My Girlfriend is a Gumiho - SBS 2010

Discuss Korean drama series here.

What do you think of "My Girlfriend is a Gumiho"?

5 Excellent
58%
4 Very Good
24%
3 So-so
11%
2 Not so Good
5%
1 Bad
2%

Total votes: 55

folie a deux

Post by folie a deux » Sep 30th, '10, 12:14

Omo, it's been a long while since I logged in and I felt compelled to do just because of our Hoi-hoi couple...today's the final episode and I can't wait to watch it with eng subs...I'm spoiling myself by reading recaps from Dramabeans since I can't get to watch the raw videos...although there are speculations that this series will end on a happy note, I don't want to expect too much...but I really vouched for a happy (but logical) ending!!! anyway, I trust the Hong Sisters to bring it on

Dae-woong-ah, Miho-yah, hwaiting! <3

-currently listening to MGIAG OST (Fox Rain)

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Sep 30th, '10, 13:16

That's the thing. With fantasy and in such a fluffy fairytale series, anything can make for a logical ending.

Granny appears and saves her. Can do.
Bead is gone and she becomes human. Can do.
Bead is gone and she stays a one-tail. Can do.
Their love breaks the whole process and saves her. Can do.

Anything they do can make sense and give a happy ending. I mean, this is a cutesy series. Cute and fluffy.
It's not exactly a masterpiece of near perfect screenwriting. It's not like the great depth and realism will suffer.
You can't have plot-holes when you only play with a mythology/setting you yourself created with your rules.

They made up the rules. The series has it's own set and they damn well can make up a rule that saves her.

Myxale

Post by Myxale » Sep 30th, '10, 14:39

Aigoo, they never go the easy way!

;)

Neliets

Post by Neliets » Sep 30th, '10, 17:05

I so want to see the last episode... ;D Cheezy couple's wedding too. I think that I'll re-watch first episodes till the 'drama' begins. ;D

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Sep 30th, '10, 18:06

The RAW is out... Oh man. The suspense is killing me... If it has a happy ending, I might even cry! THAT'S how badly I want it to happen!

Neliets

Post by Neliets » Sep 30th, '10, 18:37

THE RAW IS OUT? Then tomorrow is the day I'll know what will happen to the queen of Cuteness. Work hard, viiikii!

By the way, when I start to think about it - I've never seen actress this cute. ;D She may be the #1 in natural cuteness.

Dare_Devil09

Post by Dare_Devil09 » Sep 30th, '10, 18:55

twenty-eight minute to go on torrent the suspense is killing me MY GOD!!!~~

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Sep 30th, '10, 18:56

Neliets wrote:
By the way, when I start to think about it - I've never seen actress this cute. ;D She may be the #1 in natural cuteness.
They call it "bagel beauty", means actress with baby-soft and radiant skin and natural charm. Or something.
Don't ask me why bagel.

Dare_Devil09

Post by Dare_Devil09 » Sep 30th, '10, 19:19

just a little detail
happy ending! :whistling: thank god :cheers: that all i know

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Sep 30th, '10, 19:30

I couldn't bare the wait and I looked.
Is it true?!!? Did you see it yourself?!?! It's happy?!?!?! Oh damn. I knew I was going to cry!!!! :cry: Happy tears though, if it's true. Did you check it yourself? Can I take it to the bank and rejoice?!?!

Dare_Devil09

Post by Dare_Devil09 » Sep 30th, '10, 19:59

Orion1986 wrote:I couldn't bare the wait and I looked.
Is it true?!!? Did you see it yourself?!?! It's happy?!?!?! Oh damn. I knew I was going to cry!!!! :cry: Happy tears though, if it's true. Did you check it yourself? Can I take it to the bank and rejoice?!?!

hahaha I checked it myself 1000%
super happy ending I wanted more then what it is though but I still i got that satisfied feeling :D :wub: no regret!

Dare_Devil09

Post by Dare_Devil09 » Sep 30th, '10, 20:57

I just notice something in ep 7 where she going book shopping with emo she pick up the matting magazine that talk ab president kennedy killer that was dated back feb.1979 gosh :O

JiveTalkinRobot

Post by JiveTalkinRobot » Sep 30th, '10, 22:57

I almoooost clicked on the spoilers. So tempting. I haven't watched the final two and will make it a point not to visit the forums until I do so because I am afraid i will crack and spoil it for myself.

Let's all hope this ends happily! See you guys on Sunday for post final episode discussion!

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Oct 1st, '10, 02:27

I'll watch the episode again, but for now
I gotta stop crying like mad. XD Oh man. Even though I knew the ending would be good, I still cried sooo much. But it's happy tears.
I'm actually quite surprised myself. I didn't realize I had invested so much in this series, emotionally. I just got really really close to it.

So, he has a foxy lady now. That's so good. They look so cute together! Awww. They can finally mate now, damn it! :lol

I do wish Lee Seung Ki would have done better in the acting department though. He had his moments, but he generally sucked.
I mean, what the heck happened since Shining Inheritance? He wasn't THAT bad in it. Did he lose any hint of acting he had?
What he did wrong was that he kept the dramatic overacting in the serious scenes as well. Which just made it look bad.
I mean, it was horrible. If it weren't for the other actors, music, directing etc, I would have shot my PC monitor. Damn it, carp!

I gotta hand it to the Doc though. He made me shed my share of tears for him. He's not good, but his expressions are beautiful.
Dang. So now Emo Doc is a teacher too? A naughty teacher... Naughty boy... Ok, so maybe I can still like some young men. :P

And we saw some Hong Ki too! Aww. The hair is kinda cute actually. So, Yong Hwa and the Gaysha did not have cameos after all.

I also liked the Granny. It was about time, you old hag! You scared us silly and made the poor girl cry so much! Our lovely Mi Ho!
My girl-crush meter went off the charts by the way.I nooomu nomu nomu nomu like this young lady. Good actress, adorable style!

I'm so glad they made the happy ending. So it was a trick after all. To get publicity. And according to Dramabeans, they did it too!
See, now I want to watch this series again. Probably many times too. Carp or no carp, it's just lovely. Nooomu nomu nomu johahae!!!!

So, now the guy has a girlfriend with a tail. Hoo boy. A lot of otaku's would kill for such a girlfriend. Mating time! :cheers:
Also, remind me not to comment on Dramabeans anymore. Especially by saying Lee Seung Ki is a horrible actor.
An army of kyaaing fangirls came at me trying to convince me he's an amazing piece of work that should get an Oscar.
Plus, I'm pretty sure I'm being burned in effigy somewhere in the world right now. How dare I say he sucks? The b*tch! :rofl:

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Oct 1st, '10, 06:40

Well I tried to make you soften up a little on Seunggi...
After all he was just voted the number one actor in that poll. Not that I agree with that at all but it is a hint that you could be burned at the stake for being critical about the lad.

Peg... :D :D :whistling:

aility

Post by aility » Oct 1st, '10, 07:04

@Orion: How could you say such a horrible thing about Lee Seung Ki?! I mean seriously, he is the GREATEST actor of this generation!! His looks, his facial expressions, he even uses his hair to express his emotions!!! :cussing: :cussing: :cussing:

[/end sarcasm]

:lol

Are the fans of LSK worse or equally bad as those of JGS? I think you are becoming infamous on Dramabeans, my dear! :mrgreen:

so, is this show worth getting started on? Noticed that the excitement of the ppl has gone down since the first 4-5 pages. I am still awaiting the judges' opinions!

Managed to NOT press the spoiler tags, oi oi oi... *so proud*

:cheers: :cheers:

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Oct 1st, '10, 11:15

Aww, LSG sucks big time as an actor.

You can quote me.

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Oct 1st, '10, 11:35

Peggy, dear, if you see the actors' thread, you'll see I actually like the guy by now. He seems fun, like a good kid and... well, ok. I find him cute, alright??!!? Ahahaha. He's kinda hot... In a dorky way...
But, much like with JKS or any actor I happen to watch, I separate my like for the person or their looks and their acting skills. I'm just being fair with my opinions. I like his voice. His Gumiho song is awesome.
But I just can't like his acting. It was ok with the comedy, but crying with the sad scenes in Gumiho only to stop and realize I'm watching a show, because his crying and talking is so fake, cannot be overlooked.

As for the fans, in my Dramabeans experience, Lee Seung Ki ones are far worse. You'd think the guy who is more likable off-stage, would have more understanding and balanced fans, but nope. Worse than Gaysha.
Back to the series now, I can't say anything more cause you ladies will know what happens right away, by my reaction alone. XD Maybe you already do. So I'll just keep quiet about this out of the spoiler tags and wait.

But
Can't wait for all the subs to be out cause I'm-a-be watching it again the minute they do! I love this soooooo much!
By the way, just watched it with mom. We cried out eyes out big time. And we basically want to marry the Emo Doc. Damn it... He's too awesome.

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Oct 1st, '10, 17:44

Qrion

I really do agree with you re Seunggi. It's quite clear he is in it for the publicity or whatever. He is not an actor but he is a nice fella basically.
The drama is totally built around the Miho role. She is perfect for it and she is a good actress who is sustaining our belief in her existence and we know we want a happy ending. I personally will be very irritated now if she ends up with Daewoong. I am shallow enough to want Emo to step forward and save the day. He looks so good and he is not that bad as an actor. At least I think he is going to improve as he works at it.
Seunggi will always be able to play a pleasant role in most dramas. He is very likable in his variety series. He is not an actor.

Have not been to Dramabeans for some time but I will give it a look to see what happened to you. those girls can have sharp knives at times.!

Here on TV the last episode I saw was where Grandpa is blowing his stack because ex GF says Miho is making DaeW work so hard when he is really hurt. Just when they were getting more friendly etc and now what will happen?? Time for Emo to appear if he has any sense. Oh well I guess that won't happen.

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Oct 1st, '10, 18:47

My lips are sealed. I have to be very careful to not tip you ladies off on what happens. And yes, Emo Doc is really nice.

Min Woo might not be a good actor, but he has something the carp lacks. An expressive face. His expressions are good.
He can do very subtle changes with his face to convey all the right emotions. He's just bad with his lines and delivering them.

But he has potential. He needs to work hard, but he can get there. I just don't get that from the carp. Two lead roles, no improvement.
Actually, he got worse in Gumiho than he was in Shining Inheritance. So, he doesn't show he can improve his acting. He just can't act.
And he doesn't have the subtlety Min Woo has. He overacts and overdoes his expressions. He can't calm his performance down.

Neliets

Post by Neliets » Oct 1st, '10, 18:54

You can call me stupid but I've never understood what counts as "good" acting. Seriously. I've seen many, many kdramas, jdramas and US/UK tv-series but I still don't understand this. Maybe I'm just too stupid for this. Of course, there were dramas where I couldn't feel the chemistry between leads.

And truly idiotic 2ne1 got award again <_<_<_<(kpop)

celeste

Post by celeste » Oct 1st, '10, 19:18

i like lsg's acting. and he's kinda cute in some way, it really touched me when he cried at the end.
i also cried sooo much cause it's over!
though it has a happy end
the best scene is when dae woongs friends imagine what happends when dw gets into the marriage. when he's taking emo doc out ... whahaha :D

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Oct 1st, '10, 19:40

Celeste, welcome to the forums. ^^

Also
The wedding scene was hilarious. The look of utter love and joy on Min Woo's face as he was carried away was priceless! :lol
Neliets, I guess I personally consider the old theater type of acting "bad". Meaning, when there's a persistent style and fakeness about the performance.
When it doesn't feel realistic, like how a person would react to what's going on in real life. Lack of realism in the emotions and expressing of them.

When Seung Ki does his lines, they feel like that. Like lines. Like he is just reciting them without being in character. He's cute and all, but it's always "him".
He doesn't suck you into the character. You don't see the character. You see the person. And to me, that constitutes a failure in performance.
An actor is supposed to portray someone and make you believe, 100% that that's who they are. That gets you involved with the work and character.

celeste

Post by celeste » Oct 1st, '10, 19:57

thanks!
i agree. xD the expressions were great! revenge!
and yes, but for people like me who didn't watch as many dramas with lsg he seems like a ... quite good actor. i think the role of d-w just fitted him. but you're right, i think ...

Neliets

Post by Neliets » Oct 1st, '10, 20:47

Orion1986 wrote:Celeste, welcome to the forums. ^^

Also
The wedding scene was hilarious. The look of utter love and joy on Min Woo's face as he was carried away was priceless! :lol
Neliets, I guess I personally consider the old theater type of acting "bad". Meaning, when there's a persistent style and fakeness about the performance.
When it doesn't feel realistic, like how a person would react to what's going on in real life. Lack of realism in the emotions and expressing of them.

When Seung Ki does his lines, they feel like that. Like lines. Like he is just reciting them without being in character. He's cute and all, but it's always "him".
He doesn't suck you into the character. You don't see the character. You see the person. And to me, that constitutes a failure in performance.
An actor is supposed to portray someone and make you believe, 100% that that's who they are. That gets you involved with the work and character.
Thanks for explanation. but not always it's about acting skills. Just like the female lead in Playful kiss - I'd blame the script(not even half way to believe), because the actress was very good in Bad Guy, though.

In this drama there were very few moments of his not-so-good acting(or I was just blinded by the cuteness of Shin Min Ah).

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Oct 1st, '10, 21:59

I do agree about the script. Also, sometimes the director decides on the style and performance and has very specific (and annoying) ideas.
But also, some people can be good in drama but bad in comedy or vice versa. Maybe this lady of PK is just not good in less melodramatic roles.

I am not judging Seung Ki by just Gumiho. I've seen him in melodrama and this one as well. He's weak in both. Now, either both directors sucked and made him act bad, or the man just can't act.
Granted though, he's better in some scenes in Shining Inheritance than he is in Gumiho. It was probably a combination of him, director and maybe even cast chemistry that changed things like this.
Which makes my argument even stronger though. If his mood/co-stars/director and other outside factors affect his acting to such a point, then he's no real actor. A real actor cannot be affected by such things.

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Oct 2nd, '10, 01:34

I saw'Inheritance' but I did not think much of it as I remember. II liked the old lady who owned the restaurants and I loved Bae Soo Bin.
I think this was the first acting job for Seunggi was'nt it?

Archaenon

Post by Archaenon » Oct 3rd, '10, 04:10

I feel so bad , because I was into it , and then two episodes in it was completely dwarfed by Playful Kiss. I really need to catch up with the eps.

Esp since it's LSG in it. =3

JiveTalkinRobot

Post by JiveTalkinRobot » Oct 3rd, '10, 16:01

I thought LSK(G?) did a pretty good job in Gumiho. I've never seen any of his other work, but it was fine in this. Maybe because I wasn't focusing on him too much (since most of my focus was on Shin Min Ah).

To be clear though, I think Mi Ho (Shin Min Ah) really carried the show.

The Emo Dr. I found to be a horrrible actor that is devoid of any animation. It sounded like he was reading lines off the teleprompter I think you ladies are giving him more credit than he deserves because of his emo good looks. In fact you may be discounting LSKs acting because he isn't that good looking (and looks like a carp).

Back on the show topic....the ending felt a bit rushed and not complete....
BUT I'm really glad it ended the way it did!

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Oct 3rd, '10, 16:17

I disagree, personally. Most of us here can very well distinguish between good looks and skills. Which is the only reason why we are still bothering with Jang Keun Suk since the looks are long gone. He might still act good.
And I personally, if you've been to other threads, find Seung Ki kinda cute by now. He's got a good voice, seems like a nice kid and he's not that ugly. He's got some nice features. The acting kinda spoils em though.

Lee Seung Ki sounds fake with his lines. He overacts. No Min Woo has the opposite problem. He "underacts". He lacks involvement. He's cold, like you say. BUT, at least he can pull off some subtle expressions.
Lee Seung Ki has no subtlety. He overdoes most of his expressions and even his drama looks more like comedy. Like he's mocking the emotions. Now, he has his ok moments, but they are very few. Same with the Doc.

They are both bad, just at opposite ends of the spectrum. I personally can handle someone who's cold but can have some successful looks on his face, more than someone who overacts. It's just a personal taste thing, I guess.

As for the ending
Those tears of relief and joy. Hoo boy, did I cry like mad! Ahaha. I don't care if it was rushed. I honestly don't give a damn. After the fear of having the show turn into tragedy, this ending was like a miracle to me!

Myxale

Post by Myxale » Oct 5th, '10, 11:09

Have yet to see the last two epis.

Gotta be strong...gotta be strong!

janajee

Post by janajee » Oct 5th, '10, 11:40

Have officially watched my first episode
How cute is Mi Ho? She's the most adorable thing EVAR. So kawaaaaaaiii. I think I'm having a girl-crush, because she's the most cutest thing I've ever seen. Hehehehe. How scary she can be, and awwww. Hahaha, I will definitely love this already because of her.

Also... Emo Vet Doctor? How... well handsome is that guy? Hehehehe

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Oct 5th, '10, 14:01

Well, how can any woman not get a girl-crush on her? She's as sweet as cotton candy dipped in melted chocolate and topped with sprinkles! And honey!!! XD

JiveTalkinRobot

Post by JiveTalkinRobot » Oct 5th, '10, 23:14

Do you think it's unhealthy to get unrealistic expectations of women based on this show?

I mean Mi Ho is so cute that when watching I sometimes think to myself, "man I wish [my girlfriend] was as bright and cute as Mi Ho"....

Not sure if that is a good thing...

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Oct 5th, '10, 23:57

Dear JTR.

I don't think you would always like to have a GF all that 'cute' She is too cute to be true you know, and then all that meat eating gets a bit gross. She is a good character and the actress plays her beautifully. However, she is a gumiho and I don't think you would want all the future problems that would incur. How would you explain her tails if they suddenly popped out? And what about her fierce glances when she is about to go into a temper tantrum. Don't tell me a gumiho, even as pretty as Mi ho, would not have a temper.

No...Stick with the girl you have as long as she sticks with you..... 8)

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Oct 6th, '10, 02:22

I think he meant the actress maybe? And the cuteness, not the whole?

Look, it's normal to wish the man/woman we'd find for ourselves was so beautiful and cute.
But there are problems with that too. Jealousy is easier and so is fear of being dumped.

Now, I'm not saying beautiful people are bad people, but it's easy to be conceited when pretty.
One way it would work, is if they had low self-esteem and didn't think they were pretty.
But again, you'd be trading one issue for the other. She'd be hot, but would not like herself.

Now, these are when talking about a more casual relationship, of course.
Love changes all so the same rules don't apply so clearly when you have it.

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Oct 6th, '10, 18:09

:roll

Well...not really being all that serious. tongue in cheek if you will. Just thinking how

JTR would deal with the situation in my mind. It conjures up situations that would be

more erratic than in the drama I think... :-)

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Oct 6th, '10, 18:23

Re the more interesting older couple. I wondered about Mr.Ban always having the toothpick. Well today I watched a show about Nihonbashi, a section of Yokyo. It was the subject of many paintings in the Ukiyok-e style. Very busy and interesting place during the Edo period. Well there are several shops that have existed since that time and they are almost 200 years in constant trading.'One of them is where toothpicks are still make by hand. Various woods are used and they have a particular shape. Some of them are extremely espensive. It seems that it was a cultural fashion then and even in the 1960's for men to have their own special type of toothpick. It was considered very cool and almost sexy to have a pick in the corner of your mouth.

So..Mr. Ban was still feeling his oats and being cool and I think it suited him very well. It is easy to imagine him in samurai clothing swashbuckling along charming the ladies. He certainly charmed Aunt out of her shoes.
Last edited by Peggy on Oct 8th, '10, 19:32, edited 1 time in total.

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Oct 7th, '10, 19:06

Hate to say it...but I thnk I am getting a little tired of this drama. It's not moving along and I really don't care who gets who.

I would like to see more of Mr. Ban and Aunt. At ;east they are funny as well as romantic.

Kind

Post by Kind » Oct 8th, '10, 19:05

For those who saw them, what did you think of the last two episodes?
(please put it in spoilers so we don't ruin it for anyone) :)

piousm

Post by piousm » Oct 10th, '10, 06:08

I've watched it all, and I think it would be up there in my top 3 favorite dramas (J or K). I really dont have any complaints, though it took me a while to warm to the male lead. Any tips on something similar?

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Oct 10th, '10, 14:34

The girl behind the gumiho: Interview with Shin Mina

Well, how can we NOT have a girl-crush on her? She's too adorable! :heart:

Neliets

Post by Neliets » Oct 10th, '10, 15:52

piousm wrote:I've watched it all, and I think it would be up there in my top 3 favorite dramas (J or K). I really dont have any complaints, though it took me a while to warm to the male lead. Any tips on something similar?
I've seen quite a lot dramas but there is nothing similar... nothing so cute and lovely ;D

janajee

Post by janajee » Oct 10th, '10, 20:25

I'm crying
Man, I'm up to episode 12, and I'm crying. Poor Dae Woong, poor Mi Ho, and the only thing that giving me hope is that I know it'll end well. :'(

But I have to say that this drama was very well done. I'm quite enjoying myself completely. Even Dae Woong is lovely. I find myself just loving the guy.

Also how cute are the aunt and the director? Seriously? It's like one of my favorite parts whenever they come out, cause they're just so adorable.

But :(( Dae Woong and Mi Ho.... The only reason why I stopped was that my head hurts and I have work and about 2 hours or so, and I haven't had any sleep at all. :(((((
I am totally loving this drama.

Totally, totally, totally!

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Oct 10th, '10, 20:34

Hee hee. I knew you would. You're so cute. This is perfect for you. :D

janajee

Post by janajee » Oct 11th, '10, 02:29

I have just downloaded the OST so that I could play it while I'm working. MAAAAN, I can't wait till 5, then it's time to watch it again. Man, oh man, oh man.
Also what is up with that Noona lady? She's such an annoying entity. Seriously. Also Doctor Emo not really helping. I actually don't like him as much as I did in the beginning. Hahahahah, he's one of those second leads that I cannot sympathize with. Still cute though.

Still love the director and aunt. Their song just played in my player and I know it's a serious song... but I just really laughed out loud. Hahahaha
I haven't had this much fun with a Korean Drama since YAB. Hahahahah I planned to seriously pace myself with this... but after two days, I couldn't help it. It's just so so so so cute. I'm going to cry when I finish this, I just know it. It's such an awesome drama. WAAAAAH :)

janajee

Post by janajee » Oct 12th, '10, 01:22

Just finished up until episode 14.
This is just so so sad. I feel so sorry for Mi Ho. It's like my heart is breaking for her. And she doesn't even know that Dae Woong is doing it for her own good. I just feel so angry at the situation. Which is weird because this is the first time I've ever actually understood the whole separating for the other's own good. I mean during the other shows, it just seemed so shallow whenever they would do that. Always pissed me off... but this, well this situation just broke my heart. I hate that they both have to go through this. It's like it's a valid reason that they can't be together, but they obviously want to be together. It was such a heartbreaking episode.

I hate to say this, what with some of my loyalty still stuck with the fallen JKS, but it's been so much better that YAB for me. It's just realistic, the situation, albeit the fact that it's about a gumiho. It's just really making me cry.

Especially that part where he ran away from her, and it started raining? Oh my gawsh, I looked like an idiot sniffing to myself right then and there
I need Episode 15-16 now, but viikii is being such a bee-atch that I can't watch it.

Also Lee Seung Ki... is really, really, really endearing. Sure not as great as an actor but, damn this role of his here is pretty well done. AAAAAH, I'm going crazy.

Kind

Post by Kind » Oct 13th, '10, 16:08

Stupid Viikii! :cussing:
Let me know what you think after you watch the last two. :-)

Don't read unless you have completed watching the whole series!
I'll be vague incase some spoiler hounds can't help themselves. :P
I liked how it ended, but not how they made it end that way, I don't think it really went well with the story. It was a bit out of nowhere. Am I the only one who thinks this? =/

janajee

Post by janajee » Oct 13th, '10, 17:22

So I just finished it last night :) :) :) :) :)

I cannot stop smiling. I just can't stop smiling about it. I even drew Mi Ho with all of her nine-tails onto my journal. I'm just so happy about it.
I absolutely loved it. I think for me, it was just right. What I really liked about Episode 15 is that about less than half way through, you realize that Mi Ho didn't really believe Dae Woong. I mean Dae Woong told her all of these nasty things, and she knew he was lying. And it was just so awesomely sweet how she knew. Put that in any other Korean drama and we would have seen at least a couple more episodes of her being angry at him, and him hurting inside. I'm glad that they did that with episode 15. Also, I absolutely adored the ending. I don't know, I think it was just right for me. Like she didn't lose what she really was in the end. She was still a fox, right up to the end. I loved the awesome reunion at the end. Also, that kiss before she disappeared... that was the most painful thing ever. It broke my heart and I cried a lot. But I totally, TOTALLY, loved it.

I think this is one of the best I've watched in a while. I love how they made the characters so realistic, with realistic responses to the situations. It's an awesome thing to watch all over again. XD

aility

Post by aility » Oct 13th, '10, 17:59

I am totally lagging behind on this drama watching... It is all SKKS for now.

In december, maybe then I will have time for this fluffiness ^^

Tungii

Post by Tungii » Oct 13th, '10, 18:54

Just finished the show.

And I loved the drama, one of my favorite drama atm.
I LOVED the final episode where everything was just so sad, until the last 5 minutes :lol

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Oct 13th, '10, 19:35

About the ending
I honestly didn't feel it was weird at all. It's fantasy. You can do anything. She found a man who loves her and was willing to die for her so the Granny kept her promise. Nothing weird or sudden about that.
And since it's been a while since it's over, I can now say that I loved the series. LOVED it! It's really one of my favorites. Just what I need and love. Fluff, cuteness, fairytale romance. Seemingly shallow and light, but not.
Really a beautiful piece of work. Sure, we had some issues in the acting department (although I've warmed up to the carp by now and emo doc is of the cold and not annoying variety), but all in all, awesome series.

piousm

Post by piousm » Oct 13th, '10, 20:11

About the emo doc, one of my daughters is right into the series and korean music, essentialy (she tells me) each main actor sang thier "theme" song, gumiho did the lalala thing, woong did the gumiho song, emo did the one with the guitar music (my girls call it the "sexy music"), they call noona's the "**** music"), anyway the emo guy was a drummer in a band, he had white hair and looked like a shemale. I'm really gonna miss this show, it was our weekend treat ToT

janajee

Post by janajee » Oct 13th, '10, 21:19

Hahahah, over here, me and my friends called it the seductive music, cause it's the type of music one can usually here use in seductive scenes here.

I miss it already. I mean, I love it that I've finished earlier than my friends, so that I can give them a copy and then I would watch with them, and even then I know I'm not going to get tired of watching it again.

I absolutely loved all the characters (maybe not Noona's character for at times she totally pissed me off, which may just mean that it's a great evil character which made me dislike her very much. Also emo doc pissed me off, in that way too XD). I loved that the story doesn't get draggy, and I love how everyone is in this show.

It's going to be hard to find a show, for me, that could kick this out of my heart right now.

Fluff, fantasy, love; just like Ate Orion, this definitely all that I need in a drama :)

JiveTalkinRobot

Post by JiveTalkinRobot » Oct 13th, '10, 21:32

Yep - this is still one of my favs. I recently went on to watch Super Rookie and Personal Taste, but still like these so much better.

Is it weird that I want to learn Korean just so I can understand these dramas? Will I even be able to? Like say after completing the Pimsleur audio CDs?

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Oct 13th, '10, 22:04

Well, I've been watching kdramas and movies since December and I understand quite a few expressions by now.
So yes, if you really want it, you could learn it. It doesn't seem like a very hard language. At least to understand and speak. Writing is a whole other issue. XD

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Oct 13th, '10, 22:09

It's more difficult than the Japanese. Pimsleur is a sham.
Korean without proper grammar book is unreachable. The pronunciation is difficult for everyone from Indo-European family of languages. It takes time. Sorry.

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Oct 13th, '10, 22:27

Hell, it took me two years to learn finnish, with 5 hours in class every day and finnish is ridiculously easy. So yeah, no learning korean with just a tourist book and kdramas. Or with a 1 month class or something.
It would take proper studying in a classroom. But it is possible if you're willing. It's not like it's totally unreachable and would take a lifetime. At least to get the basics and be able to understand and speak.

That's just my uneducated opinion from what I've heard and seen of the language so far. Ethlenn is far more equipped to express an estimation, but I personally think that any language can be learned if the will power is there.

janajee

Post by janajee » Oct 13th, '10, 23:31

Well me and my classmates had to take a year course to learn how to read and write in Greek as part of our course, and that was the only exposure I've ever had of any other language that's my own. It was Koine Greek too, if I'm not mistaken. I still remember how to read and write in Greek, only problem is my vocabs are extremely lacking. Like lacking. Hahahaha

But my bestfriend and I have always wanted to learn the Japanese language... and she's taking a serious course in it now. I'm planning to take up some asian languages, especially Chinese when I get the chance too.

BUT BUT BUT BUT

I totally understand what you mean dude, with the whole wanting to learn stuff, it's the same I think for everyone.

Ain't Mi Ho the most adorable being ever placed on our planet? She's so so so so so nomu nomu nomu nomu nomu nomu cute XD

If I were a lesbian, she'd definitely be my standards for a girlfriend, you know that's right XD

JiveTalkinRobot

Post by JiveTalkinRobot » Oct 13th, '10, 23:53

Yeah it's like I said - Mi Ho has kind of become the ideal...it's not realistic though as I think a lot of her charm is how naive, honest and blunt she is. The world is like a wonderland to her, so full of excitement for the little things. It's endearing and when watching you feel a sense of wonderment with her.

I think I'm going to learn Mandarin as well...are HK/Taiwanese/Mainland China dramas in Mandarin?

janajee

Post by janajee » Oct 14th, '10, 03:01

I think they are. I'm not sure, don't take my word for it. Hahahahaha, but you could watch and give it a try :)

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Oct 14th, '10, 10:40

Yep. If we all went lesbian, it would be an honor to have Mi Ho. Ahaha. We can still love her platonically though. Like an unni (yeodongsaeng).

And I think her character is refreshing because of how much this world lacks innocence most of the time. I mean, we take things for granted too much.
We are always rushing to live our hectic lives that we just don't stop and appreciate some things that really are important and wonderful. Mi Ho does that.
She finds meaning in things that we, as a human race, don't sometimes see the meaning in, even if it's there. That innocent and loving view of the world is her charm.

never2muchcoffee

Post by never2muchcoffee » Oct 14th, '10, 15:03

So I'm way behind everyone in watching the show, because I prefer to have the higher quality downloads and subs when I watch. But I finally caved this week and donated to WithS2 to get the final 2 episode subs cause I simply could NOT wait any longer. And I've avoided this thread because I'm a sucker for spoilers and this was one show where I did not want anything spoiled. So I spent the past 4-5 days watching each episode and then reading the recaps on dramabeans (which are damn hilarious in and of themselves) after each one. Another thing I like about the dramabeans recaps is that they often explain aspects of Korean culture or speaking that I would otherwise not understand :)

And so, after staying up until the wee hours of the morning to watch the last 4 episodes, and bawling my eyes out like a baby in the last 2 eps, I'm finally ready to proclaim my undying love for this show! It's been a while since a show made me laugh to the point where I had to pause it so I wouldn't miss anything, or cry so hard I couldn't see the screen of my laptop. This is one I'll watch again and again.

As for the cast - hated bug-eyed noona and her lisping. Someone put her out of her misery, please. Thought the director and the aunt were freakin' hilarious at times, though I did get tired of them halfway through. Grandpa kinda got on my nerves, but I'm so glad he wasn't the stereotypical family patron who judges a potential in-law on wealth and status. What kind of dog was Dae Woong's pet? She was beautiful. The sidekicks were okay, they fell kind of flat for me.

Emo-dude = preeeeeetttttyyyyyyy. Digging his haircut. Now that I've seen the whole series, I understand his character's conflicts and what drove him, but there were many times during that I felt he was flat and confusing. Whatever. I'd still be happy to comfort him :P

LOVED LOVED LOVED Mi Ho and Dae Woong. Loved the actors, loved the characters, loved their chemistry. Mi Ho is adorable and cute and fey and sympathetic, although her "Wooooooong-ah" whines did get on my nerves a couple of times :) Looking back, I can somewhat see the overacting complaints about Dae Woong, but I didn't see it while watching the show. I was so immersed in the characters and the story that I completely bought into the two of them. In my personal opinion, it was Dae Woong's red, tear-filled eyes and trembling lips and chin that did me in during the last 2 eps. To me, he was very convincing and I thought he portrayed his character quite well.

Yep, I definitely rank this show as one of my top 2 favorite kdramas - Coffee Prince being the other one. I haven't see any other Hong sisters dramas except You're Beautiful, so I'm not tired of the plot mechanisms or anything yet. This drama felt fun and fresh to me. There's definitely nothing like this on American TV!

aility

Post by aility » Oct 14th, '10, 16:51

JiveTalkinRobot wrote:Yeah it's like I said - Mi Ho has kind of become the ideal...it's not realistic though as I think a lot of her charm is how naive, honest and blunt she is. The world is like a wonderland to her, so full of excitement for the little things. It's endearing and when watching you feel a sense of wonderment with her.

I think I'm going to learn Mandarin as well...are HK/Taiwanese/Mainland China dramas in Mandarin?
:offtopic:
Hongkong dramas are in cantonese... TW and Mainland China are in Mandarin. I think Korean is easier to learn than Chinese. At least how to read and write.. and perhaps talk. Eh...

And dude, it is totally like normal to wanting to learn Korean due to those dramas. I know I started to. Not really 100% focusing, but slowly, slowly...

JiveTalkinRobot

Post by JiveTalkinRobot » Oct 14th, '10, 17:24

"And I think her character is refreshing because of how much this world lacks innocence most of the time. I mean, we take things for granted too much.
We are always rushing to live our hectic lives that we just don't stop and appreciate some things that really are important and wonderful. Mi Ho does that.
She finds meaning in things that we, as a human race, don't sometimes see the meaning in, even if it's there. That innocent and loving view of the world is her charm."

Exactly how I feel, you just said it a lot better than me.

janajee

Post by janajee » Oct 14th, '10, 23:57

I mentioned this earlier, but I just love how Mi Ho and Dae Woon reacted to situations:
I mean this was truly the first time I didn't want to hurt either leads for leaving the other behind for their own good... because what Dae Woong did for Mi Ho was literally for her own good. So she wouldn't die. and though it's been done a MILLION times before, this was the first time it made sense. First time I actually I cried out of sadness, and not anger. And Mi Ho was amazing. I think I wrote what I thought of that in my journal. I said that I'd do the same thing that Mi Ho did at the 15th episode. I'd rather he think I was happily living somewhere because of what he did for me, than he become depressed and sad because I'm dead and gone. It's so so so heartbreaking.

And I too loved it when it was sad until the last five minutes, and then it was an extremely happy ending.
I still cannot get over the fact at how awesome it was.

Myxale

Post by Myxale » Oct 30th, '10, 19:23

Finally got around to watch the last couple of epis, and I have some mixed feelings.

Did I like it...Yeah, it had some really cool moments and very nice and memorable leads.
The Director Ahjussi, was nomu, nomu, nomu cool! I totally dug his style!

Sure there wasn't some stellar or otherworldly acting involved, but this kind of Drama never required such.

My gripes are, that there were quite some shameless plot devices and a repeating pattern.
Sure I didn't expect writing on the level of a Tolstoi, but cutting the viewer some slack would've been nice, tho!

Note to the Hong Bints; even fluff and tuff needs a thought-out plot!

I suspected that the Grandma would make an appearance and it happened in the same manner i predicted. Some things were simply obvious.

And why did the poor Doc stay a plot device, why couldn't we learn more about him and his past, his GF. He only served as an angst-meter-maker and remained an mysterious mystic gibberish spouting mystery....Who at a dozen occasions contradicted himself. Repeatedly. But still one of the good guys!!

The end was nice and did leave a warm glow, although I don't get where Mi-Ho went after the last day was up! A nitpick, a small one, but still there!

The Drama was nice and charming (more charming in any way) but it surely doesn't make me want to watch it again- unlike some other dramas that still stick to my HDD.

Min-Ah, being my fav this years, was almost the only reason for me to watch.
The OST was good to and I appreciate it, since it stuck to me. And I found some great musicians this way.

As for the Pretty -Non Pretty debate that was going on a few weeks back...I have yet to see an non pretty person in a K-Drama/ Production. (by worldly standards)
None stood out as being un-look-able. Or ugly...not even the extras on the set!

But it's a matter of taste. For me personally, the feminism-wave that most of the K-J-Boys are diging, is a bit too much. And I don't want a man to look more womanly than a woman. I never got this part of the Nu Asian Fetish!!
This is why I always cheers whenever a drama sports the classical hunk of a man!

Anyway, this drama was surely worth the time, even though, I wished for more. I really dig the whole Gumiho Myth. It had some good potential. Some of it was wasted for the sake of simple tearjerker fluff some not.

But I can tell you, that Beef never looked so tasty to me!

PS. Save the, Doc...give him back-story!!!!

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Oct 31st, '10, 03:19

Myxale.
If you dig Gumiho tales I think you would really enjoy the much earlier one called

'Gumiho. the ninetailed Fox.'

Its very dramatic and not a fluffy romance but gives a lot more background about Gumihos.

I wiil try and find a link for the cast for you. Try it and I am sure you will like it. I loved it and would watch it again.

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Oct 31st, '10, 03:26

I think this is a link.....

Gumiho Storyof a Ninetailed Fox cast........................................

looks like I will have to try again......sorry. :scratch:

janajee

Post by janajee » Nov 1st, '10, 07:42

Hmmmm
It's kinda weird how some different people viewed the ending with Grandma coming out. Some find it out of the blue, like cop out or something that they just thought of at the moment to wrap the story up, whilst some thought that it was just plain obvious that it would happen. As for me, I really didn't think that Grandma would come out until she did at the last episode, and it made sense that she would come out when she did. I thought it was well done that that part connected to the first episode, where Mr. Monk talked about Grandma.

Personally, I thought that Mi Ho could have used the half of Woong's life which was still in the bead when she took it out, you know when the last of her tail at least is gone. Would have been possible, right? But she didn't, and decided to give it instead back to Dae Woong, which is why the Doc was a little annoyed to say the least when Mi Ho told him to give it back Woong.

Also, my friends and I also liked the fact that the Doc wasn't given much of a background check. It was nice, for us, how he remained a mystery until the end. As if telling the viewers, that though he's character is pretty cool, he isn't the focus of this drama, the hoy-hoy couple were.

Though I have to admit, they did use the same basic situations, there's two leads, and two other leads who work to tear them apart, but they stay together no matter what, but I think it's still refreshing that they took these same situations and gave it a different flavor. They had to separate, and she mustn't know why, not because of the guy's pride or anything, but because she would die. Same situation, different impact. You know?

Another thing that I really liked about this drama is Dae Woong's character. It's awesome how we see an evolution of the guy from this really irresponsible jerk to this awesome-pants man. I liked how they didn't show it to be instantaneous, but every episode we see him choosing more and more to become better.

I think the Hong Sister's managed a masterpiece with this one, in my most humble opinion
Hehehehe :)

Myxale

Post by Myxale » Nov 1st, '10, 11:49

Peggy wrote:I think this is a link.....

Gumiho Storyof a Ninetailed Fox cast........................................

looks like I will have to try again......sorry. :scratch:

LOL, don't worry Peggy, I already have one eye on that drama already, and as soon my time permits I will be starting watching a new drama. This one is among the choices!

Cheers you, tech-savvy! :D

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Nov 2nd, '10, 04:21

:-) Sorry Myxale. this is a well used old worn out brain trying to work here..

Besides I've been sick.

Peg

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Nov 6th, '10, 13:55

No Min Woo to star in rock drama Boohwal

Oh hell yes. Yes yes yes. Although a 4 episode special based on a real person doesn't sound nice.
I mean, they can't be too creative with it so it won't be as wacky fun as kdrama usually is. Too bad.

Still, nice to see No Min Woo gaining some attention. He has some potential so I hope he works hard to become good.
Some may laugh at this, but the guy talks with his eyes. His facial expressions speak volumes and that's hard to do.
If you have that type of expression, you can study the actual acting, but if you lack that expressiveness, nothing helps.
I really hope he's the kind of guy who is a fast learner. It would be a shame to waste his potential, if he does want to act.

Issy

Post by Issy » Nov 6th, '10, 14:08

i had to google him and i liked what i saw :mrgreen:
will see the drama and on that basis might complete his adoption papers to be added to my other adopted kids. :whistling:

arakira
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by arakira » Nov 6th, '10, 14:14

Keke Issytan...so many kids lately...playing family with OJH and the boys?!? :mrgreen:

Oririn...thx for the info another rock-drama?!? Why am I looking more forward to one about an actual band than to MmM?!? Well at least the guy's got some prior 'rock' experience...