The Good, The Bad, The Weird of Kdrama

Discuss Korean drama series here.
Orion1986

The Good, The Bad, The Weird of Kdrama

Post by Orion1986 » Sep 25th, '11, 14:27

We have posts on bad kdrama, good kdrama, bad endings, happy endings etc. But what about the things that annoy us, the things we like, the clichés, the surprises and so on?
Or maybe things that appear "off" for different cultures. Or things we can't explain. For example, can someone tell me why they lick their finger and touch their noses when nervous? XD

So, here's a thread to talk about all of these things. Elements of Kdrama that stand out. The way they tell stories, the pros and cons of them etc.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Sep 25th, '11, 15:02

Not when nervous but when the leg or arm goes numb. It's a popular belief that it relieves the muscles.

The way I see it, there will be less and less people in particular dramas threads. And my pessimistic realism says that here will be more of whining again and "oh-my-god-so-cliche" miaouling than enumerating good things in Kdramas, because they - hey! - they exist as well.

And funny thing, when I started the thread ok Korean music here, I also called it "The Good, The Bad and The Weird"...

Issy

Post by Issy » Sep 25th, '11, 15:29

Ethlenn wrote:Not when nervous but when the leg or arm goes numb. It's a popular belief that it relieves the muscles.

The way I see it, there will be less and less people in particular dramas threads. And my pessimistic realism says that here will be more of whining again and "oh-my-god-so-cliche" miaouling than enumerating good things in Kdramas, because they - hey! - they exist as well.

And funny thing, when I started the thread ok Korean music here, I also called it "The Good, The Bad and The Weird"...
not sure why E-chan sees commenting about negative aspect of dramas sometimes as "whining" (as in one thread in particular where we have been warned :whistling: :mrgreen: ). but of course, negative points are always mentioned first before positive ones because positive ones are given. so we will have more negative than positive.

people are commenting less and less in drama sections anyway. I have been in 2-3 drama threads that I am following and I can't see anyone there to post so I get cold feet too. sometimes you have to give it to soompi, at least there are enough people there to discuss each ep of a drama. it keeps interested and alive.
8)

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Sep 25th, '11, 15:33

It's easier to complain than to write a praising post.

Even if I'm left alone, I will not visit soompi. I can't access it, so it makes easier for me, hehe.

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Sep 25th, '11, 15:42

Well, there are good points to praise, actually. Like how certain dramas depict the closeness of a family. The little things that make them feel so real and warm. Plenty of good stuff to praise.
And hey, whining will be here, whether we make a thread or not. People will whine and we whine ourselves. But should we not make threads because whiners and fangirls will come? Ahaha. ^^

Issy

Post by Issy » Sep 25th, '11, 15:43

Ethlenn wrote:It's easier to complain than to write a praising post.

Even if I'm left alone, I will not visit soompi. I can't access it, so it makes easier for me, hehe.
don't worry dear. I won't leave you alone (well, apart from whatever to do with PSH :mrgreen:). I was just referring to how our drama threads having less posts and visits.

Silverman

Post by Silverman » Sep 25th, '11, 16:02

What i find a little bit odd in a lot of kdramas (and in some TW-dramas), that a lot of the female-leads are described as "ugly" by the characters in the drama. But almost all of them are the opposite of ugly. I mean if you want to have an "ugly" or average character...then either don't cast top models or just drop the ugly-description. For example Kim Sun Ah in City Hall. There she s described as old, ugly and fat. Ok she doesn't have the prettiest face, but she is 170 cm and has the body of an 20 year old. So in such moments i ask myself how an average women feels, when she sees a model described as ugly.

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Sep 25th, '11, 16:23

Well, selling false role-models is the norm, unfortunately and it happens globally. So does the other way around. Branding someone as the beautiful one.
Beauty is subjective. Most of the "goddesses" of South Korea are simply fugly in my eyes. It's a general issue, not only found in Kdrama. But yes, still sad.

Also, Ecchan, thanks for the answer to the nose thingy. Ehehe.

One thing that annoys me is the "martyr" style of the poor female leads. Their mothers whine, their bosses whine and they just accept it all.
I can feel for a poor character who has spunk and some self-respect , but someone who lets things happen to them is worthy of their fate.

On the flipside, I love poor girls who don't take crap or at least don't act like it's their fault for taking crap and those do exist in kdrama as well.
Like Sun Ah's character in City Hall or No Eun Sol in Protect the Boss. Putting up with things that help you gain something is understandable.

Silverman

Post by Silverman » Sep 25th, '11, 16:52

Another thing, which i think its ...odd. in almost all dramas, there are these poor characters, who can barely afford the rent and one bowl of rice. But almost all of them go drinking almost every day and then they take a cab. I don't know how much you have to spend for alcohol and a cab in Korea, but here i couldn't afford this and i'm by far better off, than these dramacharacters.

Issy

Post by Issy » Sep 25th, '11, 17:07

Orion1986 wrote:One thing that annoys me is the "martyr" style of the poor female leads. Their mothers whine, their bosses whine and they just accept it all.
I can feel for a poor character who has spunk and some self-respect , but someone who lets things happen to them is worthy of their fate.

On the flipside, I love poor girls who don't take crap or at least don't act like it's their fault for taking crap and those do exist in kdrama as well.
Like Sun Ah's character in City Hall or No Eun Sol in Protect the Boss. Putting up with things that help you gain something is understandable.
Yep, it also can be said for those character who thinks " It's best for you if am not around so break up the relationship without any reason or the silliest reasons suffer alone and in pain but keep saying to themselves" it's OK. I am doing it for her/his sake" as if the other person does not have a brain of their own to think about what is going on.

and those girls are always my favourite. :thumright:
Another thing, which i think its ...odd. in almost all dramas, there are these poor characters, who can barely afford the rent and one bowl of rice. But almost all of them go drinking almost every day and then they take a cab. I don't know how much you have to spend for alcohol and a cab in Korea, but here i couldn't afford this and i'm by far better off, than these dramacharacters.
don't forget the latest mobile phones. I am seriously thinking of getting mine from there. it seems they are as cheap as free sometimes.

kkrazy6

Post by kkrazy6 » Sep 25th, '11, 17:13

What got me hooked and I love is that so often something either happens or is said that either makes me stop and think, laugh out loud or suddenly brings me to tears. Of course part of this is discovering a new culture, but it's been a year since I started watching K-dramas and it still happens. At this time Protect the Boss is a great example. I love how often I'm surprised. :D

SSpiegel

Post by SSpiegel » Sep 25th, '11, 17:30

Issy wrote:
don't forget the latest mobile phones. I am seriously thinking of getting mine from there. it seems they are as cheap as free sometimes.
Alcohol and cabs are pretty much the cheapest things in Korea. Eating out, too. Korean phones are pretty cheap, but they're dirt cheap if you make at least a year contract with the operator. That's how you can get a brand spanking new phone with small monthly payments.

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Sep 25th, '11, 17:38

Free cellphones, fast internet, cheap cabs and food? AND hot men? I'm moving to South Korea... I can even put up with the fangirls for those...

I heard about the cheap food in Korea from a classmate at my Japanese course here. Good to know it was true. Ok, lose weight, make money, go to Korea and get nice food and hot men.

Ecchan, remember the plan. Ahaha.

vasou

Post by vasou » Sep 25th, '11, 18:19

1) Why is always woman do with the ''natural'' things like farting and burbing and going to the toilet, with a smell to die for?
Kim Sun Ah in City hall, farting to the girls, and poop smelling gross, and burbing in Scent of a Woman
Leading lady in I need romance farting her own boyfriend and her friends.
And many other . Its always the woman that does this. Rarely a guy does, while in reality, it's quite the opossite (growing up with 3 brothers, I can totally tell)

2) What is that piggyback thing? No taxi? No bus? No car? I can understand it as a scene of cuteness and lovey-dovey ( I do this as well) , but for drunk/hurt scenes? totally NOT.
When you have to rush to the hospital, walking with someone in your back, is NOT the fastest thing to do.

3) Why there are no smoking scenes? I mean, its not that I support smoking ( I am NON-smoker myself) , but all the characters are drinking their @sses off, and none of them smokes?

4) Is it so normal for parents to hit their children? Korean parents are portrayed so brutal. Being a grown up man/woman of 18/20/30y.o and get beaten by your parents?

5) Is Korean people so religious or traditional? the 80% of Kdramas, is like only holding hands and a couple of kiss-kiss before marriage. Nothing more

6) Can't a Korean just turn of their phone? Why do they have to pull battery out? You have to re-adjust time and date

7) Do children inherit parent's debts? As far as I am concern, only if you are a part of the loan (guarantor), then you inherit debts, right? If not, a kid is not responsible (and I am NOT talking about loansharks involved)

8 ) Nosebleed. Seriously, how many of you have you nosebleed because of reading or having sex (Kim Sam Soon)

A think that have to do with the culture difference

- The ''buy me dinner then'' thing. In my eyes, sometimes, the way it is asked, it sounds very ''cheap''. Some times, it's playfull like ''Your treat'' but sometimes is asking like begging to feed you.
In Greece, like the 90% of times, the boyfriend is paying. Even if there are no romantic relationship, then it gets even. But a man (especially) asking to buy dinner, never leaves me with good impression

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Sep 25th, '11, 18:27

Damn, I have been so planning to mention some of those on a cliche article. Ahaha. Yep. They are cliches, but it's interesting to know how many of them, if any, actually apply.
Like beating your 30-year-old son. Or the smoking. Smoking and drinking are both bad in large amounts, so it's weird they ban smoking from TV and not drinking so much.

Another thing is the lack of furniture. Most of the "poor" characters always sit on the floor. Sometimes, whole rooms are just empty with a little table in the middle.
Is it just done to show tradition or are sofas so rare there? I mean, relatively ok (financially) families sometimes have an alarming lack of couches in drama.

Another thing is saying bye bye. When people get off the phone, they rarely seem to say bye bye or something of the sort. Seen this in western shows as well.
Is it normal? Am I being too polite for making sure the other person knows when the conversation is over and I am hanging up? Lol. Aaah, love these details.

I also love and hate all the display of food in Asian series. Kdramas too. I love watching the stuff they eat and places, but then I need to raid my fridge, damn it! And no pastry shops here, so that is torture as well. XD

vasou

Post by vasou » Sep 25th, '11, 18:33

Orion1986 wrote:Damn, I have been so planning to mention some of those on a cliche article. Ahaha. Yep. They are cliches, but it's interesting to know how many of them, if any, actually apply.
Like beating your 30-year-old son. Or the smoking. Smoking and drinking are both bad in large amounts, so it's weird they ban smoking from TV and not drinking so much.
Especially the one with the beating, in the first time I was W-T-F!!!
Then, I saw it almost in every freaking drama.
Another thing is the lack of furniture. Most of the "poor" characters always sit on the floor. Sometimes, whole rooms are just empty with a little table in the middle.
Is it just done to show tradition or are sofas so rare there? I mean, relatively ok (financially) families sometimes have an alarming lack of couches in drama.
I guess is a culture thing, like the one that they sleep in the floor, or most of times eating in the small -living room- table.
Another thing is the saying bye bye. When people get of the phone, they rarely seem to say bye bye or something of the sort. Seen this in western shows as well.
Is it normal? Am I being too polite for making sure the other person knows when the conversation is over and I am hanging up? Lol. Aaah, love these details.
That's true. Same goes sometimes when picking up a phone and only saying ''Ah''.
Come on, don't you say a '' Hello'' or something before?

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Sep 25th, '11, 18:47

And speaking about positive ones, like I said, the family closeness is lovely. Like in Coffee Prince or Protect the Boss.
Like when a daughter will go sleep next to her mom. Or, indeed, when a 50+ year-old man gets scolded by his mom (PTB).

I just love these moments. Mainly cause Greeks are also very close to their family. And I don't mean the "proper etiquette" closeness of chaebol. I mean proper real closeness.
It's so nice to see such scenes in kdrama. Japanese are colder, western series feel too contrived. These scenes are so heartwarming and realistic in Kdrama and I just love em.

And they do that a lot with friends too. Like female friends hugging and sitting close together. People just do that. They have "skinship". It's so nice when that's not missing from a show.
Last edited by Orion1986 on Sep 25th, '11, 18:48, edited 1 time in total.

Silverman

Post by Silverman » Sep 25th, '11, 18:48

I don't how it is in Korea, but in Japan the lack of sofas is there mainly because of the space. A lot of families have relatively small flats, so big furniture is a big no-no. So i can imagine, that it can be the same for koreans.

Damn if i would eat and drink in small restaurants every day and take every day a cab, then I would spend about 1000-1500$ every month (well for 2 persons and if you buy just the cheapest alcohol and food at the restaurants).

vasou

Post by vasou » Sep 25th, '11, 19:08

True, I agree with that a lot. Koreans seem very family oriented, and this is a common characteristic that we have. I like it.
Another nice cliche is a shower scene. No explanation needed :)

Some others I forgot:

- How often you meet someone. I mean, in some dramas, it is supposed for them to live in Seoul or other metropolitan cities, and they bump to each other (while they don't live in the same neighborhood) every day. Cafe, markets, shops...
- Messy hair means smelly! I remember city Hall, and Sunah's hair was messy. And it suposse they were smelly. In order to get smelly, it means that they haven't wash them for a couple of days, right? Then, why the hell they are not ''oily'' and they are just ''fuzzy''? Are korean's hair non-oily?
- In couples that one is supossed to be not-so-goodlooking, why it always the woman?
- Why is always the second female lead that is the beach, and the second male lead is an angel? Why can't be vice versa?
- Speeding drive or drunk drive. Seriously, NONE is getting stopped by police?
- Going in another country to study like if Korea has the worst education system! Ok, I understand f.e. going to US, to take your PHd or something, but going to Italy to be a barista? Going to Sweden (Kim Bum at BOF) to study... pottery?
- Going to another country, and while you have NO connection all these years, claim your ex and '' we never broke up''
- Wearing suits , even when not working. Korean rich people, can't wear normal clothes? There are expensive clothes that are NOT suits.
- The very rich households usually have rotary - antique phones, even if the style of the house is NOT vintage.
- Bathroom scenes where when you exit you don't wash hands.. :S Come on, this is gross.
- Stopping a bus wherever they want. Seriously, why this is not happening in my country and I have to go in and out only where the bus stops are?
- Pregnant women appear only when they are about to give birth or something. A 4-5months preggos don't exist there.
- Guys are straightforward enough to mock about having flat chest or being fat, but never to confess or kiss.

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Sep 25th, '11, 19:19

Damn, my carpal tunnel is acting up and I can't comment on all of those now. Ahaha. Yep. So many clichés. Not all annoy or anything, but it's still funny to spot em.
Also, too much and graphic throwing up. I know they do it to make a point, but it's gross. If you have no problem with other bodily functions, show sex too then. Ahaha.

And even if they have throwing up etc, the cleanliness is quite annoyingly present. They rarely look like crap after drinking or being sick and it's mostly just messed up hair.
Waking up with perfect make-up and hair breaks immersion. Which is why I loved that scene in God's Quiz where he wakes up looking like a mess after drinking heavily.

But fangirls watch these mostly. So, whatever they like or dislike has to be there.

Silverman

Post by Silverman » Sep 25th, '11, 19:22

You missed to mention, that the kisses are...well...i don't know how to describe it, but i had a more passionate kiss with my first "real" gf at an age of 12.
One thing that cracks me up is, that the parents throw a fit, if their 25-30 year old daughter didn't spend the night at home. btw. does anybody know, if the no-sex-before-marriage-policy in korea really exists?

Issy

Post by Issy » Sep 25th, '11, 19:29

@vasou
We have unleashed a monster :lol Have you been taking notes at the same time watching those dramas?
About furniture thing
I love this about Korean and Japanese dramas. Keeping up with tradition. I have seen it so many times. No matter how rich they get they still have rooms decorated like old time
Sitting and even sleeping ( which is proven to be very good thing for your back specially if you suffer from back problems) on the floor.
It might be strange in western countries specially if they see a rich family but it is of a norm if you come from Asia. It is one of our cultural traditions too but unfortunately is Dying out because people feel embarrassed nowdays due to so called modern living.

vasou

Post by vasou » Sep 25th, '11, 19:35

Orion1986 wrote:Damn, my carpal tunnel is acting up and I can't comment on all of those now. Ahaha. Yep. So many clichés. Not all annoy or anything, but it's still funny to spot em.
Also, too much and graphic throwing up. I know they do it to make a point, but it's gross. If you have no problem with other bodily functions, show sex too then. Ahaha.

And even if they have throwing up etc, the cleanliness is quite annoyingly present. They rarely look like crap after drinking or being sick and it's mostly just messed up hair.
Waking up with perfect make-up and hair breaks immersion. Which is why I loved that scene in God's Quiz where he wakes up looking like a mess after drinking heavily.

But fangirls watch these mostly. So, whatever they like or dislike has to be there.
I don't know what Carpal tunnel is . .
Well yeah, Not all of the cliche's are annoying, but some of them are noteworthy and weird that's why I mentioned them.
Yes, too much of throw up. And yes, they only show body functions like poop, burp, fart and sex is limited. Damn.
Silverman wrote:You missed to mention, that the kisses are...well...i don't know how to describe it, but i had a more passionate kiss with my first "real" gf at an age of 12.
One thing that cracks me up is, that the parents throw a fit, if their 25-30 year old daughter didn't spend the night at home. btw. does anybody know, if the no-sex-before-marriage-policy in korea really exists?
OOoooohhhhh the kisses is a helluvah big them for me to start... I want to write soooo much, and as you can see, I already speak a lot !!!!!
Issy wrote:@vasou
We have unleashed a monster :lol Have you been taking notes at the same time watching those dramas?
About furniture thing
I love this about Korean and Japanese dramas. Keeping up with tradition. I have seen it so many times. No matter how rich they get they still have rooms decorated like old time
Sitting and even sleeping ( which is proven to be very good thing for your back specially if you suffer from back problems) on the floor.
It might be strange in western countries specially if they see a rich family but it is of a norm if you come from Asia. It is one of our cultural traditions too but unfortunately is embrassing now because of so called modern living.
Aaaahahahhahahah!!! No, I am not taking notes. It's just that some things are tottaly different from my society, and they are immediatly capturing my attention.

Silverman

Post by Silverman » Sep 25th, '11, 20:01

Issy wrote:@vasou
About furniture thing
It might be strange in western countries specially if they see a rich family but it is of a norm if you come from Asia. It is one of our cultural traditions too but unfortunately is Dying out because people feel embarrassed nowdays due to so called modern living.
I know, what I'm about to write is annoying, but to say its an asian thing, is a little bit exaggerated. Asia describes not just Korea, China and Japan. These countries are just a little part of Asia (Eastasia to be exact). I know we in the west tend to say "asia" and just think of Eastasia, but its something i alwasy wanted to say^^.

I was almost in all parts of asia, except for Southeastasia (Thailand, Vietnam a.s.o.), India, Korea and Japan. Almost all of them are more or less assimilated by the "western"-furniture ages ago. Well at least in the cities. In the country are some remote places, which are more traditional.

Another topic:
Are Koreans sensitive to ramen? In every drama they whine about how their face will bloat up, if they eat a cup. I have never seen someones face bloat up after ramen.

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Sep 25th, '11, 20:17

About ramen, maybe it's because it's hearty food with stock and all. It "fills you up", I guess. Or then it's some paranoid idea "pretty" women have.
As if you will be stoned if you are bloated of have a zit. Then again, netizens complained about JaeJoong's make up so I guess you will get stoned. XD

As for kissing, can't get started on that either. Between me and my doppelganger or vasou and hers, none of you will ever leave this place. Ahaha.

Oh and vasou, carpal tunnel is a place in the wrist where all the nerves and tendons go through and reach the palm. It can "lock up" sometimes.
I type a lot, click a lot and use Photoshop often so mine tends to act up and it's easier for it to act up if it has been sensitive in the past. Must be careful.

vasou

Post by vasou » Sep 25th, '11, 20:22

I don't know what Ramen is exactly, I have only tried Bulgogy (from the Korean foods) ..

Oh, now I see what carpal tunnel is. Perastika :(

And I forgot.. Just like Korean rich men don't wear anything else than suits, Koreans in general don't wear jeans, unless they are short?
Seriously, I can't remember seeing one, especially a woman wearing jeans!

:goggle:

Silverman

Post by Silverman » Sep 25th, '11, 21:07

Yes one thing i'm always curious about is korean beef. As a present it almost tops a brand-name bag in almost all of the dramas. I have even seen a beefset as a prize in shows and they even have cfs for beef. Is beef so expensive in Korea? Or is it some special beef, like "kobe"-beef (original kobe=250$+ for 1kg)? Or are koreans just crazy for meat?

Issy

Post by Issy » Sep 25th, '11, 21:29

Silverman wrote:I know, what I'm about to write is annoying, but to say its an asian thing, is a little bit exaggerated. Asia describes not just Korea, China and Japan. These countries are just a little part of Asia (Eastasia to be exact). I know we in the west tend to say "asia" and just think of Eastasia, but its something i alwasy wanted to say^^.

I was almost in all parts of asia, except for Southeastasia (Thailand, Vietnam a.s.o.), India, Korea and Japan. Almost all of them are more or less assimilated by the "western"-furniture ages ago. Well at least in the cities. In the country are some remote places, which are more traditional.
well, I was not referring to Japan. Korea and China only by the term Asia. I was talking about my own background (unless you don't consider Middleast a apart of Asia) and I did not mean that only those 3 countries are "assimilated by the western-furniture". I only said it is very admirable of such cultures to still keep their tradition when more or less the whole world are furnished in westernised way. the fact that they still sit and sleep on the floor was mentioned here as a negative point and referred to lack of furniture, My answer was that is not the case. it's just a way to keep their tradition even if they live in heart of a modern city like Seoul.

and the term Asian means different in different countries. for your information the term Asian here in UK is refereed to people from India, Pakistan...and in no way reminds of Korean, Chinese or Japanese.

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Sep 25th, '11, 21:33

I was just wondering because even seemingly non-traditional families or people do it in dramas sometimes. Was wondering how accurate the volume is.
I mean that I was wondering if so many people of those younger age groups really do it in South Korea or if the makers do it in series to promote tradition.

Issy

Post by Issy » Sep 25th, '11, 21:45

I did not mean you my dear Ori. I was referring to Vasou's point about why people still sleep on the floor?
I have seen it in dramas too. to be honest we do it alot too. I mean even though we have complete furnitures in our houses, back home you do also have a room that it has nice big think Persian carpet and mats around your sitting room to sit and even accepts guests. but unfortunately this nice sitting is getting less and less. and your legs gets numb sometimes if you are not used to it. :P
I do believe is more with older people and not younger generations. as seen in Kdramas of course. maybe we need to go and find out for ourselves. 8)

Silverman

Post by Silverman » Sep 25th, '11, 22:00

Issy wrote: well, I was not referring to Japan. Korea and China only by the term Asia. I was talking about my own background (unless you don't consider Middleast a apart of Asia) and I did not mean that only those 3 countries are "assimilated by the western-furniture". I only said it is very admirable of such cultures to still keep their tradition when more or less the whole world are furnished in westernised way. the fact that they still sit and sleep on the floor was mentioned here as a negative point and referred to lack of furniture, My answer was that is not the case. it's just a way to keep their tradition even if they live in heart of a modern city like Seoul.

and the term Asian means different in different countries. for your information the term Asian here in UK is refereed to people from India, Pakistan...and in no way reminds of Korean, Chinese or Japanese.
But you have to admit, that a lot of people over the world think of China and Japan, if you mention Asia.
Issy wrote: I did not mean that only those 3 countries are "assimilated by the western-furniture". I only said it is very admirable of such cultures to still keep their tradition when more or less the whole world are furnished in westernised way.
With this

I just wanted to say, that in almost all asian countries i've traveled, the general furniture-style is westernized (ok there are a lot of details, like f.e. tapestry in some countries, which remain traditional). I did not mean to say, that you said, that only these 3 countries are "assimilated" (damn, i just wanted to say, that i had no opposition to what you wrote before).

WildMuffins

Post by WildMuffins » Sep 25th, '11, 22:03

The Swerve: You know there's a serious conversation when they swerve the car to the side of the road and stop to talk.

The Slogan filled T-shirts: Where do they get them and where can I get them?

The fevers and IV drips: Koreans must be the weakest people on earth if they get that sick over emotional issues.

First Base: Holding hands.
Second Base: The hug.
Third Base: The forehead kiss (how positively condescending from a western perspective!).
Home: The lusty kiss.

How come everyone related to you can get your money? Banking reform is desperately needed in the Dramas! And then there's the Loan Sharks....

The loudmouth cliche characters that only serve to annoy the viewers.

The obsessive-compulsive one-sided thing that is translated as Love - could it be that OCD a genetic trait in Korea?

The oh so VERY VERY BAD english acting - this must be lack of understanding on the director's part. I mean by the american actors, not the koreans.

The incidental background music - can't even begin to say how many old songs I've downloaded from iTunes after hearing them in a drama.
Last edited by WildMuffins on Sep 25th, '11, 22:12, edited 1 time in total.

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Sep 25th, '11, 22:03

Issy, we do need to go and find out for ourselves. Well, the creep makes his own furniture so I doubt he sits down on the floor. Ahaha. Unless he's not sure he made em well. XD

WildMuffins, awesome list! Indeed! Well, the over-prudishness is an issue, yes. As if young korean men and women don't know people have sex and haven't had it themselves.

And the english is annoying as well. Actors are talented. They CAN learn a few lines phonetically. Meaning, be taught the accent, even if they don't understand the meaning.
All it would take would be a voice coach. But I guess you have to pay for those and stations looking to squeeze as much money out with the smallest budget don't do that.

As for the music, it's sad. So many nice insert songs you can't find titles to, because only the songs they write for the series get into the soundtrack for it. The pain and googling...

And them IV-drips, weak characters and all, you should see the second female lead in Magic. She is the definition of anemic obsessed pathetic woman. But they portray her as such, which is at least honest.
What I can't take is when they show such characters and actually portray them as damn heroes and awesome people for being complete doormats and one-track minded. And it happens in melo a lot, I think.

vasou

Post by vasou » Sep 25th, '11, 22:11

Issy wrote:I did not mean you my dear Ori. I was referring to Vasou's point about why people still sleep on the floor?
I have seen it in dramas too. to be honest we do it alot too. I mean even though we have complete furnitures in our houses, back home you do also have a room that it has nice big think Persian carpet and mats around your sitting room to sit and even accepts guests. but unfortunately this nice sitting is getting less and less. and your legs gets numb sometimes if you are not used to it. :P
I do believe is more with older people and not younger generations. as seen in Kdramas of course. maybe we need to go and find out for ourselves. 8)
I wasn't really made in a negative way, but was something I was curious about, since I am not used to it.

Oh, I am not the one that I am annoyed with the ENglish, great! It's not that I am expecting them to be fluent, its that many times, there are trying to show that he/she is even fluent with THAT accent. :goggle:

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Sep 25th, '11, 22:13

I do get that these series are mainly watched within the country itself, but anyone who's seen an english-speaking foreigner knows "fluent" is simply not that.
It breaks the immersion and it's really not nice to leave your actors hanging and perform badly. Also, hallyu anyone? These do reach english-speaking audiences.

vasou

Post by vasou » Sep 25th, '11, 22:22

It's mainly for within the country, yes, but it's known that there is a large international community for Kdramas.
It's ok to have bad English when someone is supposed to be ''bad'' in English (Kim sam soon -> hilarious) , but having but English to a supposed fluent, its just killing my ears. Seriously,its worst than hearing Bakoyanni talking english.

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Sep 25th, '11, 22:28

vasou wrote:Seriously,its worst than hearing Bakoyanni talking english.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Oh man. Yep. No attempt at an accent whatsoever. For the non-greeks, click and listen. I can understand her though.
Wonder if Koreans can understand the "fluent" english in kdrama if they know english themselves. Maybe they do, like we do greeks.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ndioirmKBPY" frameborder="0"></iframe>

vasou

Post by vasou » Sep 25th, '11, 22:31

Ok - guilty as charged! My accent is as bad as Bakoyanni, but if I try , I can ''fake'' to a better accent. I just feel that I sound like I am mocking when I am trying my accent.
But on the other hand, I am not a politician or an actor. If needed, I ll do my best.

But seriously, that's the typical Greek accent , especially for older generation

Issy

Post by Issy » Sep 25th, '11, 22:32

@Silverman
:lol so we were both making the same point? that's funny. point taken. :mrgreen:
as for Asian, you might be right. but as I said, here in UK used in different way.

as for English, YES. it annoys the hell out of me when I hear them talking specially as Ori said, they just have been taught the accent and not what does actually mean. this does not only belongs to Kdramas but in Jdramas too. honestly, most of times I close my ears in order not hear them talking in English specially if I like that character and don't want his/her image to gets ruined in my mind. worst thing, they are characters that according to storyline have been educated in US or UK for years so even though they might have an accent, their grammar and punctuation should be at least better than average.

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Sep 25th, '11, 22:34

And it's not only English too. They kill French and Italian sometimes. Other languages too. They should really consider the level of a show and the actor.
It's really cheap not to train an actor/actress. I don't think it would be that hard to learn a few lines and they'd gain some prestige when doing it as well.

Like you say, Issy, it's not only that we need English subs for their speech, but the grammar is all over the place too. If you have studied abroad, you just don't suck so much.

vasou

Post by vasou » Sep 25th, '11, 22:36

Seriously, although she tried hard, it killed my ears. And especially compared to Lee Phillip, she sounds soooo horrible!! [/spoiler]

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Sep 25th, '11, 22:38

Vasou, that was actually intentional. You can tell by her tone. Her character has a very "full of herself" image and she was trying to impress the director.
And got totally screwed. Ahaha. She seems to be emphasizing all the "errors" in her accent so I believe they did that on purpose, to show her character.

Wish I could say the same for all the horrible English, but nope. XD

vasou

Post by vasou » Sep 25th, '11, 22:39

Orion1986 wrote:Vasou, that was actually intentional. You can tell by her tone. Her character has a very "full of herself" image and she was trying to impress the director.
And got totally screwed. Ahaha. She seems to be emphasizing all the "errors" in her accent so I believe they did that on purpose, to show her character.
True, but I couldn't find easily any other bad example :D

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Sep 25th, '11, 22:42

Ji Hwan killed a number of languages in Lie to Me. Hyun Bin's Secret Garden English was horrible as well. The Protect the Boss ones were also quite "off". Plenty of examples. Ahaha.

And as lovely as Kang Dong Won's singing of "Aubrey" was in Too Beautiful to Lie, he killed the language completely. But his character was a country bumpkin and not an educated chaebol.

Silverman

Post by Silverman » Sep 25th, '11, 22:44

Now we are on the topic of "foreigners" in kdramas. Almost all of non-koreans are blond.
I don't know if anyone noticed, but these "foreigners" are in almost all cases Russians, who pose as Americans.
Last edited by Silverman on Sep 25th, '11, 22:47, edited 1 time in total.

vasou

Post by vasou » Sep 25th, '11, 22:46

I think Ji Hwan was talking French and Japanese, and I am not familiar with them. Huyn Bin killed English there, but Having seeing the trailer of Manchu, I have not such bad of impression
Silverman wrote:Now we are on the topic of "foreigners" in kdramas. Almost all of non-koreans are blond.
I don't know if anyone noticed, but these "foreigners" are in almost all cases Russians, who act as Americans.
Haha! True!
I volunteer to appear in a drama with any hottie korean around. I am not blonde, but defenately not Korean looking :lol
Any dark-wavy hair and green-eyed girl needed?
Hello?
Huyn Bin, JI Hwan or Lee Dong Wook preffered. Thanks :whistling:

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Sep 25th, '11, 22:48

Or half-Koreans with contact lenses. And bad bad baaad actors. They just pick em up from wherever. And always blonde, if foreign, yes. No other foreign people but blonde with blue eyes.
Actually, the only foreign actors in an Asian work to do well were the two guys from Haunters. They were so good, it was a big breath of fresh air. No wonder they chose to have em.

And yes, I volunteer when I look slightly better. Ahaha.

The painful Aubrey from that movie. Love his voice, but I wanted to stuff that pillow in his mouth every time he killed that. And I'm his fangirl. XD
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/TfW-1WpHSyE" frameborder="0"></iframe>
Last edited by Orion1986 on Sep 25th, '11, 22:49, edited 1 time in total.

Issy

Post by Issy » Sep 25th, '11, 22:48

but to be fair, I have seen it in Arabic dramas too. the person who just came back from US and has been living there for years comes back with accent worst that people who have not left the country and learned the language there. I just see it as a sign of not respecting viewers intelligence.
and I think only people with good English or any other language can see if that actor/actress doing a good job or not. in others ears it will only sound like a foreign language and even praised for their talent.
that's why PDs normally do not make much fuss about how good is their lines. it's a shame really because Korean entertainment industry thrives on promoting its product to outside world and release lots of their dramas and movies with English subs. unlike Jdramas that are only meant for Japanese people.

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Sep 25th, '11, 22:51

True. Considering they aim for a broader audience, they are doing a poor job at the quality department. Not just talking about US or Europe too.
Don't forget that places like Singapore and the Philippines have English as the official language. And these countries are big on Asian dramas.

vasou

Post by vasou » Sep 25th, '11, 23:09

Oh, the accent was a bit bad :goggle: but funny
Gosh, I love that thread.

Also, some more I have noticed :
- The only foreign food that Koreans make or eat is .. spaghetti? Not even a pizza? :lol
- Korean people do NOT like heavy metal or rock or even foreign music? I doubt I have listen anything other than Korean music (mostly pop or traditional) and at best, a crappy foreign like B.Spears or something.
- Korean men are not watching sports. I don't know if soccer is as popular as it in Europe though...
- How can Koreans and Japanese crossdress so easily?
I mean, take aside the smaller bodies that women have, or boobs what about the voice? Isn't easy to say the difference about male and females?
- Do rich people hang out so much in street food vendors? I thought that a rich preffers to eat in a fancy, or at least an average restaurant, right?

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Sep 25th, '11, 23:14

As far as the music goes, rom-coms use pop because it's more popular with the target audiences. They do use insert songs from foreign bands too. And dance songs.
Other types of series might use foreign music or even rock and alternative. God's Quiz has many nice alternative songs. I love a few pieces from there very much indeed.

Soccer is popular, I think, but I guess if there's need to show men watching TV in a series, they show variety shows cause they are "light entertainment" they can watch quietly.
If a man is watching sports, he will scream and go nuts and won't be available for talking. In a series, it would just interrupt the main scene happening. Just a guess though.

vasou

Post by vasou » Sep 25th, '11, 23:17

Never saw one. Or maybe, I haven't watch that much of other categories, I guess. But from rom-coms or melos, I haven't seen any non-pop.

Hm, I have to think some more now.

People- don't hate me, I am not an anti-korean (in fact, I love korea) , its just things so different

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Sep 25th, '11, 23:21

Ahaha. It's ok, love. We all watch Korean series and films here. We made the topic exactly because it is fun and sometimes frustrating and/or confusing when certain clichés or culture clashes happen. ^^

As for music, they like their Greeks enough. They had Nana Mouskouri's "Over and Over" in City Hunter and also Vandi's "Geia" in Magic.
I almost lost it when I heard Vandi in a Korean series. XD I couldn't believe my ears. I called my mother over to verify it. Ahaha. Fun times.

vasou

Post by vasou » Sep 25th, '11, 23:38

I know, its just that I came with a huge list of em .. :cheers:
Now I have to think the good cliche's . Shower scene is my favorite though, nothing can top it :wub: :wub: Maybe a nekkid one, but this is not going to happen :lol

-Well, what I also like, or that is common with us, is the food thing. I mean, seeing a korean mother ''Did you eat''? ''Eat, eat a lot'', tottaly reminds me of my mother, coming with tupperware, when visiting me in Athens, after travelling 6 hours!
'' I brough some mousaka, some spanakopita, lots of dolmadakia, olive oil, and a pastry I made yesterday''.
''Mom, I can't eat it all those stuff within 2-3 days, they will be rotten''
''Uhhh...''
-guys go shopping with the girls. Seriously? I want these guys! All of the guys I know are '' Shopping? With you? No way, I can't be so many hours with you trying dresses''

Oh, some other questions.
-Koreans and pets?
Seriously, I rarely see someone having a dog or something in a drama.
- Dish and clothes handwashing? Its 2011, and an average family does not own a clothe washing machine?

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Sep 25th, '11, 23:42

Cause handwashing is a shekshi form of skinship! Ahaha. Well, shekshi by Korean drama standards. I guess it's nicer for a scene when some action is involved.
Seeing two people stand around a washing machine and talk doesn't have the same kick as them talking whole doing hard work and all. But for rich characters, yeah.

And about pets, fangirls can't focus on anything else if there's a cute pet there. They'd miss the entire plot and then complain about the lack of it or something. XD
But some animals have been present. The real reason is probably the expensive training and stalling they might cause. But I've seen cats and dogs as well.

There was a "guest" kitty in That Fool and an AWESOME "main character" doggy in The Man Who Can't Get Married. That dog was epic. And in Protect the Boss now.

As for the shopping, it's usually the "nice" characters that do that. The ideal men who every sane woman would want. Who are always the second leads that lose the girl to the main jerk.

And yes, the eating thing is greek as well. Especially with moms. They think they can stuff the whole fridge in you and that they should, or you'll go hungry. There's a reason we got so many obese people. XD

vasou

Post by vasou » Sep 25th, '11, 23:51

Orion1986 wrote:Cause handwashing is a shekshi form of skinship! Ahaha. Well, shekshi by Korean drama standards. I guess it's nicer for a scene when some action is involved.
Seeing two people stand around a washing machine and talk doesn't have the same kick as them talking whole doing hard work and all. But for rich characters, yeah.
The idea of sexy or romantic, is really something I can't understand, by Korean standards.
Example: I love back-hugs, I seriously do, because optically, they are nice to see in TV. But seriously, how romantic or shekshi or skinship-y is that.
Come one girl, hug him from the front so you can feel his chest :wub: and have the warm breath of yours near his nect :wub:
Or forehead kiss. Are.you.kidding.me? Are you 5 y.o kids, like Pitaro and Hinata from Zenkai girl?

And about pets, fangirls can't focus on anything else if there's a cute pet there. They'd miss the entire plot and then complain about the lack of it or something. XD

I guess is the same reason why pop idols never kiss properly and only give a peck? Because of fangirls like that what happened in protect the boss?
But some animals have been present. The real reason is probably the expensive training and stalling they might cause. But I've seen cats and dogs as well.There was a "guest" kitty in That Fool and an AWESOME "main character" doggy in The Man Who Can't Get Married. That dog was epic. And in Protect the Boss now.
Maybe the man who can't get married is the only one I can think of. When I mean pet, I don't mean just seeing a pet here and there. Like they own one. I only recently saw in Scent of a woman one.
I don't think that is so hard, tones of other series all around the world include pets. Not like the main characters, like Lassie, but just having a dog.

And yes, the eating thing is greek as well. Especially with moms. They think they can stuff the whole fridge in you and that they should, or you'll go hungry. There's a reason we got so many obese people. XD

Yeap. Compared to Korean food, Greek food has much more calories and fat. And we eat ALL the time, all kind of food.
The most hilarious is that they expect you to actually eat all that food in a couple of days.
:goggle:

Jav_sol

Post by Jav_sol » Sep 26th, '11, 03:14

WildMuffins wrote:The fevers and IV drips: Koreans must be the weakest people on earth if they get that sick over emotional issues.
They must have some good healthcare system as well. Here you can be bleeding to death and no one at the hospital will look at you unless you show your health insurance card. In K-dramas they just walk right into the hospital and get a bed.

Orion1986 wrote:And it's not only English too. They kill French and Italian sometimes. Other languages too. They should really consider the level of a show and the actor.
It's really cheap not to train an actor/actress. I don't think it would be that hard to learn a few lines and they'd gain some prestige when doing it as well.
Well, I've heard some of the worst "Spanish" here on tv shows and movies. Let's just say I find it hard to believe that hollywood can't find someone who speaks proper Spanish in the US. :roll

Issy

Post by Issy » Sep 26th, '11, 09:25

OK, I am going to scratch the surface and go deep
I have to quote this from another thread because that's what I wanted to talk about for ages.
Orion wrote:But it set me up for something smarter and without holes and it wasn't. For me, at least. ^^
that has been the main reason for me disliking or dropping a drama. some keep saying "don't expect too much" for a particular drama but it does not work if you are following an airing drama. they set you for very exciting and interesting storyline and then it ends up with most ridiculous ending that was totally different on how it started.
of course this is subjected to personal likes and dislikes and taste so my two examples reflect my own opinion as I know some might disagree.
again, I Need Romace and New Tales of Gisaenge that are my biggest disappointment of this year so far. they both promised something new and not done but ended up very cliche and silly. I finished NTOG because I was interested in secondary characters only and only.

other topic, OTP or One True Pairing. It might sound exaggerated point of view but most of time you know who will end up with who from very beginning just by looking at the main cast. even if your seconday characters are as great as the main, you still know that there is no point of hoping for any pairing between the 2nd and main because writers would not allow it. there are some exceptions of course and thank goodness for those because there is still some hope. not only that, they force you to like a couple with no obvious reasons for them to be liked as a couple due to lack of chemistry (written or acted). another one is setting up a pseudo-couple that takes most eps of the drama for the reason of emphasizing the actual couple they had in their mind. Kim Soo Roo and right now Warrior Baek Dong Su and again I Need Romance.

the last one is the most serious one in my opinion. there is subtle roughness and violence that is present against women or in general in almost every Kdrama that I have seen. even in the rom-coms and it feels like a normal thing to do. it's so easy to be mistaken as their norma daily life and as something very usual. I am sure it is not only in Korea and Kdramas and is almost every where but it is always written in kdramas as something ordinary. I am not talking about slapping or hitting because they are obvious violence and abuse no matter who slapped/hit who. if you notice, even good characters of the drama if they wanted to know something from a woman, pulls her hand roughly and pin her to the wall just to ask the reasons why. keep an eye on this and in each drama you will find atleast one scene and it is to do your main and good guys.
I challenged a friend who always praised Kdramas and is biased about how they are full of love and caring all the time once. she was so shocked to find even her loveable gentle character (it was 49 Days drama) was guilty as charged with this issue and she has not notice it before.

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Sep 26th, '11, 15:22

That is the issue of "romance" as fangirls perceive it. They feel that a guy being rough in his skinship is "romantic". He grabs you by the wrist because he is passionate or whatever.
It's also used as a "look at him, being a cute little boy" trick to make the character seem sulky and cute. Except he's a grown ass man who shouldn't be acting sulky and "cute" like that.

It's that soap opera leftover thing. That theatrical acting where even turning your head is done dramatically. When a guy grabs a wrist, fangirls go wild with how "lustful" he is and all.
And I don't credit them with an overabundance of brains to think that passion≠physical abuse. Unless it's in bedroom context and I asked for it, begging. Err. I mean "you asked for it".

As for the whole shift in tone or dumb ending, I agree. It is really annoying. Choose a genre and stick to it. A tone and stick to it. Characters and their values and stick to em, ffs!
You can't start a series as a comedy or as light watching and then kill people by the end. And you can't start a series promising things just to hook viewers, which it doesn't deliver.

Not to mention that fact that all these strong independent women end up complete softies and "I'll do anything for him" by the end. As if women should turn into idiots when they like a guy.
You can "do anything" without making stupid moves or those unnecessary and simply ridiculous "My cat objects so I can't be with him" or "But we had a fight so it can't work out" reasons.

And to go to the flipside again, I love dramas who show real connection and falling for someone for who they are, not because of lust or because they "rocked your world". Same thing.
Most rom-coms end at the lust part. When the couple is just formed, after knowing each other for only a while and got "romantic". But love takes time and it takes knowing the other person.

There are some nice series who do that. I just wish there were more rom-COMS that did that, because it feels that if a couple has some depth in it, it's melo and somebody dies.
You can make a beautiful story about love and understanding and all and make it moving and even create some sweet tears without turning it into a tragedy or break up, you know.

Silverman

Post by Silverman » Sep 26th, '11, 16:44

Even though its in 99% of dramas predictable, that the female lead ends up with the male lead, its good like it is. I mean the second leads have in most dramas 20% of the screentime, which the mainleads have. So I for my part would have the "wtf?"-feeling if the mainlead ends up with the second lead. I mean why would they end up with guys/girls, whom we've seen in like half of the episodes and in the episodes in which they are shown, they are there for about 3-5 minutes.
It would be nice, if they would make dramas, where all leads have the same amount of screentime and same amount of interactions between the characters, so that the viewer can't be too sure, who ends with whom. So that we have 4 mainleads.

Issy

Post by Issy » Sep 26th, '11, 17:23

although I really like 4 leads storyline but I don't think it is possible due to budget issues. imagine casting 4 equally famous actors. :P
but I do believe that 2nd lead have much more screen time than that.

anyway, I am up for my good points now

ok, I have been watching Jdramas since 2004 and I am a big fan of samurai movies. naturally I love historical dramas. after starting to watch kdramas, I have noticed they do lots of historical dramas with very good quality. I have become a great fan of sageuks dramas and till now I really can't pass on one (well more or less). sceneries are very beautiful, fightings are very realistic and professional and OSTs are just perfect. I have watched Taiga before so many times but they did not have the same impact on me as sageuks. not only that, you have sageuks, fusion sageuks and Taeha. so many varieties to chose from.

one more thing I have noticed, Kdramas are BIG on human emotions and feelings. even though sometimes they do look so dramatised and cliche but if you are a romantic person wanting to watch some nice romance, you will be satisfied by the end of some of good ones. :wub:

one more reason, most of actors look old enough and mature enough for their part. even if they are the age you think they are. :P

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Sep 26th, '11, 18:03

Give me a sageuk without tragedy and 4/5 of the cast dying and I'll watch it. Yes, romance can be tragic, yes, period setting is good for those, but not every friggin' single time.
I just wish some sageuks would be more like SKKS (as far as I watched). Set in period setting, but without being overly weepy or about politics. Sageuk rom-coms anyone? :P
I feel they are limiting a very interesting and indeed, well done genre like sageuk when they all look all manner of depressing and are less about the couple and more about the setting.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Sep 26th, '11, 18:11

Hwang Jini, SKKS, Painter of the Wind, Jejoongwon, Chuno, Dae Jang Geum , Conspiracy In The Court, Joseon X Files, Return of Iljimae, Jung Yak Yong, Joseon Police, Medical Gibang Cinema, Yagsha...
See, saying that in every sageuk 4/5 of the cast dies or it's all about the tragedy is some kind of misunderstanding. And historical drama without any political plot or subplot is like a cheesecake without the cheese.

Issy

Post by Issy » Sep 26th, '11, 18:22

And they do rom-com sageuks too. Tamra island. Your Manhwa based rom-com sageuk. With the KID as a added bonus. :mrgreen:
Me sageuk addict. :wub:

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Sep 26th, '11, 18:42

Good to know cause the way they promote most of them, things look a bit too bleak.

Will have to find one with the least political stuff in it then. A happy one. I just don't agree with the cheesecake comparison.
You might like the politics, but politics isn't all there can or should be in period. Not everyone's life was about politics then either.

I understand it is an interesting topic, but it's also alienating audiences who would like the setting and a nice story, but don't like politics.

As for Tamra, I like that idea more and more. Will have to check it out sometime. And Chuno, no. You know why. HER. Can't stand her.

Even if I'm missing out on Oh Ji Ho all rugged and nekkid. Then again, can't gutter...

vasou

Post by vasou » Sep 26th, '11, 18:43

Question non-related to saeguks.
Can you recomment any drama like : Story of Man/Slingslot?

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Sep 26th, '11, 18:48

vasou

Post by vasou » Sep 26th, '11, 18:53

ok, sorry :sweat: and thanks

Issy

Post by Issy » Sep 26th, '11, 19:09

I have to admit, I am not up for political plot myself too. But as I love sageuks, I just put up with it. I do try to understand what is going on but end up confused, bored or furious due to storylines sometimes too. So I end up concentrating on my guys more. :mrgreen:
Again, as for Tamra island, it has a political plot that a 5 years old kid can solve. don't expect a serious storylines. It's a Manhwa after all. It's a light fun drama. It makes you smile. And its OST is great.

That reminds me, Kdramas have great OSTs too. :mrgreen:

Silverman

Post by Silverman » Sep 26th, '11, 22:24

Orion1986 wrote:Give me a sageuk without tragedy and 4/5 of the cast dying and I'll watch it. Yes, romance can be tragic, yes, period setting is good for those, but not every friggin' single time.
I just wish some sageuks would be more like SKKS (as far as I watched). Set in period setting, but without being overly weepy or about politics. Sageuk rom-coms anyone? :P
I feel they are limiting a very interesting and indeed, well done genre like sageuk when they all look all manner of depressing and are less about the couple and more about the setting.
"The Legend of Hyang Dan" is a sageuk romcom. With Choi Si Won in his first mainlead-role. The drama has just 2 episodes and is more on the comedyside. Not too great, but as we know, that there arent that much kdramas in this genre, so we cant be too picky...There are a lot more tw and c-dramas, which fit the bill...

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Sep 26th, '11, 22:59

Not a Choi person, but I can check it out. ^^

Also, another thing which is funny is when you can tell an actor was just in a period series by looking at their eyebrows. They have this specific shape they give the eyebrows of men.

Or maybe I just happened to see people with over-pruned eyebrows. But the shape is the same I see in some period shows so I guess it really is because they were in such a series.

vasou

Post by vasou » Sep 26th, '11, 23:16

What kind of eyebrows they have? I haven't really noticed.

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Sep 26th, '11, 23:45

It sometimes looks like the natural downward curve of the eyebrow on the sides near the temples is shaved and the eyebrow is "drawn" in an upwards fashion. Almost evil-looking.

Maybe they do it for evil characters? Or to make someone appear very cold or somehow cruel or something. Seen it in period characters and also i.e Gun Woo in Beethoven Virus.

And the Chairman in Myeong Wol also had that. His eyebrows just go up. Is this based on something, or are we gonna see Kame fashion in South Korea soon? Ahaha. Scary thought. :P

vasou

Post by vasou » Sep 27th, '11, 00:06

O, I see what you are talking about. Maybe they are just trying to make the eye look more evil. This is my guess.
At least they are not like Hyo Rim's in Scent of a Woman...
Damn, did I said that loud?

Issy

Post by Issy » Sep 27th, '11, 00:32

vasou wrote:O, I see what you are talking about. Maybe they are just trying to make the eye look more evil. This is my guess.
At least they are not like Hyo Rim's in Scent of a Woman...
Damn, did I said that loud?
:lol Thank you for saying this loud for me because they got on my nerve since SKKS. doesn't she has mirrors at home and why nobody is telling her about them? and it's not that they are hopelessly thin that they can't play around with them. simple plucking would do them wonders. :whistling: :mrgreen: