Let's Go to School, Sang-doo (KBS2, 2003) **Spoilers**

Discuss Korean drama series here.

Let's Go to School, Sang-doo!

Poll ended at Apr 3rd, '06, 05:21

They died in the Car Crash.
51%
Survived and Moved to start a New family together.
49%

Total votes: 97

MajidB
Fansubber
Fansubber

Let's Go to School, Sang-doo (KBS2, 2003) **Spoilers**

Post by MajidB » Feb 10th, '05, 22:11

Let's Go to School, Sang-doo!
상두야 학교가자!

There was a topic about the ending but not a discussion. How did you all like the series?
Let's Go to School, Sang-doo! was the first series that offered me laughter in the beginning and sadness in the end. I would Recommend this series to anyone out there. It is totally worth watching. Another thing that suprised me about this series... ( which made me choose to download it ) was that it had 13000+ people who have it done downloaded.

Slash

Post by Slash » Feb 11th, '05, 00:18

I think this is an amazing series. 8) I'm up to episode 11.

Jannah
Geinou Fansubber
Geinou Fansubber

Post by Jannah » Feb 11th, '05, 06:19

I didn't think much of this drama initially, but decided to download it anyway when it was KSOTM. But I was pleasantly surprised when I started watching it. It's really unique, in a way, and it made me take notice of Bi. I though the story balanced the humour & tragedy very well, and the ending is one of my favourite ones ever. :wub: Watch it. Seriously. :)

DonlySuperman

Just a thought on "Sang Doo Let's Go To School"

Post by DonlySuperman » Mar 18th, '05, 09:15

I started watching this a little while ago but can't help but notice that the lead female role should be someone else. I mean she's a good actress and all but I can't help but notice that she's not very attractive to put in a nice way. After watching "Romance" with Kim Ha Neul, I just thought that she would make this series so much better. Kim Ha-Neul is so cute and funny that this role would fit her quite well plus she has experience in being a teacher in both Romance and My Tutor Friend.

No offense but everytime I hear "you're so pretty" being called on the teacher, it's really eerie.

I just want to ask those who have viewed this message to respond if you feel the same way or if you feel the opposite.

Spike23

Post by Spike23 » Mar 18th, '05, 11:09

I liked ths drama, has some akward scenes but the story and cast were still very good.
I liked the show overal. The main girl actress isn;t super pretty but she has her sex appeal so yea i think she matched the role very well.

rlynxen

Post by rlynxen » Mar 18th, '05, 17:04

if im not mistaken, in the first episode, some male students that were trying to pick her up say that she's not that pretty. i think any guy in love with any girl would say that she's pretty. imagine a guy saying this "ure not very pretty.. but i like u anyway.." but imo, gong hyo jin can be pretty sometimes. i once saw a pic of her where she's super pretty. it really depends on the hair n make up, i think. haha..

otcho

Post by otcho » Mar 18th, '05, 17:26

she's pretty

Tekuza

Post by Tekuza » Mar 18th, '05, 17:57

rlynxen wrote:if im not mistaken, in the first episode, some male students that were trying to pick her up say that she's not that pretty. i think any guy in love with any girl would say that she's pretty. imagine a guy saying this "ure not very pretty.. but i like u anyway.." but imo, gong hyo jin can be pretty sometimes. i once saw a pic of her where she's super pretty. it really depends on the hair n make up, i think. haha..
Yep i agree....She's no Song Hye Kyo but she has her quality's that make her cute, wait till you watch Cat on the Rooftop with Kim Rae Won then your gonna say DonlySuperman that chick is not pretty why did they partner him with her. Well in series they do it as well to please ppl and put the perspective that although the girl is not that pretty once you've seen beyond the exterior quality you'll find they have a unique point about them, also like rlynxen said it's about make up etc. have you ever seen actors with out it some you wouldn't even believe

BRITNEY SPEARS

J-LO

ALICIA SILVERSTONE

So in my opinion Eun-hwa from sang do is actually better then these stars coz naturally you can see her transitions aren't as bad as celebs. pouring that much make up on themselves. Also check her out in Volcano High she looks nice their here are some off her where i think she looks nice

ImageImageImage

DonlySuperman

Post by DonlySuperman » Mar 18th, '05, 21:03

like I said, no offense to the actress but I don't know, she doesn't attract my attention at first glance but like I said before, I praise her acting abilities. I haven't seen her in any other movies or any place else. And yes, definitely she's not song hye kyo. Song Hye Kyo is just so damn pretty and hot at the same time!

P.S. I APPRECIATE ALL OF YOUR REPLIES!!! :D

mangosteen
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by mangosteen » Mar 18th, '05, 21:52

Yep, I was a little pissed off when I first saw her in Sangdoo let's go to school, but I agree that as the storyline goes along, I get used to it and find it more comfortable with her. She has some charisma though. You may not see it at the first sight. :lol

Jannah
Geinou Fansubber
Geinou Fansubber

Post by Jannah » Mar 19th, '05, 00:26

I don't mind if the lead actor/actress in a drama is not attractive. Doesn't keep me from watching it. I think Gong Hyo Jin is pretty, in her own way. I guess her role in Sangdoo didn't need her to look pretty, so if you think she looked plain in there, she was just fitting into her role. She was a model before she became an actress, so there must be something attractive about her, right?

TNF
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by TNF » Mar 19th, '05, 00:35

ImageImageImage[/quote]

Britney actualyl doesn't look all that bad w/out make up. but jlo..ugh lol

Hey ,you know in your signature you have an MV clip? is that song hye kyo in there? I didn't know she was in the music industry as well, boy did that spoil my image of her. thanks a lot dude. ( :glare: :-) )

miriko

Post by miriko » Mar 19th, '05, 00:39

Hi,
I personally didnt like LGTSSD so much, but thats mostly beacuse I kept being annoyed with Bi, I like him as a singer, but imo the guy has barely any charsima as an actor.... I think he is improving, but to me he's still far from being a good actor.

I agree with what most people said, I really believe that GHJ improves on ppl after further viewing... I've seen her in a few series now, and I can say that I like her as an actress. I also like that she doesnt look as plastic as most of the actresses in kdrama today. I think the fact that she is more of an asian girl next door type might be a testament to her acting skills since she made it so far, even while being labelled a "NON-PRETTY FACED ACTOR" for whatever thats worth!!!

I think ppl judge maybe a little bit too much on looks, I still couldnt believe my Korean friends when they told me she was refered to as such...

I think its time for people to look beyond the plastic :P

That was my preachy comment for the day... please note that it wasnt meant to offend or attack anyone who has posted before me, its just my opinion :mrgreen:
Last edited by miriko on Mar 19th, '05, 00:45, edited 1 time in total.

beatfuldaes

Post by beatfuldaes » Mar 19th, '05, 00:41

Song Hye Kyo isn't in the music industry...The clips of her are from Full House...The clip on the far right side is of Jeon Ji Hyun, from a CF

haha land

Post by haha land » Mar 19th, '05, 01:40

I don't think Gong Hyo Jin is pretty but she is not ugly either. She looks a lot better than those big boobs, make up filled supporting actresses. She is unique. I liked her a lot in Volcano high and Guns and talk.

kelly...BiG

Post by kelly...BiG » Mar 21st, '05, 04:33

:-) When i first started watching sang-doo i thought she was not pretty and BI needed a prettier co-star but later in the drama...i rella liked her! her acting is very gud and tas wat matters!

zdoon
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by zdoon » Mar 21st, '05, 04:50

Personally I don't think she's pretty and I didn't like her in LGTSSD, and I didn't like show either, but she was definitely cool in Guns & Talks. :)

tokyo shounen

Post by tokyo shounen » Mar 22nd, '05, 14:57

everything is perfect in her face, maybe too perfect?

but i think she was a good choice for sang doo

tokyo shounen

Your thoughts on the sang doo ending? (Spoilers)

Post by tokyo shounen » Mar 23rd, '05, 11:53

Watched the last ep yesterday, and i have to say that im kinda disappointed... whats up with the ending!

I really love this series, probably one of my favs of all time, had everything, but why couldnt they just get to be with eachother, after all those obstancles? That they died really didnt just fit... after 16 hours of trying to get her, after 16 hours of enjoying it - they during a 10 sec scene suddenly die from a random car.. i really wanted something else... oh yeah, i cried, but it was too sudden and just dumb...

what do you think?.

snippygreat

Post by snippygreat » Mar 23rd, '05, 13:04

Well I didnt think they both died but after that the series jumped to Bori and the docter had a conversation about Sangdoo .Bori said she looked up into the sky and missed Sangdoo but she felt bad that she kind of forgot his face already bla bla... and then they jumped to the school in the country side which Sangdoo is a Janitor (probably ) trying to teach the kids and Unwan came out and told him that she would teeach the boy herself and then they cried out because she was in labour and then jumped to SAngdoo and Unwan carried the baby and walk together happily . I dont think they died and my friend also think its happy ending . and I assume from the messages on the screen pretty much like even life is so trouble but there will be one day wil shine again . Pretty much like dont give up or the things like that I am so sorry I can not be so straight because I watched this a while ago

Or I misunderstood anything ?? :O

snippygreat

Post by snippygreat » Mar 23rd, '05, 13:05

Well I didnt think they both died but after that the series jumped to Bori and the docter had a conversation about Sangdoo .Bori said she looked up into the sky and missed Sangdoo but she felt bad that she kind of forgot his face already bla bla... and then they jumped to the school in the country side which Sangdoo is a Janitor (probably ) trying to teach the kids and Unwan came out and told him that she would teeach the boy herself and then they cried out because she was in labour and then jumped to SAngdoo and Unwan carried the baby and walk together happily . I dont think they died and my friend also think its happy ending . and I assume from the messages on the screen pretty much like even life is so trouble but there will be one day wil shine again . Pretty much like dont give up or the things like that I am so sorry I can not be so straight because I watched this a while ago

Or I misunderstood anything ?? :O

tokyo shounen

Post by tokyo shounen » Mar 23rd, '05, 13:14

Oh! I thought the last scenes were in somewhat heaven, where they lived and loved eachother without any doubts, regrets and obstancles.

tokyo shounen

Post by tokyo shounen » Mar 23rd, '05, 13:49

But thinking about it. Sang-doo maybe wanted to start over again with eunhwa, he wanted to live his own life, hence did the promises with bori - and escaped with eun to what i called heaven.

But what do we do with the scene of them lying on that bloody street? Should we assume that it wasnt vital? Sounds dumb :blink

pear
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by pear » Mar 23rd, '05, 14:11

I think the scriptwriter wants a prfound ending to be open for your own interpretation.
If you think they die, they died. If you think they are living happily ever after, that's it.

In my own opinion, I think of it as Sangdoo and Eunhwan can only get together in a place called HEAVEN. It's pessimistic bt yeah, life always doesn't go your way.

MonsieurCampeur

Tip: Styles can be applied quickly to selected text.

Post by MonsieurCampeur » Mar 23rd, '05, 17:57

I too didn't like the run over by a truck ending. Had they had died in episode 1, it could have saved us from watchin all 16 episodes... But I guess they did end up together after all in their next life. Please be careful to watch for the traffic when crossing! Alasso!?

wakopin

Post by wakopin » Mar 23rd, '05, 18:27

And that my friends, is why I stick with Japanese dramas. Not as long a life investment - only 10-13 episodes and the product usually has a linear story progression without the erratic trick of fate.

nikeg

Post by nikeg » Mar 24th, '05, 09:07

the way i look at it is if you make it that they were still alive and just lived happily in the countryside with a new start then that was a great ending... but if they were in heaven and the scene takes place in heaven then i think the ending was quite stupid and uncalled for... so i believe that they were actually still alive but just with a new start :P Im happy and thats enough for me b/c i really loved this drama... watched it in 4 days in a damn busy schedule hehe.. *Addicted* plus it has the nicest OST songs...

nikeg

Post by nikeg » Mar 24th, '05, 09:51

yea i totally agree that in the beginning she doesnt fit the role... but at the middle she jus kinda rolls on to you and she gets really sweet and pretty... she is also a very great actress compared to wut ive seen elsewhere... i luved the drama and bi was also really awesome... i respect his acting abilities a lot more after this...

icurafu

Post by icurafu » Mar 26th, '05, 09:35

This title reminds me of "Scooby doo, where are you?"

ramenshop

Post by ramenshop » Mar 26th, '05, 23:45

Anyone know where can i get this series eps 5 to end?

leeunit

Post by leeunit » Mar 26th, '05, 23:49

ramenshop wrote:Anyone know where can i get this series eps 5 to end?

yeah, http://www.d-addicts.com

:D

isababy

Post by isababy » Apr 8th, '05, 03:32

Yeah I agree I was disappointed at first too. But I grew to like her, she is a talented actress, and natural. I think the role is perfect because she is not stunning, they were just normal villiage kids who grew up together and loved each other. She isn't pretty and he doesn't have big eyes.

I love her most when she cries for SangDoo, god She looked so ugly when she cries and her cry, sounds terrible. But looks so real, (but I buy it) because when I lost someone and my pet I look as ugly as her, and sound as bad too. :P

isababy

Discuss the Ending of "Let's Go to School, Sang-doo! &q

Post by isababy » Apr 8th, '05, 05:21

IF U HAVEN'T FINISHED THE DRAMA DON'T READ BELOW! DON'T RUIN IT!

I thought the ending was great and very well presented. Just wondering if anyone thought they died? Because my bf think they died and Bori (Sang Doo) daughter dreamt of them. We actually had a bet and I was happy with the ending so was he because the director really made the ending unpredicable which never happened before, Either someone dies or they live Happily Ever After.

I don't think they died, they survived the crash and this was the only way Sang Doo can give in and actually do what he deserves enjoy his life the way he wants it. So they moved back to their old home town, and lived their life that Sang Doo wanted. Bori isn't really his daughter so she stays with her mum and new family. And she often writes to her dad Sang Doo.

But i think the director is very clever, he made the ending so well presented u can think what u want.

nikeg

Post by nikeg » Apr 8th, '05, 05:50

i also believe they survived just b/c she was pregnant in the end too,,, now if u can make new life in heaven,... well i think thats just srewed up. it is alos a lot better ending if you think they survived... although it is very very debatable the way they made the ending.

tokyo shounen

Post by tokyo shounen » Apr 8th, '05, 13:42

Im really not sure about it, but i kinda agree with you.

But that sequence when they get hit is really confusing - laying together on a bloody street. Maybe they died and the last scenes were in heaven? Where they could love eachother without any obstancles, doubts and regrets.

jaycee05
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by jaycee05 » Apr 8th, '05, 18:45

I think the most discussed kdrama ending is sang-doo huh...I have seen 2-3 threads about its ending

joonggook

Post by joonggook » Apr 8th, '05, 21:05

at first i was like WHAT THA :O why, did they end it like that. i did like the way the director presented it making us think that they died. i voted, they survived b.c y would they show her getting pregnant and having a baby? since sang-doo was so stubborn, he had to have some extreme event to make him realize what he wanted in the first place. that was to start over with eun-hwan without the distractions.

this was a well made drama and filmed very well. it still had all the korean drama "have-to"s but it was less predictable. has this director filmed any other dramas? ive already ordered the dvds from yesasia.com. this drama is a keeper for my kdrama library! :lol

aNToK
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by aNToK » Apr 8th, '05, 21:17

As I understand it, the original ending had them dying but they ended up filming it open-ended like that because people hated it or something. I mean come on folks, go through all that **** for so long, and then have them get killed over him misunderstanding them walking together (or thinking that they'd be better off without him, your choice..) would be pretty weak.

So they're off in the country somewhere with their 2.5 kids and living happily together. Got it????

ramenshop

Post by ramenshop » Apr 8th, '05, 21:41

The ending i think they die. there are couple supporting fact why i believe they died:

1. given sangdoo character, there is no way sangdoo leave cha bori without any visit when he move to the country.

2. after the accident, cha bori write a letter to sangdoo saying that she is sorry that she can't remember sangdoo's face after all he has sacrificed for her so much. This mean that sangdoo is dead.
Daddy, I'm really sorry.
You worked so hard to make me healthy, but I keep forgetting you.
I'm sorry.
I love you.
I'll try to dream of you tonight.
Goodbye, Dad.
Your love, Bori.
November 4th.

3. if they were alive, wouldn't they show at least a picture of sangdoo and his gf *forgot the name* in the family picture together?

4. The last scene after they die, Sangdoo goes to school *TAKE NOTICE HERE*
(while before it was portrait that sangdoo is in jail and his gf move to other city)

5. The last scene after they die, the screen is a bit yellowish, which mean it is in dream/heaven world.

6. Look at last writting, quote:
Even when life deceits you,
Don't be sad or angry.
When the sad days passes by,
A happier day will come to you...
We believe that love is the only hope in this lonesome world,
The thankful people who have allowed,yielded, and permitted our love
We love you and you'll always be remembered
People that forgave our love...
We love you.
From Eun-whan and Sang-doo in a world without despair.

So many fact that make it believe they died although we hope that they live happily ever after in the country after the accident. :cry: :cry:

joonggook

Post by joonggook » Apr 8th, '05, 22:30

ramenshop, interesting how you explain the fact that they have indeed died. it happened so fast that i couldn't catch all the details. it does make more sense, but still like antok said, after all the doo-doo they went through how can u just kill them off right at the end??? that just doesn't make sense to me...

an argument could be said that they didn't want to be in the family picture. there were several references in earlier episodes where the doctor and others had suggested that he should leave bori so he could start fresh with eun-hwan without distraction. that way he could live his life how he wanted. both sang doo and eun hwan wanted so bad to be with each other that they were willing to cut all ties just so they could be together. they were apologizing for their love, but yet the families have forgiven them and allowed them to love the way they wanted to.

anyway, great drama tho...died, in heaven, or living - it's all good. that's how open endings are (if u saw it that way).

tokyo shounen

Post by tokyo shounen » Apr 8th, '05, 22:37

great post ramenshop, but as someone said, how the hell could the director end it that way?!!!

After have followed sangdoo for 16 hours, a 16 hours quest of trying to get her - and once he eventually does, they two die from a random car... just wtf is that?

dumb... dumb dumb

" there were several references in earlier episodes where the doctor and others had suggested that he should leave bori so he could start fresh with eun-hwan without distraction."

But as ramenshop pointed - sangdoo could never do that, leave bori

aNToK
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by aNToK » Apr 8th, '05, 22:40

Oh joy, debate time!!!! (which is pointless, since they intentionally left the ending open to inerpretation, noone needs to be wrong!)(but I just have to balance ramenshop's points)

Lessee, point by point as above:

1. Sang-Doo would definitely leave Bori if he felt it was in her best interest. Back to that last scene for example, he was walking away from both of them thinking they'd be better off without him. He knew he'd never get together with her mother, and they'd find it hard or impossible to start a new life with him in the picture. Also remember, he's not her biological father.

2. Bori's letter doesn't say anything about him dying, only that she hasn't seen him in a long while and was starting to forget him. Fits right into the theory that they moved far away for good.

3. Goes along with the above point. They would not be in the very recent family picture because they're way out in some country villiage somewhere. The whole point of them going away was to give everyone a fresh start.

4. The flashback scene. These were used throughout the drama to parallel with different things going on currently. This can just as easily be seen as a tie-in to them coming full-circle as adults (also don't forget, they both work at a school in the final scene)

5. The sepia-toned filter on the last scene is often used to show a timeshift. There were two shifts in that particular scene, first when she's getting ready to have the baby, and months later when they're walking with their little girl. (notice that the filter becomes a bit more golden as well, though you could also argue that the tone is from the rising (or setting?) sun in the background. The haze on the hills indicates to me that the fog hasn' burned off yet, so it could be seen as a symbol of their lives beginning anew from the hazy or shadowy pains in their past.

6. The final quote: Hmm... so many ways to take this one. You could say that they're writing from heaven as it were, but if you read into it a bit, it's a very positive quote about forgiveness, love, and happy days following sad. Sorry, but if they died, that just wouldn't be happy.
In a world without despair: Neither needed or wanted much out of life as far as material things. They just needed each other to be happy. For them, the despair came from the hurt and pain that their being together caused others. With no messy entanglements, there's nothing standing in their way and everone can move on. Without despair.

Actually, one of the biggest things that makes me side with the "they lived" option was their baby. To me that symbolizes their continuing love and life. It would be totally unnecessary to go that far if they had actually died. Getting on the religion thing, you'd have to believe that babies are born in Heaven/The Afterlife (depending on which way your religious bat swings). Few if any religions I'm aware of allow for offspring in the afterlife.

That was fun. More, more!!!!

tokyo shounen

Post by tokyo shounen » Apr 8th, '05, 22:47

". Sang-Doo would definitely leave Bori if he felt it was in her best interest. Back to that last scene for example, he was walking away from both of them thinking they'd be better off without him. He knew he'd never get together with her mother, and they'd find it hard or impossible to start a new life with him in the picture. Also remember, he's not her biological father. "

Yeah, thinking about it. Maybe sangdoo and eunwha already had decided to move away? Hence does the promise with bori, or was it because of the prison?

But what do we do with the accident? Should we assume that it wasnt vital? Sounds pretty dumb to me...

aNToK
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by aNToK » Apr 8th, '05, 22:58

It wouldn't make sense for them to have planned to move away. Sang-Doo saw a happy family picture without him in it and felt he had to leave. Her running after him and him trying to save her from the truck galvanized their need to be together. At least that's my take on it. At that point, Sang-Doo realized that she really couldn't live without him, so they went away after they got better. Who knows? You could always argue that the good doctor helped them make everyone believe that they'd died after the accident so that there would be no ties to hold on to for Bori's mom, etc. I don't really see that one happening, but hey, it's another theory....

joonggook

Post by joonggook » Apr 8th, '05, 22:58

thank you antok for bringing those other points into consideration siding on the "they lived" ending. i just watched it last nite for the first time and haven't had time to formulate a really strong argument on the fact that i believe that SD and EH lived. i'm definitely open to the other side. it'll be good to hear why people think they died.

debates are healthy and give us all a good chance to see different views. everybody has a free voice and opinion. i mean, duh, this is a forum for discussion. let's not make it personal. :-)

aNToK
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by aNToK » Apr 8th, '05, 23:02

Funny, the first time I watched this one, I was so pissed at the way it seemed to end that I went back and researched as much as I could of it regarding the ending. That's how I learned what I posted in my first post here. Originally, they were supposed to die, but that was changed to the version we've all seen. Again, no wrong answers, but I choose to believe that they lived. (Hey, why make the change only to have them die anyway, right??)

bone-doll
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by bone-doll » Apr 9th, '05, 00:35

I assumed they lived because they moved away from the city into the countryside, and thus, I assumed it was the place that the principal had recommended Sang Doo to as a security guard. (From some earlier episode when Sand Doo was getting fired for bashing Ji-hwan up.) Thus, if they were to live there, they must be alive to be actually be there... :unsure: Something like that. I didn't really think about it much. :lol

ramenshop

Post by ramenshop » Apr 9th, '05, 00:46

after closely rewatch eps16, i notice 1 more thing:

After the crash, looks at Sangdoo Uncle reaction closely.

In reality, if your cousin died in the accident and you are on the spot of the accident, you will do exactly like the uncle in the movie. He check his pulse/breath and then sigh if they are indeed dead. Plus the doctor in the spot doesn't show any sign of asking for people to call hospital or call hospital by himself. The doctor is in the scene of the accident to confirm the viewer that they are indeed dead plus show how sangdoo's affection affect other people greatly.

If indeed they are not dead yet, they will quickly get call hospital using cellphone or shout asking people to call hospital ASAP.

This is 1 more scene that will support that sangdoo and eun-whan is indeed dead in the story.

Well, this series is good drama and the ending just left open for viewer to intrepret it. :lol

aNToK
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by aNToK » Apr 9th, '05, 07:20

Um, the uncle didn't check for a pulse or anything, nor did the doctor when he appeared from the right. Neither did anything really to check to see if they were alive or not. They both looked shocked and grieved. Hate to say, not everyone starts yelling for 911, etc. at the scene of an accident. Oftentimes people react just like the uncle and Doctor here did; stunned disbelief....

If we really want to nitpick, notice that she was running much faster than the truck was going (look at the lug nuts on the truck's tires related to her leg speed), plus the fact that the truck was obviously coming to a stop before the crosswalk (look at the ground when the wheels stopped), then notice where the bodies landed (less than 5 or so feet from where they were standing, less if you include the little pirouette move he does). No way does the truck have enough speed to do fatal damage to them.

To get real nitpicky, notice that if she didn't slow down, she would never have gotten hit in the first place? Heh. I'm surprised microphone head didn't show up somewhere in that scene to make it complete :P

It's called suspension of disbelief, you know...

tokyo shounen

Post by tokyo shounen » Apr 9th, '05, 13:44

doesnt surprise me that you are female :D myself think she is gorgeous, on my top 5

ninababy

Post by ninababy » Apr 10th, '05, 08:08

i thought it was great how this drama ended coz i could think what i want with regards to whether they lived or died......though im leaning more towards them dying...more romantic that way, i guess plus i cant help but think...how big is Korea anyway? how come they wouldnt see eachother for even small visits?.....even Min Suk who could definitely afford to travel anywhere couldnt go? well i guess that would be a little akward...but still he has formed a bond with Sangdoo....so why wouldnt it be alright after everything is forgiven?.... its anybody's guess....

anyway, what i kept thinking about was how i wished they ended it with Bori all grown up ang seeing Min Suk out of the blue and them ending up with their own story......now for me, watching that unfold would be worth spending another 16 hours on..:)

thank you bludawn for this great drama. :)

tokyo shounen

Post by tokyo shounen » Apr 11th, '05, 14:09

"Actually i also thot they survived......
but.......
when i watched it the second time....i think they did die......
coz LDG went to his house and said that he could only feel that he can see Bi
when he's at his house....and he looked up the sky........feeling sorta sad!!!
Their family members....no one seem to be talking abt them............

and if you recall...............
their countryside life was like a blurrrr picture..............
so serene and peaceful w/o any disturbances!!!!!
So i believe they died and are in paradise enjoying each other!!!!!

ps....from what i know.....koreans believe in life after death........ "

joonggook

Post by joonggook » Apr 11th, '05, 17:42

i've been reading all the latest posts on the discussion of the ending. again, it's really amazing that the director left the ending open to interpretation. there's obviously people with strong conviction that they lived (including me) and others who think they died.

i've watched the ending twice and can see evidence that can lead one to believe they died or that they lived. there's definitely a lot of interesting camera work and color change to lead you in a certain direction. the dialogue is very vague also and is open to many interpretations. the whole thing about the family not talking about them - that could be the case that they agreed to not talk about them. the whole last "letter" or "quote" at the end is really left open ended and depends on how you viewed the prior scenes.

again, a wonderful drama...can't wait to watch it again... :D

pankanshe

Post by pankanshe » Apr 12th, '05, 02:05

Mean, but I think either ending of sucks.. very typical. I thought they died, if they had lived Bori would be with them.

kazuni

Post by kazuni » Apr 12th, '05, 15:00

I also think they died. again, I still think it's a good ending either/or, but to me, i'd choose them dead tho, making the story that little more interesting...

isababy

Post by isababy » Apr 13th, '05, 05:09

Wow it is great to see everyone's option, and scene I might have ignored. I've watched the ending a couple of times. At first I did thought exactly as what “Ramenshop” explained that they died. But I totally agree with aNTok’s explanation. There is another thing I noticed, when SangDoo and Eunwha walked up the hill top in the end, Eunwha said I have to go back to the Center (Clinic – I have English and Chinese subtitles so I believe they didn’t translate it wrong from Korean) in 15 days. So she means after giving birth to the baby she still needs to go back to the Clinic with the baby for checkup. To me if they died they would keep it simple and not so detailed. I don’t think in heaven one needs to go to clinic to check up her new born baby.

The other thing is, Bori never knew that SangDoo was working as a School security gard so to me it is unlikely that she can dream about what she never knew. Just not that logical to me. And I personally I like happy endings because they both deserve it.

WhiteboyLoveAsian

Post by WhiteboyLoveAsian » Apr 15th, '05, 02:39

I'm not sure about the ending.

What intreguing me is that at the accident of the scene only Sang-Doo has blood came out of his head. He has a natural matial art reflex so he must had took the hit from the truck and landed on himself first to proctect his lover. It is nearly impossible for both of them to die since he has his arms around her.

Bori couldn't remember his father's face because she is a child. It takes only a year or in most case shorter to forget someone's face when a child is in at that stage.

then again.

They didn't show up in the family picture

The flash back sceen of Sang-doo came out of the house to go to school is also interesting.

The Director shot the scene of Sang-Doo scolding the kids for stealing farm crops in a blur yellow color that look like he's showing a dream or something that isn't reality.

I do want to believe they survived but then again it's just a movie.

By the way I LOVE the actress who play as the role of Eun-hwa, the way she cries is very convincing.

Funkie_dayZ

Post by Funkie_dayZ » Apr 15th, '05, 02:45

i think they survived but then they lost their memory... so that's y bori is not with them... dats my assumption ah.. lolx!!

kelly...BiG

Post by kelly...BiG » Apr 15th, '05, 03:30

I VOTED TAT THEY DIDN'T DIE...BUT TRUE THE ENDING IS SO FUSTRATING TAT I'M STILL SO LOST! :crazy:

xdodox

Post by xdodox » Apr 16th, '05, 04:33

ramenshop wrote:The ending i think they die. there are couple supporting fact why i believe they died:

1. given sangdoo character, there is no way sangdoo leave cha bori without any visit when he move to the country.

2. after the accident, cha bori write a letter to sangdoo saying that she is sorry that she can't remember sangdoo's face after all he has sacrificed for her so much. This mean that sangdoo is dead.
Daddy, I'm really sorry.
You worked so hard to make me healthy, but I keep forgetting you.
I'm sorry.
I love you.
I'll try to dream of you tonight.
Goodbye, Dad.
Your love, Bori.
November 4th.

3. if they were alive, wouldn't they show at least a picture of sangdoo and his gf *forgot the name* in the family picture together?

4. The last scene after they die, Sangdoo goes to school *TAKE NOTICE HERE*
(while before it was portrait that sangdoo is in jail and his gf move to other city)

5. The last scene after they die, the screen is a bit yellowish, which mean it is in dream/heaven world.

6. Look at last writting, quote:
Even when life deceits you,
Don't be sad or angry.
When the sad days passes by,
A happier day will come to you...
We believe that love is the only hope in this lonesome world,
The thankful people who have allowed,yielded, and permitted our love
We love you and you'll always be remembered
People that forgave our love...
We love you.
From Eun-whan and Sang-doo in a world without despair.

So many fact that make it believe they died although we hope that they live happily ever after in the country after the accident. :cry: :cry:
i agree with wuh it said above. i do believe they died and i like the ending like that. giving them both a second chance the way they want it. happily and peacefully, no distractions or anything. :)

aNToK
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by aNToK » Apr 16th, '05, 06:57

They live, they live!!!!!!

*covers ears with hands* LALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALA

dima
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by dima » Apr 16th, '05, 12:06

Either I have a severe case of amnesia or I got confused and didn't download or watch some episodes in the end? The ending (admittedly I don't remember what happened last) seemed inconclusive to me and I thought that the girl went on with her doctor boyfriend and Sang-doo gave her up.

can someone tell me if that sounds like I didn't watch some episodes?

bere

Post by bere » Apr 16th, '05, 18:15

dima, I think you missed either the very last episode or a couple of episodes.

hacksign

Post by hacksign » Apr 16th, '05, 19:21

If they had ended it with the car crash it would have been easier to just assumed that they were dead but since they added that scene in the end it seems questionable. For me, when I saw that they were hit with the truck, I naturally thought they died which would have been an okay but inconclusive ending. I personally like how they concluded it while still indicating how they might be dead. Of course it was intentional and we can never know what their true intentions are but I still want believe that they really died and they ending was used to wrap everything up. The reason I believe this is

1. While Sang-doo may have given Bori up (which I really can't believe he would do because there was a time when Sang-doo told Eun-hwan that he can't abandon Bori for her) it seems unbelievable that everyone else would just rather forget about them. No one was speaking about them as if though they didn't exist. If they were alive, it doesn't make everyone else seem much like the forgiving people does it? Also the doctor would return to Sang-doo's old house everything he missed him--staring ahead with a sad expression. Why doesn't he just visit them if they were really alive?

2. The last quote from Sang-doo and Eun-hwan pretty much suggest they're dead. It doesn't seem to be address to anyone in particular so you have to doubt that it's a letter they're sending out. It's basically addressed to everyone: The thankful people who have allowed,yielded, and permitted our love or People that forgave our love... Also the last sentence: From Sang-doo and Eun-hwan in a world without despair. Logically here, if they were still alive no matter where they go, they would still be in the same world they were previously in. The whole quote would really be out of place if they were really alive.

Yeah, there are other reasons but those were the two that convinced me that they were dead.

kazuni

Post by kazuni » Apr 16th, '05, 20:55

hacksign wrote:If they had ended it with the car crash it would have been easier to just assumed that they were dead but since they added that scene in the end it seems questionable. For me, when I saw that they were hit with the truck, I naturally thought they died which would have been an okay but inconclusive ending. I personally like how they concluded it while still indicating how they might be dead. Of course it was intentional and we can never know what their true intentions are but I still want believe that they really died and they ending was used to wrap everything up. The reason I believe this is

1. While Sang-doo may have given Bori up (which I really can't believe he would do because there was a time when Sang-doo told Eun-hwan that he can't abandon Bori for her) it seems unbelievable that everyone else would just rather forget about them. No one was speaking about them as if though they didn't exist. If they were alive, it doesn't make everyone else seem much like the forgiving people does it? Also the doctor would return to Sang-doo's old house everything he missed him--staring ahead with a sad expression. Why doesn't he just visit them if they were really alive?

2. The last quote from Sang-doo and Eun-hwan pretty much suggest they're dead. It doesn't seem to be address to anyone in particular so you have to doubt that it's a letter they're sending out. It's basically addressed to everyone: The thankful people who have allowed,yielded, and permitted our love or People that forgave our love... Also the last sentence: From Sang-doo and Eun-hwan in a world without despair. Logically here, if they were still alive no matter where they go, they would still be in the same world they were previously in. The whole quote would really be out of place if they were really alive.

Yeah, there are other reasons but those were the two that convinced me that they were dead.
nice analysis! those are the ideas that came from my thought as well, tho i never could've put it into words. what you said about the last quote is definitely what i was thinking as well - they wouldn't have said that thei're in a world without despair if they're still not dead....

WhiteboyLoveAsian

Post by WhiteboyLoveAsian » Apr 17th, '05, 01:12

I give the ending a long thought.

Does it matter if they died or not?

What matter in the end is their eternal happiness. When I look it that way I don't see a reason why to debate over their survival or death.

aNToK
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by aNToK » Apr 17th, '05, 01:39

Always figured that this one should end in a tie, and so far it is!

Ain't interpretation a wonderful thing? Just to be a butt, I'll counterpoint Hacksign's eloquent points: Sang-Doo giving up Bori: At the point he said that to Eun Hwa, the choice appeared to be to go with the baby's mom and Bori, or her. He wouldn't leave her fatherless, but his sense of responsibility would definitely allow him to leave her if there was a good man to be her father, as there was by the time he got out of jail. Remember, no blood ties there.... As far as the family not mentioning them, they made a clean break from the family to start a life with just the two of them. As the intention was to never see any of them again, it only makes sense. The whole purpose of their leaving was to put them out of their minds. The doctor visiting Sang-Doo's old place simply confirms that they won't be seeing them again, not that they're dead.

That last quote can be debated ad nauseum. It was simply Sang-Doo an Eun-Hwa's final thoughts and forgiveness for those that had hurt them, and that they had hurt. Kind of a "Dear John" type of thing to show that they're now happy together.

Exactly where they're happy? That's all up to you....

jellybean

Post by jellybean » Apr 17th, '05, 13:13

I think that they survived the crash for all the reasons that were stated already. That is my own interpretation and as already agreed upon, the director shot it to be open to interpretation.

Reasons for why Min Suk/anyone didn't visit them was purely because Sang Doo and Eun Hwan needed to cut ties with everybody so they could love each other, look at all the problems they endured with those people when they were in their lives hence why in the letter they said "thank you to those who forgave our love". Min suk looked sadly into the distance because he built up a good friendship with Sang Doo and missed him.

Also indeed, why would there be such details mentioned such as visiting the clinic if they were in heaven? The scene between those two at the end does resemble a 'heaven' setting, but I think it is 'their' heaven of simply being together but they haven't actually died.

Sang Doo not being with Bori anymore makes perfect sense, he wanted her to have a stable family environment - he wouldn't be able to provide that if he stayed with her because he felt that he would have to marry Sera, and he didn't want to do so. As one scene shows when Bori asks her father what he wanted to be reborn as when he died, he said "to be your daddy again" and she said "I change my mind, if I was to be reborn, I want to be your daughter again, and you would marry mommy", at this point, Sang Doo's face changes as he realises that he had to give Bori up before he complicated things further for her - growing up with parents who didn't love each other. The Bori situation became resolved anyway through Sera meeting that guy with the son called 'Sang Doo' who seemed to a good father, willing to pay for her hospital bills etc.

Bori not being able to remember her fathers face was because she's in a stable family now, she's happy and not seeing someone for so long at that young age - you forget.

Eun Hwan was not her mother's daughter through blood, her mother understood that her love for Sang Doo was completely unconditional and now it was time to make amends with her blood daughter - which was Sera.

The drama was really moving and original, I thought it was so unlike other korean dramas for the right reasons *such as a crazy storyline and overly psychotic antagonists*, but it was like other korean dramas also for the right reasons *had just the right amount of mush* - but yes, it was very mature and dealed with so many issues.

WhiteboyLoveAsian

Post by WhiteboyLoveAsian » Apr 17th, '05, 21:01

OH MY GOD THIS COULD GO ON FOREVER.

jaycee05
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by jaycee05 » Apr 17th, '05, 21:57

So far, every point that was made could be countered with another reasoning
This is one of the best indeterminate endings I've ever seen...
The writer pulled it off such that one can't really find any holes that would favor one ending to the other...that's the whole point isn't it?
But f u watched MiSa(the same writer for Sang-Doo) u might see a pattern of some sort

aNToK
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by aNToK » Apr 17th, '05, 22:01

Oh fun, more Sang-Doo!

Actually, if someone could pm me with their interpretation of what the heck happened at the end of the J-series "Unmarried Family", I'd love to hear some views on that one. Not popular enough for it's own thread though, I think.

kazuni

Post by kazuni » Apr 17th, '05, 22:21

jaycee05 wrote:So far, every point that was made could be countered with another reasoning
This is one of the best indeterminate endings I've ever seen...
The writer pulled it off such that one can't really find any holes that would favor one ending to the other...that's the whole point isn't it?
But f u watched MiSa(the same writer for Sang-Doo) u might see a pattern of some sort
yup. same writer yields simlar ideas - identity issues/orphans(parental relationships)/love triangles/death (well this is a given for a lot of dramas) - but still, both are quite unique in its way and i like them both :)

kapompom

Post by kapompom » Apr 17th, '05, 23:00

Interesting article that I found from Misa's fansite made by Saturn..-> http://myhome.naver.com/sannycho/misa/s ... per_07.htm

Writer's message

While I wanted to show beautiful and basic love in 'Sangdoo let's go to school,
this time, I want to show 'How much a love can be creepy'.
Already there were a creepy, tough and durable love between family members,
but the love between man and woman are always beautiful and fantastic, or extremely opposing.
I want to describe an actual love which falls down to the ground.
This drama was planned 1 year ago.
Same as 'Sangdoo~' the main role dies, but it's not the same.
This time, it reaches to the reconciliation and forgiveness through death.
Moo Hyuk is abandoned again and again, he tries to revenge to his half brother Yoon,
but he meets Eunchai, a white and clean girl, he changes his mind.
Yoon was Moo Hyuk's knocking down target, but he donates his organ to Yoon and dies.
Moo Hyuk symbolizes 'Negative', while Eunchai symbolizes 'Possitive'.
A negative meets possitive, then it's changed. So a death is inserted.

I don't want to teach viewers, but I hope people catch and taste the hidden message
of forgiveness and reconciliation.

Money Today star news Nov/11/2004

So? :|

aNToK
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by aNToK » Apr 18th, '05, 01:26

Hehe, nice one. I was wondering when someone would bring that up. The fact is that as the drama was originally written, they both DO die.

That ending was changed before it's release to reflect the final one we see today.

So to add to the point from (I think) the first page, you could argue that because the original ending had them die that they die. I'll counter with the view that if they were to die, they wouldn't have changed the ending in the first place.

Oh, and before you mention that the quote was from after Sang-Doo had been released, I'll point out that since he had written the original ending, he was referring to that one as a point to compare and contrast with MISA. (Oh, btw, that dude from MISA lived too. He's working as a bouncer at Disney's new Gentleman's Club over in Okinawa....) :P

btw, I've had MISA around for months and avoided the spoiler threads for it since I haven't watched it yet. Thanks for the spoiler there. :-(
Oh well, my bad I guess for not making the time....
Isn't tragic love fun? We could do this for days... (Oh wait, we have been!!!!)

AsianblueX

Post by AsianblueX » Apr 18th, '05, 02:16

my vote? is neither well... they both died however they show them the live they should of had together