Japanese Food Discussion

Talk about the culture and entertainment from Nihon.
lilswtangel
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Japanese Food Discussion

Post by lilswtangel » Nov 14th, '05, 10:32

I'm suddenly craving onigiris (riceballs) right now. This usually happens each time I watch an episode of any Japanese drama.

It's 4:30 in the morning where I'm at and I've tried falling asleep, but visions of onigiris keep popping into my head. :glare:

I'm definitely going to JAS Mart tomorrow to buy some pre-packaged onigiris before my afternoon classes. :-)
either that, or I'm going to try to make home-made ones as a first attempt. I found some really simple recipes online. If I do end up making my own, I'll tell you all how it went. :P

What are you craving at this moment?
*strictly food, please :whistling: * :mrgreen:

cuteangelika

Post by cuteangelika » Nov 14th, '05, 12:31

I like takoyaki! I dont know how the original takoyaki tastes in Japan.. But here in malaysia, i like the octopus flavored ones.. i've tasted the ones back in the Phils (called Samurai Balls) and they're quite ok too..

Corona

Post by Corona » Nov 14th, '05, 12:41

I actually never had any Onigiri's, very curious how they taste.
I'm always craving for Sukiyaki, yum beef.

You can wake me up at 5 a.m anytime for mashed potatoes, though that's not Japanese food, lol.

bug

Post by bug » Nov 14th, '05, 12:54

I live a 1 minute walk to like 3 conbinis, if I get the urge for onigiri at 4:30AM I just go get one. Not that I would..I eat them too often for lunch to ever get the urge for one.

fuddleduddle

Post by fuddleduddle » Nov 14th, '05, 20:58

just this weekend i made a heck of a lot of sushi, and i had so much that i probably won't be craving that for a long while.

currently i crave green tea ice cream, although it's getting mighty chilly here brrrr..

sk

Post by sk » Nov 15th, '05, 02:21

I really really really want a bowl of Ramen form Ippudou in Fukuoka... yum

I will eat onigiri anytime of the day. :thumright:

I want to go to Japan and just.. EAT! :p the food there is SOOOOO GOOD

oh! Some Fugu nabe and Yaki-Kuri sound really really really good too. *Drool*

Felguard

Post by Felguard » Nov 15th, '05, 02:22

Unagi.

Lime-kun

Post by Lime-kun » Nov 15th, '05, 03:43

With Japanese food being so awesome, it's a marvel you don't see more overweight Japanese people :scratch:

Yeah, I'm crazy for teriyaki sauce in general. Anything teriyaki-fied will get my attention immediately.

ironicwave
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ironicwave » Nov 15th, '05, 03:50

thankfully i have a japanese friend here in germany who shares her recipes with me.
made some tempura tonight with shrimp, scallops and squid and used sweet potatoes and zucchini cut in thin strips for veggies. tasted so awesome. i made way too much
though, so we may be eating this for a couple of days. :P

theedqueen

Post by theedqueen » Nov 15th, '05, 03:57

I crave takoyaki, onigri, and okonomiyaki. Thing is, I've never eaten them before....does that make me weird? xD And you'd think that finally living in Los Angeles I would've had some by now. *shrugs*

EMTQueen

Post by EMTQueen » Nov 15th, '05, 05:27

Sushi and tempura. So good! When I go home for Thanksgiving break, my sister and I are going out for sushi.

tianj

Post by tianj » Nov 15th, '05, 06:06

Lime-kun wrote:With Japanese food being so awesome, it's a marvel you don't see more overweight Japanese people :scratch:

Yeah, I'm crazy for teriyaki sauce in general. Anything teriyaki-fied will get my attention immediately.
Well, Japanese food is very healthy to begin with, and with a diet of 50% on seafood(which tends to be more healthy than your average beef or even chicken), its no wonder there's not many fat Japanese people, or Asian people in general(except in those "heavily westernized" areas where they all eat fast food).

Just go in any American resturant in the States and you will know what I'm talking about, the individual portions are usually double(or more) what I can actually eat. So I ALWAYS bring home a doggie bag for the few times I goto American restuarants.

Just read this article if you're not sure what I'm talking about:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20051025/lf ... 1025041538

So, many one of the top killers in the western world is due to diet.

Templar

Post by Templar » Nov 15th, '05, 06:43

Anyone who can eat a bowl of Natto deserves eternal life. :)

spicythai

Post by spicythai » Nov 15th, '05, 08:18

Natto is just .... weird tasting

My favorite is Tempura with Zaru Soba. Sushi once in a while is good but not everyday.

Japanese food is healthy but contains insane amount of sodium...which is not so good.

bug

Post by bug » Nov 15th, '05, 10:21

I guess living in Japan for a such a long time most of the time when I crave a food it's not Japanese food. Decent Mexican food or something like that usually is what I want.

If I am outside of Japan I don't bother eating Japanese food in other places, it's usually pretty bad.
theedqueen wrote:I crave takoyaki, onigri, and okonomiyaki. Thing is, I've never eaten them before....does that make me weird? xD And you'd think that finally living in Los Angeles I would've had some by now. *shrugs*
that is pretty weird. Must be watching too many drama with those foods I guess hehe.

I live near the area probably most famous for takoyaki and okonomiyaki.

CrAcKaJaP206

Post by CrAcKaJaP206 » Nov 15th, '05, 10:58

I don't really crave onigiri's considering i've been eating them my whole life.

What I crave is yakiniku, gyudon, yakitori, and of course MOS BURGER!

lilswtangel
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by lilswtangel » Nov 16th, '05, 12:06

CrAcKaJaP206 wrote:I don't really crave onigiri's considering i've been eating them my whole life.

what's a MOS BURGER??!! :blink :-)

I can't help but think MOOSE BURGER.........and I'm sure I'm totally off-based here. :lol

yarichin

Post by yarichin » Nov 16th, '05, 19:39

sk wrote:I really really really want a bowl of Ramen form Ippudou in Fukuoka... yum

I will eat onigiri anytime of the day. :thumright:

I want to go to Japan and just.. EAT! :p the food there is SOOOOO GOOD

oh! Some Fugu nabe and Yaki-Kuri sound really really really good too. *Drool*
no way! you live in fukuoka too!? I used to live there and I LOOOOVE Ippudou! By far my favorite ramenya I've ever been to in kyushu. Actually there's a few more, one in futsukaichi and another in kurume...but in FUkuoka, SAIKOU! get some gyoza with the tonkotsu ramen and if you eat there before 2pm you get all you can eat rice! OHHHH GOD MEMORIES!!!!!!!!!

MOS Burger = super tiny deluxe burger franchise in Japan. Really tasty actually but too expensive in my opinion :blink

lilswtangel
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by lilswtangel » Nov 16th, '05, 20:41

I just went and bought myself two more prepackaged onigiris at JAS Mart for $1.29 each...

and then walked two blocks to Otafuku for a combination meal of takoyaki & okonomiyaki (with beef topping) for $8.00 only!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Next time, I'm going to try the takoyaki/yakisoba & okonimyaki (other topping flavors)/yakisoba combos. Really affordable prices.

Jas Mart
133 2nd Ave
New York, NY 10003
(212) 420-6370

Otafuku
236 E 9th St Stuyvesant St
New York, NY 10001
(212) 353-8503

-Otafuku opens at 1PM on Mondays - Thursdays (12 PM from Fri-Sun) so in case anyone decides to drop by there (or ends up touring NYC), don't get there too early.........because they really don't open ntil 1 o'clock sharp!
*note to the guys, there's this really beautiful lady (originally from Osaka) who works there and she's really really really nice!!!!

And I finally found canned demiglace sauce in the Japanese supermarket Sunrise Mart

Sunrise Mart
29 3rd Ave
New York, NY 10003
(212) 598-3040

(take the elevator up to the second floor) and to the ladies, the Japanese brand skincare products are at affordable prices as well.

and on the same street (other side of the block and on the same same) there is a yakiniku restaurant, a noodle restaurant "Sobaya" which I'm dying to try out, and a Teahouse restaurant Cha An which conducts an hour long authentic tea ceremony for only $15!!

oi, I feel like Yuko Takeuchi's character in Lunch Queen :lol :lol :lol

techie
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by techie » Nov 16th, '05, 20:45

lilswtangel wrote:I just went and bought myself two more prepackaged onigiris at JAS Mart for $1.29 each...
so when's dinner :clap:

just had to ask... I'm getting hungry by all your posts lilswt :P

sadotsu

Post by sadotsu » Nov 16th, '05, 20:48

*Glares at everyone and blames god for putting her in a tiny little country*
I want all Japanese food! But I REALLY want melon soda right now... so thirsty.

lilswtangel
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by lilswtangel » Nov 16th, '05, 20:54

techie wrote:
lilswtangel wrote:I just went and bought myself two more prepackaged onigiris at JAS Mart for $1.29 each...
so when's dinner :clap:

just had to ask... I'm getting hungry by all your posts lilswt :P
and again I welcome you back Techie. i really missed your funny jokes around here~!!! Just so, which country are you in now??

-as for dinner, it's more like a late lunch 8)

@sadotsu, gomene~ If it's allowed, maybe I can ship over some pre-packaged onigiris to you over at New Zealand. :-)

techie
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by techie » Nov 16th, '05, 21:00

lilswtangel wrote: and again I welcome you back Techie. i really missed your funny jokes around here~!!! Just so, which country are you in now??
Thank's :) I got stuck halfway to Tokyo (almost exactly halfway from New York east bound). It's good to be back in here and take some time out from the nuts on the outside here.

Luckily the Asian community here is huge and I eat hardly anything but Kimchie, anything Japanese and loads of Char Siu Chow Mein. In fact I haven't used a knife and fork for the past two months I think. They tried giving me a spoon at the local takeout today and I just looked at them like "whats this...?"

Occasionally I run over to my neighbor restaurant and get some good thai food too but their to expensive. :mrgreen:

In fact everything is expensive here on takeouts.

Char siu chow mein is like $9, a standard bento is about $20-$24 and the same for Korean cuisine. The Thai are just in between the Chinese and Japanese prices.

Another guy I met here used to live in Tokyo for four years and he is now working with sales for a Japanese food supplier to all the local restaurants.

scarrow

Post by scarrow » Nov 16th, '05, 21:08

lilswtangel wrote:
CrAcKaJaP206 wrote:I don't really crave onigiri's considering i've been eating them my whole life.

what's a MOS BURGER??!! :blink :-)

I can't help but think MOOSE BURGER.........and I'm sure I'm totally off-based here. :lol
Mo's Burger is awesome. It's just a fast food hamburger chain, but something about how they make the burgers is really tasty. I wish we had them here. :/ I guess the good news is that I will probably go to Tokyo next year and I certainly plan on stopping at Mo's Burger.

Other than that I'm a ramen junkie. Last time I was in Japan I went to the Ramen Museum in Shin-Yokohama and also in Fukuoka. It's so good!

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Nov 16th, '05, 21:12

I'm eating Taiyaki right now. ^^ No original Japanese Taiyaki but a self-made one but it's still good.
The Japanese dish I crave for most often is probably Ramen, but I occasionally I really wish they'd have the Teriyaki Burger at our Mc Donald's, too.

Oh, theedqueen, I know so well what you mean. Ever since I saw the Hana yori Dango anime I've been craving for "Nikkoro Gashi" although I never actually tried them. I watched pictures of Nikkoro Gashi that I found on google though. A Japanese friend of mine also gave me a good recipe but I've been too stressed out with school lately, so I don't have much time to cook.

Corona

Post by Corona » Nov 16th, '05, 21:59

Hmm, I really like Tempura, it makes any ordinary vegetable taste so good.

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Nov 16th, '05, 23:27

Hmm... I forgot about Tempura. l love it. Not only fried vegetables but also fried fish and chicken (Karaage) is heavenly. I used to love Tonkatsu, too. (Cannot eat meat lately though.) Miso shiru is great but not much of a dish. Hmm... One thing I really love is Tamago yaki. Okaa-san, my host mother, used to make it every day. So so good...
I also like Okonomiyaki but only my own. The one I tried in Osaka was... bleh!
And the takoyaki I tried at my host family's house almost made me puke all over the table. I had a hard time holding it back. >_<

kwon
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by kwon » Nov 16th, '05, 23:29

I just had some sushi yummie... I'm still craving for more sushi...

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Nov 16th, '05, 23:44

I used to work at a sushi bar to pay my homestay in Japan. And the first restaurant my Japanese family took me to was... a sushibar. =_=
I used to like it but I've really had enough of it.
The only good Sushi is Big Baked Roll. A special sushi roll from the restaurant I worked at.

sadotsu

Post by sadotsu » Nov 17th, '05, 07:57

lilswtangel wrote: @sadotsu, gomene~ If it's allowed, maybe I can ship over some pre-packaged onigiris to you over at New Zealand. :-)
Lol that's nice of you. XD

duffojosh

Post by duffojosh » Nov 17th, '05, 08:26

Templar wrote:Anyone who can eat a bowl of Natto deserves eternal life. :)
i enjoy natto with the dried plum leaf in it. ahh now i want natto is sooo good. i need to get back to nara so i can eat kakinohazushi. i wouldnt mine some okonomiyaki either. :hissy:

Xi@h
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Xi@h » Nov 17th, '05, 21:31

I would like to taste the miso-soup or ramen, but here we don't have Japanese foods. Is there someone who would like to help me finding these recipes? :P Thanks before hand.

yarichin

Post by yarichin » Nov 18th, '05, 01:16

miso soup: hot water + miso paste + tofu + wakame + green onion...
ramen: ramen type of your choice....broth of choice...insert whatever else you want... no real set way to make ramen. so many different kinds all over.

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Nov 18th, '05, 01:29

There are online shops that sell Japanese foodstuffs. Miso shiru and instant Ramen, too. :)

mallepa

Post by mallepa » Nov 18th, '05, 01:30

I wanna eat natto, I've never tasted it before ^^;;

ANYWAY. As for cravings, purely gyoza~ *o* God I LOVE those!

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Nov 18th, '05, 01:32

I'm craving for Kurokke and Nabe right now. ._.
It's in the middle of the night and I have to work on an essay and I have classes tomorrow. *SIGH*

Xi@h
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Xi@h » Nov 18th, '05, 05:21

Kathleen wrote:There are online shops that sell Japanese foodstuffs. Miso shiru and instant Ramen, too. :)
Sure but there's lots of them that I don't know what to choose, so preferably a nice japanese recipe would be much better!! I guess that I have to move to Japan to eat those things LOL.. I'm obsessed by Japanese foods :P

n30hybr1d

Post by n30hybr1d » Nov 18th, '05, 05:28

When I when in Japan I couldn't find a place that served vegetarian ramen :glare:
I love onigiri and furikake.

duffojosh

Post by duffojosh » Nov 18th, '05, 07:39

Kathleen wrote:I'm craving for Kurokke and Nabe right now. ._.
It's in the middle of the night and I have to work on an essay and I have classes tomorrow. *SIGH*
yeah oden is the best, what type of nabe dish do you like?
miso soup: hot water + miso paste + tofu + wakame + green onion...

there is a special fish base that your suppose to add also.

jyrds

Post by jyrds » Nov 23rd, '05, 17:35

Grill Eel. Again. I keep eating it even tho I have high colestrol. o.O. Hey a pacemaker at 19 aint that bad is it?...

Im also learning how to make Omirice. :D I can cook pretty well, so its not that hard for me to learn, but I must admit, Omirice is hard to make.

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Nov 23rd, '05, 18:46

Jeremiah wrote:Sure but there's lots of them that I don't know what to choose, so preferably a nice japanese recipe
If you haven't found any good yet, let me know.
n30hybr1d wrote:When I when in Japan I couldn't find a place that served vegetarian ramen
You can't be serious. Didn't you ever notice they actually prepare the soups right in front of your nose? Why didn't you just ask them to leave out the meat for you? :roll
duffojosh wrote: [yeah oden is the best, what type of nabe dish do you like?
I don't know which specific nabe it was. I only remember a soup with lots of vegetables in it. I don't think I ever tried Oden. I checked on it on the internet just to be sure and it says it has fishcakes in it. I think I'd remember having eaten fishcakes, so count that out.
I just remembered (while I was looking for a picture that shows Oden) that my host family once treated me to Domburi with Gyuudon on it (I think). Yuck, that was awful. I took like 3 or 4 bites of the way too fatty meat and I was full already. My poor host family finished their Domburi pots so quickly, they had to wait for me for like 15 or 20 minutes, and I didn't even manage to eat the half of it! Who can eat that much (fatty) meat and rice anyway? x_x
*craving for mochi at the moment* That very sticky sort of mochi made of mashed-rice and anko filling. I was always wondering if they are called "Manju". Some describe "Manju" as this and I also bought a box of manju in Kyoto which were exactly like that. But then again they once ate manju in Ranma ½ and it was nothing but plain brown cream. More like anko actually. Anyone knows the difference? :scratch:

pinky

Post by pinky » Nov 23rd, '05, 19:21

It's 2am now and reading this thread made me so hungry!! I'm really craving for katsu don now, that is fried pork chops on barli rice with lots and lots of cabbage with grapefruit dressing.
Had that at a mall in Tokyo and it was super YUM!! :P :P
I wanna go back to Japan!! :-(

pokute
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by pokute » Nov 23rd, '05, 19:33

mallepa wrote:I wanna eat natto, I've never tasted it before ^^;;
Gah! No, you do not want to eat natto!!

To make natto:

Boil some beans until they are soft. Put the OPEN pot with the beans somewhere where it will stay around body temperature. Wait three days, and if you can stand to look at it, go ahead and TRY to eat it!!

When we were in Japan our friend (trying to be funny) said that if you want to be Japanese, you must eat natto! Two of her three kids left the table immediately...

Demibaby

Post by Demibaby » Nov 23rd, '05, 20:09

I think natto tastes like beer...

What I crave the most is ramen, but I love and always make shabu shabu, especially in the winter. My ultimate favorites , though, are uni and hamachi sashimi.

Onigiri is super easy to make, all you do is open a can of tuna, add a lil Japanese mayo and salt, and put it in the middle of rice, squish the rice into a ball, and wrap a piece of seaweed around it. Or you can pan fry some salmon, sprinkle with salt, do same thing with rice and make salmon onigiri. How hard is that?

pokute
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by pokute » Nov 23rd, '05, 20:23

Extremely mild natto tastes like beer... a lot of natto tastes like a kitten that you found under the porch that died a week ago.

kiddyl

Post by kiddyl » Nov 24th, '05, 03:08

n30hybr1d wrote:When I when in Japan I couldn't find a place that served vegetarian ramen :glare:
I love onigiri and furikake.
Pretty difficult to find vegetarian Ramen in Japan. Have you seen how they make the broth? It's 100% meatsoup. If you eat ramen quite often you'll see them try to get the meat out of the soup to slice it into pieces and then serve it to the customers. The soup itself is almost the most important part of a good ramen.

I miss Japanese food really a lot. Can't make it myself, although we tried to make okonomiaky once and we succeded quite well.

What I miss most is ramen, then I think tempura, but shabu shabu is very nice too with many people. Nomi hodai with food is also very nice. Every time I was suprised how many different things they can serve in two hours time.

Hayashi_kun

Post by Hayashi_kun » Nov 24th, '05, 03:18

i love udon, sashimi, sushi, curry rice, really almost everything... oh n i heard how terrible natto is, i doubt i'll like it too... but must try the next time.

we do have ALOT of japanese restaurants in singapore... a pity the really good ones are real expensive... well have to put up with the so-so ones...

mt877

Post by mt877 » Nov 24th, '05, 05:28

Just looking at the pic below makes me queazy.
pokute wrote:
mallepa wrote:I wanna eat natto, I've never tasted it before ^^;;
Gah! No, you do not want to eat natto!!

To make natto:

Boil some beans until they are soft. Put the OPEN pot with the beans somewhere where it will stay around body temperature. Wait three days, and if you can stand to look at it, go ahead and TRY to eat it!!

When we were in Japan our friend (trying to be funny) said that if you want to be Japanese, you must eat natto! Two of her three kids left the table immediately...
After following pokute's recipe, this is what you can expect to eat...

Image thanks to Tu_triky at JDorama:

Hayashi_kun

Post by Hayashi_kun » Nov 24th, '05, 13:52

i've read how some of u actually have to purchase japanese foodstuff online...
oh my. japanese food lovers must have suffered. :pale:
to tink i always complain how small and uninteresting singapore is...
we have... japanese supermarkets, japanese department stores, and even the
local ones have a japanese food section, n countless japanese restaurants...
im feeling thankful. :cheers:

kinki

Post by kinki » Nov 24th, '05, 16:47

Japanese food is my fav food! not coz i love j-dramas! :P then comes korean Beef Bulgoki! i just love it!

i tried Natto before, i didnt like the smell but i was able to eat it.

you should try careraisu (curry rice) yum!
or those Teriyaki chicken! yummy!
you gotta have some shabu shabu or sukiyaki yummies!!

OMG im drooling now! gotta go eat smthg!

Miko Miko

I love Curry rice

Post by Miko Miko » Dec 29th, '05, 01:06

I LOVE CURRY RICE i can eat it everyday all day i'm also a big fan of korean BBQ and teriyaki chicken i've had natto one time and i've nevere had it again (yuck) i also like bonito also i like Hi chew,pocky,and lotte gum. and thats it.

dan12

Post by dan12 » Dec 29th, '05, 01:10

its kinda funny cause i met the japanese excahnge student and she was like i gained 20 punds from eating american food, GTeez thats why america is soo fat.

akkiyachan

Post by akkiyachan » Dec 29th, '05, 01:22

I'm craving:

okonomiyaki, curry rice, veggie tempura (eggplant, asparagus, etc.), croquette (sp?), soumen

Some tabehodai would be nice...

kerumai

Post by kerumai » Dec 30th, '05, 10:16

Hmmm, I'm craving sobagaki, onigiri (but only the "negi toro wasabi" and "butter tarako" variety), and anything with cooked gouya in it.

Janica10

Post by Janica10 » Feb 12th, '11, 08:41

Japanese restaurants are good places to hang out, because the food is good and the atmosphere is cool and relaxed. More and more people are becoming fans of Japanese food, because it is also very healthy, making them look and Japanese recipes. Japanese food recipe that is easy to follow. There are a lot of food using the teriyaki sauce, and it is certainly a great addition to meat, where the taste is spicy and sweet. ,

fast food packaging

wobblywalker

Post by wobblywalker » Mar 22nd, '11, 15:47

The top foods I crave when watching JDramas are takoyaki, karaage chicken, korokke, omurice, and those large rolled crepes with fruit and whipped cream, ice cream, chocolate drizzles, and whatever they put in those things. Oh yes, and cream puffs or any of those fancy cake things they show from their pastry counters They do so many dramas with yummy cake!

wobblywalker

Post by wobblywalker » Mar 22nd, '11, 16:16

Oh yeah, @Kathleen, the mochi you describe sounds like daifuku. I love daifuku but I crave ohagi because the ones I got at the store seemed sweeter. I love mochi icecream too. But after reading these entries I think I'll go make a pot of chicken curry rice, yum. Sometimes I crave takikomi gohan and chikuzen ni as well. I don't see how those Japanese ladies stay so thin amidst all that wonderful food. One of my favorites is kimpira gobo, but it's a pain to make, julienne gobo is a mindless activity yet you have to be so careful not to cut yourself.

Cowzilla

Post by Cowzilla » Mar 22nd, '11, 17:08

なっとが大好き。本当ですよ。でも、大嫌いな食べ物はしおからです。酷い味だと思う。
I love natto! But, the food I hate is shiokara. I think it has a disgusting flavor.

さあ、今食べたい食べ物はどちかな。外に寒いだから、カツカレーは美味しそうだと思う。
So, I wonder which food I would want to eat now? It's cold outside, so I think katsu-curry sounds delicious!

(だめな日本語だから、ごめんなさい。)
(For the bad Japanese, please, forgive me.)

wobblywalker

Post by wobblywalker » Mar 22nd, '11, 17:26

I didn't know what shiokara was so I had to look it up

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shiokara

Do they really eat it like that or do they mix it in with cooking food like fish sauce or oyster sauce? I could see using it as a seasoning or something. But the description doesn't sound very nice.

Cowzilla

Post by Cowzilla » Mar 22nd, '11, 17:55

wobblywalker wrote:I didn't know what shiokara was so I had to look it up

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shiokara

Do they really eat it like that or do they mix it in with cooking food like fish sauce or oyster sauce? I could see using it as a seasoning or something. But the description doesn't sound very nice.
普通にご飯の上に食べます。
Usually it is eaten on top of rice.

:pale:

全然好きじゃないでした。
I didn't like it all!

wobblywalker

Post by wobblywalker » Mar 22nd, '11, 19:04

Your 'shiokara' emoticon says it all.
:P
I tried natto handroll sushi, it was pretty good. But when I bought some natto and ate it with rice it didn't float my boat, I wonder if people add something to it.

Cowzilla

Post by Cowzilla » Mar 22nd, '11, 20:04

wobblywalker wrote:Your 'shiokara' emoticon says it all.
:P
I tried natto handroll sushi, it was pretty good. But when I bought some natto and ate it with rice it didn't float my boat, I wonder if people add something to it.
醤油と辛子と一緒になっとを食べてみましたか。本当に美味しいです。
Did you try eating the natto with soy sauce and mustard? Really, it is delicious.

でも、普通の醤油じゃないと思います。ちょっと甘いソースです。そばつゆかな。
But, it isn't a normal soy sauce, It is a slightly sweet sauce. I wonder if it is soba dipping sauce.

wobblywalker

Post by wobblywalker » Mar 22nd, '11, 20:13

The natto came in a frozen pkg with some mustard and sauce, but the taste was lacking something. Maybe it was too pre-packaged. Maybe it wasn't from soybeans, in the picture the beans are so huge, the one I ate had small beans the size of blackbeans. I hear green onions go well, maybe I'll try it with that. I saw it on Galileo and thought it wouldn't be so bad to try. But they seemed to eat it with a lot more gusto than I felt.

Cowzilla

Post by Cowzilla » Mar 22nd, '11, 20:24

wobblywalker wrote:But they seemed to eat it with a lot more gusto than I felt.
:lol

wobblywalker

Post by wobblywalker » Apr 11th, '11, 14:33

Waaaahoooo! My Japanese friend just showed me how to make delish chicken karaage:

1 pkg boneless chicken thighs, cut up to nugget size (they say the skin on is more delicious)
marinate 1-2 hrs in:

1/3 c shoyu
1/3 c sake
1 tsp garlic powder
2" knob of fresh ginger, grated
grated zest and juice of one lemon

Heat an inch of oil (enough to cover nuggets) to 375 degrees, meanwhile roll the marinated nuggets in potato starch, pressing it in with your fingers so it's well coated, fry while turning several times until chicken is well done and crispy. It won't be golden brown but will have some carmelized bits on each side and start turning darkish. Place finished chicken on rack to drain oil, sprinkle salt and serve with wedges of fresh lemon. Goes well with a mound of fresh cabbage slaw and rice, according to her. Great as bento the next day. Yummy!

dtyc

Post by dtyc » Apr 11th, '11, 15:52

Does anyone have a recipe for Onigiri? What brand of rice to use? Thx much.

wobblywalker

Post by wobblywalker » Apr 11th, '11, 17:23

OMG, someone just showed me how to make onigiri last month, I've practically eaten nothing but riceballs ever since, I use Tamanishiki rice for onigiri, or Kokuho, rinse and soak for half an hour, make in a rice cooker and leave the lid on at least 15 minutes after it clicks off. Meanwhile, take a couple sheets of nori seaweed and over a hot stove burner lightly run it over the flame or burner on both sides to slightly roast it. Take scissors and cut the roasted nori into strips and set aside. In a separate bowl have water handy and a salt shaker too. I also like shiso Furikake sprinkles. With a rice paddle, put a quantity of the cooked rice into a separate bowl and paddle it a bit to break up clumping, sprinkle some furikake at this point and incorporate it if you like. Have a big plate handy to put finished rice balls onto. Wait until the rice is cool enough to handle. Wet your hands (like, really wet, run them under the faucet), sprinkle your palms with a bit of salt and paddle a mound of rice into your hands and start forming the rice ball. If your hands aren't wet the rice will stick like crazy. Form triangles or round or whatever, but use only enough pressure to make the form, not smash the rice. At this point I also would have handy a small bowl of takuan pieces or umeboshi, or tuna (equal parts tuna, mayo, sprinkle some salt and pepper - for a really authentic taste use Kewpie mayonnaise), poke a bit of which ever you like into the center of your riceball, wrap with a strip of the roasted nori, line them up on the plate. The person who showed me said it's good to use rice that you just made, but it's ok to use day old rice I guess, if you have to use it up. There are many other fillings too, I saw a lot on youtube. Good luck!

sayapikun

Post by sayapikun » Aug 5th, '11, 05:43

I just ate Japanese curry rice with my friends yesterday. Really addictive, although next time we'll have to maximize the spiciness XDD. And also we have green tea parfait, homemade pudding parfait, and chocolate parfait. So delicious 'Q'_________

WildMuffins

Post by WildMuffins » Sep 30th, '11, 06:33

Thought we could all use a good laugh and this seemed the appropriate topic: Winner of an Ig Nobel Prize this year:

Chemistry prize: Makoto Imai, Naoki Urushihata, Hideki Tanemura, Yukinobu Tajima, Hideaki Goto, Koichiro Mizoguchi and Junichi Murakami for determining the ideal density of airborne wasabi (pungent horseradish) to awaken sleeping people in case of a fire or other emergency, and for applying this knowledge to invent the wasabi alarm. Reference: US patent application 2010/0308995 A1. Filing date: Feb 5, 2009.

odaesan

Post by odaesan » Nov 17th, '11, 01:16

Is there some kind of special bread for yakisoba pan?

I want to eat it.

SaruSurfer

Post by SaruSurfer » Nov 17th, '11, 20:56

The bread used for yakisoba pan is コッペパン(Koppe pan). Its also used for hot dogs, cream pan, croquette pan.and katsu sandwich.

I remember this bread being served during lunch at elementary school. :-)

odaesan

Post by odaesan » Nov 21st, '11, 02:25

SaruSurfer wrote:The bread used for yakisoba pan is コッペパン(Koppe pan). Its also used for hot dogs, cream pan, croquette pan.and katsu sandwich.

I remember this bread being served during lunch at elementary school. :-)
Thank you very much! :D

raingirl

Post by raingirl » Mar 5th, '12, 05:53

My favorite Japanese foods are definitely ramen, botamochi, and Tonaktsu.

What I am craving right now are takoyaki (with lots of mayonnaise!), hot udon, and Tonkatsu with sweet sauce! And if it's not enough, some sake please! :)

StaffordBarbara

Post by StaffordBarbara » Mar 16th, '12, 07:01

it is really important for me how to make natural Japanese Sushi.By the way those in restaurants are they real sushi or not? However they taste nice nut honestly I think it's different to the natural product

Flora89

Post by Flora89 » Mar 28th, '12, 09:58

"By the way those in restaurants are they real sushi or not?" - no! If you're not in Japan. It is actually easy to make Suchi but you need to spend a lot of time on it.