Things I noticed from Jdramas.

Talk about the culture and entertainment from Nihon.
lzydata

Post by lzydata » Mar 1st, '08, 16:43

Shadow Hexagram wrote:A sound effect cliché: the sound of a helicopter to give some dramatic intensity.
Along these lines, I've noticed that they use an ambulance siren sound when the character discovers that something's bad about to happen. At the moment I can't remember any particular drama that has this, but it's a common trick to get you the viewer a little bit anxious.

When the drama features a large principal cast - common settings: an office, a school, a family - and the touching moment happens towards the conclusion, everyone gets their turn to show the appropriate 'touched' expression for the camera.

Some clichés and stereotypes may not be a failure of the imagination, just a reflection of social realities (as far as I know). E.g. the OL living alone in a one-room apartment, working in a mind-numbing job with a glass ceiling, approaching 30 with no marriage prospects (alternatively, with an unreliable boyfriend), whose parent will in one episode unexpectedly come visiting from the jikka, and in the end improve their relationship and/or impart some valuable life advice. This is usually the father: he's usually unapproachable and unexpressive, but in the end manages to convey his concern and love. Offhand I can think of Ryu Raita in Kekkon Dekinai Otoko and Ono Takehiko in Hataraki Man. The mother in this role will usually be someone like Ichige Yoshie.

On the other hand, other stereotypes just irritate me, like the insane college environments portrayed in Hanazakari no kimitachi e and Hachimitsu to Clover. Please tell me this isn't real.

mizune
Geinou Fansubber
Geinou Fansubber

Post by mizune » Mar 6th, '08, 05:24

merging with a similar thread....
Read the D-Addicts FAQ before asking questions.
No movies here, so please don't request. Check the Asian Movie Torrent Links.

hey9

Post by hey9 » Mar 30th, '08, 19:49

The villain could ruin someone's family, attempt to have them killed, or do horrible things to take away their boyfriend/girlfriend - but at the end of the series the main character will always forgive the villain.

This actually pisses me off a lot of the time lol...

MochaValencia

Post by MochaValencia » Apr 2nd, '08, 00:29

It's a little late, but I'd also love to join in. Let me add a few observations: :P

1. For maximum appeal, sway your hips while walking AND running. [Matsumoto Jun in Gokusen and HYD].

2. A teacher who always wears black has a dark past [Maya (Amami Yuki) in Jyoou no Kyoushitsu].

3. Similarly, a doctor who has a closet full of black suits has a deep dark secret. [Naoe (Masahiro Nakai) in Shiroi Kage]

4. On the one hand, filming with four male main characters is like shooting a sentai series -- you have to give each a distinct look: One has to wear all the light colors, one should always wear a tie or a vest, one should always be in printed dress shirts (hint: floral) and the male lead should wear jackets or suits in the most unusual colors available (GOLD!). The distinction should also apply to personalities and vehicles (bike, sports car and limo) [HYD].

5. On the other hand, when shooting with several female leads and one actress literally towers over the others, that actress should only wear heels during the big events (i.e., court hearings), and wear flats *most of the time*, especially when all cast members have to stand within a single frame. [Ijima Taeko (Hara Sachie) in Shichinin no Onna Bengoshi]

6. When there are two cops or detectives (especially in comedies), one of them should be the serious half of the pair, the other is the kooky one. This won't matter, because both of them would be talented enough to solve the problem at hand anyway.

7. The orange mascot in cop shows [Odoru Daisousasen, Taiho Shichauzo, etc etc]

And I agree with everything that's been said about running :D
Last edited by MochaValencia on Apr 3rd, '08, 03:33, edited 1 time in total.

Beecubed

Post by Beecubed » Apr 2nd, '08, 02:43

Nice (and funny!) observations you guys. I don't really notice stuff like this, but most of it is pretty true. WOW the contrast between Kdramas and Jdramas is just getting more and more stark to me... T__T

albertoavena

Post by albertoavena » Apr 3rd, '08, 04:10

Not so much in J-dramas but in variety shows and things like that, has anyone ever noticed that most if not all the audience members are women? I always seem to notice that and have no idea why...

archive18

Post by archive18 » Apr 10th, '08, 08:39

It's been great reading through these posts and I have picked up on a lot of them. Yes what is this running thing :blink

One thing that I have noticed is the 'Protect the company at all costs, even if we have to get rid of an Innocent person'. Is it really like that within the Japanese corporate world ?

Don't get me wrong I am NOT having a pop at the culture it is something that I have notice coming out of the Jdrama that I have been watching. :scratch:

rairai

Post by rairai » Apr 10th, '08, 09:23

this thread made me laugh, really, but not in a negative way, coz i love everything abt japan (drama, people, fashion, tech, food and all)
iv also noticed