[Discussion] Saigo Kara Nibanme no Koi

Discuss Japanese drama series here.
GaussAlgorithmus

[Discussion] Saigo Kara Nibanme no Koi

Post by GaussAlgorithmus » Feb 6th, '12, 18:06

From the former ancient capital, Kamakura comes a mature but bittersweet love story. Yoshino Chiaki is a 45 year old TV drama producer at a television network station. As she grows older, she becomes more concerned about her health and retirement rather than a romantic relationship with someone she loves. The dream life she imagined upon joining her company seems far away and no longer reachable. Will things change if she took a break from her routine life? Such questions lead her to Kamakura, where she searches for an antique house to settle in. This is where she meets Nagakura Wahei, a 50 year old man working for the city office. Wahei was separated from his wife by death, a heartbroken lonely single man with one child.

Chiaki and Wahei are drawn to each other as they learn more and more about each other. However, Wahei's family gets in the couple's way with obstacles. Wahei's brother, Nagakura Shinpei being the first. Shinpei is carefree and somewhat lacking in luck, despite his good looking appearance. He courts Chiaki, creating a triangle relationship between the three characters. Wahei's sister, Mizutani Noriko is on the verge of a family breakdown, constantly nagging at those around her. She dislikes Chiaki for being in the same age range, with differing opinions about life. The other sister, an introvert who lacks connection with society and its standards, probes Chiaki's feelings in attempt to expose her inner self. Facing the challenges of interacting with each unique member of the family, Chiaki and Wahei together try to overcome them to attain a long-standing happiness. -- Fuji TV
DramaWiki entry
Official site
English subtitle, HD and SD made by Heiwa Fansubs

GaussAlgorithmus

Post by GaussAlgorithmus » Feb 6th, '12, 18:52

So, I just opened a thread for this one because no one else did. I really hope, this doesn't mean I'm the only one watching this, because this would be sad. Why? Because to me this drama somehow turns out to be my most favourite in this this quarter.

I don't want to write that much about it, because I don't know if anyone will even read it, lol. ;)

I just finished the forth episode, and I like this drama more and more. Let me sum up my thoughts about the first four episodes:
1) The location
I really do like the location of this drama...basically, I'm always happy if a dorama does not take place in Toyko. Not that I don't like Toyko but...it's always Tokyo! I know, it's the most important city in Japan, I know. But "only" about 35 Million Japanese are living there, the other ~90 million simply don't. [Technically, Kanagawa even is in the greater Tokyo area]. I like the old houses, I like the scenery (well, what you can see of it), and though I don'T know, if they really shot it in Kanagawa, I like the "on screen" Kanagawa. It feels like a smaller, rural town, and that's nice and simply different.

2) The setting
The setting is a little bit different from many other dramas, it's just so..."normal", but in a good kind of way. I find it hard, to say more about this...so I just leave it with the words: I like it. ;)

3) The characters and story
The characters are the best thing about this drama. I really, really like them. To me, (maybe others think differently about this) most of them feel pretty real somehow, and if they don't, it's because there is something we still don't know about them:
- The daughter with her bad (?) relationship to her father. Is it just because she has no mother anymore? Is it because of beginning puberty? Is it because the father did something? I don't know andI hope, that we'll get to know more about her.
- The younger brother that wants to "make all woman happy" who seems to have some sort of medical problem? At first I thought, he might be just a gigolo, who likes to have fun and please the ladies, but I'm pretty sure (well, it's a drama, so: surprise! ;) ) that the "mystery" about him will be lifted soon.
- Chiaki is the "typically" mid 40s woman, no children, not married, no relationship but good at her job . She may have the money and the career but still she isn'T happy with that. A nice contrast, because often in doramas such "career" woman are depicted in a "they got it all" sort of way, which means they also got their totally awesome love life, or they "don't need men and love". She is different, and I like that.
And my favourite character: Wahei.
Wahei is such an appealing character to me. He's just such a normal guy, lol. I think, he is really easy to realte to: He has got problems with his daughter, with whom he can'T really connect. He has to look out for his family, because he was "the father" to all his silblings since they were young. He has a simple job in the city office but still seems to like it, maybe because he likes his town. He is the "can't say no" type of guy, who is always concerned about everything and just can't turn anything or anyone down. I loved the scene in episode 4 when he sayd "What am I doing?", because I think everyone has been at such a point in ones life.

I also LOVE the chemistry between Wahei and Chiaki, this oscillating between awkwardness, fighting and feeling like "friends". I simply like to see those two on screen.
Up till now, I simply like this drama. It has a lighthearted "feel good" atmosphere to it, and I can't wait for the next episode [Thanks to Heiwa for subbing!]. The end titles even amplify this feeling, because the black and white photos just look like directly beeing taken out of a photo album.

At this point, I'm still wondering if I turn out beeing the only one here watching this drama. I hope, others have given (or will give) this one a try. :-)

lunas

Post by lunas » Feb 6th, '12, 20:09

GaussAlgorithmus: haha you're not the only one watching this drama.

one of my reasons for watching this drama are similar to your, the setting/location of this drama...not in tokyo...available english sub from Heiwa Fansub (Thank you for subbing)...Another reason is Nakai Kiichi, I usually doesn't care abt older actor unless I follow their career from early on (like Oda Yuji from Tokyo Love Story 'til now). There is something abt the way Nakai Kiichi played Wahai make it interesting to watch and made me like abt his acting.

I haven't watch ep. 4 yet, but I was wondering where is this drama lead to too...but so far I'm tuning in to every ep.

antspace

Post by antspace » Feb 6th, '12, 21:05

Yes, this turns out to be a very fun slice of lifey series.
Both this and Shokuzai have Koizumi Kyoko in it, and they're both very interesting :-) She sure knows how to pick her scripts. I first saw her in Survive style 5+ and thought she was the best thing in it, although the rest of the cast is HOT! Then Suika, one of my favorite series of all time. She's in Hanging garden, Adrift in Tokyo, Tokyo Sonata, and Kaasan, Mom's life. Jeez so many good movies :thumleft:
Last edited by antspace on Feb 6th, '12, 21:06, edited 1 time in total.

iLLusiOnEr

Post by iLLusiOnEr » Feb 6th, '12, 21:05

Yeah..I'm watching this too.Not a truly must-watch but its a pretty pleasant and enjoyable drama.

I think my first works of Nakai Kiichi that I watched was 'Kaze no Garden'. He won Best Actor for that. Looking from his profile, he is quite common in NHK's Taiga too.

Now heading to my 4th ep.

antspace

Post by antspace » Feb 6th, '12, 21:07

Mmm... I liked Kaze no Garden too.

«minah»

Post by «minah» » Feb 7th, '12, 05:19

I'm not super crazy about this drama but... that insert song sounds soooooo nice lol!!! I really wonder who is the artist (the River song and the other one) I love Ayu of course (one of my favorite singers) but I'm exactly feeling feeling "How Beautiful You Are." but if the PV is nice it might change my mind... (though I'm more psyched for her other songs/new album than anything ^^)

sensei991
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by sensei991 » Feb 7th, '12, 05:41

Thanks for setting up this topic. This is my current favorite jdrama. I really like the characters and the dialogue. Koizumi Kyoko is great and carries the show in my opinion. And Nakai Kiichi has a knack for comedy, a trait hidden in recent things like Taira no Kiyomori and 99 Nen no Koi, although I probably should have expected it because of his early role with Koizumi in Mada Koi no Hajimarenai.

SkNnK is also interesting because of Chiaki's involvement in the drama within the drama. The incorporation of her "funky" experiences into her work drama provides a wonderful 'dramatic' touch.

I thought the 3rd episode was hilarious and I'm looking forward to watching the next episode.

Edit: regarding the insert songs, trasuachieumua and ZemusDS indicated in the Subtitles Topics that they are by Yael Naim (Go to the River and Far, Far).

«minah»

Post by «minah» » Feb 7th, '12, 05:56

^
Ah thanks! I download the hard ones so I haven't read the sub thread of it

antspace

Post by antspace » Feb 13th, '12, 21:22

Just when I felt the series was losing some edge, there was the scene in ep 5 with Chiaki's friends talking about Wahei.
They were so very vicious... I had to laugh out really loud
:D

GaussAlgorithmus

Post by GaussAlgorithmus » Feb 14th, '12, 02:38

I just finished the fifth episode, and I really enjoyed it.
- The awkward breakfast with her statement "you need someone boring like him" made me laught
- I loved the part when Ohashi said "there's seomeone I have to happen to mee by chance". This sentence alone made me laugh, and I like how Wahei reacted: At first just his deleayed, confused look, because it took some time until he realised, waht she was saying. When he left the building, I liked hos suspicious and nearly frightened he checked everything out and then was totally surprised when she jumped out of the bush, lol.
- The dialoge between the Omia colleage and wahei was pretty funny
- Ohashis reaction when the colleage told Wahei about the Omiai was just priceless [Heiwa subs time 21:32 (lol at her face) - 21:40]
- The conversation between Wahei and chiaki on their way back home from the station had a real nice feeling to it. I like the chemistry between the actors and the characters
- The beginning of the excursion was my favourite part in the episode. I just love how Chiakis two friend first meet Wahei and then Ohashi, and Waheis face when he saw Chiaki. I really felt was he was feeling when he said "this is the worst". :D Also, the behaviour of chiaki and her two friends is SO typically for woman in the age between 45 and 55. I've made dozens of experiences that woman in this age-span really can get extremely childish and hard to bear when they're in a group, its horrible. So I really felt sorry for Wahei.
- Later, when they were at the Nakamura restaurant and Chiakis friends were telling Ohashi about "old men", I was convulsed with laughter because of Waheis reactions
Over all, I really enjoyed this episode, it made me laught so many times. Besides the scenes I pointed out in the spoiler, the overall episode again gave me this feeling of reality: Chiaki and her friends, Wahei, Ohashi...they all seem so real to me, and I love how they interact and react with each other as much, as I like the whole atmosphere. The series simply manages to make me laught, leaves me with a good feeling and makes me looking forward to the next episode. This is one of the dorams, which I would probably watch in one go if I had all the episodes.
The only sad thing is: I have to wat 7 days till the next episode. :(

7-go

Post by 7-go » Feb 14th, '12, 11:09

so far this is my favorite dorama this season that really enjoy, Hungry! being the 2nd place. I really enjoy the awkwardness.. never failed to get me on the edge of my seat. This is the real charms of the series.. Sigh.. I'm in bliss already. Can't really figure out how the story ends though. Hopefully not the average dorama ending.

ps790

Post by ps790 » Feb 15th, '12, 15:35

Minah asked about the identiy of the "Go to the River" song. That is explained in the credits at the end of each episode. You can find multiple versions on Youtube, although the official music video is dreadful, the video that is - the song itself is great.

It is great that there is a version without subtitles. So I'm sure many people will be watching this simply for the language. The language and terminology is interesting and very much Hyoujungo, and the complex interactions between characters means that there is always something left to be resolved in the following episode(s).

Finally, the uploaded version is a nicely compressed MP4, so those of us who are bandwidth limited can enjoy this drama.

GaussAlgorithmus

Post by GaussAlgorithmus » Feb 26th, '12, 03:14

I really liked the last episodes
- The interactions between Wahei and Chiaki in the restaurant were great. I liked the fast pace of their dialogues.
- Waheis reaction, when he heared, that his daughter also joined the others at Chiakis house
- Ohashi was cute as always ;)
- I loved it, when Ohashi literally dragged Wahei to the restaurant from before and he replied with at "I figured it would be this one" ore something like that, lol.
- The waiter seems to recognize him, nice touch, especially Waheis face
- At the end, they really gave a cliffhanger with the explanation of the illness
With every episode I like the Wahei character and especially how the actor portrays him more and more. They really casted the right person for this role.

arakira
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by arakira » Feb 26th, '12, 14:06

Only just noticed there's a topic for this series - this drama should get much more attention. Took me a while to get really into it but now I'm dying to see ep 8 while wishing this would go on for at least 20 eps. By far the best winter drama imo.

I'm totally in love with the characters and the setting. I'm a fan of Nakai especially in awkward roles and he and Koizumi are like a perfect cast. Love their bickering and shily growing closer ;)
Funnily enough there's no character that does really annoy me, even the minor roles feel real and necessary (loving chiaki's friends and Wahei's colleagues and family) and the drama balances nicely between comedy and slice of life. Finally a jdrama where the characters feel real and warm again.
Haha or maybe I'm growing old, I enjoy a story bout people in their 40ies with their peculiarities and old hurts and complexes etc much more than a cliched romance flick bout college love.
Only negative point is watching these women smoke and drink I can't help missing a cigarette to go with my wine^^

Another big plus is the different styles of language they use, good study material ;))

OH and cause we mentioned Yael Naim, I've been a fan of hers ever since I heard the first tunes of her song New Soul. Almost fell from my chair when I heard her songs here. =)

Avalokita

Post by Avalokita » Feb 26th, '12, 19:48

arakira wrote:Haha or maybe I'm growing old, I enjoy a story bout people in their 40ies with their peculiarities and old hurts and complexes etc much more than a cliched romance flick bout college love.
I feel the same. Especially high school dramas seem less and less interesting each passing year.

lunas

Post by lunas » Feb 26th, '12, 20:59

Same with me here, surprising this is my fav series so far. there are so funny part, esp. around Wahei :)

GaussAlgorithmus

Post by GaussAlgorithmus » Feb 26th, '12, 21:42

arakira wrote:I'm totally in love with the characters and the setting. I'm a fan of Nakai especially in awkward roles and he and Koizumi are like a perfect cast. Love their bickering and shily growing closer ;)
I agree, it's really nicely done and seems really "real". btw.: the word "bickering" showed me again, how huge the difference between my active and passive vocabulary is. *sigh*
arakira wrote: Finally a jdrama where the characters feel real and warm again.
Haha or maybe I'm growing old, I enjoy a story bout people in their 40ies with their peculiarities and old hurts and complexes etc much more than a cliched romance flick bout college love.
I know what you mean. I think it's maybe because I get older, but I can't connect to the "High School love" anymore, simply because I often think "You're just 18....the chance of this beeing the love of your live is quite low...don't make such a drama about it". It gets better, when its about college romances, but both of these themes have been done over and over again.
But this "middle age love" feels like a fresh breeze because its a more uncommon theme. That is quite interesting because I'm sure, that in real live it is quite a big deal: There are more then enough middle aged men and woman who have lost their partner (death/divorce) and live alone.
I think it's much harder in this age to fall in love again and find a partner: The looks have faded, you're more "bitter" about love and it is not that "magical" thing anymore it was before when you're young, you're simply not that naaive anymore because of your experiences. When you're older, you usually don't go out that often anymore, so the chance to meet a potential partner are even more lowered. In addition to that, you're probably looking for something different in a relationship then before.
Personally I think, they captured this scenario quite well in this drama.
For example Wahei and Ohashi: Ohashi is very young and to me it's not entirerly clear what she sees in Wahei. Does she really like him "as a man"? Or is she simply looking after a fatherly figure? After all, she seems quite naive (still cute ;)) when it comes to her love. Wahei on the other hand is more experienced. He doesn't fall for the "young, good looking woman" just because of, well, her beeing young and good looking. He deems to have no interest in her, because he probably searches for someone, he can connect to. He simply has different "goals" in a relationship and is probably not thinking about having a relationship again at all.
I'm really looking forward to the next episodes and I'm curious about how they will end this.

antspace

Post by antspace » Feb 27th, '12, 16:13

Episode 7 was sooo good 8)
The explanation about Shinpei's illness was first hesitantly funny, then touching, then just when I was teary eyed, Chiaki took it to Wahei san and I almost fell out of my chair laughing as all the women attacked him. Emotional roller coaster much :-) There's such an interesting range of characters, from Mariko to Wahei to Noriko. It gives a very rich feeling to this story.

GaussAlgorithmus

Post by GaussAlgorithmus » Feb 27th, '12, 21:23

I agree, episode 7 was excellent. I can't remember when I laughed so hard because of a Jdrama.
- The explanation about Shinpei's illness was great. I liked how they managed it, that the scene went from funny, to serious, to touching and then back to funny. Well done.
- The moment in which Ohashi showed up at his home was great, as was his try to make her wait outside the house, lol. Poor Ohashi, erika doesn't seem to like her.
- The extremely awkward situation in the taxi between Wahei and Ohasi was just great. It's one of those situations where it's really the best to shut up because...it's hard to give an response, lol.
- Poor Waheis calm, "alone drining evening" got ruined by his brother in law, lol.
- I loves, how Wahaei and the cabaret girls respnonded, after the old man told them the story of the "two timing Wahei", lol
- The scene and the dialogue between Wahei and Chiaki in the bar was epic. I'n not joking here, I think it was one of the best dialgues and one of the best played ones I've ever seen in a Jdrama. I just loved, how Wahei started slowly but totally fired up and talked himself in some kind of rage. Really, really well done.
- Wahei on a date with Ohashi, lol. I knew, that there would be some "father - daughter mixup moment".
I am wondering about Mariko...she
really seems to be in love with Chiaki, which is interesting. I wonder how this will turn out..but I'm wondering this about everyone. I'm really looking forward to how they will finish this up.
I've got a question regarding the preview at the end of episode 7
Can someone tell me, what Ohashi said that made Wahei spit out his drink? I totally didn't expect this and had to laught so hard...now I'm curious what she was saying. :-)

arakira
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by arakira » Mar 3rd, '12, 20:20

GaussAlgorithmus wrote:...
I am wondering about Mariko...she
really seems to be in love with Chiaki, which is interesting. I wonder how this will turn out..but I'm wondering this about everyone. I'm really looking forward to how they will finish this up.
I've got a question regarding the preview at the end of episode 7
Can someone tell me, what Ohashi said that made Wahei spit out his drink? I totally didn't expect this and had to laught so hard...now I'm curious what she was saying. :-)
Ahh darn I can't wait for ep 9 now. Lol the end of 8 almost made me spill my drink...and the preview leaves me thinking we're in for some nice misunderstanding between Wahei and Chiaki. :mrgreen: Kkk I'm totally rooting for them, they're a perfect match

Oh and about the end of ep 7.
She says "then please turn into a lolicon" as in somebody who likes young girls - their date scene was fun. Poor ohashi-san I'm starting to feel sorry for her. She deserves a cute guy about her age...
and I'm also feeling sorry for angel-kun and that makes me fear about the end of the drama I'm praying for a happy end and not a typical j-drama 'nobody gets what they really want cause morals won't let it happen.
Mariko I really wonder...what's the point of her character and what will she do now...especially since Shinpei's seen it. LOL somehow I wanna see her all freak out and create some serious chaos

shioki

Post by shioki » Mar 4th, '12, 16:19

It's been a long time since I watched something I don't mind watching over and over again. It's funny and sometimes serious without being over the top. I especially love the bickering btw Chiaki and Wahei, and Noriko's laughter.

I went rewatching the last few eps and realised that Mariko
started falling for Chiaki when Noriko started her laughing session at Chiaki's. I'm glad she didn't freak out and go hikikomori after the kiss.

The mistaken kiss in ep9 is gonna be interesting.

zettaiKaren

Post by zettaiKaren » Mar 11th, '12, 19:53

Just when I thought the series is loosing steam, ep. 09 is, IMHO, one of the best episode in any JDrama series I've watched in a long time. From the script to dialog, pacing, editing, acting, comedic timing, and even the camera work, every aspect is as close to perfection as I can imagine. :clap:

arakira
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by arakira » Mar 12th, '12, 00:53

zettaiKaren wrote:Just when I thought the series is loosing steam, ep. 09 is, IMHO, one of the best episode in any JDrama series I've watched in a long time. From the script to dialog, pacing, editing, acting, comedic timing, and even the camera work, every aspect is as close to perfection as I can imagine. :clap:
I totally agree with everything you wrote! Feel like rewatching the episode right away.
Lol and Kyonkyon's almost too perfect in her role, feels like she could be exactly like that in real life, too :lol

psdstns

Post by psdstns » Mar 12th, '12, 03:06

GaussAlgorithmus Thank you very much for this page that you made. I think this drama is very hilarious and
script is very subtle. I love this drama very much.

GaussAlgorithmus

Post by GaussAlgorithmus » Mar 13th, '12, 04:10

I did some "location spotting" in Kamakura via google maps. Maybe some of you guy want to go where they filmed the drama if you happen to have the chance. I think I would do this, if I visit Kamakura. :p

First: Timecodes are for the Heiwa Fansubs HD Version. They may differ a bit for other versions.
Second: Just copy the numbers and head to Google MAPS. There you paste them at the top where you can enter adresses and hit enter. Do this, if you want (:p) or if the pics don't work. Use the aerial view or Streetview (the little yellow guy on the side).
Third: WARNING, the pictures in my links MAY CONTAIN SMALL SPOILERS, so be warned.
Let's start:

The Kamakura city office: 35.31948,139.547925
They really filmed in front of the actual city office.

Episode 5, timecode 20:42: The bush on the left.
Episode 6, timecode 38:15: The building can be seen in the background.
Episode 6, timecode 38:27: The bush on the left.

Compare these scenes with the google pictures:
Kamakura Office, Streetview
Kamakura Office, aerial view

The Train Station: 35.309227,139.528896
Well, it even has a wikipedia entry and the name of it is clearly visible in the dorama, so it was quite easy to find.

Episode 7, timecode 10:53 The entrance even has the name on it. ;)

Compare:
Station, Streetview

The place at the beach, visited by Wahei several times: 35.309658,139.536554

Episode 8, timecode 11:00: Look at the blue sheds on the left.
Episode 8, timecode 11:15: The oddly shaped roof in the background.
Episode 5, timecode 03:03: The house in the background, behind the daughter.

Compare:
The blue shed, Streetvies
The oddly shaped roof, Streetview
The background house, Streetview
All the above, Streetview

The small railway crossing they pass, right before they reach their houses and their homes: 35.310747,139.533164

Episode 6, timecode 14:27: The shrine in the background, the railway track and the stairs in the foreground.
Episode 6, timecode 14:45: look at the poles from the power line on the right, and at the small roof on the left.

Compare:
The crossing, Photo.
The crossing, their homes, the pole, the small roof, aerial view

Just two funny things:
a) Why are they always comming from the shrine? According to the map, the railway crossing is the only way to the shrine.
b) Why are they using Gokurakuji Station? Hase Station is much closer.

And yes, I know that they're doing this because of dramatical reasons or simlply aesthetics. Hase Station is not nearly as picturesque as Gokurakuji Station.

Still, I think it'S great, that they actually used real locations for the shoot that are quite close together, end besides always going onw station too far, it all adds up. :)

nodramas

My after-work Thursday treat - Saigo Kara Nibanme no Koi

Post by nodramas » Mar 15th, '12, 09:48

Lovely to find a thread about this fabulous drama. - I too was wondering if anyone else out there was watching it.

Koizumi Kyoko and Nakai Kiichi are like a modern-day Katherine Hepburn and Spencer Tracy - I really wish I could understand Japanese, to better appreciate the Showa-Heian banter.

The drama's official description doesn't do it justice - it's complex and witty and kind. Thanks Heiwa Subs for choosing to translate such a terrific show.

GaussAlgorithmus

Post by GaussAlgorithmus » Mar 19th, '12, 20:31

OMG! I never waited for a final episode of a dorama as bad as I am now. I really, really want to know, where all this ends.

I hope
that Chiaki and Wahei and Ohashi and Shinpei become the "final pairing". I think Ohashi and Shinpei really fit each other, they're also quite funny when they're quarreling. Wahei and Chiaki would be one of the best couples I've ever seen if they become one, and I really hope that
But
I have the ba feeling, that this won't happen. I don't know, but somehow it gives me the feeling it wont end that way. I guess, that Shinpei and Ohashi reallywill get together, but that Chiaki and Wahai will stay seperated. I fear, it will end with a "even if you're old, you don't need a new love as long as you've good friends" or something like that. It wouldn't be the first drama that was good but good ruined a bit (or a lot) by the ending...

sensei991
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by sensei991 » Mar 21st, '12, 02:36

Thanks to GaussAlgorithmus for the location-spotting tour of the Kamakura sites important to Saigo kara. It was fun. I also had tried to look for some of these site with Google maps but hadn't taken it to that extent.

While fooling around with this I found a YouTube video of a visit to Goryo Jinja, the shrine across the Enoden tracks from the cafe and house. I'm guessing that the video was made in May since the shrine seems to have an abundance of blooming ajisai (hydrangea). The soundtrack is filled with nostalgic sounds of Japan: clanging of the crossing bell, the train going by, the ubiquitous crows and the iguisu (nightingale) in the shrine grounds. I've seen the Great Buddha and Hasedera but this all makes me want to go visit Kamakura again to see this shrine and other sites in the drama.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ta0bWVrgoAA

Note added: Like others, I'm extremely anxious to see how this drama ends!
2nd note: Using Google maps and directions, it looks like Chiaki's commute from Gokurokuji Station to Daiba (where many of the tv companies are located) would take about 1hr 30 min and ¥1300 each way.

arakira
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by arakira » Mar 26th, '12, 10:33

Finally managed to watch the finale and basically all there's to say is PERFECT! :wub:

This show is a real gem and I already know I'll watch this over and over again.
Ofc I had some issues with it but they're all minor things about minor characters. Really appreciate the ending, the last dialogue made me laugh and cry at the same time...so glad they managed to stay in tune with the mood throughout the drama.

GaussAlgorithmus

Post by GaussAlgorithmus » Mar 26th, '12, 17:36

Hm, if I'm honest, I didn't like the ending that much.
I think it's nice, that they showed Shinpei and Tomomi sowly getting closer, that was really well done. But I didn't like the ending between Chaiki and Wahei...somehow it doesn't feel like a real ending to me. Her "I like you" wasn't really enought to make me satisfied. But at least it's not so bad, that it ruins the drama for me. Still, I'm not really happy either, which is twice as dissapointing because the show was one of the best Ive seen in a long time.
I pray for a special. :p

sensei991
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by sensei991 » Mar 26th, '12, 20:19

I really enjoyed this dorama. It’s now firmly ensconced in my group of all-time favorites, and I’ll recommend it to my friends.

I have the feeling that a large number of the fans of this show (including me) think of themselves as being somewhat more mature than the fans of, say, Hungry! or Renai NEET. It’s not that we aren’t amused or moved by these other doramas, but we appreciate the screenwriter’s ironic insights into life and drama as voiced in the final episode by Chiaki and her two friends Shoko and Keiko and translated nicely by Heiwa as follows.
Shoko: Well, we who enjoy a romantic comedy with 45 year-old leads are in the minority, aren't we?

Keiko: That's true. I'm sure that young people would say they weren't interested or that it would be painful to watch, right?

Chiaki: Yeah. I suppose. When we were young, if there was one about a love between 40 or 50 year-olds, we would have thought, "give me a break already."

Shoko: True.

Chiaki: I want to apologize for who I was in the past. I take it back.

GaussAlgorithmus

Post by GaussAlgorithmus » Mar 26th, '12, 22:34

That was truely a great moment. :D

DarkWarrior

Post by DarkWarrior » Mar 26th, '12, 23:25

Just finished this drama, and what a delight it was! I haven't enjoyed a drama so much in ages. This is definitely one my all-times favorites, right next to Kekkon Dekinai Otoko.

I must be getting old too, because 5 years ago I would've been all over other dramas this season (like Hungry!). Anyways, huge thanks to Heiwa subs for their very timely releases.

sleepysleepy

Post by sleepysleepy » Mar 27th, '12, 12:34

Unlike most people on this thread, I actually just started watching this drama (I started last weekend; I just finished ep05 right now). I can't recall why and what led me to watch it, and I am hating myself for not discovering this drama earlier. I think it's my favorite jdrama this season, and I didn't even watch it during the season itself.

Everything from the setting to the dialogue to the music is just great, and I didn't expect it to be quite funny (okay, "quite" is an understatement, since a number of scenes did make me LOL). I find the story unique and so unlike the typical, cliché high school/youth/whatever romance dramas that seem to be so commonplace nowadays. It's wise and witty, and as previous posters said, very real. It's not like in high school dramas, where everything is so idealistic and unrealistic.

Anyway, I'm very much looking forward to the next episodes. I'm currently on summer break so I'll probably be able to finish it tomorrow or the day after that.

sleepysleepy

Post by sleepysleepy » Mar 28th, '12, 18:16

GaussAlgorithmus wrote:Hm, if I'm honest, I didn't like the ending that much.
I think it's nice, that they showed Shinpei and Tomomi sowly getting closer, that was really well done. But I didn't like the ending between Chaiki and Wahei...somehow it doesn't feel like a real ending to me. Her "I like you" wasn't really enought to make me satisfied. But at least it's not so bad, that it ruins the drama for me. Still, I'm not really happy either, which is twice as dissapointing because the show was one of the best Ive seen in a long time.
I pray for a special. :p
sensei991 wrote:I really enjoyed this dorama. It’s now firmly ensconced in my group of all-time favorites, and I’ll recommend it to my friends.

I have the feeling that a large number of the fans of this show (including me) think of themselves as being somewhat more mature than the fans of, say, Hungry! or Renai NEET. It’s not that we aren’t amused or moved by these other doramas, but we appreciate the screenwriter’s ironic insights into life and drama as voiced in the final episode by Chiaki and her two friends Shoko and Keiko and translated nicely by Heiwa as follows.
Shoko: Well, we who enjoy a romantic comedy with 45 year-old leads are in the minority, aren't we?

Keiko: That's true. I'm sure that young people would say they weren't interested or that it would be painful to watch, right?

Chiaki: Yeah. I suppose. When we were young, if there was one about a love between 40 or 50 year-olds, we would have thought, "give me a break already."

Shoko: True.

Chiaki: I want to apologize for who I was in the past. I take it back.
My thoughts exactly.

...and yes, I just finished the drama. I think I watched over half of it today. It was beautiful; I highly recommend it, too.

sunflower63

Post by sunflower63 » Apr 3rd, '12, 10:19

I also enjoyed this drama very much indeed. I was surprised that there were older actors than usual but this was very pleasant and the two main actors had perfect chemistry amongst them. The story was very easygoing and I enjoyed the setting in the small town on the seaside and the many family scenes. I have to admit that I was a little disappointed with the ending as I would have liked more romance between the two leading actors.

WildMuffins

Insert Songs

Post by WildMuffins » May 6th, '12, 16:46

Thanks so much for this info - I love Go to the River - especially now that I know the artist and title!

Edit: regarding the insert songs, trasuachieumua and ZemusDS indicated in the Subtitles Topics that they are by Yael Naim (Go to the River and Far, Far).[/quote]

kirtil
Turkey

Post by kirtil » May 7th, '12, 08:01

I liked the ending. It was neither cliffhanger-y and calling for a special to complete the story nor everything tightly wrapped up as to say: here you go, you dont need to think anymore everything is all good. now go watch another.

Like kekkon dekinai otoko, this ending was completely in sync(sp?) woth the mood and the flow of the drama.

my only unfulfilled expectation was this:
I was waiting for someone to tell Shinpei and Tomomi: dude you've been whining "I want to fight/banter with my partner like you two do". Wake up and smell the roses, you already have someone in your life like that.

Only not this crude.. more romance-comedy like.

ZemusDS

Post by ZemusDS » Sep 21st, '12, 07:18

Guys, it has been announced that Saigo Kara Nibanme no Koi will return this fall with a special episode.
http://www.fujitv.co.jp/fujitv/news/pub ... -i116.html

sensei991
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by sensei991 » Sep 21st, '12, 18:14

Yatta!

ZemusDS

Post by ZemusDS » Oct 11th, '12, 06:31

Broadcast date is 2012-Nov-02, from 21:00~. Can't wait to watch this!

7-go

Post by 7-go » Oct 14th, '12, 10:39

I knew the ending sucks.. but of course there will be specials! ;) but seriously I love this drama very much.

reminds me of Proposal Daisakusen. <-- also with bad endings but catered perfectly in specials.

Hope they'll wrap up the endings better and tied loose end with special.

GaussAlgorithmus

Post by GaussAlgorithmus » Oct 18th, '12, 23:59

Omg, Special! I pray, taht someone will sub this!

ZemusDS

Post by ZemusDS » Feb 17th, '14, 21:47

Good news for fans of the series. There is a sequel this spring season. Starting in April, Zoku Saigo Kara Nibanme no Koi. :clap:

@Twitter
「最後から二番目の恋」ファンの皆様!お待たせしました!!
4月よりフジテレビ系 にて、毎週木曜日22時より、木曜劇場『続・最後から二番目の恋』の放送が始まります〜!!

GaussAlgorithmus

Post by GaussAlgorithmus » Mar 26th, '14, 15:51

I've totally forgotten about this thread, even if opened it in the past. Shame on me!

Of course I've hear about the sequel...and I'm SO excited! I think I haven't been that excited for a drama since...probably ever! I really, really hope, that the second season will be able to keep up with the first one. Sequels always have the danger of being just a rehash. But I think the scriptwriter and the director are both quite decent. So I still have a lot of hope. :)

Hopefully, Heiwa will sup this once again.

PS: I can't wait for this one to start...I'm really brimmed with excitement!

ZemusDS

Post by ZemusDS » Mar 26th, '14, 16:10

I feel your excitement. The first episode is going to be fun, they did some filming in France (Paris and Nice to be exact). Three more weeks to go!

GaussAlgorithmus

Post by GaussAlgorithmus » Mar 26th, '14, 17:29

I haven't seen these image yet. Still three more weeks. This is going to be hard for me!

ZemusDS

Post by ZemusDS » Apr 14th, '14, 15:19

Three weeks has now turned into three days. And I just checked the Fansub Map, Heiwa announced they will sub it. :)

antspace

Post by antspace » Apr 14th, '14, 16:48

Yay! Heiwa=Quality :-) Looking forward to it much!

GaussAlgorithmus

Post by GaussAlgorithmus » Apr 21st, '14, 11:06

Hm, Heiwa just realeased the first episode of "Silent Poor". I wonder if they are really going to sub Zoku Saigo Kara Nibanme no Koi. :unsure: I hope they will!

ZemusDS

Post by ZemusDS » Apr 21st, '14, 11:19

Do not worry about it, it will be out when ready. Heiwa is very reliable fansub group. :) In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if it was released today or tomorrow.

For reference, first season episodes were always released on Mondays it seems.

KeiserSoze

Post by KeiserSoze » Apr 26th, '14, 15:38

Just watched the 1st ep of Zoku Saigo Kara Nibanme no Koi !!!
Still so good. Good writing, great actors, excellent OST :alcoholic:
Can't wait for next ep.

GaussAlgorithmus

Post by GaussAlgorithmus » Apr 26th, '14, 18:40

I finally found the time to watch the first episode. And, to make it short: I'm very, VERY pleased! More deatils in the spoiler tag, I'll make it short
- I liked the first part of Wahei and Chiaki going to the wedding planner(?). Simply because the harmony between those two gave the illusion, they are the ones that are going to marry. But as their quarrel began and got worse and worse, it became clear "nope, that's not it". To me, this was very well written.

- The boys mother is just as awkard as Wahei! I'm really looking forward to what will happen between those two. I generally liked the meeting between those two. The awkwardness is so overwhelming, but without beeing cringeworthy. That is a hard thing to do imho. Many "awkward" scene become so awkward, that they are cringeworthy and I just want to look away. But this here is a cute kind of awkwardness.
I simply like, how Wahei arrives totally awkwardly with his plumber...and later the mother arraived, as awkward as him, with her banana box hitting her head on his plumber. (That...sounds more dirty than it should....) Great scene!

- Erinas monologue directed to her father. She just sounded SO MUCH like him! And I loved her reaction, when her uncle mentioned that, lol!

- Wahei in Nice! The moment I saw him in his typically Japanese business suit, with his thick, heavy parker-like jacket, I totally cracked up. He looks so ridiculously out of place, with the ocean, the sun and people in T-shirts in the background. And Chiakis light summer dress as a contrast amplified this "out of placeness" even more. And the great thing about this is, that it fits so well with Waheis character.

- Wahei and Chiaki chemistry is, again, great. I simply LVOE to see these two together. The hole drinking part in Nice was well written and so well executed, that it felt quite normal to me. I guess these two are my favourite couple and I'm not able to recall, when I saw another pair of actors that had such a good onscreen chemistry.

- Wahei and the gravure-magazin in the konbini. Again the Wahei awkwardness that I like. I simply love his character, I really like the actor.
This all makes the first episode a very good start and I'm looking forward to the rest. If they can keep the quality at that level...kudos to them!

ailahai

Post by ailahai » Apr 27th, '14, 06:00

do you listen to ending song?? both Koizumi Kyoko and Nakai Kiichi singing it... suteki

sensei991
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by sensei991 » Jun 24th, '14, 01:47

I think that I like Season 2 even better than Season 1. And it is such a relief to be able to watch something so pleasant after viewing Mozu and Border.

GaussAlgorithmus

Post by GaussAlgorithmus » Jul 18th, '14, 05:42

I'll make it short:

I loved the second season. I also liked the ending, even though
I prefer "clearer" endings. The one we got was quite vage, but because beeing "mada mada funky" just fits the show, I'm ok with it.

The good:
- Story in a whole
- Chiaki and Wahei are just so nice to see together. The chemistry between the actors is just SO good!
- Wahei must be one of the most likeble characters characters I'Ve seen in a drama
- I just LOVE the attention to detail in this drama. The locations, the chamara angles, the backgrounds, everything has such nice details. A simple example are the cell phones: "modern" Chiaki uses a smartphone, "oldskool" "showa" Wahei has still an old flip-phone. A nice little tough in my eyes.

The bad:
- I think they should'Ve made more out of Hasegawa Kyokos role. Besides "Let's be sex buddies" there wasn't much about her...and because of that, her role feels too much like a filler.
- Our Angles disease was hardly mentioned. It was such a big part in the first season, but in the second? Hm...

The hopes:
- I hope for another, final special. Pretty plzplzplzplzplzplzplzplzplzplz. ;)
All in all: If one likes the first season, one will like the second. If the the first wasn't your thing, keep away from the second.

celticmoon

Post by celticmoon » Aug 14th, '14, 23:47

The second season was good, but I liked the first better. I'm fine with the vague ending, but I agree that I'd like something clearer.

I'd be down for another season/special.