[Discussion] Tumbling

Discuss Japanese drama series here.
hazelkenro
Location: Mocomichi Hayami,Teppei Koike and Wentz Eiji Paradise

[Discussion] Tumbling

Post by hazelkenro » Feb 17th, '10, 13:40

Yusuke Yamamoto stars in rhythmic gymnastics drama
Wed, February 17, 2010 (2:42am EST)
This spring, TBS will explore the world of men's rhythmic gymnastics with a new drama series titled "Tumbling." The show will feature a cast of popular young actors, led by Yusuke Yamamoto (22) in his first lead role in a series.

Yamamoto plays a high school delinquent who has a weakness for women. When an attractive transfer student (Azusa Okamoto) joins the women's rhythmic gymnastics team, he responds by joining the men's team and soon discovers a passion for the sport. Since last fall, Yamamoto has been undergoing special gymnastics training for the role.

Although men's rhythmic gymnastics originated in Japan, the sport is still dominated by women. It is estimated that there are only about a thousand men involved in the sport competitively.

credits: http://www.tokyograph.com/news/id-5812

source: http://www.sanspo.com/geino/news/100217 ... 014-n1.htm
The supporting cast of "Tumbling" includes Koji Seto, Shohei Miura, Shunsuke Daito, Takahiro Nishijima, Satoshi Tomiura, Tomo Yanagishita, Kento Kaku, Soran Tamoto, Rei Okamoto, Jiro Sato, Ryoko Kuninaka, and Nene Otsuka.

TBS plans to broadcast the series on Sunday nights at 7:56pm, starting in April.

official site: http://www.tbs.co.jp/tumbling/
dramawiki: http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Tumbling
Attachments
gnj1002170508014-p1.jpg
gnj1002170508014-p1.jpg (10.99 KiB) Viewed 6232 times
Last edited by hazelkenro on Mar 24th, '10, 03:23, edited 3 times in total.

Kagimoto Y.y

Post by Kagimoto Y.y » Feb 17th, '10, 14:50

look forward for this dorama!!!
A lot of Ikemen*0*
Especially Hiroki (Lead) ><~

AnonKuro

Post by AnonKuro » Feb 18th, '10, 01:55

will watch for the ikemen :wub:

lullabye

[Discussion]Tumbling

Post by lullabye » Apr 18th, '10, 20:47

From the Dramawiki:

Azuma Wataru, a third-year student at Karasumori High School, is a devil who strikes fear in the hearts of people. One day, Azuma is told by his form teacher that he has to participate in a club activity in order to make up for the lack of second-year students. The short-tempered Azuma cannot last long in whatever he does. At that moment, he learns that Satonaka Mari, the beautiful transfer student in his class, has joined the female rhythmic sports gymnastics club. He joins the male rhythmic sports gymnastics club, a club activity with very few people under the captain, Takenaka Yuta. They are ridiculed by the coach of the female rhythmic sports gymnastics club, and others, and are also hardly allowed to use the gym. However, when a sixth boy joins the club, Yuta decides to take part in a team competition with his long-sought six members …

Yamamoto Yusuke as Azuma Wataru
Seto Koji as Takenaka Yuta
Miura Shohei as Tsukimori Ryosuke
Daito Shunsuke as Kiyama Ryuichiro
Nishijima Takahiro as Hino Tetsuya
Tomiura Satoshi as Tsuchiya Satoshi
Yanagishita Tomo as Mizusawa Taku
Kaku Kento as Nippori Keiji
Tamoto Soran as Kaneko Atsushi

I didn't see a topic for Tumbling yet and never opened a discussion topic before. Hope I'm doing it OK.

I watched the live stream Saturday. Anyone else who isn't waiting for subs? I really enjoyed the premier, especially Seto Koji's acting.

LaLaLaDRAMA

Post by LaLaLaDRAMA » Apr 18th, '10, 20:58

Thank you for reminding me! I was going to watch it, but forgot when it was going to play. Anyways, there are lots of guys I recognize from other dramas, so I am excited for this.

Jayme8me

Waiting for Subbs

Post by Jayme8me » Apr 18th, '10, 21:23

I'm really looking foreword to watching this drama^_^ The two main actors are some of my favorites XD

lullabye

Post by lullabye » Apr 18th, '10, 21:41

There are some streams out at places which Shall Not Be Named here, but I don't know any dls yet. But that does mean that the raw is out there somewhere. You are going to love it. It's a lot more dramatic and less comedic than I had expected.

Pantheria

Post by Pantheria » Apr 19th, '10, 04:31

I sort of glanced at this one & thought it's probably not my thing but after reading your post it actually makes me want to check this one out. :)

lullabye

Post by lullabye » Apr 19th, '10, 04:59

You definitely have to watch!

I had thought Tumbling was just going to be silly fun. But it is actually fairly serious and emotional.

Pantheria

Post by Pantheria » Apr 19th, '10, 05:06

He he you've convinced me, as soon as it's available subbed I'll check it out. It's sometimes hard to tell whether I'll like a certain JDrama just from reading the synopsis, a lot of my faves are ones I would have never watched unless I'd just nabbed it for the sake of something to watch LOL. I would have never thought Love Shuffle or Last Friends would have been in my top 5 but they are. So it's always a good thing. Thanks. :)

Romance

Post by Romance » Apr 21st, '10, 18:30

Just watched the first episode and it was really good! I hope someone will sub it so everyone will be able to understand and enjoy it. It reminded me of waterboys!

well please watch it it was great!

ChianaKyoshiro

Post by ChianaKyoshiro » Apr 22nd, '10, 00:56

First episode is out! Its really good. :wub:

My question though is; Does anyone know if any subbing teams are planning to sub this? Is it listed anywhere?

Because I couldn't find it on any of the upcoming/current project lists I've searched. If anyone knows I'd really appreciate it. Thank you.
I hope someone does because it looks to be a brilliant show. :mrgreen:
+Yamamoto Yusuke is a fantastic actor. :D

mowgwie

1st episode

Post by mowgwie » Apr 22nd, '10, 02:23

I just watched the first episode (raw) even though I don't speak Japanese, I couldn't wait for this to get subbed, but I really hope someone is going to sub it, because it looks like it has the potential to be really good.

The story line is a lot like Water Boys, and I imagine it will play out in much the same way, but the cast is good and is worth watching even if it is somewhat derivative of earlier dramas.

lullabye

Post by lullabye » Apr 22nd, '10, 04:28

Giri Giri, I think, is going to sub this one. They had tentatively claimed it back in February.

Usako18

Post by Usako18 » Apr 22nd, '10, 05:31

to me this series is nothing but Slam Dunk with gymnastics haha but it is interesting to watch atleast

Romance

Post by Romance » Apr 22nd, '10, 08:24

lullabye wrote:Giri Giri, I think, is going to sub this one. They had tentatively claimed it back in February.
Great! And ah, I just tell you all again - watch this drama! :D

lullabye

Post by lullabye » Apr 24th, '10, 02:53

Just a few more hours until episode 2.
I'm actually kind of nervous about Yuta's reaction to having all his dreams crushed. It looks like it will be a tense episode.

lullabye

Post by lullabye » Apr 24th, '10, 13:03

Episode 2--wow!

I love how Wataru and Yuta are both written as passionate young men, but in very different ways.

The acting, direction, and production values are excellent. TBS has invested a lot in this series and it shows.
Last edited by lullabye on Apr 24th, '10, 18:00, edited 1 time in total.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Apr 24th, '10, 13:46

Quick question, are those on the poster boys or girls??
Mehehe...

Romance

Post by Romance » Apr 24th, '10, 13:47

lullabye wrote:Episode 2--wow!

I love how Wataru and Yuta are both written as passionate young men, but in very different ways.

The acting, direction, and production values are excellent. TBS has invested a lot in this series and it shows. [/spoiler]
I agree! Cant wait for ep 2!
Anyone know if the ratings went up for the second episode?

Kagimoto Y.y

Post by Kagimoto Y.y » Apr 24th, '10, 14:35

I keep searching everwhere but I can't find the Tumbling navi(SP preview)

Did Someone know where I can Download it?
It also have in youtube but already blocked...

lullabye

Post by lullabye » Apr 24th, '10, 18:04

Kagimoto Y.y wrote:I keep searching everwhere but I can't find the Tumbling navi(SP preview)

Did Someone know where I can Download it?
It also have in youtube but already blocked...
<strike>There is a torrent. </strike> Never mind. Didn't see you were just looking for the preview.

Romance

Post by Romance » Apr 26th, '10, 14:36

Ep 2 was indeed really great! What a feel good drama! I LOVE TUMBLING! :cheers:
Really hoping for subs!

jossah

Post by jossah » Apr 26th, '10, 16:12

Can't wait to see this. I have a feeling it'll be Waterboys-meet-HanaKimi. Nice.

Sadly it won't be aired in the Philippines and our local cable operator only carries NHK channel. i will try to find online treaming sites to watch it. Anyone knows of a good site? Thanks! :D

lullabye

Post by lullabye » Apr 27th, '10, 04:16

Episode 2 was so good! Ratings for all the dramas went down about the same number of points, for reasons unknown. Tumbling deserves better ratings, but I expect the ratings system doesn't account for recording and playing in Japan any better than it does anywhere else.

I think, of everything that happened in the episode, I most liked the boys showing up at Wataru's mom's restaurant and just before the end when they strong-arm AKIRA's character into being the team's advisor whether he wants to or not. Oh, and the scene just before the trouble breaks out, where Wataru finds Yuta down by the shoreline, staring out to sea. And, of course, the scene just after that. Oh, heck, it was just a good episode. I liked it all. (':clap:')

Romance

Post by Romance » May 3rd, '10, 23:13

Just watched ep 3 and another great ep!
Really sad to see that this one isnt getting any attention here on d-addicts :-(

hazelkenro
Location: Mocomichi Hayami,Teppei Koike and Wentz Eiji Paradise

Post by hazelkenro » May 4th, '10, 02:10

this series was really good yeah ayt anyways us there any have responsible for subbing this?

Djahane

Post by Djahane » May 4th, '10, 03:53

hazelkenro wrote:this series was really good yeah ayt anyways us there any have responsible for subbing this?
lullabye wrote:Giri Giri, I think, is going to sub this one. They had tentatively claimed it back in February.

blackbalsam

Post by blackbalsam » May 4th, '10, 05:38

It is a great drama with some of the finest actors. First I thought to wait for subs but,..I just couldn't wait any longer :D Agree with the comments above - it has the right spots of serious, funny, emotional, athletic and passionat things.

Yamamoto having this lead role just proves of his great actor abilties...I'm sooo believing in Wataru. :)

DoroboNiichan

Post by DoroboNiichan » May 6th, '10, 05:53

gogogogo GiriGiri!! :thumright:

Here's to hoping for some english subs *pretty soon* lol :alcoholic:

lullabye

Post by lullabye » May 6th, '10, 06:38

I am so loving this drama. I don't understand why the ratings aren't high, but then, US shows I like are never the ones with high ratings, either.

enggrrl

Post by enggrrl » May 10th, '10, 22:59

I wasn't planning on watching this one,I wasn't sure of the concept and I'm not a super fan of either of the big stars, but I know them from a few different things, so I thought...eh, I've got nothing else to watch, why not.... I'm going to keep watching this. It was really funny and also very touching. I'm curious what's going to happen between the new homeroom teacher and the one guy from the gang, with the fauxhawk type hair.

Salz

Post by Salz » May 11th, '10, 01:03

this drama is so good and kinda remind me of the mix of Waterboys and Rookies<33

and Wataru character totally remind me of Hanamichi Sakuragi from Slamdunk with his red hair, his bad boy background with his loyal friends/follower and the REASON he go into Tumbling club is for the a girl he have crush on but he end up loving the sport<33
this kinda make me wonder what would have been if Slamdunk made into live action, Yusuke would be perfect as Hanamichi except for the height of Hanamichi but it hard to find an actor with the perfect height but good enough acting for Hanamichi lol :P

anyway this drama is awesome and im so sad to see the rating is so low when the drama is so good which ver good young actors and Yusuke is brilliant<33
love he boys chemistry especially Yusuke with Seto Koji<33

mavi

Post by mavi » May 12th, '10, 00:21

DramaCrazy.net subbed Episode 2!

RainSprite

Post by RainSprite » May 13th, '10, 00:54

I'm surprised that the ratings for this drama is as low as it is. I was about to not watch it because of that - but then I stumbled across this topic, read some comments, and thought maybe I should at least watch the first episode. I loved it. It sure stimulated a lot of emotions as well. It's one of those drama's that deserve a higher rating.

The men's gymnastics looks really awesome btw. The other teams that competed were awesome. Great talents ~

I watched the 2nd episode as well on dramacrazy.net. I think I liked the first episode better, but I also enjoyed this one ^^ Totally looking forward to the next one. I hope this drama doesn't disappoint.

lullabye

Post by lullabye » May 13th, '10, 03:56

RainSprite wrote:I'm surprised that the ratings for this drama is as low as it is. I was about to not watch it because of that - but then I stumbled across this topic, read some comments, and thought maybe I should at least watch the first episode. I loved it. It sure stimulated a lot of emotions as well. It's one of those drama's that deserve a higher rating.

The men's gymnastics looks really awesome btw. The other teams that competed were awesome. Great talents ~

I watched the 2nd episode as well on dramacrazy.net. I think I liked the first episode better, but I also enjoyed this one ^^ Totally looking forward to the next one. I hope this drama doesn't disappoint.
I'm glad you decided to check it out, and can only hope more people give it a try. I think this is one of those dramas that people will go back to, wondering why they didn't watch the first time.

MaiKitty

Post by MaiKitty » May 15th, '10, 13:06

I just joined after lurking for years to discuss the awesomeness that's Tumbling!

Episode 4 was so great, I really had doubts that it could be topped, but episode 5 did it, I think.
At the end of episode 4 I suspected Mizusawa to be in love with Kiyama, because of the picture in his student id. But on the other hand I couldn't quite believe they would add a homosexual storyline in a drama about male gymnastics.

But they did! And they also made it believable, I so love the scriptwriter for it. I nearly cried through the whole episode 5. ;_; It was all so realistic, especially the reactions to having a "homo" there. Really good acting with the letter that Mizusawa wrote. And how he came back in the end, and when Kiyama said that he cannot return the feelings but wants to be friends and continue Tumbling together. And really, Wataru also shines in this episode, he is such a good friend and so mature in this episode. While the others judge Mizusawa, he doesn't. But in the end they all protect him against those Washizu guys. :cry:

And I can't wait to get a Hino centered episode. I mean what's the deal with him, his father and the olympics? And when will he finally join the team? They are not even complete and next week is episode 6 already. I have a weakness for Nissy so I think he should join soon so he gets more screen time. But it doesn't seem like it'll happen next week, seems it's more about Wataru and maybe his dad?
At first I was afraid that Tumbling would be like Gokusen without the teacher, especially after the 2nd to 3rd episode, because it seemed like the usual plot. Boy gets in trouble, gets saved by his friends, joins the gymnastics team. But it is really more a serious drama and I love that. Sure sometimes it's overdone especially with the dramatic orchestra music, but that can be forgiven. More people should watch it, it's definitely my favourite this season.

lullabye

Post by lullabye » May 15th, '10, 14:06

MaiKitty wrote:I just joined after lurking for years to discuss the awesomeness that's Tumbling!

Episode 4 was so great, I really had doubts that it could be topped, but episode 5 did it, I think.
At the end of episode 4 I suspected Mizusawa to be in love with Kiyama, because of the picture in his student id. But on the other hand I couldn't quite believe they would add a homosexual storyline in a drama about male gymnastics.

But they did! And they also made it believable, I so love the scriptwriter for it. I nearly cried through the whole episode 5. ;_; It was all so realistic, especially the reactions to having a "homo" there. Really good acting with the letter that Mizusawa wrote. And how he came back in the end, and when Kiyama said that he cannot return the feelings but wants to be friends and continue Tumbling together. And really, Wataru also shines in this episode, he is such a good friend and so mature in this episode. While the others judge Mizusawa, he doesn't. But in the end they all protect him against those Washizu guys. :cry:

And I can't wait to get a Hino centered episode. I mean what's the deal with him, his father and the olympics? And when will he finally join the team? They are not even complete and next week is episode 6 already. I have a weakness for Nissy so I think he should join soon so he gets more screen time. But it doesn't seem like it'll happen next week, seems it's more about Wataru and maybe his dad?
At first I was afraid that Tumbling would be like Gokusen without the teacher, especially after the 2nd to 3rd episode, because it seemed like the usual plot. Boy gets in trouble, gets saved by his friends, joins the gymnastics team. But it is really more a serious drama and I love that. Sure sometimes it's overdone especially with the dramatic orchestra music, but that can be forgiven. More people should watch it, it's definitely my favourite this season.
Yes! Yes! Yes! to it all! I Regarding episode 5, I think the actors, writers, and entire team--hell, yeah, TBS!--were incredibly brave
to tackle the subject, considering the anti-BL law passed in Osaka and the one being considered in Tokyo.
My respect for Japanese TV has gone up immensely. Much love to everyone associated with this production! People who have been waiting for the subs, you are going to be sooooo happy with this show.

MaiKitty

Post by MaiKitty » May 15th, '10, 14:26

lullabye wrote:
MaiKitty wrote:I just joined after lurking for years to discuss the awesomeness that's Tumbling!

Yes! Yes! Yes! to it all! I Regarding episode 5, I think the actors, writers, and entire team--hell, yeah, TBS!--were incredibly brave
to tackle the subject, considering the anti-BL law passed in Osaka and the one being considered in Tokyo.
My respect for Japanese TV has gone up immensely. Much love to everyone associated with this production! People who have been waiting for the subs, you are going to be sooooo happy with this show.
I know!! It was such a surprise!
I thought they wouldn't do it, but that they did is such an achivement. To show the issue in such a mature way in a show aimed at Teenagers. Wow, amazing. I've been watching so many dramas over the last 5 years or so and I thought I had them figured out. I mean this is a prime time drama. A serious one at that. I really am proud of them all and happy.
I'm seriously hoping the ratings will go up. People just don't know what they're missing.

lullabye

Post by lullabye » May 15th, '10, 14:53

MaiKitty wrote: I know!! It was such a surprise!
I thought they wouldn't do it, but that they did is such an achivement. To show the issue in such a mature way in a show aimed at Teenagers. Wow, amazing. I've been watching so many dramas over the last 5 years or so and I thought I had them figured out. I mean this is a prime time drama. A serious one at that. I really am proud of them all and happy.
I'm seriously hoping the ratings will go up. People just don't know what they're missing.
I can't begin to say how happy I am to have ordered the premier episode DVD now. To be able to support this production in any way gives me a warm feeling. If there was a photobook, I'd probably buy it, too.
To have a gay character, and not to play it for laughs, but to highlight the meaning of inclusion and teamwork? Really, even in Western TV, you don't see that often.

Oh, and also, Seto and Tomo should win some sort of award for their ability to cry copiously and believably. Maybe actors can't join D-Boys if they can't turn on the waterworks full force. :D

unguanime

Post by unguanime » May 15th, '10, 15:27

The first episode was not really convincing. But it gets better and better.
I love how the characters have their own stories. But I'm a bit disappointed in Seto Koji's character. He seems... so so. Nippori is even more interesting than Takenaka Yuta.
And I LOVE episode 4!!! It is so far the most touching episode. Can't wait for ep 5!! It's up on dramacrazy but it failed to load over and over. And the quality is low so I just have to wait :(
Looks like something's going on with Tomo's character. And Nishi's character looks like going to get a bigger part! XD

Zwitsch

Post by Zwitsch » May 15th, '10, 15:37

Uaaahhh...this show is so awesome - in its own special way!

I´m not getting tired with watching the episodes again and again and again...
(I guess my roommate will kill me soon ~ have mercy with a crazy little fangirl!)

However, my first impression of this show wasn´t any different from the things which were already mentioned above.
I mean will there ever be anything new in Jap. dorama? But hey, there WILL and if it´s only the nice tight unitard!!! :wub:

Like lullabye and MaiKitty have posted, this show is simply great and does a lot of unexpected stuff AND do some great work against
homophobic!!!!

lullabye

Post by lullabye » May 15th, '10, 15:51

unguanime wrote: I love how the characters have their own stories. But I'm a bit disappointed in Seto Koji's character. He seems... so so. Nippori is even more interesting than Takenaka Yuta.
Yeah, you could easily forget that he's the second lead. It's because he's written to be pure-hearted but unremarkable. But the story is really his telling about the other characters, especially Wataru, so I guess it makes narrative sense that his role is downplayed.

MaiKitty

Post by MaiKitty » May 15th, '10, 19:01

@Zwitsch
Haha, poor roomate! But I understand, I watched the available episodes several times too. It's such an addicting show.

Not to forget the sports factor - I mean Tumbling seems really hard. It's so cool that the actors really practised and do it all themselves.

About Takenaka (Seto Kojis character): I don't think he is a soso-character. It might be something like lullabye wrote, the story is told from his point of view. I also think we didn't get to see all of him yet, I mean there is probably more to his character, I think in episode one and two you could really see that he loves tumbling. And don't forget Wataru is clearly the main character, I think Yuta is like the opposite to Watarus loud self a more adapted kid. Watarus family is clearly a focus and we don't know a lot about Yutas or the others families - yet. But there are so many of them it is hard to have everyone in the spotlight. But I do think they did a good job so far. Maybe Yuta has some shady past involving that main Washizu guy? And it's also possible that he has a history with Hino. Who knows? Just keep on watching. :)

unguanime

Post by unguanime » May 15th, '10, 19:50

lullabye and MaiKitty might be right. I do hope there is still more of Takenaka Yuta :D

Zwitsch

Post by Zwitsch » May 15th, '10, 19:55

Yeah, Hino-chan! He is just cute - I love his reaction towards extremely stupid Wataru!

Hm, what about Sensei?! Is it just me or does he maybe have a sportive past?! :blink
Last edited by Zwitsch on May 16th, '10, 06:30, edited 1 time in total.

P@permoon

Post by P@permoon » May 15th, '10, 22:04

I fell in love with this show in the first episode. Yuta´s reluctance towards Azuma was interesting to watch and his angry and frustrated outbursts were heartbreaking. But in the end, he had some kind of sixth sense, that it would just end in big trouble. Even though, afterwards both boys, who couldn´t be more different, started to learn from each other. I found that very refreshing and new. The only thing that connects Yuta and Azuma is their stubbornness. :lol

My favourite character is Yuta. Well, of course he isn´t flamboyant like Azuma and his Gang, who are kind of overdone anyway since they are also serving as comic-reliefs, but this is just the difference that´s sticking out. Yuta is the classical japanese top-student, well-mannered, respectful and responsibly - the perfect Captain. Azuma on the other side is the whole counterpart, but also the ideal Boss for his kind of Gang, because of his lukewarm personality. But Yuta still owns a very strong presence and fortitude, which even Azuma comes to respect. I mean, this kid is just 18 years old and carries a big burden out of pure passion for a Sport, without any real support. I truly respect this kid and I could feel with him every moment, from the start.

I take my hat off to Seto´s performace (once again). This boy is an impressive actor, and not just because he is the only one (I have to confess) who was truly able to move me to tears in this show (and that without backround music!). He is convincing and handles his emotions subtly, to the point. A young actor who understands the art of fine acting. Excellent! :salut:

Yamamoto and Miura are good actors and fun to watch in their parts. I especially enjoy the tension between Azuma and Yuta, they work great together as leads! After all is "Tumbling" their coming-of-age story, but so far I can only see noticeable maturing in Yuta, who became even more sturdy and confident. Although, both boys opened up to, let me call it "kids of their kind", but from episode 3 is Wataru in danger of becoming to "hotsy totsy", because he suddenly is able to help everyone. I liked Yuta´s initiative there, because it shows that he finally can accept his new Club-Members. But Wataru lecturing others seems a bit too much from there - at least for now. I would like to see him learning something new again too.

Akira, Nene, Ryoko and Sato are very good in their parts too. Tomiura, Kento and Tamoto are good supporting actors. And the girls aren´t really annoying! *lol*
Daito´s Kiyama is surprisingly easy to forget when he isn´t on screen and, as tragic as it was, I wasn´t really moved by his performance, because I found it slightly overdone, but the accident made me mad! And, the secret in Episode 5 could have been a true stunner, if they just would have choosen another actor to pull the twist and not Yanagishita, who screams BL-Actor from, well from the time the cast was announced. :pale: Also, I found his crying-scene a bit overdone too.

It wasn´t really surprising, yet a good thing to bring the topic in, since I liked how the Team handled it, even if it was harsh at the start.
Anyway, my favourite Series this Spring! Next in would come "Mother". But "Tumbling" is awesome, just alone for Yuta, Wataru and the Rhythmic Gymnastics, which is truly a great sport, even for boys, and I can see Yuta´s fascination for it. For the future, I would hope for more action between Yuta and his Rival Tsurumi and that he and Wataru get Hino to join the Team Performance soon. :D

unguanime

Post by unguanime » May 15th, '10, 22:20

P@permoon wrote: And the girls aren´t really annoying! *lol*
LOL. I must agree with you.
P@permoon wrote: and that he and Wataru get Hino to join the Team Performance soon. :D
THIS. XD
Yes, please!

lullabye

Post by lullabye » May 16th, '10, 01:46

P@permoon wrote:My favourite character is Yuta. Well, of course he isn´t flamboyant like Azuma and his Gang, who are kind of overdone anyway since they are also serving as comic-reliefs, but this is just the difference that´s sticking out. Yuta is the classical japanese top-student, well-mannered, respectful and responsibly - the perfect Captain. Azuma on the other side is the whole counterpart, but also the ideal Boss for his kind of Gang, because of his lukewarm personality. But Yuta still owns a very strong presence and fortitude, which even Azuma comes to respect. I mean, this kid is just 18 years old and carries a big burden out of pure passion for a Sport, without any real support. I truly respect this kid and I could feel with him every moment, from the start.
Agreed. One thing I really like about this series is the way that Yuta and Wataru are set up as reflections of each other. Sort of Japanese High School Mirror Universe captains. The first episode in particular was delicious in the way the not just Yuta and Wataru but also the shintaisou club and the Kara gang paralleled each other.
I take my hat off to Seto´s performace (once again). This boy is an impressive actor, and not just because he is the only one (I have to confess) who was truly able to move me to tears in this show (and that without backround music!). He is convincing and handles his emotions subtly, to the point. A young actor who understands the art of fine acting. Excellent! :salut:
This. I fell in love with Seto's acting ability while watching Kamen Rider Kiva. I immediately had to watch everything he had ever been in, because his skill is just amazing for such a young actor. Just watching him pose in his TV Homme videos amazes me. His face will go through a wide range of expressions, with body language to match, within just a minute or two. I don't see other models doing that. It's like he takes every opportunity to polish his acting.
Yamamoto and Miura are good actors and fun to watch in their parts. I especially enjoy the tension between Azuma and Yuta, they work great together as leads! After all is "Tumbling" their coming-of-age story, but so far I can only see noticeable maturing in Yuta, who became even more sturdy and confident. Although, both boys opened up to, let me call it "kids of their kind", but from episode 3 is Wataru in danger of becoming to "hotsy totsy", because he suddenly is able to help everyone. I liked Yuta´s initiative there, because it shows that he finally can accept his new Club-Members. But Wataru lecturing others seems a bit too much from there - at least for now. I would like to see him learning something new again too.
Yes, Wataru is definitely in danger of being too perfect, like a yanki Mary Sue. Maybe the next episode will humble him again. I like to see him learning from everyone else as much as seeing anyone else learn from him.
Akira, Nene, Ryoko and Sato are very good in their parts too. Tomiura, Kento and Tamoto are good supporting actors. And the girls aren´t really annoying! *lol*
It is largely a good supporting cast. And the girls not being annoying is very refreshing. Not only not annoying, but generally a positive influence, especially Mari. Oh, thank you, writers, for not making her either a tsundere or perfect flower.
Daito´s Kiyama is surprisingly easy to forget when he isn´t on screen and, as tragic as it was, I wasn´t really moved by his performance, because I found it slightly overdone, but the accident made me mad! And, the secret in Episode 5 could have been a true stunner, if they just would have choosen another actor to pull the twist and not Yanagishita, who screams BL-Actor from, well from the time the cast was announced. :pale: Also, I found his crying-scene a bit overdone too.

It wasn´t really surprising, yet a good thing to bring the topic in, since I liked how the Team handled it, even if it was harsh at the start.
I thought Tomo's crying was appropriate to the scenario. A boy would be absolutely terrified at being outed like that and apparently left friendless. If his family didn't know before, they would know now, and without friends, dealing with family would be particularly hard. This is why there is such a high suicide rate among gay youths. But, yeah, Tomo does seem to be saddled with a BL label. On the other hand, my first encounter with the word "otomen" was reading a press piece on Seto's winning the Kiva role, and he's doing a pretty good job of shucking that image.

Regarding Kiyama, do you mean the ep 4 scene at the cemetery? Because, otherwise, I think the many moods of Daito are pretty much the same as Keanu Reeves'. But, you know, Kiyama was supposed to be a Man of Mystery, so it's been OK.
Anyway, my favourite Series this Spring! Next in would come "Mother". But "Tumbling" is awesome, just alone for Yuta, Wataru and the Rhythmic Gymnastics, which is truly a great sport, even for boys, and I can see Yuta´s fascination for it. For the future, I would hope for more action between Yuta and his Rival Tsurumi and that he and Wataru get Hino to join the Team Performance soon. :D
No argument here!

(I love being able to discuss this show!)
Last edited by lullabye on May 16th, '10, 03:00, edited 1 time in total.

unguanime

Post by unguanime » May 16th, '10, 02:36

lullabye wrote:
P@permoon wrote:

This. I fell in love with Seto's acting ability while watching Kamen Rider Kiva. I immediately had to watch everything he had ever been in, because his skill is just amazing for such a young actor. Just watching him pose in his TV Homme videos amazes me. His face will go through a wide range of expressions, with body language to match, within just a minute or two. I don't see other models doing that. It's like he takes every opportunity to polish his acting.
Hmm... This makes me want to watch Kamen Rider Kiva. I've only watched Seto in Rinne no Ame and Atashinchi no Danshi. He played a mentally disordered person perfectly in Rinne no Ame.

One of the reasons I watch Tumbling is because Yamamoto Yusuke and Seto Koji are here. The've acted together in Atashinchi no Danshi and Rinne no Ame. Totally love this pair. I hope they will work together again in the future.

MaiKitty

Post by MaiKitty » May 16th, '10, 07:14

Zwitsch wrote:Yeah, Hino-chan! He is just cute - I love his reaction towards extremely stupid Wataru!
Yes, I really want to see more of Hino. Everytime he comes to the screen I just hope he says more than two words, but so far no luck. I love the confused/I don't care look he has going on when Wataru screams that he won't loose to him. I'm especially curious what will happen next now that he
claimed the training space for himself, Wataru doesn't seem happy at all. Haha!
It helps that Nishi is such a great actor. I'm one of those people who started watching mainly for him, so I hope there will be some development soon.

I also really like the girls actresses and I think they do a good job, like somebody mentioned. It's cool that they do their own thing and don't really swoon over the boys like so many other drama girls would.
I thought Tomo's crying was appropriate to the scenario. A boy would be absolutely terrified at being outed like that and apparently left friendless. If his family didn't know before, they would know now, and without friends, dealing with family would be particularly hard. This is why there is such a high suicide rate among gay youths. But, yeah, Tomo does seem to be saddled with a BL label. On the other hand, my first encounter with the word "otomen" was reading a press piece on Seto's winning the Kiva role, and he's doing a pretty good job of shucking that image.

Regarding Kiyama, do you mean the ep 4 scene at the cemetery? Because, otherwise, I think the many moods of Daito are pretty much the same as Keanu Reeves'. But, you know, Kiyama was supposed to be a Man of Mystery, so it's been OK.
I really agree with this. I didn't think the crying was forced or bad at all. But maybe that was because I was crying myself? :blink No, I think they did a great job, and to be honest I didn't even know that Tomo guy before, as I am no fan of BL at all. (and now after some research I just found out that he did a BL movie)

I think most BL is an female pov sugarcoated version of reality and Tumbling didn't do it like this at all. Because Teenagers are not going to be happy when one of them turns out gay, most of them aren't really mature enough. So I really liked how they handled it. I also like the Kiyama scenes, like lullabye said, he is the mysterious type and I think he did well.
So no bad acting for me at all, so far I enjoyed it all even though it's a bit over the top at times, but I think that's also in the nature of the drama.

About Wataru I would also have to disagree, I don't think he is close to perfect. He just simply found a thing he can put his heart into completely, something that was missing before - so that is something he has in common with Yuta. I like how he acts so childish on one side but is able to handle other things like an adult. I really like his character, especially after 5.

unguanime

Post by unguanime » May 16th, '10, 09:17

I really want to watch episode 5 soon. I'm so addicted to this drama! I hope I can click those "show" button and join the discussion. *sigh*

Zwitsch

Post by Zwitsch » May 16th, '10, 09:57

@Maikitty: Yes, Hino should do more than just say two words or looking annoyed or rolling his eyes or plug headphones in - yeah, but that all makes him so adorable!!!

Maikitty wrote:
About Wataru...I don't think he is close to perfect. He just simply found a thing he can put his heart into completely, something that was missing before - so that is something he has in common with Yuta. I like how he acts so childish on one side but is able to handle other things like an adult. I really like his character, especially after 5.
I agree wholeheartedly! Wataru isn´t perfect but who is it anyway. Those two sides on him may be a bit exaggerated but it´s like how the whole dorama seems to me:
On one side it´s just an extreme exaggerated and nearly predictable show with its funny and sad parts and on the other hand you have the seriousness, side blows and a lot of given food for thoughts...

unguanime

Post by unguanime » May 16th, '10, 12:56

Finally watched episode 5!!
Here's my opinion:
- At the end of episode 4 I was a bit scared of the gay topic. I don't think homosexuals are wrong or something, but general people does so I'm afraid on how they would react.
But, wow, putting that kind of topic here is so brave, I respect the whole Tumbling team, casts, and TBS for that.
Does anyone know about Japanese's reaction to this episode?
- I think Tomo's acting is great.
The crying scene was just perfect.
- Wataru!! Love him more now. I was surprised at how he got more mature in this episode.

- Hino!!! I am starting to get frustrated. When will he get more screen part??? His comment in Tumbling site says Hino will get a big part in episode 7. *sigh* I guess I'll have to wait.
- Kiyama's reaction to Mizusawa's feeling is so real. He avoided Mizusawa at first but then he handle it well. :)
I love Tumbling <3

lullabye

Post by lullabye » May 16th, '10, 14:05

unguanime wrote: Does anyone know about Japanese's reaction to this episode?
I was curious about that, too. .I checked out blogs, and they are quite positive. I really haven't seen any sign of negative results. But then, I have to mostly rely on google translate when I'm skimming Japanese sites, so maybe I've missed something.

vspirit

Post by vspirit » May 16th, '10, 14:07

huh. then i must be the only one who think all the girls, except for Mari-chan, are a bunch of brainless biatches, with the queen being that manager . they could've been written with more depth but so far their only function in the show is to jeer at the boys so that they could effectively be shut up later. lol. the manager's cute to look at, though, so she's forgiven. 8D yes, i'm shallow like that. but i can't say i like her a lot. that would have to be the laydees (Ezaki-sensei & Wataru's mama) =D

...and Hino, of course.

and Nippori, too. dude's really grown on me. xxxD

Romance

Post by Romance » May 16th, '10, 14:46

Hope the upload of ep5 wont be delayed like last time..
Of course im grateful but.. wanna enjoy tumbling asap :-)

MaiKitty

Post by MaiKitty » May 16th, '10, 14:49

^^I don't think they are brainless bitches. They are territorial because they are succesful in what they do. They don't want to share and it is understandable. And other than that they are not really saying much, so to label them as brainless and bitchy seems unfounded to me.

And I have a weakness for Okamoto Rei, since Akai Ito, I think she's cute. :P

vspirit

Post by vspirit » May 16th, '10, 15:21

no i'm more talking about their penchant for gossiping in a poisonous fashion. though they do reflect the ugly side of society in reality i guess. the japanese one especially. also, being territorial is one thing, being demeaning and cruel is another. i don't think my opinion is unfounded but it /is/ no one's opinion but my own. just wanted to share it, is all. =)

MaiKitty

Post by MaiKitty » May 16th, '10, 15:42

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying you're wrong in stating your opinion, it just seemed way to harsh to me and I have to disagree, but that's the fun thing about a discussion, isn't it? I just think that brainless and bitchy is a bit too much, I mean sure they gossip and are mean in some situations but how does that show that they have no brain? I prefer girls that can voice their sentiments much more than those boring bimbo girls that are worshipping boys like they are gods or something, we get to see that much too often. This show isn't about these girls, but they are there and are realistically portrayed. That's just the way I see it.

vspirit

Post by vspirit » May 16th, '10, 15:51

haha, don't worry you didn't step on my toes or anything. they're pretty tough so even if you did, i prolly wouldn't notice. but i was a little worried that opinions weren't welcomed so your words did put me at ease. =)

mmmh, i guess i just find all gossipers on the not-so-brainy side cos they follow what others say instead of using their own heads to think. there's more than one way to being brainless and biatchy, i think.

anyway, like you said, this show isn't about them so let's get back on track.

truth be told, i'm only watching this for ol' hinocchi. or rather the guy playing him lol. though the drama turned out to be watchable overall, i'm really hoping that they'll turn the tap off soon...5 episodes of sob stories continuously is getting a bit much for me...even if they are somewhat entertaining. i'm /really/ hoping hinocchi's story wouldn't end up being one as well. though i must say, his is shaping up to be the most interesting one of the lot...and i'm not being biased here. which is why i hope it won't dwindle down into becoming a typical sob story. heh.

the show they put on at the end was nicely done though. i hope there's gonna be more of this routine from here on out cos they guys /did/ train continuously since last Oct. would be great to see the fruits of all their hard labor. =)) that and the show is supposed to promote the still-unknown sport, after all.

and once again..........nippori FTW!
Last edited by vspirit on May 16th, '10, 15:56, edited 1 time in total.

P@permoon

Post by P@permoon » May 16th, '10, 15:55

lullabye wrote:Yes, Wataru is definitely in danger of being too perfect, like a yanki Mary Sue. Maybe the next episode will humble him again. I like to see him learning from everyone else as much as seeing anyone else learn from him.
Exactly. It´s getting a bit obviously sometimes that the writers like to go the way "You are the lead, you will solve this problem." The thing is not that he is doing it, it just shouldn´t be he alone. It was great to see when Yuta was running back to school and gathered the others to help Nippori out or when Wataru took his lesson from him that violence just causes more violence. That showed big steps in development, since they started to work together and trust each other. I really enjoyed that and would like to see more situations like this.
MaiKitty wrote: About Wataru I would also have to disagree, I don't think he is close to perfect. He just simply found a thing he can put his heart into completely, something that was missing before - so that is something he has in common with Yuta. I like how he acts so childish on one side but is able to handle other things like an adult. I really like his character, especially after 5.
No, it´s not about his development in regards that he finally found something he really enjoys. It´s that he suddenly is the person who is helping others with their problems, when he before wasn´t even able to help himself. Wataru is really not someone who should talk like an adult and give advice, because if he would be matured enough, he wouldn´t run around and pick fights with random people. He still has a lot to learn himself and it would be interesting to see more of the situations like in episode 1 and 3.

About Episode 5
lullabye wrote: I thought Tomo's crying was appropriate to the scenario. A boy would be absolutely terrified at being outed like that and apparently left friendless. If his family didn't know before, they would know now, and without friends, dealing with family would be particularly hard. This is why there is such a high suicide rate among gay youths.
MaiKitty wrote:I think most BL is an female pov sugarcoated version of reality and Tumbling didn't do it like this at all. Because Teenagers are not going to be happy when one of them turns out gay, most of them aren't really mature enough. So I really liked how they handled it. So no bad acting for me at all, so far I enjoyed it all even though it's a bit over the top at times, but I think that's also in the nature of the drama.
The way Mizusawas´s Outing was performed was very cliché. A boy tries to hide that he likes a teammate, gets outed and runs away. I would have liked to see him standing up, be more active in his situation and defend himself, but he is falling in self-pity and even abandons the team, his best friend has worked hard on to build up. I mean, he wasn´t even trying to talk to Yuta just once. And it´s not that Males Rhythmic Gymnastics is taken as granted as masculine sport, not even in Japan. Many athletes have to endure that stupid prejudgment from outsiders who think this sport is "gay". Stupid people are everywhere and I think that you have to be a bit bold to go your way with the sport. So, it´s somehow a little absurd that Mizusawas is so passive suddenly in his own situation when he had no problem to run free with the sport. I know that Ryosuke was harsh in his comments and it was not very encouraging that Yuta was so baffled on the news and didn´t knew how to deal with it, but Mizusawa could have tried at least. They are supposed to be close friends after all. The left letter was what saved the plot and the dash the team did, because it was touching to see their reactions. But Mizusawa´s self-pity on the bus was overdone and that he stayed passive until the end was disappointing.

But, it wasn´t surprising, because Yanagishita´s acting is usually very passive. He has to be careful, because even when he is standing in the backround, he often appears as blank. After 5 episodes, I can´t even get a basic approach of who Mizusawa actually is. He leaves no impression on me, unlike the rest. The last really good gay character in a Golden Time Series was Saotome in Waterboys. He was a little on the comic side, but still had a unique personality that made him interesting.
lullabye wrote: Regarding Kiyama, do you mean the ep 4 scene at the cemetery? Because, otherwise, I think the many moods of Daito are pretty much the same as Keanu Reeves'. But, you know, Kiyama was supposed to be a Man of Mystery, so it's been OK.
Yeah, Kiyama is not a bad character. No one is. And I have no problem with him or his on/off widget. The scene at the cemetery started so good; but then came the sobbing, which destroyed the mood. :sweat:
So far, I thought that the Series had a very good balance between serious, sad, funny and heartwarming moments. Nothing is unbearable exaggerated or awkward. Even when Shows like Gokusen or Rookies tried to come up with stories for their individuals characters that were supposed to be touching, I tend to think "... and, what exactly was now so sad that he is crying?" :scratch: It was sometimes hard to see it and the emotions felt really over the top. But in Tumbling I can see where it´s coming from and I´m glad that there is no Teacher sermonizing. So, most of the boys can stand and their own feet.

lullabye wrote: But, yeah, Tomo does seem to be saddled with a BL label. On the other hand, my first encounter with the word "otomen" was reading a press piece on Seto's winning the Kiva role, and he's doing a pretty good job of shucking that image.
His how many BL part is this now, the 4th? But it´s not that he his helping himself much. He seems very awkward with girls in general, at least on screen. His part in Akai Ito, for example, was very unconvincing. I mean ...
He and his girlfriend had no chemistry and barely touched hands. Who was supposed to believe that he is going to be a father soon? :glare:
It was amusing to see how the producers tried to establish the image of an Otomen for Seto until he, hardly 1 month later, upset the apple cart when TETRA-FANG was formed and was suddenly a little Rockstar. It is difficult to fit him into an image, because he is so multifaceted. By now he is counting as Kyushu Boy, which is again the opposite to an real Otomen.
lullabye wrote: This. I fell in love with Seto's acting ability while watching Kamen Rider Kiva. I immediately had to watch everything he had ever been in, because his skill is just amazing for such a young actor. Just watching him pose in his TV Homme videos amazes me. His face will go through a wide range of expressions, with body language to match, within just a minute or two. I don't see other models doing that. It's like he takes every opportunity to polish his acting.
He has a impressive wide range of facial- and emotional expressions. How often do you see an young actor who is able to express just alone tears in a frustrated, concerned, sad or angry way? I really love his play! :salut:

MaiKitty

Post by MaiKitty » May 16th, '10, 16:08

@vspirit
I started watching for Nissy, too. But for me it's different, I started watching for Nissy and got addicted through the rest of the cast. I think it's horrible to have Nissy, who is really a great actor, just barely talking 2 lines in the drama, but it makes his character so much cooler, like you said, for me he is the most interesting character, the one I want to know more about the most!
Romance wrote:Hope the upload of ep5 wont be delayed like last time..
Of course im grateful but.. wanna enjoy tumbling asap :-)
I watch Tumbling over live stream. The adding of torrents or other sources for this show doesn't seem the priority, but I'm thankful that it is happening. That said, I'm absolutely no friend of that site and what they do, but have you tried dramacrazy? You can watch episode 5 on there. I'm also impatient so this is sometimes a good alternative. (for the RAW at least)

@Wataru-Mary Sue People
I think that probably the next episode will be the one you're waiting for, with Wataru and his father, and this seems like the episode when the others will "save" Wataru if I judge it correctly from the preview. So no worries, he's not going to be the universal remedy of Tumbling. :)

@P@permoon
About episode 5. Sure there were also some cliches in that one. But that they even ventured into this topic is such a big thing, that they are completely forgiven for it. (At least from my persepctive) The problem kind of has to be solved in 50 minutes. And it's not a show about Mizusawas problems. Maybe he just simply isn't as brave as you want him to be. I think it's realistic that he ran, he is a teenager and unsure about himself, he doesn't have the strength to go, "yes, I'm gay accept it or leave it" For a drama, I think this episode was done extremely well and it moved me. I'm proud of the cast and I really enjoyed it.
Last edited by MaiKitty on May 16th, '10, 17:08, edited 2 times in total.

vspirit

Post by vspirit » May 16th, '10, 16:31

hmm...i don't think it's a bad thing personally. i was ready for him to take the backseat and from the second episode on, you could kinda see that each character will have his own story to tell and having one's own story to tell=one full episode dedication at least. xxxD so i was and still am waiting for episode 7. seeing him appear in episode 5 as often as he did was a pleasant surprise. and since he's had so little lines so far, he had to do most of his acting with his eyes and face...which takes skill in an on itself. i'm pretty happy with what he's managed to do so far and it shows that he's really earned those two prestigious newcomer awards he won earlier this year =D

if i ever wanna see a lotta him, all i have to do is watch LE and bam! 4 hours full of him. LOLOL.
i thought the thing with Mizusawa was alright. different people handle different things differently. he's no Wataru so if he suddenly stood up for himself, he'd be way OOC. and since he being around was making everyone else uncomfortable, especially the new recruits (moreso since one of them is the object of his affection), it'd make sense for him to choose to leave instead of making all the others leave, as this would be the best solution for the team. good thing the team came around though.
Last edited by vspirit on May 16th, '10, 16:40, edited 1 time in total.

MaiKitty

Post by MaiKitty » May 16th, '10, 16:38

Yep, really looking forward to episode 7, too. I just can't wait to see him doing a routine with the others.

Have you guys seen the new unitard?
http://tbs-blog.com/tumbling/11818/

Why did they have to use such a peachy colour? I mean the tiger/dragon whatever that thing on the front is is cool, but that peachy part....I hope it looks better on TV.

lullabye

Post by lullabye » May 16th, '10, 17:18

MaiKitty wrote: Have you guys seen the new unitard?

Why did they have to use such a peachy colour? I mean the tiger/dragon whatever that thing on the front is is cool, but that peachy part....I hope it looks better on TV.
Well, as Seto said on last week's D-Radio show, it's a shoujo program. And that, you know, means pretty boys in pink. What sets this show apart from other shoujo programs is that the pretty boys are good actors and the script appeals to people who aren't 12 year old girls.
Last edited by lullabye on May 16th, '10, 18:18, edited 1 time in total.

MaiKitty

Post by MaiKitty » May 16th, '10, 17:33

If it would be pink like the stars on the current unitard it wouldn't be that bad. But that peach colour makes them all look pale. :(

Pretty Boys in Pink....hehe, I like that. I always liked Shoujo starting when I was 16...probably too old now? :)

P@permoon

Post by P@permoon » May 16th, '10, 17:48

But it´s not peach, it´s hot-pink and matches the T-Shirts with their Slogan "Dancing, Jumping, Tumbling" :-)

Not sure yet, if they are going to have the Dragon on their chest too, but on the back for sure. I kind of imagine that they have the Dragon´s back on their chest. Well, I think they look cool! I love the current, simple design too, the white with the red stars across the chest is very elegant. But the new uniforms are very flashy and look at lot more professional, just right. I´m curious how they will look on screen.

Zwitsch

Post by Zwitsch » May 16th, '10, 17:54

Well, I love the new unitard!!! :P
They may look pale but it must look nice with Watarus red hair!
Can´t wait to see it...

@MaiKitty: don´t worry! I´m much older... :cry:

lullabye

Post by lullabye » May 16th, '10, 18:17

P@permoon wrote: The way Mizusawas´s Outing was performed was very cliché. A boy tries to hide that he likes a teammate, gets outed and runs away. I would have liked to see him standing up, be more active in his situation and defend himself, but he is falling in self-pity and even abandons the team, his best friend has worked hard on to build up. I mean, he wasn´t even trying to talk to Yuta just once. And it´s not that Males Rhythmic Gymnastics is taken as granted as masculine sport, not even in Japan. Many athletes have to endure that stupid prejudgment from outsiders who think this sport is "gay". Stupid people are everywhere and I think that you have to be a bit bold to go your way with the sport. So, it´s somehow a little absurd that Mizusawas is so passive suddenly in his own situation when he had no problem to run free with the sport. I know that Ryosuke was harsh in his comments and it was not very encouraging that Yuta was so baffled on the news and didn´t knew how to deal with it, but Mizusawa could have tried at least. They are supposed to be close friends after all. The left letter was what saved the plot and the dash the team did, because it was touching to see their reactions. But Mizusawa´s self-pity on the bus was overdone and that he stayed passive until the end was disappointing.
I can see what you mean, but I think that, from events in the second episode, it was pretty clear that Mizusawa was emotionally dependent on Yuta, and in the fourth episode, that his way of dealing with emotional stress is to withdraw. Being able to stand up against suspicions of being gay was OK as long as he was doing it on the same terms as the rest of the team--being teased for doing a "girly" sport.
But, it wasn´t surprising, because Yanagishita´s acting is usually very passive. He has to be careful, because even when he is standing in the backround, he often appears as blank. After 5 episodes, I can´t even get a basic approach of who Mizusawa actually is. He leaves no impression on me, unlike the rest. The last really good gay character in a Golden Time Series was Saotome in Waterboys. He was a little on the comic side, but still had a unique personality that made him interesting.
I really need to watch more of Tomo before making a judgment as to whether Mizusawa is written the way he is or is being underplayed.
P@permoon wrote:
lullabye wrote:
Yeah, Kiyama is not a bad character. No one is. And I have no problem with him or his on/off widget. The scene at the cemetery started so good; but then came the sobbing, which destroyed the mood. :sweat:
For me, the mood spoiler at the cemetery was Wataru popping up, like he had arranged the whole thing like some sort of yanki Dr. Phil. But we've talked about that problem with his character, haven't we?
P@permoon wrote:
lullabye wrote: But, yeah, Tomo does seem to be saddled with a BL label. On the other hand, my first encounter with the word "otomen" was reading a press piece on Seto's winning the Kiva role, and he's doing a pretty good job of shucking that image.
It was amusing to see how the producers tried to establish the image of an Otomen for Seto until he, hardly 1 month later, upset the apple cart when TETRA-FANG was formed and was suddenly a little Rockstar. It is difficult to fit him into an image, because he is so multifaceted. By now he is counting as Kyushu Boy, which is again the opposite to an real Otomen.
And isn't he the most adorable little Kyushu Boy? :lol But, seriously, he really does have that indomitable spirit, doesn't he? He just fishes you in by looking harmless.

lullabye

Post by lullabye » May 16th, '10, 18:21

MaiKitty wrote:If it would be pink like the stars on the current unitard it wouldn't be that bad. But that peach colour makes them all look pale. :(

Pretty Boys in Pink....hehe, I like that. I always liked Shoujo starting when I was 16...probably too old now? :)
You're never too old for shoujo! That would be like being too old for birthday cake!

unguanime

Post by unguanime » May 16th, '10, 20:30

MaiKitty wrote:Yep, really looking forward to episode 7, too. I just can't wait to see him doing a routine with the others.

Have you guys seen the new unitard?

It does looks too...um.... I don't know what to say. LOL

Hey, I see Hino lining up in there!!! XD
Last edited by unguanime on May 16th, '10, 20:35, edited 1 time in total.

unguanime

Post by unguanime » May 16th, '10, 20:32

lullabye wrote:
unguanime wrote: Does anyone know about Japanese's reaction to this episode?
I was curious about that, too. .I checked out blogs, and they are quite positive. I really haven't seen any sign of negative results. But then, I have to mostly rely on google translate when I'm skimming Japanese sites, so maybe I've missed something.
I hope it's generally positive. Thanks :D

unguanime

Post by unguanime » May 16th, '10, 20:34

About Tomo, I've never seen him act before, so I can't say anything. Does tenimyu count? I don't think so.

unguanime

Post by unguanime » May 16th, '10, 20:36

lullabye wrote:
MaiKitty wrote: Have you guys seen the new unitard?

Well, as Seto said on last week's D-Radio show, it's a shoujo program. And that, you know, means pretty boys in pink. What sets this show apart from other shoujo programs is that the pretty boys are good actors and the script appeals to people who aren't 12 year old girls.
THIS. So true :D