[Discussion] Tsuki no Koibito

Discuss Japanese drama series here.

Who do you want Rensuke (Kimura Takuya) to end up with?

Maemi (Shinohara Ryoko)
53%
Xiu Mei (Lin Chiling)
25%
Kazami (Matsuda Shota)
8%
Nobody
5%
I don't care
9%

Total votes: 278

darkmax

Post by darkmax » May 19th, '10, 16:55

By the way, I've heard that Lin ZhiLing is the highest paid actress in this series. Would they pay her that much toplay a second fiddle? I have my doubts.

However, logically speaking, Rensuke and Xiu Mei seems to LUST after each other. No true feelings of love, Rensuke and Yuzuki is more a business/political deal than a normal relationship, and Rensuke with Maemi is more like people in long drawn romances where the flame is almost burnt out.

Anyway, I think Maemi and Yuzuki look incompatible with Rensuke, one's too old while the other too young. Mind you I do know how old Takuya Kimura is.

Romance

Post by Romance » May 19th, '10, 17:05

darkmax wrote:By the way, I've heard that Lin ZhiLing is the highest paid actress in this series. Would they pay her that much toplay a second fiddle? I have my doubts.

However, logically speaking, Rensuke and Xiu Mei seems to LUST after each other. No true feelings of love, Rensuke and Yuzuki is more a business/political deal than a normal relationship, and Rensuke with Maemi is more like people in long drawn romances where the flame is almost burnt out.

Anyway, I think Maemi and Yuzuki look incompatible with Rensuke, one's too old while the other too young. Mind you I do know how old Takuya Kimura is.
My jp girlfriend also told me about it, they had to pay extremly much for her. Fujitv is also paying her whole stay in japan, hotel, food, sightseeing etc. Wonder if its worth it.. i think her acting is horrible and she's not that beautiful. well.. my 2 cent.

Nomanymore

Post by Nomanymore » May 19th, '10, 17:13

yanie wrote:
Nomanymore wrote:I think the same.
I hope they will show us soon their story, what happened to Rensuke, cause I think he wasn't like that in the past (based on Maemi's feelings for him :roll ) But so far I still don't feel Maemi's impact or importance to Rensuke yet. He just sees her as a talent designer and wants to sign a contract with her. It's where I want Kazami steps in and 'open his eyes'. well it sounds unfair but I don't think he has 'real' feeling for her anyway. I don't see his intentions by confession/making a move to Maemi beside for that reason (makes Rensuke realizes, but again why would he do that) unless it's just part of his plot. But again, Maemi would never fall for it lol so he can try forever ^^
Are? I thought you become more on the KazaEmi side when you see that Ep3 preview, heehee...
It's true that so far we don't know who Rensuke has feelings for, he never showed that. But I would take moments like when Rensuke asking Maemi for help rather than order/command her, as a hint. WIth other people incl. Xiu Mei, Rensuke gives order, like "Mattero!". But with Maemi he uses words like, "itte kurenai?", "tanomi ga arun dakedo...". It's really a big difference of words use, and I think we can see how Rensuke respect Maemi from that. He even let her to sit and wait inside when he was arguing with the staff. And did u notice how he let the blinds open when he was arguing with the staff, but then he close the blinds after he was alone with Maemi? Haha... what's up with that?
lol I think it's half and half. Part of me wants KazaEmi, but the other still goes for RenMi, I like them first after all ^^
hmm like s/o said, maybe Rensuke does that to make Maemi do what he wants. Knowing the normal way wouldn't work. IDK.. I really want to believe that she's somehow 'special' to him, but unless they make it clear rather than those subtle hints right now, otherwise it's hard for people who expected for RenMi before starting the drama.. It'd be weird later when all of sudden Rensuke turns to Maemi.. u know what I mean? ^^

bérangère

Post by bérangère » May 19th, '10, 18:42

kybiel wrote: Speaking about where they sit, in ep1, in the riverside restaurant, Rensuke chosed to sit next to Maemi first, then came to XiuMei coz of "amenbo". Maybe it's just because they are friends while he's not close with XiuMei, but i love that fact :D ....
Yes, I noticed it too : there is a proverb that says that love is not looking at each others, but looking together in the same direction, and that scene just reminded me that proverb (but of course, I suppose the author *may* not be as obsessed as we are in Rensuke x Maemi couple, and I should stop trying to find symbolism where there are just people, sitting) (but the other part of me just hope the author is as obsessed as I am...)

I think he sorts of consider Maemi as a prolongation of himself.
Could i understand it as a sign for the "love" which he has not noticed towards Maemi ? :roll
You can : I do ! :mrgreen:
Nomanymore wrote:hmm like s/o said, maybe Rensuke does that to make Maemi do what he wants. Knowing the normal way wouldn't work. IDK.. I really want to believe that she's somehow 'special' to him
Well, even if I think he uses her as he uses everybody else, that does not mean she is not special to him. She is the only one who stands, who does not *fear* him (even if I think Kazami does not really fear him either, he does not confront him directly... yet).
He can not *not* like this. (Or maybe I project myself too much in him, and he is just as any boring person who likes their partner submissive...) (I really hope he prefers challenge :mrgreen: )
We can't know yet if the feelings he has for Maemi is love... In fact, if FujiTV had not said from the begining that Maemi was in love with him, I would question her feelings either. But their relationship is definitely 'special' !

starlight116

Post by starlight116 » May 19th, '10, 21:59

I think of this That kazami is Hazuki Rensuke or Liu Xiu Mei brother. When he said he only think of him self. may be that his the brother with different father and maybe that. or MAy be he his the brother liu xiu.

The other think maybe he is working with boss of the Chinese store may be i think not. But i think he using that for his advatage. remember he know that the daughter love rensuke and kazami tell her that same place went he kiss liu xie. i think the plot is good and complicatant. I think kazami in the middle. I think kazami really like Maemi.

yanie
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by yanie » May 19th, '10, 22:20

I enjoyed reading all of minna's opinions and observations!^v^ I, myself, have run out of comments, hehe... I need to watch Ep3 before I can give any more comments.

But here's something interesting. Shinohara Ryoko talked abt Rensuke-Maemi's relationship starting point in the drama, in the official website's interview:

「最初の段階で、真絵美は蓮介を愛してはないんですよ。真絵美自身は、蓮介を男女間の愛の対象として捉えていたくないような感じなんです。好きだけどLIKEであって、LOVEではない...どちらかというと、家族関係のような腐れ縁が続いているようなイメージ。真絵美だけではなく、蓮介も、お互いにLOVEを意識していないところからスタートします。そんな2人が、何をきっかけにLOVEという面で惹かれあっていくのかは、私も楽しみにしています。」

"In the beginning Maemi doesn't love Rensuke. Maemi herself doesn't want to develop any 'man and woman' love feelings toward Rensuke. Suki dakedo, it's LIKE, not LOVE. They have continuous inseparable bond like family. Both Maemi and Rensuke started without being aware of LOVE feelings, in this drama. I, myself, want to know if later something would make these two become attracted to each other in the LOVE side."

yanie
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by yanie » May 20th, '10, 03:52

CHARACTERS DESCRIPTION
(from the official website)

translated by yanie

Hazuki Rensuke (Kimura Takuya)
35 years old. Regolith president.
The president of Regolith, an interior company that grew rapidly. During college, he aimed to be a designer. He built Regolith with the intention of supplying good furnitures for many people. In the present, he accomodate many employees and aim to be number one in the interior world. It's not "money", but "to win" is the most important thing for him. He demand results, and for those who cannot give him that, he'll become strict and discard them. It is his determination to put effort in reaching his goal. But Rensuke's position come to change, the more people involved the more it's difficult for him to live that way. He can't do things in a 'clean' way anymore, since people who understands his intention has becoming less and less.
To realize the foreign project, he flies to Shanghai, but...

Ninomiya Maemi (Shinohara Ryoko)
35 years old. Interior designer.
She's the subcontract interior designer of Regolith. She has an inseparable relationship with Rensuke since they were in the art university together. She's a bestfriend who has supported Regolith growth from a different angle. She has worked as the on-the-spot-decision-maker interior designer for 10 years. She don't usually wear much make-up and always dresses roughly. She is loved by the crews. She's the 'anego'(big sister) type who never act pretentious. She don't mind in doing something for other people, and so she always get the short end of the stick. Especially, with Rensuke, it's exactly the case.
Meanwhile, she's not good at expressing her feelings, instead she reflect herself in her creations. The more she immersed herself in her works, the more she forget the fact that she should've convey her feelings and face the person she love.
Although she knows that the impossible tasks Rensuke always demand from her are dangerous, but it stimulates her creativity so somehow she always get on with it.

Liu Xiu Mei (Lin Chiling)
28 years old.
A factory worker who live in the poor area in Shanghai. She works in the conventional furniture factory, "Tian Mei Furniture", and she also has to take care of her sick mother at home. The factory's pay is very little and she cannot save much. But the fact she has a job makes her happy enough. Actually, she is a beauty who would make anyone in the street turn around. She is the model of the factory poster and kind of like a mascot for the factory.
But one day, her fate changes, Regolith bribed Tian Mei Furniture and so the factory got torn down. Together with the other workers she went against Regolith, but...

Cai Feng Jian / Sai Kazami (Matsuda Shota)
25 years old. Rensuke's right-hand man.
He's a 2nd generation Chinese who was born in Tokyo. In Japanese, his name reads Sai Kazami. Despite the fact he is young, he has a top position in Regolith as Rensuke's right-hand man. He speaks three languages fluently. In college, he coindentally come to know Rensuke and it had a big impact on him. He managed catalogue sales through the internet for Rensuke, and since then he become in charge of programming. Since then, with Rensuke's consideration of his capability, he become Regolith employee and succesful in his career.
For the Shanghai project, as he's a Chinese he become a key person and faced various troubles together with Rensuke, but we do not know his true nature yet...

Oonuki Yuzuki (Kitagawa Keiko)
23 years old. Charismatic model.
The recent popular model whom young girls adores. So far, she has never given up anything she wants. She always pursue them to the extent she can ignore her surroundings. And so sometimes she has a wild behavior and stubborn attitude, but that just shows how innocent and pure she is. Actually she is the daughter of Oonuki Shogen, the president of Mastpole, the No.1 interior company in the country. When she coincidentally met Rensuke, she started thinking to make him hers.

Peggy

Post by Peggy » May 20th, '10, 05:51

Yanie,

I don't quite agree with the statement made by Shinohara about the feelings between Maemi and Rensuke.
I think there is a deeper emotion than just 'like' I think they have known one another for so long that both of them are unaware how much they blend and how their feelings have grown. I think probably Maemi has by now realised that she does feel much more than 'like' for Rensuke. Especially this will be so now that Xui Mei has appeared.
As for Rensuke. He has no clue about the way Maemi feels and not any thought of how he really feels. They both get along so well together that it is such a comfortable relationship. He won't know his feelings until there is a possibility that Maemi could leave or another man comes into the picture. Not sure right now who that man would be but Rensuke would certainly be stopped short if this happens.
It's interesting....
Peggy

yanie
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by yanie » May 20th, '10, 06:14

Yeah, that's exactly what I want to see right now~ Jealous-Rensuke!

So at the moment, I think I will be supporting Kazami's intention in stealing Maemi away.
Kazami-kun, ganbatte~~~ :lol

Kimura said in Bokura no Ongaku, that he brushed his teeth 30 minutes, before "that" scene, lol.

I just read Rensuke's blog, and I'm happy to know many Japanese fans support RenMi pairing too. Maemi is really the most lovable character in the drama, isn't she?

shinri

Post by shinri » May 20th, '10, 16:07

I just finished watching episode two and reading everyone's comments and my head is completely jumbled. the first thing i did upon entering the thread was vote on the who should Rensuke end up with, and i ended up voting for no one. i admit i really dislike rensuke and i cant say i want any of them with him at this point. Frankly i want him to fall in love with shuumei, if only so she has the pleasure of discarding him. but of course,
Maemi is really the most lovable character in the drama, isn't she?
i absolutely adore shinohara ryouko, she's a fantastic actress, and certainly the best in this drama. after everything i read about lin chi ling, i expected her to be much worse, but i think she pulls off earnest but sweet tolerably well to the point where i half root for her. haha
im really hoping for kazami/maemi development. まあ、普通に松田翔太が出てくれば、ドラマを絶対見るから ^_^
that said, after everyone's comments on the one hand im convinced by rensuke/maemi shippers, and disappointed that the obvious ending will actually happen :glare:
i hate feeling like a drama is predetermined, so im going to hope its something more interesting than that.
like kazami/maemi とか。。。haha
でも、次のエピソードを楽しみにしています!

dramaddex

Post by dramaddex » May 21st, '10, 01:26

yanie wrote:
But all of his emotions showed in Ep2, I find it more on being sick of himself, but not really because he has feelings for Xiu Mei. After that eyes during the kiss, I really think he's not attracted at all in Xiu Mei :blink How do you observe that eyes during the kiss scene?
My first reaction was actually excitement, like i said before. It would be very boring if he suddenly likes her. :) Can't wait for ep3!! I want to see the revenge!

and for those who said chiling got paid more, i actually heard the opposite or differently. Chiling's paycheck a little bit less than that of keiko, ryoko, and shota and TWICE as less than kimura's.. haha but expected.

yanie
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by yanie » May 21st, '10, 01:41

dramaddex wrote:and for those who said chiling got paid more, i actually heard the opposite or differently. Chiling's paycheck a little bit less than that of keiko, ryoko, and shota and TWICE as less than kimura's.. haha but expected.
I think its her paycheck and accomodation fee altogether that makes it bigger than any other casts^^

Btw, does the hardsubs version has the themesong lyrics translation? I have romanized and translated Kubota Toshinobu's LOVE RAIN and was going to share it here, but I thought it'd be unnecessary if the hardsubs has it already^^

kybiel

Post by kybiel » May 21st, '10, 04:03

@Yanie:
Oh please, i'd love to see the lyric of Love Rain. It's better if it's the full version :D
And if you can, post the kanji lyric too, onegai~ :wub:

Coz I have watched softsub ver and lazy to download the hardsub :P

yanie
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by yanie » May 21st, '10, 04:18

Okay then, here you go :)
Please note parts of the translation are probably not accurate and/or has inappropriate English (I'm always bad at lyrics), so this is just for your temporary keep before someone with better lyrics-translating skill have it up^^

LOVE RAIN ~Koi no Ame~
By Kubota Toshinobu

Romaji & translation by yanie

止まらない雨が 恋が降らせた雨が
ふたりを 昨日へ 帰さない

Tomaranai ame ga, koi ga furaseta ame ga
Futari wo kinou e kaesanai

The non-stop rain, the rain brought down by love,
Won't send the two of us back to yesterday

氷の風の 真ん真ん中を ひとり進んだ 埋もれないよう
凍えた頬を 今あずけよう その手で Hold me, Baby
静かに咲いた きれいな花に 僕の覚悟が 目をこすり出す
ふたりで落ちた 恋の魔法 Special Lady 消えないで

Koori no kaze no manmannaka wo hitori susunda umorenai you
Hieta hoo wo ima azukeyou sono te de Hold me, Baby
Shizuka ni saita kirei na hana ni boku no kakugo ga me wo kosuridasu
Futari de ochita koi no mahou, Special Lady, kienai de

In the middle of the ice wind, I keep going forward alone
With that hands which are holding my freezing cheeks (Hold me baby)
I've prepared myself for that beautiful, quietly blooming flower, I rub my eyes
We're both falling in the magical love, Special Lady, please don't disappear

月にそっと見守られてるような やわらかい渦の中
未来の神話に刻まれそうな 物語作ろう

Tsuki ni sotto mimamorareteru you na, yawarakai uzu no naka
Mirai no shinwa ni kizamaresou na monogatari wo tsukurou

It's like being watched over by the moon, in the swirl
Let's make a story that would be carved in the future myth!

このまま君の 胸に飛び込んだまま
奪いたい ずっと 涙も その瞳も
止まらない雨が 恋が降らせた雨が
ふたりを 昨日へ 帰さない

Kono mama kimi no mune ni tobikonda mama
Ubaitai zutto namida mo sono hitomi mo
Tomaranai ame ga koi ga furaseta ame ga

As I jump in to your chest like this
I want to steal away your tears and eyes

Ooh wow in the Love Rain

派手な無邪気も たまの弱音も こぼせ合えれば そこにReal Love
君が操る 僕の鼓動 Come on, Lady 触れてみて

Hade na mujaki mo tama no jyakuon mo koboseaereba soko ni Real Love
Kimi ga ayatsuru boku no koudou, Come on Lady, furetemite

If we can spill each other with stood-out innocence and the soft sound of beads, that's Real Love
My heartbeat that you manipulate, Come on Lady, feel it

毎秒毎秒 強くなる愛と 増えてく切なさを
Philly Soulもうらやみそうな メロディに乗せよう

Maibyou, maibyou, tsuyokunaru ai to, fueteku setsunasa wo
Philly Soul mo urayamisou na merodii ni noseyou

Every second, every second, the getting stronger love and the increasing painful,
Let's place them on a melody that even Philly Soul would feel envy about

叫びたい君と 世界に笑われても
呆れた その目が 僕のSmile映すから
あたたかい雨が 大粒の情熱が
ふたりの Kissを ほどかない

Sakebitai kimi to, sekai ni warawarete mo
Akireta sono me ga boku no Smile utsusu kara
Atatakai ame ga, ootsubu no jounetsu ga
Futari no Kiss wo hodokanai

I want to scream it out with you, even if the world laugh at me
But there's a reflection of my smile on your shocked eyes
The warm rain, the large drops' passion
Fasten our kiss even more

想いを重ねたまま 今 Flying around
大切なひとつ以外 すべて そこに置いて

Omoi wo kasaneta mama, ima, Flying around
Taisetsu na hitotsu igai, subete, soko ni oite

As I felt many feelings, right now, Flying around
Except the one most important thing, just leave everything

このまま君の 胸に飛び込んだまま
奪いたい ずっと 涙も その瞳も
止まらない雨が 恋が降らせた雨が
ふたりを 昨日へ 帰さない

Kono mama kimi no mune ni tobikonda mama
Ubaitai zutto namida mo sono hitomi mo
Tomaranai ame ga koi ga furaseta ame ga

As I jump in to your chest like this
I want to steal away your tears and eyes

We're stuck in the Love Rain…
There's nobody else…

Original lyrics source: http://www.evesta.jp/lyric/artists/a149 ... 32999.html

yanie
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by yanie » May 21st, '10, 05:02

I have this question I can't get off of my mind regarding Maemi's reaction in Ep2:
This came in mind, on the scene where Xiu Mei just came back home angrily.

Xiu Mei: It was not a date!! That guy doesn't think of me as a woman nor a human!!
Maemi: Yatto wakatte kitan da ne.... (So you finally get that....)

I was actually wondering, why didn't she ask Xiu Mei at all, "What happened?". This means Maemi already know about Rensuke's plan in bringing Xiu Mei to the hotel owner? And despite that, Maemi didn't say anything to Xiu Mei or, at least, against Rensuke about it?

Or she was not sure of what Rensuke going to do with Xiu Mei.... but when Xiu Mei came home like that she just thought, "Yappari... (I knew it)...", coz she knows Rensuke too well, already??

But how is she not surprised at all that Rensuke didn't ask Xiu Mei out, out of sincerity? It's like Maemi can guess already that Rensuke is not really attracted to Xiu Mei and he's just going to "use" her?

What if Maemi is not as angelic as we thought?

poonk
United States of America

Post by poonk » May 21st, '10, 05:17

I'm sorta out of the J-drama loop at the moment, as I didn't even realize there was a new KT drama coming up until the first episode aired! :cry: I was terribly excited to see it classified as "Romance" (finally!) and stopped by this thread to read up on it to try to figure out exactly who the main heroine is supposed to be. I'm naturally rooting for Shinohara Ryoko but imagine my disappointment when I find that, while no one's quite sure yet, it's not looking good for Shinohara. Honestly, I'm not sure I'm going to like this with another pairing unless they make, oh, say, a Matsuda Shota/Shinohara pairing really appealing as a consolation prize. I mean, look at those poll numbers! Are we delusional or what? :crazy:
yanie wrote:
garnet07 wrote:Just noticed the spring dramas coming up today and excited for this drama with a joint collaboration between two of my favorite Japanese actors: Kimutaku and Shinohara Ryoko. Have they done any dramas or movies together before?
Yes, in Wakamono no Subete/Stay Gold (but their characters never met) and GIFT (one-sided love on Ryoko's side).
Holy crap, I watched Gift twice and I never realized that was her! My god, how funny!

dramaddex

Post by dramaddex » May 21st, '10, 05:22

yanie wrote:I have this question I can't get off of my mind regarding Maemi's reaction in Ep2:
This came in mind, on the scene where Xiu Mei just came back home angrily.

Xiu Mei: It was not a date!! That guy doesn't think of me as a woman nor a human!!
Maemi: Yatto wakatte kitan da ne.... (So you finally get that....)

I was actually wondering, why didn't she ask Xiu Mei at all, "What happened?". This means Maemi already know about Rensuke's plan in bringing Xiu Mei to the hotel owner? And despite that, Maemi didn't say anything to Xiu Mei or, at least, against Rensuke about it?

Or she was not sure of what Rensuke going to do with Xiu Mei.... but when Xiu Mei came home like that she just thought, "Yappari... (I knew it)...", coz she knows Rensuke too well, already??

But how is she not surprised at all that Rensuke didn't ask Xiu Mei out, out of sincerity? It's like Maemi can guess already that Rensuke is not really attracted to Xiu Mei and he's just going to "use" her?

What if Maemi is not as angelic as we thought?
Maemi already knew rensuke's motive and his doing. Remember she comments that she doesn't like his style of business, so that's why she's hesitant to join him? right? she even comments about his doing to shuumei. she already knew that rensuke wants shuumei primarily for his business.. did that answer your question? or was it something else?

plus, i noticed in the scene where rensuke pulled shuumei out on a "date," maemi took noticed (with her amazing eye glance) of the "violent/ harsh" way of "grabbing" his supposedly "date." So maemi most probably already knew something about this "date" not going right..

seirin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by seirin » May 21st, '10, 05:27

yanie wrote: But how is she not surprised at all that Rensuke didn't ask Xiu Mei out, out of sincerity? It's like Maemi can guess already that Rensuke is not really attracted to Xiu Mei and he's just going to "use" her?

What if Maemi is not as angelic as we thought?[/spoiler]
I think he's probably done it quite often to many girls and people. So she's not surprised. Maybe that's why she's keeping a distance as well? Trying to hide her feelings for him cuz she might get treated the same way?

kimutaku144

Post by kimutaku144 » May 21st, '10, 05:32

hi just jump in to this thread.

I think Maemi just go with the flow but she knows Renzuke's real character and what he's capable to do to get what he wants (like sacrifice his worker for his business venture). I think her being reserve because she knew that if she go and open her real feeling to Renzuke she will end up hurt by his behaviour and attitude in doing his business. She already express her objection about this in ep 2. If she warned Xiu Mei, Xiu Mei may think that she was jelaousy of her.

I have to say I don't like Renzuke character in this dorama, but I really impress with Kimutaku facial expression and acting. I think Kitagawa Keiko facial and look is really fit her character, spoiled-brat girl. I don't really care who Renzuke will end up with since I don't like his character now, maybe he will change who knows? I just hope the story will be develop more and better. Although I still hope they didn't cast Lin Chiling, especially since I already saw her acting (if you can call it acting) in Treasure Hunter with Jay Chou. my two cents.

I just realised it's hard to be exicted with a drama if you don't have a character you like to root for :p

dramaddex

Post by dramaddex » May 21st, '10, 05:52

Romance wrote:
My jp girlfriend also told me about it, they had to pay extremly much for her. Fujitv is also paying her whole stay in japan, hotel, food, sightseeing etc. Wonder if its worth it.. i think her acting is horrible and she's not that beautiful. well.. my 2 cent.
I believe chiling's very pretty and beautiful in this drama.. i think you find her not that pretty because many people do praise her beauty,,, i knew her as a model at first and thought she was pretty and ok, but after this drama, when she dresses plain or ordinary.. for some reason.. i find her more beautiful and charming..her charm came out? or (actually it was this drama that i've paid more attention to all the fuss about chiling) haha but yeah her acting's so so and she's so beautifully tall in high heels that makes kimura looks a bit short.. XD and awkward.. reminded me of lovely complex.. hahaha

i guess people who know chiling are attracted to her because of her charisma and big sisterly-like other than her beauty. When i see her interviews and talk shows, i get a nice vibe from her that i can talk to her without feeling embarrassed or anything. She's truly nice, so i'm not surprised when they offer her accommodations for free.

seirin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by seirin » May 21st, '10, 05:59

I didn't feel any charisma from Chi Ling. I don't even know if I would consider her a beauty? She's tall but that's about it. I find Ruby Lin's dimples makes her cute. But about charisma from Chinese actresses, there's very few I feel have it. One actress I do like is Kenix Kwok and RIP Barbara Yung in HK.

dramaddex

Post by dramaddex » May 21st, '10, 06:25

seirin wrote:I didn't feel any charisma from Chi Ling. I don't even know if I would consider her a beauty? She's tall but that's about it. I find Ruby Lin's dimples makes her cute. But about charisma from Chinese actresses, there's very few I feel have it. One actress I do like is Kenix Kwok and RIP Barbara Yung in HK.
I dont find her height as attractive.. quite frankly.. sometimes.. i wish she was just a little bit shorter.. haha but as a model.. perfect... as an actress.. not a good advantage unless the guy's extra tall. haha i'm such a conservative..

Have you listened to any of chiling's conversation in her native tongue? like during interviews and talk shows? when she's herself?

seirin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by seirin » May 21st, '10, 06:54

dramaddex wrote:
seirin wrote:I didn't feel any charisma from Chi Ling. I don't even know if I would consider her a beauty? She's tall but that's about it. I find Ruby Lin's dimples makes her cute. But about charisma from Chinese actresses, there's very few I feel have it. One actress I do like is Kenix Kwok and RIP Barbara Yung in HK.
I dont find her height as attractive.. quite frankly.. sometimes.. i wish she was just a little bit shorter.. haha but as a model.. perfect... as an actress.. not a good advantage unless the guy's extra tall. haha i'm such a conservative..

Have you listened to any of chiling's conversation in her native tongue? like during interviews and talk shows? when she's herself?
I don't really understand mandarin so no. But I really question some of her statements. I read somewhere they quoted her complimenting Kimura as cool and tall? Kimura isn't tall O_o Who is she kidding?

yanie
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by yanie » May 21st, '10, 07:20

kimutaku144 wrote:
I think Maemi just go with the flow but she knows Renzuke's real character and what he's capable to do to get what he wants (like sacrifice his worker for his business venture). I think her being reserve because she knew that if she go and open her real feeling to Renzuke she will end up hurt by his behaviour and attitude in doing his business. She already express her objection about this in ep 2. If she warned Xiu Mei, Xiu Mei may think that she was jelaousy of her.
I agree with dramaddex and seirin too, but I like your answer the most^^

But still,
The fact she didn't ask "What happened??" at all.... makes me think, it means something more. Or maybe I'm just obsessed abt it, lol XD
I didn't like Chiling in Red Cliff. But I come to like her more and more when I watch her in interviews, she seem very down-to-earth. And after all the bad critics abt her acting, I was surprised that her acting is very okay, so far. However, I have to say her acting gets bad when she has to do emotional scenes. She has to work on that more.

Lin Chiling is a great talent and hard-worker, but perhaps just a so-so actress. I used to not like her face much, but I come to like her beauty more and more when I watch this drama. Liu Xiu Mei is quite a lovable character too, I like her alot. And I want her to have more scenes with Maemi and the two bald men^^

My only problem is that she has zero chemistry with Takuya, so I just can't root her character much with Rensuke.

Iris Zephyr

Post by Iris Zephyr » May 21st, '10, 08:14

seirin wrote:I read somewhere they quoted her complimenting Kimura as cool and tall? Kimura isn't tall O_o Who is she kidding?
He isn't really (tall that is)... :D But he isn't that short either; average height... When the both of them are on flats, Kimura is actually a couple of inches (read=one/two inches) taller than Zhi-Ling. So he just barely makes it. :lol I kinda think that's what she meant when she actually said that.

Just watching the preview and reading all the comments gets me so excited about Ep03 :w000t: Can't wait for next Monday! :party:

stolenxkisses

Post by stolenxkisses » May 21st, '10, 09:15

kimutaku144 wrote:
Yes, I was wondering about it too. But I think this is a good interpretation.

Haven't been here for very long while catching up on the latest episode... I thought the start was rather slow, which made me lose a bit of interest, but it quickly picked up!

Kazami is not a simple character at all! At first you can explain away all his actions as loyalty towards his boss.
For example, sidling up to the reporter and feeding her with a question at the start of the episode, as a launchpad for Rensuke's speech -- but then there was that look Rensuke shot him, and the way he was furious when he stormed up to his office.

Then meeting Yuzuru in his stead, and throwing lines like, "I'm better at sex." -- maybe he was just entertaining Yuzu, though there were parts it seemed he was undermining Rensuke's authority, with the comparisons of their character.

Then the business arrangement that he made with the American boss -- Rensuke shot him a suspicious look, but it seemed like Kazami was just pre-empting what he would like. However, around that point it starts getting dangerous -- how come Kazami has so much power to speak for Rensuke, and make appointments in his stead?

But the final straw, when he arranges for Yuzu to see Rensuke's date with Xiumei -- that one can't be explained away at all. And his smile -- truly chilling.
I was hoping that Kazami's meaningful looks towards Maemi meant he truly liked her, but I like some of the interpretations on this thread -- that he's identified Rensuke's weakness and means to exploit it, coldly and measuredly.

Nomanymore

Post by Nomanymore » May 21st, '10, 09:42

stolenxkisses wrote:Kazami is not a simple character at all! At first you can explain away all his actions as loyalty towards his boss.
For example, sidling up to the reporter and feeding her with a question at the start of the episode, as a launchpad for Rensuke's speech -- but then there was that look Rensuke shot him, and the way he was furious when he stormed up to his office.

Then meeting Yuzuru in his stead, and throwing lines like, "I'm better at sex." -- maybe he was just entertaining Yuzu, though there were parts it seemed he was undermining Rensuke's authority, with the comparisons of their character.

Then the business arrangement that he made with the American boss -- Rensuke shot him a suspicious look, but it seemed like Kazami was just pre-empting what he would like. However, around that point it starts getting dangerous -- how come Kazami has so much power to speak for Rensuke, and make appointments in his stead?

But the final straw, when he arranges for Yuzu to see Rensuke's date with Xiumei -- that one can't be explained away at all. And his smile -- truly chilling.
I was hoping that Kazami's meaningful looks towards Maemi meant he truly liked her, but I like some of the interpretations on this thread -- that he's identified Rensuke's weakness and means to exploit it, coldly and measuredly.
I think Rensuke told him do all that. The glance just shows that Rensuke had planned it (to gain image in front of media, and Xiu Mei) The same goes to the American guy. Kazami investigated the guy, showed Rensuke the photos and the last came up with another plan. Rensuke doesn't care about anyone but his success.
But I do hope Kazami's feelings for Maemi is genuine.. well I wonder if he knew anything about their past?
Last edited by Nomanymore on May 21st, '10, 11:22, edited 1 time in total.

yanie
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by yanie » May 21st, '10, 10:08

Btw, is anyone not suspicious about Takenaka Naoto's character?? Haha, I mean he was Franz/Milch in Nodame, and he always get quite big roles in dramas. I do not believe he's casted in this drama just for the comic relief and with such little screentime.
He's definitely going to have a bigger role in the story later :D He calls Maemi, "Maemi-chan" and he said "ohisashiburi" so I think he knows her from long time ago. Maybe he even know Rensuke since he was in college :wink:

nnnc

Post by nnnc » May 21st, '10, 12:34

Nomanymore wrote:
I think Rensuke told him do all that. The glance just shows that Rensuke had planned it (to gain image in front of media, and Xiu Mei) The same goes to the American guy. Kazami investigated the guy, showed Rensuke the photos and the last came up with another plan. Rensuke doesn't care about anyone but his success.
But I do hope Kazami's feelings for Maemi is genuine.. well I wonder if he knew anything about their past?
I think the reporter scene was planned and Rensuke knew it because he had the speech prepared in his hand. However, Kazami arranged the meeting with that American guy himself. He asked for a quick talk with Rensuke in the office, showed him the pictures, and told Rensuke he had already arranged for the meeting with the guy without Rensuke saying anything. Rensuke just looked at the pictures and said thank you then he called Xiu Mei.

Remember Kazami told Yuzuki that he is different from Rensuke because Ren just use people and never look at them. Kazami is the type that observes and then provides what people wants to satisfy them. I think Kazami underestimated Rensuke here in this scene. He thought Rensuke is the guy that would do anything to achieve what he wants, including selling Xiu Mei to that American businessman. But Kazami is wrong here. Rensuke probably only agreed to bring Xiu Mei there to attract the guy but not to the extent that it happened. His frustration with the guy's behavior showed. And if he was cool with the idea of "serving" Xiu Mei to the guy, I don't think he would leave this important "meeting" to follow Xiu Mei.
Kazami may think he knows Rensuke well but I don't think he knows him as well as Maemi. And that goes back to answer yanie's question,
I think Maemi knew Rensuke was not attracted to Xiu Mei and she knew he only has his mind and his eyes for Regolith. She sensed that Xiu Mei like Rensuke and was excited for the date but she knew that Rensuke must have something planned for Xiu Mei but it's not a date. That's why she didn't ask because she already suspected it was only for Regolith's business. She thought Xiu Mei was mad because she just realized that Rensuke only use her for Regolith. But I don't think Maemi (and even Rensuke) knew what would happen at the restaurant with the American guy. That was arranged by Kazami, not Rensuke. Maemi knows Rensuke wouldn't sink that low while Kazami misread him.
About Takenaka Naoto's character, I also think he will have a big role in the drama.
I suspect he knows both Rensuke and Maemi back in their college day and probably knows Rensuke's past. Interesting that when Rensuke picked up Xiu Mei, Takenaka's character was not there. I believe they save the meeting between Rensuke and him for later episodes when we will learn more about Rensuke's past

bérangère

Post by bérangère » May 21st, '10, 13:19

nnnc wrote:
He thought Rensuke is the guy that would do anything to achieve what he wants, including selling Xiu Mei to that American businessman. But Kazami is wrong here. Rensuke probably only agreed to bring Xiu Mei there to attract the guy but not to the extent that it happened. His frustration with the guy's behavior showed.
[/spoiler]
So you think he was upset because of the man's behaviour ? But after having seen the pictures Kazami showed him, what did he expect ?
What if he was upset by Xiu Mei behaviour ? The fact that she resisted the (possibly future) customer meant that she was resisting him either.
What is strange is that he took the risk. He does not know her for long, but she had fought him a few times : he shall have known she would not throw herself happily at the neck of his customer. What seems strange to me is not the fact that he was upset, but the fact that he took the risk. Or is he so sure of himself that he thought that the girl would not resist ? He seems far too calculator and manipulative not to consider the risk of a failure, doesn't he ? Well, maybe I see him darker than he is.
(I want to be clear : even if I think he is that dark, I just like the character, really much. I may have a bias for manipulative characters...)
yanie wrote:
I was actually wondering, why didn't she ask Xiu Mei at all, "What happened?".
That's fun how we all have a different interpretation of her behaviour !
It did not shocked me at all. Of course she suspected Rensuke was up to no good. This is Rensuke and she knows him better than anybody else...
But I really think she hoped. She seems to be quite concerned about him, she told him she does not like the man he had become... I think she still has hope he can change (and become back the man he was when she met him ?). She hoped, that's why she did not warn Xiu Mei, and why she told herself the story about Cinderella and the Prince. Because she wants Rensuke to be "saved", even if it is by another woman (ok, maybe my point of view is far too much idealistic... I can't prevent myself from being excessive, sorry).
But even if she hoped and tried to convince herself it may be possible, the miracle did not happen. She waited because she also knew the chances for the miracle to happen would be really scarce, and that Xiu Mei may need support when she would come back.
She does not asked "What happened ?" because she does not need to know. She may have just thought "Yet another soul torn apart by Rensuke, let's be nice to her, she needs it". And Xiu Mei may not have wanted to tell. I mean, if she wants to say what happened, she still can, but since Maemi did not ask, she is not obliged to tell her, if she thinks it's too humiliating to tell people. That's really sensitive, in fact.
Am I being excessive again ?

isaki

Post by isaki » May 21st, '10, 16:16

Hi..I've been lurking for a while, feel like joining the discussion this time, yoroshiku.

I have no idea who Chi Ling s before this drama. Now I know why people bash her acting, she bored me to death. She's a very pretty girl but such bland acting (makes me so mad!) No charisma, no chemistry and her voice is annoying. With the right actress, I'd be rooting for her character but she ruined it for me. I wish they'd focus more on Shinohara's character. Now that girl can act. Stop wasting screentime on Xiu Mei, I want more Maemi.
Maemi is really the most lovable character in the drama, isn't she?
Yup she is. Even her staffs are adorable too :D

I can't wait for Ep 3..seems there's a cute interaction between Kazami and Maemi.
1. Rensuke was surprised when both of them put on the seat belt at the same time? connection?
Hmm I think Rensuke asked Xiu Mei whether she's hungry after all the shopping and Xiu Mei said no. But when they pulled the seat belt, her stomach growled. Hence the suprised face. So that's why they went to the Chinese restaurant later for food.

hanapyupyu

Post by hanapyupyu » May 21st, '10, 18:13

After watching the first 2 episodes, I don't feel any great chemistry between Takuya Kimura and Lin Chi Ling. She's pretty and striking because she's tall, fair skinned and lean, but way too tall for Kimutaku. And her acting doesn't quite hit the spot in the emotional scenes where she has to cry, but she shined in the last part of episode 1 where she had to be seductive and give the come-hither look to the male guests at the opening of the furniture store. Since when do furniture stores use sexy models as a marketing gimmick anyway? :roll

So I'm not really feeling this drama that much. The plot seems a bit convoluted for a romance drama and Kimutaku's acting seems phoned in. He's playing the same stock character that he's played in so many previous dramas - charismatic bastard with a heart of gold. It's a bit disappointing that he seems rather jaded in this role. What happened to his good looks? His lip color is ghastly. Too much cigarettes over the years, I reckon. :P
The characters I find most intriguing so far, are Maemi and Kazami. Shinohara Ryoko is so winsome, gotta love this woman! :wub: She's smart, confident, observant and independent. Maemi is like the better half of Rensuke. Shei is Rensuke's true equal and I see them as THE dynamic pair, not Rensuke and Xiu Mei.

I agree with the others that there's more to Kazami than meets the eye....He's sharp as a tack and totally has something up his sleeve. Kazami watches Rensuke's every move, like he's trying to figure him out, or solve a difficult puzzle. And he definitely is interested in Maemi, probably because he finds her a challenge too.

theteam

Post by theteam » May 21st, '10, 23:02

nnnc wrote:Oh SMAP! Subs has released the softsub for the 2nd episode.
what happened to their thread?

yanie
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by yanie » May 22nd, '10, 01:03

GALLERY
(from official website)

Episode 1

Episode 2

Details(title, director, etc) for the first 3 episodes:
Episode 1
Title: おまえが欲しい / Omae ga Hoshii / I Want You
Writers: Asano Taeko, Ikegami Jun'ya
Director: Nishitani Hiroshi
Kanto rating: 22.4%

Episode 2
Title: ありえないキス / Arienai Kisu / Unbelievable Kiss
Writer: Asano Taeko
Director: Hirano Shin
Kanto rating: 19.2%

Episode 3
Title: 復讐のプロポーズ / Fukushuu no Puropoozu / Revenge Proposal

I love Ep2 much better than Ep1. With the same director, I hope Ep3 would be as great as Ep2 :roll

A bit disappointed that all the titles revolves around Rensuke - Xiu Mei only :unsure:

Little hints of spoilers for Ep4:
As written in Rensuke's blog, he mentioned that Rensuke will have a dialogue abt "rain of happiness" in Ep4 and there will be a scene where Rensuke will look up at the moon (kyaaa~ just like what Maemi always did? XD). But according to the staff's blog, in Ep4, Rensuke is still very cold and kowai as ever.

In a rumor article, one of the crew said Kimura Takuya always seem very excited on the filming set, and when he received and scan over the latest episode's script, he even screamed, "Wuoooo~~~!!! So it'll turn out this way?? What will happen to me? Who will I end up with, then??!". (http://azashi.seesaa.net/article/150599017.html)

Waa, nani, nani, nani??? XD
Last edited by yanie on May 22nd, '10, 02:37, edited 1 time in total.

dramaddex

Post by dramaddex » May 22nd, '10, 02:22

yanie wrote:
Details(title, director, etc) for the first 3 episodes:
Episode 1
Title: おまえが欲しい / Omae ga Hoshii / I Want You
Writers: Asano Taeko, Ikegami Jun'ya
Director: Nishitani Hiroshi
Kanto rating: 22.4%

Episode 2
Title: ありえないキス / Arienai Kisu / Unbelievable Kiss
Kanto rating: 19.2%

Episode 3
Title: 復讐のプロポーズ / Fukushuu no Puropoozu / Revenge Proposal

I love Ep2 much better than Ep1. With the same director, I hope Ep3 would be as great as Ep2 :roll

A bit disappointed that all the titles revolves around Rensuke - Xiu Mei only :unsure:
hmm.. They have a different director for ep 1? that's interesting. adjunct?

Little hints of spoilers for Ep4:
As written in Rensuke's blog, he mentioned that Rensuke will have a dialogue abt "rain of happiness" in Ep4 and there will be a scene where Rensuke will look up at the moon (kyaaa~ just like what Maemi always did? XD). But according to the staff's blog, in Ep4, Rensuke is still very cold and kowai as ever.

In a rumor article, one of the crew said Kimura Takuya always seem very excited on the filming set, and when he received and scan over the latest episode's script, he even screamed, "Wuoooo~~~!!! No way!!! So it'll be like this?? What will happen to me? Who will I end up with, then??!". (http://azashi.seesaa.net/article/150599017.html)

Waa, nani, nani, nani??? XD
oh dear god, are you serious??!? i want rensuke to end up with SOMEONE/ ANYONE than no one. but lol how cute.. "what will happen to me?" XD.

totemokakkoii

Post by totemokakkoii » May 22nd, '10, 02:27

yanie wrote:GALLERY
(from official website)

Episode 2

haha... Kitagawa looks so cute in that screenshot..
anyway, it would be better off getting some other not-so-famous actress to do her role. i thought isn't she one of the rising star now, it is pretty sad for her to do such un-noticeable role like this....

yanie
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by yanie » May 22nd, '10, 02:37

dramaddex wrote:
oh dear god, are you serious??!? i want rensuke to end up with SOMEONE/ ANYONE than no one. but lol how cute.. "what will happen to me?" XD.
I'm starting to think Regolith will go bankrupt or Mastpole manage to buy the company to be it's subcon company. And then Rensuke will be jobless :P

Rather than love story, I find this drama more of a business-focus drama^^

0xDEADBEEF
Netherlands

Post by 0xDEADBEEF » May 22nd, '10, 02:56

totemokakkoii wrote:haha... Kitagawa looks so cute in that screenshot..
anyway, it would be better off getting some other not-so-famous actress to do her role. i thought isn't she one of the rising star now, it is pretty sad for her to do such un-noticeable role like this....
Sometimes it's better to be #5 in a big production than #1 in a small one. She may be a bit popular these days, but it's concentrated in a narrow band around her own age, so she's a nobody outside of that. They may be trying to fix that.

runpup

Post by runpup » May 22nd, '10, 04:27

0xDEADBEEF wrote:
totemokakkoii wrote:haha... Kitagawa looks so cute in that screenshot..
Sometimes it's better to be #5 in a big production than #1 in a small one. She may be a bit popular these days, but it's concentrated in a narrow band around her own age, so she's a nobody outside of that. They may be trying to fix that.
Always great when Keiko's biggest fan makes a post w/ some interesting insight...

hanapyupyu

Post by hanapyupyu » May 22nd, '10, 06:30

yanie wrote:
dramaddex wrote:
I'm starting to think Regolith will go bankrupt or Mastpole manage to buy the company to be it's subcon company. And then Rensuke will be jobless :P

That'll be quite refreshing if Rensuke ends up with NO ONE at the end of the day. lol. He's quite a huge manipulative ass and I don't find any likable or redeemable traits about him at all - as of now. It would be very fun to see how Rensuke copes with being jobless and not being able to call the shots anymore.....hahaa. When the tables are turned on him, maybe that's when Rensuke will discover his own 'humanity'.

As for the english title of the drama 'moon lovers', I wonder what it means? Maemi was gazing at the moon the night before the opening of Regolith when she was trying to come up with a new design and it seemed to have inspired her. Is she a moon lover?

yanie
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by yanie » May 22nd, '10, 07:16

0xDEADBEEF wrote:Sometimes it's better to be #5 in a big production than #1 in a small one. She may be a bit popular these days, but it's concentrated in a narrow band around her own age, so she's a nobody outside of that. They may be trying to fix that.
Hoo~ great insight!! :thumleft:

hanapyupyu wrote:
That'll be quite refreshing if Rensuke ends up with NO ONE at the end of the day. lol. He's quite a huge manipulative ass and I don't find any likable or redeemable traits about him at all - as of now. It would be very fun to see how Rensuke copes with being jobless and not being able to call the shots anymore.....hahaa. When the tables are turned on him, maybe that's when Rensuke will discover his own 'humanity'.
Yea, if that really happens, I guess I'd say, "Serves him right!!" :D

But my little RenMi shipper heart would wish for Maemi being the only woman who can "save" him :P
hanapyupyu wrote:As for the english title of the drama 'moon lovers', I wonder what it means?
Good question! I just crossed upon this Japanese blog yesterday. The blog owner/writer is a Japanese guy who has been watching this drama since Ep1. His many analysis about this drama are sugoi and quite long.

This is his analysis about the title:

『月の恋人』という題名について語ってみよう。日本語で「Aさんの恋人」と言う時には、Aさんが付き合ってる人(特に男性)を指すのが普通で、たまにAさんが好きな相手を指すこともあるだろう。でも、「Aさんを愛する人」という意味にはならないはずだ。つまりドラマのタイトルは、「月が付き合ってる人(or 男性)」と解釈するのがフツーで、「月を愛する人」という意味だとは考えにくい。
ところが英語のタイトルは「Moon Lovers」で、これだと「月を愛する人」という意味に取るのが一番自然だろう。その辺り、制作サイドの公式発言は知らないんだけど、わざと多義的に(色んな意味を含ませて)付けてるのかも知れない。

Now, let's talk about the title "Tsuki no Koibito". In Japanese, normally, when we say "A-san no Koibito" means "the person(mostly means 'man') who is dating A-san". Sometimes it can also mean "the person whom A-san have feelings for". But it definitely does not mean "the person who loves A-san". So, this drama's title means "the man who is dating the moon". I do not think it means "the man who loves the moon".
However, the English title is "Moon Lovers", which would normally mean "the people who loves the moon". Now, I do not know which meaning it is suppose to be, but perhaps the people who thought of the title meant it to have many meanings.

source: http://tenmei.cocolog-nifty.com/matcha/ ... -4aeb.html

He also has analysis about Maemi = sun, Rensuke = earth and Xiu Mei = moon :roll
Last edited by yanie on May 22nd, '10, 08:00, edited 1 time in total.

hanapyupyu

Post by hanapyupyu » May 22nd, '10, 07:55

yanie wrote: Good question! I just crossed upon this Japanese blog yesterday. He is a Japanese guy who has been watching this drama since Ep1. His many analysis about this drama are sugoi and quite long.

This is his analysis about the title:

『月の恋人』という題名について語ってみよう。日本語で「Aさんの恋人」と言う時には、Aさんが付き合ってる人(特に男性)を指すのが普通で、たまにAさんが好きな相手を指すこともあるだろう。でも、「Aさんを愛する人」という意味にはならないはずだ。つまりドラマのタイトルは、「月が付き合ってる人(or 男性)」と解釈するのがフツーで、「月を愛する人」という意味だとは考えにくい。
ところが英語のタイトルは「Moon Lovers」で、これだと「月を愛する人」という意味に取るのが一番自然だろう。その辺り、制作サイドの公式発言は知らないんだけど、わざと多義的に(色んな意味を含ませて)付けてるのかも知れない。

Now, let's talk about the title "Tsuki no Koibito". In Japanese, normally, when we say "A-san no Koibito" means "the person(mostly means 'man') who is dating A-san". Sometimes it can also mean "the person whom A-san have feelings for". But it definitely does not mean "the person who loves A-san". So, this drama's title means "the man who is dating the moon". I do not think it means "the man who loves the moon".
However, the English title is "Moon Lovers", which would normally mean "the people who loves the moon". Now, I do not know which meaning it is suppose to be, but perhaps the people who thought of the title meant it to have many meanings.

source: http://tenmei.cocolog-nifty.com/matcha/ ... -4aeb.html

He also has analysis about Maemi = sun, Rensuke = earth and Xiu Mei = moon :roll
Wah...sugoi! You always come up with interesting info, yanie. :thumleft:

So "the man dating the moon isn't necessarily in love with the moon"? LOL...the head spins. What in the world does that mean???

Say if the moon represents beauty, then perhaps moon lovers are people who value beauty and admire the aesthetic, magical quality of the moon. Perhaps Maemi and Rensuke are moon lovers as they are both after that unreachable ideal of perfection? I'm just rambling now. :D

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » May 22nd, '10, 08:12

Hmm, I don't want to interrupt, but the Moon is a symbol of everything that is fickle, unstable. You know, Moon wanes and grows in regular time. So Moon Lovers may mean "fickle lovers".

Jaja

Post by Jaja » May 22nd, '10, 10:03

I just watched the first episode and I really really really like the story. The whole cast are very impressive in their respective roles and performances and looking forward for the succeeding episodes.

stolenxkisses

Post by stolenxkisses » May 22nd, '10, 17:11

Ethlenn wrote:Hmm, I don't want to interrupt, but the Moon is a symbol of everything that is fickle, unstable. You know, Moon wanes and grows in regular time. So Moon Lovers may mean "fickle lovers".
I'm loving all these interpretations of the title. yanie, what an interesting blog you've stumbled across! Would you be translating the interpretations of Maemi = sun etc? It would be really interesting to read.

I'm extremely curious about all the references here -- the purity of water and the amenbos, the staring at the moon. I hope the next episode gives us a bit more of the history between Maemi and Rensuke, because I think some of the references may become clearer with that.

Nomanymore

Post by Nomanymore » May 22nd, '10, 17:32

TBH I'd not be surprised if in the end those things don't really have any meaning ^^; viewers try to make up all sort of theories about the story or what will happen, then what really turns out often doesn't come up with their expectation lol It just happens alot with jdrama nowadays (compared to ones of old time) So I don't dig in it too much, this drama is not in my top list this season (which only consists of 2 series lol) anyway.

annie_chan

Post by annie_chan » May 22nd, '10, 18:30

Xiu Mei = sun. The sun attracts the earth because of its significant importance and usefulness. You need the sun for everything to grow (the business).

Maemi = Moon. Moon can be gentle and bring light to darkness at night (despite the fact that scientically, it's still the sun's power).You may not think the moon is as important as the sun as first but once it disappears, you have nothing to guide you in darkness. ==> Maemi might leave Rensuke for him to recognise her importance and essential in his life.

and Yuzuki = star :P if it's there it's beautiful! If not, it wont make any difference :P

Peggy

Post by Peggy » May 22nd, '10, 18:55

Re Sun and Moon...

You cannot just live with Sun (?Xui Mei) It will burn you up and wear you out.

You need the Moon (?Meimi) Relief after the heat, which you always need and come back to. The moon is refreshing even when it is full and bright. Gives you time to think how you feel and what is important about the past day. Feel lost when I can't see the moon. Don't mind at all if the sun is covered by clouds.

Peggy

Issy

Post by Issy » May 22nd, '10, 19:13

Peggy wrote:Re Sun and Moon...

You cannot just live with Sun (?Xui Mei) It will burn you up and wear you out.

You need the Moon (?Meimi) Relief after the heat, which you always need and come back to. The moon is refreshing even when it is full and bright. Gives you time to think how you feel and what is important about the past day. Feel lost when I can't see the moon. Don't mind at all if the sun is covered by clouds.

Peggy
agree :thumright:
at the sametime wondering if Xui Mei is as important as the sun to rensuke's business. i thought Meimi was the designer of his company. the ones he used Xui Mei to do that special dance. :scratch:

dramaddex

Post by dramaddex » May 22nd, '10, 19:29

yanie wrote:
dramaddex wrote:

oh no! i hope that won't happen. IT would be sad if rensuke's business goes bankrupt. :( that's worse than having no one.. hahaha in my opinion. I like to see him stay as the jerky rich fellow.
hahaha nice interpretations of the moon, sun, earth, and star? lol

I like the idea of maemi as the sun, rensuke as the earth, and shuumei as the moon.

Sun= knowledge
Maemi knows rensuke's motives and she's very observant.

Earth= ( i dont know..umm..flaw, human?, unpredictable?)
Rensuke contains flaws and he's not perfect. there's something that he's missing in his life. ;)

Moon = based on the title the "moon lovers" and the information provided by yanie
So i'm guessing, both maemi and rensuke "like" shuumei and that their lives changed because of shuumei's appearance.

haha i'll think more about this.. and input my thoughts later..

calimerina

Post by calimerina » May 22nd, '10, 19:47

I think the only purpose of the title is to advertise the getsu-ku getsu-koi. Many people already call it Tsuki-Koi and tsuki and getsu are the same thing in japanese. No need to go too far for the meaning of the "moon" thing... it only means "monday" because it was intended to be broadcasted on Mondays at 9 PM (the most important timeslot for dorama and especially for romance dorama).
They spent a lot of money for this dorama but it's an investment for the future. Nowadays that timeslot doesn't get the highest ratings as before and romance dorama are underrated. Police and medical dorama are the most viewed, and shows broadcasted... let's say, on Wednesdays or on channels other than Fuji TV get the highest ratings. They are trying to revive for this season and future seasons as well the idea "Monday = Romance", "Monday on TV you must see Romance dorama", then "Monday on Fuji TV at PM is a must-see". So the "moon" and the "koi (bito)" in the title.

kybiel

Post by kybiel » May 23rd, '10, 02:50

@Yanie: thank you for the lyric :wub:
About the actor who played in Nodame, i also think that he will be able to be a key for us to know more about RenMi. In ep3 preview, Rensuke talked with him so i do believe that his role is not like a cameo :roll. Actually it's coz i really want to see more of him, he's really funny :lol

@Calimerina:
calimerina wrote:I think the only purpose of the title is to advertise the getsu-ku getsu-koi. Many people already call it Tsuki-Koi and tsuki and getsu are the same thing in japanese. No need to go too far for the meaning of the "moon" thing... it only means "monday" because it was intended to be broadcasted on Mondays at 9 PM (the most important timeslot for dorama and especially for romance dorama).
They spent a lot of money for this dorama but it's an investment for the future. Nowadays that timeslot doesn't get the highest ratings as before and romance dorama are underrated. Police and medical dorama are the most viewed, and shows broadcasted... let's say, on Wednesdays or on channels other than Fuji TV get the highest ratings. They are trying to revive for this season and future seasons as well the idea "Monday = Romance", "Monday on TV you must see Romance dorama", then "Monday on Fuji TV at PM is a must-see". So the "moon" and the "koi (bito)" in the title.
I like your idea :lol
So simple and down-to-earth XD

But i'd love it to have many meaning too. Coz only what you said will make this drama somewhat boring and i don't want that, ahaha :D

About the theory Maemi = sun, Rensuke = earth, XiuMei = moon. I like it a lot :lol though i want Maemi = moon more than XiuMei.

pedang_patah

Post by pedang_patah » May 23rd, '10, 14:51

There are 3 actors/actresses that I don't like in this dorama : KimuTaku, Matsuda Shota & Lin Chiling. Any drama with them in it, I won't watch but I watch this drama because of Shinohara Ryoko. I missed her.

However I have to admit that I like the fact that Kazami has a thing for Maemi ;) I kinda like young man likes older woman type of story. Although I hope Rensuke ends up with Maemi in the end :D

yanie
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by yanie » May 24th, '10, 03:44

Just read Rensuke's blog, hints for later eps??^^
He went to a tempura restaurant alone with Maemi! Yay~ And he said he had to eat 11 ebi-tempura and 10 shiitake-tempura for the filming! lol. Is this some kind of eating contest with Maemi? :lol Doesn't sound romantic at all (yappari?), but I'm just happy for a Rensuke-Maemi alone scene aside from the office as the location^^ Probably for a college flashback? :roll

AndLoveYelledNO

Post by AndLoveYelledNO » May 24th, '10, 07:05

Maybe its because I don't know any of the actresses so i'm not going into this rooting for anyone in particular but....I love Xiu Mei! She's actually my favorite character. I'm mainly watching for the chemistry between her and Rensuke so whatever happens, I hope the show continues to give me some of that!

trasuachieumua

Post by trasuachieumua » May 24th, '10, 17:16

hi everyone hehee
I'm watching this drama. It's not one of my best - best dramas but I like it very much.

But I wonder why tonight everybody is silent :pale:
Are there some problem :-( ?
I feel worry because no one say anything about ep 3 huhu :cry:

yanie: thanks for all your posts, I translated some of them into Vietnamese (with full credit :salut: )
I like your posts very much :wub:

(everybody, please forgive my bad English T.T)
Last edited by trasuachieumua on May 25th, '10, 01:19, edited 2 times in total.

Love Angel

Post by Love Angel » May 24th, '10, 17:48

yeah no one talked about today's episode..it aired tonight right?

yanie
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by yanie » May 24th, '10, 22:08

Most probably bcoz nothing much happened in Ep3 :P It felt like a filler episode.

But I'm starting to love KazaEmi!!^o^
I like their scene at the beach, playful and flirty^^ And kyaaaa.... next week!!! Finally Maemi will get some romantic scene... ureshiiii~~~ Although it is with Kazami, but I'm getting more and more irritated by Rensuke, so that's fine!!^o^

Iris Zephyr

Post by Iris Zephyr » May 24th, '10, 23:45

:-) I think it was because there was not much action, but a lot of plot development. With dodgy Keyhole streaming and no subtitles, :P this is what I got:
1. We learn more about Xiu Mei and her father in Japan. We also learn more about Xiu Mei's intentions with Rensuke, and her feelings towards him and work.
2.Rensuke's past self is revealed.
3. Rensuke "finds out" about Maemi's feelings for him through Xiu Mei's diary.
4. Kazami's confession to Maemi went quite off track :lol
5. We also learn more about Yuzuki and Rensuke's relationship.
6. The guy from episode 1 becomes trouble, and the President of Mastpole is plotting against Rensuke.
7. Yuzuki finds out, and the question is, how will she react?
8. Special mention to Kazami being Rensuke's lackey and still being dodgy all in one package. :lol
I stand to be corrected though. :D

dramaddex

Post by dramaddex » May 25th, '10, 03:45

Iris Zephyr wrote::-) I think it was because there was not much action, but a lot of plot development. With dodgy Keyhole streaming and no subtitles, :P this is what I got:
1. We learn more about Xiu Mei and her father in Japan. We also learn more about Xiu Mei's intentions with Rensuke, and her feelings towards him and work.
2.Rensuke's past self is revealed.
3. Rensuke "finds out" about Maemi's feelings for him through Xiu Mei's diary.
4. Kazami's confession to Maemi went quite off track :lol
5. We also learn more about Yuzuki and Rensuke's relationship.
6. The guy from episode 1 becomes trouble, and the President of Mastpole is plotting against Rensuke.
7. Yuzuki finds out, and the question is, how will she react?
8. Special mention to Kazami being Rensuke's lackey and still being dodgy all in one package. :lol
I stand to be corrected though. :D

aww.. haha i was waiting for people to give me some updates on ep 3, but i guess not.. haha well except yours Iris Zephyr. The plot development actually sound very interesting, but i'm planning on watching ep 3 maybe on friday... so much to do this week.. :/ busy busy week. but..
nosy rensuke. why is he reading shuumei's diary? is he trying to find out her motives? haha and i do wonder how kazami's confession had gone.. hahaha

Nomanymore

Post by Nomanymore » May 25th, '10, 12:01

Episode 3 got 15.6% it dropped quiet alot.
well it was like a filler ep. though I like MaemixKazami more & more lol Next ep looks promising ^^

isaki

Post by isaki » May 25th, '10, 12:50

Wow drop to 15.6%? That's why they should focus more on other actors..less Xiu Mei :lol

I was rooting for RensukexMaemi when the show first started, still rooting for them though but I don't mind KazamixMaemi either lol

yanie
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by yanie » May 25th, '10, 13:14

Yikes!! 15.6%??? XD Those anti-KimuTakus must be having a fest in 2ch now :D

Haha, yeah, I really don't mind KazaEmi too now, as long as Maemi is happy and esp. if Rensuke keep being a jerk XD

From Ep4 preview:
Rensuke seem so angry to Maemi and maybe that's why Maemi cried in front of Kazami. And aww... what Kazami said to her... "You don't always have to smile," *v* Kyaaa~~ romantic Shota reminds me of Ojiro of Love Shuffle!

Btw, is it just me, or does it seem like Ep4 will be a Maemi-centric episode? It showed very, very little Xiumei unlike the previous eps' previews.

And Maemi's "Rensuke!!! Daaaaisuki dakara!" sounded so adorable :wub:

kybiel

Post by kybiel » May 25th, '10, 14:43

yanie wrote:Yikes!! 15.6%??? XD Those anti-KimuTakus must be having a fest in 2ch now :D

Haha, yeah, I really don't mind KazaEmi too now, as long as Maemi is happy and esp. if Rensuke keep being a jerk XD

From Ep4 preview:
Rensuke seem so angry to Maemi and maybe that's why Maemi cried in front of Kazami. And aww... what Kazami said to her... "You don't always have to smile," *v* Kyaaa~~ romantic Shota reminds me of Ojiro of Love Shuffle!

Btw, is it just me, or does it seem like Ep4 will be a Maemi-centric episode? It showed very, very little Xiumei unlike the previous eps' previews.

And Maemi's "Rensuke!!! Daaaaisuki dakara!" sounded so adorable :wub:
15,6% ? :whistling:
For me, it's still good :D
Good drama is a good drama afterall, regardless any low or high ratings :lol

Awww, i'd want to see ep3 XD. Still downloading chinese version now. It's funny that chinese version always comes out faster (with 1024x576 resolution) XD
Your spoiler made me remember about those pictures taken from some magazines :

http://img39.imageshack.us/i/105yn.jpg/
http://img443.imageshack.us/i/25586527.jpg/
http://img291.imageshack.us/i/119tki.jpg/
http://img291.imageshack.us/i/119tki.jpg/

If i'm not wrong, in the last pic, its say that Maemi will be the keyman ? XD
So they will really focus on her in the later eps ? :wub:
I really want to know what was written but my Japanese's vocab is not enough ;__;

Although this is Kimura Takuya's drama, but i found it's hard to find Tsuki's scans from magazines :unsure:

yanie
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by yanie » May 25th, '10, 15:10

Waaaiii~~~ thank u so much!!!! :cheers: Pls share if u have more!^o^

Q: What does Tsuki no Koibito mean?
Goto(producer): Tsuki(the moon) is something that anyone can see with eyes. Although it feels like you can reach it when you stretch your hand, you will never reach it. It's like, almost come true, but never come true. It actually depict a bitter romance.

Q: What would be the ending of this drama like?
Goto: The story is written in the way so the audience won't know the romance ending until the very last of the last. Rensuke's true feelings won't be revealed until the very last.

oh no! I have a feeling it's gonna be a stupid ending then, if Rensuke would choose the woman she loves out of the blue without a single hint of feelings/expressions in the previous eps :-(
The key of the love pentagon is Maemi. How the love pentagon ends, depends on Maemi's action/decision.
Maemi's true feelings for Rensuke will be revealed starting Ep3 and Ep4. It says, we shld pay attention to Rensuke when he sees this :roll

Yay, Maemi is the key! I don't care whether it's Rensuke or Kazami she'd end up with, just make her the leading role already!!!

Nomanymore

Post by Nomanymore » May 25th, '10, 15:26

hmm personally I don't think it's a good idea. Maybe they want to create the tension to attract viewers, but only in the last moment?ep? O_o as I said before, it'd be soo weird if Rensuke has a sudden 'change' of heart, it would have been better if they showed it through out the series, till the end (like in Long Vacation ^^) Right now I can only see Maemi's, Kazami(?)'s feelings, Yuzuki too but I don't think she has a chance. Either way I still think Rensuke is a pretty weak character, not because he's a jerk (I can like bad guys) but Rensuke just has no dept. eh

isaki

Post by isaki » May 25th, '10, 16:01

:cheers: thanks yanie for the translation, interesting read!!

Is there possibility that Rensuke could be secretly in love with Kazami? That would be unexpected ending too :lol
just make her (Maemi) the leading role already!!!
Hear, hear! I'm just about to dl ep 3, can't wait to see the things you highlighted about Kazami/Maemi.

lvtk

Post by lvtk » May 25th, '10, 17:58

Wow!!..I surprised that the rating is dropping so fast from 22.4% to 15.6% in only 3 episodes.. Fuji TV will be very disappointed with the rating comparing to cost spending in this drama. Is Kimura's charming not working any more or going to be faded that so soon? I wonder if it is because of his age, or anti-KimuTakus, or Rensuke's character, or Kimura's acting, or the story plot, or something else?

Personally, I still enjoy this drama comparing to several other dramas that I have a chance to watch on-line. Also, although there are many complains about Kimura's weak performance in this drama, I still think that his acting is way better than several other leading actors in other dramas. Am I bias?

I don't expect his loving, innocent charming character like in his previous dramas, so I don't feel disappointed his bad character in this drama. I just think that many young executives in the real world behave just like Rensuke - do everything to get "it" done without caring or looking to other people's eyes. I see ego, ignorance, and ambitiousness in Rensuke through Kimura's eyes and body language. I am looking forward seeing what will be happened to Rensuke at the end and How?

BTW, it's only my personal opinion though.

kel7

Post by kel7 » May 25th, '10, 18:20

I feel we should get to know who he likes in the middle of the show. If not, it could be bad for sudden change.

But episode 3 is going well and i hope more progress on all actress. Episode 4 is coming to climax. Last part on episode 3 is so touching.. Aww.

Iris Zephyr

Post by Iris Zephyr » May 25th, '10, 23:41

lvtk wrote:Wow!!..I surprised that the rating is dropping so fast from 22.4% to 15.6% in only 3 episodes.. Fuji TV will be very disappointed with the rating comparing to cost spending in this drama. Is Kimura's charming not working any more or going to be faded that so soon? I wonder if it is because of his age, or anti-KimuTakus, or Rensuke's character, or Kimura's acting, or the story plot, or something else?

Personally, I still enjoy this drama comparing to several other dramas that I have a chance to watch on-line. Also, although there are many complains about Kimura's weak performance in this drama, I still think that his acting is way better than several other leading actors in other dramas. Am I bias?
If so, you're not the only one. :P Personally, I'm really enjoying his performance as Hazuki Rensuke. It's been a while since he played such a character.

As for the ratings, I think it might be different factors all in one. Like you said, it could be because of Kimura Takuya (his age, his charm fading, anti-Kimutaku etc.) Or it might be the badness of Hazuki Rensuke. "Sora Kara" (which was his last performance as such a dark character) also didn't score very high ratings (for a drama of its time) and "Gift" (the drama which he starred in with Shinohara Ryoko) also explored a radically different concept (it is such a cult drama :lol Totally love it! :wub: ) and suffered ratings-wise.

As mentioned before, there's also the "leading lady" issue (I love all three of them though, so this is pretty heartbreaking :-( ) and the just the overall drama trend. I mean, a romance-focused drama in a time when the popular trend is medical/mystery/manga? That is a huge risk to take.

Or maybe, its just following the natural declining trend of dramas these days. :glare:
I don't expect his loving, innocent charming character like in his previous dramas, so I don't feel disappointed his bad character in this drama. I just think that many young executives in the real world behave just like Rensuke - do everything to get "it" done without caring or looking to other people's eyes. I see ego, ignorance, and ambitiousness in Rensuke through Kimura's eyes and body language. I am looking forward seeing what will be happened to Rensuke at the end and How?
:thumright: My anticipation keeps building with each episode. Ep03 offered a lot of development in terms of plot and character relationships that all look like they could trigger a very sharp turning point in the drama. I can't wait for Ep04! :D
kybiel wrote: 15.6% ?
For me, it's still good
Good drama is a good drama afterall, regardless any low or high ratings

:thumleft:
Kaza/Emi were just adorable~ The ride on the motorcycle and scene on the beach were just :heart: And, how cute can Yuzuki be, trying to hide behind Rensuke and using him as a shield when she was being forced to take balloons. XD And Takenaka Naoto's character (Sorry, but I really don't know his name :P ). He is just good~

BTW, this is personal opinion, so I mean no offense to anyone. :-)

yanie
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by yanie » May 26th, '10, 00:24

KazaEmi :wub:
(Ep4 spoiler pics)

GetsuKoi Chapter III: Regolith in Love
http://yanie02.livejournal.com/102546.html
(60+ snapshots & a few transcripts)

yanie
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by yanie » May 26th, '10, 06:48

Episode 4 SYNOPSIS
(from official web)
Hazuki Rensuke and Sai Kazami announced the new product development plan, "Regolith in Love", to Regolith employees. To execute this plan, they have to change their long-time customers for a thorough cost reduction. Although some voiced out their opinions, Rensuke told them they can't do business with their feelings being moved all the time.

But the new plan got held back at an unexpected time. Liu Xiu Mei, the image character didn't come to the poster photoshoot. As Rensuke heard about the situation from Ninomiya Maemi, he said she should get a substitute if Xiu Mei didn't come.

Mineoka Yasuyuki (Kabira Jay), one of Regolith employee submitted a resignation letter to Rensuke. Mineoka, who didn't exchange duty of confidentiality contract with Rensuke, has been in contacts with Mastpole president, Oonuki Shogen. As Yuzuki found that out, she was going to tell Rensuke about this, but she was ignored. In her anger, Yuzuki told her father that she want to be Mastpole's model.

Shogen is secretly planning to steal Regolith's plan.

Maemi is going to persuade Xiu Mei who has not been going to work.

And, Rensuke...
According to Japanese WIKI page, last Monday night, on 9 PM slot, TV Asahi broadcasted Soccer Kirin Challenge Cup: Japan VS Korea and that it might affected the rating for Ep3.

kimutaku144

Post by kimutaku144 » May 26th, '10, 08:42

the reason I don't like HK/Chinese/Taiwanese drama is because acting like Lin Chiling :p sorry I'm biased.

I like Maemi interaction with Kazemi, so cute. Also the scenes when Maemi reading Xiu Mei's exercise book is really effective. Look forward for ep 4, I really hope Rensuke won't end up with Xiu Mei and Maemi end up with Kazemi, although won't likely to happen ;)

yanie
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by yanie » May 26th, '10, 09:03

kimutaku144 wrote:the reason I don't like HK/Chinese/Taiwanese drama is because acting like Lin Chiling :p sorry I'm biased.
I agree Taiwan don't have much talented actress(not to mention the terrible drama productions), but at least Ady An Yixuan is still a decent talented actress and have much experience. I wished they cast her instead rather than an unexperienced model :( Or maybe they should cast a Mainland actress instead, coz I think there are more talented Mainland actors and actresses, than Taiwan.

But I guess they don't have the budget to cast an actress with famous acting reputation.
kimutaku144 wrote:Also the scenes when Maemi reading Xiu Mei's exercise book is really effective.
How is it effective? :scratch:

mowgwie

Actress playing Maemi

Post by mowgwie » May 26th, '10, 09:34

I've seen the actress playing Maemi in several dramas, and I have never liked her at all until this one. Maybe this is just a good part for her, or maybe she's actually getting better.