Which Kdramas are Underrated?

Discuss Korean drama series here.
TofuQueen

Post by TofuQueen » Feb 21st, '12, 08:45

Ethlenn wrote:Evasive Inquiry Agency - this drama kept me glued to the screen from the first to the last episode. No mushy mushy romance, but humor, action and few morons trying to solve the crimes. :mrgreen:
I agree 100% - this is one of my all-time favorite dramas, and yet I hardly ever see it mentioned. :wub:

amoozboosh

Post by amoozboosh » Feb 25th, '12, 05:09

"Worlds within" was very underrated I thought. The plot was interesting/novel and the pace never lagged and the actors were all all very good. And of course my current obsession, "Friend our Legend" which was not just underrated, but criminally so. A finer drama I have not seen. It was just riveting. Not at all the usual, run-of-the-mill kdrama fare from what I have seen, and maybe that and the fact that its a serious drama, account for the low ratings.

Shindou

Post by Shindou » Feb 25th, '12, 05:55

Soulmate is really underrated I think. It has a pretty decent plot and amusing characters to keep you entertained (http://shindou2006.blogspot.com/2012/01 ... eview.html) - its also more of a realistic romantic comedy as opposed to your poor girl meets rich boy drama
amoozboosh wrote:"Worlds within" was very underrated I thought. The plot was interesting/novel and the pace never lagged and the actors were all all very good. And of course my current obsession, "Friend our Legend" which was not just underrated, but criminally so. A finer drama I have not seen. It was just riveting. Not at all the usual, run-of-the-mill kdrama fare from what I have seen, and maybe that and the fact that its a serious drama, account for the low ratings.
I was curious about that one cuz of Hyun Bin and Song Hye Kyo - maybe i should take another look then

SSpiegel

Post by SSpiegel » Feb 25th, '12, 06:08

I don't know if anyone watched it, but I loved White Christmas. I mean, yes, it was utterly ridiculous and filled with (young and gorgeous) models, but I was on the edge of my seat the whole time. I swear, I was sh*tting my pants at least once in every episode. What it lacked in everything else, it compensated with a chilling atmosphere. Absolutely lovely!

ETA
I also enjoyed Jungle Fish 2 immensely. It is another drama filled with only young actors/actresses, not to mention two idols (T-ara's Park Ji Yeon and MBLAQ's Lee Joon), but it was soooo good. It was well acted (surprisingly, I loved Lee Joon in this!) and while the plot was of course an exaggerated chain of events, I thought it was touching and quite believable.
Last edited by SSpiegel on Feb 25th, '12, 14:46, edited 1 time in total.

Silverman

Post by Silverman » Feb 25th, '12, 11:44

Friend our Legend wasn't underrated. It was the one of the most hyped dramas of it's time.
Soulmate isn't underrated, because it's pretty much in every other list of favorite dramas and it was recommended many times.

amoozboosh

Post by amoozboosh » Feb 25th, '12, 16:51

Silverman wrote:Friend our Legend wasn't underrated. It was the one of the most hyped dramas of it's time.
Well, I ended up watching this series only because of a couple of very good blogs that I happened to read, and don't generally find this drama listed on very many threads and a lot of kdrama fans don't seem to to have watched this drama. Also the ratings were spectacularly low for a drama of this calibre (http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Friend,_Our_L ... de_Ratings) and therefore i believe, underrated.

Shindou

Post by Shindou » Feb 25th, '12, 18:33

Silverman wrote: Soulmate isn't underrated, because it's pretty much in every other list of favorite dramas and it was recommended many times.
Guess I must not be reading the right threads/blogs then - I usually dont see it on recommended lists I usually check out

Sajen16

Post by Sajen16 » Feb 25th, '12, 20:00

@SSpiegel

I enjoyed Jungle Fish 2 as well but as for the idol thing, Eugene, Sung Yu Ri, and Yoon Eun Hee are all former idols and in my opinion very good actresses so being an idol doesn't mean bad actor/actress as for Park Ji Yeon she is by far the best current generation idol actress

SSpiegel

Post by SSpiegel » Feb 25th, '12, 23:49

^ Of course not. Being an actual actor doesn't automatically make someone a good actor. I do think it's a matter of taste, too. For certain kind of dramas (serious, slice of life sort) I do prefer actual actors, as many idols don't have the chops to pull off more challenging roles. I don't judge beforehand, though, so everyone gets a shot in my eyes. If they are good, great, if not, I do tend to think it's not their actual profession anyway, so I can't expect them to be as good as actual actors who have received training and have gone to a theater school or whatever.
Sung Yu Ri, though... ouch! I find her unbearable. I guess even acting skills are in the eye of the beholder... :D

Neliets

Post by Neliets » Feb 26th, '12, 09:17

Shindou wrote:
Silverman wrote: Soulmate isn't underrated, because it's pretty much in every other list of favorite dramas and it was recommended many times.
Guess I must not be reading the right threads/blogs then - I usually dont see it on recommended lists I usually check out
Goong, My Girl, Soulmate etc are underrated? You don't see them that often on Recommendation thread these days, yes, but those dramas were a huge hit and something that basically started the whole K-wave(it started a bit earlier but those are just details).

And since Recommendation topic is very shy on actual recommending, I usually have to find new dramas myself. I just go and read the recommendation thread's earlier pages(like the ones that were written in 2008 or so). You should do that, too. And in 2006/7 Soulmate was recommended quite often, as far as I remember.

About actors - the problem with idol actors is that THEY ARE YOUNG. Idols = young lads. And there are pretty much no good roles for 18-24 year old. Just some dongsaeng of the main character or something. There are few exceptions, though.

About our beloved YEH, Eugene etc former idols - they've had so much experience in acting... And there is Eric, too, and OMFG... let's not even start to count former idols in acting.

Silverman

Post by Silverman » Feb 26th, '12, 10:34

The problem with some of idol-actors is, that they get too big roles too fast.

Shindou

Post by Shindou » Mar 14th, '12, 03:38

Neliets wrote: Goong, My Girl, Soulmate etc are underrated? You don't see them that often on Recommendation thread these days, yes, but those dramas were a huge hit and something that basically started the whole K-wave(it started a bit earlier but those are just details).
Goong and My Girl I entirely agree were big ratings hits and you'll find those in many recommendations lists/blogs. I just pointed out Soulmate as its ratings were not particularly high (hence underrated) and won none of the major baeksang awards.
Neliets wrote: And since Recommendation topic is very shy on actual recommending, I usually have to find new dramas myself. I just go and read the recommendation thread's earlier pages(like the ones that were written in 2008 or so). You should do that, too. And in 2006/7 Soulmate was recommended quite often, as far as I remember.
I'll certainly take a look although I generally don't find recommendations that match up that well to my preferences on that thread, hence I look more into blogs where, at least the ones I've seen, don't tend to recommend it much. Looking back to the early days of this thread, it looks like i'm not the first or only one who thinks Soulmate is undderated (probably for the same reason). :whistling:

On topic:
Mackerel Run - surprisingly fun despite the youth of most of the cast and Lee Byung Joon is hilarious (as i'm sure anyone who's seen Secret Garden can attest). Its certainly not weighty in terms of its plot but its certainly good fun
Last edited by Shindou on Mar 14th, '12, 03:54, edited 1 time in total.

el_canuck

Post by el_canuck » Mar 14th, '12, 03:47

Harvest Villa---scary, funny and romance
Goodbye Solo---just different and very good

Issy

Post by Issy » Mar 14th, '12, 03:54

el_canuck wrote:Harvest Villa---scary, funny and romance
Goodbye Solo---just different and very good
I finished Harvest Villa few weeks ago and I did not know that it was an under rated drama. But if it is, it totally does not deserve it. It's really good drama with lots of great characters, great acting and storyline. :thumleft:

el_canuck

Post by el_canuck » Mar 14th, '12, 20:21

Harvest Villa did not come from the big three networks (Tvn) and no talk about it on the web. I watched it because of Lee Bo Young and got lucky.
It aired on Friday nights March-May 2010 and Lee Bo Young also was in Birth of a Rich Man which aired on Mon-Tues March-May 2010.
A real Lee Bo Young feast.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Mar 15th, '12, 16:41

Then again lately Harvest Villa won a poll on korean portals "Cable drama worth every penny", and I remember reading rave reviews back then when it aired. So it's hardly an underrated drama. The fact that English-speaking world didn't watch it doesn't mean it's underrated.

thatonekoreanboy

Post by thatonekoreanboy » Apr 14th, '12, 17:54

I think Love Rain is a great drama! Very much underrated for it's Winter Sontata,ect.. like sappy story. I think Love Rain has it's own unique style and story that even though at the core is a simple story, it can stand on it's own merit has a whole. I think people just see it for the generic love story. But if you watch it and love stories are your kind of drama, I promise you will get hooked!

Silverman

Post by Silverman » Apr 15th, '12, 19:12

For me is the cause for not watching this drama, not the story, but the maincast^^. I think i'm the only male human being in the whole world, who doesn't like Im Yoon Ah.

seirin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by seirin » Apr 18th, '12, 22:23

Silverman wrote:For me is the cause for not watching this drama, not the story, but the maincast^^. I think i'm the only male human being in the whole world, who doesn't like Im Yoon Ah.
The song is pretty nice. The "love rain" song sang by Jang Geun Suk is pretty romantic.

Silverman

Post by Silverman » Apr 19th, '12, 20:25

I just think she is too young for the most roles she played, so that it was hard to "believe" . I mean with an age of 18-19 she played roles of women, who are the age of college-graduating. I mean it would be ok, if she looked older, but she looked her age or even younger. I had a hard time to take her seriously. It was like watching a 10year old acting all mature. Even if he is a good actor, it still doesn't fit if a 10 year old acts as a 18 year old. Sry for ranting.

seirin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by seirin » Apr 19th, '12, 23:56

Silverman wrote:I just think she is too young for the most roles she played, so that it was hard to "believe" . I mean with an age of 18-19 she played roles of women, who are the age of college-graduating. I mean it would be ok, if she looked older, but she looked her age or even younger. I had a hard time to take her seriously. It was like watching a 10year old acting all mature. Even if he is a good actor, it still doesn't fit if a 10 year old acts as a 18 year old. Sry for ranting.
I don't know her real age but she doesn't play college graduate in the drama. In the 1970's she was in second year college. So she's playing around 20-21 yr old. In 2012, she's in forth yr college but didn't graduate before she went back to Korea. That brings her to around 22 yr old. It's not too far off from her real age if she's 18-19 yrs old. As for her acting skills, I think it was okay. She acted pretty innocent and mature in the 1970's role. But she was spunky and childish in 2012. I don't know why she keeps pouting with her mouth O_o

JGS's character in 1970's was quite different than his portrayal for 2012. His character was pretty wimpy and shy but cute. I found it cute how he ran to the library to look for an umbrella and found a broken one but he used it anyhow to help her get home. He got wet because he was trying to keep her dry.

In contrast his 2012 character was arrogant and selfish. He kept himself dry and let her get partly wet because he felt he was more important :lol

The sweet song is from the 1970's couple
On a rainy evening, I saw her
I saw her, whom I’ve been waiting for since long ago

I told her, who was without an umbrella
Come under my umbrella

Drizzle drizzle, the sound of the rain
Rub dub rub dub, my trembling heart
Drizzle drizzle, rub dub rub dub
The sound on the umbrella, the sound of the rain, the sound of my heart
Love rain is falling

The two of us walked the rainy streets
Under the small umbrella, my shoulder got wet

She shyly told me
Come a little bit closer

Softly, our shoulders touch
Softly softly, rub dub rub dub
The two shoulders underneath the umbrella, the shy shoulders
Love rain is falling

I have fallen in love

Drizzle drizzle, the sound of the rain
Drizzle drizzle, rub dub rub dub
The sound on the umbrella, the sound of the rain, the sound of my heart
Love rain is falling

I love rain I love you

Silverman

Post by Silverman » Apr 20th, '12, 08:11

seirin wrote:
Silverman wrote:I just think she is too young for the most roles she played, so that it was hard to "believe" . I mean with an age of 18-19 she played roles of women, who are the age of college-graduating. I mean it would be ok, if she looked older, but she looked her age or even younger. I had a hard time to take her seriously. It was like watching a 10year old acting all mature. Even if he is a good actor, it still doesn't fit if a 10 year old acts as a 18 year old. Sry for ranting.
I don't know her real age but she doesn't play college graduate in the drama. In the 1970's she was in second year college. So she's playing around 20-21 yr old. In 2012, she's in forth yr college but didn't graduate before she went back to Korea. That brings her to around 22 yr old. It's not too far off from her real age if she's 18-19 yrs old. As for her acting skills, I think it was okay. She acted pretty innocent and mature in the 1970's role. But she was spunky and childish in 2012. I don't know why she keeps pouting with her mouth O_o
Ok here fits the age, since she is 22 now. But i watched her in You are my destiny and Cinderella man first. There she was 17 and 18, but played a 24-26 old woman. It's especially awkward, if her partner are 10-15 years older than she in rl and they say, the< are almost the same age in the drama. But like i said i'm just ranting.

changmi1218

Post by changmi1218 » Apr 20th, '12, 19:11

Last edited by changmi1218 on Nov 30th, '12, 02:40, edited 1 time in total.

airboy

Post by airboy » Apr 20th, '12, 21:24

changmi1218 wrote:Who Are You most underrated drama ever! I think its because the drama didn't get enough or the right promotion... such a shame.
I have this one on "My too see list"
changmi1218 wrote: The Vineyard Man (so refreshing since it was set in the countryside, instead of the city like most dramas)
Couple or Trouble
Yes, The Vineyard Man was realy nice to watch, even if it was a bit slow now and then.
Couple or Trouble was one of my first kdramas i watch, still a favorit.

Silverman

Post by Silverman » Apr 21st, '12, 01:57

Snow White is one of these dramas, which i couldn't finish. I tried it...3 times! I wanted to give this drama a chance, because i kinda like the actress who plays the female lead. But i couldn't get over the fact, that they try to sell an actual good looking woman as a monster and they tried it by giving her geek-glasses and sportswear and let her overact the geek part...its just too...needy.

leighluv

Post by leighluv » May 1st, '12, 02:59

Has anyone mentioned Thorn Birds....I loved that one. I think i finished that drama in 2 days. I couldn't stop watching it. So good!

konayuki92

Post by konayuki92 » Aug 18th, '12, 20:06

I just finished watching "The World That They Live In" or worlds within.
http://wiki.d-addicts.com/The_World_That_They_Live_In

I really really liked, I've never seen anyone talking about it and I got it from a friend.
It has Hyun Bin and Song Hye Kyo as the main characters and many many lovely side characters. Its about directors and cameramen and ADs and actors and screenwriters. And it has a really good feeling to it. Its relaxed and funny in an adult kind of way not the comedy in stuff like Dream High or Full House (not that I have anything against that type of comedy). It has a lot of human emotions in it, and it goes through the ups and downs of a relationship, which is another thing I liked; that the couple is formed fairly early on in the story. I love the chemistry between them too.
I really recommend it!

creidesca
Fansubber
Fansubber
United States of America

Post by creidesca » Aug 18th, '12, 21:11

leighluv wrote:Has anyone mentioned Thorn Birds....I loved that one. I think i finished that drama in 2 days. I couldn't stop watching it. So good!
One of my favorites!

analovedrama

For Sure...

Post by analovedrama » Sep 27th, '12, 03:18

PADAM PADAM. For sure!

best script, amazing acting and photography.

Hitokiri_Johndoesai

Post by Hitokiri_Johndoesai » Oct 3rd, '12, 17:52

Ruler of Your Own World is definitely underrated. It has a incredible cast and well written realistic plot. It was hard to find, but it's my all time favorite K-Drama, even it's been more than 5 years since I watched it. If you find it, definitely give it a chance.

9 End 2 Outs is another underrated great K-Drama. It's similar to "Ruler of Your Own World" in the way it embraces reality. No cheesy comedy, no love triangles or squares, no debts, no illnesses. It's a "Human Drama".

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Oct 3rd, '12, 18:21

I don't think ROYOW is that underrated. It's on every "recommended" list and I remember very, very rave reviews, also by our own aNToK. It's a brilliant drama, to just add.

However, I have to agree on 9 End 2 Outs, this drama is really nicely written and acted. It reminded me that real life doesn't always goes as we want, in a way... I'm not a baseball fan, so it scared me at the beginning, but baseball is not the biggest factor here, also it has Soo Ae who is awesome^^

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Oct 3rd, '12, 18:50

Loved 9 Ends 2 Outs. Details were good and filled in all the backstories so well. Loved the actual relationship between the two leads. Just a good drama and so enjoyable.Don't know why it was not written up more and publicised by the producers. should have been a big hit.

Not a fan of ROYOW. Did not make me thrilled at all. something to do with members of the cast I think.

Thoroughly enjoyed 'Worlds within' Liked all the cast senior and junior. I really loved the secondary love affair between the two second leads. He was pretty attractive and has done well since. Probably the most appealing role for Hyun Bin by the way.

There is a Japanese film that I wish could be shown again all over. It is 'the Lightning Tree'. I have watched it without subs but would love to see it with English subs.
Not sure if this went unrecognised but it deserves an audience.

Hitokiri_Johndoesai

Post by Hitokiri_Johndoesai » Oct 3rd, '12, 18:52

I just remembered "Thank You". It's a very warm and realistic human drama, but not everyone likes it because of it's slow pace and becaus it has almost no twist and turns. Maybe it's because too few people actually heard about it.

soulstar

Post by soulstar » Nov 8th, '12, 05:35

soulmate - I know it's been said, but definitely belongs on this list. It's so well done.
Bad Family - It has a heartwarming story, great characters, and was acted well. It just doesn't seem to get the credit it deserved.
Hello my teacher - Gong yoo and gong hyo jin were terrific in this! If it's not on your top 10, it should, at least, get an honorable mention. It just seems no one ever mentions this one.
Ruler of your own world - It's been said here and I couldn't agree more, so underrated. People complain about pacing and other things, but the story was so well done. It definitely should be mentioned more.

soulstar

Post by soulstar » Nov 8th, '12, 05:53

Ethlenn wrote:I don't think ROYOW is that underrated. It's on every "recommended" list and I remember very, very rave reviews, also by our own aNToK. It's a brilliant drama, to just add.

However, I have to agree on 9 End 2 Outs, this drama is really nicely written and acted.
I rarely see royow mentioned. Besides here and a few select blogs most people seem to either not know of it or skip over it.
I agree with you, 9 ends 2 outs was a good drama. Enjoyed that one a lot.

soulstar

Post by soulstar » Nov 8th, '12, 06:02

AsianDramazzz9 wrote:Who are you (2008)
Agreed! I can't believe I forgot about this one. The story was well done and it was so funny. Surprising it doesn't get mentioned more often.

airboy

Post by airboy » Nov 8th, '12, 16:56

soulstar wrote: Bad Family - It has a heartwarming story, great characters, and was acted well. It just doesn't seem to get the credit it deserved.
Hello my teacher - Gong yoo and gong hyo jin were terrific in this! If it's not on your top 10, it should, at least, get an honorable mention. It just seems no one ever mentions this one.
I agree on those two, i also liked them. Bad Family made me a fan of Nam Sang Mi and Hello my teacher was one of my first korean dramas.

Eun-ju Lee

Post by Eun-ju Lee » May 2nd, '14, 17:50

Phoenix
Fantasy Couple
Women of The Sun

airboy

Post by airboy » May 4th, '14, 08:10

Eun-ju Lee wrote:Phoenix
Fantasy Couple
Women of The Sun
Fantasy Couple was one of the first Kdramas I watched and I liked it, I also think it's a bit underrated. But sometimes it hard to know the difference between underrated and the fact that the drama is getting a bit old. With the development of Width Screen and HD it's not strange that people don't watch older dramas so much.