Discuss Japanese drama series here.
shinqtaro

[Discussion] Keizoku 2: SPEC

Post by shinqtaro » Oct 10th, '10, 01:56

From Drama-wiki:

Details:
Title: ケイゾク 2: SPEC
Title (romaji): Keizoku 2: SPEC
Tagline: 警視庁公安部 公安第五課未詳事件特別対策係事件簿/Keishichou Kouanbu Kouan Daigoka Mishou Jiken Tokubetsu Taisakugakari Jikenbo
Format: Renzoku
Genre: Mystery
Episodes: TBA
Viewership ratings:
Broadcast network: TBS
Broadcast period: 2010-Oct-08 -
Air time: Friday 22.00
Theme song: THE RICECOOKERS: NAMIno YUKUSAKI
Related TV shows: Keizoku

Synopsis:
Like the original series, "SPEC" will revolve around a pair of police detectives as part of a special division solving difficult cases (Mishou). Touma Saya is a woman with an IQ of 201 and an inability to "read the atmosphere" in social situations. Due to a previous case, her left arm is in a sling. Her partner Sebumi Takeru used to be the star performer of the Metropolitan Police. After some incident however, he was transferred to Mishou. Those two track down offenders with special abilities(SPEC) who managed to get away with their crimes.

Cast:
Toda Erika as Toma Saya
Kase Ryo as Sebumi Takeru
Fukuda Saki as Shimura Misuzu
Shirota Yu as Chii Satoshi
Tanaka Tetsushi as Reizei Toshiaki
Kamiki Ryunosuke as Ninomae Juichi
Shiina Kippei as Tsuda Sukehiro
Ryu Raita as Nonomura Kotaro
Ito Takeshi (伊藤毅) as Shimura Yusaku
Tokui Yuu as Kondo Akio
Yasuda Ken as Unno Ryota
Okada Kohki as Baba Kaoru
Matsuzawa Kazuyuki as Shikaima Ayumu
Sainei Ryuji (載寧 龍二) as Inomada Souji
Arimura Kasumi (有村架純) as Masaki Miyabi

Production Credits:
Screenwriter: Nishiogi Yumie
Producer: Ueda Hiroki
Director: Tsutsumi Yukihiko, Imai Natsuki, Kaneko Fuminori
Music: Shibuya Keiichiro (渋谷慶一郎), Gabriel Robert

Official web site:
http://www.tbs.co.jp/spec2010/

First impression:
Unlike the original where the first 2/3rd of the series are pretty much conventional mysteries, ep.1 while still being a mystery, already contains sci-fi/super-natural elements (very similar to some episodes in the 1st season of the Fox show "Fringe", or the non-alien invasion episodes of X-Files). So looks like the producer/writer/director know where they're going this time, unlike the original where they changed directions abruptly in the final third and turned it into a complete mess. IMO the 2 new leads pail in comparison to those in the original (both acting wise and chemistry), and I also prefer the original's theme song and score. Still, ep.1 is quite interesting/intriguing so there's now at least 1 drama I look forward to every week in the new season.

RainSprite

Post by RainSprite » Oct 10th, '10, 13:06

This series looks interesting. I must admit that Toda Erika's acting in it though is what draws me too it. Can't wait till it's subbed.

Anyone know who's subbing this series?

furransu
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by furransu » Oct 10th, '10, 14:37

^ sadly none!

RainSprite

Post by RainSprite » Oct 10th, '10, 14:44

Well, that's really lame >.<; I hope some group picks it up soon - I'd love to watch it and be able to understand what's going on.

NoraThorn

Post by NoraThorn » Oct 10th, '10, 17:43

I haven't watched the original series and expected usual detective dorama so I was quite surprised by super-natural elements. But I think it's refreshing to watch a mystery once in a while, especially after boring real-life doramas.
I liked how weird Toda's character is but sometimes she overacts a little, imho)

saayan

Post by saayan » Oct 10th, '10, 20:47

NoraThorn wrote:I haven't watched the original series and expected usual detective dorama so I was quite surprised by super-natural elements. But I think it's refreshing to watch a mystery once in a while, especially after boring real-life doramas.
I liked how weird Toda's character is but sometimes she overacts a little, imho)
Unfortunately, I agree. I like her character but I feel like Toda Erika was miscast. I can't help but to think Kanno Miho or Ueno Juri would have rocked the role a little better.

But besides that, awesome start! Kase Ryo is so bad ass and cool. :wub:

tinyamaki

Post by tinyamaki » Oct 11th, '10, 11:42

Please sub this series.

Anyway, I think Erika's overacting is part of the script and I'm satisfied. (Just an opinion)
Kase Ryo's really hot here...hahahaha..the first time that I saw him was in Honey and Clover movie and his character is a bit boring for me but in SPEC, he's really cool....hehehe

shinqtaro

Post by shinqtaro » Oct 11th, '10, 15:03

I'm also of the opinion that the acting skills required for Toda Erika's character is a bit out of her league here. If you've seen the original, Nakatani Miki's character retained her eccentricity throughout, even after she solved the cases and explained her rationale to everyone, whereas Toda Erika suddenly becomes this super, kick-ass detective when she revealed who the murderer is and how the crime was committed. So her eccentricity feels more like 'acting' weird, as suppose to being really weird. Of course, this being only ep. 1, I hope she can grow and really get into her role. Can't help but think that Ueno Juri will be perfect for this role, although she's probably busy filming next year's taiga.

dpedaci

Post by dpedaci » Oct 11th, '10, 15:26

Keizoku was one of my favorite dramas, so I was excited and surprised to see a sequel, but I'm not sure about how it's going to be with an entirely new cast. I hope they are able to retain the strange dark tone of the original series.

Reira_pl

Post by Reira_pl » Oct 11th, '10, 22:25

I hope someone will sub it. Please!! :-) Right now I'm watching first season of the series and it's very good, but it has very different feel. The heroes in first series are rather normal, but have something weird hidden inside, whereas Erika Toda seems like total freak and the guy is like Robocop. :P

LadyDarkness

Post by LadyDarkness » Oct 16th, '10, 17:11

Could some one give me episode summaries for the first two episodes? I love the cast. I wish they show more of Shirota and Kamiki!

noshadow31

Post by noshadow31 » Oct 18th, '10, 18:41

I've subbed ep1 which can be found here
http://www.d-addicts.com/forums/viewtop ... 13#1334313

isbes83

Post by isbes83 » Oct 19th, '10, 09:25

thank you sooo much for the subs! really appreciate it! :cheers:

avieamber
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by avieamber » Oct 19th, '10, 12:33

thanks for the subs, that's super fast too! :salut:

About the drama, I'm quite enjoying it so far, I just can't get used to the Chief's lame jokes and weird facial expressions yet. Sometimes I think it's just totally unnecessary. I like Sebumi's character so far, the only 'sane' person in there, too serious but I like him, he strikes a balance to Toma's eccentricity. I'm gonna continue this till the end. I love investigative stories, especially one that involves supernatural or unexplained cases.

About Ueno Juri as Toma, yeah I think she'd be great too, maybe in a different acting style, but since she's busy with Gou, I'm fine with Erika. :D

dpedaci

Post by dpedaci » Oct 19th, '10, 15:37

Thank you for all your hard work on the subs!

Keizoku is one of my favorite dramas and I just watched it again about a year ago. I think Toda Erika is doing fairly well, but it almost seems as though she's trying to imitate Nakatana MIki's portrayal of Shibata and that makes some of her behaviour and mannerisms seem forced. The Chief seems to be playing an accelerated version of himself from the original--which often seems to be the case in Japanese dramas when they do additional seasons, the characters seem to emphasize their qualities from the first season. I'm enjoying it more than I thought I would, I thought I'd have a hard time with someone new playing Shibata.

shioki

Post by shioki » Oct 20th, '10, 06:26

I've never watched the original version, but the chief is pretty comical. I don't get his lame jokes too, but it's his face that's funny! Esp in ep 1 when he was testing for poison. Toma and Sebumi as the violent + weirdo pair reminds me of nodame, except that Toma isn't a super weirdo like nodame, and Chiaki also loves to hit nodame.

the case in ep1was
pretty logical. I think it's possible to throw a tennis ball to destroy that syringe. My calculations told me that an upward velocity of 11m/s (using k.e and p.e) is enough to the ball reach the ceiling, and add a little more force and the syringe can be destroyed. But I'm already out of practice with physics, so do take it with a pinch of salt.

What confused me was the invisible guy with the power to stop time, etc. Did he come from a wormhole? Or a ghost? Or just some unexplained forces?

ecco27

Post by ecco27 » Oct 20th, '10, 07:25

The boy who stopped time confused me too. At first I thought the bullets stopping at Sebumi and hitting whoever was trying to shoot him was because Sebumi had some sort of hidden psychic powers but at the end it looked like it was the boy who was doing it. So what is this kid following Sebumi around or something? :P I guess it will all be revealed sometime during the series, but I'm not patient haha

EDIT: After watching the second episode (unsubbed, I couldn't wait!) I started to think maybe it is Sebumi who causes the bullets to change direction but the boy is able to stop time? I don't know!
I'm soooo happy the first episode was subbed because I really like this show so far and there is no way I would have been able to understand it without the subs.
Last edited by ecco27 on Oct 21st, '10, 02:24, edited 1 time in total.

kimutaku144

Post by kimutaku144 » Oct 20th, '10, 08:20

I like Toda in here, mangaish as expected. I think if Juri acted as Toma I will remember her as Nodame all the time :p looking forward for more episodes...

bouken_red

Post by bouken_red » Oct 20th, '10, 14:27

I felt like I saw yabe kenzo in 05:31 in 1st episode...
but i didn't really sure whether it's him or not.. hahahaha

anggar

Post by anggar » Oct 21st, '10, 09:06

bouken_red wrote:I felt like I saw yabe kenzo in 05:31 in 1st episode...
but i didn't really sure whether it's him or not.. hahahaha
yup,, me too...
in police building,, right ??? :lol

and I saw so many Lupin III's poster in their [toma-sebumi] office :lol

Lupin III: old movie & anime

ecco27

Post by ecco27 » Oct 21st, '10, 15:26

I also saw Kiriyama and Mikazuki from Jikou Keisatsu in the police building :P In the Japanese Wikipedia it says that all those rooms in the hallway are from TV Asahi police jdramas haha.

bouken_red

Post by bouken_red » Oct 21st, '10, 16:01

hahaha so the ppl before yabe kenzo was kiriyama.. hahaha.. not as curly as odagiri jo back then.. hahaha..
I think they're not really cameo of original actor.. jz sum ppl dress up as them.. =p

saayan

Post by saayan » Oct 23rd, '10, 12:16

asdkjdlsa ep 3 was so awesome. **** just got real.
Sebumi is so bad ass. I would totally want a dependable partner like him. lol :wub: I think SPEC is my favorite of the season so far (though I'm loving Nagareboshi too).

chokubi

Post by chokubi » Oct 23rd, '10, 17:34

Episode 3 was indeed pretty good. What made it better for me was
the featured Spec ability being reminiscent of the villain in the original series.
Quite amazing that there are already so many layers and characters ambitiously woven into the overarching plot. Can't imagine how it'll all come together at the end.
And judging from what has happened so far,
there seems to be two factions to the Spec species.
Ep3 also hinted that Toma could be a Spec herself, which makes me wonder of her relationship with that time-stopping Ninomae kid and why he's been protecting Sebumi.
(Hopefully they'll reveal more of their background.)

BTW, anyone notice that the girl who insta-healed Sebumi's arm was wearing a highschool uniform?
Love all the quirks from the original series as well as new references being used. Will be following this one to the end. 8)

Kae

Post by Kae » Oct 24th, '10, 03:13

noshadow31, thank you for the subs. I love episode 1. I like The Ricecooker's song and the opening credits is really great artwork. For now, while waiting for the subs, I'll content myself with summaries done by shioki et al

noshadow31

Post by noshadow31 » Oct 25th, '10, 10:45

Am I missing a lot out of this series by not watching the original series? (and also other Asahi-TV police dramas) T-T

Kae, you're welcome. :)

chokubi, can I ask you some questions?
By 2 factions, do you mean the ninomae kid's faction and Shiina Kippei character's faction? What's the deal with Shiina character anyway? What's he trying to do keeping the fortune teller imprisoned? (I only understand certain parts of the story so I need help.)

Also about Toma being a SPEC hint in ep3, where exactly? Didnt she just use deductive power alone to solve the case?

Back to ep2, how did Katsura make sure the wife would be killed by the other guy? He doesn't have the power to manipulate people, is it Ninomae who manipulated the guy to strangle the wife?

dpedaci

Post by dpedaci » Oct 25th, '10, 11:20

I don't think you need to have seen the first show to understand the second, but it might give you a little more depth and insight. This website has thorough plot summaries of all the episodes in the first series.

http://www.geocities.ws/keizoku1/Synopsis.html

chokubi

Post by chokubi » Oct 25th, '10, 13:24

@noshadow31
Actually it's 2 factions of an organised one and an unorganised one, as suggested by what the culprit said to Ninomae at the end of ep3, "that his possession of a Spec ability doesn't obligate him to join the group that Ninomae is in, because his personal investigations on them prompted him to stay independent." Something like that.

(Edit: I missed out the conversation between Tsuda(Shiina's character) and Katsura in ep2.)
Tsuda apparently has a team (located in an underwater base? omg) behind him, which I guess is how he feeds their info to the fortune teller to sniff out the movements of people with Spec abilities. How they'll reveal their mode of operation is gonna be interesting! Anyway the fortune teller looks like someone he and his team are exploiting to move 1 step ahead of anyone suspicious, kinda convenient huh. Another thing about Tsuda is his relation with our 2 leads. Why he's always at Sebumi's trials but only watching from a distance. And why, out of all people in the force, that he sends the two of them to intercept the predicted activity at the gas station. He definitely knows about truth behind Sebumi's reverse shootings and maybe something about Toma too.

About Toma being a possible Spec simply because she knows who Ninomae is and what he's capable of when she said 'yahari'. Also, in ep2, everytime Katsura used his long distance <s>vision</s> hearing ability on Toma, she was able to sense it. Maybe she has a dormant ability but we'll probably see how they reveal her background with Ninomae.

Katsura didn't ensure the woman would be killed by Matsui but rather he already foresaw that Itano's arrest will make Matsui be aware of her past affair with Itano and kill her for her betrayal. That's how I saw it unless I'm missing something.
Most of the things being brought over from the original series seem to be limited to only the art direction, running gags and anything that has no plot significance.
Like Nonomura's lame jokes actually came about during a stakeout with Kondo (he's the short guy who dropped by with the murder case file in ep2) in the original series.
Even the series format has changed for the most of it, so there's little to no reference from the original to rely on. The TV Asahi corridor thingy is purely an easter egg.

Edit: Shiina's character
Last edited by chokubi on Oct 25th, '10, 17:32, edited 2 times in total.

xxpinkyzxx

Post by xxpinkyzxx » Oct 25th, '10, 16:01

I have just watched this drama up to ep. 3 and I'm loving it so far! Interesting storyline. Really can't wait for ep. 4!

But i think Toda Erika is not really into her character... hope she'll improve in the following episodes =/

isbes83

Post by isbes83 » Oct 26th, '10, 04:18

i did not watch the first series but i kinda like erika toda acting, it was very cute and cimical ina way. i really enjoy first episode and patiently waiting for the subs

noshadow31

Post by noshadow31 » Oct 26th, '10, 16:59

Thanks for the clarification, chokubi.
Your post made me understand more about Tsuda. At first, I was not sure if he was one of the villains or not because his secret mission looked fishy.
So he's after SPECs but he and his group suspects that Toma&Sebumi are also SPECs so they are working separately.

I still think Toma is a mere human, a genius human. I hope she remains human throughout the series. It's cooler that way. :P

About Katsura assuming Matsui would kill the wife for betrayal, I think that's not good enough for him to be sure of. A lot of things might have happened. Matsui might be able to kill the wife but the time might be off. How could it be exactly at the 48 hrs limit? Could this be a mistake on the writer's part?
dpedaci, thanks for the summary link!

agree with xxpinkyzxx about Toda Erika still not into her character, I can still see her trying to act weird and making ugly faces. Toda Erika does not suit ugly face role. She's too pretty for that and it hurts me to see her doing weird faces. >_<

chokubi

Post by chokubi » Oct 26th, '10, 18:24

NP noshadow31,
noshadow31 wrote:So he's after SPECs but he and his group suspects that Toma&Sebumi are also SPECs so they are working separately.
Whatever he suspects of them remains to be revealed. But I'm guessing that it's enough to have him represent his team to keep things simple for now.
I still think Toma is a mere human, a genius human. I hope she remains human throughout the series. It's cooler that way. :P
Yeah, I was making a speculated guess anyway. She doesn't have to be a SPEC to know the identity of Ninomae. It'll probably make the revelation of her background with him more interesting too.
How could it be exactly at the 48 hrs limit? Could this be a mistake on the writer's part?
I see what you mean now. They weren't very clear in illustrating Katsura's hearing ability or to show how he "passed judgment" through his ability or whatever the heck he meant in saying that. IDK, guess we'll have to suspend our disbelief on this one unless someone can fill us in on what we're missing, lol. Need more folks to join in on the conversation!
I'll admit that Toda Erika initially looked like she was overacting a bit, but I'm starting to like what she's doing. (Her facial expression when she went down the elevator with Sebumi (in ep3) was kinda funny IMO.)

yummy_lady

Post by yummy_lady » Oct 27th, '10, 06:09

can anyone tell me what english sentence did toda say in ep 1mean please? i couldn't hear it well

noshadow31

Post by noshadow31 » Oct 28th, '10, 08:44

@chokubi Guess we have to wait until ep2 subs release for more people to join in. ^^;;

Eiskold

Post by Eiskold » Oct 29th, '10, 17:39

yummy_lady wrote:can anyone tell me what english sentence did toda say in ep 1mean please? i couldn't hear it well
what i heard was. 'that's a piece of S**t, we're the motherf**king pigs man"

but yeah... can't unhear it. someone translate the subs for that please.

mopi

Post by mopi » Oct 30th, '10, 08:36

I am quite interested in Sebumi's paper bag. for environalment protecting purpose?
which kind of thing would be taken out of it by him in every EP? It's the most interesting thing for me.
:lol

Sebumi, this character is totally different from Kase's last casting, Sota in Arifureta Kiseki( 2009 ). What an amusing actor he is.

NoraThorn

Post by NoraThorn » Oct 31st, '10, 13:14

Plot is a little bit mangaish but still so interesting! Can't wait to see
Sebumi's reaction when he'll realize he has a spec. *He has it, right?* And I want them reveal Toma and Ninomae's relation sooner. May be she faced his organization before?
2mopi
I also wandered all the time why he uses paper bag XD Well, it adds Sebumi's weird charm anyway <3

chokubi

Post by chokubi » Oct 31st, '10, 13:49

Think his paper bag is purely to compliment Toma's red travel case.
Speaking of accessories, I'm really intrigued to know what's "hidden" inside Toma's bandaged arm.

ecco27

Post by ecco27 » Oct 31st, '10, 19:58

:P That paper bag, I was wondering if he had it when he was a normal detective too or if it's a new thing for him.
About Sebumi possibly having a spec, regardless of if he does or doesn't shouldn't people (including him) who know about spec already be suspicious of it? I mean clearly what happened to him in both shootings was not normal. Watching the next episode preview all I could think of was that if I were him at this point and someone had a gun pointing at me I'd be like "Er are you sure you want to shoot at me?" XD

Right now I'm most curious about the doctor and also the guy who was shot at the beginning. There must have been something that made him turn and shoot at Sebumi in the first place right?

Kae

Post by Kae » Nov 1st, '10, 07:07

Well, so far I like this show well enough to watch w/o subs, which I rarely do. I guess the gags and facial expressions help :D

All the gyoza makes me want one at Shinjuku Ramen everytime I watch an episode.

clakaz

Post by clakaz » Nov 29th, '10, 17:27

This is a good surprise. Fun ride until now (chapter 7). It was a little episodic in the beginning but now everything has being completely taken over by the main story. I like that the Toma character is not thaat random (some past incident can explain in part her eccentric behaviour nowadays).
Its not deep or anything. Its just very good - excelent - entartainment.

xxpinkyzxx

Post by xxpinkyzxx » Dec 5th, '10, 10:54

already watched up to ep. 8. A lot of suspense....

noshadow31

Post by noshadow31 » Dec 7th, '10, 16:56

those who have seen ep8...
Those guys are not EXILE real members right? just wondering

I really like how random it is :D

chokubi

Post by chokubi » Dec 8th, '10, 13:30

noshadow31 wrote:those who have seen ep8...
Those guys are not EXILE real members right? just wondering

I really like how random it is :D
Just the first guy, he's one of the dancers, Naoto.

noshadow31

Post by noshadow31 » Dec 9th, '10, 16:24

thanks, chokubi :)

cute cameo role, isn't it? :)

clakaz

Post by clakaz » Dec 9th, '10, 20:59

I think that Nakatani Miki's character from Keizoku I was subtle mentioned in episode 8. Chief Nonomura said that a certain information was provided by a big figure now that was, in the past, his subordinate.

chokubi

Post by chokubi » Dec 10th, '10, 17:51

noshadow31 wrote:cute cameo role, isn't it? :)
The director must've lost a bet with him or someone from the group to do this in-drama promotion for them, lol.
clakaz wrote:I think that Nakatani Miki's character from Keizoku I was subtle mentioned in episode 8. Chief Nonomura said that a certain information was provided by a big figure now that was, in the past, his subordinate.
Yup, he was definitely referring to her.
I was quite surprised where he hid her picture though, it says a lot about his impression of her.
Instead of Exile, wished she was one who made the cameo appearance. Still keeping my fingers crossed! :fear:

l0nEr

Post by l0nEr » Dec 12th, '10, 16:29

Omg Omg .. so looking forward to the next episode 10. Is that the last episode?

Momosodapop

Post by Momosodapop » Dec 12th, '10, 17:41

l0nEr wrote:Omg Omg .. so looking forward to the next episode 10. Is that the last episode?
Yup, ep 10 is the finale! CAN'T WAIT~

After seeing the latest episode, I'm really hyped up for the last one. It's gonna be great.
Compared the very first ones, these passed few episodes have been much more full of suspense.

For ep 9
Toma and that Ninomae kid are sibling???

noshadow31

Post by noshadow31 » Dec 13th, '10, 08:40

Did I miss something?

ep9
Why do people think they're siblings? I think they're just neighbors hahahhaha
i mean they have different lastnames (if that means anything hehehe)
ninomae doesn't seem to think of Toma as oneechan though. maybe he lost his childhood memories?

really excited to see the trick Toma used to destroy Ninomae's freeze-the-time (or different space and time dimension or whatever he said) power. Did she simply mix sleeping drug into the snow? Very much like how she defeated Satori. Making them sleepy is the only way to go against SPEC holders?

l0nEr

Post by l0nEr » Dec 13th, '10, 15:08

What made you think that they are sibilings or that they know each other. For the first 8 episodes, she completely acted like she didnt know ninomae last time.
I'm just thinking who is the person who can erase memories.
And who is toma's ex-boyfriend?
And how come she didnt die when she fell down off the roof. I suspect her ex-boyfriend saved her. Think her spec is going to be revealed.

LadyDarkness

Post by LadyDarkness » Dec 13th, '10, 15:45

I have a major feeling its going to be Shirota Yuu's character who does the mind erasing thing. I also feel he's going to be the ultimate baddie. Just my opinion of course.
Can't wait for the last epi. Not like I can really understand what exactly happens until the subs are out though 8)

Momosodapop

Post by Momosodapop » Dec 13th, '10, 18:00

The whole siblings things just came to my mind when I saw Toma's flashback in ep 9.
The boy named Ryota, whom I think is Toma's little brother, has that "mark" behind his right ear which is the same as what Ninomae has.
Anyway, they don't really have to be siblings, but there must be some connections between Ninomae and Toma's brother.

I also suspect that Shirota Yuu's character is the memory manipulating guy. He is definitely hiding something.
If I remember correctly, Shimura's sister saw vision of a boy(Toma's brother?) and a kitten when she touched Toma.
Later, Toma's ex saw that sketch and took it away while touching the girl's head.

Ok~ enough for my crazy speculations. haha
Really wish I can watch this show with sub~

xaralind

Post by xaralind » Dec 19th, '10, 15:34

episode 10 is the last episode yes? i know this is going to sound a bit stupid, but i've just finished watching and right now and quite confused as to what has actually happened >< especially at the end!
so who stopped time at the end and reflected the bullets? is ninomae really dead?
if anyone would recap/explain, that would be awesome :D

Kae

Post by Kae » Dec 19th, '10, 15:50

xaralind wrote:
so who stopped time at the end and reflected the bullets? is ninomae really dead?
My guess is Toma. Ninomae/Yota is her brother after all.
Does anybody know if there will be a second season or a movie? It's so open-ended.

How awesome and ridiculous is that teeth scene, huh?

l0nEr

Post by l0nEr » Dec 19th, '10, 16:03

Geez the last episode is kinda disappointing.. what an ending...

My suspicion is that Toma inherited the SPEC to stop time from her brother Yuta/Ninomae. She kinda moved from her position after the bad guy (Shirota Yuu) got stopped. (she was standing behind Sebumi shooting. After the shootout, she was standing some distance beside Sebumi instead) Unless of coz, it was ninomae who moved her? But den again, he was clearly dead in the hospital.

Guess there probably is going to be a movie? or sequel on the movie. looking forward for some better closing though.

Momosodapop

Post by Momosodapop » Dec 19th, '10, 16:27

After watching the final episode, I have to say that this drama is so weird and so brilliant at the same time. XD
The ending is pretty much open-ended though. There are so many things that are left to be discussed. (or may be... too much?)

Regarding the ep 10,
If you notice, the ending song has Toma holding paper with names of characters(?). Those names are written in black and red; red represents the one who actually died I think.
The strange thing is that when Ninomae's name showed up the color kept flashing between black and red. So... I guess Ninomae isn't really dead. (plus that scene of Nonomura too)
Oh! Before Ninomae died, I notice that he try to do the finger snap that he usually does. Don't know if it means something.

For that bullet thing in the end, I really have no clue lol, may be Toma has the same SPEC as her brother's?
Sebumi and the his tooth are awesome indeed. haha
At the very end, after the credit and the gyoza thing, Toma said that there will be no movie! I'm not sure if she was really joking or not.
However, IMO, the whole story isn't completed yet. I feel like I still need more~ haha This show is such a fun ride :)
Last edited by Momosodapop on Dec 19th, '10, 16:46, edited 2 times in total.

mikilove13
Fansubber
Fansubber
United States of America

Post by mikilove13 » Dec 19th, '10, 16:32

I'm not too sure if Ninomae is really dead. There's that one scene with Nonomura praying and then he opens his eyes and looks shocked about something. I don't know what that alludes to. Then there's that one scene when time stops or slows and you see something moving fast in Shirota's character's glasses. I don't know what it means, but it makes the ending rather weird.

shinqtaro

Post by shinqtaro » Dec 20th, '10, 02:40

BTW (and I may be reading too much into this), the episodes are numbered based on the 10 heavenly/celestial stems, which is an ancient Chinese cyclic character numeral system.
For the finale, instead of using the last Kanji character in the system, they crossed it out and replaced it with another Kanji character which can be interpreted as 'beginning/rise' (as in a new dynasty or era). Also, it ended with the phrase 'praying for a [kanji] episode' in which the kanji character can be interpreted as 'successive'. The 2 characters are the first 2 in a common 4 character Chinese phrase implying 'beginning -> succession > change/twist -> closure'. So the producers may be planning to have one of more SPs (whether TBS greenlights it is another matter).

noshadow31

Post by noshadow31 » Dec 20th, '10, 03:49

The last episode is disappointing to me that I start to regret watching this series. it's just so confusing and while it's ok not to explain everything happening in the series, too much of inconclusiveness makes viewers think "well wouldn't it be better not watching at all?"

maybe i'm just too slow for this intelligent(?) drama. A part of it is also because my japanese is not good enough. i'm hesitating whether to rewatch it once the eng subs are all out.

anyone who understands the series, please explain
my effort to summarize the story :

1. Chii (real name Tsuda) got bored with his memory manipulation SPEC and decided to write scenarios for the girl he has been stalking to defeat her own brother.
2. Chii conveniently found Youta (while his family thought he died in the accident), gave him a new memory and a new name Ninomae.
3. By manipulating some high position officers, Chii created a SPEC-holders hunting unit using his own real name as the leader's name with Shiina Kippei's face.
4. Chii told Ninomae about Tsuda's force existence to put him up against the police and set the stage for Toma Saya to arrest her own brother.

and at the end, either
1. Ninomae has risen from death and came help his sister (but this contradicts with how Chii said "it's not Ninomae" before his death) or
2. Toma has her SPEC awaken, rework her left hand, and reflected the bullets. her SPEC is beyond that of her brother!!

i wonder why Chii's underlings don't help him fight after Sebumi's tooth attack. actually i find the truth that Chii has followings lame. They dont have any reason to work for him. Being able to move that fast, they can easily just kill him off.

Eata

Post by Eata » Dec 20th, '10, 05:03

Momosodapop wrote: Regarding the ep 10,
If you notice, the ending song has Toma holding paper with names of characters(?). Those names are written in black and red; red represents the one who actually died I think.
The strange thing is that when Ninomae's name showed up the color kept flashing between black and red.
According to what I saw, Ryouta's name was red, but at the very end, Ninomae's name was black. I'll bet he's still alive. I really hope sequel/movie will be made~~

Momosodapop

Post by Momosodapop » Dec 20th, '10, 07:27

shinqtaro wrote:BTW (and I may be reading too much into this), the episodes are numbered based on the 10 heavenly/celestial stems, which is an ancient Chinese cyclic character numeral system.
For the finale, instead of using the last Kanji character in the system, they crossed it out and replaced it with another Kanji character which can be interpreted as 'beginning/rise' (as in a new dynasty or era). Also, it ended with the phrase 'praying for a [kanji] episode' in which the kanji character can be interpreted as 'successive'. The 2 characters are the first 2 in a common 4 character Chinese phrase implying 'beginning -> succession > change/twist -> closure'. So the producers may be planning to have one of more SPs (whether TBS greenlights it is another matter).
Wow, so that is what it means. Thank you for pointing that out. I don't think that you are reading too much into it. :-)
Eata wrote:
According to what I saw, Ryouta's name was red, but at the very end, Ninomae's name was black. I'll bet he's still alive. I really hope sequel/movie will be made~~
I did some captions for Ninomae's name, but yeah at the end (which I didn't do a caption) when Toma dropped it, the color is definitely black.

The director left so many clues behind! I think the producer and the director really plan for an SP or something after this.
Everything is up to TBS though, the rating of this show isn't that impressive even though the finale hits 12.9% the average is only 10.5%.

For anyone who can understand Japanese, you should take a look at the official site http://www.tbs.co.jp/spec2010/jikenbo/
I think this page gives us some details about Chii/Tsuda(?). If there is something interesting, please explain~

ecco27

Post by ecco27 » Dec 20th, '10, 08:00

I'm really hoping for an SP or movie! It's true the ratings weren't that great but it's a good sign that the finale ratings were the best of all the episodes I think and also imo the ratings for the original Keizoku weren't particularly great either (better than these but dramas in general got better ratings at that time) and it still got a SP and movie. Maybe the DVD sale will be good. It was also available online right? Maybe it got some viewers that way. And I read that in an oricon survey the readers ranked it second after Freeter, that's only a small sample but at least it means people were interested? I'm clinging to hope here :P
Most of the things I was confused about are already being discussed. I was also confused about Misuzu though. Did Tsuda know she had a SPEC? And if so why didn't he capture her like he captured the other SPEC users? It was weird how he just made her pass out and left her there.

I also still wonder if "Tsuda" is supposed to be the same as the villain in the first Keizoku because he could also appear as different people. But his special ability wasn't memory rewriting right? I kind of forget :scratch:

At the end who was listed as dead? I couldn't read the names :sweat:

mikilove13
Fansubber
Fansubber
United States of America

Post by mikilove13 » Dec 20th, '10, 08:13

That basically says that Youta is Ninomae and Toma's younger brother. After some sort of plane crash, his memories were "rewritten" and that it occurred seven years ago. It also mentions his Time Stop SPEC so maybe it was used the first time then or used by accident so Youta wouldn't die. It also states that their confrontation, called the "Sibling showdown" had also been planned out.

It also mentions that Shirota's character rewrote memories that didn't favor his plan. He basically used Ninomae against Toma in hopes she would defeat him.
The SPEC's listed in the show.
Wakiji - Owner of an abnormal physical ability.
Katsura - Clairvoyance (Owner of unusually keen hearing?)
Hayatsu Minoru - Possession (can possess another body but his own can feel pain.)
Furuto Hisako - Telekinetic
Old guy (Miyazaki Yousuke)- Ability to prescribe illness?
Dr. Unno - His SPEC is to prescribe a disease (scanning the body in order to find out the disease)
Hotsu Satori - Ability to read minds
Ninomae - SPEC - Stop time (Signal with a snap to stop and start?)
Some guy without a name who works for the police? - Telekinetic
Shimura Mirei - Psycho-measuring (Touching people and objects and being able to read thoughts and info related to it's past.)
Chii Satoshi - Rewriting memories

aprilmoon

Post by aprilmoon » Dec 21st, '10, 10:55

Who here thinks Shirota Yuu's character (Chii Satoshi) looks like Aizen? :cheers:

wishingstar

Keizoku 2:SPEC recaps

Post by wishingstar » Dec 23rd, '10, 15:04

I think that the last episode is too open ended but I think they're planning for a special! Certainly hope so anyway...

I'm not sure if English Subs have been taken up, but anyway if you wanna look at recaps you can check out this website called thoughtsramble.livejournal.com This person did a recap on just one episode though

rootabega

Post by rootabega » Jan 3rd, '11, 08:31

This thread had made me want to watch the whole series now. I quit after the first episode because seeing Toda Erika cast alongside one the best actors in all of Japan, Kase Ryo, was just too painful. It's like casting Winona Ryder next to Laurence Olivier, IMO.
Apparently, Kase's character starts coming into his own as the series progresses. He's allowed to be more than just a foil for the "kooky" character Toda attempts to portray. All well and good.

zebub_blast

Post by zebub_blast » Jan 6th, '11, 23:28

There's this community on livejournal called our hour which have subs. Is anyone part of it that can post these. They have up to episode 9 and they declined my request to join. Why aren't they sharing the love.

c3mut

Post by c3mut » Jan 8th, '11, 13:23

:thumright:
Last edited by c3mut on Jan 9th, '11, 00:11, edited 1 time in total.

ydyd123

Post by ydyd123 » Jan 12th, '11, 11:44

Opps sorry! cos the series has ended so i unintentionally thought that those who come here will have finished the show.
i think ninomae's spec is to move faster than everyone by dunno how many insane million times.. that's why it seems to be time freeze moment.

anyone can knows the ans to some of my qns to the show?

why is there so many tsuda in the show? i kind of dun understand this part.

and also why is satoshi chii been called as tsuda at the end? and why is there another tsuda when chii is dead?

practically, i think i dun really understand the ending. and i kinda think that toma has the same ability as ninomae which killed chii in the end? but why didn't she used it right from the start? kinda funny to me.
Last edited by ydyd123 on Jan 12th, '11, 13:05, edited 1 time in total.

Momosodapop

Post by Momosodapop » Jan 12th, '11, 12:37

^
^
Umm... I think that you should really put a spoiler in your post.
ydyd123 wrote:i think ninomae's spec is to move faster than everyone by dunno how many insane million times. that's why it seems to be time freeze moment.
According to the finale, you are certainly right, otherwise he would not be affected by "toxic snow" much more than Toma and Sebumi.
why is there so many tsuda in the show? i kind of dun understand this part.

and also why is satoshi chii been called as tsuda at the end? and why is there another tsuda when chii is dead?
I don't think that there is anyone who really understand this Tsuda thing (or there is?)
Basically there are 3 Tsuda in the story, and (may be) the last Tsuda seems to possess more than one SPEC. (like both possession and moving fast through time? idk)
i kinda think that toma has the same ability as ninomae which killed chii in the end? but why didn't she used it right from the start? kinda funny to me.
If that's the case, Toma' SPEC might just have triggered when her left hand was able to move again.

ydyd123

Post by ydyd123 » Jan 12th, '11, 13:09

If that's the case, Toma' SPEC might just have triggered when her left hand was able to move again.
maybe it's the only acceptable explanation.

in any case, i think tsuda is really a freak man.

mixedmedia

Post by mixedmedia » Feb 13th, '11, 14:08

Thought it was funny when Satori (Mano Erina) told Reizen to sing Hello Project instead of AKB. I also noticed the doctor who likes melons had a Melon Kinen-Bi (disbanded former Hello Project group) 10th anniversary DVD (or at least a picture that looked like the cover) on his desk.

Whats up with Arimura Kasumi (Miyabi) being typecast as a girl who goes out with old men? She had a similar character in Hagane no Onna also.

Who else wanted to eat tons of gyoza after watching the episodes?
Hope Tsuda/Chii is dead since I dislike Shirota Yuu (and his stupid hair! looks like it's eating his head).

After seeing Toma's hand on the ground like that, I'm relieved to see it was reattached in the end although it might have been funny if it wasn't and she pulled a Machine Girl and had a gatling gun instead!
The end didn't really explain anything so there'll be a special or something later?[/spoiler]
Last edited by mixedmedia on Feb 13th, '11, 21:12, edited 2 times in total.

nikid

Post by nikid » Feb 13th, '11, 17:46

mixedmedia wrote: The end didn't really explain anything so there'll be a special or something later?[/spoiler]
well, in the end of last ep (after credits) Touma said she wasnt going to do a movie, so maybe thats some kinda hint, dunno though :P

arminna

Post by arminna » Feb 18th, '11, 22:39

sorry for not continuing the subject but i have no idea where else my question would fit.

i was wondering about the main theme of this awesome series. does anyone have a score for it? i want to play it by myself but without a score for me its impossible.
tried to google it, but i am not a japanese speaker, so couldnt look there... help, anyone?