[Discussion] JIN (Osawa Takao, Ayase Haruka, Uchino Masaaki)

Discuss Japanese drama series here.
celticmoon

Post by celticmoon » Nov 4th, '09, 01:08

Just to be nitpicky, or not so nitpicky, the Edo period is not ancient times, lol.

And I'm not going to go back and check, but I think Jin has used both "ore" and "watashi," and he's perhaps thrown a "boku" or two around here and there as well.

Anyway, I'm loving this drama. It's the absolute best of the season, and the best of the year as well. (Well, this year was a pretty weak year for me... so it's miles better than any drama that I would put at second place for this year.) I'm surprised I love this drama so much since I am usually bored by jidaigekis and other historical dramas, but I suppose this really isn't a traditional jidaigeki anyway. Obviously the time travel element is nothing original, but I like the uncertainty of whether or not his actions will truly change the course of history. Though episode 4 seems to confirm that his actions do in fact have some sort of effect, even if it is very slight.

furransu
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by furransu » Nov 4th, '09, 04:19

some strange scenes in ep4..
what was that on the 20th minute where someone was trying to perform an operation??

and on the 39th minute, some strange person walked passed.. hmm

anyone might know?

shioki

Post by shioki » Nov 4th, '09, 05:29

the current shogun, iemochi died from beriberi.
Jin's gonna change how that shogun die in the show.
furransu wrote:some strange scenes in ep4..
what was that on the 20th minute where someone was trying to perform an operation??

anyone might know?
that person in the 20th min and 39th min might be the same person.
i've read somewhere that the guy is suppose to be treating the women in yoshibara, but they all died, so some rumour spread that the doc killed them

popoycanton

Post by popoycanton » Nov 4th, '09, 05:33

anyone might know?
probably a subplot
a deranged character inspirated by jin's scalpel work who probably decided to cut people up on his own

SMAPcracklepop

Post by SMAPcracklepop » Nov 4th, '09, 06:18

To add to the pronoun discussion: referring to oneself with one's own name (like Saki does frequently) isn't necessarily more polite. It's really just another way of speech, but is only done by younger women. It's very girly, and today mainly only used by teenaged girls.

This drama is especially interesting to me because I'm a medical student. I'm only a first year, but a lot of the stuff he talks about, like beriberi is stuff we have learned about so it's super exciting for me! :mrgreen: For next episode though, the fact that he knows how to mass produce penicillin is...interesting :blink But I'm still hooked on the drama!

BTW, the woman Jin sees at the end of the episode has advanced syphilis. I wonder if they are trying to make some real life historical connection, because the first person to discover the bacteria that causes syphilis was Japanese, and the first antibiotic used to treat syphilis (before even penicillin) was developed by a Japanese scientist too. :scratchchin:

hectic3

Post by hectic3 » Nov 4th, '09, 08:40

SMAPcracklepop wrote: BTW, the woman Jin sees at the end of the episode has advanced syphilis. I wonder if they are trying to make some real life historical connection, because the first person to discover the bacteria that causes syphilis was Japanese, and the first antibiotic used to treat syphilis (before even penicillin) was developed by a Japanese scientist too. :scratchchin:
Haha, you are right. The guy who discovered the strain is Hideyo Noguchi and he is the pride of Fukushima Prefecture. In the town where he was born, they preserved his childhood home and have build a pretty large museum with a robotic caricature of him (very scary looking btw) explaining the stuff he did.

You can see his face on many goods and I have even seen a Sapporo beer can with his face on it. :D He is currently on the Japanese 1000 yen note. For more info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hideyo_Noguchi

fleng

Post by fleng » Nov 4th, '09, 09:41

Oh the episodes are getting better and better! It's brilliant. The characters are just so brilliant, even the child actors.

Can't wait for the next episode. By Far the best dorama of this year and yes I'm sounding like a broken record :) .

shioki

Post by shioki » Nov 4th, '09, 11:21

Indeed. The kid who acted as Kiichi is pretty good, and he's only 8 this year!
SMAPcracklepop wrote:BTW, the woman Jin sees at the end of the episode has advanced syphilis. I wonder if they are trying to make some real life historical connection, because the first person to discover the bacteria that causes syphilis was Japanese, and the first antibiotic used to treat syphilis (before even penicillin) was developed by a Japanese scientist too. :scratchchin:
wow..I didn't know that. Thats why I love watching ancient dramas...its a good way to expand my history knowledge. :D

avieamber
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by avieamber » Nov 4th, '09, 11:47

this series is really engaging, which I find very rare especially when it comes to ancient dramas. Actually this is my very first ancient Japanese drama. ^^ And it exceeded my expectations right from the introduction in the 1st epi.

Up till ep4 and I'm wanting more and more! I'm a student in Microbiology and seeing how it relates to my study (preview ep5) I'm looking forward to the methods he will use xD :lol

fseventh

Post by fseventh » Nov 4th, '09, 12:12

I'm totally loving the 4th episode. It's really great, how they also input the story about "red light district" in the past. Made me learn about the culture from different point of view. I got a goosebumps when I saw the picture of Jin and Miki in the end.

Amazing is not enough to describe this series, from actors, music, setting, plot.... are just simply not an ordinary drama.

noobee

Post by noobee » Nov 4th, '09, 13:35

nice drama

popoycanton

Post by popoycanton » Nov 4th, '09, 17:34

SMAPcracklepop wrote:To add to the pronoun discussion: referring to oneself with one's own name (like Saki does frequently) isn't necessarily more polite. It's really just another way of speech, but is only done by younger women. It's very girly, and today mainly only used by teenaged girls.

This drama is especially interesting to me because I'm a medical student. I'm only a first year, but a lot of the stuff he talks about, like beriberi is stuff we have learned about so it's super exciting for me! :mrgreen: For next episode though, the fact that he knows how to mass produce penicillin is...interesting :blink But I'm still hooked on the drama!

BTW, the woman Jin sees at the end of the episode has advanced syphilis. I wonder if they are trying to make some real life historical connection, because the first person to discover the bacteria that causes syphilis was Japanese, and the first antibiotic used to treat syphilis (before even penicillin) was developed by a Japanese scientist too. :scratchchin:
Aha that's the answer I was looking for, so its because she's younger and female.

I'm also in the medical field & the Penicillin stuff will be a good treat.

hey9

Post by hey9 » Nov 4th, '09, 17:35

About the topic title - I hadn't heard of Osawa before this drama, so I just put the two people that I have seen in previous dramas :D Ratings were excellent again for the 4th ep. I'm surprised, I think all of the dramas I've watched, after the first episode the ratings go down.

SPOILERS EP05:
I was kind of waiting for the Saki-Miki showdown...CATFIGHT! CATFIGHT! LOL!

About the red-light district - so that's basically where the prostitutes hang out, right? What was up with that girl Kyotaro was staring at? Did they have sexy times? :whistling:

Also - what's up with that guy with the scalpel? It looked like he was cutting some girl up?

popoycanton

Post by popoycanton » Nov 4th, '09, 18:00

Guys, when Jin was explaining about the subdural hematoma, he said it comes about in a few weeks and Ryoma seems like he was in a daze about the "a few weeks" phrase. So, does this mean that in that time period, they don't know what a week is or did they even have a way of telling the calendar?

cantabileblue

Post by cantabileblue » Nov 5th, '09, 03:11

Great drama! Just finish episode 4. It was kind of creepy to watch that other person cutting that girl in minute 20 and its almost sure its going to give some problems to our doctor.
Im trilled with the way things are developing between the characters, and I hope the other Miki (I dont remember the name of the courtesan), wont meddle too much in the plot (I dont really like her).
Anyway, episode 5 looks awesome to me. I love to watch Jin improvising ways to obtain all the things he needs.

Hachiko-chan

Post by Hachiko-chan » Nov 5th, '09, 09:01

About the way Nokaze speaks.
The pleasure quarters were like a world of their own, they had their own way of speaking. For example the same method in Kyoto where the maiko and geiko speaks kyoto-ben which sounds completely different then what you would normally hear.
The reason was simple, if a girl would run away she would be recognised by the way she speaks and then returned to the brothel.
The gilr was a prostitute most likely smitten with Kyotaro and yes Edo's famed Yoshiwara was the red lights district
I'm so in love with this drama I've had a crush on Osawa Takao for a while now, the man ages like fine wine :wub: and Misia's song is so perfect.

seirin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by seirin » Nov 5th, '09, 09:57

hey9 wrote:About the topic title - I hadn't heard of Osawa before this drama, so I just put the two people that I have seen in previous dramas :D Ratings were excellent again for the 4th ep. I'm surprised, I think all of the dramas I've watched, after the first episode the ratings go down.
Osawa has been in a few dramas. But he seems to be doing movies more than dramas. I first saw him in Hoshii no Kinka. I didn't like him so much cuz he was competing with Takenouchi for the girl :P He's in Goemon that was released on dvd. The story isn't great but it's an all star cast. The girl miki and Osawa have been in another movie together. It's a pretty nice romance movie I think. "Christmas on July 24th Avenue".

lunas

Post by lunas » Nov 5th, '09, 14:30

This is my first Osawa's drama, I watched the movie Ichi with him and Ayase Haruka and was really impressed at all. So far this is my favorite for this season.

wmcnair370

Post by wmcnair370 » Nov 5th, '09, 15:10

avieamber wrote:this series is really engaging, which I find very rare especially when it comes to ancient dramas. Actually this is my very first ancient Japanese drama. ^^ And it exceeded my expectations right from the introduction in the 1st epi.
Ancient! Not! If the US War Between The States is ancient US history then Jin is ancient Japanese history, but it is taking place in the 1860's, so that is hardly ancient.

raven_frost

Post by raven_frost » Nov 5th, '09, 15:45

The girl that was staring at Kyotaro in ep4 looks like she knows him and doesn't seem to like him.

Jin's makes nice entertainment this fall. It's been at least two seasons since there was a good drama to watch. I personally don't care for what happens between Jin and Saki though.

The latest issue of the manga #16 came out early last month.
I think it covers the part where Jin tries to prevent Ryoma from getting assassinated even though it may change history.
popoycanton in the old days, measurements of units like volume, length, time was counted differently than the present. There was also no specific notion of weeks I believe until after the Meiji government took over after the overthrow of the shogunate and abolished the old calendar.

Issy

Post by Issy » Nov 5th, '09, 17:15

seirin wrote:Osawa has been in a few dramas. But he seems to be doing movies more than dramas. I first saw him in Hoshii no Kinka. I didn't like him so much cuz he was competing with Takenouchi for the girl
it's all the same for me too. even though he had quiet decent character (comparing to Takenouchi's playboy character) but still he could not change my mind about him. :P but i am liking him here at the moment.

devillicious

Post by devillicious » Nov 5th, '09, 21:59

anyone might know?
The first person that came to my mind when I saw the scene 20:33 was Saburi Yusuke (Kiritani Kenta). He's the one who watches Jin closely and was admiring the scalpel. -- a scalpel was used on that girl. Not only that, but he wasn't in the group of medical people who were talking about where Jin got his knowledge from. Just my thoughts. Anyone else have any ideas?
This is an amazing drama. Though, three times I was watching it while eating my supper and that's not a good combination. Food + Jin's operations = bleh! I felt ill when stuffing my face while Jin was operating. :crazy:

noobee

Post by noobee » Nov 5th, '09, 22:00

nice drama!

lenrasoon

Post by lenrasoon » Nov 6th, '09, 20:24

episode 4 was very good and i'm still enjoying this drama, i can't wait to watch the next episode, the preview looks thrilling!
oh and i love reading everyone thoughts here since there are some scenes i don't get it at first :D

hey9

Post by hey9 » Nov 7th, '09, 00:49

devillicious wrote:
The first person that came to my mind when I saw the scene 20:33 was Saburi Yusuke (Kiritani Kenta). He's the one who watches Jin closely and was admiring the scalpel. -- a scalpel was used on that girl. Not only that, but he wasn't in the group of medical people who were talking about where Jin got his knowledge from. Just my thoughts. Anyone else have any ideas?
:
I really hope not, but he does seem a bit weird, like when Kiichi's mom got hit in the head with that horse, the way he was examining her didn't look very doctorly to me. A mad doctor more interested in performing experiments than healing, maybe?
I really don't watch a lot of j-movies, and the ones I do watch it's usually because an actor for a jdrama is in it hohoho, but I'm downloading Ichi (Osawa, Ayase) and Cyborg She (Ayase, Koide) right now, will watch over the weekend. BTW, did anyone watch the JIN SP that mikaljan uploaded? Was anything interesting said?
raven_frost wrote:The latest issue of the manga #16 came out early last month.
So the manga is not done yet? Is this normal for manga -> jdrama adaptations? Does anyone know how far the jdrama will go? It seems like they should finish the manga first :glare:

furransu
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by furransu » Nov 7th, '09, 01:02

he's in Goemon too btw, so if you've seen Goemon you should have noticed him :)

fseventh

Post by fseventh » Nov 7th, '09, 01:45

I think it's normal that some dramas are finished before the original manga finished. For example like Mei-chan no shitsuji, basically they got the concept and created not exactly the same storyline.

raven_frost

Post by raven_frost » Nov 7th, '09, 02:10

hey9 wrote: So the manga is not done yet? Is this normal for manga -> jdrama adaptations? Does anyone know how far the jdrama will go? It seems like they should finish the manga first :glare:
It is common for some drama adaptations. There are two routes that TBS might take depending on their agreement reached with the writer and publisher of the manga. They could either wait until the manga is completed which means producing follow-up sequels or SPs or concluding the drama in one season. With the ratings this good, I think it is possible that TBS would hope to bring it back for another season. They have been trailing the pack for several seasons with the exception of Mr Brain.

At this moment, it would seem that episode 5 of the story covers up to #4 in the series.

hectic3

Post by hectic3 » Nov 8th, '09, 13:10

Another week, another ep of JIN! Thankfully this week Keyhole TV was pretty good and it didn't stop all that much. An interesting episode nonetheless, but somehow it feels a bit slower than the previous 4 episodes. It picks up a little at the end and lays the foundation for some bigger plot movements in the next ep.

How did anyone else find it?

raven_frost

Post by raven_frost » Nov 8th, '09, 15:38

It was sentimental, nostalgic but not overdone. There was quite a bit of reminiscing in this episode which helped to establish the backgrounds of Nokaze and Miki as well as their personalities.
There's going to be a big battle at the institute to get rid of Jin. The jealousy and resentment that has been building up among some of the doctors will get free rein ... I guess that will eventually lead to him setting up his own clinic.

seirin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by seirin » Nov 8th, '09, 18:52

for those who missed the show this morning. Ep5 is up on streaming websites.
http://video.aol.ca/video-detail/jin-20 ... IDLRVENT03

shioki

Post by shioki » Nov 9th, '09, 07:19

ep5 managed to obtain a high rating of 20.3 yesterday :thumleft: ep5 continues to be interesting and informative as usual.
I didn't knew producing penicillin in the past has such a low success rate. Whats the tube nokaze is looking through in every ep, the one given to her by her senior? a kaleidoscope?
raven_frost wrote:
There's going to be a big battle at the institute to get rid of Jin. The jealousy and resentment that has been building up among some of the doctors will get free rein ... I guess that will eventually lead to him setting up his own clinic.
thats kind of like hospital politics except its in the edo period.

furransu
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by furransu » Nov 9th, '09, 07:42

20.3% ! its going up and up and up!! best drama this season :D

popoycanton

Post by popoycanton » Nov 9th, '09, 08:53

looks like ep6 is gonna be packed.

Anyway who is the guy on the far left, we haven't seen him yet, what role does he play?

ep4 They did a reference to akegarsu (crows at daybreak). Tiger & dragon (rakugo dorama, one of my favorites) had an episode about this & I sort of get the reference in Jin ep4, but can anybody explain further? Why was it not funny anymore according to Ryoma? thanks.

xploring

Post by xploring » Nov 9th, '09, 09:49

popoycanton wrote:looks like ep6 is gonna be packed.

Anyway who is the guy on the far left, we haven't seen him yet, what role does he play?
He is a famous firefighter, who is respected by the (future/last) shogun. At one stage, he had 3000 men under his command for firefighting around Edo, if I remember correctly from the manga.

In episode 1, he appeared when Saki was pretending to be a mid-wife to get past his men.

popoycanton

Post by popoycanton » Nov 9th, '09, 11:46

I see, so he was the one in the palanquin.

auroragb

Post by auroragb » Nov 9th, '09, 22:29

I'm definitely on the bandwagon. I've not seen a drama improve like this in ratings since Nobuta! Go! Jin! Go!

cantabileblue

Post by cantabileblue » Nov 10th, '09, 23:54

Just ending episode 5. Great as always, and I hope this drama keepp improving! Its way intersting. Its my first time that I try to learn before hand about the topics ( in this case medical references) that are going to be shown. Thats how interesting is for me.
The previws for next episode make me wonder whats going to happen at last, good way for keeping me waiting for next episode.

hey9

Post by hey9 » Nov 11th, '09, 01:37

raven_frost wrote:It is common for some drama adaptations. There are two routes that TBS might take depending on their agreement reached with the writer and publisher of the manga. They could either wait until the manga is completed which means producing follow-up sequels or SPs or concluding the drama in one season. With the ratings this good, I think it is possible that TBS would hope to bring it back for another season. They have been trailing the pack for several seasons with the exception of Mr Brain.
Thanks for the info, raven_frost. I hope they do a second series, I never enjoy SPs as much. They always seem like they're tacked on. But with the ratings so good, why wouldn't they want to do another series? Milk this baby for all it's worth XD
I agree that this episode was slower than the last. I'm not a big fan of Miki - her face freaks me out. And after watching ICHI...well...go Saki! I always thought Ayase Haruka looked like an airhead, but she is really starting to grow on me. Osawa too. At first I thought he looked a bit like Formalin-kun, but I have a bit of a crush on him now :P

The medical stuff is still my fav part of the show. He's like MacGyver! I find it difficult to make cookies from scratch, this guy's making penicillin from rotten rice balls -_- Incidentally, is anyone surprised they had rubber back then? Lol cuz I am :P

Looking forward to next ep. Honestly, who's going to believe the good doctor cuts up prostitutes in his free time? On the other hand, who has access to scalpels besides the doctors?

seirin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by seirin » Nov 11th, '09, 01:47

auroragb wrote:I'm definitely on the bandwagon. I've not seen a drama improve like this in ratings since Nobuta! Go! Jin! Go!
er...nobuta never even hit 20%. How does Nobuta even compare to this O_o

celticmoon

Post by celticmoon » Nov 11th, '09, 02:46

While Nobuta had consistent ratings and ultimately improved over its run, I also wouldn't compare it to JIN. In recent memory, I think the Last Friends has the most comparable run, though it is on a smaller scale. I don't think hitting 20 or not really has anything to do with it though. It's more about consistently improving in ratings over its run.

LF 13.9__15.9__15.6__15.9__19.9__17.2__16.0__18.8__18.0__20.7__22.8

Other recent dramas, such as ROOKIES, Haken no Hinkaku, and HYD2 had very stable runs, but then ended with explosive last episodes. Though these dramas also generally improved over their runs, the improvements were quite small, excluding their finales, when compared to Last Friends and JIN.

popoycanton

Post by popoycanton » Nov 11th, '09, 03:45

wow, this rating fiasco is lame. On w/ Jin.

popoycanton

Post by popoycanton » Nov 11th, '09, 04:28

at 40:48 when Jin was shown having flashbacks having a conversations with friends & with Miki at the other table. He was reading something and telling the others that the hero of the story gathered penicillium to make penicillin to cure an infection - I believe he was actually reading the Jin manga and essentially telling the story of himself or at least along those lines, pretty clever :D

Also, when Saki asked/borrowed for a kimono and dramatically unpinned her hair down, is it safe to assume that her plan was to disguise herself as a boy in order to pass the Yoshiwara gates?

Looks like Kyotaro is going to have a love interest and Saburi (Kiritani Kenta ) is going to be in a lot of trouble, being framed? maybe, but will find out soon enough.

noobee

Post by noobee » Nov 11th, '09, 06:25

wow nice!

celticmoon

Post by celticmoon » Nov 11th, '09, 07:22

popoycanton wrote:wow, this rating fiasco is lame. On w/ Jin.
What "rating fiasco"? If you are talking about the conversation about comparing JIN's rating patterns with other dramas (in which case your use of the term "fiasco" makes no sense), I don't understand what's so lame about it. I think it's a valid aspect of the drama to discuss, even if it has nothing directly to do with the content of the drama itself. I think it's good to see a drama performing like this in ratings. It's much more exciting than seeing the ratings go on a downward trend, as most tend to do.

And yes, I think it's safe to assume on the disguise thing with Saki.

Seiji982

Post by Seiji982 » Nov 11th, '09, 07:58

This is possibly the best drama I have watched this year.

Also, I am sorry if this has been asked before, but, how many episodes of JIN are we expecting? Has it been said?

chokubi

Post by chokubi » Nov 11th, '09, 08:25

popoycanton wrote:when Saki asked/borrowed for a kimono and dramatically unpinned her hair down, is it safe to assume that her plan was to disguise herself as a boy in order to pass the Yoshiwara gates?
Saki is seen on Yoshiwara grounds undisguised as a woman, shown at the end of episode 4. So I'm still unsure why she had to dress differently, supposedly as a man, in order to assist Jin with the treatment on Yugiri. House regulations is the only thing I can come up with for now.
Anyway regarding ratings = watchability of a drama, personally I think that it's just another way to validate one's decision to pick up or keep watching a drama. Just like watching a certain drama to see a certain actor/actress, it can be any reason really. And at the end of the day, if it doesn't offend anyone, everything else is freedom of speech am I right? :mrgreen:

popoycanton

Post by popoycanton » Nov 11th, '09, 08:47

Let the studios crunch on the numbers, lets just watch the show. Peace all.

@chokubi
I believe saki's brother got her a permit to enter the red light district at ep4 & it seems the permit is not perpetual as what we see in ep5.

Iki Tadashi is another good one.

xploring

Post by xploring » Nov 11th, '09, 10:04

Don't know if posted before, here are some photos of the cast at a press conference before the series started airing.

http://mainichi.jp/enta/mantan/graph/manga/20091006/

I imagine there will be a second series, otherwise they didn't need to include 2009 in the address for the official website.

fseventh

Post by fseventh » Nov 11th, '09, 13:19

I hope someone can enlighten me, what is the meaning of "sodoku"? That word was used often when Nokaze and Jin argue about examination for the prostitutes.

Thank you so much in advance.

hectic3

Post by hectic3 » Nov 11th, '09, 13:55

Seiji982 wrote:This is possibly the best drama I have watched this year.

Also, I am sorry if this has been asked before, but, how many episodes of JIN are we expecting? Has it been said?
There should be 11 episodes.

theuncontactable
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by theuncontactable » Nov 11th, '09, 14:26

Great Drama - great acting around.

Love the depiction of Sakamoto Ryoma, my sensei in Tosa has a a huge picture of Ryoma on his wall. When I first saw it I asked him who it was because the picture of the guy is really scruffy. He says Sakamoto Ryoma is his hero. Apparently he is credited for the establishment of the Japanese Navy in Kobe.

Does anyone know who played Formulin Kun? He gave a great performance as well. Wonder how old he is and how old you have to be to become a professional actor in Japan.

Background music is also a sign of epicness for this drama.

seirin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by seirin » Nov 11th, '09, 15:48

theuncontactable wrote:Great Drama - great acting around.
Does anyone know who played Formulin Kun? He gave a great performance as well. Wonder how old he is and how old you have to be to become a professional actor in Japan.
It's anyone's guess. I don't think they mentioned it. I don't think there's an age limit before you become a professional actor? It depends how you define it. When they get a leading role? When they've done more than 10 projects? I would probably say late teens early 20's. There are many actors who start out acting at a young age, from child acting to 13/14 yr olds. Some have acted in leading movies/dramas by late teens.

I notice every once in awhile Jin has flashback/dreams and Miki isn't sick anymore. I wonder if maybe they weren't dreams, but changes that happened in the future/his present past, so his memories are altered because events have changed? Not sure if anyone is following me on this.

I hope Jin manages to get back to the present some day or else he's gonna cause a lot of time continuum distortion if he stays there for too long. Either that or he dies an early life.

Someone on soompi mentioned their roles reversed. Hmmm, it's quite possible if the dreams are true. I wonder what his next dream in ep6 will reveal? In the previews he said "maybe I might be dead" :O
In his dream, Miki was alive and he was in the hospital bed. Maybe Miki will be the one operating on him? I wonder if his dream in episode 6 will give hints of what the future got changed to?

auroragb

Post by auroragb » Nov 11th, '09, 16:20

Just read the manga to vol 15. I wonder how much of it will they cover. They've covered only to vol 3 or so. At this rate, it seems that this has a strong potential to be a multi-season thing. I can easily see 2 seasons' worth of material.
I'm pretty sure they'll do the foreign soldier arc next.
The blood transfusion arc might not make it in.
I wonder if they'll cover the napoleon III arc that was hinted at in the end of vol 15.
Can anyone spoil vol 16? I'm eager to know what happened.

Edit: I also wonder if they chose this story to steal NHK's thunder because NHK is doing a Taiga series on Sakamoto Ryouma in 2010. I think that the success of this series may have some influence on the 2010 series. It'll also be interesting if this has a 2nd season running in parallel with NHK's series, because it comes on right after the Taiga drama's timeslot on Sunday

popoycanton

Post by popoycanton » Nov 11th, '09, 23:35

I notice every once in awhile Jin has flashback/dreams and Miki isn't sick anymore. I wonder if maybe they weren't dreams, but changes that happened in the future/his present past, so his memories are altered because events have changed? Not sure if anyone is following me on this.
To me, the only reference to the future changing is Jin's picture of him and Miki. In fact whenever he does something significant the context of the picture changes, but not the printed date.

I would not classify the dreams and flashbacks in the same group. They happen in very different scenarios. Flashbacks happen when Jin is conscious, alert and coherent. It also happens as part of his story telling. With the dreams, I believe that's just what they are dreams. They happened when he was asleep & happened another time when he was delirious w/ cholera, thus a pigment of his imagination. *Being deliriously sick can cause hallucinations.

I believe Formulin Kun was played by a foreigner, non-Japanese, thus his apparent eye and skin color. A dutch man????

sodoku - Apparently not syphilis when you google it.

ranmasama

Post by ranmasama » Nov 12th, '09, 01:29

Anybody know where I can find the theme music for jin, the one without the vocals?

hey9

Post by hey9 » Nov 12th, '09, 01:56

Guys, sodoku is that brainteaser game you always see people playing on the train.

Nyuk nyuk nyuk :P

Seiji982

Post by Seiji982 » Nov 12th, '09, 08:57

hectic3 wrote:
Seiji982 wrote:This is possibly the best drama I have watched this year.

There should be 11 episodes.
Thank you! :)

Hopefully there will be another season in the future.

noobee

Post by noobee » Nov 12th, '09, 09:19

thanks a lot!

frashdi87

Post by frashdi87 » Nov 12th, '09, 09:19

this drama definitely going to be my best medical drama ever...
much much better than team medical dragon...
he must be very2 clever neurosurgeon to remember the measurement to make isotonic drink and IV solution...even medical student don't learn how to make it in class...lol

theuncontactable
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by theuncontactable » Nov 12th, '09, 09:36

@ seirin
LOL I honestly didn't expect anyone to seriously respond to my comment about Formalin Kun. Anyway that foetus has his life planned out to be an actor.

I was told that in Japan, they use Pocari Sweat as a saline drip in hospitals. Don't know if it was true or not, but I can't dispute the reasoning behind it.

shioki

Post by shioki » Nov 12th, '09, 11:32

formalin-kun gonna grow up and become an actor like osawa takao one day :lol
auroragb wrote:I also wonder if they chose this story to steal NHK's thunder because NHK is doing a Taiga series on Sakamoto Ryouma in 2010. I think that the success of this series may have some influence on the 2010 series. It'll also be interesting if this has a 2nd season running in parallel with NHK's series, because it comes on right after the Taiga drama's timeslot on Sunday
sakamoto ryoma seems to be a pretty interesting guy. I saw him 1st in atsuhime. But the ryoma in Jin is more wild?(not sure if this is a right word....but his scene with Jin in Suzuya was abit unexpected) than atsuhime's.
Sometimes, season 1&2 doesn't air at the same time slot, but I'm sure if there Jin2 next yr, its gonna affect that taiga drama no matter what time slot it's in. :D

fseventh

Post by fseventh » Nov 12th, '09, 11:45

so, sodoku here is syphilis or not? I'm kinda confuse with it since in sub, they use syphilis word too, but there is also sodoku in the sub.

And for isotonic solution, my mother taught me how to make it from sugar, salt and water when I got diarrhea and I always think that this knowledge is general :P

shioki

Post by shioki » Nov 12th, '09, 13:08

sodoku is some kind of bacteria disease, its definitely not related to sudoku or syphilis in any way lol.
apparently, it can be cured by penicillin too. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rat-bite_fever

theuncontactable
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by theuncontactable » Nov 12th, '09, 13:25

fseventh wrote:so, sodoku here is syphilis or not? I'm kinda confuse with it since in sub, they use syphilis word too, but there is also sodoku in the sub.

And for isotonic solution, my mother taught me how to make it from sugar, salt and water when I got diarrhea and I always think that this knowledge is general :P
The sub says sodoku literally means emaciating poison and from the context of what happened at that point the doctors wanted to look for signs of the primary stage of syphilis.
If any body can read kanji I think this would be it: 憔毒 which is what I looked up on Jim Breen's wwwjdict. The romanji is shoudoku or soudoku which is what I can hear from the words spoken. It could be a commoner's term for syphilus. It was not listed in the dictionary as a word so I looked up the two kanji separately.

Anywhere else in the episode they referred to syphilis as baidoku as per WWWJDict:
梅毒; 黴毒 【ばいどく】 (n) syphilis

I thought the treatment for diarrhea was generally dry crackers and flat lemonade when you think about it, it pretty much breaks down to salt from the cracker and sugar and water from the lemonade but I think next time I'll try isotonic drink.

theuncontactable
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by theuncontactable » Nov 12th, '09, 13:35

shioki wrote:sodoku is some kind of bacteria disease, its definitely not related to sudoku or syphilis in any way lol.
apparently, it can be cured by penicillin too. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rat-bite_fever
That doesn't make sense because the prostitute was accusing the doctors of wanting to have a free look at the "goods". From that description of sodoku, Rat-bite fever doesn't affect the "goods" of the prostitute.

blackbalsam

Post by blackbalsam » Nov 12th, '09, 13:37

梅毒 - ばいどく <i>[baidoku]</i> is 'syphilis' while <i>[soudoku]</i> - そうどく ( 痩毒) is rather 'poison that makes person thinner' (<i>med.exp.</i>loss of weight is one of the common symptoms in the 2nd stage of syphilis) - imo it's a way simple people called syphilis. Similar as 'tuberculosis' is/used to be called <i>consumption</i>; in German <i>Schwindsucht</i> and other languages.

However there is other thing that bothers me more in Ep5: for those who watched might have noticed (or not :D)
that when Jin was making penicillin, they went to Yoshiwara and the old doctor said "From the rotting pus on Yugiri-san, her staphylococcus is essential. We are here to gather that."
- this must be a slip by scripwriter since syphilis is caused by <i>T.pallidum</i> and when taking the tissue fluid from surface lesions you rather get spirochetes. :whistling:

theuncontactable
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by theuncontactable » Nov 12th, '09, 13:51

blackbalsam wrote:
However there is other thing that bothers me more in Ep5: for those who watched might have noticed (or not :D)
that when Jin was making penicillin, they went to Yoshiwara and the old doctor said "From the rotting pus on Yugiri-san, her staphylococcus is essential. We are here to gather that."
- this must be a slip by scripwriter since syphilis is caused by <i>T.pallidum</i> and when taking the tissue fluid from surface lesions you rather get spirochetes. :whistling:
Yeah, but that was the Edo Doctor talking to Edo people. Although Jin explained the cause of syphilis to him earlier. It would be easier for him to say "staphylococcus" than to give Jin's explanation.

blackbalsam

Post by blackbalsam » Nov 12th, '09, 14:01

theuncontactable wrote:
Yeah, but that was the Edo Doctor talking to Edo people. Although Jin explained the cause of syphilis to him earlier. It would be easier for him to say "staphylococcus" than to give Jin's explanation.
You could be right, yet it sounds completely wrong for my ears.

Gitik

Post by Gitik » Nov 12th, '09, 14:28

blackbalsam wrote:
theuncontactable wrote:
You could be right, yet it sounds completely wrong for my ears.
I think so.
I was wondered at that moment: When did he learn the word "staphylococcus"? It is a modern name of bacteria, isn´t it? Jin may explain to him knowleges about this medical stuff. But Ogata would repeat it correctly in this case, because he is professional.
And moreover...
he seems to be very interested in correcting his own knowledges according to Jin and his modern medicine. Ogata even asked for revision of his book.

theuncontactable
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by theuncontactable » Nov 12th, '09, 15:08

Gitik wrote: When did he learn the word "staphylococcus"? It is a modern name of bacteria, isn´t it?
He didn't say "staphylococcus," He used a Japanese term and it was translated as "staphylococcus." The problem is whether "staphylococcus" as referenced by the Japanese term was known in Japan at that time.

Maybe it has, maybe it hasn't, I don't know. History is subjective because if you ask a German person who invented the automobile or the computer I bet they would give you a different answer to people from the English speaking world.

This show is interesting in many levels and I see a lot of people who don't normally post on drama discussions, on here - myself included. If you look at my discussion with BlackBalsam, I suspect he has a medical background and my reply to his post comes from a language teaching and learning background where you adjust your language depending on your situation, purpose, audience and status. You see a lot of historical discussions going on as well.

This is a really deep drama.

shioki

Post by shioki » Nov 12th, '09, 15:45

theuncontactable wrote:
shioki wrote:sodoku is some kind of bacteria disease, its definitely not related to sudoku or syphilis in any way lol.
That doesn't make sense because the prostitute was accusing the doctors of wanting to have a free look at the "goods". From that description of sodoku, Rat-bite fever doesn't affect the "goods" of the prostitute.
Ya...I think you're right. I was wondering why is there rat-bite in Jin, and how is it related to syphilis. I just checked the jap wiki on syphilis. They also call syphilis 黴毒、瘡毒(そうどく/soudoku) there. Maybe 痩毒(though its used in the jap sub) isn't a right word to call syphilis, even though they share the same romaji.
btw, 瘡毒 means poison of ucler/sore/the thing growing on nokaze's senior. And 黴毒-->mold poison.

noobee

Post by noobee » Nov 12th, '09, 16:17

nice!

Gitik

Post by Gitik » Nov 12th, '09, 21:19

theuncontactable wrote: This show is interesting in many levels and I see a lot of people who don't normally post on drama discussions, on here - myself included. .
Indeed. I usually read all the discussions about dramas quietly. But Jin is very unique. I´m very addicted, I want know more about it and its background. I naturaly want to discuss. I´m not native english speaker, so I have been afraid of expresing myself in english for a long time. Somehow... it is simply very advanced active language skill. I´m good at reading and understanding. I can watch movie or read a book in english, but just simply writing down my own ideas is still troublesome to do it in english.
There is a medical discussion with explanations, a historical discussion, even some comparing show and manga corner or discussions with very interesting thoughts. I´m very grateful for it. It helps me a lot to better understanding english and japaneese terms in JIN.
The reason of my appearance here is also interesting. Blame on JIN, of course :D I registered here, because I wanted to say big "Thank you for subtitles" to Heiwa´s guys. And I ended up with asking them for a permission to translate JIN into the czech language instead. XD I want to create high quality czech subs with translation notes, because JIN is too deep show and too difficult one for my friends, who know only basics of english. So that is my story. Basically, Formaline-kun is going to be famous international celebrity adored by non-english speaking people living at world's end. :D :D

As for that "staphylococcus":
I was confused by that translation in subtitles. This word is special medical term, it is not featured in usage of common people in my language. It is just a bacteria for most of us and that japaneese word may cover this meaning too. I didn´t want to point to its saying itself (and problem of existing or not existing in history), but rather the sitation, in which was said. It sounds strange and very medical-like to me - even nowadays not only in old Edo times. Of course, it was propably lost in translation. I like your idea about edo doctor making mistakes or edo people not understanding modern medical terms - it is very storybuilding idea. But my first feeling of that scene was different. I mean: during watching their dialogue, just because Jin seemed to be looking quite fine with that word.
My lack of language skills = more picture based translation :D

edit: wikipedia rulezz - see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Staphylococcus
nomenclature name Staphylococcus was officially given by Rosenbach in 1884
ep 5 - It is set in 1862. No word like Staphylococcus officially exists for medicine in that time. - > its original source must be Jin. He is doctor and he should know the right name. - > a scriptwriter´s mistake or the true meaning of original japaneese word is wider than we expected

Ayulyn

Post by Ayulyn » Nov 12th, '09, 22:46

I'm loving this series so far. Historical dramas seem to be some of the best I've run into.