[Discussion] Kaseifu no Mita (Matsushima Nanako)

Discuss Japanese drama series here.
gerardo

Post by gerardo » Dec 23rd, '11, 03:14

Personally, I felt the ending was great. Having another season or a movie would spoil the whole thing. Really great drama this!

«minah»

Post by «minah» » Dec 23rd, '11, 04:37

Finally watched it!!! (YAAAAAAY!!!)
I think this was the perfect ending. To be honest, I feel as though the work order for her to smile... was just the same as the work order for her to kill herself a few orders back but this time, I think she wanted to smile after all that has happened but was probably hard for her to do it on her own... (and well.... kinda in the end... her smile brought sadness in a way >_>) But I felt as though she really wanted to smile and was happy for the work order (plus she was sincerely crying) I wonder if the message could be... the one thing that make us human besides emotions, tears, etc is a smile...? The 'smile' was the important thing in this series.... But I think it showed viewers how there are people out there who are just.... too sad to smile or feel as though they never can. I think it's good that Mita didn't change 180 (would really be outta character) but showed growth just like everyone else in the series. The smile scene just poured out all the growth each family member experienced.

The Urara scene.. I liked how that went. To teach the children that no matter what, your mom can't be replaced (no matter how many times the Dad gets remarried) She knows this better than anyone else (her son & husband can't be replaced obviously) Even if it is Urara but she's obviously an important member of their family since even though she crushed on Hiroki, she still firmed cared for the kids ^^ I just loved how it was really in the end to help Urara and not become like her. Urara still has hope.. Mita well.... I guess to her, it's too late (and I'm glad the show didn't shun that or anything... Mita still has to live on being Mita. Like she said, she can't forget the feelings of her husband & son) She just has to little by little, find her own way...

I just like how everyone... grew in this finale. I didn't mean to make this post long but I guess I did ^^;; I also loved how it still had the comedy (the dude falling down lol) and also the moments where we can tell Mita deeply cares for the family (singing that song alone... to where everyone is waiting) But I really enjoyed this... You can just feel the heavy emotions everywhere from everyone ^^ (and Love the Boss!!!!!!)
A sequel would be unnecessary but I am interested in the family that's living there lol

A show about how everyone's actions, maturity & experience is helping everyone else around them ^^

-edit]
Just wanted to add I just love how this show brought up issues that.. well.... I won't say are taboo.. but exist that never really gets light shed on too much.

bluegie

Post by bluegie » Dec 23rd, '11, 07:02

I just watched it today and I think the ending was ok, no disappointment, but everything's predictable. I kinda like how they did with Mita/Urara scene, that Mita told Urara to embrace everything with smile and do not become another Mita (who couldn't smile).

It's a bit rush for Mita's departure tho. They should do something to give a more valid reason for her to leave , rather than saying that she had to move to okinawa with Arumi san. I was a bit "huh" while watching her leave with a reason like that... And Arumi had to open a new store in okinawa because the building was too old? Couldn't she find a newer building in the same city?

But anywayz, it seemed like Azuda family didn't need Mita anymore besides housework. When they met Keiichi's ex-gf, Mita san was about to say something but Keiichi talked first. When they met the neighbour obaasan, she was about to talk, then again Keiichi spoke first. They looked mentally healthy to go on themselves. I do hope that Mita would stay in Azuda forever, become part of the family. Some kaseifus do work in same places for their whole lives, so Mita could stay there as a kaseifu. Being a kaseifu doesn't mean she is not part of the family.

I agree with minah on Mita's smiling part. What Mita said is true. She could (and would) not forget her husband and son. They would be with her forever as a memory. It would be hard for her to release the sad and bitter memory all of the sudden. So if the writer made her smiled happily from her heart, I would feel weird.
So, this is the end of Mita... Ahh I've been chasing her since week 1 and I feel a bit lonely without Mita san and the kids. I don't wanna see a sequel or movie tho... This is the perfect place to end the drama. Doing more will totally ruin the reputation of this drama :P.

PS:
I really wanna say... After watching the drama, I wish the producer didn't use Kutsuna Shiori as Yui. I dun hate her, but her acting sucks compared to the other kids (esp Kakeru chan). She can't cry at all...

GaussAlgorithmus

Post by GaussAlgorithmus » Dec 23rd, '11, 10:11

While I said this before:
GaussAlgorithmus wrote:If the spoilerered ending is true, it would be an epic nosedive for me...

I have to correct me. I really, really liked the ending.
The Good
+ The ending in general is really satisfying. Urara is a part of the family. She will probably never be their mother, but does she really have to be? As long as she can help the children and the children like her, it's not the honorific/title that's important, but the feeling. Just because she isn't the childrens mother, that doesn't mean she can't love them or they can't love her. I think taht the childran have finally understood, that Urara, despite beeing annoying sometimes, reall likes them and will always be there for them.
+ To me, it's great tha Mita didn't end up with the Father. It woudl've been WAY to cliché for the show. I mean, in a normal 0815 (is there something like that in the English language? I don'T know, it means something like "very normal" "not outstanding" "totally standard" "not special") rom-com dorama, with a (maybe at first unliked) houskeeper that grows on the people and ends up as the new mother, it would've been ok. But this series wa way to serious for something like that.
+ I really like how Mita from the moment she became their mother tried to be as bad as possible.
+ The general message "It doesn't matter if you have a mother or a father, as long as you have people who like you and are always there for you, it's ok. It doesn't matter, how you might call them" is a good one, I think.

The bad:
- The scene at the table, when Mita was smiling while everyone was crying: That was a little bit too much for me.

The noteworthy:
I LOVED the scene, in which Uraras ditches husband simply nuked the wedding and eloped wit hthe bride. That was so hillarious! I simply love how he said: "But watching you, I mustered the courage!", stromed into the wedding and eloped with the bride. Uraras face when she said "No way" was just sooo brilliant. A truly great moment. :D
After all, the series was a great watch with little flaws. I still give it 8/10.

bluegie

Post by bluegie » Dec 23rd, '11, 11:07

The table scene is not bad, except it's a bit too long. It's ok to see the camera focused on Mita + one member each time. But I feel it's unnecessary to repeat that sequence again. Oh the worst part is that... Well I was moved by every member (esp the two boys), but Yui ruined the mood somehow. Seeing the actress trying so hard to squeezed out 0% tear was a turn off point for me.. (LOL)

«minah»

Post by «minah» » Dec 23rd, '11, 14:47

bluegie wrote:
I just watched it today and I think the ending was ok, no disappointment, but everything's predictable. I kinda like how they did with Mita/Urara scene, that Mita told Urara to embrace everything with smile and do not become another Mita (who couldn't smile).

It's a bit rush for Mita's departure tho. They should do something to give a more valid reason for her to leave , rather than saying that she had to move to okinawa with Arumi san. I was a bit "huh" while watching her leave with a reason like that... And Arumi had to open a new store in okinawa because the building was too old? Couldn't she find a newer building in the same city?
[/spoiler]
But it's weird though because later the boss said "did you really have to leave their place? I'm just moving to in the city because the building's old..." I think... Mita lied ^^; and the Boss went along with it. Since the family doesn't need her really and Mita herself is already there at that point where she probably can't make a new family nor wants to..., she may felt as though it was best to leave and pretend she was going far away? That's kinda how I got from it. (because the last scene.. I don't think she's in Okinawa....?) But now she can be a housekeeper just to be one and not just simply live as an emotionless shell a small step at a time.

Oh yeah I forgot to add... though I don't like Aibu (and um....... hm.. seeing her get slapped >____>) But! I was kinda bothered that in the end.... she has to take all the bad luck of the family... that's a bit effed up isn't? "No Urara we need you because you take the bad luck for us instead!!!" I dunno that's messed ^^;;

GaussAlgorithmus

Post by GaussAlgorithmus » Dec 23rd, '11, 16:22

bluegie wrote:
The table scene is not bad, except it's a bit too long. It's ok to see the camera focused on Mita + one member each time. But I feel it's unnecessary to repeat that sequence again.
That is what I meant. The scene itself is ok, but it's just too long for my taste.
«minah» wrote:
But it's weird though because later the boss said "did you really have to leave their place? I'm just moving to in the city because the building's old..." I think... Mita lied ^^; and the Boss went along with it. Since the family doesn't need her really and Mita herself is already there at that point where she probably can't make a new family nor wants to..., she may felt as though it was best to leave and pretend she was going far away? That's kinda how I got from it. (because the last scene.. I don't think she's in Okinawa....?) But now she can be a housekeeper just to be one and not just simply live as an emotionless shell a small step at a time.

Oh yeah I forgot to add... though I don't like Aibu (and um....... hm.. seeing her get slapped >____>) But! I was kinda bothered that in the end.... she has to take all the bad luck of the family... that's a bit effed up isn't? "No Urara we need you because you take the bad luck for us instead!!!" I dunno that's messed ^^;;
I think, Mita just made up the excuse with Okinawa and her boss tagged along with the story, because the last scene didn't look much like Okinawa.

Well, "bad luck" is nothing she "can take" like "you pay for all our bills!". I think of it more like this: When she is around with her bad luck, the bad luck of the other family members will seem just not worth mentioning in comparison. They will feel "less unlucky" because they see someone who has way more bad luck, then theyself.

antspace

Post by antspace » Dec 23rd, '11, 16:43

I think episode 10 was hard to top. Still, I liked the ending except for two points
Like many of you I thought the table scene was to long. Matsushima Nanako was great in it though. Totally convincing! The other thing is that they let go of the supernatural entirely. I hoped to see Mita san vanish into smoke as she walked out of their lives
Great series as a whole though :-)

yanie
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by yanie » Dec 23rd, '11, 21:46

Why does everyone think she eventually moves to Okinawa? I haven't watch the subs, so I don't know how it was translated.

But this is what Harumi said:
引っ越すのはさ 私のあの家がねっ 建物が古くなったから 都内に移るだけの話よ?

都内 means "in the (same) city".

Just as someone mentioned before, Harumi is only moving in to another place still in the same city. Mita lied to the family abt Okinawa^^

subie06
Fansubber
Fansubber
United States of America

Post by subie06 » Dec 23rd, '11, 22:19

Sorry, everyone. I guess my translation wasn't too good. I translated "to the city," but I should've probably have said "within the city." One of those things that was clear in my mind, but to others it wasn't. I will note it on the subtitles thread and fix the sub.

685 I'm just moving within the city because
686 that building's getting old, you know.

fujitak

Post by fujitak » Dec 23rd, '11, 22:26

Man, it's the first drama were nanako smiles only in the last episode.
I hope that productors will run the drama for another final episode like SP.

bluegie

Post by bluegie » Dec 23rd, '11, 22:27

oh...
So they still live in the same city then... :P Thanks for the clarification :D.

Yeah at least they live in the same city :). Probly one day Mita-san will work for them again... (my hope)

Issy

Post by Issy » Dec 24th, '11, 02:00

so I had to watch the last and I am really glad that I did. maybe next time I won't read spoilers? :P
I really liked the whole final ep. it was well balanced. and oh my god, I am such a crybaby. I could not stop my tears. I thought that best scene was the table scene where she faked her smile at first because she was ordered to do so but later on and with each kid heartfelt little speech (even though was a little bit dramatic) it turn into her beautiful genuine smile and her soft voice tone. it did not stay forced.
so glad that ended this way. if you think about it, Asuda family are not on their own anymore. they have urura and grandfather next to them. but It obviously be even more perfect with Mita in the family and I think she will be back some day as she took Kii's pebble with her and that means that she belongs to that family and one day it will back to that box.
and the funniest scene goes to when the dad was in hospital and Mita put her hand on his. the look on his face was to die for. and so glad that he did not show any signs of jumping with joy as he saw the ex was totally indifferent to her.

a Perfect ending.

seirin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by seirin » Dec 24th, '11, 18:09

Actually, I would like an SP to show Mita going back to visit the family when the kids grow up. They promised to see each other again.

«minah»

Post by «minah» » Dec 24th, '11, 21:39

^
Y'know, that would be nice ^^ I think if any SP/movie gets made it has to revolve around the kids (they're like... the best in the whole show honestly ^^) Their chemistry is really nice and Kii tops it all lol

bluegie

Post by bluegie » Dec 24th, '11, 22:30

Isn't Mita san the best in the drama..? :P lol. But I agree that the kids are doing great in the drama (except Yui...). I think Kakeru has the best acting, and Kaito and Kii are very good as well.

yanie
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by yanie » Dec 24th, '11, 22:43

First time I saw Kutsuna Shiori was in "Mei-chan no Shitsuji' and I liked her alot, she was cute. But the more I see her, the more I realized she's not good in serious roles and emotional scenes. I don't like the way she speak too. I wonder if the fact that English was her first language affected her articulations in speaking Japanese. (she was born and raised in Australia until 13-14) Her tone when speaking just sounds weird for me.

Carsuke

Post by Carsuke » Dec 24th, '11, 22:44

To me, Kakeru is constantly overracting ... I think the best if definitely Kii.

mezoomozaa

Post by mezoomozaa » Dec 25th, '11, 05:28

the last 3 episodes changed my opinion a little about Nanako , she did great job :thumleft:
but still not 100% convincing me !
IMO , No blame at all on Nanako , but Mita role doesn't fit her

Kii and the father are still the only prize winners in this series , for their acting in the early episodes [not the late , they joined the 2 brothers on the sideline :-( , I don't know what is their role in this series ? and why 2 brothers not 1 for example ?! ]

the acting of older daughter is good , the older son's is bad , the younger son's is accepted
I like Urara chan character all the way

when I compare it to Classroom's Queen [ I can't get this comparison out of my head ! ]

Kaseifu no mita : 8/10 [ and most of this 8 is for the early episodes ]
Jyoou no Kyoushitsu : 9.5/10 :thumright:

Matsushima Nanako 7/10
Amami Yuki 10/10

Honda Miyu [Kii] is the superstar of this series :wub:

yuko ishii

Re: [Discussion] Kaseifu no Mita (Matsushima Nanako)

Post by yuko ishii » Dec 25th, '11, 05:45

yanie wrote:Image

Title: 家政婦のミタ / Kaseifu no Mita / Mita, The Housekeeper
Broadcast network: NTV
Broadcast period: 2011-Oct-12 start
Air time: Wednesday 22:00
Theme song: Yasashiku Naritai by Saito Kazuyoshi
Screenwriter: Yukawa Kazuhiko

Ep1 Rating: 19.5%

Starring:

Matsushima Nanako as Mita Akari (the housekeeper)
Hasegawa Hiroki as Asuda Keiichi (the head of the Asuda family)
Kutsuna Shiori as Asuda Yui (Keiichi's 1st child, 2nd grade high school)
Nakagawa Taishi as Asuda Kakeru (Keiichi's 2nd child, 2nd grade middle school)
Ayabe Shuto as Asuda Kaito (Keiichi's 3rd child, 6th grade elementary school)
Honda Miyu as Asuda Kii (Keiichi's 4th child, kindergarten)

Aibu Saki as Yuki Urara (Keiichi's late wife's sister)

Synopsis:
Mita Akari (Matsushima Nanako), a stony-faced, taciturn, mysterious housekeeper who is like a robot, is sent to the Asuda family which suddenly lost their mother in an accident. Akari can do everything and give a customer satisfaction level of 120%. She cooks like a pro, does the work of housewives such as sewing and laundry, is good at all sports and can even give private tutoring for the university entrance exams. However, she is rumoured to choose her own jobs and never make friends with the families she serves. She arrives one morning after the 49th day of the mother’s death and begins to live with the father, Keiichi (Hasegawa Hiroki), and four children (Kutsuna Shiori). Before long, problems within the family are revealed and the Asudas are on the brink of breaking up. She confronts the issues, and saves the family through her flawless work and cold, drastic measures. In the process, she starts to regain the feelings she had lost.
source: http://jdramas.wordpress.com/

seirin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by seirin » Dec 25th, '11, 07:05

I don't like the actress for Yui either. I don't think it's her Japanese issue. I managed to watch Takeshi Kaneshiro and he has accent :P I think it's her facial expression. Or lack of rather. I don't feel her character other than the fact she's an annoying bi*ch. She was less annoying later but that's pretty due to the script rather than her acting (lack of). Was she in Mei-chan no Shitsuji? LOL ahahah Guess it wasn't memorable enough for me to notice her.

I think my favorite characters are probably Kaito and Kii. The father was okay I guess. He's so spineless, I tend to ignore him. Urara was more likable in the last episode. Her "happy go lucky" personality really made me hate her. You can tell she's trying too hard to be perky and it comes off being pretentious. I was glad Mita told her off in the end.

I think Nanako as Mita was not a bad choice. If it was Amami Yuki, I might have stopped watching. Amami is really scary when she's serious and not smiling. I didn't even finish that teacher drama because she freaks me out. I thought she was a really warped teacher who shouldn't have been one.

yanie
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by yanie » Dec 25th, '11, 08:22

seirin wrote:I think it's her facial expression. Or lack of rather. I don't feel her character other than the fact she's an annoying bi*ch.
That's exactly how I feel too :lol But her speaking tone bothers me too, in my case.
She gives that bi*ch vibe too, in GOU. I mean, I loved the character so much during her childhood (played by Ashida Mana). But she totally destroyed the character, playing her teenhood XD

I'm surprised there are some who would compare Nanako and Amami. In terms of the real person, I like Amami Yuki more, she's a funny lady. Nanako is too reserved and is not open. But in terms of acting, I prefer Nanako's. If I were to compare their performances in Mita and Queen, I'd say they're equally good. But Amami's emotional acting really bothers me :glare: She annoyed me like hell in GOLD and Diplomat Kuroda Kosaku the movie, everytime she screams like a mentally disturbed woman (which her characters aren't suppose to be mentally disturbed XD).
And lately, Amami gets too much of a stereotype role, the kind of tough woman or smth like that. Nanako plays more various roles than Amami.
I like Amami best in Fumo Chitai, playing quite a feminine character.

Issy

Post by Issy » Dec 25th, '11, 08:24

mezoomozaa wrote:
the last 3 episodes changed my opinion a little about Nanako , she did great job :thumleft:
but still not 100% convincing me !
IMO , No blame at all on Nanako , but Mita role doesn't fit her

Kii and the father are still the only prize winners in this series , for their acting in the early episodes [not the late , they joined the 2 brothers on the sideline :-( , I don't know what is their role in this series ? and why 2 brothers not 1 for example ?! ]

the acting of older daughter is good , the older son's is bad , the younger son's is accepted
I like Urara chan character all the way

when I compare it to Classroom's Queen [ I can't get this comparison out of my head ! ]

Kaseifu no mita : 8/10 [ and most of this 8 is for the early episodes ]
Jyoou no Kyoushitsu : 9.5/10 :thumright:

Matsushima Nanako 7/10
Amami Yuki 10/10

Honda Miyu [Kii] is the superstar of this series :wub:

I honestly can't inderstand why you constantly comparing these two drama and Nanako and Yuki together? :scratch:
yanie wrote:And lately, Amami gets too much of a stereotype role, the kind of tough woman or smth like that. Nanako plays more various roles than Amami.
I like Amami best in Fumo Chitai, playing quite a feminine character.
Yes and I am getting annoyed by it. I love watching tough and strong women in dramas but I think Yuki has over done it. she is very pretty and delicate woman. I like to see her more in girly/feminine characters for a change.

seirin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by seirin » Dec 25th, '11, 09:21

Issy wrote: I honestly can't inderstand why you constantly comparing these two drama and Nanako and Yuki together? :scratch:
I think the person is comparing because both roles are quite emotionless. But Yuki's role in Queen of the class has less emotion than Nanako's role as Mita. Quite frankly, I couldn't watch past ep 1 of queen of the class. The teacher role was quite disturbing. You can say she's a bit like Alex Keaton in Family Ties, but at least Alex was funny and I loved the character. I couldn't like Yuki's character in that drama at all. She's like a psycho.

I couldn't watch GOLD. That drama was so bad, I don't think any changes could have saved it. I managed to finish Diplomat Kuroda cuz I like Oda Yuji as a hard boiled detective or in this case diplomat. He seems to do those roles well.

8thSin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by 8thSin » Dec 31st, '11, 01:19

Wow, I didn't think a dorama episode would hit 40% viewership again.

I'm still on Ep4 for this though, and I can't say I'm impressed so far...

avieamber
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by avieamber » Dec 31st, '11, 14:46

8thSin wrote:Wow, I didn't think a dorama episode would hit 40% viewership again.

I'm still on Ep4 for this though, and I can't say I'm impressed so far...
I wasn't too and sometimes I still think it's a bit overrated, I like Nanako but she was probably the only good thing in the drama. I didn't care for the rest of the characters.

MaiKitty

Post by MaiKitty » Jan 15th, '12, 13:11

Ok, I admit I just watched this drama after it finished airing. And just because I thought Wow, a drama with 40% rating - must be fantastic. Not because I thought the plot was great. But all it did was just prove that you cannot judge dramas by their ratings. Never. I'm not saying it's bad, it certainly isn't. It had some surprising moments suspense and cuteness. But for me it wasn't that special. The last episode especially - it seemed so drawn out. Like they hadn't planned the drama to last that long and just added some scenes in the end so it would be longer. The scene at the table with the smiling Mita was almost hard to watch for me. That was overkill. Some people compared it to Jyou no Kyoshitsu and I had the same feeling from the start. But Jyou no Kyoshitsu was much better than this. At least for me. But it really seemed to have struck a chord in the heart of the japanese public it seems....good for them. I just hope there won't be a bunch of dramas with similar plots coming after this.

EriKira

Post by EriKira » Jan 18th, '12, 18:59

honestly I don't really satisfied with this dorama.
it is not really amusing n wow

the problems in this dorama are the usual one in another dorama.
like bullying, having an affair, etc
And I think the ending is not really special.

pretty disappointed because I thought it is a good dorama
40% rating for final episode ==

but overall it is a good dorama.

Darez

Post by Darez » Jan 24th, '12, 10:15

From what episode does Mita's background get revealed?

I watched the first couple of episodes, but got sick of the family bickering over everything. I'm only interested on what turned Mita into a cyborg.

seirin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by seirin » Jan 25th, '12, 08:47

EriKira wrote: the problems in this dorama are the usual one in another dorama.
like bullying, having an affair, etc
And I think the ending is not really special.
I think the story focuses on issues that isn't talked about often. Such as how divorce affects the children and tears up the family. Children having to cope with divorce. This drama just adds in suicide as well.

There's also the issue of should one marry out of responsibility rather than love? Generally, you would feel if the guy doesn't take responsibility, he's just a player and dumps females at the first sign of trouble rather than being responsible and doing the right thing. But what is the right thing? Marry someone you don't love? It's a complicated issue where it's hard to say what's right and wrong. Having an abortion would kill a life. Having the child and not getting married would leave the child fatherless and the mother a single mother which is difficult, or getting married and risk having a miserable life.

Also the issue of how people like to shift blame to others which can ruin people's lives. An example I recall is the death of Barbara Yung. She tried to commit suicide to get her boyfriend to save her but couldn't reach him. She died because her best friend couldn't get to her on time. The BF was an actor too. But his life turned to misery because every fan that loved the actress hated him and all the press wrote bad things about him and they put all the blame on him. I think he was forced to move out of the country to escape the hate against him. He left the entertainment business for many years.
Darez wrote:From what episode does Mita's background get revealed?

I watched the first couple of episodes, but got sick of the family bickering over everything. I'm only interested on what turned Mita into a cyborg.
Episode 8

HanieCullen

Post by HanieCullen » Feb 24th, '12, 04:17

I just finished watching this dorama and I don't care about other people opinion coz I LOVE it!!! But I feel a little bit disappointed with the ending :-(
I kinda want Mita to end up with the husband (I just realize that I don't know his name after watching 11 episode of this drama lol......Keiichi(thanks dramawiki :P
But it is acceptable too I guess. Definitely one of my fav Jdorama :D

markmacus95

Post by markmacus95 » Apr 27th, '19, 09:58

Awesome rating for the first episode! I hope it can maintain that number of rating.

JackBauer2424

Post by JackBauer2424 » May 23rd, '19, 21:10

I like the short segments where they show some kaseifu tricks of the trade.