[Discussion] Orthrus no Inu (Takizawa Hideaki, Nishikido Ry)

Discuss Japanese drama series here.
thienly

Post by thienly » Sep 19th, '09, 08:29

Watching the Osama no Brunch
It's might be tragic ending for Ryu but not for Aoi, I am not so sure since it's about 3 sec.

Arg hitting myself for watching the spoiler already....

Issy

Post by Issy » Sep 19th, '09, 08:57

thienly wrote:Watching the Osama no Brunch
It's might be tragic ending for Ryu but not for Aoi, I am not so sure since it's about 3 sec.

Arg hitting myself for watching the spoiler already....
OH, I really saw this coming. :cry: :cry: :cry:
I thought that Ryuzaki's character had to die because let's face it, healing power can cause more chaose than killing power. he will never able to live a normal life even if people around him have no idea about his power. as Ryuzaki said before, people get hurt in the process and it's not only them.

Ryuzaki feels hurt about if he is doing the right thing ro not. like by force making him healing rich people and making profit for others. that's why he was satisfied with his death penalty that he got for a crime he did not commit and did not object. he seeks peace for his tortured soul.

with all above, i still don't want my beloved Ryuzaki to die. i will try to convince myself that it was only a misleading preview to make us viewers thinks so, so i will be able to watch the last ep. :cry:

seirin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by seirin » Sep 20th, '09, 05:26

eh?? I just re-watched Ousama no brunch again to see if I missed something when I saw it live. Did you guys get the scene mixed up? They showed scenes from episode 8 not 9. I didn't see any scenes I didn't recognize already. Is the scene where you saw Ryuzaki with something on his head lying down? If it is, that's episode 8.

thienly

Post by thienly » Sep 20th, '09, 06:28

watch the surrounding of the scene where Aoi is looking down to his hand....look at the surrounding then you know what I mean

seirin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by seirin » Sep 20th, '09, 06:47

It could be the dad? He didn't want Ryuzaki to heal him. But then Ryuzaki is not around either. Could be both. Well, if it's both, then I'll be hating Aoi. He's a stupid kid.

I tend to think maybe both are alive. Warner brothers was talking about thinking of making a spin of it into a movie. Hmm..maybe he means American movie. "US version of this TV drama and hopefully we can make a movie from this tv series."

noobee

Post by noobee » Sep 20th, '09, 09:55

=D

jasminech

Post by jasminech » Sep 25th, '09, 12:44

Very excited for the last episode! It's on soooo soon! Hope they'll be able to wrap it up nicely - don't think I'll bother speculating about what's going to happen... I'll just wait and watch! (although, I am hoping for a surprising ending, but we shall see) :) *super duper excted*

Issy

Post by Issy » Sep 25th, '09, 14:54

Finally, Orthros no Inu has ended. what a drama we had with this one. i hated the drama at first and made me so frustrated. nothing made sense and the acting was all over the place. thank god that they came to their senses and made all these changes because this story had so much potential.

one thing i still do not understand even now that it has ended. why and for what precise reason Ryuzaki is the evil character in this story and everyone find it very natural and reasonable to kill him?why?
even though he was proven innocent of those 3 guys murdure. even though he has not killed someone by his own hands while Aoi goes round killing them (even though they are evil people but still he has ended their lives with his own hand) and nobody accuse him or even portrait him as the evil one. not to mention his image in white shirt to symbolise his pureness.

ok, back to ep9, i thought it was kind of rushed but i like it because of its ending. sawamura trying to make Aoi kill Ryuzaki but blaming him for his real father death when Shinji did not heal him and holding back the fact that they are brothers. this bit was a bit annoying.

loved those Ryuzaki x Mio moments. so sweet and innocent. and finally Ryuzaki healing Mio with all other kids in the hospital.
Ryuzaki gone to his hometown (under water ) and asking Aoi to come after him knowing that he will end his life by his hands.

as i said above, everyone teams up to kill Ryuzaki (for unknown reason). the ex-cop tells Hasebe about Ryuzaki and Aoi being brothers and helps her to get to their old town.
but sawamura waiting somewhere looking at Ryuzaki just incase Aoi could not kill him so he can finish the job.

Hasebe arrives at the scene where Aoi is about to kill Ryuzaki and she wants to tell him about them being brothers but Ryuzaki stops her. both became shocked when Aoi tells them that he already knows that Ryuzaki is his older brother.

meanwhile, as Aoi hesitate to kill Ryuzaki, sawamura decides to shoot Ryuzaki himself but Aoi protects him and he gets shot instead. as Ryuzaki wants to heal him, he stops him and reminds him of their promise of never to use their powers anymore.
Hasebe gets in fight with sawamura trying to get his weapon but fails (as usual) and sawamura this time hits Ryuzaki.

it seems that Aoi's wound is not that serious (unlike Ryuzaki's) and he goes towards him asking him to heal himself as soon as possible. but Ryuzaki refuses to do so and says that he has promised not to use it. but (not sure if this part is exact how i thing ) for some reasons asking Aoi to use his power and end his life because he wants to go back to their old place). as Aoi refuse, he throw himself off the dam into the lake but Aoi catch his hand in the last minute. as Ryuzaki trying to free his hand both end up falling into water and both holding hand, somesort of energy transferred between them.

after one year, everyone is back to their normal life and that politian woman compaigning for herself in more honest way as she was really moved when kids in the hospital did not want to be healed but instead they wanted their Dr to be healed instead of them when Ryuzaki went there for the last time to heal Mio.

Hasebe went to see Aoi as he returned to his teaching job at the school and she told him that they could not find Ryuzaki's body till now. and i think Aoi said something about his power that it has gone since that day (but not sure if was lying or not) and last secenes, as he walks find abondand cat/dog in a box but leaves it out there and as he walks away Ryuzaki come fromother side takes the cat/dog with himself. they pass eachother like two strangers.

I am SO happy for this ending. i just could not take it if Ryuzaki had died at the end. it was kind of rush ending but me personally loved it.
this seasons has been great. all the drama that i was watching ended so prefectly. :cheers:

thienly

Post by thienly » Sep 25th, '09, 20:48

I think every one wants to kill Ryu because they know that his hands will cause lot of commotion and incidents like the hospital will happen again...people will use him to threaten other people and so on...and in the end only people and himself get hurt. Sawamura uses the excuse that it's his job to keep the country safe...but seem like he is more jeolous of Ryu then anything. But what I dont understand is that why Aoi resents Ryu's power so much?? Is it because Ryu refuses to save as many people as Aoi wants....he sounds like it's his mission to kill Ryu....At least he saves the people that Aoi wants like his student and her mom...
what i am still confused is though why both brothers walk pass as if they dont know each other? In the end....they dont seem like they lose their memory or anything, or they just pretend that they dont know each other? the part where Sawamura got the gun and shot Ryu is just stupidity on Nagisa's part. She should have kick the gun far away from him as possible when she is pointing the gun at him. Lucky that Ryu didnt die or I would kill Nagisa..and the bit where Ryu said "I want to die by your power " to his brother seem so sad. And Ryu wants to die anyway...I think he has enough living even though his life is a mess or I dont know that what's you call living. He is more free and much happier when he die. He cant live in peace with that hands.
It poses the question of if both bothers live together since young would their lifes be different? like his grandpa said....Ryu has nothing to defend himself up to now, only his wittiness get him out of trouble. But if his brother there to protect him then that would be different. Just like a binary theory like black/white, male/female. One support the other. It has to be balance for a world to be saved I think

Nomanymore

Post by Nomanymore » Sep 25th, '09, 21:16

I must say this drama turns out to be a disappointment. Acting wise, can't blame the actors when their characters are badly written, and scratching like :blink I wonder if it's because the whole thing is a gathering of many writers so the ideas are all scattered ,the story doesn't follow and leaves holes everywhere :| The original idea has potentials, but the way they persecute it makes me think they don't know what they're writing at all. Or, should it be what they wanted it to be and what they made it to be are different. There's certain ideas they want to add in but dropped halfway, etc
Honestly in the end I felt cheated. well, I guess too much expectation, but hey, they even compared it to some USA tv series lol hard not to build some expectations.
Tackey's role isn't that 'evil' after all. Again, bad directing from the screen writers. I'm not really Tackey's fans so I don't mind if his character is real bad. It'd be much more interesting I believe... like a two men's fight. I hate it when the main characters are all good people lol

No comment on the ending, cause I didn't get any of it. What the whole thing is supposed to mean. Makes me feel like nothing ever happened, duh No message was delivered = fail.

Issy

Post by Issy » Sep 25th, '09, 22:47

very true! i am comparing the drama with how badly it started because if you compare the first 3ep with the rest, if the rest remained same, i would have been so frustrated that would stop watching all together.
there HUGE failure on writer(s) part. they failed to write each character properly. they failed to give us proper answers, the story was not matching up.
i don't mind my fav actor as a bad/negative character. actually sometimes i prefer it over perfect goody character. but if they want to show that Ryuzaki is the negative charcater i this drama, then they have to convince us. i was still asking myself why everyone think of Ryuzaki as evil person till the end. was still confused if i have missed something through out the drama. the same goes for Aoi's character.
i need subs to understand what happened in last few minutes and what was the end result.
was watching ep 8 with subs few minutes ago and i think i know what happened.
i am guessing that somehow when both of their powers are used on eachother, they cancel eachother out. so they will be left with no powers. i can be wrong though.

seirin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by seirin » Sep 26th, '09, 05:17

I just finished ep9. Well...all I can say is...eh? The ending wasn't that bad. But like others pointed out here, there's a lot of unanswered questions and some parts don't make sense. I'm not really sure what their message was. All people are selfish? Well, at least at the end they proved not all are selfish and there are some who care for others more rather than themselves, but they're kids. Makes you wonder how long that innocence would last once they grow up anyhow. Is there really a hope for the future? They showed a glimmer of hope.

I also wonder why they wrote everyone so Elmo. The only smart person in the drama seems to be Ryuzaki with the cool head and demeanor. Although I thought Tackey did a good portrayal of Ryuzaki's character, I found character lacking. With all his mysteriousness and cunning, I was expecting something really awesome from him but it turned out bland. I don't really care if they chose to make Ryuzaki good or evil but they need more "push" for the character. I know he's a tortured soul, however I was hoping he would find some sort of salvation and love.
I really don't get how they keep losing memory. At first I thought Aoi nearly drowned so he suffered from a trauma and lost his memory. But from the last episode, it seems he didn't even touch the water at all before he was saved. And how did Ryuzaki lose his memory? Poor guy is alone still now with no family and no memory. How did he lose his memory? Lack of oxygen to the brain from being in the water too long? I don't really understand the power canceling thing either. Ryuzaki was shot but he didn't heal himself. Then he got killed by Aoi also and wakes up losing his powers? I kind of wonder...even the life and death powers cancel each other, there's still the bullet wound. I think maybe Ryuzaki was faking the power loss in the end. Maybe he healed his own bullet wound but he didn't want to use his powers anymore. He did say that day would be the last time he would use his powers. Anyhow too many unanswered questions, too many characters acting stupid (why is Hasebe still hanging around the ****? why didn't hasebe handcuff sawamura after his first shot, etc), many incidents that don't make sense (how can the dad not be blown to smithereens), many unresolved issues.
Regarding American style script writing. What's so great about it? I watched Heros and it sucked. I thought it would be something like Marvel or DC comics style like X-men, FF4, Legion of Super Heros or something but it was crappy.

Issy

Post by Issy » Sep 26th, '09, 14:20

I ams till thinking about the ending because as said above, so many things did not made sense.
Ryuzaki was shot twice and had very serious fatal wounds. Aoi did use his power on him when both were in water. not sure if i see it properly, but did Ryuzaki used his power there too? in case he has not, why? because they both promised eachother not to use their power. so why only Aoi was the exception?
now i am thinking maybe they have not lost their memories and is onlt an act. remember the last scene were Aoi finds that cat? instead of taking the cat, after a pause, he leaves it there like already knows that someone will come shortly after him? just a thought :P

Nomanymore

Post by Nomanymore » Sep 26th, '09, 16:02

Watching the scene again, I believe they didn't see each other at all, or maybe Ryuuzaki saw Aoi only.
about what happens to their power, eh. Can I say I don't care very much? the fact that they're brothers kinda sink the boat to me, like completely. And as they were trying to make it touching ,how Aoi hesitates killing Ryuuzaki who just wants to be killed by his brother, bla bla bla. Those final scenes just destroyed it. So they survived, no injury, no memory lost, nothing, then why they aren't together? why Aoi stays so indifferent hearing that his brother's body is still unfound? so, they know? or not, that the other is still alive? I don't understand & it bugged me so much lol Maybe there's nothing to understand ^^;;
And, btw, does anyone think that Hasebe role is totally useless sometimes? She didn't really contribute anything, doesn't change anyone mind or sacrifice anything. She just proved to me her unprofessional as a detective the whole time.. And I don't see what has changed in her life after her encounter with those 2 men *sigh*

Issy

Post by Issy » Sep 26th, '09, 16:54

please don't tell me that
you think that was Ryuzaki's ghost and not actual him? because i am staring to wonder about it too. :scratch:

as for Hasebe, I really hated her character from the begining and she really got on my nerve. after ep4, they tried to bring the romantic side between her and Ryuzaki (when all of us could not believe due to their lack of chemistry between eachother) and i thought that her character might get interesting this way.
from ep4 till ep9 i was waiting for something to happen because they kept giving us some hints. now that it ended without any clarification about those hints, i am also thinking what was her overall effect in this drama. you can actually picture the whole drama without her presence. because it did not make any difference storywise. she was not even a clever detevtive so atleast we can say she solved some crimes through out the drama.

Nomanymore

Post by Nomanymore » Sep 26th, '09, 20:08

:lol
No, he's holding that puppy up, I believe he's well alive ^^ just that the way they walk make me think they didn't see the other. I wonder what the screen writer wants the viewers to interpret that scene :|
Actually I'm kinda happy that none of them died, but if so I'd like to see them reunite. I mean there's no obstacle anymore, now their powers are gone? All of sudden they 'forget' about the other and accept their power and continue to live on... :blink

seirin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by seirin » Sep 26th, '09, 22:13

Ryuzaki doesn't mind dying. Aoi seems to want to kill him so what better way to die than by the hands of your brother, someone you care about.

As for Ryuzaki and Aoi being brothers, you could probably guess that from episode one. It was pretty easy to guess. The revelation in episode 8 to actually confirm it had no element of surprise. The element of surprise was Ryuzaki healing himself. He lied :P I thought it was kind of strange though that he couldn't heal himself, but maybe that's one of the drawbacks that God gave him so he could be controlled.

I think the writing was messy over all. What's the use of the painting in Ryuzaki's jail? I thought it had some sort of meaning since they kept showing it. It seems to signify nothing. I think episode 9 told how they gained their powers when they found some sort of hand in a box underground in a temple. I guess I'll buy that. Superheros gain powers in odd ways. But to have them disappear so easily is strange. That memory loss thing is so odd. Aoi and Ryuzaki seem to randomly lose memory for no reason. I wonder if maybe that dam water has magical powers? Anyone who touches the water lose their memory after awhile? Cuz Aoi lost his memory when he was saved. I don't know what happened to the mom still. His foster parents maybe didn't go into the water? Their memory seems intact. When Aoi and Ryuzaki fell into the water, they lost their memories too. But only of each other??? Weird.... Anyhow that might explain why he has no reaction to Ryuzaki's body not found. He probably wonders who he is? But wouldn't he ask then? All I can say is...eh??????

I think the Hasebe was there because they needed to show that not everyone uses Ryuzaki and Aoi for there powers. There are others who won't go crazy over it nor need it even if it meant their life.

nell123

Post by nell123 » Sep 26th, '09, 22:51

After watching the last episode I can finally say that this is the most confusing TV show I’ve seen in my life. There are so many things I don’t understand about the story that it’s getting frustrating. It’s not just Hasebe and the brothers. It’s everything. The plot consisted of random events without logical connection. No explanations, no development, no closure, nothing. People did stuff and said things just to get the story moving and that’s it.

I can’t believe I wasted my time with this.

shosef

Post by shosef » Sep 28th, '09, 12:18

oohh...too bad..i just watched the first 4 epis..and i was hoping it will get better...i'm a sucker for this kind of dramas...

Issy

Post by Issy » Sep 29th, '09, 22:10

on second viewing of the last ep and because my keyhole quality was really bad and i missed so many scenes.
i don't think they have lost their powers. they just chose not use it anymore. kind of keeping the overall power balance. because as Ryuzaki picked that puppy and it saw its wound, he was going to heal it but change his mind in split second and wanted to do it in its natural way.

and also, when they both fell into water and Aoi (and maybe Ryuzaki too) used his power, you could still see Ryuzaki's eyes blinking.

missed so many details when i was watching it online. :crazy:

seirin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by seirin » Oct 4th, '09, 09:38

After watching the last episode with subs, I guess it's somewhat clearer what happened. I got pretty teary near the end T_T. I could feel the solitude they both felt. Damned if you do and damned if you don't.
I cried when Ryuzaki called Aoi a cry baby and healed him ^^; Such brotherly love. And when Aoi tried to hold onto Ryuzaki until they both fell in. It was touching too when Ryuzaki said Aoi and his mom's smile were his reasons for continuing to live on. I would have liked for both of them to be together in the end, but oh well. Ryuzaki is probably in hiding. I doubt there would be a special? :cry: I want the brothers back together.

I still don't like the dad for being such a coward. He should have left the village with both his sons rather than running off by himself leaving one son with the grandfather and other son with his wife. He's a failure both as a father and as a husband.
Last edited by seirin on Oct 4th, '09, 09:50, edited 3 times in total.

blackskies

Post by blackskies » Oct 4th, '09, 09:40

How do we know that they lost their memories? Hasebe saying that they couldn't find Ryuzaki's body, and Aoi not showing any emotion towards it... maybe it's because he knows his brother is perfectly safe. Or him saying that 'the legend was wrong,' meaning he didn't have to kill his brother in the end? He might be hinting at that. I dunno.

Liked the drama overall, probably because the concept was so interesting to me. I think it's easier to like now that I've focused on the idea of the show instead of the execution :P

vis

Post by vis » Oct 4th, '09, 13:53

blackskies wrote:
How do we know that they lost their memories? Hasebe saying that they couldn't find Ryuzaki's body, and Aoi not showing any emotion towards it... maybe it's because he knows his brother is perfectly safe. Or him saying that 'the legend was wrong,' meaning he didn't have to kill his brother in the end? He might be hinting at that. I dunno.

Liked the drama overall, probably because the concept was so interesting to me. I think it's easier to like now that I've focused on the idea of the show instead of the execution :P
Heh, I'm thinking along the same lines in regards to the ending... I think that Aoi knows that Ryuzaki is safe and has faith they will meet again. There's nothing to indicate that they have amnesia, I think the scene was supposed to show that they just missed each other (this time anyway). I have faith that they'll meet again in the future now that they've both found some peace. And yeah, the originally idea was awesome but the execution left much to be wished for. I still think both actors did a good job, considering what they had to work with, except for the unnecessary AND annoying Hasebe character. It makes me sad that Orthros no Inu didn't come near it's full potential.

The drama was a total mess in the middle but despite the logic holes I thought it kinda shaped up in the last two episodes (although I still want a scene where Aoi figures out the truth about them being brothers... that rather came out of the blue! I wonder if he put together the pieces from finding Ryuzaki's good luck charm that he dropped at the hospital? He was gazing upon in a latter scene...)

Issy

Post by Issy » Oct 5th, '09, 01:55

on my third viewing (this time with subs)
there is nothing to say that they have lost their memories. because as it looks, Aoi completely remember Ryuzaki and their powers.

as for their powers, Ryuzaki told Aoi at final scene to kill him and makes him return to normal human being. that obviously means that he knew the effect that Aoi's power has on him and that is not going to kill him ( even if it killed him he wont object because to him everyday life was just too painful to live). so Aoi prediction about the legend is right.

it could be only Aoi has his power left but as he is not going to use it anymore, there is no way for him to find out it. that is why he did not kept the dog at the end (did not want to repeat what happened to their dog when he was a kid protecting his sister)

it seemed that they are trying to imply that Ryuzak's power is gone for good (as the heart beating stopped when they were both in water meaning that old Ryuzaki is dead) and new him is just normal average person. now i am thinking maybe those last scenes when he tried to heal the dog is not as i thought before. maybe he just realising/remembering the fact that he wont be able to heal people/animals like before and in this case, it still means he has not lost his memory.

as said before, i think they both know of each others existance. but now they both try to live their life peacefully.

the more i see this drama, the more i am disliking Hasebe's character and her overall uselessness in the whole story. she goes to arrest sawamura without any arrest warrent/orders and says no to that minister woman's help to do so and finally she only can arrest him with her interference. :scratch: to me, she does not look like a strong headed woman at all. she just likes to object with others in what they say and fiding out they were right later on.

as for the father, knowing his reasons behind wanting Ryuzaki to be dead, still did make a nicer image of him in my mind. so in order to save your son with healing power, you get rid off your younger son and his mom so he wont be able to kill him in the future. but later on, in the future to save your son from misery, you decide to kill him yourself.
his character was not that convincing at all.

justpeachy

Post by justpeachy » Oct 12th, '09, 20:30

I finished watching this at almost 5am. I just couldn't wait to see the finale.
I'm glad it ended happily, sort of. I wasn't sure if it would end with Aoi killing Ryuzaki, both dying together, or both surviving. I liked that they both survived and Aoi didn't end up killing his own brother. But, they made it seem at the end that even though Aoi knew his brother was alive, they weren't in contact with each other. In a way, that was a sad ending. I hate sad endings so I'd like to think they're in contact, but just missed each other meeting at that point.

I agree that some things weren't explained too well and that we can only make up our own conclusions. For me, the most annoyingly unexplained part was that after all that happened, how could Ryuzaki live in the same city and live normally when everyone knows what he looks like. He looks mostly the same (his hair looked a tad different, maybe shorter) and no one remembers him? That doesn't make sense at all. :scratch:
I loved this drama anyway. :wub:

Issy

Post by Issy » Oct 14th, '09, 14:49

I always thought about this part too
there is no way for Ryuzaki to be able have peaceful life after this. because not long time has passed so people already forgot about him and his power. he still does look exactly the same.

Ryusuke had the best. he still has family and his job. he is able to have peaceful life as no one knows about his power (be it there or not). he has not really paid the price of his power and he has not even atone for his guilts even though he said he would.

poor Ryuzaki instead, has been used and abused through out his life, being framed for a murdure did not commit, was in jail for years, has no family, no place, no friend and he can't even live with others without getting recognised. and none of it is due to his fault.

there is some unfairness going on in this story that you just find answers for it. well, maybe they want to tell us that life is unfair. not so sure!

dmriojas

Post by dmriojas » Oct 15th, '09, 03:36

I thought this was a very good drama! Got very teary in the end too, I've not read alot of the earlier posts, but I saw there was supposed to a SP for this? Anyone have any news on that?

seirin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by seirin » Oct 17th, '09, 19:26

There's no SP announced. Judging from Tackey's previous dramas, he doesn't seem to have any SP following them so I don't know.

dmriojas

Post by dmriojas » Oct 17th, '09, 21:16

Thanks for replying. :D

noobee

Post by noobee » Oct 17th, '09, 21:35

thanks!

Ender's Girl

Post by Ender's Girl » Jan 4th, '10, 02:43

seirin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by seirin » Jan 4th, '10, 17:23

Since you hated everything about the drama...It's really beyond me how you kept watching it? If I hated a drama so much I would stop watching it after 1-2 episodes. I just skimmed your report on it and I think your writing seems to fly off on tangents. Your thoughts seem to be flying from one area to the next which I don't follow and it turns into ramblings sometimes. I agree the writing sucks, but I don't think all the actors were that bad. They're working with a bad script. Tackey's acting I don't think was horrible. He's expressionless but that's his character. Once you start feeling "I don't care if I die", I don't think you be running around smiling. O_o

Issy

Post by Issy » Jan 4th, '10, 18:21

seirin wrote:Since you hated everything about the drama...It's really beyond me how you kept watching it? If I hated a drama so much I would stop watching it after 1-2 episodes. I just skimmed your report on it and I think your writing seems to fly off on tangents. Your thoughts seem to be flying from one area to the next which I don't follow and it turns into ramblings sometimes. I agree the writing sucks, but I don't think all the actors were that bad. They're working with a bad script. Tackey's acting I don't think was horrible. He's expressionless but that's his character. Once you start feeling "I don't care if I die", I don't think you be running around smiling. O_o
I second everything seirin said. i did not like the drama's first 3 eps and i decided to give up because there is not point in watching something you hate so much but thank god that i decided to give it another chance with ep4 and after that it got better and better. Tacky's character is very complex considering his background and how he lived his life the past 28 years. and the fact that he has not seen a single happy day in his life since his mother and brother were gone and then been in jail for past 10 years (i think) make up for his expressionless personality.
i just remembered the moment when that politican lady asked him when was the last time he drank saki and he said that he was underage when he was sentensed.. :cry:

nell123

Post by nell123 » Jan 4th, '10, 19:12

Ender's Girl wrote:My thoughts on Orthros no Inu:

http://endersgirrrl.wordpress.com/2010/ ... -tbs-2009/

:twisted:
To tell you the truth some parts of your review were really hard to read. I had to reread several times to get the general idea.Or may be my english isn't as good as I thought it is. :unsure:

That said, I agree with the parts I understood. Orthros No Inu was awful. It was so awful that I can't believe I managed to finish it. :scratch:
Last edited by nell123 on Jan 5th, '10, 07:38, edited 1 time in total.

Ender's Girl

Post by Ender's Girl » Jan 5th, '10, 04:41

seirin wrote:I just skimmed your report on it and I think your writing seems to fly off on tangents. Your thoughts seem to be flying from one area to the next which I don't follow and it turns into ramblings sometimes.
Lol, I know, right. :lol Watching Orthros can do that to you! :goggle: I'm pretty sure there was a cogent thread of thought (or two) underneath the rambling, but you just skimmed it, so... :wink:
nell123 wrote: To tell you the truth some parts of your review were really hard to read. I had to reread several times to get the general idea.Or may be my english isn't as goof as I thought it is. :unsure:
I'm sure there's nothing wrong with your English comprehension. :-) Trust me, I'm usually more... lucid than this, but my mind was one roiling mess by the time I was done watching Orthros... such is the power of that drama, tsk. At least now I can go around and say, "Tackey fried my brain!" lol :twisted:
seirin wrote: Since you hated everything about the drama...It's really beyond me how you kept watching it? If I hated a drama so much I would stop watching it after 1-2 episodes.

True, I normally ditch a drama I've lost interest in after the first few episodes, but I stayed with Orthros for three reasons:

1) I was riveted by Tackey's "acting" with the same morbid fascination as when watching a train wreck. How could I turn my eyes away from such a... spectacle? :mrgreen:

2) Nishikido Ryo's acting wasn't bad at all, and I thought I'd give him a chance this time.

3) The drama's concept WAS interesting, and I wanted to see how it would play out, with or without the terrible writing.
seirin wrote: I agree the writing sucks, but I don't think all the actors were that bad. They're working with a bad script. Tackey's acting I don't think was horrible. He's expressionless but that's his character. Once you start feeling "I don't care if I die", I don't think you be running around smiling. O_o
Issy wrote: I second everything seirin said. i did not like the drama's first 3 eps and i decided to give up because there is not point in watching something you hate so much but thank god that i decided to give it another chance with ep4 and after that it got better and better. Tacky's character is very complex considering his background and how he lived his life the past 28 years. and the fact that he has not seen a single happy day in his life since his mother and brother were gone and then been in jail for past 10 years (i think) make up for his expressionless personality.
i just remembered the moment when that politican lady asked him when was the last time he drank saki and he said that he was underage when he was sentensed.. :cry:
Therein lies the rub: you guys obviously understand Ryuzaki better than Tackey ever did, lol. :mrgreen: Yes, Tackey's character is supposed to be dark and complex, but even someone as emotionally desolate and psychologically damaged as Ryuzaki was written to be would still show indications of that complexity... Like a flash of the eyes, a fleeting expression, a change in his inflection--something that would give away that inner chaos seething just beneath the emotionless mask. All I got from Tackey was a blank wall, and beyond that--nothing. *shrugs*
nell123 wrote: That said, I agree with the parts I understood. Orthros No Inu was awful. It was so awful that I can't believe I managed to finish it. :scratch:
Oh, but we did! We did, didn't we? :dance: And lived to tell the tale! :rofl:
Last edited by Ender's Girl on Jan 6th, '10, 00:47, edited 3 times in total.

nell123

Post by nell123 » Jan 5th, '10, 07:55

Ender's Girl wrote: That said, I agree with the parts I understood. Orthros No Inu was awful. It was so awful that I can't believe I managed to finish it. :scratch:
Oh, but we did! We did, didn't we? :dance: And lived to tell the tale! :rofl:[/quote]

Yes, but I wish it wasn't so. Orthros had the potential to be something really interesting. Unfortunately, it turned out to be a confusing mess. It was like another Bloody Monday but worse. Considering that mystery/thriller dramas are not made very often, I wonder how come the production team can be satisfied with doing such a lousy job.
Last edited by nell123 on Jan 5th, '10, 16:34, edited 2 times in total.

seirin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by seirin » Jan 5th, '10, 10:25

Ender's Girl wrote: Therein lies the rub: you guys obviously understand Ryuzaki better than Tackey ever did, lol. :mrgreen: Yes, Tackey's character is supposed to be dark and complex, but even someone as emotionally desolate and psychologically damaged as Ryuzaki was written to be would still show indications of that complexity... Like a flash of the eyes, a fleeting expression, a change in his inflection--something that would give away that inner chaos seething just beneath the emotionless mask. All I got from Tackey was a blank wall, and beyond that--nothing. *shrugs*
They did show a flash of his eyes. From his side glances. Albeit a bit fast. It's not like Korean drama where they spend 5-10 minutes dwelling the camera on the eyes cuz they gotta spread the drama through 16-20 episodes. But seriously I would die if Orthros aired 16 episodes. I hate long dramas and the script fell to pieces. I think they're biting off more than they can chew. Attempting something outside their abilities to write. If you notice, many dramas are basing stories on mangas because they're more interesting and better written.

What I the writers did was try to throw the viewer off by describing Ryuzaki as an evil person. So everyone expected him to be evil. Hence the copy of "Silent of the Lambs" didn't work well. I never sensed that Ryuzaki was evil. With his blank/calm look, I was drawn in by what his thoughts were inside. Because you can't read his thoughts, he becomes mysterious and interesting. You wonder what he's thinking. Rather than looking at how people view Ryuzaki, how exactly did Ryuzaki get into this situation. He doesn't look evil (maybe cuz he has a handsome face) but everyone says he is. There must be something more than meets the eyes, but his face won't tell you "I'm innocent". So you keep watching wondering how the story unfolds to prove what you hope was right. That he's not such a bad guy and there's more than meets the eye. His smirk sometimes throws you off too. In the end, you realize he's just human. He's neither good or bad. He's just how the environment has made him.

What they failed at was copying American writing. At first I thought it was a good idea. They seldom do suspense thrillers and it would be something fresh. The differences between American and Japanese writing is, American stories end it in single episodes. They're more like "mini stories" which can run for several seasons. Whereas Japanese story has to have a beginning, an ending and last 11 episodes. Also, I find recently many American shows are crap. I stopped watching US sitcoms many years ago. They're following a formula that doesn't work anymore.

I think what happened to you was different from us. You probably got brain over load from five writers throwing different ideas at you and they're complicated ideas not expressed well. You watched it all at one go right? Some of the rest of us who posted earlier watched it week by week. So we had a week to digest the episode and ponder before we continued to the next. So our brain wasn't fried and we had more time to understand it a bit more by taki0ng a look at the overall story to try to make sense of it. The end wasn't satisfying but what do you expect? It happens to many dramas. They build up the suspense and then try to finish it off in one episode which never works.
Even a well written drama like Jin couldn't finish it off in one episode. The last episode left everyone hanging and TBS says they have no intention of a special or season 2.

There was also problems with production because Ryo got sick and they lost a week of air time. That also cut the story a bit abrupt. I think the lost 15 minutes could have focused on what happened to the boys after they lost their powers.

As for Ryo's acting. I thought it was pretty bad. I prefered Tackey's acting or role. At least he was more interesting. Ryo seemed like a walking zombie or on drugs. For a teacher, you would think he would be more lively. Teachers are suppose to have a "genki" air because otherwise students get bored in class. I don't see any energy coming out of him. He looks tired and even his smiles seem half hearted. When you smile, your eyes light up and you form a smile. His smile is sleepy eyes and lips forming a smile like "I'm smiling because I have to". His character was pretty pathetic IMO. He's too shallow and naive. Actually, all the characters weren't written well. Most of them irritated me. Hasabe is a useless detective. The little girl was cute though.
Ender's Girl wrote:
seirin wrote: That said, I agree with the parts I understood. Orthros No Inu was awful. It was so awful that I can't believe I managed to finish it. :scratch:
I didn't say that. I understood part of their message. I didn't think it was totally awful. A bit cliche but not totally bad. Basically what they wanted to show was "Humans are self serving and untrustworthy. But there's a glimmer a hope". The message just wasn't delivered well.
[/quote]

nell123

Post by nell123 » Jan 5th, '10, 16:31

@ seirin:

The last quote is not from your post, it's from mine. I don't know why your name is on it.

Ender's Girl

Post by Ender's Girl » Jan 6th, '10, 03:40

nell123 wrote:@ seirin:

The last quote is not from your post, it's from mine. I don't know why your name is on it.
My bad. I mistakenly put seirin's name when I quoted you in my previous post. Sorry, nell123. Post amended accordingly. :mrgreen:

@ seirin

Yeah, I did watch Orthros all in one go, as is the case with most dramas I pick up. I suppose you're right about my "wholesale" viewing being a big factor. Come to think of if, watching dramas in one fell swoop is a double-edged sword, precisely because it amplifies the pluses/minuses of the story, acting, direction, etc. So good dramas become better, while the sucky ones appear, well, even suckier. :D

I heard about Ryo being downed by swine flu around this time. Too bad it affected the ending, although it doesn't change the fact that the writing WAS pretty lousy from day (or episode) one.

LOL @ "walking zombie or on drugs" :lol

(But, c'mon, you've never had a teacher (high school or university) that bored you senseless? I've endured professors who were A LOT more listless than Ryo's character ever was.)

Lol, it's kind of funny how the fans who liked Tackey's performance hated Ryo's, and vice versa. I have yet to see a viewer reaction extolling or slamming BOTH performances at the same time. :mrgreen:

I guess this really proves that one fangirl's meat is another fangirl's poison. :wink: But it's cool, it's all good, baby. :dance:

seirin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by seirin » Jan 6th, '10, 04:06

Ender's Girl wrote: (But, c'mon, you've never had a teacher (high school or university) that bored you senseless? I've endured professors who were A LOT more listless than Ryo's character ever was.)
Well, are those boring teachers you had popular with the students? Usually they're popular because they're hot looking and have some sort of charisma. But I think the personality probably draws students more than looks. For example if someone was an interesting teacher or what not. Also, working as a teacher in Japan, I think they prefer the "genkiness". If the teacher is boring, chances are the students won't really like the teacher. His teacher character seemed to be well liked by students in the drama. It's beyond me if he's boring and tired looking all the time.

I don't think I'm fangirling when I talk about Tackey and Ryo's acting. I can say Tackey isn't the best actor around. I only like some of his projects and some are a bit dull. He seems to do the "quiet, cool, mysterious" type well. His acting abilities are limited to those styles. I've seen Ryo's acting. I thought he did a pretty good job in 1 litre of tears. And he did a great job in Last Friends. So much I couldn't watch it cuz he freaks me out and I didn't like the les thing going on. But the teacher role just doesn't fit Ryo. I always see good and popular teachers as the handsome and charismatic or the pretty ones. eg) the teacher in "bara no nai hanaya", GTO, gokusen, etc.

Also Ryo's character Aoi is written so naive and black and white, I don't know how he's a good teacher. Usually teachers are well educated. They should be able to balance right and wrong. The writing is just so bad. Aoi's logic is totally wacked. I sometimes want to smack some sense into him cuz he's so stupid. Hasabe is the other useless character I want to smack sense into.

namelessmon

Post by namelessmon » Feb 11th, '10, 04:30

HI! i really like this show! i must say its my top 5 jap drama!^^ does anyone know where i can download the ost for this drama?

Ashurii09

Post by Ashurii09 » Apr 19th, '10, 05:19

Sorry for bumping, but I've been out of the loop for J-Dramas for a 1+ now. I have a list of (now) 22 to watch, and started off with Orthros no Inu ( <3 Nishikido Ryo). I loved it a lot, but the ending is so bittersweet. I even started crying, gah. x_x Kind of sucks that there's no SP, but I'll just use my imagination and make myself my own personal epilogue of sorts. :)

zooey
Philippines

Post by zooey » Aug 2nd, '10, 01:25

Just saw this recently and despite the bad story-telling and the plot holes, I found its overall concept to be quite interesting. I know this comes a bit late but for what it's worth, here's my own take on the series --
http://rundown-zoo.blogspot.com/2010/07 ... o-inu.html