Login Issue? Delete D-addicts cookie from your browser settings and login again.

Anybody with much experience Using Handbrake on a Mac?

Discuss technical and geeky things here.
releanoyed

Anybody with much experience Using Handbrake on a Mac?

Post by releanoyed » Apr 4th, '11, 06:32

For the past several months I have been using handbrake to convert video files to run on my iphone. I've used FFmpegX for years but Handbrake has more up to date presets and can still handle softsubs easily. The catch is, is that every now and then I run into an .avi file that freaks Handbrake out. When you start the encode it looks to be going fine but after a few seconds it gives the completed chime and message. It'll show a new .m4v file with the right name but that file is only a few k big and obviously won't play. Since the software is acting like everything is fine, instead of giving an error signal, I'm having trouble troubleshooting the problem. If anybody has had the same issue or knows what the hell is going on please let me know.

Incidentally Handbrake is supposed to be for encoding stuff to play on various Apple devices but if you run a video thru it set to output regular the end result is a file that will also run on the PS3. (just change .m4v to .mp4). Admittedly there are a pile of programs that can convert stuff for the PS3 but Handbrake is more straight forward and faster than a lot of the others I have used. (In fact files converted to work for the iphone will run on the PS3 but that is a bad preset to use since it will cut the resolution to fit the phone's screen and thus look horrible on a TV. The regular setting should leave the file's resolution alone.)

ayalan

Post by ayalan » Apr 4th, '11, 21:39

Hello! I'm sure you've done this, but just make sure you have the latest version of Handbrake. There've been some big fixes lately and it might alleviate the trouble you're having with this AVI file.

Now that's out of the way, if there's still a problem, it may be a problem with the header of the AVI file. All avi files have a 56 byte header that contains some meta data like how big the file is, number of streams, and other parameters. It's possible that something in this header is causing Handbrake to choke: maybe a corrupted header section, or header that's not formatted exactly how Handbrake is used to reading it. Sometimes you can find other encoding programs that will be more lax... you might want to try using VLC or quicktime or something to quickly make an intermediary version of this file, and then using the new file in Handbrake instead.

I've also had luck with MPEG Streamclip to change files into an intermediary format or version before using Handbreak.

Hope this was sort of helpful :|

OenophileAngler

Post by OenophileAngler » Apr 4th, '11, 22:53

I use Handbrake on my macs for the same purposes as you do and have had this issue come up several times. I have had success by renaming the original .avi file and the .srt file. I get rid of the various non alphanumeric characters that are prevalent in dorama files. This almost always works. I think that there was one file that may not have worked, and I just used Quicktime player pro (you have to use version 7, not the most recent version, since version 7 allows export and version 10 doesn't, I believe) to export that .avi file.

Hope this helps.

Dale

releanoyed

Post by releanoyed » Apr 5th, '11, 05:52

I did remeber to check to make sure my version of Handbrake was current before posting. They do seem fairly good at fixing bugs as I've noticed various issues disappear as updates were released.

Interesting ideas. I'll try renaming on the next one that pops up but I'm guessing that won't solve some of them since I have had cases where all the eps of a series would work fine until I hit say ep 6 or whatever and in those cases the file names where all using the same formats with the only difference being the ep number. I'll play with intermediary file versions as well, I should be able to do that easy enough with VLC. I used FFmpegX to convert a few eps of KO One that Handbrake had choked on without any issues. So I seem to have a viable workaround but I do really prefer Handbrake's set up and interface since it is so simple to just drop a full series into it and let the program go to work.