking (1). You can see why he's been to 100 marriage meetings already without result. However, he's THE MAN. I won't spoil it for you, but I'll just say that my 3 favourite romantic scenes of all time are all in this series. So definitely recommended.

(1) Most probably only Spanish people will get this , he looks just like a Japanese version of El Fary, may he rest in peace. The saying goes: "You're uglier than El Fary sucking on lemons". If you do an image search you'll see what I mean...

forestmaiden71

Post by forestmaiden71 » Jun 23rd, '10, 07:33

I would have to say that the romantic comedy genre is my fav....but these are my 5 favs :P

1. Hana Yori Dango <- my first drama and my measuring stick to all others. Honestly, I think I could get anyone to watch Japanese Dramas if they watched HYD first :P Besides, who can resist Oguri Shun as Rui... ;)

2. Zettai Kureshi <- biggest tear jerker show ever. And it's still soo cute!

3. Kimi wa Petto <- Yeah, the idea is odd, but the show is way cute. You'll want a Momo after you watch it, I'm sure. I do :)

4. Hana Kimi <- this is going on here because it's a cute show and it did make me laugh. I thought the romance was much better between the underdog and the main chick then with Oguri Shun, but that's my opinion and besides the point :P

5. yamato nadeshiko shichi henge <- I know not that many people really liked this show, but I thought it was cute. The romance was fun and the show did make me laugh at times. Plus, it was just plain fun to watch :)

Those are my top five :)
Also, question...
Nodame Cantabile <- Romance? Really? I saw this online and it didn't describe it as a romance at all. In fact, the description made me not watch it. I'm thinking I may have to give it a chance after I saw it on so many lists here...

Razor.

Post by Razor. » Jun 24th, '10, 21:23

1. Gokusen
2. Zettai Kareshi
3. Boku Dake No Madona
4. First Kiss
5. My Boss My Hero

bean

Post by bean » Jul 4th, '10, 16:47

hehe
one pound gospel
tatta hitotsu no koi
proposal daikusen
nodamel contabile
1 liter of tears
ninkyo helper

nt actualy comedy or romance bt rather d drama i love, hehe.

20centuryboy

Post by 20centuryboy » Jul 5th, '10, 13:33

I 've found out a few drama i 've never noticed before in this topic. :)

browniethecat

Post by browniethecat » Jul 9th, '10, 11:48

For me, it's:
- Otomen (especially funny in my opinion :lol )
- Hana yori Dango
- Kimi wa Petto
- 1 Pound Gospel
also, less funny, but romantic: Yamato Nadeshiko Shichi Henge and Buzzer Beat

amuoOochan

Post by amuoOochan » Jul 11th, '10, 08:57

My top 4 list!! <33

1, Hana yori dango ( have read the manga!! Love the comedy/romance!! Funny chara!!! <33
2, koizora ( A very very sad love story!! ) <33
3, personal test ( Funny chara!! )
4, Zettai karenchi ( A robotboyfriend!! Ahahaha!!!

mewific

Post by mewific » Jul 11th, '10, 09:17

1. Hotaru no Hikari
2. Nodame Cantabile
3. Koi no Chikara
4. Hana Yori Dango
5. Around 40

blackstar

Post by blackstar » Jul 12th, '10, 10:54

mukodono (nagase tomoya & takeuchi yuko are so cute together)
orange days
dekichatta kekkon
love shuffle
proposal daisakusen sp

actually i still have more in mind.. hahaha

piousm

Post by piousm » Jul 17th, '10, 07:45

It's hard keeping it to 5, but these are the funniest romantic comedies that I can think of, rather than romantic dramas that have funny bits :
1. Hotaru no Hikari;
2. Proposal Daisakusen;
3. Otomen;
4. My Boss my Hero;
5. Ohitorisama.

If it was great romantic dramas with funny bits, i'd have another list easily.

12bucklemyshoe

Post by 12bucklemyshoe » Aug 10th, '10, 18:18

For me, Long Vacation is the best of all romance dramas.

Romantic Comedies:

1) Long Vacation
2) Cupid no Itazura. It might seem "cheap" but I love this drama.
3) Love & Fight (Koi wa Tatakai)
4) Love Shuffle
4) Anego

Romance (excluding rom-com):
1) Orange Days
2) Buzzer Beat
3) Tatta Hitotsu no Koi
4) Virgin Road
5) Slow Dance

el_canuck

Top 5 Japanese Romantic Comedies

Post by el_canuck » Aug 10th, '10, 20:17

I think some people think the question is comedic romances. then romance would be the main point (Long Vacation). The original question focuses on comedy, correct?

1. Nodame Cantabile-funny all of the way through with a little romance and great music.
One special and two movies following, says it all. The perfect show.

2. Maison Ikkoku 1&2-funny group of characters

3. Ohitorisama-cute and funny

4. Mukudomo 2003-funny and he wore a sweatshirt with my college's logo.

5. Last Christmas-another great cast of nutty characters

There are others of course, but the Japanese tend to do more school and police type than the Koreans.
If this question were asked of Kdrama, there would be a much bigger reply. I think.

ojouprincess

Post by ojouprincess » Aug 12th, '10, 06:56

1. hotaru no hikari (1&2)
2. hana yori dango (1&2)
3. my boss my hero
4. yamada taro monogatari
5. densha otoko (not the sp though)

nescafemath

Post by nescafemath » Aug 16th, '10, 12:23

in the more comedy point of view... :roll
1.my boss my hero - no need to be explain :lol
2.yamato nadeshiko shinci no henge -
3.tokyo dog - they argue about food at the crime place.. :argue:
4.mukodono! - all characters play their role nicely..expecially the baka couple :P
5.nodame cantabile - mukya!! :blink kyaa!! :goggle:

in romantic view...
1.mukodono! - lovely+loving each time yuichiro&sakura together & episode 8 was so :wub:
2.atashinci no danshi - mom+son :-)
3.hana yori dango - when domyoji that lost his memory suddenly remember makino was her gf. which is after she gave the same reaction as before when domyoji was ill.
4.futari - the wife takingcare of her paralize husband..so touching..
5.my boss my hero - makio didnt fight with the hoodlum because hikari hate yakuza :cry:

jubies33

Post by jubies33 » Sep 23rd, '10, 17:50

I haven't watched a ton of j dramas yet but these were the romantic/comedic ones that I liked so far

1)Nodame Cantabile- I thought this was so funny and the romance wasn't in your face but it was there and I found it very sweet

2)Orange days- not a comedy per se but had it's funny moments and a very good drama

3)Love shuffle- I loved all the characters, it was an entertaining drama with both comedy and romance

4) Hana yori dango- one of my first Japanese dramas and still love it

5)Buzzer Beat- not really comedy but had some sweet romantic moments and good overall

I also enjoyed Tatta Hitotsu no koi although this didn't have any comedy. It's a sweet romantic drama.

Sorvaseven

Post by Sorvaseven » Sep 23rd, '10, 18:17

1) Pride (Kimura Takuya)
2) Love Generation (Kimura Takuya)
3) Orange Days (Shibasaki Kou)
4) Last Christmas (Oda Yuji)
5) Long Love Letter (Tokiwa Takako)

These are pure romantic dramas :lol

bigsoccer

Re: Top 5 Japanese Romantic Comedies

Post by bigsoccer » Oct 17th, '10, 14:46

el_canuck wrote:
There are others of course, but the Japanese tend to do more school and police type than the Koreans.
If this question were asked of Kdrama, there would be a much bigger reply. I think.
Yeah. More variety in this genre from Kdrama.

p.s. This is an identical thread for Kdrama if you're interested.

Your top 5 romantic/comedy Kdrama
http://www.d-addicts.com/forum/viewtopic_85621.htm

ladymoi14

Post by ladymoi14 » Jan 4th, '12, 05:13

1. Beautiful Life
2. My Boss My Hero
3. Tatta Hitotsu No Koi
4. Nodame Cantabile
5. First Kiss

rootabega

Post by rootabega » Jan 4th, '12, 08:47

1. Manhattan Love Story
2. Manhattan Love Story
3. Manhattan Love Story
4. Manhattan Love Story
5. Manhattan Love Story

I guess you've caught my drift by now... :D

kitty10
Japan

Post by kitty10 » Jan 4th, '12, 09:18

Off the top of my head:

Love Revolution
Over Time (not a lot of comedy)
Hotaru no Hikari
Long Vacation
Koi no Chikara
Kekkon Dekinai Otoko
Slow Dance

(More than 5, but oh well...)

Yuling

Post by Yuling » Jan 9th, '12, 13:31

yanie wrote: Love Shuffle was okay, just not enough comedic moments.
:( I think Love Shuffle is underrated. I mean, it's not a super serious show, but it has some decent writing. Plus, I think Karina gives a good performance.

sunflower63

Post by sunflower63 » Apr 3rd, '12, 12:14

My top five are:

Hotaru no Hikari
Nodame Cantabile
Long Vacation
Ikemen Desu Ne
Love Generation

Divadive

Post by Divadive » Apr 23rd, '12, 12:35

May I?

1. Buzzer Beat
2. Hana kimi ikemen
3.Yamato Nadeshiko
4. Hana yori dango
5. Itazurana Kiss

Chrono

Post by Chrono » Apr 29th, '12, 14:12

I really miss the good romance / comedy jdramas like Nodame and so on.

I just feel there are too much police dramas lately. They should diversify more or else there'll be more and more people attached to korean dramas and less people watching jdramas.

Just my opinion. :-)

moraima

Post by moraima » Apr 29th, '12, 14:48

Some of my favourites:
Natsu no Koi wa Nijiiro ni Kagayaku
Zenkai Girl
Buzzer Beat
Kimi wa Petto
Orange Days
Boku dake no Madonna

j_halo7

Post by j_halo7 » May 3rd, '12, 11:05

These are mine.

Nodame Cantabile
Hotaru no Hikari
Boku Dake no Madonna
Oishii Proposal (Nobody seems to know about this drama...)
Otomen

EriKira

Post by EriKira » May 8th, '12, 10:45

1. Hana Yori Dango
2. Proposal daisakusen
3. Taiyou no Uta

I bet you will keep crying if you watch these :wub:

in2sky
Japan

Post by in2sky » May 16th, '12, 08:05

1 MY BOSS MY HERO
2 TOKKYU TANAKA 3 GO
3 DENSHA OTOKO
4 HIMITSU NO HANAZONO
5 YAMA ONNA KABE ONNA

Gaston

Post by Gaston » May 16th, '12, 12:07

Here is one that I am unsure if EVERYONE would categorize as RomCom but I do and doesn't seem like it has been mentioned: Ima, Ai ni Yukimasu.

1) Ima, Ai ni Yukimasu (not over the top but more like fish-out-of-water comedy)
2) Proposal Daisakusen (funny in a Back to The Future kind of way)
3) Last Christmas (only RomCom on this list that could really happen in real life)
4) Densha Otoko (zany funny but strangely still believable -- it could happen)
5) Hana Yori Dango / Nodame Cantabile / Zettai Kareshi (zany funny but unbelievable -- still romantic)

If you take away the need for LOL moments, Bara no Nai Hanaya would be up there.

sl0w

Post by sl0w » May 17th, '12, 23:01

Maybe i didn't read the 4 pages well enough but...

Hanazakari no Kimitachi e ?

Noone mentioned it? Maybe a bit too much comedy and less romance but that's a pure romantic/commedy drama!

«minah»

Post by «minah» » May 18th, '12, 14:03

rootabega wrote:1. Manhattan Love Story
2. Manhattan Love Story
3. Manhattan Love Story
4. Manhattan Love Story
5. Manhattan Love Story

I guess you've caught my drift by now... :D

I watched this about 2 months ago and... very upset that... very very few seem to rave about this AWESOME show!!! Omg I only checked it out because I was starting to get into Matsuoka and Kyoko and noticed Takashi was in it but omg... this drama is pure genius! Definitely on my list of top romance/comedy!!!

tarumpaw

Post by tarumpaw » May 27th, '12, 15:34

Hallelujah Chance

Yaaisan

Post by Yaaisan » May 27th, '12, 18:51

My list (note might not always end happily). Those that I can think of are these:

1. Hotaru no Hikari
2. Nagareboshi
3. Fuyu no Sakura
4. Around 40
5. Saigo kara Nibanme no Koi

Thanks for the recommendations that have be written previously. I'll try to give them a chance at some point. Any recommendation of good alternatives that features older than high school is always interesting.

doramaworld

My favourites

Post by doramaworld » May 31st, '12, 09:36

Can only think of the following at the moment...

Long Vacation (1996)
Love Revolution (2001)
Koi no Chikara (2002)
Hakusen Nagashi (1996)
Renai Hensachi (2002)

Coincidentally, they are all at least 10 years old! :O

Somehow, the romance stories these days don't pack as much of a punch to me like those in the 90s and early 2000s. I guess the most recent romance drama I enjoyed would have been Love Shuffle.

RetroHelix
Germany

Re: My favourites

Post by RetroHelix » May 31st, '12, 10:37

doramaworld wrote: Somehow, the romance stories these days don't pack as much of a punch to me like those in the 90s and early 2000s. I guess the most recent romance drama I enjoyed would have been Love Shuffle.
Word!

bean

Post by bean » Jul 14th, '12, 19:05

Pride
One pound gospel
Tatta hitotsu no koi
Buzzer beat
No dame contabella
Hotaru no hikari
The list can goes on and on hehe......

darji

Post by darji » Jul 14th, '12, 20:47

I want too^^

So romantic comedy huh?

1. Manhattan Love Story.
2 Star no Koi
3. Wedding Planner
4. Yamato Nadeshiko
5. Dekichatta Kekkon

Note these are great romantic comedy jdrama but not the best romantic dramaXD

Best romantic Jdrama: (I don't include the sad ones XD)

1. Long Vacation
2. Love Generation
3. Pride
4 Last Christmas
5. Wedding Planner (totally cheesy but sooooooooo good)

Hmm a bit Kimura heavy but its not my fault that he is always in the best jdrama XD

Ranggawuni

Post by Ranggawuni » Nov 29th, '14, 15:46

1. Boku to Star no 99 Nichi
2. Shiawase ni Narou yo
3. Juunen Saki mo Kimi ni Koishite
4. Love Shuffle
5. Dokushin Kizoku

el_canuck

Post by el_canuck » Nov 29th, '14, 22:42

I went back to the first page to see what I said back in 2010, the list has changed.

1. Nodame Cantabile
2. Kimi wa Petto
3. Maison Ikkoku
4. Priceless
5. Summer Nude
I still have not found anything that can top Nodame, nothing. If I see this again in four years, who knows.

am00339

Post by am00339 » Nov 29th, '14, 23:17

great topic ! arigatou !

around 40
anego
anna-san no omame
densha otoko
konkatsu

pondloso

Post by pondloso » Dec 19th, '14, 02:55

for me will be
1. Kekkon Dekinai Otoko
2. long vacation
3. 101st Marriage Proposal
4. Koi no Chikara
5. manhattan love story

well i love all in same amount

but if about pure romance

1.Aishiteiru
2. Kono yo no hate
3. Koukou Kyoushi
4. Beautiful Life
5.with.love

well i still love a lot more that can easy be in this 5 list

PinkyRibbon

Re: Your top 5 romantic/comedy JDrama

Post by PinkyRibbon » May 4th, '15, 04:42

1. Rich Man Poor Woman
2. Buzzer Beat
3. Shitsuren Chocolatier
4. Suppli
5. Last Cinderella

Ziza_prvni

Post by Ziza_prvni » May 4th, '15, 07:59

1. Nodame Cantabile
2. Love Shuffle
3. Date
4. Hotaru no Hikari
5. Dekichatta Kekkon

Beside that I really like Nagareboshi (pure romance, no comedy), school drama like Hana yori dango or Hana Kimi, crimi drama like Koori no sekai and so on. Most of dramas with Takenouchi Yutaka are fitting this category. :mrgreen:

JackBauer2424

Post by JackBauer2424 » Jun 6th, '15, 09:53

Long Vacation was good and had great music. CAGNET is awesome.

Tatta Hitotsu no Koi was poignant. So was Love Generation, which will turn on the water faucet multiple times.

JennySolln

Post by JennySolln » Jun 10th, '15, 17:47

1. Hana yori dango 1+2 (will always and forever be my favourite)
2. Kyo wa kaisha yasumimasu
3.Kimi wa petto
4.Zettai Kareshi
5. Yamato Nadeshiko