[Discussion] JIN (Osawa Takao, Ayase Haruka, Uchino Masaaki)

Discuss Japanese drama series here.
bloggingpig

Post by bloggingpig » Apr 20th, '11, 07:38

Hirai Ken? =o I wonder.... almost sounds like he's straining too much singing the end title song....way outta his vocal range...
Big difference in 'impact' between Hirai and Misia, the latter being my favorite pick by far between the two.
But, at least first 10 minutes is off to an exciting start! (Only took me six+ hours....to watch it after translating the first 10 minutes... lol) Bodes well for the rest of the series.

Hideaki_Ito

Post by Hideaki_Ito » Apr 22nd, '11, 05:38

I've been waiting for season 2. I got in last season kind of late and I can't recall how I got into it to begin. I totally didn't like Ayase prior to viewing but I grew to love her character in Jin and found she and Osawa have great chemistry. I don't know why they even try to be so mysterious about that guy with the bandage in the beginning because I thought it's so obvious as to who he is. Anyways, I hope they show all sweet scenes between Jin and Saki in season 2. :wub: It looks like it follows the manga (from the preview.) So ep 2 should start...
with shogun's wife eats the donuts and fall ill. That would be vol 8-9 of the manga. As a result, Jin and Saki got the blame. Jin was thrown into prison and tortured. When he got out Saki ran to him and knelt down crying at the sight of his bleeding tortured legs. Jin said something along the line of "at that moment, I want this woman to be happy/I want to make this woman happy." My Japanese sucks. In Vol 11, someone asked him about his feelings for Saki and he said she's someone important to him and he would tell her his feelings after he finished his research. He and Saki did and he gave her the engagement ring. I didn't look into what he said. In vol 12 or 13, Jin was drunk and mistook a geisha as Saki. He hugged the geisha while calling "Saki-san" and in his dream he was showing Saki his modern world. In vol 20, he asked Saki to marry him. Saki later then took a bullet for him and was dying I think. He told her he won't be separated with her and stuff. Then he later got attacked and was accidentally sent back to present, got operated on by his modern self (like the beginning of season 1. Edo Jin took the meds back to Edo for Saki and was able to save her. They later got married. Jin takes on Saki's family name I think. Nokaze also got married to a Western and has a child. I'm still trying to understand the thing about modern Jin having memories of Edo Jin. So Edo Jin fell back to present, met modern Jin, stole some meds and came back to Edo. I don't know what happened to modern Jin at that point but he woke up later and has memories up to Saki dying.

They should really put up a disclaimer telling people not to try falling down the stairs/cliff just to see if they will travel back in time. :lol

iLLusiOnEr

Post by iLLusiOnEr » Apr 22nd, '11, 06:08

wow,hideaki. i'm envious that you managed to read the manga.Seem like only who bought the book can read it.According to mangaupdate, there hasn't been any scanlation works going about the manga.So i don't know how to find it, if any exists.

Sakuya

Post by Sakuya » Apr 22nd, '11, 07:05

I agree Misia's song was better. But I actually grew accustomed to Hirai Ken's song too and it's grown on me. They're both good now. :lol

hunterkirualeorio

Post by hunterkirualeorio » Apr 22nd, '11, 07:11

There are chinese scanlations of Jin floating around...

Hideaki_Ito

Post by Hideaki_Ito » Apr 22nd, '11, 14:11

iLLusiOnEr wrote:wow,hideaki. i'm envious that you managed to read the manga.Seem like only who bought the book can read it.According to mangaupdate, there hasn't been any scanlation works going about the manga.So i don't know how to find it, if any exists.
I googled up the raws. (Don't know if I should put the link here.) There are no English scanlations unfortunately. I don't know Chinese so I can't read the Chinese scanlations. :-( I know a few JP words and I have a kanji dictionary. :lol I just need to know what happens between Jin and Saki. :P Of course I'll have to wait for the drama trans for other complicated explanations.

Sakuya

Post by Sakuya » Apr 23rd, '11, 19:38

Hideaki_Ito wrote: It looks like it follows the manga (from the preview.) So ep 2 should start...
with shogun's wife eats the donuts and fall ill. That would be vol 8-9 of the manga. As a result, Jin and Saki got the blame. Jin was thrown into prison and tortured. When he got out Saki ran to him and knelt down crying at the sight of his bleeding tortured legs. Jin said something along the line of "at that moment, I want this woman to be happy/I want to make this woman happy." My Japanese sucks. In Vol 11, someone asked him about his feelings for Saki and he said she's someone important to him and he would tell her his feelings after he finished his research. He and Saki did and he gave her the engagement ring. I didn't look into what he said. In vol 12 or 13, Jin was drunk and mistook a geisha as Saki. He hugged the geisha while calling "Saki-san" and in his dream he was showing Saki his modern world. In vol 20, he asked Saki to marry him. Saki later then took a bullet for him and was dying I think. He told her he won't be separated with her and stuff. Then he later got attacked and was accidentally sent back to present, got operated on by his modern self (like the beginning of season 1. Edo Jin took the meds back to Edo for Saki and was able to save her. They later got married. Jin takes on Saki's family name I think. Nokaze also got married to a Western and has a child. I'm still trying to understand the thing about modern Jin having memories of Edo Jin. So Edo Jin fell back to present, met modern Jin, stole some meds and came back to Edo. I don't know what happened to modern Jin at that point but he woke up later and has memories up to Saki dying.

They should really put up a disclaimer telling people not to try falling down the stairs/cliff just to see if they will travel back in time. :lol
I think the ending for the drama might have to be a bit different because I think I read somewhere Miki was not in the manga, only Nokaze was. Not to mention...
If Miki was the love interest in the drama, it might not be the case that Jin ends up with Saki since he loves Miki so much. And if Edo Jin traveled back to the present to be operated on by Modern Jin, that means Edo Jin went back to the world in which Miki was still in a coma. Which wouldn't make sense because he fixed it already... Blah, mind rape. :scratch:

Hideaki_Ito

Post by Hideaki_Ito » Apr 24th, '11, 01:09

Sakuya wrote: I think the ending for the drama might have to be a bit different because I think I read somewhere Miki was not in the manga, only Nokaze was. Not to mention...
If Miki was the love interest in the drama, it might not be the case that Jin ends up with Saki since he loves Miki so much. And if Edo Jin traveled back to the present to be operated on by Modern Jin, that means Edo Jin went back to the world in which Miki was still in a coma. Which wouldn't make sense because he fixed it already... Blah, mind rape. :scratch:
It looks like it would follow the manga closely.
At the end of season one, Jin already said that he would deal with what's in front of him and he was relieved that the picture was gone. That means he would not be thinking about the possibility of him suddenly going back by some magical means. By saving Nokaze he accepted the fact that there wouldn't be a Miki in the future. Besides, Miki may have been his love in modern time but Saki had been by his side ever since he got to Edo. They've been through thick and thin so it's only natural he eventually fell in love with Saki. (That's why it makes sense that Saki is "the girl". She plays a dominant role in his Edo life and the whole story is about him being in Edo.) As for Miki, Nokaze got married a foreigner so there wouldn't be a Miki in modern time. When Jin gave Saki the ring I think she did ask about his love in modern time and he said something but it's too long for me to figure out. :scratch: Also, I went from last vol to vol 4 and while I don't know if the first 3 vol covered Miki, there was a few frames of flashback of him and his modern gf when he was about to kiss Nokaze in the manga (which covered in season 1 drama.) Btw, there was a Mary who met up with modern Jin at the end. I don't know if she's the descendant of Nokaze. :scratch:

seirin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by seirin » Apr 24th, '11, 07:20

Hideaki_Ito wrote:
Besides, Miki may have been his love in modern time but Saki had been by his side ever since he got to Edo. They've been through thick and thin so it's only natural he eventually fell in love with Saki. (That's why it makes sense that Saki is "the girl". She plays a dominant role in his Edo life and the whole story is about him being in Edo.)
If you talk about going through thick and thin. Miki has gone through the same with Jin in the modern times. I think they've been dating for many years since they met when they were med students. Going from med student to professional surgeon takes many years. I would say about 10? He's 30's now. They probably met in their late teens early 20's. That's almost a decade if not yet. He's been with Saki 2 years now? Can you forget someone you've loved for 10 years? He may have feelings for Saki if he stays in Edo forever or considers he may never go back and should live his current life. But I'm sure inside, he also still has feelings for Miki as well.

Hideaki_Ito

Post by Hideaki_Ito » Apr 24th, '11, 15:02

I finally watched the smaller version of the 2 on here I downloaded and I see all kind of blocks/pixelation. I wonder if I'm missing codec or it's the file. :scratch:
seirin wrote: If you talk about going through thick and thin. Miki has gone through the same with Jin in the modern times. I think they've been dating for many years since they met when they were med students. Going from med student to professional surgeon takes many years. I would say about 10? He's 30's now. They probably met in their late teens early 20's. That's almost a decade if not yet. He's been with Saki 2 years now? Can you forget someone you've loved for 10 years? He may have feelings for Saki if he stays in Edo forever or considers he may never go back and should live his current life. But I'm sure inside, he also still has feelings for Miki as well.
By thick and thin, I wasn't really talking about modern day thick and thin. The extreme times in Edo kind of requires people to do the things that people in comfortable modern days most likely would never have the chance to do like putting their lives on the line. Jin's relationship with Miki of course has its merit. I was just talking about how Jin would eventually fall for Saki. I have no intention to imply the relationship between Jin and Miki never existed. I don't know if people will still love their past loves after they fall in love with a new one. I guess some do and some don't. But given the proper time to move on, I would say it's nice to be devoted to one person at a time. :mrgreen:

Noi

Post by Noi » Apr 25th, '11, 04:32

Hideaki_Ito wrote:I've been waiting for season 2. I got in last season kind of late and I can't recall how I got into it to begin. I totally didn't like Ayase prior to viewing but I grew to love her character in Jin and found she and Osawa have great chemistry. I don't know why they even try to be so mysterious about that guy with the bandage in the beginning because I thought it's so obvious as to who he is. Anyways, I hope they show all sweet scenes between Jin and Saki in season 2. :wub: It looks like it follows the manga (from the preview.) So ep 2 should start...

This sounds awesome. But i have heard/read:
that Saki marries another man in the manga? Unless he dies or something...

I'd much rather believe what you say though, lol.

Hideaki_Ito

Post by Hideaki_Ito » Apr 26th, '11, 00:01

Noi wrote: This sounds awesome. But i have heard/read:
that Saki marries another man in the manga? Unless he dies or something...

I'd much rather believe what you say though, lol.
It's his Edo self.
Jin Tachibana.

Here's a few manga scans
In vol 9, I think the first time Jin realizes his feelings for Saki.
Jin: "Sono toki watashi wa tsuyoku omotta..." (At that moment I strongly thought)

Jin: "Kono hito wo kanarazu shiawase ni shitai." (I surely want this person to be happy."

(I think he says she's someone special and he will tell her his feelings after he's done with research)

One of the kisses.

Modern Jin has visions of Edo Jin (himself) marrying Saki.

Well, I don't know how the drama will do it but I hope it's like the manga. Osawa and Ayase make such nice couple. I like to see them end up together. :mrgreen:
You're too good to be true.

I can't take my eyes off you.

rootabega

Post by rootabega » Apr 26th, '11, 06:25

JIN is the first dorama I've watched in a while and, so far, it's been quality stuff. :thumleft:

I was starting to think JIN was getting almost too family friendly for my liking, but after witnessing the, uh, visually arresting manner in which sensei is, ehm, treated at the end of episode 2, I would have to say NOT. :w00t:

Yeah, I'm a perv... :-)

rootabega

Post by rootabega » Apr 26th, '11, 06:27

Uh, that would be JIN 2. Sorry.

refev

Post by refev » Apr 28th, '11, 11:32

I'm kind of confused that they often use modern kanji (新字体) instead of what was in use back in the Edo period when they show neatly written text.

E.g. the 道 in 道名津, 黒 in 黒糖 etc. Seems like such a silly oversight that it must have been intentional, but why? Do they think their viewers are morons and can't read the old versions? ;-) I hope not...

Hideaki_Ito

Post by Hideaki_Ito » Apr 28th, '11, 23:24

I really like the song Ken Hirai wrote for Jin "Itoshiki Hibi Yo". Though I don't completely understand the lyrics, from the fuzziness of my understanding it feels very fitting for the drama. I just hope someone will translate the lyrics.

yuizaki_libra

Post by yuizaki_libra » Apr 29th, '11, 03:45

Hideaki_Ito wrote:I really like the song Ken Hirai wrote for Jin "Itoshiki Hibi Yo". Though I don't completely understand the lyrics, from the fuzziness of my understanding it feels very fitting for the drama. I just hope someone will translate the lyrics.
I did a rough translation of the lyrics here :)

rootabega

Post by rootabega » Apr 29th, '11, 06:47

refev wrote:I'm kind of confused that they often use modern kanji (新字体) instead of what was in use back in the Edo period when they show neatly written text.

E.g. the 道 in 道名津, 黒 in 黒糖 etc. Seems like such a silly oversight that it must have been intentional, but why? Do they think their viewers are morons and can't read the old versions? ;-) I hope not...
Even the better-looking doramas, like Jin, are made on the cheap, which results in whoppers like what you've described. It's a shame, because stuff like this will ensure J-TV is barely fit for domestic consumption, let alone overseas. The average Japanese viewer these days seems to have a very high tolerance for having their intelligence insulted, sadly.

Imagine you're watching Masterpiece Theatre on PBS, and the character in a historical drama is reading from a scroll written in the latest up-to-date English. It would make the program a bit of a joke, eh?

I'm no better, however. I'm willing to check my brain at the door for more shirtless moments with sensei :w00t:

Hideaki_Ito

Post by Hideaki_Ito » Apr 29th, '11, 22:16

yuizaki_libra wrote:
I did a rough translation of the lyrics here :)
That's awesome. Thanks for the link. I've been searching this for a few days. I may use it for future MV and stuff. :mrgreen:

refev

Post by refev » Apr 30th, '11, 15:04

rootabega wrote: Even the better-looking doramas, like Jin, are made on the cheap, which results in whoppers like what you've described.
I guess you're right. But what's strange is that they go out of their way to show handwritten documents on authentic-looking paper, sometimes even in cursive script. Must take a lot of thought and time to write all this.

On the other hand, I know people in Japan (all of them under 30, granted) who don't know that their script has changed at some point so I guess it's possible that they just cater to their target audience...

Noi

Post by Noi » May 2nd, '11, 00:51

So I just watched episode 3...

...and wtf, did Saki turn Jin down?! WHYYY?!?!?!

hunterkirualeorio

Post by hunterkirualeorio » May 2nd, '11, 00:58

Noi wrote:So I just watched episode 3...

Typical...Girl says one thing but means another... :scratch:

Hideaki_Ito

Post by Hideaki_Ito » May 2nd, '11, 01:15

Now you make me want to see. Please give detail summary if possible. With the rate I'm downloading I won't get to see it anytime soon. :-(

raven_frost

Post by raven_frost » May 2nd, '11, 15:20

Noble idiocy? To do the right thing by everyone because Nokaze withdrew.

I guess there won't be much of Nakatani Miki after this.

I enjoy the male bonding much better :D

Hideaki_Ito

Post by Hideaki_Ito » May 3rd, '11, 00:45

They may show a bit of Nokaze later if they choose to show her wedding, wearing western wedding dress and all. (I don't know why whenever this actress smiles, it feels forceful.)

But anyways, the Jin/Saki scene was kind of weird. They could really do without that. I prefer the way the manga handled it. Nokaze was there with Saki when Jin was released and she saw the Jin/Saki thing then left later. Jin didn't really confess until much later. That's much more appropriate. As for the drama, it felt like Jin wasn't ready but still wanted to answer to Saki. If he was a bit more convincing I don't see how Saki would have turned him down. Should we get together then babe? No? Okay, that's cool. :lol But anyways, it's only ep 3 so they probably don't want to hook them up yet or maybe they're just being their jdrama ways. Something happened but in the end we're back to our regular doctor/nurse relationship, nothing special.

Now that I think about it with the way they've been changing some stuff in the drama, maybe in the beginning Jin rushed back
to save Sakamoto instead of Saki. And it will be revealed as the biggest plot twist is the real romance in Jin is actually between Jin and Sakamoto. :lol Hmm, seeing two middle age males getting together is the first for me but I'm open to possibilities. (Okay, I lied, not the first.) I don't pay attention too much to the guy who plays Sakamoto but Osawa is hot stuff. The only thing is whenever he cries and he reveals his lower bite, all I could think is "that's a lot of teeth." :mrgreen:

Fishface

Post by Fishface » May 4th, '11, 00:03

Did anyone else think the blood on Ryoma's lip looked really fake? Way too bright.

Peggy

Post by Peggy » May 4th, '11, 00:40

Fresh blood is very bright. Once air gets involved it will begin to darken. It does need light of day to make the red look red.

Fishface

Post by Fishface » May 4th, '11, 00:50

I stand corrected!

lollercopter

Post by lollercopter » May 4th, '11, 16:54

I don't like the constant inner monologues of Jin. They're almost always vapid, repetitive, redundant and banal. As every writer knows, it's almost always better to show than tell. Narration can work really well (e.g. The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya), but in JIN it's a completely worthless waste of time.

rootabega

Post by rootabega » May 5th, '11, 05:28

Lollercopter - LOL!!!

I started watching J-doramas as a fun way to expose myself to more spoken Japanese. In short order, I realized I was probably better off not trying to memorize any of the corny lines I was hearing :lol.

This may offend some here, for which I apologize, but J-dorama viewing is strictly a form of super-light, check-you-brain-at-the-door escapism for me. Except for those times when a show manages to dig a tunnel under my one-inch-high expectations and really insults my intelligence. Then I feel kinda burned by the experience.

As a side note, my Canadian-born Japanese friends are pretty much united in asking:
"Why are you watching that crap??" :D :D

I dunno - maybe it fills some kind of subconscious need within myself. :roll

rootabega

Post by rootabega » May 7th, '11, 03:45

Gee, I hope I didn't stall this thread by going too off topic or being too critical.

Here's a 100% JIN-related question:

So far, in 12+ episodes spanning two seasons, JIN sensei has run into numerous historical figures, most notably Sakamoto Ryoma, as well as the direct ancestor of his beloved present-day comatose fiancee, and there has been considerable narrative effort expened to exploit these unique and amazing coincidences.

What I wanna know is, when is JIN sensei going to come across an ancestor of his own? I hope it's not Sachi san. That would be such a dramatic copout (which, of course, never ever happens in a J-dorama :roll ) But it may make for more interesting interior monologues....and some cursing... :-)

Peggy

Post by Peggy » May 9th, '11, 02:12

Please don't be cross...I was wondering when your Japanese friends ask
why your are 'Watching that crap'...you might ask them why they are watching the stuff we are given here which is totally crap...in my estimation...

Not sure about Canada, but here in US, TV shows are mostly if not entirely, pathetic. IMO....

Maybe what is a fresh approach to us in the Japanese dramas, is old hat to them???

rootabega

Post by rootabega » May 9th, '11, 05:00

Hi, Peggy:

Nice to hear from you! I put two smilies next to my "crap" remark to show that it was all said in a very lighthearted way. Many of my friends' (born in Japan) parents are hooked on J-doramas, which probably adds to the "uncool" image for them. Hoewever, even the most too-cool-for-school ones melt at mention of "TakuKimu". That man has worldwide appeal, it seems.
I totally agree about North American TV, and not too many people I know are big TV watchers, anyways. Most of us are :whistling: film snobs :whistling:

Well, JIN ain't no crap, in my books, unlike a coupla other things airing these days I could mention.... but won't, because I want to avoid the "flames" of death. :lol

seirin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by seirin » May 9th, '11, 06:23

Ep4 seems to look interesting from the previews. Talk about walking away during an operation... Jin disappears during one!

I could totally understand Saki's rejection. It would be devastating for her if he ups and disappears one day. But that's like life though, anyone can suddenly die one day without notice. In Edo, might get killed by random samurai like that woman LOL

Sakuya

Post by Sakuya » May 10th, '11, 04:29

seirin wrote:Ep4 seems to look interesting from the previews. Talk about walking away during an operation... Jin disappears during one!
Blah, and they put it as a cliffhanger. Not to mention, they cleverly didn't show anything at all for episode 5 preview so as not to spoil any surprises. Another week to wait. :-(

Hideaki_Ito

Post by Hideaki_Ito » May 10th, '11, 05:04

Ep 4 caps (as I shall spam some.)

I don't know. Ryoma was all over the males in this one. He really had it going.

"Is that a gundam in your undies or are you happy to see me?"

"I said I love ya but I lied."

"I love ya 'cause ya hotta than the otha dude. I ain't lying."

Hmmm...

(Is he doing what I think he's doing?)

Ano... Ryoma-san.... stop pulling his undies.

Close up of sweet Saki-san

Jin and Saki-san moments
"Hai, danna-sama..."

(Oh the horror of sharing room together)

"I didn't arrange this before hand, honest."

(I think Osawa Takao I mean Jin sensei looks secretly happy here)

"Yes ma'am."

"If you're good, I'm more than good."

Jelly ogle #1

*insert awkward bgm here*

Jelly ogle #2

Night falls.

Jelly ogle #3

(on the way back)

I shall impress Ayase-san with my sparkling smile.

One last one,
I'm too sexy for my shirt, so sexy it hurts.

iLLusiOnEr

Post by iLLusiOnEr » May 10th, '11, 20:35

Just finished watching ep4 with sub (thanks to heiwa team). now i couldn't wait for next week episode. how wrong i was. at first , when i watched ep.1, i thought this season couldn't compete with last year's. now, i'm dying to know how they want to wrap the story up. somewhere in d-addicts i read someone wrote about the manga and so far its been true with this adaptation. that time i thought, hell, now i know how things'll go, its not that interesting anymore..and i was wrong again.the 4th did it.

During Saki's conversation with that Lady-sama:
"Just how similar that person I live together with,...is to a child's."

by literal words, was Saki meant Jin-sensei behaves like a child? or judging by Lady-sama's facial expression, Saki really wants to be with Jin-sensei like Lady-sama wants to have a child?
Heiwa didn't sub the preview at last part. I think Saki will finish the operation by herself. Jin sensei floating in present time and see how his life is starting from childhood.

@Hideaki_Ito
he's indeed doing IT!

Ryoma's potrayal is the same like what in Taiga's Ryomaden. He's a free-spirit guy, somewhat perculiar, and patriotic. the only different is Ryoma in JIN not that a visionary guy. when he looked up to Jin sensei, that's when his bulb lightning up, don't ya think?

Hideaki_Ito

Post by Hideaki_Ito » May 11th, '11, 00:29

Just watched the subbed version too. Saki is getting feisty. She lays down the law and whips Jin-sensei's ass. Jin-sensei, your easy days are over. :lol Man, I can't wait for the next ep as well. (There are so many Kdramas, Cdramas, and other Jdramas up to my eyeballs and I'm just watching this drama aside from some anime. The wait will be long.)
iLLusiOnEr wrote: During Saki's conversation with that Lady-sama:
"Just how similar that person I live together with,...is to a child's."

by literal words, was Saki meant Jin-sensei behaves like a child? or judging by Lady-sama's facial expression, Saki really wants to be with Jin-sensei like Lady-sama wants to have a child?
Yeah, probably the latter. Moral of the story is Saki is stubborn that's why she can't be with the person she wants. If Lady-sama is stubborn like Saki, Lady-sama will not have a child like she wants.
:mrgreen:

TenguKing

Loving this show

Post by TenguKing » May 11th, '11, 01:42

The premise of today's Japanese person meets yesteryear's Japanese person is truly unique and engaging... They are almost incompatible... Just finished S2E1 and loved how he wrote DO-NA-TSU in kanji (ROAD-NAME-???) just for the sound of the chinese characters... I found that hilarious

Peggy

Post by Peggy » May 11th, '11, 03:44

rutabega..:-)

It takes a really good lip zipper at times to avoid getting the anger slashed all over the place.

I am waiting now for a good drama... which is looking like JIN2...........

Vibes are good here and there...
Last edited by Peggy on May 11th, '11, 21:39, edited 1 time in total.

Sakuya

Post by Sakuya » May 11th, '11, 04:58

I was rewatching season 1 and it's just amazing comparing the Saki then and the Saki now. She has grown so much as a person.

Hideaki_Ito

Post by Hideaki_Ito » May 13th, '11, 00:49

Regarding Saki's conversation with Lady-sama, I saw this sypnosis at jadefrost's here: http://jdramas.wordpress.com/2011/05/12 ... 4-trailer/ which is a bit clearer.
She had also confided in Ehime the thoughts that went through her mind while watching Jin fold an origami ‘flying squid’ for Ohatsu and play with the girl:

“There is actually a person whom I love dearly too.
But we definitely cannot be together.
Because I was obstinate.
It is a stubborness that one must have as a person.
I don’t regret it.
Although … there are times when I would unexpectedly visualise …
life with him … and a child who looks like him … …
It won’t do any good to be stubborn.”
As for Ohatsu, she's probably Jin's ancestor?

For some damn reasons, the image of shirtless Jin sensei keeps popping up in my head. *slap* :lol

Sakuya

Post by Sakuya » May 17th, '11, 06:38

Skimmed the preview for episode 6 and saw Nokaze. While I'm glad to see her in the story again, I'm really hoping THAT is not going to happen as the preview hints. :(

Hideaki_Ito

Post by Hideaki_Ito » May 18th, '11, 00:00

(I'm too lazy to put up some caps but I feel like whining.)

A few things about episode 5:

You know how before the OP in every episode, Jin sensei usually sits there drowned in deep thoughts, contemplating the facts of life or something while holding the fabric thingaruni then he'll ask the question "what is the purpose of me being here?" or "why was I sent here?" (which you thought he would stop asking after 4 years living in Edo and 5th episode into season 2 but anyways). Then as prompted, the music of "Itoshiki hibiyo" would come on with tremendous emphasis follows by the OP. I guess the whole idea is to emphasize the epicness (if there is such a word) of the drama. In this case after he asked the question and there was hint of the music coming on but suddenly the door opened and Tanosuke came in which totally destroyed the mood so it completely caught me off guard and killed my expectation. I almost fell off my chair as a result. *ahem* (This unexpected change in event is so phenomenal that it's mind boggling. I mean how can I even imagine that the OP doesn't come on right after he asked the usual philosophical question? It is just impossible. It just ruins the epicness that is Jin. Things like that just don't happen.)

About Jin-sensei: I don't know what it is but I feel as if he's becoming a wishy-washy character (or maybe he has been and I'm just being dense.) I really don't want him to keep asking the same damn question in every damn episode. I hate the fact that he keeps thinking he's so damn special. Okay, he is the main character and the drama names after him so maybe that makes him special but still. I guess my patience is wearing thin. I mean can't he just get on with the program already? I thought he got on with the program last season but I guess I'm wrong. We're in season 2 so we should turn over a new leaf. The days of eye-popping fetus and kaleidoscope turning for suspense's sake are over. We've moved forward and we should stop asking the same question we've asked last season (especially when we're not getting any answers anymore than last season.) I feel watching him is like taking one step forward, two steps back or something. Anyways having said all that, I can't deny the fact that Osawa is so damn fine and the image of him without shirt *ahem* is still haunting me. My jelly eyes can't stop ogling him because it would be a damn sin not to ogle a man this hot. Hence, I can't hate him too much. The only problem is fine men like him brings out the dormant pervertness (if there's such a word) in me. It can be overwhelming at times. When it happens, I have the tendency to lose my ways.

About Ryoma or the lack of his presence: it's a waft of fresh air actually. I mean his lack of presence. Though I kind of like Ryoma, I really don't care much for his screen time nor his screen time with his samurai flirting buddies/minions whatever. True that I like to see males flirting and stuff and I do find his flirting ways amusing but unless they're beautiful, it doesn't really do much for me. The samurai thing can't keep my attention for too long it seems. (It just shows the level of enthusiasm I have for JP historical/Taiga. Watching JP historical/Taiga to me is just about as exciting as watching grass grows and I'm not talking about the grass on my lawn during Spring time after the rain. I feel the same way while watching Mainland China historical like "Romance of 3 Kingdoms" for example but the only difference is the men in China historical have better haircuts. However enduring the snail pace script delivering technique needs special training. It was like they were competing to see who could deliver the slowest. Patience is a virtue I never possessed.) At any rate as far as I'm concern, they can use that Ryoma flirting time for Jin/Saki moments. (Now that I think about it, there's a possibility that all these bitter feelings I have against Ryoma may be the result of me being secretly jealous of how Jin and Ryoma are in love with each other. Hmmm...)

About Jin/Saki moments or the lack of: what happened to Jin/Saki rabu? Nai. I ain't like that. Okay so this is a J-drama not emphasizing on romance (which is why it's making me angry). Bloody hell, all I want is some Jin/Saki rabu rabu and that's too much? It's the only reason why I watch Jin to begin with. Even with those short moments a few episodes ago made me happy. Seeing them together give me these warm fuzzy feelings. I mean how can I even resist their charms. The hotness that is Osawa Takao together with the innocent beauty that is Ayase Haruka make my heart go aflutter. Such lovelies are like candies to my eyeballs. It's a wonderful thing. Now I have to ask the question, what is my purpose of watching Jin? (And the bigger question is why am I turning into wishy-washy Jin and keep asking myself the damn same question?) I digress. Anyways, point is I would be more than happy if they end up together in the drama. I would be even happier if they end up in real life and I probably will die happy if Osawa and Ayase get married and have children. 'nuff said.

About the story: which starts with Ohatsu died and Jin realized that Ohatsu was the cause of his disappearance which was kind of short and anti-climactic. All the fuss ended in about two minutes and I was about to ask the question "so I was being cliff-hung for this?" But I got over it because that wasn't the main story. The main story about the actor and his son is kind of nice (like the story of Lady-sama last episode) so I can't complain. It's quite touching especially at the scene of the climax when the child finally let go of his stubbornness after being moved by his father's sincerity and devotion. The music score came on strongly emphasizing moments and amplify the emotional impact. Everybody in the drama was in tears. I was in tears. Sono toki wa... sono toki wa... I mean at that moment I felt like I was witnessing a historical event that may change my life forever and then I thought not seeing Ryoma in this episode was so nice afterall. It felt soothing to the soul for some reasons. (On a side note, I have to admit that seeing Tanosuke in complete make-up and everything can be discouraging not that I think he's not good with his craft. I don't know if he put on this complete set-up whatever-you-call-it before but if he did, I didn't pay attention. That may have been a good thing.)

About Saki-dono: Watching her is always pleasant. I really like everything about her character. As an audience, I get to see how she fell in love with Jin (the clueless folly) and how she did and will do so many things for him. I get to see how she matures into a strong lady. I often see how her wise words always point out Jin's erroneous ways and help Jin through his frequent troubling mental break-downs. It's only natural that she is the one for Jin for I believe Jin needs Saki to lead him down the path of righteousness as well as leading him down the path that rocks. It was enjoyable to witness her badassary in action last episode, whipping Jin-sensei left and right leaving Jin-sensei flustered and almost speechless. (I was enjoying Jin-sensei's expression quite a bit there.) Following such richness in development of this character, I sympathize with her. (Well it may help that Ayase plays her. Despite what people say and how lack of articulation she is in real life, I think highly of Ayase and like her more and more as I see more of her dramas. Any actress that can pull comedy with perfection that makes me laugh is good in my book because as far as I'm concern, it takes much more skills to do effective comedy stuff than drama stuff.)

Therefore, seeing the wonderful being that is Saki, I can't help but root for her to be with Jin-sensei (the clueless and wishy-washy yet so damn fine of a man.) My only gripe about her is her rejection to Jin (though I do know where she's coming from.) I mean after his obligatory proposal which is totally lacking in sincerity. There was no flowers, no diamond ring, no chocolates or if not, at least andonatsu. I didn't even expect him to throw out honey-sweet. smooth lines like "I fell in love with you the first time I saw you" or something cheesy like "Jin only knows medical. Jin knows nothing of sweet talking of sort but Jin knows Jin loves Saki" or even the traditional "will you cook deep fried tofu for me for the rest of my life?" I thought he might came up with something like "will you be my penicillin for life?" And what she got was "could we get together?" Why do you want to get together man? Tell me the reason honey. He was acting as if he was doing her a favor, giving the vibe that he was all that and a bag of chip (which he is. Damn.) That is precisely why he didn't even bother glancing at Edo's new release of "how to ask for a Samurai maiden's hand for a dummy." There was no effort and no sincerity whatsoever. And he expected Saki-dono to swoon with that? I didn't think so. But as their fan, I do hope things will change in the end and they will end up a happy couple walking toward the sunset of Edo or else... I may have to take desperate measures. There is a danger that I may uncancel my trip to Japan, stalk down the script writer and fry him/her on the stick, proving once again the craziness that I am.

Seriously.

@Sakuya, Nokaze has a happy end in the manga. Though the drama changed things a lot and I'm no longer sure but it is not far-fetched to see it toward that end. With her conditions it is naive to think Jin could cure her with just an operation to remove her lump. It's not the question of whether she will get more but the question of whether they will be of cancer in nature. But regardless that wouldn't stop her from living her life to the fullest with her family until the time comes (if that is the case.)

Hideaki_Ito

Post by Hideaki_Ito » May 25th, '11, 00:08

Key happenings in ep 6.
1. Jin sensei the medicine man went to Nagasaki to give a lecture about penicillin and triggered some reactions from the Western doctors. I mean I would be surprised too if a Japanese doctor produced a medicine with a Western name. Jin should have at least changed the name to Jin no mahou pauda or something.

2. Jin sensei successfully operated on a Westerner and impressed the Western doctors.

3. Jin sensei met up with lover boy Ryoma and they were so happy to see each other. They hugged, kissed and whatever. They also went out on drinking dates. Then Jin sensei remembered that the muffin man who came from ep 1 season 1 actually said "You're me." Duh! (Then I skimmed because it was a little too much for me to handle with all the Jin Ryoma loving. My blood was boiling. Most importantly, this part is the part where they should have included Jin dreaming about Saki. Someone will have to pay for this atrocity.)

4. Jin sensei witnessed Ryoma smuggled guns and possibly some 500 illegal aliens inside his straw-mat covered carts and was appalled by the immorality of it all.

5. Jin sensei couldn't forgive Ryoma's villainous ways and got real upset. As a result, Jin sensei broke up with Ryoma. They went their separate ways. (That of course made me very happy but I'm still unhappy about the other cut.)

6. Jin sensei boarded the ship back to Edo.

7. Nokaze as shown has already joined high society with Westerner husband. She found out her sickness is creeping back. (The plot thickens.) *narrow eyes*

Preview for ep 7
1. Nokaze came to Jin sensei for another diagnosis before her wedding before her boarding to Western land.

2. At the occasion of Nokaze's wedding, Saki got drunk and tells Jin sensei that he's a dumb piece of rock for not proposing her with a diamond ring. I don't know if they end up doing man woman stuff later but I guess we'll just have to wait and see. (Anticipate anticipate)

3. After the broke up, Ryoma apparently couldn't deal with the aftermath. It appears that he ends up leaving the world of humanly desire, goes up the temple in the mountain and joins monkhood to heal his broken heart I presume.

It should be interesting.
--------------------------------

This conversation was supposed to be after the night at Kawagoe sharing the same room (and before Jin going to Nagasaki. Apparently it never made to the final cut.)

Saki: Last night we said a great many things. You asked if we could be together and said I was to do the thinking for both of us. Well, I've done a lot of it since then, and it all adds up to one thing: we can't be together. You're getting on that ship to find Ryoma, the place where you belong.
Jin: But, Saki-san, no, I... I...
Saki: Now, you've got to listen to me! You have any idea what you'd have to look forward to if we'll be together? Ten chances out of ten, you'll never be able to wear the pants again. You'll be married into the Tachibana clan. You'll be Jin Tachibana.
Jin: You're saying this only to make me go.
Saki: I'm saying it because it's true. Inside of us, we both know you belong with Ryoma. You're part of his work, the thing that keeps him going. If that boat leaves the port and you're not on your way to see him, you'll regret it. Maybe not today. Maybe not tomorrow, but soon and for the rest of your life.
Jin: But what about us?
Saki: We'll always have Jinyu-do. We didn't have, we, we lost it until you came to Kawagoe. We got it back last night.
Jin: But I said I would never leave you.
Saki: And you never will. But as a samurai daughter of the Tachibana clan, I've got a job to do, too. Where I'm going, you can't follow. What I've got to do, you can't be any part of. Jin-sensei, I'm no good at being noble, but it doesn't take much to see that the problems of two little people don't amount to a hill of beans in this crazy Edo world. Someday you'll understand that.
[Jin begins to tear.]
Saki: Now, now... here's looking at you my dear Jin-sensei.

yuizaki_libra

Post by yuizaki_libra » May 25th, '11, 00:13

^ Could you put spoiler tags for your posts please? There are many others who haven't watched the episode yet. Please put the tags for other posts having spoiler like this one too. Thanks.

rootabega

Post by rootabega » May 26th, '11, 17:12

yuizaki_libra

I can see why you have given Hideaki Ito a friendly reminder about spoiler tags, but have you actually read Hideaki Ito's posts in full? He's not giving the plot away. He's being 100% tounge-in-cheek and (very funnily) making it up as he goes along. Or she.

Hideaki Ito

I am LOVING your posts. Things have been dull around here, and you're really livening up the place. I 'm digging your funny pics and prose. Could you be Dark-eyed Wolf's long lost love child?

yuizaki_libra

Post by yuizaki_libra » May 27th, '11, 00:05

^ I did. And he doesn't give the whole plot, but he's giving away some details. I think putting spoiler tags wouldn't hurt anybody =)

Sakuya

Post by Sakuya » May 29th, '11, 20:32

I just noticed, in episode 1 of season 2, in the prologue where Jin (or who I assume is Jin) is in the modern era, he seems to be crying. :unsure:

Hideaki_Ito

Post by Hideaki_Ito » Jun 4th, '11, 23:57

Heck, I didn't feel like commenting after the discouraging ep 7. (Instead I spent my time memorizing kanji lyrics from Itoshiki Hibiyo.) And from the look of ep 8 preview, they're really going off the tracks. In the manga, Nokaze left the country after the wedding. Please don't tell me the climax will be Jin trying to rescue Ryoma. Right now I'm kind of lost with Jin 2, not sure what it's about anymore. I was watching whose line Zorro the other day and when Ryan said "I want to make you my love monkey." Colin was like "I'm getting mixed signals here." And that is exactly how I feel about Jin 2. Good thing is I don't feel like buying the blu-ray set for the drama now. Saves me $350.

yuizaki_libra dear, my apology. I just didn't think anybody would bother reading by ramblings. (I didn't even watch ep 6 subbed so I have no idea what was going on. I was just making stuff up as I go along. :lol ) Now that it's too late, I'll be careful next time. :mrgreen:

rootabega
Thanks liking the posts. Dark-eyed Wolf's long lost love child? At first I didn't know what you mean. I actually googled this name up to figure out what you mean. I'm not that l337. (When I get obsessed with a drama, I have the tendency to lose my ways.) :lol Btw, me no otoko da. ^_^

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Jun 6th, '11, 06:44

Discussions that may be spoilers never bother me. In fact I rather like them. I always used to read the last pages in a book because usually after starting from page one I would forget the final details. Same with dramas. Other views are always enlightening and often give me a new slant on how to watch the drama.

I do understand that there are cases when the final ending is not desirable..but I imagine most people posting would not divulge those details.

itsArtemis

Post by itsArtemis » Jun 6th, '11, 21:26

Hideaki_Ito wrote:Right now I'm kind of lost with Jin 2, not sure what it's about anymore.
I'm lost too. I wanted so much to love it but it's boring me now. :-( If I don't read anything encouraging about the next few episodes I will drop it, which makes me sad - it had so much potential! :cry:

Hideaki_Ito

Post by Hideaki_Ito » Jun 7th, '11, 05:04

I skimmed through ep 7-8 but there was a bit about Jin dreaming about Miki mentioning Ryoma that made me smirk. Miki is a fan of Ryoma? How convenient that is for Jin to remember this bit all of a sudden and how convenient it is for Miki to mentioned something about Ryoma of all historical people. Maybe the argument is she just watched Ryomaden. So we have our plot device and bam next thing we know the suspenseful music comes on foreshadowing that bad things will happen to Ryoma and Jin starts to run around like a chicken without its head trying to save Ryoma for whatever reason I have no idea. I rolled my eyeballs. I mean what's the point of the suspenseful music? Everyone knew it was going to happen. I've been wishing for bad things to happen to Ryoma for like ages and if possible it would be great his death happened like 10 eps ago. Geez...
itsArtemis wrote: I'm lost too. I wanted so much to love it but it's boring me now. :-( If I don't read anything encouraging about the next few episodes I will drop it, which makes me sad - it had so much potential! :cry:
Ever since ep 5, I often debate:
Should I continue watching Jin? If I don't, what will happen to Jin and Saki? Surely I will not know if they will end up together. I will not be able to see the love in their eyes. I will no longer see the sweetness in their smiles. Then some time in the new days there will be a time when I can say it's okay? Such a day... such a day... such a day... will never come.
:lol So I came here downloaded the ep and skimmed through it just to fulfill my obligation. (I still watch it for Ayase though my interest is down to 10% from 100% but it is what it is. Good thing is I've just found another one to chew on. :mrgreen:

avieamber
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by avieamber » Jun 7th, '11, 05:55

Hideaki_Ito wrote:
I skimmed through ep 7-8 but there was a bit about Jin dreaming about Miki mentioning Ryoma that made me smirk. Miki is a fan of Ryoma? How convenient that is for Jin to remember this bit all of a sudden and how convenient it is for Miki to mentioned something about Ryoma of all historical people. Maybe the argument is she just watched Ryomaden. So we have our plot device and bam next thing we know the suspenseful music comes on foreshadowing that bad things will happen to Ryoma and Jin starts to run around like a chicken without its head trying to save Ryoma for whatever reason I have no idea. I rolled my eyeballs. I mean what's the point of the suspenseful music? Everyone knew it was going to happen. I've been wishing for bad things to happen to Ryoma for like ages and if possible it would be great his death happened like 10 eps ago. Geez...
itsArtemis wrote: I'm lost too. I wanted so much to love it but it's boring me now. :-( If I don't read anything encouraging about the next few episodes I will drop it, which makes me sad - it had so much potential! :cry:
Ever since ep 5, I often debate:
Should I continue watching Jin? If I don't, what will happen to Jin and Saki? Surely I will not know if they will end up together. I will not be able to see the love in their eyes. I will no longer see the sweetness in their smiles. Then some time in the new days there will be a time when I can say it's okay? Such a day... such a day... such a day... will never come.
:lol So I came here downloaded the ep and skimmed through it just to fulfill my obligation. (I still watch it for Ayase though my interest is down to 10% from 100% but it is what it is. Good thing is I've just found another one to chew on. :mrgreen:
So true! While I was addicted to JIN first season (having rewatched some episodes again and again), I wasn't as interested in this 2nd season. I think the main reason I really like JIN 1 was the whole medical stuffs ( i like medical theme you see) and how he adapt modern technology in the old days. And of course, the development of relationship with Saki and Nokaze as well. Ryoma was fun to watch but in Season 2, I was a bit annoyed by his appearance! And it got so focused in political issues that I couldn't care less frankly, because that wasn't the reason I watched. I think it got a bit draggy too with the whole Ryoma assasination issue. I actually thought of giving up halfway, but I find myself still getting episode by episode just for the sake of the ending. I just really want to know what will happen to him and Saki, that's all now. As for the politics and Ryoma, not much. I'm trying hard to find the enormous love for JIN that I had before, but it's just not there anymore. I actually enjoyed other dramas this season than this, for example BOSS 2.
Last edited by avieamber on Jun 10th, '11, 09:26, edited 1 time in total.

Noi

Post by Noi » Jun 7th, '11, 06:57

I'm probably in the minority here, but I've really enjoyed this season thus far. I really can't explain why, but I find it so touching. I've also liked seeing how much Saki has grown and matured.... and well, I'm really intrigued and curious about where all of this is going.

Am I the only one? lol.

Sakuya

Post by Sakuya » Jun 7th, '11, 07:04

While I can agree that I don't like the political aspect that much, I still enjoy seeing the touching scenes in each episode and the further development between Jin and Saki as well as Nokaze. Can't wait till the finale!

iLLusiOnEr

Post by iLLusiOnEr » Jun 7th, '11, 22:21

Wow..the story's getting much interesting now. As a historical fan myself, its made me wonder how much the drama will stick to historical facts and made-up one. For example in 8th ep. it was supposed to be just 8 point plan but now history changed to 9.Now I wonder if they'll make ryoma not be assasinated but...

Hideaki_Ito

Post by Hideaki_Ito » Jun 8th, '11, 01:32

avieamber wrote: So true! While I was addicted to JIN first season (having rewatched some episodes again and again), I wasn't as interested in this 2nd season. I think the main reason I really like JIN 1 was the whole medical stuffs ( i like medical theme you see) and how he adapt modern technology in the old days. And of course, the development of relationship with Saki and Nokaze as well. Ryoma was fun to watch but in Season 2, I was a bit annoyed by his appearance! And it got so focused in political issues that I couldn't care less frankly, because that wasn't the reason I watched. I think it got a bit draggy too with the whole Ryoma assasination issue. I actually thought of giving up halfway, but I find myself still getting episode by episode just for the sake of the ending. I just really want to know what will happen to him and Saki, that's all now. As for the politics and Ryoma, not much. I'm trying hard to find the enormous love for JIN that I had before, but it's just not there anymore. I actually enjoyed other dramas this season than this, for example BOSS 2.
I find going on about the Ryoma assassination thing is like beating a dead horse. It feels like they want to use this subplot as the main plot. It keeps dragging on and on forever. I mean come on, this drama is not about Ryoma it's supposed to be about Jin. (Just make him disappear already.) *cough*

Jin from last season was progressing. Jin from this season is dancing a very awkward dance. He kind of stopped progressing at Penicillin. I'm not fond of JP historical. (I don't think JP historical is all that interesting. It's down right dry and boring. JP dramas are excellent in comedy but as for historical I much prefer Korean historical or HK in their golden 80s.) As for medical stuff I hate Western medicines. So the only attraction I have to this drama is really characters and Jin/Saki relationship.

For season one there was progress in their relationship. True that Jin didn't get there but it was clear to me that he wasn't ready. In season 2, I think Saki is a more likeable character. She grows a whole lot. Jin is now back and forth, debating on things he made clear decisions from ages ago. I guess I don't like this kind of dance. The thing I dislike about season 2 is the weird thing going between Jin and Saki. It is clear that Saki loves Jin and from season 1, she had done a lot for him. All of the sudden she rejected him because of what you tell me.... It was like a momentum building up, reaching heights then fizzled out like it was nothing. I was like huh, what was that? As for Jin, I'm not sure how he feels about Saki. Yeah I can tell he's kind of fond of her but love? I don't feel that kind of emotion from him (for her.) I didn't even know why he asked her to be together with him in ep 3. Was that love or a feeling of obligation? But then again I guess they don't want me to know. Jdramas are like that. Suddenly at the end the two main characters get together without those subtleties that were supposed to be going in between eps. I was hoping maybe Jin can be a bit different but they stick to their old formula like a tradition. (Jin is like an preaching old man. I mean the drama.) :lol

ailuros

Post by ailuros » Jun 9th, '11, 11:30

anyone who finished manga please help spoiled
how Saki's bro die?

milhaus007

Post by milhaus007 » Jun 9th, '11, 22:50

I loved Season 1 but like others, Season 2 has been somewhat boring and bland. It's already up to episode 8 and yet I don't know where it is headed. Anyone else sick and tired of watching Nokaze? Her voice is somewhat annoying.

Hideaki_Ito

Post by Hideaki_Ito » Jun 10th, '11, 02:55

Nokaze should have left after the wedding. I've been waiting for her disappearance (like Ryoma) but that didn't happen. Oh well. My conclusion: Manga > Drama.
ailuros wrote:anyone who finished manga please help spoiled
how Saki's bro die?
He died protecting Jin I think. Saki also got shot protecting Jin. I don't know how they'll spin it in this drama. I have no more expectation of anything great coming from this.
Whenever I saw interview clips on Jin 2, they would always ask what will be the ending to the love story between Jin and Saki. I was thinking "there was a love story between Jin and Saki?" Did I miss something? (Maybe I squint real hard I may see something.) :lol

ailuros

Post by ailuros » Jun 10th, '11, 03:31

^
Thanksss

Hideaki_Ito wrote: Whenever I saw interview clips on Jin 2, they would always ask what will be the ending to the love story between Jin and Saki. I was thinking "there was a love story between Jin and Saki?" Did I miss something? (Maybe I squint real hard I may see something.) :lol
:lol :lol :lol Saki is definitely love Jin but I think Jin is more in love with ryoma :lol :lol :lol

Hideaki_Ito

Post by Hideaki_Ito » Jun 10th, '11, 04:14

ailuros wrote:^

:lol :lol :lol Saki is definitely love Jin but I think Jin is more in love with ryoma :lol :lol :lol
Thanks for confirming that it's not all in my head. :lol Jin does look more in love whenever he's with Ryoma than he's with Saki. Poor Saki-san, pouring her heart out for Jin and what did he ever do for her? (The little wimp couldn't even "hold your hand tightly and embrace you even though I know that it's impermissible fate." Instead, it's "let's not do this because it's impermissible fate." :lol The subtle nuances are non-existent.) Well, Brokeback Ryoma and Jin wouldn't be so bad if the guy who plays Ryoma is hot. (I mean if Ryoma is played by sexy Masaya Kato I wouldn't mind it but come on this Ryoma isn't exactly eye candy.) *smirk*

avieamber
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by avieamber » Jun 10th, '11, 04:47

I actually found out why I love JIN again after watching episode 8. I just breezed through Ryoma's side story but the part with Nokaze's delivery was rather superb. :D

ailuros

Post by ailuros » Jun 13th, '11, 04:05

avieamber wrote:......... the part with Nokaze's delivery was rather superb. :D
TOTALLY AGREE!! :salut:

Hideaki_Ito

Post by Hideaki_Ito » Jun 14th, '11, 04:32

Ep 9 summary after I quickly went through the ep.

As the result of continous head banging on his writing desk, Jin somehow retrieved an important piece of memory. This piece of memory coincidentally contains vital information to move the plot forward. It reveals the date when Ryoma was assassinated which was provided by Jin's distant ex, Miki. This is the second time Miki came to the rescue to get the plot going (though I curse her for it because Ryoma should be left assassinated asap.)

At any rate, after knowing that the date of assissination was drawing near, Jin was extremely alarmed and worried for the fate of Ryoma, his one true love. So he quickly packed and together with assistant Saki and another went to Kyoto in order to save Ryoma. At the same time, Kyotaro was ordered by some official to kill Ryoma. I surmise that the shogun must have been pissed that Ryoma was flirting with all his boys and amassed a legion of admirers (that is bigger than his.) When they arrived at mid-way, Kyotaro met up with the group and talked to Saki, asking Jin to take care of his sister. I thought oh foolish Kyotaro how could you not see that there was only Ryoma in Jin's heart. But as expected, Jin obliviously didn't think of anything. His mind was occupied with saving beloved Ryoma. So anyways after that the group left for Kyoto.

Right after arriving in Kyoto, Jin frantically went searching for his beloved with no avail. After days, he finally bumped into Ryoma's current patana. Ryoma's current patana led Jin and Saki to see Ryoma. And so our hero Jin and his love Ryoma were united once again after their last quarrel. As they saw each other, their faces brightened like the shining moon at its fullest, like the glittering stars on the darkest night sky, like the radiating sun that rises from the East. One could see the love in their eyes, the sweetness in their smiles, and they felt as if they were the only two people existing in this universe. It was a touching moment (but I was too busy rolling my eyeballs to feel it.)

After some party, the others were aware that the two lovebirds must have some loving words to speak to each other so they were left by themselves. They spent the night looking into each other's eyes. The jelly ogling became more intense and passionate into the night and it went on for a pretty long time. (It was rough for me. It might have been the mole.) Then Ryoma talked about how he fell in love with Jin at first sight and that he found Jin pretty hot and sexy when he saw Jin helping the others during the Korrori incident. Jin was all embarrassed about it and smiled shyly. Jin then thought he should come clean and expose what's in his heart. As he was about to reveal his true identity to his beloved, his head started to ache again so Ryoma ran out to get assistant Saki to help Jin.

Meanwhile, Kyotaro was outside confronting Ryoma's current patana. Seeing that, Ryoma ran out and things started to get messy. Jin and assistant Saki also got there in time, witnessing the scene from hardbroiled "kantana to the head." At this point, Kyotaro was pointing his sword at Ryoma, said the required words "gomen" before striking. On the other side, Jin was wriggling in pain and yet he was crawling and making his way to his lover, trying to stop this horrible atrocity from happening. The scene was intense. It completely captured the heart-aching fate of these two lovebirds. I'm sure the targeted audience would be in tears.

After that someone stopped Kyotaro and then for some reasons patana sliced his sword through Ryoma's forehead... He figured that Jin needs some doctor action next episode so he might as well do that instead of killing him on the spot. Don't tell me Jin hired him to do that. As for me, I'm disappointed again that Ryoma is still alive and kicking.

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Jun 14th, '11, 23:55

Hideaki,

Is this serious??? I have not been watching the drama because I was waiting for it to be finished and then I would have watched it in one or two long stretches. Are you Serious about these two guys.??? Even a taiga would not go so far afield and render the true history so wacky. Well I suppose it does it in GOU so why not here. No you can't be Serious. Really??? NEVER!!!!!

Tell me is isn't so :-(

sp4078

Post by sp4078 » Jun 15th, '11, 02:04

I'm seriously lost with the direction that the drama is heading to. I enjoyed the first season enormously, but this season is just too much of political stuffs. Can somebody explain to me why Ryoma-san needs to be saved ? How would the history change ?

I find the medical advance that Jin brought through time would make way more impact to the history compare to saving some sort of political figure at that point in time. I mean, his medical knowledge is, in fact, 200 years in advance to that era. It will save humanity tons of time, money, resources, life, tons of trial-and-error experiments and shape the future medicine entirely.

I really couldn't care less about Ryoma-san's assassination. I wished that arc could just be fed to the dog. Let's bring back some medical stuff !! I guess it's too late now. [/spoiler]

Hideaki_Ito

Post by Hideaki_Ito » Jun 15th, '11, 03:47

Peggy wrote:Hideaki,

Is this serious??? I have not been watching the drama because I was waiting for it to be finished and then I would have watched it in one or two long stretches. Are you Serious about these two guys.??? Even a taiga would not go so far afield and render the true history so wacky. Well I suppose it does it in GOU so why not here. No you can't be Serious. Really??? NEVER!!!!!

Tell me is isn't so :-(
Of course I'm serious Peggy dear. I'm a Jin 2 audience and Jin 2 only targets serious audience because it's quality drama, an epic drama of galactic proportion. Its ingenious writing conveys a profound intellectual message piercing right through the darkest corner in the psyche of human nature. It dissects and rearranges the anatomy of an ancient tradition which in turn provokes its serious audience (like me) to think outside of the box. It goes where no dramas have gone before. The stake is high. You gotta think about it. It really is not for the faint of heart. :thumright:

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Jun 15th, '11, 04:31

OK.. OK. Now pull the other leg. I am truly overwhelmed with your dissertation. It's just that I am still having night sweats from the horror of the distortion of History of the Warring States period in 'GOU'.

I think I have to watch JIN just to make sure this is really going to happen.

I know Nobunaga had gorgeous and loyal Ranmaru, and that I fully accept and understand. However I can't get the picture of Ryoma having Jin. Just don't fit in the puzzle....

Mind you.....Jin is being played by an actor who could fill a role like that rather well.........very acceptable..

noshadow31

Post by noshadow31 » Jun 15th, '11, 05:13

Somehow reading the posts here is more fun than watching the drama itself. LOL

I was such a fan of JIN 1 but is sourly disappointed in the second season. gotta check if they changed the scriptwriter or what

Sakuya

Post by Sakuya » Jun 15th, '11, 06:51

sp4078 wrote:Can somebody explain to me why Ryoma-san needs to be saved ? How would the history change ?
Perhaps he could've accomplished even more greater things should he have lived? :unsure: But even still, he would still die after Jin goes back to modern time. I guess the better answer would be, he is Jin's friend and Jin wants to save him.

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Jun 15th, '11, 20:36

noshadow31

I love SHINEE. My favourite is Minho. He was so sweet when he was younger and had that long hair. He really got mad at himself if he didn't win the competitions on the Dream Team. Now hs is all grown up with the short cut and no more Dream Team.

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Jun 15th, '11, 20:40

re Ryoma and Jin.

Saving Ryomo is ridiculous even apart from the actual history. Ryoma was moving from place to place and I doubt very much that Jin would be able to catch up with him before the fateful day. Jin would be lucky to stay out of trouble and the way of the samurai who were after Ryoma.

But what am I saying....this is a drama called JIN and anything seems to go now. It won't save Sakamoto however. No way.

Incidentally I was just wondering if the Sakamoto family still in existence are making sake as they were in those days for real.

Hideaki_Ito

Post by Hideaki_Ito » Jun 16th, '11, 03:02

Yes Jin tried to save Ryoma simply because he's someone close to his heart. (I didn't want to use "friend" because it does seem that if there's someone that is closest to Jin's heart, it would be Ryoma.) That's the only reason he needs. It makes perfect sense because Jin 2 is about Jin saving Ryoma. The drama was building up for this day all this time. I was just having problem getting with the program. I didn't know that's what Jin 2 is about. (I've been having this wishful thinking that Ryoma would roll over and die earlier than expected just so Jin and Saki can have some real development but oh well, it is what it is.)

But really even if I put all my biases aside, I still think Jin 2 isn't up to snuff. It has a strange flow about it. (And there's the random plot devices.)