Tamra, The Island / Tempted Again / Shipwrecked (MBC, 2009)

Discuss Korean drama series here.

Have you seen Tamra The Island?

Poll ended at Dec 30th, '09, 02:01

Yes, I love it
63%
Yeah, whatever
3%
No, but I want to
31%
Not interested
3%

Total votes: 32

minimonk

Tamra, The Island / Tempted Again / Shipwrecked (MBC, 2009)

Post by minimonk » Sep 1st, '09, 02:01

http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Tempted_Again

How come no one is talking about this awesome drama on d-addicts?

It's so great! I found someone subbing it. For raws you need to use some Korean filesharing apps...
http://k-tvsub.blogspot.com/

I would love to see someone start things up on here and have it become kdrama of the month!

tunacan

Love it.

Post by tunacan » Sep 2nd, '09, 17:17

Been lurking here for a long time and had to join just to vote on this.

I'll admit I started watching only because one of the main character (the blond one there) is French, and was curious about how his Korean would sound like. The soundtrack is great (such a change after the Korean Boys over Flowers), love the characters-- even though I haven't read the manhwa, it really feels like they popped out of it. Such a pleasure to watch. The female character is absolutely adorable.

marioeoeoeh

Post by marioeoeoeh » Sep 2nd, '09, 17:32

I just started watching it a few days ago - all 4 subbed episodes on one day.
This drama is so addictive.
To be honest, the English of the Japanese and French guy is... well, it's not always that easy to understand :D
But I really like this drama.
And I think this girl is really cute. But I want her with the exile and not with the castaway... :)
Can't wait for the next subbed episode ^o^

sweeteyes

Re: Tamra, The Island

Post by sweeteyes » Sep 16th, '09, 16:59

minimonk wrote: How come no one is talking about this awesome drama on d-addicts?
i'm wonder why d-addicts they do not picking this awesome drama??? finally great drama is out after alot from boring Drama >.>

i'm watching until ep3 and i'm starting to download ep3until ep12...is really awesome drama and funny..very sad d-addicts they do not sub this drama :-(

Karo
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Karo » Sep 16th, '09, 17:43

:cheers: I didn't know there was a thread here for Tamra~~

I love it. It's cute and sweet and the characters are all so adorable... Yay!

And yeah, I have to agree, the English isn't quite the best. But I still understand it (haha, I'm used to weird English accents~)...

Though the first few minutes weire kind of awkward. William's mother and all that... O_o''' If you get over it, until he is found by Beo Jin, it gets soooo great. I love the OST... *____*
haven't been able to watch it for some time now... T_T

xayapenn

Re: Tamra, The Island

Post by xayapenn » Sep 16th, '09, 18:46

sweeteyes wrote:
minimonk wrote: How come no one is talking about this awesome drama on d-addicts?
i'm wonder why d-addicts they do not picking this awesome drama??? finally great drama is out after alot from boring Drama >.>

i'm watching until ep3 and i'm starting to download ep3until ep12...is really awesome drama and funny..very sad d-addicts they do not sub this drama :-(
Check out http://k-tvsub.blogspot.com/ for subtitles.

garnet07

Post by garnet07 » Oct 8th, '09, 07:40

Just when I knew there were subs for the show :cry: :cry: boohoo they dropped it. Waaahhhhhhhhh now I'll have to wait for YesAsia to come out with the expensive DVD. Got addicted to ep1-5, but now in withdrawal mode because can't watch the rest.

beanybeans

Post by beanybeans » Oct 9th, '09, 00:29

garnet07 wrote:Just when I knew there were subs for the show :cry: :cry: boohoo they dropped it. Waaahhhhhhhhh now I'll have to wait for YesAsia to come out with the expensive DVD. Got addicted to ep1-5, but now in withdrawal mode because can't watch the rest.
I was really addicted to this series too. I started off watching it using Spi's softsubs and then had to resort to ViiKii just so that i could keep watching the drama. I was so looking forward to rewatching this series in nicer quality too. I just went to Spi's blog and i saw that she wrote that if there's a high enough demand, then she'll finish subbing the series. She figured it was redundant to continue subbing if it was already available at ViiKii. So i left a comment there so that she knows there is a high enough demand. Hopefully Spi will reconsider. I think i will end up buying the dvd set any way. I just love this series that much. It's my first K-drama ever too. Totally love Im Ju Hwan and Seo Woo together. They've got great chemistry.

beanybeans

Post by beanybeans » Oct 13th, '09, 00:54

Okay, i just visited http://k-tvsub.blogspot.com/ for possible subbing updates but the blog doesn't exist any more. Does anyone know what might have happened?

xayapenn

Post by xayapenn » Oct 13th, '09, 01:23

beanybeans wrote:Okay, i just visited http://k-tvsub.blogspot.com/ for possible subbing updates but the blog doesn't exist any more. Does anyone know what might have happened?
Last week Spi announced that he will no longer sub Hon and Tamra Island since Viikii has already completed these projects and he is busy with work. I supposed he closed down his website due to overwhelming complaint. Since Tamra Island was only 16 episodes instead of the originally plan 20, I guess I'll buy the DVD when it comes out instead.

garnet07

Post by garnet07 » Oct 13th, '09, 19:32

Yup, visited that blog again today and doesn't exist anymore. Only solution now is to save up money and wait to buy the DVD version hopefully with all 20 original episodes. :-)

beanybeans

Post by beanybeans » Oct 14th, '09, 00:10

xayapenn wrote:Last week Spi announced that he will no longer sub Hon and Tamra Island since Viikii has already completed these projects and he is busy with work. I supposed he closed down his website due to overwhelming complaint. Since Tamra Island was only 16 episodes instead of the originally plan 20, I guess I'll buy the DVD when it comes out instead.
garnet07 wrote:Yup, visited that blog again today and doesn't exist anymore. Only solution now is to save up money and wait to buy the DVD version hopefully with all 20 original episodes. :-)
Yeah, i had seen that message from Spi. But Spi also mentioned in response to someone's comment/question that he would be willing to sub the rest of Tamra if there was a big demand for it. So i responded just to let him there's definitely interest. Not sure if there was one more message before the blog got deleted letting us know that the blog was going to be deleted. So i wasn't sure if someone had seen something like that.

Oh well. I'm definitely planning to splurge on the dvd set. I've been checking YesAsia but i haven't seen it yet. I've never bought a dvd set for any drama before so this is quite exciting. Plus, it will probably have a bunch of goodies/extras and not to mention all 20 episodes. Here's hoping.

BTW, does anyone know if all Korean dramas released on dvd come with English subtitles? Or is it only certain ones...like maybe the more popular ones that get those? If that's the case, then i'm afraid Tamra might not get subs due to the low ratings. But there obviously was a lot of fan support so who knows. How are the subtitles in general? As long as they don't literally translate out people's names, then i think i'll be okay. :lol

garnet07

Post by garnet07 » Oct 14th, '09, 00:38

I've bought DVDs at YesAsia before and yes they do have subs especially since I'm not Korean and cannot, for the life of me, understand Korean. :lol First it has to be licensed by YA Entertainment though. Maybe you can help out by requesting to their site >> http://www.yaentertainment.com/ .

beanybeans

Post by beanybeans » Oct 14th, '09, 01:28

garnet07 wrote:I've bought DVDs at YesAsia before and yes they do have subs especially since I'm not Korean and cannot, for the life of me, understand Korean. :lol First it has to be licensed by YA Entertainment though. Maybe you can help out by requesting to their site >> http://www.yaentertainment.com/ .
I take it the subs are quite acceptable then? 8) Thanks for the website. I'm totally new to this K-drama stuff so this really helps. I think i'll use their contact form to put in a request for Tamra to be subbed and distributed by them. :-) BTW, is YA the only company that does this?

garnet07

Post by garnet07 » Oct 17th, '09, 03:04

You're welcome. As far as I know, only YA licenses and subs Korean dramas for the US market. And yes, the subs are really good in terms of grammatically correct and quality of videos. Sometimes, the DVDs also comes with extra gadgets or pics from the drama. Hmm, it seems they are now only starting to sell BOF DVDs which ended its run on March. Since Tamra ended last month .... er then we will have to wait for another 9 months or so for the dvd to be released.

Yvon

I really really really love this series!

Post by Yvon » Oct 30th, '09, 03:59

For the past 6 years I've been watching asian series specifically korean,japanese, and taiwanese......this series caught my attention!It's unique, the storyline, the sounds, and the casting. It's been a long time since I highly appreciate an asian series and I think this one deserves to be one of those.
Some people just base their opinions on the casting of the series, since none of them is too popular to get those roles you might think it's just an ordinary series. I have to admit I'm also like that...but If you take time to watch this series....you'll say to yourself that "I'm glad I got the chance to watch this series". First episode is already nice and all of the episodes were not dragging...none of them is boring because all the scenes have important contents.I really admire the director and writer of this story...It's just so amazing how they manage to make this kind of series.The natural flow of story was there, it could make you laugh, it could make you cry, it even pierce my heart. This series have hooked me and now I'm saying that I'm already a fan of this series. Im Ju Hwan, Seo Woo and Pierre Deporte....all the casts really fit their roles! I even want this series to be aired here in Philippines....I'm sure this can be an inspiration to Fiilipino film makers.I'm inviting you guys to watch this series,I'm not paid to do this it's my own heart that tells me I have to spread this series all over the world and inspire all people around us.

SweR

Post by SweR » Dec 30th, '09, 12:51

Omo :O it's suprising that this drama have thread here :S
i watched all 7 ep at one tome (L)
it's a great and lovely drama :D
kyongdare (L) ohhh he is so handsum

i can't buy the drama dvd T_T i really want it but the ship to my country is very expesive T_T
and i don't know if it's going to arrivet to me safely :S
> all i can do is suside XD
i heard that the dvd will countain the full episods ( 20 ep ) and all of them are subbed
that's a great thing to hear :D

garnet07

Post by garnet07 » Jan 3rd, '10, 08:16

Yes, the YA Entertainment people fulfilled our request as you can see here >> http://www.yaentertainment.com/ . The DVD version with subs is coming out on April 2010. Not sure if its all the original 20 episodes though.

beanybeans

Post by beanybeans » Jan 3rd, '10, 17:19

garnet07 wrote:Yes, the YA Entertainment people fulfilled our request as you can see here >> http://www.yaentertainment.com/ . The DVD version with subs is coming out on April 2010. Not sure if its all the original 20 episodes though.
Nice. I heard about the April 2010 release date (actually more like February) but it's nice to see that it's officially on their page.

About the 20 episodes, this is what i wrote and the response i got from YA Entertainment:

My question:
"Hi, I had heard that YA Entertainment plans to release Tamra the Island with English subtitles, which is really great. I recently found out that a director's cut version, which will include an extra episode for a total of 21 episodes, will be released in early December. I was wondering which version YA Entertainment plans to release. Unfortunately, only 16 episodes were aired as opposed to the original 20. However, it would be even better if the director's cut version gets released with English subtitles since fans weren't able to enjoy the series in its entirety and to get an extra episode would be a total bonus. Is it possible for this to be considered? Thanks."

Their response:
"Thank you for your email. Sorry for my delay in responding.

Yes, YA Entertainment plans to release Tamra The Island on DVD with English subtitles. We are working on the subtitles right now.
YA Entertainment will release the full version (20 episodes, plus 3 hours of special features). From what I've heard, the director's cut you mentioned will only have 1 hour of special features, which they call "the 21st episode" (and no English subtitles). Our US version will have all the episodes, all the special features, and English subtitles.

Thank you so much for your email and questions. Please feel free to contact me anytime.

Thanks,

Tom"

So it's exciting to get all 20 episodes on dvd. I forgot what someone told me regarding YA Entertainment and whether or not they also sub the special features. I think they do. Anyway, i'm looking forward to getting it. Hopefully it won't be too too expensive.

garnet07

Post by garnet07 » Feb 18th, '10, 08:34

Thanks beanybeans for that info. As for the price, well it depends what you would consider expensive, but anything more than $50 for DVDs is expensive for me. But since this has many more special features, it might come to $120+. Hmm, if it's 20 episodes + special features, will they put it on 2 volumes? Hope not so it's just one shipping. >> Boys Over Flowers is selling at $140 right now.

Oh and if you live in the US, you would need the Region 1, US Version. My first time buying from YesAsia, I bought something from Region 2 with English subs , but it totally didn't work in any of the DVD players. Worked in the computer with a few adjustment (aka changing the regional settings), and now I've ruined the DVD drive in the computer. Wouldn't you expect things with English subs to work properly for US DVDs, but noooo who reads English subs in Korea when they live there? Really don't get it.

beanybeans

Post by beanybeans » Feb 21st, '10, 07:22

garnet07 wrote:Thanks beanybeans for that info. As for the price, well it depends what you would consider expensive, but anything more than $50 for DVDs is expensive for me. But since this has many more special features, it might come to $120+. Hmm, if it's 20 episodes + special features, will they put it on 2 volumes? Hope not so it's just one shipping. >> Boys Over Flowers is selling at $140 right now.

Oh and if you live in the US, you would need the Region 1, US Version. My first time buying from YesAsia, I bought something from Region 2 with English subs , but it totally didn't work in any of the DVD players. Worked in the computer with a few adjustment (aka changing the regional settings), and now I've ruined the DVD drive in the computer. Wouldn't you expect things with English subs to work properly for US DVDs, but noooo who reads English subs in Korea when they live there? Really don't get it.
Wow, yeah that's pretty high up there. I've never bought a series before so this will be a first. I've seen J-dramas being pretty pricey but i never checked out the K-drama ones since i don't watch K-dramas in general.

I actually have an all region DVD player but i usually go for the Region 1 version if it's available. Region 1 should be available though, right, since YA is a distributor of K-dramas with English subtitles in North America? But yeah, what you said regarding the region thing doesn't make sense unless other countries in Region 2 would need or prefer the English subtitles?

Yeah, i'm aware of the limitations with changing the region code on laptops since when i fiddled with it on my old computer way back when, it gave me a warning message regarding that. After seeing that, i just didn't want to mess with it.

Razvan007

Post by Razvan007 » Mar 27th, '10, 15:31

there ARE eng subs (.srt) available :) ! you people know that,right?

beanybeans

Post by beanybeans » Mar 27th, '10, 17:01

Razvan007 wrote:there ARE eng subs (.srt) available :) ! you people know that,right?
I know that k-tvsub had subbed the first couple of episodes and posted the softsubs at their blog site but have shut down by now. I don't know of another group/person who might have picked it up. I ended up watching the whole series subbed at Vikii's site but that was online streaming.

chrysanthemum

Post by chrysanthemum » Mar 27th, '10, 17:26

beanybeans wrote:
Razvan007 wrote:there ARE eng subs (.srt) available :) ! you people know that,right?
I know that k-tvsub had subbed the first couple of episodes and posted the softsubs at their blog site but have shut down by now. I don't know of another group/person who might have picked it up. I ended up watching the whole series subbed at Vikii's site but that was online streaming.
Yeah, I'm looking... but I don't see anything past the first few episodes.

Razvan007

Post by Razvan007 » Mar 27th, '10, 19:35

beanybeans

Post by beanybeans » Mar 27th, '10, 19:44

Oh i see. I guess ViiKii's subs were somehow extracted and provided as softsubs. Uh, i've already watched that version for the whole series at their site so i'm just gonna rewatch it after i buy the English subbed version on dvd.

damarikomu

Post by damarikomu » May 8th, '10, 08:32

does anybody know by any chance where I can get the raw files of the series to match with the subs? =D

garnet07

Post by garnet07 » May 15th, '10, 18:34

For those who are planning to own this series DVD version, it's coming soon.

You can order it here >> http://www.yesasia.com/us/tamra-island- ... /info.html . Yah, I know it's expensive, but what can you do when it's imported. It includes the Directors Cut with english subs and other extras, so it should all be worth it :D

kaedejun

Post by kaedejun » Aug 2nd, '10, 15:01

DramaFever put out the 16 episode version of Tamra the Island! http://www.dramafever.com/drama/612/

jokerboi250

Post by jokerboi250 » Jun 28th, '11, 17:47

recently saw this on a local channel and i am totally hooked onto it

Issy

Post by Issy » Jun 28th, '11, 18:24

:O Never seen this thread before. I should have looked more once I fell in love with everything about this drama (almost) and specially LJH as Park Kyu :mrgreen: Need to read this thread first. :whistling: