Title: 신기생뎐 / Shin Gisaeng Dyeon
Also known as: New Gisaeng Story
Genre: Romance, drama
Episodes: 52
Broadcast network: SBS
Broadcast period: 2011-Jan-23 to 2011-July-17
Air time: Saturday & Sunday 21:50

Plot:
New Tales of Gisaeng depicts the love, sadness and pain of people surrounding a gisaeng house, where only VIPs can enter.
Dan Sa Ran majored in classical dance while attending college. Her mother died when she was still young and her father remarried, bringing with him a new stepsister and a materialistic stepmother whom she has trouble warming up to. Sa Ran comes from a poor family, but she maintains her dignity around friends who come from rich families. Either fate or coincidence brings her together with Da Mo, to whom she feels an instant attraction, but her awareness of her poor background restrains her from voicing it. A head gisaeng at Buyongkak observes Sa Ran's natural beauty and grace as well as dancing talent, and recommends her to become a gisaeng.

Ah Da Mo takes business administration training at his father's company. He does not get along with his father, who is indifferent towards his family and only shows affection towards their pet dog. Da Mo is coccky and tends to look down on women, but begins to question his attitude when he meets Sa Ran by chance. He finds himself involuntarily drawn to her, and their relationship begins.

Cast

Dan family

Kim Joo Young as Dan Chul Soo
Lee Sook as Ji Hwa Ja
Im Soo Hyang as Dan Sa Ran
Baek Ok Dam as Dan Gong Joo

Geum family

Lee Dae Ro as Geum Shi Jo
Seo Woo Rim as Lee Hong Ah
Han Jin Hee as Geum Eo San
Lee Jong Nam as Jang Joo Hee
Han Hye Rin as Geum Ra Ra
Lee Dong Joon as Geum Kang San
Lee Sang Mi as Shin Hyo Ri

Ah family

Im Hyuk as Ah Soo Ra (oh gods, what a name!)
Kim Hye Jung as Cha Ra Ri
Sung Hoon as Ah Da Mo
Ahn Young Joo as Park Ae Ja

Buyongkak

Kim Bo Yun as Oh Hwa Ran
Kim Hye Sun as Han Soon Duk
Jung Han Bi as young Soon Duk
Choi Sun Ja as Hwa Ran's mother
Lee Mae Ri as Lee Do Hwa
Park Joon Myun as No Eun Ja
Seo Dong Soo as Ma Dan Se
Song Dae Kwan as Seo Saeng Kang
Oh Ki Chan (오기찬) as Oh Bong Yi
Kang Cho Hee as Han Song Yi
Kim Yul as Baek Soo Jung
Seol Yoon as Jang Soo Jin
Yoon Ji Eun as Song Hye Eun
SAT as Ye Rang
Lee Sun Ah as Lee Ji Hyang

Other people

Jun Ji Hoo as Son Ja
Jin Ye Sol as Jin Joo Ah
Lee Soo Jin as Sung Ah Mi
Park Yoon Jae as Oh Jin Ahm
Kim Ho Chang as Yoo Tae Young
Michael Blunck as Kyle
Shin Goo as Master Joong Bong
Min Joon Hyun as manager

Official Website

I think it's time for this drama to have separated topic. It's worth it.
Even though I'm afraid there will be 3 people at most writing here.
Last edited by Ethlenn on Jul 15th, '11, 18:11, edited 3 times in total.

shiofmedea

Post by shiofmedea » Mar 28th, '11, 19:13

I will be the second after you :D
I do not know how to move so I will just copy my last post from another list to start :cheers:

As for horse scene:
Keeping position is one thing, the main point is you do not ride horses when you are not clear-headed. Horses are very sensible creatures. This is why at some point he said that his father ordered him to ride when he was young and rebelious. To ride when you are not keeping emotion on hold is asking for trouble. They can sense it. So maybe if all around are aware of this fact it's nice way to make point of his internal war But I thought it will be something less subtle if it was part of highlights.
I must say I agree with his logic and actions to some point. The reason to break up is valid, breaking at this point resonable (avoiding deeper involving if there is no point I would say is even noble and unexpected given orginal reasons and actions), even way of doing it make sense I would go for a kill too. Not only on impulse but after deep thinking as well. Think this way: I give true reason, that mean I need to explain myself, which is long, painful and is puting me in bad light too. Additionally it is insulting to the other side on even deeper level as not only her but her all family is seen as not good enough. Even if she is aware of it it still hurts deep. I would prefer to be said that I was too hard to get so dumped then I not match with my partner background in my eyes! And frankly speaking sorry but family is important in terms of long time relationship. This is exactly why even if it is fun to watch rich guy/poor girl (or other way) drama it will not work in 99% of real cases. If you can't show yours in-low to your family as you are dying from embarasment, sorry but where is the point? And your other half will be happy about it? Even if you do nor care there is something like social presure which is hard to avoid even in western culture. Pity looks are the best you will get.. and the worse to stand, too. So bravo to authers, somebody is thinking here. not for long I'm afraid, stereotypes are not to be avoid in the end Younger sister thing is still stupid, more like companion for parents and in fact it is what he was going to propose at the end fancy title he gave it. Putting it this way make more sense maybe if it is common in this kind of enviroment he is living in. I would say no, it seems like XIX England but I do not know, maybe someone has more insight here.
BTW I know I have very bad character but deep inside I would be thinkig that there is oportunity there is possibility.. I AM bad person :evil: Bad people have more fun so why not :whistling:

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Mar 28th, '11, 19:34

Well, I know, I was riding horses when I was younger, much, much younger.
He was clearly out of his mind when he was riding, he is such skilled in this, so... But I really was afraid they will go for amnesia thingy. And I would hate them for that. Fortunately, he's no pansy, and writers think (usually), so no.

And another thing I liked in their relationship - the clear point of ending, this is why Ah Damo ended. Dan Saran is not a typical girl either, she was hurt, true, but she has her pride also. Not just a naive girl easy to forgive anything and cry with happines "her prince will be with her forever and ever".

And you got a strong point here. The family background is a really important thing. We may overlook it in our desire to "be free" (egalite, blah blah), but in fact only compatible people may create some serious relationship. Compatible also in terms of families. If you decide on living with someone for the rest of your life, you need to know his/her family. No other choice. Of course one may proudly reject in-laws, but in the same time this very move may hurt the spouse.

And I'm really waiting for more Dan Saran - Buyonggak relationship.

Plus, I never expected they will let Grandpa die. Seriously, I was in shock for some time...

shiofmedea

Post by shiofmedea » Mar 28th, '11, 20:00

I still ride from time to time now as I do not have time and oportunity in Paris (equipment too). But I'm not that good :cry: But to do things like he you need special training and your own or regular (still trained) horse. I'm not loaded enough :lol
And he has nohing to forget, too early I think, it would not fit.. I would be veery suprised. And him paralised, She is not nurse to fit in role, nobody is. But there are doctors here... hmm... idea for future, eh?

I wonder if she will fit.. I can't see her as dorm-fitting character. But he would serve well, that I agree. On side as I understand difference between this activity and simple companion service it is still a little on gray side of social approved position. Some people even see regular actors as not let say best choice of partners, it is risky position if you consider any relationship in future.

Them both! How they could? In fact I was more interested to some level in oldest generation then any other characters here. They were interesting, fun to observe and good actors too. It helps as some blocking point or slowing down discovery of Sa Ran true background but still. Did that new author kill them?

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Mar 28th, '11, 20:21

Yes, Ah Damo's Grandma and Rara's Grandpa. Both are dead.

And I really liked them. I like older actors in here. Especially Kim Bo Yun as Oh Hwa Ran. Such an elegant lady. But it's easy to sense a goddes of vengeance from her...

shiofmedea

Post by shiofmedea » Mar 28th, '11, 20:35

O yes, she would fit for a queen easly, this aura is incredible, even whan she is serving in a sence she holds a court here.
What they overdid are those guys there, I think. Comic relief maybe but I do not see much point right now. The old lady (old, old I mean who visited I do not remember name) is on the other hand interesting person with some inside view which can be explored in future I suppose even more.

What I like here is that generaly not one character is so simple here and reactions are not what we usually know and expect from previous drama-watching experience. So refreshing! People think here and reflect on their action and consequences (to some point but for drama level, wow above most of them)

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Apr 3rd, '11, 12:22

Well, this drama is pretty heavy on other side, so some comic relief wouldn't hurt. And I don't mind it although I hate the ex-gigolo's guts, I really do.

So, Saran finally is approaching Buyonggak as gisaeng apprentice-to-be... Oh, Damo, why are you being such a rational jerk??! I can't even cuss him, cause his way of thinking is logical and everything makes sense. Damn!!

And I like how Rara's grandma is copying with her husband death. The actress is great. In first 15 episodes she was lively, bustling, almost like a teenager, and now she's dimmed, pensive. And Rara's real parents, I especially like the mother, she may be annoying, but in the same time she cares deeply and almost blindly for Rara.

shiofmedea

Post by shiofmedea » Apr 3rd, '11, 20:11

ghrr! I want subtitles! or I need to start next 2 languages (Korean and Chinese) and I'm not good with 2 I'm learning right now (Japanese and French). They argue and I have no idea what about (ok I have idea but I need details! :cussing: ).
I officialy start my own Damo fun club. He is logical to the end and not to be swell by any emotions. Even here he keeps his course to marry according to expectation. Wow and wow, my admiration is growing. And he is doing it not for some pseudomasohistic reasons (and his heart is breaking but it is for some greater good, ghrr! how much of it you can stand :roll ) but for matrialistic calculation. Who upgrated IQ level for script authors? congratulation! Only way to change his mind is to upgrade her status, so middle level of our cast must work hard on find-recognize-not make it scandal-reunion process. But to this point they will thorn themself and other one to pieces.. or mature more, pride is not always best way.. I'm so looking forward to it.
Hm.. I just hope his part of family was not playing on side, too many blood realtions here already :lol
BTW he is very pressistent SOB, really you can love him or kill him but hard to ignore :wub:

Saran had some wake-up call too, I think. Knowing is one thing, to expirience is another. She did not look happy after dance and explanation when receiving money. And this is only begining. I do not know reality in Korea but I think she should rethink her decission. The owner is right that she is there for wrong reason so she will never be dedicated enough to shine. She can be good but it is not what this kind of proffesion is about, it is call not 8h job. Her coworkers will not like her for her distance (Damo is not helping here for sure too).

This ex gigolo uh I can't stand this guy, what he is still doing there? He do not fit.

Does Rara biological mother not wake up too late? I'm not convinced by her dramatic. I feel money in background still not deep emotion. She was ok so long and now vulcano of feelings, yeh, sure! Father is more emotionaly involved here for me (both but I mean doctor here). What I can understand is her mother. She is right in her decission, even if it is cruel for Ra ra.

Subtle parts are still lost on me till I see some reports or subtitles, I hate waiting

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Apr 3rd, '11, 20:45

Oh, and I thought I was alone with my admiration for Damo's character, keke^^

Today's episode left me speechless. I need to rewatch everything from Damo's grandma's death and ponder over it a bit. Maybe this is why this drama doesn't have tons of screaming fangirls and flood of screenshots taken? There are no kyyaa-ing matters here as well. There are no vain teenagers but struggling young women (ok, Rara is vain, but in the same time she was hurt lately), no cutey bastards but a guy who happen to fell in love with a very peculiar woman. And this very love drives him mad. Well, in his own style.
Saran is also not that typical protagonist. She's not crying over a kiss (or missed kiss). I really admire her resolution and iron will. Even though she's paying high price for it.

Oh, and I forgot to add - Rara's dad and Son Ja in the last scene...
is he his father??

shiofmedea

Post by shiofmedea » Apr 3rd, '11, 21:08

Seems so, he had his picture earlier, as I understood from some detective guy (or searching agency, whatever). And discussion on phone was about him. That he was rised by grandmother fit a story as well.
Iron will is good but sometimes person need to stop and evaluate. I stand that it is wrong decission. OK it make sense from plot point of wiev - they need her here to meet mother, drive Da mo crazy, drive audience crazy :lol and make a lot nice turns in story but from logical point of view decission is still bad. Thsi is why I love Da mo part - he is pure logic so far.

I wander if all above should be spoiler but we are alone here :scratch: No more fans? Fact, no cute, well known guys here (from popular bands for example) but story IS good.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Apr 3rd, '11, 22:26

Well, if we are alone on this one, maybe we should just drop the spoilers, yes. No more fans... Oh well, I'm used to raving all alone, keke...
About that crazy part - they are on good tracks to drive us crazy. I'm still shaken after what happened on the riverbank...

Oh, and I love how Saran looks in ceremonial, dancing hanbok. It's just an epitome of prettiness.

shiofmedea

Post by shiofmedea » Apr 3rd, '11, 22:52

If you understood all I envy you, I must wait a bit :cry:

BTW he is better as closed one, this running was a little off. But shore scene, was well acted, better on her part but he was good too.

Camera work is good in those parts, isn't it? They make it magical expirience. I'm afraid it will be disapointment in real life. I had it with geisha- show it was still great but not to this level I was expecting.. or maybe I was not in the best house, I'm not milioner sadly. But I'm reading guide book on Korea right now and maybe this year I will see it on my own eyes, yey! Still not sure becouse I would prefer going in spring and I can't this year so only autum remains.

shiofmedea

Post by shiofmedea » Apr 4th, '11, 21:52

I went through rough translation and now I'm speachless. But still on Damo side. But I will try put my thoughts in order.
If it will go down this way, they created the monster. Head lady is calculating, clever and good people-reaader but mature and still have some compasion. I do not see SaRan to be able to keep it the moment she will go too far. From main point of view after that display on shore and all her reactions before I would not keep her. I know that generaly she is interpreted as shy, introverted person but her determination is on border with obessivness. She is immature too. One man made mistake, so what? In fact his conduct was rather normal and he said to not expect more. So stuff it and go live a little. The way she is behaving here is like he.. I do not know.. raped her, make child, put her though abortion and killed half of family.. ok I went a bit too far, she could do it for every single action but my point is, she is punishing herself and I was never fan of masochistic act myself. It not logical too. If she thinks so low of him it means that she will not punish him this way becouse bad guy will not care. After this display I would not care! Lashing out for being hurt is normal but wow.. I would call it even. And 10 score to her. I keep seeing child doing something uncomfortable and dangerous just to oposite parents. I liked her character but this is spiraling to far too dark level. I admire (platonic way :lol ) Damo but he is not worth it, nobody is! Too make it some kind of vendetta after not wise choice (on her side he did not drag her sreeming and kicking) of man is overkill. And I saw her as wise beyond her age! Sorry, the guy have issue, she saw it, he even told her about his background, she was expecting miracle? With such father as example? With this money to back him up? With obedient mother? Sorry he is still far, far better then anybody should expect (still bad candidate for romance for sure). He is chalenge, very special chalenge, and if you are not up too it you should blame yourself only. And this hair-clip thing. This is plain stupid. She want to have it as reminder to not belive in guys any more? AND she wants him to leave her alone? I was told that I think as a guy many times, so I do not know what girl would think if it is true but somebody please find me person who would not think "hey, she want somethink from me to remeber, she like me!" I WOULD THINK SO! And my ego is so small compere to DaMo's. So think about consequences girl and blame yourself afterwards. I'm all for clever and cold revange but this is cruel and stupid and childlish. I'm against violence but I can't blame him I had temper too, I wouldn't go with slap only I'm afraid (but I'm not a guy so..) I so hope she will not end as head of House, her subordinates would suffer.
Ok so I went with amunition on her now is his part.
Hmm.. I can't think about anything. Who is writing it? Man or woman? I would like to have some guy to confirm it for me but I can't find flow in script and his acting (except running but let's say he is still young, BTW he is like what 27 or something? OK people are doing crazy things too old age) Shore scene was good, he did not overreacted, I was impressed. It matched verbal battle well. Him drinking and inviting friends to pay for her, I so see myself doing it that it scary. Not strange that my friends say I'm immature and revengeful and crazy. Without drinking part for me but to my once again deep admiration he is for once not totaly drunk second he is taking driver :wub: I love this guy to pieces, my hero!!!

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Apr 8th, '11, 13:31

No time to write, so just:
Interview cut, 2011-04-07
:wub:

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Apr 10th, '11, 13:12

Added new pictures:
New pics from press conference and off-shoot

Still, sad that it wasn't the full cast, eh...

shiofmedea

Post by shiofmedea » Apr 14th, '11, 09:57

I'm speechless. :pale: How he could do it to me !!! :cussing:
Need time to calm my emotions

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Apr 20th, '11, 21:30

I admire Damo's resolution. I freaking worship the guy! :mrgreen:

We're in the middle of the series, over so many bumps, but lots and lots ahead.
And I already fear the day it will end. I invested too much emotionally in it :whistling:

shiofmedea

Post by shiofmedea » Apr 23rd, '11, 20:28

He is beyond stubborn that for sure. The man do not know the phrase "give up". But his parents will not be happy, not after their speculation about doughter of that bank or that corporation. He will have hard time. I'm only surprise how tame he can be.. but not anymore, I understand

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » May 3rd, '11, 14:10

Oh fuuuuuuuuuck!!

How am I supposed to be mentally stable?? And when I thought Saran accepted Damo's feelings!! That old fart, that... Oh damn, she's using this old man to push back Damo, fuuuck!!
Saturday, ppalli!!!
What I really hope is Dohwa and Rara helping Damo in his situation. I don't know, maybe some heavy blow on Saran's head?

Two pics that made me laugh and aww in the episode 30:

This is how you deal with your husband's affair and his illegitimate kid news:
Sonja is just too good to be true. I mean, how many characters like him are in the dramas?
And as the last thought - I can't quite figure Lee Dohwa. She's full of surprises.

SALVATORE ADAMO:
<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/HbF8HszsfEM" frameborder="0"></iframe>

bigrazorsis

Post by bigrazorsis » May 6th, '11, 01:46

Can I just say thanks for uploading this one, ethlenn. I don't usually start watching a drama until the whole season has been downloaded and I have all the subs, but I somehow clicked on that first episode early on, and got hooked by the little noona dancing with the burglar to Wooly Bully. Now, I'm compulsively clicking on a certain mediafire folder every week, praying for the subs to be completed so I can get my Da Mo fix on.

Love it, love it, love it. Proper grown up show with some fantastic grown up actors.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » May 6th, '11, 07:48

Uhm... it's not me who is uploading this drama, I provide only some extra goodies (more on the blog though).
This is definitely one of the most underrated dramas of 2011, and as you said, a grown up show with actors who can deliver. There is not a one week performance in here.
And yes, that dance and her chasing the burglar afterwards... I had to stop the show to laugh hysterically. :mrgreen:

As for now, one wallie. This weekend will make more, and post them, as everything, on the blog (yes, pics as well):
my skills are not at their best, but I couldn't resist.
The last drama I made a wallie was Secret Garden. Sadly, I could never go beyond 12 episodes of it, and my interest vanished quickly. Now I'm waiting for Ep 31 and I can't sleep. I guess the reason is obvious.

Out of boredom I'm rewatching 3 last episodes, and I want the same hair jewelry as Dohwa has:

dirah

Post by dirah » May 7th, '11, 17:00

I love that drama, but I'm freaking out! If Sa Ran marry that old looking man I will definitely stop watching this. I gotta save my health sanity.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » May 7th, '11, 17:13

I can't help but like Rara more and more. The way she looked at Damo in today's episode when
he was begging, all broken, was almost as heartwrenching as his voice.
I hope Saran will be stopped. If she starts dating that guy, I hope she could get what the other girl got - beating and getting expelled. Gisaeng marriage, on the other hand...
Oh how I wish something would happen and her connection to Dr. Geum could be revealed!!

And even though I can understand her thoughts, I'm all against. She wants Damo to meet with a girl on his level (better - on his parents' level), regardless of his own will and desires. She wants him to live happily, but this renders him broken and burned out.
It's better to accept the challenge and face the difficulties together, than just cover them with another plan and pretending they're not here. Damo wants to remove the problems, and Saran wants to avoid them.
Oh damn...

Sham26

Post by Sham26 » May 7th, '11, 17:23

I ll catch up with this beauutiiiful drama soon yeah soon!
"Tombo la neige" I first heared it in the drama , looked for it, and started listening to it ! I love that song ! Love it :wub: :wub: !
Off the topic, dont mind my comment please ! :pale:

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » May 7th, '11, 17:27

Why off the topic? I don't mind you, dear, especially when you have such a nice ava, keke...

This song is haunting, and it fitted the first encounter with Damo so well. Both him and Saran were like snow - untouched and cold.
Plus, this is really sad song...

Sham26

Post by Sham26 » May 7th, '11, 20:40

Oh thank u Ethlenn , oh yeah my ava , isnt the cutest photo ever ?
The song is so sad , and yah it fits perfectly ! Ah Damo and Salvatore Adamo haha !

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » May 7th, '11, 20:48

Yeah, many people were making jokes out of his name already, even when he started to work in Buyonggak, keke...
BTW. added OST part 4, it's the same song as in part 2, but different version. When part 5 will be out, I will combine all of them in one folder^^
Damn, the music in this drama is great.

Be here more often, dear :mrgreen:

jubies33

Post by jubies33 » May 8th, '11, 02:44

I am loving this drama so much!! it has been so long since i have had this addictive feeling. It had to be a currently airing drama now i can't stand the wait. Ethienn it is all your fault for recommending this drama (just kidding i am really thankful actually). This is truly one of the best I have seen. If Da Mo and Sa Ran don't end up happily ever I am going to go apeshit! Please don't marry that old man Sa Ran pretty please. I can't wait to see Da Mo lose it. I am expecting more tears. The last 5 or six episodes have been so heartwrenching. I can't wait to see what happens next.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » May 8th, '11, 07:59

I'm glad you like it. I hope this will get more recognition, because it's worth it.

Yes, it does have some birth secrets, as malcontents may say and mock. I say - so freaking what? Does knowing who's who lessen the pleasure of watching this?

And one more thing to fumble over - Damo's parents. I seriously don't know who's the worst. His mother is an idiot (sure, she comes from a wealthy family, so she can't get Saran's situation), and she can't fathom neither her own son or the thinking of the woman he loves.
His father is a tyrant with no feelings whatsoever. I'm not sure he cried over his mother's death because he had any feelings, but it seemed to me that he cried because HE was left alone. I just want to say sometimes: Andre, kill them in their sleep!

Issy

Post by Issy » May 8th, '11, 12:57

I was going to watch this drama but got sidetracked. :mrgreen:
now I have decided to start dling again. I looked through May dramas and there is nothing that I like to watch (may sounds strange with all the buzz I read in other threads about May :whistling:) so I hope this one keeps me entertained.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » May 8th, '11, 15:06

As I hoped, Rara is on Damo's side, but...

While waiting for today's episode, screenshots from yesterday's:
On the happier note, I like the way each character is changing, they show it in a very natural and explanable way. Not just - boom! - and they are different persons.
Damo aside, Rara is changing so much, I wasn't sure I liked her in the first episodes, but the things that has happened to her turned her into different person.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » May 13th, '11, 20:32

Issy

Post by Issy » May 13th, '11, 20:47

Hahaha I was just about to do that because that scene was just hilarious and I kept repeating it. :mrgreen:

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » May 13th, '11, 20:54

True, I kept ep 1 for over month on my HD, just because I'm slow and didn't think of cutting the scene.
It's not HD though, so if you Issy cut it in HD, I will be more than glad to grab it. Can't find HanSun 720 files for first episodes... sniff...

esmer86
Upload Addict
Upload Addict

Post by esmer86 » May 13th, '11, 21:21

I was hoping to start watching this one soon but it seems like there are no completed subs. I could use the ones from DSS but the progress isnt going very well. Debating if I should start downloading them now and watch them later. I was planning on watching this one when it first started but when it comes to me it usually never go as expected :glare:

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » May 13th, '11, 21:23

PMed you, dear^^

Issy

Post by Issy » May 13th, '11, 21:48

Ethlenn wrote:True, I kept ep 1 for over month on my HD, just because I'm slow and didn't think of cutting the scene.
It's not HD though, so if you Issy cut it in HD, I will be more than glad to grab it. Can't find HanSun 720 files for first episodes... sniff...
will look for HD version and give you the dl link as soon as i am done. :P (unless you find me links to HD version which will make my life easier :mrgreen: )

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » May 13th, '11, 21:51

Our dwr here uploads NToG in 720 HANrel, so it's here on DA.
I, on the other hand, collect this drama in HanSun release (well, I managed to download it from ep 22 onward in this version), just because it's smaller (around 1 Gb).
I will try to organize something soon, to keep every link stored in a right place, but right now I'm in the middle of hell.

Issy

Post by Issy » May 13th, '11, 21:58

Ethlenn wrote:Our dwr here uploads NToG in 720 HANrel, so it's here on DA.
I, on the other hand, collect this drama in HanSun release (well, I managed to download it from ep 22 onward in this version), just because it's smaller (around 1 Gb).
I will try to organize something soon, to keep every link stored in a right place, but right now I'm in the middle of hell.
:scratch: NOT HANrel and not avi (not for ep1 atlaest). unless I am too sleepy to see it. :sleeping:

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » May 13th, '11, 22:02

Uhm... you're right, it's Spider... brr...
I'm too sleepy right now, I will organize everything tomorrow, while waiting at the edge of the sanity for episode 33...

Issy

Post by Issy » May 13th, '11, 22:15

Ethlenn wrote:Uhm... you're right, it's Spider... brr...
I'm too sleepy right now, I will organize everything tomorrow, while waiting at the edge of the sanity for episode 33...
take your time, I'm very sleepy too and I have work tomorrow. and Sunday is my lazy day. :mrgreen:

siamjm

Post by siamjm » May 13th, '11, 23:09

would anyone be able to walk me through downloading episodes? I love to help and I do have extra time to download episodes. I do not have the capabilities of subbing the episodes to English.
Thank you so much.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » May 14th, '11, 09:59

Truthfully, I have no idea what you mean.

OK, I created folders in which I will store torrents:
This way!
So far, almost all HanSun eps of Gisaeng (almost), will ad HANrel 720 later.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » May 14th, '11, 18:43

Oh, jeezas, all the saints, hell legions and asuras... :fight: :flamed:
How, I mean... how...

esmer86
Upload Addict
Upload Addict

Post by esmer86 » May 17th, '11, 21:34

I just saw the first what...3/4 minutes of the first episode and started out laughing! Im watching this now. From the previous posts I can just feel like this one is going to take me on for a ride! :lol

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » May 17th, '11, 22:42

Laugh while you can. Soon, you will start cursing :mrgreen:

But I'm partially heppey for ep 34^^. Now all is left is to kill Damo's father and Saran's step-mother. Oh damn, how I hate them. Congrats to actors who made them so despicable.

jubies33

Post by jubies33 » May 18th, '11, 03:48

I agree. It's a testament to good acting that makes me hate them so much. I am ready to jump into the screen and ...... leave that to your vivid imaginations. I feel so sorry for Da Mo. gonna go cry now :cry:

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » May 21st, '11, 12:02

In the show lately (Midnight Entertainment) they had the comparison of actresses voices (low voices), and our beautiful Saran won^^
Of course, it is accompanied by the (almost) whole cast interviews, wahahahaa!!

Cut by yours truly is here (*goes to sober up from happiness*)
Small version. Wait a bit for a regular, bigger one :mrgreen:
Bigger version is here^^

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » May 31st, '11, 10:14

According to AGB Nielsen Media Research on the 30th, "New Gisaeng Story" rated 20.2% on national average.
This is 1.7% more than the previous episode. It rated more than 20% and became fist place out of all dramas in its time.Assa!!
Finally!! Something moved for Saran!! Ahahaha!!!

Issy

Post by Issy » Jun 5th, '11, 16:50

surprisingly enjoying this drama (for now). character's lines and conversations are very realistic and normal and I find myself watching every minute (well mostly, as I lose my interest when it comes to gisaeng house staff sometimes) of each ep. I know the time will come when I have to cringe my teeth and shout in anger to my screen over how the story develops, but I hope it won't be as such as to lose my interest in NTOG completely.

I still believe that Damo actor can't act though. he is there only for his physic. otherwise they would not put a huge poster of his packs on the wall. and the fact that it is in his own room, makes it even more weird and freaky.
as for Saran, as much as I like her character, I do think that she is portrayed too perfect and innocent. I like to see her with some flaws. will make her more human. like all other characters.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Jun 5th, '11, 17:18

Ladies and gents
prepare tissues for the wedding!! Oh how I love weddings in family dramas!!

Issy

Post by Issy » Jun 8th, '11, 08:58

That B*****d Ah Damo :cussing: :cussing: :cussing:
poor Grandma and Granddad :cry: :cry:

I see those doom days are coming my way. :crazy:

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Jun 8th, '11, 19:41

Hmm... I could never call him that. Fact, he's a bit too b*tchy sometimes, but in fact he's one of the most reasonable characters in dramas. Wait till you see him crumble... Oh damn...

Issy

Post by Issy » Jun 9th, '11, 00:32

Ethlenn wrote:Hmm... I could never call him that. Fact, he's a bit too b*tchy sometimes, but in fact he's one of the most reasonable characters in dramas. Wait till you see him crumble... Oh damn...
I think so too but last night he did make me think of him as such :mrgreen:

Issy

Post by Issy » Jun 9th, '11, 16:25

please tell me something horrible and nasty will happen to Saran's step mother so I can watch how she is treating Saran with less :cussing: :cussing: :cussing:
it's turning into New Tale of Cinderella :crazy:
two people totally changed my mind about them, RaRa and Saran's sister (she is so cute). they both seemed nasty at first but they're just apposite their first impression :P t

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Jun 9th, '11, 16:36

I liked Gongju from the start, she was a bit reserved and not approachable, but she's just cute. Plus, her interactions with Sonja are priceless^^
And I expected a lot of nasty things from Rara, but she behaved totally different to what I expected. And this is a proof of writer's great sense of writing. Rara is in fact, one of those normal characters. Yes, she was kind of hurt after Damo treated her the way he did, but her anger for Saran just disappeared quickly. I really do love the reality of this drama.

As for Saran's step-mother. I hate her. I hate her with all my might. And funny thing, the actress that plays her, is in interviews very nice and warm person.
Last edited by Ethlenn on Jun 9th, '11, 17:04, edited 1 time in total.

Issy

Post by Issy » Jun 9th, '11, 16:44

to be honest, Gongju character was a bit confusing at first. you could easily see there was not much love between two sisters. but somehow, she suddenly turned into this very cute loving sister and now I totally love and adore her and sohnJa and what a cute couple they make.
and Saran's leaving home scenes? it is so emotional :cry:

OK, off to see more, need some deep calming before I have face the evil step-mother again. :cussing:

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Jun 11th, '11, 23:15

I just really hope no weird ball would come Damo and Saran's way. Really...
Wondering what that ajumma said to Saran when she was with Damo in the acupuncture place.

Plus, I'm not sure I like the situation with Buyonggak - I mean Rara's "mother" being the president of it. Woman should just gtfo.

Issy

Post by Issy » Jun 12th, '11, 23:38

as I normally do my sneaking through newly dled ep, I could not stop laughing at the scene where Damo's dad gets jealous because his wife likes Jang Hyuk and she has to watch his drama (Midas I persumed :P)
going back to where I left off. doom and gloomy days. still, have not fallen for Damo and I don't think I will. I think is something to do with his eyes. not my type of eyes. Sohn Ja is cute enough though. :wub:

ps. the ghost scenes were pretty spooky :pale: :pale: :pale: could not believe my eyes :faint:

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Jun 14th, '11, 22:11

Yes, it was Midas.

The apparition scared the living crap out of me. This lady materialized so suddenly I wasn't prepared for it, and... I mean, damn, who is she? Plus the lady that wispered to Saran at acupuncture place... They better not mess up with newlyweds or I'm gonna curse them for eternity.
But then, the ghost lady smiled when seeing Damo and Saran, so maybe that was some kind of a blessing?

Oh man, I love this drama to bits!

Issy

Post by Issy » Jun 14th, '11, 23:31

I am on ep30 now (not much left to catch up but then I have to wait for subs :-( )
I am totally watching this for sohn Ja and Gongju now. :mrgreen: they are my main couple. the intended main couple are getting on my nerve for some reasons. specially Saran. :crazy:

when the director told her "don't act as you are a posh person", it was like he took those words right out of my mouth. That's exactly what has been bothering me with Saran's character from day 1. I know they wanted to show that is in her genes what back ground she is coming from and it is quiet obvious that she is different, but I see it as too cliche. Rara is brought up in that environment and she is not acting as half posh as Saran. specially now that she knows the whole truth. she is even became more modest. as I sad before, Saran's character is written just too perfect to be true.

oh, and I do find director's voice is just so irresistible. I liked him from Kim Sooro. he can talk for ever and I'll be in :faint:
:mrgreen:

Issy

Post by Issy » Jun 20th, '11, 15:27

wow, I feel that I am the only one watching this drama. I know I am NOT. :P

OK, I am on ep40 now and I think I am almost sure that Saran x Ahdamo couple are not the one I am watching this drama for. in simple words, I got bored of them. as I wrote in other thread, it gives me the feeling of watching one ofour daily soap dramas here in UK. not to mention that I got tired of Saran's constant miserable face. she is one pretty girl but her miserable face is making me miserable too. :crazy: I know she is having tough times and has lots on her plate to deal face but even now that she got what she wants, it's still more or less the same expression.

and the extra nutritional informations that they give when ever cooking, making this drama looks more like a documentary with a hint of drama.

I think this drama would have been great if it was 30 something ep. there are lots of repetitive storyline going on. but Rara's storyline is getting better and keeps you entertained. same as Sohn Ja and GongJu

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Jun 20th, '11, 17:16

Saran gets relaxed after the wedding. She's plotting, keke^^

You're right, I'm watching, but hardly had any time to write, eh...

Issy

Post by Issy » Jun 20th, '11, 17:23

Ethlenn wrote:Saran gets relaxed after the wedding. She's plotting, keke^^

You're right, I'm watching, but hardly had any time to write, eh...
Yep, I saw her plotting. But it's too late for me. I have changed ship already. She is starting to get on my neves. :mrgreen:

Issy

Post by Issy » Jun 21st, '11, 22:40

me again :mrgreen:

OMG, would somebody please please please shut Saran up as she goes on and on about vitamin A-Z when ever she is serving meals. :cussing: is like giving lessons to school kids. adding nutritional expert to her CV making her character reach the super human level. I wonder if there is something she can't do or any other noble personality she has not achieved yet.

this drama is going no where and its pace getting slower by each ep
Introduction of the ghost makes no sense in whole over story and takes it out of whatever its genre suppose to be. it does not even serve a comic relief.
I take back what I wrote in previous post. this drama would have been more entertaining if it was 20ep drama.
ps. why do I get the feeling that ADM going to die by the end?

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Jun 21st, '11, 22:50

I think you got Saran's behavior wrong. She's doing this just to irritate Damo's father. This is why she's talking about vitamins and stuff but only referring to Damo's mother food. Plus, the same situation was in Life is Beautiful as well, in the culinary show - they talked about nutritional facts as well, and I never found that boring. What's wrong with learning something from a drama?

I guess our expectations towards dramas are different, because every episode entertains me on the highest level, and never dissapointed me so far.

Issy

Post by Issy » Jun 21st, '11, 23:05

Ethlenn wrote:I think you got Saran's behavior wrong. She's doing this just to irritate Damo's father. This is why she's talking about vitamins and stuff but only referring to Damo's mother food. Plus, the same situation was in Life is Beautiful as well, in the culinary show - they talked about nutritional facts as well, and I never found that boring. What's wrong with learning something from a drama?

I guess our expectations towards dramas are different, because every episode entertains me on the highest level, and never dissapointed me so far.
It's all matter of different taste dear. :whistling:
ps. no one said there is anything wrong with learning something from drama. but feeding information like this, it can get annoying. but of course, that's in my personal opinion.

won't be complaining any more anyway. the drama has lost its magic for me. but I have come this far, have to see how it ends.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Jul 2nd, '11, 22:01

I just love this show, every freaking minute of it. And when it ends, I'm like "What? Already been an hour??" I loved how Damo incited his mother to flame up to his father, I just had to staop to laugh out loud. I like how Gongju is slowly realizing Sonja's feelings, and how realistically they portray Korean-foreigner relations.

I know I will miss this show in 2 weeks. And I know I will be giving a single ovation after it ends. Something I did after Family's Honor ended, and something I didn't after QSD's end.

Issy

Post by Issy » Jul 3rd, '11, 21:27

I originally intended for my previous post to be my last ever post in this thread but I as I am still watching this drama to the end, I might as well add my final thoughts. Of course it has not ended yet but with recent ghost appearance, I am 100% sure that I will not be surprised or change my mind at whatever the writer decides to throw my way. 

1st of all, I feel cheated by the title of this drama. I thought  I was watching "the new tale of gisaeng".  Did not know i will be following a heroin tale wanting to get married, get pregnant and spending her whole life cooking food and serving it to her in laws for rest of her life because That's what have been happening actually for past 10 eps. Of course there is nothing wrong with wanting such life. But to call it   a new tale of gisaeng is misleading. 

I can't deny the fact that I quiet liked the drama at first. It  was entertaining and engaging. Liked the cliche love story  with its all added drama and tension even though storyline kept getting recycled over and over. But SR x DM life got boring as they got married. 

Maybe I was wrong in expecting too much out of this drama ( honestly, with title like this I think everyone might have a same expectations as mine). I still stand strong on my what I think here. Had it been a 20ep drama, it would have been one of really good ones. Not the best but really one  good drama.  

I will write my positive thoughts so people don't think I am negatively biased towards this drama. 

I totally liked most of characters. The evil ones and the good ones. I liked the acting (with one major exception) and thought young actors did great job portraying their characters. The whole concept of the drama is something new.  The element of entwining past and present was a clever idea. Loved all those pretty customs and wished to have one for a first time. 

But here where it comes my total disappointment.  
The most important disappointment came from throwing a ghost story in the middle of this chaos. WTH? I really don't know what the writer was thinking at that time. This is NOT Secret Garden or 49 Days type of drama so any ghost appearance would be a normal thing to see.  And just incase you were not so shocked by a ghost possessing SR's body, the ghost lady appears again, carry him out of crushed car to the safety. I tell you, I would not be surprised if I see some green aliens coming down from the space and start working as gisaeng (it seems a very normal thing to do these days in Korea if you start feeling unloved and sad) by the end. Maybe it is their "new tale". 

Coming to characters subject, even though I liked most of characters most of the time, in one point or another they were confusing. They kept changing from bad to good with not much obvious reasons for this changes. Rara's real mom & dad,  GongJu at very beginning. 

As I said before, I am totally watching this drama for its secondary characters. For Rara, GJ and SJ. These three are just such delight to watch. 

As for the main leads,  I think I have expressed my feelings in my previous posts enough. I just hope one thing and I know there is no point of hoping so because it will happen again and again in the future.
 I hope when they choose an actor for the first time, they look at his acting ability first before his body and how many packs he got. In any case, I know it's a wishful thinking or hoping to be precise. 

I am sorry if this was such a long post to read. I guess I just got carried away. At the end of day, it's a matter of different taste and different opinions and above were my personal opinions about the drama and I tried not to get into message(s) or lessons they wanted us to get. 
Please let me know if I need to add spoiler tags.
Last edited by Issy on Aug 22nd, '12, 19:56, edited 1 time in total.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Jul 11th, '11, 10:24

Although the ghost is useless, I find this drama damn entertaining and warm till the end.
I like how Damo's father is acting now towards Saran^^

And this scene just cracked me up:

toenail

Post by toenail » Jul 23rd, '11, 02:55

Anyone can tell me where to download the soft subs?

Searched but not found, forgive me if it's been posted somewhere. I haven't read this thread thoroughly because whenever I read a thread about a drama that I haven't watched, I always end up not watching it!

Issy

Post by Issy » Jul 23rd, '11, 08:12

Google my dear! Google is the answer to most of your questions. If you google viki soft subs for this drama you will definitely find it. :mrgreen:

esmer86
Upload Addict
Upload Addict

Post by esmer86 » Jul 23rd, '11, 16:33

Downloading the HanSun batch. Twice I tried to get this show and both times I lost the files :cussing: Excited to watch this one because of everyones lovely comments about this drama. :P

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Jul 23rd, '11, 18:01

After many turns and bumps on the road, many WTF moments, the last episode left me all fuzzy and warm inside. I thought that maybe it is true that fate works in mysterious ways. And I think it's perhaps first drama in which Korean marries non-Korean and their relationship and growing family is shown.
I have no complaints, not to the staff, not to the actors, not to the screenplay.
As for me, it was a beautiful, meaningful drama. Thank you.

To all: this is a family drama, don't like the settings - don't watch and don't complain. You've been warned.

Issy

Post by Issy » Jul 23rd, '11, 22:29

Ethlenn wrote:To all: this is a family drama, don't like the settings - don't watch and don't complain. You've been warned.
I really don't know how to react to these sentences, E-chan. :scratch: maybe I should consider deleting my posts then?