Most Overrated K-Dramas

Discuss Korean drama series here.
maakopla

Post by maakopla » Jun 27th, '09, 18:34

ParadiseLost wrote:
br4nd0n wrote:
I can't believe some people are saying My Girl. She was unexpectedly funny. The first time I thought it was ok, but the second time I was shocked at the funny stupid things she did. (like bumping her head against the wall whenshe jumped on the bed, and the many embarrassing moments and lies she was caught in.)
yeah i thought the same thing too. It starts out very slow but as it goes along its very funny.
I agree. My Girl might have been funny (but mostly just embarassing) at the beginning but halfway it turned into very boring melodrama with too much angsting and crying. I have watched almost all the other dramas My Girl's screenwriters wrote and it happens in all of their dramas. Even Hong Gil Dong was wrecked from it's good start to the point I hated the latter half of it.

About My Gil, I just hate Lee Da Hee. she is oen of the worst actresses ever, talk about overrated... I just cannot understand why she is so pupular? My girl might have been hecka better drama but Lee Da Hee... she has a few expressions she used in whole 16 episode drama, only those few!!! And she also wrecked East iof Eden, gosh I hated her character the most! Such a boring actress!! BORING I say.

Talking about East of Eden.. overrated. Totally overrated. Too much loopholes and confusing time jumps leaving things unfinished, too much crying, too littel action, Lee Da Hee.... too theatralic, unnatural moments, too long, too much unessesary content.. totally overrated!!!

Goodnessgracious

Post by Goodnessgracious » Jul 3rd, '09, 15:39

Boys Over Flowers. It was just bad. Mediocre acting, bad directing, stupid plot events. Yoko Kamio wrote a perfectly good story, which did not need to be ruined by introducing cliched elements such as: estranged grandfather, comatose father, ruined dreams of becoming a swimmer, etc.

Autumn Tale and Full House. I am not saying they were bad, just boring.

garnet07

Post by garnet07 » Jul 5th, '09, 09:58

Most overrated is Goong ... almost avoided all of Yoon Eun Hye's projects because of this drama but Ioved her role in Coffee Prince. None of the actors (can we even call them that) can actually act. Fan of the manga, but the drama entirely ruined it.

Also, East of Eden ... sure I just watched the first 4 episodes, but from only seeing those, I can already predict what a long winded, angst driven drama it will be so I dropped it. How could you guys stand to watch all (how many episodes were there?) when you know nothing good is gonna come out of it. Hmm, maybe because of the awesome actors lined up, but what was up with that script?

alchocoholic

Post by alchocoholic » Jul 20th, '09, 01:16

Goodnessgracious wrote:Boys Over Flowers. It was just bad. Mediocre acting, bad directing, stupid plot events. Yoko Kamio wrote a perfectly good story, which did not need to be ruined by introducing cliched elements such as: estranged grandfather, comatose father, ruined dreams of becoming a swimmer, etc.
I agree that Boys Before Flowers is wayyyy overrated. It's a messy drama but someone a few pages back said this series was like a guilty pleasure and I agree to that as well. It's not the best drama but it was fun to watch.

Yes, kamio may have written a great story but I have to give the korean version some major points for trying to change things up a bit instead of following the original storyline. No one wants to watch the same exact events unfolding again, albeit in a different language, so I think the cliched elements you mentioned were written in to attract korean audiences and they actually worked in a way.

debuf

Post by debuf » Jul 20th, '09, 09:08

Some of them may have been a bit "overrated", but I liked "Coffee Prince", "My Girl", and "Witch Yoo Hee". I REALLY liked "Full House" and "East of Eden".
Kobe23 wrote: Yeah Full House wasn't exactly the most interesting k-drama ever, but the leads had great chemistry which was the reason most people liked it. And besides, I would watch a drama of Song Hye Kyo putting up wallpaper in her house. For 16 episodes. Who's with me?
Umm...yeah, I could do that. :roll

Most overrated? I'd go with:

- "Goong": Like most posters here, I didn't care much for it - although I just figured it was a "kiddie" show and let it go. I found it mildly entertaining at best. I think Yoon Eun Hye did much better in "Vineyard Man", actually.

- "Phoenix": I've never seen anyone walk as slowly --- ALL THE TIME --- as the female lead did after the first couple of episodes. Whenever she was shown walking I'd think "there she goes again" and I'd head for the fast-forward button. I swear she'd have to start walking right after dinner just to get to work by morning. I couldn't understand why any guy in his right mind would be so attracted to such a depressing, expressionless person. Jung Hye-young did a GREAT job playing the jilted, demented stalker, though - that alone made it worth the watch (Jung Hye-young played the ultra-together, always calm "Janice" in "East of Eden" - which was still pretty fresh in my mind when I saw "Phoenix".)

- "My Name is Kim Sam Soong": Similarly, I just couldn't get myself to like the main character. (My Other really liked the series, though.)

asaboy23

Post by asaboy23 » Jul 27th, '09, 17:42

Goong
boys over flower was ok
full house - super overrated, story is repeatable

rrmski

Post by rrmski » May 13th, '10, 10:47

In my opinion:

1) Boys Over Flowes. (They added so many unnecessary details, it was dragged, the acting wasn't good, and the characters were annoying especially the female lead)

2) Although I liked Full House (I have to admit it was a dull and repetitive)

3) My Name is Kim Sam Soon (my first Kdrama I ever watched which revealed to me the world og korean dramas, but after watching many other much greater Kdramas, I realised that My Name is Kim Sam Soon wasn't that great, it was cynical and the ending was disturbing)

riki_kun

Post by riki_kun » May 13th, '10, 14:05

Boys Over Flowers , an unnecessary bad remake of the Japanese Masterpiece

Full House , just boring and silly , also the male character was really annoying.

Autumn Tale , boring and highly depressing , an unbearable torture from begin till end.

pollamolla

Post by pollamolla » May 18th, '10, 23:49

For me are:

Sorry, I Love You - Oh, my God... so much tragedy for nothing, and they do nothing...
Stairway to Heaven - Serious? Why so sad and draggy...
Full House - Until episode 3 awsome, from episode 7 to 15 a bunch of crap and 16 couldnt save the drama from plain jane...
Coffee House - I know... only two episodes have aired, but, Whats the story? Is there a story and why did they put Han Eun Jung as the female lead... why, she's bellow plain jane

lenrasoon

Post by lenrasoon » May 19th, '10, 00:07

i have to say "You're Beautiful" it was entertaining but the worst sisters Hong work till date.

riki_kun

Post by riki_kun » May 19th, '10, 14:59

lenrasoon wrote:i have to say "You're Beautiful" it was entertaining but the worst sisters Hong work till date.
God No! is one of the best Korean dramas ever made!

The Chaos
Upload Addict
Upload Addict

Post by The Chaos » May 19th, '10, 15:22

Full House ..I loved it because It was my first Korean drama but then I found much better Dramas than FH

chasen8888

Post by chasen8888 » May 19th, '10, 16:29

For me it was Full House - its a crock, Boys over Flowers - what a way to ruin Geum Jandi's character I had so much expectations and East of Eden - do not let me get started on that one. For 2010 so far it has been Assorted Gems - what a total waste of key characters and a big hypocritical mess as well and Wish Upon a Star - it had so much potential but from episode 16 onwards it was a sad sad joke, I had to delete it from my computer afterwards as I was very disappointed. :x

TylerDurden2604

Post by TylerDurden2604 » May 23rd, '10, 22:03

Ruler of Your Own World!!!

No Idea, what people see in this Drama.
I watched it for LEE NA YOUNG but it took me over a month to finish it.
There were so many awkward situations and bad dialogue in 20 looooong episodes.

Now i often stare at my Original DVD-BOX, shake my head and cry like LEE NA YOUNG.
An she cried, believe me. Over and Over again. With every bodyfluid imaginable. Not to speak of the sounds she made.

Oh Man, i couldn´t watch SOMEONE SPECIAL for a long time. (and i love that movie!!!)

Maybe ROYOW was too real for me. Because i watch Dramas not to get real but to escape reality and enter the world of love and tears etc.

Sorry, but that´s just my opinion.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » May 23rd, '10, 22:12

Someone Special is a MUST SEE. Period. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :wub:

TylerDurden2604

Post by TylerDurden2604 » May 23rd, '10, 23:06

Ethlenn wrote:Someone Special is a MUST SEE. Period. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :wub:
That´s true. It was one my early korean movie experiences. And one of the best.

Ruler of Your Own World is the one i don´t like. So don´t get me wrong!!!

Shindo Hikaru

Post by Shindo Hikaru » Jun 18th, '10, 13:30

1) My name is Kim Sam Soon (forced myself to watch the first episode. Tried the second episode and just walked away.)
2) Goong (Cannot stand the older characters. Annoyed the hell out of me. Only watched the first episode. I was fast forwarding past the parts with those characters from the empirical palace and it seemed like it was going on forever.)
3) My Girl (watched it all however I wanted to stop watching it mid way.)

Hahaha Winter Sonata was the very first drama I watched. I was touched and also I thought Bae Yong Jun was hot. I watched the drama again and found that it was boring. What was I thinking and Bae Yong Jun didn't look as attractive as I had thought.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Jun 18th, '10, 13:45

Shindo Hikaru wrote:1) My name is Kim Sam Soon (forced myself to watch the first episode. Tried the second episode and just walked away.)
Hmm, I've seen the drama 4 times and I had a great fun. :whistling:

Another overrated drama? IRIS. Don't get me wrong, Lee Byung Hun made me drop it. I prefer the movie Shiri...

Issy

Post by Issy » Jun 18th, '10, 14:07

most definitly My Girl.
i watched it because of the whole buzz around it and little bit because of LJK :mrgreen: but i thought it was just an ordinary drama. nothing to hype over it.
it was too dragging and story kept repeating itself. i think i got my dislike of LDH from this drama. she still fails to impress me somehow.

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Jun 18th, '10, 15:28

Boys Over Flowers

Lots seem to love it and I think it sucks. Annoying characters, awful acting, every cliche and soap-opera twist you can think of, including a memory loss drama (oh come on!).
The only thing good about that series were the locations it was filmed at and the fact that it was such an immature piece of work that gave me and my mom some good laughs.
I don't know if there are others who share my opinion, but this is what I think. So yes, in my eyes this is veeery overrated.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Jun 18th, '10, 16:29

Oh, dear, I hate BOF, I managed to watch 11 episodes in total. But then I couldn't stand Kim Hyun Joong wooden acting... actually, no, my table acts better...
...hiding from tomatoes.........
My Girl was pretty annoying.
But then again, YAB is also overpraised. It's childish as every Hong Sister's script.

Bulykin

Post by Bulykin » Jun 18th, '10, 16:56

Nodame Cantabile
Very annoying, forced and absolutely not funny a series. Very seem to stick to the anime, that is why it was forced.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Jun 18th, '10, 17:00

It's not a K-drama, but I have to agree^^

gilnis
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by gilnis » Jun 18th, '10, 17:15

Orion1986 wrote:Boys Over Flowers

Lots seem to love it and I think it sucks. Annoying characters, awful acting, every cliche and soap-opera twist you can think of, including a memory loss drama (oh come on!).
Orion, Ethlenn, you're so welcome. I believed I was the only one who thinks this way. I totally agree. It was such a waste of time to have watched it.
I'm interested in music very much. So that was the first good thing when I could listen Mario & Nasty's Never say goodbye from My Girl soundtrack in the third or fourth episode. At first I was very happy to hear Liszt's La Romanesca too, because it's a beautiful melody, but later I couldn't stand when that "prince" started to play it.
There hasn't been any other kdrama I've disliked this much. I think Koreans saw that Hana Yori Dango had become so popular, and they wanted to tower above it by hook or by crook. Well, less is more, they really failed, at least in my opinion. I wish they didn't do it.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Jun 18th, '10, 17:54

Welcome to the family, Gilnis.
Yup, we pointed someplace else about the "competition" air that was felt over it.
It didn't bring drama any good. It just made it absurd and very, very bad.
Not even LMH saved it.
I tried to watch Full House back then (still, I haven't watched it properly), it's a nice drama, but totally overhyped. Not that entirelly bad though. Damn, it has Bi and his smile in it.

spiral_flare

Post by spiral_flare » Jul 26th, '10, 22:18

Don't hate me but:

Coffee Prince - just NO
My Name is Kim Sam Soon
You Are Beautiful (best drama of 2009? I DON'T THINK SO)

amktsy

Post by amktsy » Aug 9th, '10, 06:34

Boys Over Flower and My Name is Kim Sam Soon.
Boys Over Flowers - i only managed to finish 8 episodes but it's popular within my classmates.
My Name is Kim sam soon - nice but overrated.

i realise i will get butthurt easily if i continue reading this thread.

knuts

Post by knuts » Aug 9th, '10, 07:51

I Am Sorry, I Love You

I watched till the very last minute waiting for it to get interesting. And then it was suddenly over and absolutely nothing happened. I regret every milisec I spent on watching it. It was the first K-drama that disappointed me.

Goong

Nice setting, but that is all. I have not finished it. Don't like the leads. Can't stand the male lead.

You Are Beautiful

Watched it because of the hype about it, but .....maybe I expected too much.

Viande

Post by Viande » Aug 9th, '10, 15:27

knuts wrote:I Am Sorry, I Love You

I watched till the very last minute waiting for it to get interesting. And then it was suddenly over and absolutely nothing happened. I regret every milisec I spent on watching it. It was the first K-drama that disappointed me.
Ahh, I'm currently watching it and also wondering when it will turn interesting. I haven't shed any tears yet even tough I have heard that it's very sad drama? Should I still continue or give up?

Anyway, I can't really say which dramas are overrated as I have mostly dropped the ones I didn't like in 1-6 episodes. But these I started watching because they were recommended in several places but they were pain to watch (for the episodes I managed to watch):
Let's go to School Sang-doo
Boys Before Flowers
Fantasy Couple
Witch Amusement

Also Soulmate was ok drama, I liked the ost very much but I think the story lacked something, it wasn't very interesting and I found the main pairing very strange... ending was also a bit "what, this was it?". So far I haven't heard anyone dissing it so I guess I could name Soulmate as overrated in my opinion. *hides*

knuts

Post by knuts » Aug 9th, '10, 21:03

Viande wrote:
knuts wrote:I Am Sorry, I Love You

Ahh, I'm currently watching it and also wondering when it will turn interesting. I haven't shed any tears yet even tough I have heard that it's very sad drama? Should I still continue or give up?

Anyway, I can't really say which dramas are overrated as I have mostly dropped the ones I didn't like in 1-6 episodes. But these I started watching because they were recommended in several places but they were pain to watch (for the episodes I managed to watch):
Let's go to School Sang-doo
Boys Before Flowers
Fantasy Couple
Witch Amusement

Also Soulmate was ok drama, I liked the ost very much but I think the story lacked something, it wasn't very interesting and I found the main pairing very strange... ending was also a bit "what, this was it?". So far I haven't heard anyone dissing it so I guess I could name Soulmate as overrated in my opinion. *hides*
Funny, most of the drama's you mention are not the ones I would recommend either.

I watched Let's go to School Sang-doo and didn't like like it. Though it was not as bad as I Am Sorry I Love You.

Boys Before Flowers: I liked LMH. The first 12 eps are quite ok as a story, but the second half has many "holes", but I still enjoyed it because of LMH.

Fantasy Couple: I did not watch, because I liked the American film on which it was based, and did not think that the drama could be any better than that.

Soulmate: I did not watch....I think. Can't remember. So....

Witch Amusement: I regret burning it on a DVD ( which I used to do with all drama's I downloaded due to lack of HDD space..... a few years back). I dropped it somewhere halfway...? Don't remember. What a waste of time and resources I would say, the whole drama is.

As for your question whether you should continue or not with "I Am Sorry I Love You".......well, you know my answer......LOL

Well, let us say, would it not be better spending your time watching something that you do enjoy?

And try to watch it again when like you have really nothing else to watch, do or read?

Viande

Post by Viande » Aug 14th, '10, 15:42

knuts wrote: Well, let us say, would it not be better spending your time watching something that you do enjoy?

And try to watch it again when like you have really nothing else to watch, do or read?
Naturally. I was just wondering if it was going to get any better in later episodes. However, I decided to continue and I think it's starting to get in better direction now... but the flashbacks... never seen so many and so often in any other dramas before >.<

edit: Just finished the last episode and I must say I cried enough for the first 10 or so "dry" episodes while watching the last 6. Yeah, it was sad. :cry:

jini_14

Post by jini_14 » Aug 17th, '10, 02:16

I dont get it why these dramas are so overrated.. I just think that because of the lead characters that is why these dramas are overrated even though the plot of the story is so common. ;p

1. Boys over flowers- Don't bash me but I guess Hana Yori Dango is better. ;-)
2. Cofee prince- The story was interesting though but ...
3. Full House- We all know how popular Rain and Song Hye Gyo are. So we should not be shock if this drama goes overrated.
4. Endless Love: Autumn in My Heart- The first kdrama that moves my heart. A tearful, heart-touching drama and I hate the ending part.
5. Winter Sonata- I dont get it why this drama is soooo. I dont like the story goes. T_T.
6. Goong- I guess Goong-S is much way better. Se7en. <3. It is not because of Se7en why i love Goong-s but the story is so interesting and I can feel the chemistry of the lead characters. All of the episodes are not boring.
7. YAB- Owkie! My two favorites are here Jang geun suk and Lee hongki but I got bored at the middle of the drama. I dont know why but the story is so dragging.
8. My girl- lol.. This one is so famous but the whole story is just so hilarious. ;p

12bucklemyshoe

Post by 12bucklemyshoe » Aug 17th, '10, 20:48

My opinions:

Coffee Prince. It's nice and touching in the middle but it wasn't interesting at the end. I didn't even finish it.
Winter Sonata. It got really stupid and overly dramatic and just no.
You Are Beautiful. It's a nice drama but it's not fantastic or great like many people like to make it out to be. It's worth one watch - not worth a rewatch in my opinion.
My Girlfriend is a Gumiho. Two episodes in and it's already overrated. Very predictable in my opinion and I think the Hong Sisters have one plot they retell over and over. The characters are also very similar to other characters in their previous dramas. It's cute and funny and even though it's fantasy, the characters are very unoriginal.
Goong. Too boring.

Arhazivory

Post by Arhazivory » Aug 19th, '10, 03:34

Goong was overrated. I enjoyed it yes but there were times when I wanted to kick the main characters...like seriously kick them for being so annoying.

My name is Kim Sam Soon. I watched it and it was fine but really...the hype over it, I didn't get.

x0xlilpunkx0x

Post by x0xlilpunkx0x » Aug 19th, '10, 03:51

Spring Waltz (The acting was bad), My Girl (main girl pissed me off), Full House (didn't finish it), Goong (realllyy draggy) and Coffee Prince (couldn't finish it) D:

kimchiramen

Post by kimchiramen » Aug 19th, '10, 04:42

I agree with all the above for k dramas.
For jdramas, its hana yori dango. don't kill me yet..... I just think the acting is realllyyyy baad. The story is terribly layed out and everyone is annoying. I never understood the fuss. Now you can kill me.

gilnis
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by gilnis » Aug 19th, '10, 07:21

I don’t think there was bad acting in Spring Waltz. At least it wasn’t worse than in the most kdramas. It wasn’t overrated either. How can we say that? Then what would we say about Boys Over Flowers or You’re Beautiful? I liked Spring Waltz very much but it isn't perfect. I was always pissed at that pointless multilanguage thing.

Kimchiramen, noone will kill you. But … are you joking? You must have misunderstood something. You can say the story is idiotic or whatever, but how can you dislike the characters and the acting? Well, we're not the same.. By the way it's about kdramas..

misctalk

Post by misctalk » Aug 19th, '10, 07:52

For me, it's Full House. The main characters seem to be eating & cleaning most of the time.

Neliets

Post by Neliets » Aug 19th, '10, 09:05

misctalk wrote:For me, it's Full House. The main characters seem to be eating & cleaning most of the time.
And running.

Anyhow, I disagree with those who say that Goong and My girl are overrated. I've watched them 3 times. If they'd be that overrated, then I couldn't watch them 3 times.

ilovesandobiscuits

Post by ilovesandobiscuits » Sep 4th, '10, 17:47

Coffee prince!Didn't finish it,it's on my failed drama list
you are beautiful-it's not not that great,excessive rating,i've watched better dramas
Boys over flowers-that's because i prefer Hana yori dango :P

Jackimi

Post by Jackimi » Sep 10th, '10, 08:04

For me:

Boys Over Flowers - Too long and boring (and sometimes annoying).
You Are Beautiful - Entertaining but nothing more.
Goong - I'm not going to watch it once more.
Personal Preference - I lost my interest halfway, while I was watching it. Lee Min Ho is a cute boy but his acting skills... um... :whistling:

gilnis
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by gilnis » Sep 10th, '10, 08:09

Jackimi wrote:Lee Min Ho is a cute boy but his acting skills... um... :whistling:
You're sooooo right!!! I also didn't like Personal Taste but hate BOF too. Sometimes? No!! It was always annoing!! My worst Kdrama ever.. :whistling:

Jackimi

Post by Jackimi » Sep 10th, '10, 08:19

gilnis wrote:Sometimes? No!! It was always annoing!! My worst Kdrama ever.. :whistling:
OK, as you wish... it was annoying all along :mrgreen:

haitopho

Post by haitopho » Sep 10th, '10, 08:42

full house...more like full crap
they story jst draggggged, i mean some scenes were quite funny...for the 1st millionth time --

Serienjunkie

Post by Serienjunkie » Sep 13th, '10, 13:13

I saw begun only recently doramas and to me therefore many series on recommendations regarded. I found most also really greatly (My Girl, Coffee Prince...) however with 2 cannot I the Hype not reconstruct.

My name is Kim Sam Soon
I found the first 6 episodes still very funny and interesting, but afterwards the series reduces strongly. She is 30 years old, behaves however frequently like 12 covered childish and was caught ever more at to nerves.

I found its past still completely interesting and sad with the accident, but the thing with the ill ex was too much for me. The direction did not please me, in that the series developed at all. Hyun was the only gloss light of the series. Sexy and funny. :mrgreen:
Unfortunate, there one could have made more from this series.

Goong
I cannot understand really, why this series is so popular. I am straight with episode 9 and I find Goong by sections in such a way boring. The main actress does not have charisma and the two leading actors no chemistry.
Neither funny, nor romantically. That's too bad!

21hanabishi

Post by 21hanabishi » Sep 21st, '10, 13:13

Your Beautiful, Goong, Boys over Flower - super fan based kdrama....... most people are talking about the lead stars not the drama it self......!

Dont agree with the full house, winter sonata ........... are not overrated ....... its just what comes to your mine when you talks about korean drama....

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Sep 21st, '10, 13:19

Hmm.. rushing to save Goong... for both leads this drama was their first, so I don't see how it was a fan material in the first place. It appeals to fans, yes, but being done after a shoujo manhwa, it was all natural.

And yes, Full House is overrated. BOF as well. Also, Brilliant Legacy.

Neliets

Post by Neliets » Sep 21st, '10, 16:01

Ethlenn wrote:Hmm.. rushing to save Goong... for both leads this drama was their first, so I don't see how it was a fan material in the first place. It appeals to fans, yes, but being done after a shoujo manhwa, it was all natural.

And yes, Full House is overrated. BOF as well. Also, Brilliant Legacy.
Totally agreed. ;D I don't even know the real name of the male lead in Goong.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Sep 21st, '10, 16:28

Ju Jihun. Now in the army.
Neliets, you watched The Devil, right?? The same guy!

Neliets

Post by Neliets » Sep 21st, '10, 16:37

Ethlenn wrote:Ju Jihun. Now in the army.
Neliets, you watched The Devil, right?? The same guy!
I know that it's the same guy but I didn't know the name. By the way, I saw him in another drama but he wasn't lead.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Sep 21st, '10, 16:50

Are you talking about Old Love? Damn, where did you get it?? But it was rather a 6th-plan role...

21hanabishi

Post by 21hanabishi » Sep 21st, '10, 23:50

maybe im just a hater of goong....... i dont understand how people are so hooked to it
even my neighboor 4 years ago borrow my dvd for 4 times hahaha!!!

moonpie

Post by moonpie » Sep 25th, '10, 16:21

For me it's:

Goong - characters have no "chemistry" with bad script/plots
My Girl - overkill acting by main actress
Witch Yuhee - maybe not in the popular list but I find script so unintelligent...
My name is Kim SS - it's alright but doesn't deserve high ratings
Personal Taste - Err..LMH was stiff and script moves from funny to serious awkwardly..(think I'm the only one mentioning this one here....must hide now..)

amktsy

Post by amktsy » Dec 17th, '10, 07:34

mary stayed out all night and personal taste.

Neliets

Post by Neliets » Dec 17th, '10, 14:50

I agree that Mary stayed out all night is overrated. I'm not even that interested in watching the new subbed episodes. ;D I will watch them eventually, though.

lay4ever

Post by lay4ever » Dec 18th, '10, 00:49

lol i love how most of these dramas are those "typical" and "cliche" ones. In fact, almost all korean dramas are typical and cliches but thats what makes them all the best right? They bring us all into fantasy worlds that might not actually happen in real life (not at all) but they bring us full joy all the more. Sure, all those dramas can suck at plot developing but what they heck. I love them all anyways.

jossah

My two cents

Post by jossah » Dec 27th, '10, 17:41

Goong. It was painfully dragging. At first I liked the novelty of the premise of the story since I'm very much into foreign culture. However, the story-telling was so slow-paced I thought I would have enjoyed watching paint dry than watching the drama. And the prince wasn't too prince-y enough, me thinks. He just looked like a stuck-up brat. The acting of the lead characters was dismal, for the lack of a better term. And the most painful part in the drama, they extended it to 20+ episodes. WTF!? ':cussing:'

Beethoven's Virus. I was seriously disappointed with this one. I admit, at first I watched it coz of JGS (he looked so hot there, btw. All the ladies who agree with me, raise you hands! ':wub:') and I'm a sucker for classical music. But I also liked the original premise for the drama, sadly, I dunno what happened but after the first few episodes, everything just spiraled down fast. ':pale:' I was really looking forward to seeing the struggle/conflict between the young genius apprentice and the arrogant yet insecure master ':argue:'. That would have been interesting enough, I think. It was ok to have side stories of the other orchestra members (the story between the old clarinet player and the rebellious flutist was really something). But what's sad was one of the supposedly 3 main characters (the soon-to-be-deaf violin player) ended up becoming just an afterthought on the final episode. Overall, they had a good premise but it all just went down the drain. Tsk, tsk, tsk. ':-('

Mary Me Mary. It's still airing it but from the 6th episode I knew it was a lost cause. I guess those who are still watching it are probably just in it for the love of JGS (Yes, I know lately he looks prettier than most of us here but admit it, when he smiles you turn to jell-o.). Anyway, I had high hopes for this since the 3 leads had really good dramas/films under their belts. Sadly, no matter how great an actor/actress is, if the material/script itself is crap, there's not much they can do. And to be honest, I was really disappointed with the acting. JGS and Moon looked cute when they're all lovey-dovey but the other guy was just bleh. ':|' The story itself is also annoying, unrealistic, ridiculous and over the top. The supporting characters all had issues and they piss me off every time. The only redeeming factor of this drama: JGS' smile. Sadly, even that isn't enough for me to give it a decent review. :scratch:'

Boys over flowers: I prefer Hana Yori Dango over BOF. But I like Min Ho better than MatsuJun coz he's more good looking ':wub:'. But in terms of acting, MatsuJun bags the prize for this one. I also didn't like the girl in the Korean version coz she's annoying. Nuff said. I also found it disappointing that the writers incorporated parts from the Japanese and Taiwanese versions without really putting in anything new to make it stand out among the other versions. It was a really bad mash-up, in my opinion and it made the writers look like they are less creative than the Japanese/Taiwanese writers. :cussing:

middlefour

Post by middlefour » Jan 3rd, '11, 07:57

I think any drama with Lee Min Ho in it will be overrated. HAHA!

Goong - Yeah, the premise was okay but the story dragged. Sorry.
My Girl - Annoying Lee Da Hae. haha. She overdid everyrhing in this drama.

Sham26

Post by Sham26 » Jan 6th, '11, 20:01

lay4ever wrote:lol i love how most of these dramas are those "typical" and "cliche" ones. In fact, almost all korean dramas are typical and cliches but thats what makes them all the best right? They bring us all into fantasy worlds that might not actually happen in real life (not at all) but they bring us full joy all the more. Sure, all those dramas can suck at plot developing but what they heck. I love them all anyways.
Totally agree , even the period when u watch a drama has an influence on it ...and yeah life isnt a drama

MisS Lonliah

Post by MisS Lonliah » Jan 6th, '11, 20:26

lay4ever wrote:lol i love how most of these dramas are those "typical" and "cliche" ones. In fact, almost all korean dramas are typical and cliches but thats what makes them all the best right? They bring us all into fantasy worlds that might not actually happen in real life (not at all) but they bring us full joy all the more. Sure, all those dramas can suck at plot developing but what they heck. I love them all anyways.
+1

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Jan 6th, '11, 21:17

jossah,
I would be interested in knowing what kdramas you have watched that you liked. The ones you so heartily dislike are all quite different in plot and placement and actors. The reason I ask is quite genuine as it made me think about the kdramas I liked and disliked.

I think generally I am sympathetic with actors. Mostly they are low on the totem pole. A film belongs to the director..or at least it should. It will be his input that makes it what it is, and he direct sthe actors at his desire.
The script is also more important than the actor. They will be fortunate indeed to get a good writer who can deliver a character on the paper that can be translated into action. I wonder if you have seen the drama 'ON AIR' ?? I would like to hear your opinion on this drama. I watched it and would watch it again in the future. It gave insight into the making of a 'star' and the work done to make a drama. It showed all the things that can go wrong before it gets to the screen. The actors are definitely puppets to be moved at the will of the director in this drama.
This drama shows the making of the work and the other drama 'WORLDS WITHIN' shows the backstage personal lives of the people making the drama so there is a different point of view. Both dramas are good I think. I enjoyed them for different reasons.

Sham26

Post by Sham26 » Jan 7th, '11, 17:14

Peggy wrote: This drama shows the making of the work and the other drama 'WORLDS WITHIN' shows the backstage personal lives of the people making the drama so there is a different point of view. Both dramas are good I think. I enjoyed them for different reasons.
I started worlds within -time ago- yeah for Hyun Bin of course but I stopped at ep 4 or 5 it didnt interested me may be cause the main actress Song hyekyo thatI dont really appreciate -dunno why is he dating her :cussing: - or may be because I prefer to see a drama like a real thing I don't wanna to know how and what happens behind the scenes ,but maybe I will give it a second chance ? is is that good ?

shiofmedea

Post by shiofmedea » Jan 20th, '11, 01:33

not going to deep in the past:
Personal taste - nice begining, but I lost interest rather quickly
You are beautiful - she make my eyes wander around just to avoid looking at the screan, so unnatural and blind person would see she is she - and as she was on screen moste of the time it was difficult to continue :lol
Playful Kiss - I could go for hours with my reasons (and I like SS501)
Wish for the star - if one child is not enough you can add second... and third, and next, and next...
I would say BoF and BL are sooo bad that I do not really need to explain

BTW, why IRIS? They could be less obsesed with each other and for this type of organisation their behaviour would not be tolerated for sure but comparing to other dramas deviations of reality it small thing. And I liked ending, less predictable and fitting.

toenail

Post by toenail » Jan 22nd, '11, 04:40

shiofmedea wrote:not going to deep in the past:
Personal taste - nice begining, but I lost interest rather quickly
You are beautiful - she make my eyes wander around just to avoid looking at the screan, so unnatural and blind person would see she is she - and as she was on screen moste of the time it was difficult to continue :lol
Hey that's on my list too, for quite the same reason, except that I also found the main girl in Personal Taste to be tasteless.
And one more: Full House. It's funny, nice, and glued my eyes to the screen due to SHG's impossible beauty, but in honesty it's not that great at all. Please leave your logic in the drawer when you watch it.
Probably I just don't like stupid main girls like both Personal Taste's and Full House's.

:cussing:

shiofmedea

Post by shiofmedea » Jan 22nd, '11, 21:03

For personal Taste i think it was this gay factor at the begining which made it promising for comic situations but they let it slip away rather fast. And I agree girl was not interesting (I'm being nice here) And for guy.. uh being nice will be difficult.. I have another of his role before my eyes and he not improved ..uh I stll managed being nice but :crazy:
But I liked Full House, nothing great but nice enough and she was not so stupid as this one from Playful Kiss (can anybody? She is my number one on hate list! :cussing: ). And I did not know Rain before so it was not idol factor (he is so cute here BTW, annoying as hell and I would kill this kind of guy after first hour if I knew him in real life but still cute in childlish kind of way)... In my case it is sometimes that some dramas just slip around logic (as I can still see they are unrealistic, stupid, anoying and so on) but I still like them. And i think it was one of first kdramas I watched so sentiment is part of reason i suppose :lol And nobody to hate even this second girl she made you just feel pity for fer nothing more.

Fact is that I mostly watch comedies and action (as Iris, Time between dog and wolf or historical) kind of dramas so I do not have opinion about romances. If comedy factor is not involved or from begining I looked at forums and saw info that everybody was dying from cancer, car crash or any other Hamlet/ Romeo and Juliet endings I just skeep it whatever good or bad reviews are. Too much stress in real life than you very much!

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Jan 22nd, '11, 21:10

What's wrong with Hamlet ending :mrgreen:

Anyway, for me the most overrated drama of the last years is Baker King Kim Takgu and to some extend Dong Yi. I dropped both when I heard for the 100th time: omma, chebal!! And even though I'm a fan of period drama, DY just got boring in the middle and I lost the touch with characters.
Personally, even Secret Garden went into that category as of the last weeks... *hides*...

Oh, I forgot to add Cinderella's Sister, brrr...

SSpiegel

Post by SSpiegel » Jan 22nd, '11, 21:48

I have to agree with Baker King Kim Takgu. I only watched it on tv in Korea, so I didn't understand all of the dialogue, but it looked stupid anyway. Everytime I tuned in, the main character was either beating someone up, being beaten up or crying, and sometimes all of these at the same time. I dunno, I just have no idea how it became so popular.

shiofmedea

Post by shiofmedea » Jan 22nd, '11, 23:59

he, he, nothing wrong, I love Hamlet, it have it all: good prince, bad stepfather, stupid main girl, plenty of drama, even ghosts and duels and wha's the most important thing the ending is so clear, no loose ends, no way to do sequel! And unexpected character appears at the end and takes over... btw I'm not sarcastic I'm big fan of Sheakspeare (with some exceptions like Romeo i Juliette) and Hamlet but the ending, hmm, I can't help but thinking about phrase from some book describing novel author: she put too many charcters in story and didn't know what to do with them so she killed them to have it resolved :sorry: :sweat:

I did not saw them, SG included, I was going to for Baker King.. wait a moment crying? the main character is a man, right? Korean guys cry so easly, at least in dramas, I would say. I'm from another culture, apparently.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Jan 23rd, '11, 00:06

I don't mind crying, they are all emotion-ridden, but when a dialog consists of what SSpiegel described, and sometimes yes, in the same time, this emotional Himalayas are just too much.
In QoR there is a lot of tears, but I love this drama to bits.

But yes, killing characters in a book may be seen as an easy way to end some issues. Hamlet on the other hand...

shiofmedea

Post by shiofmedea » Jan 23rd, '11, 00:36

I said, I love Hamlet, I said it!!!!!!
It's just I can help to be sarcastic if I see even small opening
:cry:

shiofmedea

Post by shiofmedea » Jan 23rd, '11, 00:42

I started QoR but I stopped for a moment, I will wait for full package. Problem is I like this owner son (influence of actor too, I must confess) and I can't stand to wait what will be next hitting him, my frustration level is going up too much. But if ending will be too bad for him I will be having hard time to decide to watch.. hmm.
And this husband person :glare: The kind of person I hate most! :cussing:
Last edited by shiofmedea on Jan 23rd, '11, 00:46, edited 1 time in total.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Jan 23rd, '11, 00:44

I don't mind sarcasm, I do get it :mrgreen:
Now when I think of killing the characters, IRIS comes to mind as the overrated drama.

shiofmedea

Post by shiofmedea » Jan 23rd, '11, 00:57

Why? I liked it. OK maybe they overdid it in cospiracy level, and I ended with admiration to North side (interesting BTW as they are not frindly with each other) but if actor said he will not be staring in sequel there was not other way. And for conspiracy drama I would say this end fits. Even if not for sequel I would be happy with it. Even more if Top was killer just to add confusion to next part :lol
BTW there was rumor for a moment that Jae from JYJ will be part of this sequel. Pity it's not true I would love to see him as next asassin (that is not sarcazm!). So who to hire? I vote for SS501 specialist of frozen face!

toenail

Post by toenail » Jan 24th, '11, 12:31

As it happens, Full House is also among the first few dramas I watched. I didn't think much about Rain that time, but after I watch Let's Go to School Sang Doo ... I fell head over heel.. not fan-girl sort, I still don't think he's pretty (haha), but he's one damn good actor. The way he interacts with little Bo-ri, brought tears to my eyes, and usually I stay away from cookie-cutter stories about dying children. I'd say there are more chemistry between Sang Doo and little Bo-ri, than between Sang Doo and the main girl. :-)
Then I was like "what???" when I read that Sang Doo is actually Rain's debut, so how come in Full House..?

Ok, enough OOT, this is overrated thread. I'd like to nominate some more:
Attic Cat - push, pull, push, pull, push, pull..... I skipped right to the ending.
Witch Yoo-hee - deadpan actress, unbelievable transformation (what transformation if she stays the same as she is at the beginning of the series, except for more colourful tops?)

I want to put some more like That Fool, but I think the others are not famous enough to be "overrated".
Those two up there, I watched after reading people said good things about them.

shiofmedea

Post by shiofmedea » Jan 25th, '11, 18:56

If we are talking about Rain I would say that A love to kill is nothing special too. Boring for most time, depresing to the highest level, main characters reasoning should be checked by specialist (even author agreed as she is under psychiatric care). Nice camera work, that I agree.

Witch Yoo Hee - I liked two things about it: Jae Hee (but personal charm is just personal and has nothing to do with drama itself) and Kim Jeong Hoon (I don't even know why, presonal charm plus he was not even bad he was just cold and becouse of that able to use oportunities when they come, I suppose) but generaly difficult to not agree