[Discussion] Kareinaru Spy (Tomoya Nagase, ...)

Discuss Japanese drama series here.
Issy

Post by Issy » Jul 20th, '09, 08:52

Yes, Anne was very good specially when it is her debute in acting. she was very natural and cute and very in control what she was doing.
i am wondering if there is going to be any sort of romantic link between her and Kyusuke or dorothy?

I thought the same thing about school bus/trip. specially when it turned into speed movie. too draggy and totally unnecessary. and i too getting annoyed of "neckless+ eyes" routine. it gets annoying after so many times. and its only the 1st ep. hope they focus on it too much in laters ep.

raven_frost

Post by raven_frost » Jul 20th, '09, 12:13

MoOoN1990 wrote:finish watching it
waiting the translation .. but i want to ask about the man who was driving the car and seeing the yellow birds .. he'snot a japanese ??
i didn't get it
It was a scene to show the terrorist GomaQ at work in a different country and that his forte is rigging bombs to detonate if the radio frequency picks up sound of a certain decibel level or if the vehicle speed decelerates.
Issy wrote:Yes, Anne was very good specially when it is her debute in acting. she was very natural and cute and very in control what she was doing.
i am wondering if there is going to be any sort of romantic link between her and Kyusuke or dorothy?

I thought the same thing about school bus/trip. specially when it turned into speed movie. too draggy and totally unnecessary. and i too getting annoyed of "neckless+ eyes" routine. it gets annoying after so many times. and its only the 1st ep. hope they focus on it too much in laters ep.
Anne stole the thunder from Fukuda Kyoko IMO. The latter is just so blank and well she's terribly hopeless for a spy with M16 experience!
The magazines say that Anne's character will fall for Kyosuke which certainly looks to be the case. Her interest in him has been piqued after he saved her.
The episode certainly felt long and drawn out towards the last third. The sequence could have been shortened.

evigsinne

Post by evigsinne » Jul 20th, '09, 17:37

I didn't really feel that the episode was too drawn-out; I could have done without the overdramatic pausing with Kyousuke and his pliers towards the end, but that's really just a jdrama trope that I have learned to live with. Overall I quite enjoyed the episode, it had a nice mix of humor and action that worked for me. I was actually laughing during parts of it, which is rare for me; dramas hardly ever evoke actual laughter (or tears, for that matter) from me. I could have done without the speech on bullying, simply because scenes like that are so overdone in jdramas. I really hope that there's not going to be some uplifting spiritual message in every episode. That got really old really fast in Gokusen and pretty much ruined the series for me even though I loved Yankumi in the beginning.
Also, I normally hate hate hate Kyoko Fukada, but I didn't mind her in this episode. I loooved her retro cosplay look - I'm a huge fan of mod sixties style, and I actually found myself wishing I could get away with dressing like that, lol. It totally works for the series premise, too.
The cross thing didn't really bother me either; I thought it was kind of hilarious, actually. I love that they gave Nagase's character a flat-out superpower, and a swindling superpower at that! He doesn't have some kick-ass super-speed or ultra-hacker powers, no - he can swindle you with the touch of a cross! I mean, how amazing is that. I love it.
Definitely looking forward to the next episode! I wish it didn't air on Saturday nights so that I could actually watch it in real time, but I'm pretty much almost always out doing something on Saturday nights. I could watch it on my phone, but I doubt my friends would appreciate me whipping out my phone to watch a drama while we're drinking or karaokeing or whatever, haha!

MoOoN1990

Post by MoOoN1990 » Jul 20th, '09, 19:22

It was a scene to show the terrorist GomaQ at work in a different country and that his forte is rigging bombs to detonate if the radio frequency picks up sound of a certain decibel level or if the vehicle speed decelerates
yeah .. i think that the man looks like an Afghan .. are they intend to show that muslims are terrorists ? because the american series bother us by showing "always' muslims
are terrorists :glare: skipping that there are many terrorists in many countries ?

dramaking77

Post by dramaking77 » Jul 20th, '09, 19:35

doesnt this remind anyone of austin powers? or is it just me lol

Issy

Post by Issy » Jul 20th, '09, 21:42

dramaking77 wrote:doesnt this remind anyone of austin powers? or is it just me lol
no, it's not just you. i said this in my earlier post too. a japanese Austin Powers. :P

calimerina

Post by calimerina » Jul 21st, '09, 20:52

Buzzer Beat ----- ----- 15.5
Karei naru Spy ----- ----- 15.6

Mr. Nagase beats Mrs. Nagase :D

MoOoN1990

Post by MoOoN1990 » Jul 21st, '09, 22:18

calimerina wrote:Buzzer Beat ----- ----- 15.5

great .. :cheers:

PauliNHo__

Post by PauliNHo__ » Jul 21st, '09, 22:35

where i can find the subtitle for episode 1? or dont have yet? thanks!

technohive

Post by technohive » Jul 21st, '09, 23:50

Where I can see the episode 1? I do like to watch this because of Inoue Mao

ZoddGuts

Post by ZoddGuts » Jul 22nd, '09, 02:35

It also beat the previous 4 shows debut ratings that air in the same channel/timeslot. Only Gokusen 3 the previous 5th show on that channel/timeslot had higher debut ratings. And looking back a bit futher the previous 3 shows before Gokusen 3 had lower debut ratings then Kareinaru Spy. So debut ratings wise Karei Naru Spy had pretty good debut rating in it's channel/timeslot. :thumleft:

http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Karei_naru_Spy

calimerina

Post by calimerina » Jul 22nd, '09, 06:58

ZoddGuts wrote:

It also beat the previous 4 shows debut ratings that air in the same channel/timeslot.
Before someone brings it up, I'll say it: ratings do not mean a good show. But... we are really glad they are high for this one :wub: even if it wasn't good (but I'm sure it is :thumright: ).
I think we don't have to decide from ratings whether to watch a show or not (many good shows I've seen had low or average ratings) but nowadays I'm concerned about ratings because low ratings put at risk the lenght of the show and I don't want it happen to Karei Naru Spy because I want to see as many Tomo goodness as possible :P
Its ratings are good for the timeslot but they aren't a surprise like Mr Brain's (and it was extended from 6 episodes to 8 because of the high ratings) so no hope yet for 15 episodes and several SPs :D

thienly

Post by thienly » Jul 27th, '09, 04:13

The rating of the second ep seem pretty low only 8.5%....is there some mistake??

nnnc

Post by nnnc » Jul 27th, '09, 04:24

calimerina wrote:nowadays I'm concerned about ratings because low ratings put at risk the lenght of the show and I don't want it happen to Karei Naru Spy because I want to see as many Tomo goodness as possible :P
Its ratings are good for the timeslot but they aren't a surprise like Mr Brain's (and it was extended from 6 episodes to 8 because of the high ratings) so no hope yet for 15 episodes and several SPs :D
I don't think Mr. Brain's high rating is a surprise. Even though it aired during a tough timeslot, Sat 8pm, it's a Kimura drama afterall.

As for the rating for the second episode, Karei Naru Spy aired against Fuji TV's 26 hrs special, which for its 9pm - 11pm secion earned 20.5 in rating. :unsure:

oO SKY Oo

Post by oO SKY Oo » Jul 28th, '09, 20:32

Although i haven't seen the drama yet, as a Nagase fan I am shocked by this drop in the ratings :-( ,i can only hope that it was really the FujiTV's SP that affected the viewership last week and that the ratings will improve over the coming weeks :) (thank you nnnc for the info btw ^^)
Can hardly wait for the subs to be released :P ,the few caps i saw look very funny specially from the second episode! :roll

kngbryn

Post by kngbryn » Aug 3rd, '09, 20:14

Says 8.5% for Episode 3. Was there something else during this time slot or what? Speaking of which, anyone have the 3rd episode? I'd still like to watch even if the ratings are getting low.

Ladymercury

Post by Ladymercury » Aug 4th, '09, 15:28

From the Japanese fan blogs, people were expecting a MBMH and are pretty frustrated that the humor is lacking in that regard.

As for raws, it hasn't appeared yet. No one is holding back on the western side, is just that the rippers in Japan haven't been ripping dramas. There's a lot of drama going on right now on their side.

chokubi

Post by chokubi » Aug 4th, '09, 16:04

Ladymercury wrote:people were expecting a MBMH and are pretty frustrated that the humor is lacking in that regard.
Pretty much in the same boat here...:fear: Although I can't say whether I had any expectations to begin with.

OnigiriFB

Post by OnigiriFB » Aug 4th, '09, 23:23

Aw that's kind of sad. I like this drama so far. I love MBMH but the same thing would have been boring. I wonder if this drama is more funny to someone who has been more used to seeing stuff like Get Smart and Austin Powers? Since it's a parody of those two shows the most it seems and the spy genre in general. I was wondering why the third episode hadn't shown up yet. Hope the rippers in Japan fix whatever it is. :(

Issy

Post by Issy » Aug 5th, '09, 00:54

YES, I totally agree.
why viewers want to see something that was done before but with different charcaters. it would be really boring if they repeated the same story pattern as MBMH in here too.

me personally, I prefered if it had no comdy genre at all. i really wanted to see a japanese type James Bond with all its unrealistic/unbelieveable gadgets and storylines but with very serious theme. i think, it would have been much better than this.

unfortunately younger Tomoya fans always talk about him as one hillarious and funny actor while he has so many serious roles (Makoto in IWGP, Big Money, Kanojo ...and so on) which i think they are as great as his Makky role in MBMH. I used to replay those serious scenes in MBMH so many times because i could not have enough of them.

but now that i think about it more, viewers also can't be blamed for wanting more comdy from this drama. and it's all because of the direction of this series. still need to watch ep2 but when you watch ep1, when you include so many hints to Austin Powers movies and MBMH's character (just change the Yakuza character to a swindler and instead of turning him into student, make him a spy) then you have to provide enough comdy that is needed for your story. but if keep away from these hints (if they wanted to keep it real and serious), then viewers won't have such expectation too.

over all, it's really a good drama to watch and very fun and entertaining, but it could have been so much better because it does has the potential to be a great drama.
hope that ep3 will be uploaded soon. thanks to all uploaders for doing so. :cheers:

chokubi

Post by chokubi » Aug 5th, '09, 03:30

I think Nagase Tomoya has proven that he can really bring out the humor (or seriousness) in his roles. But imma say that this drama is not doing it for him, yet. And that might be what the blogs meant in saying "a MBMH" or the lack of it.

popoycanton

Post by popoycanton » Aug 5th, '09, 15:29

This sucks. I'm a believer since tiger & dragon, IWGP. Nagase needs better material than this. And the production team, oh man, poor poor execution on the usual Japanese cliches. The 60s retro spy adventure is just not working, Nagase can't save this show, poor production team, really, did they just graduate from college or something?

He needs to team up with Kudo Kankuro again thats for sure.

Ladymercury

Post by Ladymercury » Aug 5th, '09, 16:12

This drama is slapstick humor, but its definitely a niche. That's the problem with parodies, unless you've seen the originals you will not get the parody. I think that's where its getting the Japanese audience confused: They were expecting wildin' out, crazy, pudding chasing building jumping kite flying humor and instead were dropped with a slap stick, silly, drama with so many references and puns they probably didn't get.

Also, this drama was riding off of the coattails of MBMH.

" Nagase's first lead in years since MBMH! "

etc etc, because its his first lead on NTV. Remember he had Utahime (a GREAT drama btw) on TBS shortly after MBMH -- but it tanked in rantings badly.

I personally enjoy this drama, it falls flat a few times and I really doesn't have me in tears like I had hoped (Dave Spector assaulting Tomoya Nagase was freakin hilarious) but its entertaining. As long as I'm not watching it srsly, I have no qualms. Though I am sad that it just doesn't have me dying for more like Yasuko to Kenji, Summer 2008, did. That was a great, fun, family drama.

But the show is relying so much on Nagase, all the other characters fall in the back and I have to admit, Kyoko Fukada is a weak lead.

Issy

Post by Issy » Aug 5th, '09, 16:40

the problem is not letting one previously successful character rest in peace. NTV is known for doing so over and over and over. they have done it before with Gokusen with 3 series and a movie. they just never learn.
I loved ep1 and thought it was funny enough but you are very right in saying that Kyoko is a weak lead. You just can't pick Nagase as lead and think it will do just fine. I am sure of his talent in acting but in order to make a good drama, you need other factors to consider too.
will watch ep2 tonigh. i am sure i will enjoy it as ep1. :P
i only wish that Tomoya can do/ be picked up for doing a drama that has zero comdey/silly/slap stcik humour....in the future. what is wrong in doing something like Shiroi Haru, Ninkyo Helper, Triangle style dramas? :crazy:

Ladymercury

Post by Ladymercury » Aug 5th, '09, 17:26

i only wish that Tomoya can do/ be picked up for doing a drama that has zero comdey/silly/slap stcik humour....in the future. what is wrong in doing something like Shiroi Haru, Ninkyo Helper, Triangle style dramas? Crazy
Because they tank in the ratings

Hakusen Nagashi is a good one though, I dont believe that failed -- Granted they got a drama, and like four specials out of it. But you can not deny that Tomoya can pull off comedy flawlessly. I don't know, but I'll say it like I have before: Tomoya is at his best doing comedies.

Issy

Post by Issy » Aug 5th, '09, 17:40

Ladymercury wrote:
i only wish that Tomoya can do/ be picked up for doing a drama that has zero comdey/silly/slap stcik humour....in the future. what is wrong in doing something like Shiroi Haru, Ninkyo Helper, Triangle style dramas? Crazy

Hakusen Nagashi is a good one though, I dont believe that failed -- Granted they got a drama, and like four specials out of it. But you can not deny that Tomoya can pull off comedy flawlessly. I don't know, but I'll say it like I have before: Tomoya is at his best doing comedies.
But Utahime was in Comdey, Romance genre and it "tanked in ranking" too. :scratch:
I don't know, but somehow his no comedy stuff, appeals more to me with exception of Tiger & Dragon that i think is a pure genius work.

Ladymercury

Post by Ladymercury » Aug 5th, '09, 19:12

Issy wrote:
Ladymercury wrote:

But Utahime was in Comdey, Romance genre and it "tanked in ranking" too. :scratch:
I don't know, but somehow his no comedy stuff, appeals more to me with exception of Tiger & Dragon that i think is a pure genius work.
lol, Utahime wasn't a comedy IMO. Especially after episode 5, it just was a big drama fest. I only laughed two times in Utahime, when Nagase beats up Croissant and when Sabako grabs James' penis and pulls him out of the movie theater.

Issy

Post by Issy » Aug 5th, '09, 21:35

:lol :lol :lol that was funny indeed.
BTW, ep3 is out now. :cheers:

Ladymercury

Post by Ladymercury » Aug 6th, '09, 06:42

OnigiriFB

Post by OnigiriFB » Aug 6th, '09, 11:59

Ok I just finished watching epi 3 and I really like this series. They've tone down the annoying cross thing and some of the overacting that was done earlier. I really hope that works in its favor. I dunno about Watanabe Anne though... if it's the character I find boring or her in general but I thought she was just blah. Nagase never fails to deliver and this episode parody of dramas and the Korean boom is funny. The actress that played the Korean actress is really pretty.

Just what is the relationship between the PM and Nagase I wonder? I only understand about 80 percent of what they are saying so I'm don't know if they already explained it earlier or if there is something that will be revealed later.

Gambatte Lady Mercury!

chokubi

Post by chokubi » Aug 6th, '09, 13:31

OnigiriFB wrote:The actress that played the Korean actress is really pretty.
Yeah, she should take over Fukada Kyoko's spot IMO. :whistling:

qnhu
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by qnhu » Aug 6th, '09, 14:13

Ugh, I don't like Go Ara at all... Fukada Kyoko is pretty as well, the character she's playing is just a little weird, so she's forcing herself to be cute which is even weirder :glare:

Ladymercury

Post by Ladymercury » Aug 7th, '09, 14:36

From what I get so far, the PM wants to give Nagase redemption. He know's Kyousuke isn't a bad guy -- there's a reason why he did what he did -- so that's why he gave Kyousuke his chance. Granted, I haven't watched ep 3 yet. Busy working on eps 1 and 2.

Kyoko Fukada... I always got this cold **** attitude and personality from her, so the cutesy hot femme fatel is hard to watch. But its funny, cause didn't she play a dumbass with big boobs in Yama onna kabe onna?

fleng

Post by fleng » Aug 7th, '09, 15:03

Not bad first episode.. kinda draggy though and the comedic timing was sometimes off, that happens everytimes when he holds his cross. But otherwise a show to watch. I find Kyoko Fukada pretty funny and cute. Ah how she aged :) .

Baruch Menachem

Post by Baruch Menachem » Aug 7th, '09, 19:25

Sounds more like a combo of Get Smart (The shoe phone) and It Takes a theif (My favorite 70's spy show)

I look forward to it. I am going to hunt it down now.

Issy

Post by Issy » Aug 12th, '09, 00:04

watched ep2, i thought it was much better than ep1 and i liked it more.
this is mad thinkinh BUT
could it be that Dorothy is a man or used to be a man??????? :blink :blink :blink
something Kyosuke said to dorothy about being a man before. :scratch:
i said is mad thinking. :lol

OnigiriFB

Post by OnigiriFB » Aug 12th, '09, 17:19

Ok I got done watching epi 4 and am really liking this series. They are finally starting to get more into Nagase's background and what makes him tick. I love whoever is doing th styling for this drama. The clothing for Kyon-kyon and the chick that's always hanging on the boss is really fun. Episode 4's guest was Takahisa Masuda and he looked good. The only problem I had with this episode is Watanabe Anne is still blah for me, too twiggy and kind flat.

furransu
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by furransu » Aug 12th, '09, 17:39

Issy wrote:watched ep2, i thought it was much better than ep1 and i liked it more.
this is mad thinkinh BUT
im wondering, where did u watch ep2 with sub :) ? i want to see more dorothy :)

Issy

Post by Issy » Aug 12th, '09, 21:58

furransu wrote:
Issy wrote:watched ep2, i thought it was much better than ep1 and i liked it more.
this is mad thinkinh BUT
im wondering, where did u watch ep2 with sub :) ? i want to see more dorothy :)
Oh, NO. I am watching them raw. only ep1 subbed by Querbeet is out at the moment. will watch ep3 & 4 tonight :cheers: :P

Issy

Post by Issy » Aug 13th, '09, 21:45

OK, i am more than ever convinced that Dorothy
is a guy. there has been more hints in ep3 and 4.
won't be even suprised considering this drama's theme.

scarlet st.

Post by scarlet st. » Aug 17th, '09, 01:25

huuurgh, why is there nobody seeding the HD raws :(

Moodilic

Post by Moodilic » Aug 18th, '09, 23:51

scarlet st. wrote:huuurgh, why is there nobody seeding the HD raws :(
That is because I have a lot of stuff going on with other uploads. I'm uploading so I won't forget later and so that ppl won't complain asking about when the torrent will be up.
I do have more than one p2p client up serving other uploads and in this case I have to prioritize that.

Don't worry, I'll seed until completion but for now, please endure it a little bit longer.

scarlet st.

Post by scarlet st. » Aug 25th, '09, 19:33

Moodilic wrote:
scarlet st. wrote:huuurgh, why is there nobody seeding the HD raws :(
That is because I have a lot of stuff going on with other uploads. I'm uploading so I won't forget later and so that ppl won't complain asking about when the torrent will be up.
I do have more than one p2p client up serving other uploads and in this case I have to prioritize that.

Don't worry, I'll seed until completion but for now, please endure it a little bit longer.
I shall!

hafizadam

Post by hafizadam » Aug 25th, '09, 19:53

someone need a seedbox =P

justpeachy

Post by justpeachy » Oct 19th, '09, 18:51

Finished watching the drama today. I wasn't sure if I was going to keep watching it (right away, i mean) after watching the first episode. Thought I would put it on hold and watch something else. But I decided to keep watching because I adore Nagase. I'm glad I kept going because it got better after the first episode. This drama is funny (I love slapstick) and it totally reminded me of the old Get Smart show I loved so much.
fleng wrote:kinda draggy though and the comedic timing was sometimes off, that happens everytimes when he holds his cross.
Yeah, that got really annoying. They should've shown him holding it for only the first episode, then just kept it short with only the quick glowy part and the eyes sparkle.

nhk9

Post by nhk9 » Mar 6th, '10, 05:10

*Don't read if you have not watched it!!

The first episode was a bit tedious with the bus thingy (kinda reminds me of Speed) that lasted for more than 90 minutes. You could tell that you wouldn't need to be serious about it. The end of the drama though,was quite touchy in that a very strong message was sent:

To forgive others is to forgive yourself. The people who are strong can do that. Only when you can forgive others is when you can start a new relationship.

These are very powerful messages that I hope everyone could take with them. Overall, I felt that there was a more convincing character shift in this for Nagase's character than MBMH. I enjoyed the drama.

8/10