[Discussion] Shiroi Haru (Abe Hiroshi,Yoshitaka Yuriko..)

Discuss Japanese drama series here.
Tadanga

Post by Tadanga » May 28th, '09, 23:37

zettaiKaren wrote:Hi Res Screen shots of ep. 5 (lots of Yoshitaka Yuriko closeups :w00t: )

http://bbs.btpig.com/viewthread.php?tid=837733&page=66
As a heads up :
My browser goes crazy when I try the above site.
I get a malware alarm so I stayed away.

zettaiKaren

Post by zettaiKaren » May 29th, '09, 03:19

Tadanga wrote:
zettaiKaren wrote:Hi Res Screen shots of ep. 5 (lots of Yoshitaka Yuriko closeups :w00t: )

http://bbs.btpig.com/viewthread.php?tid=837733&page=66
As a heads up :
My browser goes crazy when I try the above site.
I get a malware alarm so I stayed away.
I'm running latest version of IE8, Firefox 3, Symantec Antivirus/Firewall, and Spyware Doctor w/ auto prtect enabled and I didn't run into any problems. This site (not this particular thread) is visited by literally thousands of users every day and I'm sure their admin will be the first to know if there's a problem.

Still, I'll remove the posts just in case; they've outlived their usefulness anyway.

TG3

Post by TG3 » May 29th, '09, 04:21

Just finished EP 07 (on a side note, this really isn't a "hard" drama to watch unsubbed if your Japanese is intermediate), and I really don't know what to expect next. Ep 06 kind of had a "midpoint ending" feel to it. They honestly could have ended it there, and it would have had an ending more satisfying than most dramas out there. From here on out, it looks like they're gonna have a few twists and turns, I just hope they don't turn out disastrous or really sad.

BTW, am I the only one who wants to see Haruo's two housemates hook up? I kind of see them as a younger parallel to Haruo and Mariko. I hope Haruo can help them out so they don't turn out like he and Mariko did.

Also, I have some speculation on what is to come:
I think Sachi has some type of genetic sickness that will probably require a blood transfusion or organ transplant. Her only hope will be Haruo

zettaiKaren

Post by zettaiKaren » May 29th, '09, 09:05

TG3 wrote:Also, I have some speculation on what is to come:
I think Sachi has some type of genetic sickness that will probably require a blood transfusion or organ transplant. Her only hope will be Haruo
I hope they don't go the KDrama-ish route for the ending, although I agree something bad is going to happen before the climax in the finale.
IMO Haruo's only viable option is to leave Sachi. Based on what I know about the Japanese culture (and some Asian culture as well), Sachi will be stigmatized if their relationship becomes public. The longer he works in the bakery, the higher the probability that this will get exposed. She'll be isolated, get bullied/despised by her classmates and Haruo certainly doesn't want that to happen. It's only a question of whether he will leave her as a result of an explosive incident (like seeking revenge for the 800M yen, or rescuing Shiori and her partner from the Yakuza), or just leaves Tokyo quietly and seeks solitude elsewhere.

Having said that, I'll be more than happy to be proven wrong if the writer can come up w/ an ending where not only everyone lives happily ever-after but is realistic and logical as well.

tobashinki

Post by tobashinki » May 29th, '09, 13:06

Looks like an interesting series..
Not watch it yet..

airskape

Post by airskape » May 31st, '09, 16:43

that bastard got a kiss from shiori! :(

Tadanga

Post by Tadanga » May 31st, '09, 16:52

I wouldn't go as far as calling that a kiss.
It was more of a smooch, you'd kiss a pet the same way.
And the poor guy deserves some kind of reward for tagging along and being so "useful".
Another reason why I always rush to stop the file when the previews come up.

But what got me in Ep 7 is :
Haruo's entry into his daughter's universe. That long look around the room was so powerful. Him watching his daughter thanking the other guy for being a great Dad : Batsu janai ?

zettaiKaren

Post by zettaiKaren » Jun 2nd, '09, 19:00

Just saw the hi-res screencaps for ep. 8 and preview for ep. 9, and :faint:
there's one that may support your speculation, although I really really hope they don't go that route. It's so cliche'd and the I thought the writer is so much more capable than coming up with this sort of thing. :cussing: I sincerely hope it's because of something else :pray:

Tadanga

Post by Tadanga » Jun 2nd, '09, 19:27

With a total of 12 episodes, we are now beginning the roller-coaster part the show.
Tanoshimi !!

gryzze, yoroshiku !

Machihxh

Post by Machihxh » Jun 3rd, '09, 08:41

I just finished watching Ep 8 and Abe Hiroshi just never stops to amaze me with his impeccable acting in this drama. There are so many moments where he just makes me :lol with the countless facial expressions he makes throughout this series. I especially [spoiler] enjoy the conversations he has with Murakami-san at the back when he tells him what to do with Sachi and how Murakami-san says "If I fix it then it's fine right/If I do it then it's fine right?" at times of Sachi's test marks and her food preferences(with the egg) from the previous ep's, etc. I was so shocked when I saw Ep 9's preview as I saw Sachi had collapsed, and then when I heard Murakami-san tell Haruo that she might have the same illness that her mother did. :-( and TG3 you may be right about your speculation if that does become to be true as they might have to get Haruo's help and maybe then the Murakami's will think about telling Sachi about Haruo being the father as a way of saying Thank you for helping Sachi out? I'm not sure, I'm just thinking maybe..... I guess we'll have to see :S[/spoiler]

zettaiKaren

Post by zettaiKaren » Jun 4th, '09, 09:10

OK, after watching ep. 8 and the preview for ep. 9, I'm not as upset about the narrative coincidence as I was when I first saw the screen shots. Here's my 2 cents:
IMO it's not that illogical for Sachi to have the same type of illness as her mom. I think Sachi will eventually end up fine; Haruo's willingness to sacrifice himself for Mariko means he'll have no qualms doing the same for her to obtain the necessary funds for her operation/treatment. He'll either retrieve the missing 800M yen or, as the ending of ep. 8 hinted, do something illegal for the Yakuza boss he just met.

Either way I think he'll sacrifice himself, and never see Sachi again after she's cured. As I said before, his only viable solution seems to be distancing himself from Sachi anyway, for the sake of her future. :-(

Tadanga

Post by Tadanga » Jun 4th, '09, 09:58

Haruo is being put through all 7 levels of Hell to atone for his original sin and if the Japanese understanding of redemption is anything like the rest of the world, we should expect a nice ending to this thing.

At least, they could go on officially as a two-dad family as they are doing now. And yes, I also see the second half of the show to mirror the beginning where Haruo will be put in the exact same situation (all the pieces are in place : same disease, young hood with a murder plan) but I hope the outcome will be different.

zettaiKaren

Post by zettaiKaren » Jun 9th, '09, 17:25

Courtesy of btpig.
:cry:

Post by 1923814 » Jun 10th, '09, 04:30

Episode 9.
So who else thinks that they're going to fail sachi's surgery?

Tadanga

Post by Tadanga » Jun 10th, '09, 07:15

YABAI !!!
And no previews of next episode, hidoi gryzze-san !!
Sachan, ganbatte !

Issy

Post by Issy » Jun 10th, '09, 22:47

1923814 wrote:Episode 9.
So who else thinks that they're going to fail sachi's surgery?
just finished watching ep9
i don't think that her surgery going to fail but i am guessing they will need blood transfusion and haru will be the only suitable person there to give her blood.

I can't have enough of haru's (Abe Hiroshi's) sad face and red teary eyes. it's so emotional to watch those scenes and again made me :cry:

even though i liked murakami at the begining of this ep for opening up to haru more, but i was very angry at kind of treatment he got when sachi fell sick. i missjudged mariko's sister by thinking she will creat more problem for haru. now i think she would be the one defend haru's rights as sachi's father.

even if later on murakami decided to tell sachi the truth about her real dad, i think haru would be the one to stop him. not because all bulling, problems she has to face because of haru's past but because he realised that she is more open and at ease with him than her current dad.
the scene in hospital where she told haru that she lied to her dad and is really scared of the surgery. she can easily talk about her problems/worries ... with haru rather than murakami and i think haru has noticed this bit.

shiori is just so much fun to watch too. the way she dressed up because she thought haru has asked her on a date was so hillarious. shiori and her boyfriend are just so adorable to watch. can't have enough of them.
over all, another great ep. :cheers:

zettaiKaren

Post by zettaiKaren » Jun 16th, '09, 17:02

Ep 10.
Courtesy of btpig.

At least it doesn't seem to be going in the direction I'd feared. :sweat: From the rest of the caps, looks like the 800M yen mystery won't be revealed until next week's finale.

Tadanga

Post by Tadanga » Jun 16th, '09, 17:17

zettaiKaren wrote:Ep 10.
At least it doesn't seem to be going in the direction I'd feared. :sweat: From the rest of the caps, looks like the 800M yen mystery won't be revealed until next week's finale.
Wait a minute, isn't there supposed to be 12 episodes ?
If so, there are another 2 episodes and the finale should be in 2 weeks.
Am I wrong ?

zettaiKaren

Post by zettaiKaren » Jun 16th, '09, 18:06

Tadanga wrote:
zettaiKaren wrote:Ep 10.
Wait a minute, isn't there supposed to be 12 episodes ?
If so, there are another 2 episodes and the finale should be in 2 weeks.
Am I wrong ?
I'm pretty sure there's only 11 episodes.

BTW, you can download the rest of the screen shots of ep. 10 here (again courtesy of btpig)

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=QE9WPXEQ

Tadanga

Post by Tadanga » Jun 16th, '09, 18:24

You're right. There are only 11 episodes.
The official site mentions the finale for next week. (6/23)
Oh well.

zettaiKaren

Post by zettaiKaren » Jun 17th, '09, 13:09

For those who've watched ep. 10...
now that Haruo has severed ties with Sachi and the Murakami family and has seemingly nothing to live for, who thinks he's going to seek revenge for the stolen 800M (as hinted by the preview to next week's finale)?

Tadanga

Post by Tadanga » Jun 17th, '09, 15:44

I am definitely not holding my breath.
Haruo's decision to leave the field was not shocking in itself since 2 had become a crowd.
But for breaking that little girl's heart, yurusenai !

And here we go again with yet another show attempting to wrap up half a dozen under developed story lines in the finale.
The 11-episode cap in Jdrama keeps things very light and superficial to make sure nobody gets offended. God forbid one of these shows actually starts a national debate on a sensitive issue.

Anyway, I see Haruo getting half of the bar since it is his money that got the joint started, thus making him financially independent and worthy of keeping contact with his daughter.
Sachi will be told the truth. By whom I don't know, but she will stay home with Panya-san who will finally get down with the sister-in-waiting.
And the writers will write off the roommates by marrying them.

The End.
I don't mean to sound ungrateful : I did enjoy this show but I am disappointed by the huge gap between what the show could have been and what it is turning out to be.
Huge congratulations to the revelation of the show Ohashi Nozomi playing the part of Sachi. I am sure we will see more of her in the future.

zettaiKaren

Post by zettaiKaren » Jun 18th, '09, 14:46

Tadanga wrote:I am definitely not holding my breath.
Haruo's decision to leave the field was not shocking in itself since 2 had become a crowd.
But for breaking that little girl's heart, yurusenai !

And here we go again with yet another show attempting to wrap up half a dozen under developed story lines in the finale.
The 11-episode cap in Jdrama keeps things very light and superficial to make sure nobody gets offended. God forbid one of these shows actually starts a national debate on a sensitive issue.

Anyway, I see Haruo getting half of the bar since it is his money that got the joint started, thus making him financially independent and worthy of keeping contact with his daughter.
Sachi will be told the truth. By whom I don't know, but she will stay home with Panya-san who will finally get down with the sister-in-waiting.
And the writers will write off the roommates by marrying them.

The End.
I don't mean to sound ungrateful : I did enjoy this show but I am disappointed by the huge gap between what the show could have been and what it is turning out to be.
Huge congratulations to the revelation of the show Ohashi Nozomi playing the part of Sachi. I am sure we will see more of her in the future.
I think the decision on the length of a drama is mostly made by the TV stations; 11 doesn't seem to be a hard cap.

Even though I agree w/ most of your sentiment, just for fun this is my wild guess for the finale:
The Yakuza didn't pay out the 8M in the first place, so Haruo goes after the boss who appeared in ep. 08 (he let Haruo and Shiori go because he knows he owed him one). He either gets some of the money back peacefully, or some melee ensued and he 1). is forced to flee, or 2). ends up w/ a fatal wound, but not before giving the money to his friend to take care of his daughter. Either way he won't see Sachi again, and the other 2 relationships (Murakami and Kanoko, Shiori and whatever his name is) will either be brushed over or end in an open-ended way that suggest eventual marriage. The end.
Haha, been seeing too many heroic bloodshed movies in my life... :alcoholic:

furransu
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by furransu » Jun 18th, '09, 15:34

i still think the money was taken by his friend to build the bar .. lol

Issy

Post by Issy » Jun 18th, '09, 16:11

furransu wrote:i still think the money was taken by his friend to build the bar .. lol
i think so too.

ZoddGuts

Post by ZoddGuts » Jun 22nd, '09, 23:56

Love this series really been enjoying it. Let's see if it ends happily. My guess at least by the previews I'll end:
with he's daughter finding him at the very end and telling him she knows the truth. How everything plays out after that don't know... maybe she'll tell him that she'll keep it a secret between the two of them and may meet from time to time.
As for the time whole deal with the money. Didn't it show in one of the flashbacks that when she was taken to the hospital that she wouldn't have the surgery because she was pregnant? Maybe he's friend did take the money to her but she turn him down because if she had the surgery/treatment it would kill the baby inside her and she didn't want that so she choose to have the baby eventhough it meant her life would be short, even after having the baby it would be to late to have the surgery/treatment. He's friend doesn't seem to be the type of guy who would betray him especially for some bar...

Tadanga

Post by Tadanga » Jun 23rd, '09, 05:52

For some reason I am expecting a tearful "give her this when she is old enough to understand"- type letter from Mariko to appear at the most convenient moment to straighten everything out.
Konno Mahiru was really underused until now that's why I think she will get some major screen time in tonight's finale.

dajika

Post by dajika » Jun 23rd, '09, 14:15

Without giving away the spoilers, I've just caught the finale on keyhole and was greatly disappointed at how they ended everything in a lazy manner within a short time. Although the ending is almost what I've expected from since ep 8 (which gives a hint of Haruo's future), I feel that the writer could have wrapped up things in a better way, instead of running out of time and give us an ending just for the sake of ending. A lackluster conclusion to what I consider the best drama of the season.

Tadanga

Post by Tadanga » Jun 23rd, '09, 16:30

>dajika : Thanks for the heads up.

Obviously, this lowers expectations even more.

In case I come back flaming after seeing the finale, I should say now that I enjoyed Shiroi Haru very much, it was a highly emotional and touching show with a great cast.
Otsukare sama deshita !!

For more of Abe Hiroshi doing his Haruo routine, check out this movie : Jigyaku no Uta (2007)
Panya-san is in it too doing his usual pass blocking.

zettaiKaren

Post by zettaiKaren » Jun 23rd, '09, 16:44

The finale. I know the missing 8M and the confrontation w/ the Yakuza in ep. 08 is going to get resolved in the finale, just didn't expect it to end this way.
Courtesy of btpig.
:cry:

gauri92

Post by gauri92 » Jun 23rd, '09, 17:39

alrite....can sum one tell me in clear terms what happened??? i really wanna know please!!!!

Issy

Post by Issy » Jun 24th, '09, 01:14

i knew it. i should have known that when i cried in every single ep throug out this drama, i am going to cry ten times more by the last ep :cry: :cry: :cry:
why on earth, they have to end it like this? i thought of every possible sad ending excep this one. I really did not see that coming at all.
all of us who thought of his friend taking 8M and buying his shop with it, were right then.
but i still don't see why haru has to die at the end. atleast dying while trying to protect murakami was good enough but i thought the eding was very rushed.
he could have continued living and working with that old guy in his resturant and not having anything with sachi anymore.
i really don't know. but as i am very emotional about this ending, i think it was a bad conclusion to this great drama. maybe in few days time, i might have a different opinion about it.

zettaiKaren

Post by zettaiKaren » Jun 24th, '09, 01:45

Issy wrote:i knew it. i should have known that when i cried in every single ep throug out this drama, i am going to cry ten times more by the last ep :cry: :cry: :cry:
why on earth, they have to end it like this? i thought of every possible sad ending excep this one. I really did not see that coming at all.
all of us who thought of his friend taking 8M and buying his shop with it, were right then.
but i still don't see why haru has to die at the end. atleast dying while trying to protect murakami was good enough but i thought the eding was very rushed.
he could have continued living and working with that old guy in his resturant and not having anything with sachi anymore.
i really don't know. but as i am very emotional about this ending, i think it was a bad conclusion to this great drama. maybe in few days time, i might have a different opinion about it.
The ending was very rushed, I don't think many people can argue against that. The drama could have been benefited from an extra episode or even 15 extra minutes in the finale; a sign of budget constraint brought on by the current economic climate perhaps? That said, IMO the writer/director could have trimmed some of the fat from the other episodes to compensate.
Like the episode where Sachi was hospitalized; I don't sense a major reason other than strengthening their bonds (which IMO is strong enough already). I mean she didn't inherit the same decease from her mom; her hospital bill didn't cause Murakami any big problems (hence tempting Haruo to retrieve the 8M), and there's no organ transplant/blood transfusion necessary from Haruo.

I think the appearance of the Yakuza boss in ep. 08 pretty much sealed his fate. He didn't just let Haruo and Shiori go w/o a good reason. I don't mind the ending so much as long as they spent more time on the Yakuza angle, building up the suspense so the audience can anticipate that something bad may happen. As it is, it is just too jarring and is almost as bad as Haruo suddenly being run over by a truck and died.

dajika

Post by dajika » Jun 24th, '09, 02:01

zettaiKaren, I do agree with you on the Yakuza aspect, they should build it up instead of giving us a shocker near to the end.

To be fair to the writer, there can never be a satisfactory ending given to how the series built up since the first episode. There is always the danger of Haruo's past coming back to haunt him and while this proves quite true with his death (which I can accept), the execution is simply too rushed. It seems like they were trying to tease us with a happy ending before dealing us a blow with such a cruel twist.

I seriously think it would be better if they devoted more time during and after Haruo's death, showing how the people around him cope with his loss, particularly Sachi who needs time to accept the fact that Haruo is her father and how he died.

Frankly speaking, I'm quite satisfied with how the 8M yen plotline was resolved, but I don't like how some of the characters have been chucked aside, such as Kanako and Shiori.

I still need to watch the raw and the subs later in order to form an overall review of the show but as it stands, I don't feel the urge to rewatch the show from the start now.

Akiramike
Fansubber
Fansubber
Australia

Post by Akiramike » Jun 24th, '09, 08:46

Still in shock over the ending. :(

furransu
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by furransu » Jun 24th, '09, 10:26

dinosaurkun has finished and uploaded ep11 subs ^^ time to watch and cry T_T

citrone

Post by citrone » Jun 24th, '09, 11:20

furransu wrote:dinosaurkun has finished and uploaded ep11 subs ^^ time to watch and cry T_T
iIncredibely fasttttt

Issy

Post by Issy » Jun 24th, '09, 14:38

furransu wrote:dinosaurkun has finished and uploaded ep11 subs ^^ time to watch and cry T_T
i watched most of this drama raw. I don't think i will be watching this drama with subs again even though it was one of my most favourite dramas of this season. watching this drama once was pretty emotional and its ending makes me never want to come back and re-watch.
but it made me wanting to go and watch every Abe Hiroshi's drama. he was just great as haru. i don't think any other actor can portrait this character better than him.
and i am with zettaikaren too in that so many gaps was left out in the story.
Shiori is the most important character that was left out unexplained in the drama. she could have been a great sidestory in this drama. her relationship with her family her father could have so many common issues with haru & sachi.

i too thought that they wasted lots of times on sachi and her problems that did not end in productive results. as mentioned above, the whole scare about sachi's life/ her mother illness was started with big bang but ended up so soon. like we kept guessing that haru's help might be needed in here to save sachi's life but then we found out that is nothing related to it and haru goes out of picture again.

murakami's money problems after sachi's surgery and we think might end up to discovery of that lost 8M and then ends up no where again.

and as said above again, the whole yakuza and haru's problem.

but i still think Shiori was kind of neglected character in this story that had so much potential to strengthen the over all story.

horent135

Post by horent135 » Jun 24th, '09, 14:46

I think in the last ep. Yuriko or the couple will become rich cause there might be a someone is interested in Haru story that Yuriko keep blogging on the net. And will sell that story to the world and becomes the best seller story!

hellsingmeister

Post by hellsingmeister » Jun 24th, '09, 15:05

Just finished the last ep. The storyline was good minus some gap, if they fill the gap surely this drama will be superb. For me this drama was the best drama that came out since Bara No Nai Hanaya

«minah»

Post by «minah» » Jun 25th, '09, 01:13

I think the ending was so...... bleeh. I dunno, it would have been better if the baker died, and then Haruo would be.... kinda on the spot to be the "dad." It's so like a drama when as soon as she found out that's really her dad, he goes and dies. Makes me wonder what was the point of it being made? To tease a guy who can't ever father his child? When he didn't know he was even a dad for like the past 9 years... And Then when Haruo got killed. "I'm some random guy out of nowhere who now wants revenge, even though no one knew my dad had a son, and how I even managed to find where this Haruo guy works and when he got of jail..... Who is now gonna kill Haruo!" I agree with the other people who said this was too rushed. At least give some lead-ons that there was some actually <i>trying</i> to kill Haruo.... Minus the last eppy, I really like the drama. I just don't like the conclusion of things.... So after all that happen, Sachi might matured a little, but they pretty much go back to their regular lives.... And those other two get cast aside.., where they <i>really</i> dating? Did they get an apartment of their own? Who knows....... Maybe Haruo's impact was to teach the baker and aunt not to judge a book by its cover (Yeah, I'm like being so harsh and mean... sorry!) Even if the post-death was done better.... but yeah! I liked the series enough to wanna save it... so yay!

furransu
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by furransu » Jun 25th, '09, 01:57

omg.. i cried on the last episode.. totally unexpected.. :(

Machihxh

Post by Machihxh » Jun 25th, '09, 09:52

I agree with most people that the ending was very much rushed. Also, this episode was so much more emotional!!! :cry: :cry: , I can't believe that [spoiler]Haruo had to die like that, which was totally a shock to me like everyone else was. But that scene where Haruo is lying unconscious on his bed and Sachi telling him to wake up and her calling him "Otousan", I guess she somehow knew all along that he was her real father, and that scene proved it as she called him "Otousan", and that especially was such a sad scene as well. :cry: [/spoiler] I really did enjoy this drama though. It was too bad that it had to end the way it did and in such a rushed way... :-( Great drama though!!! One of the best this season!!

gauri92

Post by gauri92 » Jun 25th, '09, 17:18

i couldn't believe it..!!! i cried most of the time during the episode...hell, i cried all the time...!!!

CP93

Post by CP93 » Jun 25th, '09, 19:58

If Abe doesn't win an award for his acting in this, then something's wrong.

zettaiKaren

Post by zettaiKaren » Jun 26th, '09, 18:24

Read from other boards that Fuji Telebi was inundated w/ phone calls complaining about the ending, using terms like 'bakayaro'. On 2CH, people were flaming the drama's production staff (with even more expletives) for sacrificing logic and reason solely for the purpose of shocking the audience.

I'm not convinced that this is entirely the fault of the writer, as the chief director also directed the bulk of the episodes in Triangle, where the use of red herrings that either lead to nowhere or were not properly explained, and shock just for shock's sake are very similar to how they are used in this drama.
Last edited by zettaiKaren on Jun 26th, '09, 18:49, edited 1 time in total.

ZoddGuts

Post by ZoddGuts » Jun 26th, '09, 18:46

«minah» wrote:

I think the ending was so...... bleeh. I dunno, it would have been better if the baker died, and then Haruo would be.... kinda on the spot to be the "dad." It's so like a drama when as soon as she found out that's really her dad, he goes and dies. Makes me wonder what was the point of it being made? To tease a guy who can't ever father his child? When he didn't know he was even a dad for like the past 9 years... And Then when Haruo got killed. "I'm some random guy out of nowhere who now wants revenge, even though no one knew my dad had a son, and how I even managed to find where this Haruo guy works and when he got of jail..... Who is now gonna kill Haruo!" I agree with the other people who said this was too rushed. At least give some lead-ons that there was some actually <i>trying</i> to kill Haruo.... Minus the last eppy, I really like the drama. I just don't like the conclusion of things.... So after all that happen, Sachi might matured a little, but they pretty much go back to their regular lives.... And those other two get cast aside.., where they <i>really</i> dating? Did they get an apartment of their own? Who knows....... Maybe Haruo's impact was to teach the baker and aunt not to judge a book by its cover (Yeah, I'm like being so harsh and mean... sorry!) Even if the post-death was done better.... but yeah! I liked the series enough to wanna save it... so yay!
I'm pretty sure he wasn't some random guy that came out of nowhere. Wasn't he the guy who had drugged Shiori? After leaving the hotel room we see him with a very pissed off look towards Haruo when he's car passes by Harou like he wanted to kill him... if it wasn't that guy then yeah this guy really came out of nowhere in the final ep.

Wish we could have seen a bit more of Shiori towards the end.

zettaiKaren

Post by zettaiKaren » Jun 26th, '09, 19:18

ZoddGuts wrote:I'm pretty sure he wasn't some random guy that came out of nowhere. Wasn't he the guy who had drugged Shiori? After leaving the hotel room we see him with a very pissed off look towards Haruo when he's car passes by Harou like he wanted to kill him... if it wasn't that guy then yeah this guy really came out of nowhere in the final ep.
No, I don't think he is. One logical explanation would be
The Yakuza boss who let Haruo and Shiori go in ep. 08 either has ties to the gang whose leader was killed by Haruo, or he may be the new boss of the gang. So he provided info on Haruo's whereabouts to the assassin.

ZoddGuts

Post by ZoddGuts » Jun 26th, '09, 22:51

zettaiKaren wrote:
ZoddGuts wrote:I'm pretty sure he wasn't some random guy that came out of nowhere. Wasn't he the guy who had drugged Shiori? After leaving the hotel room we see him with a very pissed off look towards Haruo when he's car passes by Harou like he wanted to kill him... if it wasn't that guy then yeah this guy really came out of nowhere in the final ep.
No, I don't think he is. One logical explanation would be
The Yakuza boss who let Haruo and Shiori go in ep. 08 either has ties to the gang whose leader was killed by Haruo, or he may be the new boss of the gang. So he provided info on Haruo's whereabouts to the assassin.
Yeah I was thinking of that as well, would have like their to been a scene of that but their wasn't, so it feels sudden.

CP93

Post by CP93 » Jun 26th, '09, 23:42

He's not some random guy, and he's not related to the chimpira who abducted the girl.

He's
the son of the guy Haruo killed, the one he got sent to prison for. Didn't you guys notice the flashback to the shooting when the kid says who he is?

ZoddGuts

Post by ZoddGuts » Jun 27th, '09, 01:21

CP93 wrote:He's not some random guy, and he's not related to the chimpira who abducted the girl.

He's
the son of the guy Haruo killed, the one he got sent to prison for. Didn't you guys notice the flashback to the shooting when the kid says who he is?
Yes I know he's the son of that mobster that got killed, thought he may have been the guy that showed up a few episodes back. The thing is it felt like he was just suddenly thrown in at the end without any forshadowing or build up that he may show up nor was it mention that the Yakuza boss had a son. Would have prefered if it was the other guy that had drugged Shiori show up at the end since it looked like he had shown a very hateful disdain look towards Harou in that one scene after finding that he (Harou) was the one that killed that Yakuza boss, then there's Shiori mentioning that may be bad for Harou now that those guys know about him during the same episode. This would have been good forshadowing for that one guy with the hateful/distain look to show up later on except it was another guy that showed up that we didn't know exist in the story.

TG3

Post by TG3 » Jun 28th, '09, 06:23

The story makes perfect sense if you've seen yakuza-related movies or stories. No matter how much one tries to change, he gets sucked back in. That being said, I'm disappointed they used that cliche here.

Also, the writer is far too ambiguous and as many said before, leaves too much threads hanging. The writer is the same as Kekkon Dekinai Otoko, Masaya Ozaki, and that drama, too, suffers from the same flat, inconclusive ending. I didn't mind it as much in that one, because it was a comedy, but this was a pretty good emotional drama, so I thought it "deserved" a better ending.

A sad conclusion need not necessarily have a bad ending. Sekai no Chushin de.., Byakuyakou, Kamisama Mou Sukoshi Dake, and Beautiful Life all have absolutely tragic endings, but the tragedy is given proper perspective and meaning in their conclusions. This one wasn't!
What I thought was needed was the big "secret" to be outted definitively. Sure, every person knows Haruo = Sachi's dad, but it's still kind of an unspoken thing. They should have made the last scene a flash forward by 2-5 yrs. If two, they could have used the original Sachi, if more they could have had a teenage Sachi. Before they go to the graves of Mariko and Haruo, like they do every year, Sachi's father should have sat down and told her everything, how Haruo was her real father, that he got into some bad trouble to help her mom, and that he loved them both very much." Sure, it doesn't change much, but we get that much needed, definitive closure.

I think the ending of Sekachuu is the perfect example. Nothing really changed in the end. Aki was still dead, and Sakutaro was still suffering, but the letter at the end gives us resolution.
Regardless, Hiroshi Abe is still Best Actor-worthy, and I wouldn't mind Nozomi Ohashi getting the Best Supporting Actress nod. Like others here said, Shiori and Yuki are kind of wasted. The writer should have made them a parallel to Haruo/Mariko.
I would have loved to have seen them as a couple at Haruo's grave instead of them just hinted at. See, it's little things like these that don't take much but go a long way to making the story better.

calimerina

Post by calimerina » Jun 28th, '09, 10:47

I think that this dorama was intended to last 12 episodes but it was cut short because of the low-average ratings and the decision was taken after shooting most of the episodes. The yakuza guy who kidnapped Shiori and gave a scary look to Haruo maybe had originally a role in the ending but there wasn't time to develop his storyline, so the writer had to throw in the ending another guy never shown before who doesn't need a new storyline why he hates Haruo but he simply has to say who he is.

totemokakkoii

Post by totemokakkoii » Jun 28th, '09, 15:40

actually i thought...
they didn't have to make haruo die to end the story. i was pretty touch at the part where sachi brought haruo to see her drawings at the exihibition. i thought the story could just end there, and maybe with the bread man (forgot his name. ha!) agreeing to let haruo be the god-father of sachi, or something. then make it a happy open ending.

CP93

Post by CP93 » Jun 28th, '09, 22:02

I agree the ending could have been stronger. Seems like a lot of J-Dorama, and movies for that matter, have a great premise, pull you in with the plot and acting, spin out the story well... and then suddenly end with a deus ex machina that ties everything up with a neat little ribbon and leaves you feeling let down.

TG3

Post by TG3 » Jun 29th, '09, 23:17

CP93 wrote:I agree the ending could have been stronger. Seems like a lot of J-Dorama, and movies for that matter, have a great premise, pull you in with the plot and acting, spin out the story well... and then suddenly end with a deus ex machina that ties everything up with a neat little ribbon and leaves you feeling let down.
Yup, there have been so many dramas that are on the verge of being really good but have a poor ending that totally ruins it. For every drama on my Top 20 list, there are probably 20 that "could have been" but whose ending just tanked it for me.

I would still recommend Shiroi Haru to most people, but because of its ending I can't put it in my Top 10.

xk

Post by xk » Jul 1st, '09, 21:58

Miho Shiraishi in that drama is the reason why I watched it... I liked the story "OKAY" from EP1~ 10 and sucked ass on EP11. That chick is pretty as hell...
images removed because it's stupid to post 8 x 0.5mb images = 4mb total to force all of us to download them
- mod

:blink

Issy

Post by Issy » Jul 1st, '09, 22:39

xk wrote:Miho Shiraishi in that drama is the reason why I watched it... I liked the story "OKAY" from EP1~ 10 and sucked ass on EP11. That chick is pretty as hell...
This is very strange considering that you almost threw up last time you saw a japanese drama. (not to forget your sarcastic "HA HA")

here

If you really that interested in her and watched the whole drama for her sake, why don't you make a thread about her in japanese actors and actresses section and post as many pictures as you want.

I think Groink was right about you in his post in your thread.

Maysn
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Maysn » Jul 10th, '09, 23:07

About the ending...
Aaaah, I totally hate the ending!!! Why does always someone have to die?!
But I guess, if one of them wouldn't have died, they wouldn't have been able to decide who the father will be and so it would be an endless story... But still I hate it!!
Like some of you already said, I don't understand why good dramas often have to end so stubid!
Last edited by Maysn on Jul 12th, '09, 08:27, edited 1 time in total.

Ginto-gin

Post by Ginto-gin » Jul 10th, '09, 23:11

Yikes! Major spoiler (above this post) :crazy:

Please use the spoiler tags. Thanks.

gaoban

Post by gaoban » Jul 10th, '09, 23:36

TG3 wrote:
Also, the writer is far too ambiguous and as many said before, leaves too much threads hanging. The writer is the same as Kekkon Dekinai Otoko, Masaya Ozaki, and that drama, too, suffers from the same flat, inconclusive ending. I didn't mind it as much in that one, because it was a comedy, but this was a pretty good emotional drama, so I thought it "deserved" a better ending.
hmm, yea I agree with everyone's opinion about the ending in Shiroi haru and that's the only fault i can find in this season's best dorama. What I don't understand is time and again Kekkon Dekinai Otoko pops up on the list of doramas with unsatisfying endings.. how??. Although the neighbor girl and the co-worker thing was resolved in kind of a rush, they were resolved properly. And the ending i thought was an epitome of perfection.

They bring in the metaphor of dodgeball earlier in the episode which I thought perfectly fitted Hiroshi and Yui's relation to that point. And the last conversation they have, Hiroshi taking the initiative of inviting her kinna indirectly saying "if she insists", Yui responding she doesn't and would only go if "he insists" and lastly Hiroshi saying he does. It perfectly fitted the metaphor of catchball that is the essence of any healthy relationship and what Yui had proposed earlier in the episode. How is this not a perfect ending?

bshater

Post by bshater » Jul 11th, '09, 00:35

[quote="gaoban"][quote="TG3"]

hmm, yea I agree with everyone's opinion about the ending in Shiroi haru and that's the only fault i can find in this season's best dorama. What I don't understand is time and again Kekkon Dekinai Otoko pops up on the list of doramas with unsatisfying endings.. how??. Although the neighbor girl and the co-worker thing was resolved in kind of a rush, they were resolved properly. And the ending i thought was an epitome of perfection.

this i completely agree wtih. i don't understand why people find the ending disappointing, but kekkon's ending was the most original and satisfying i have seen yet. just pure brilliance. :wub:

haven't seen Shiroi's ending yet, but hopefully it won't be as bad as you guys have written.

Maysn
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Maysn » Jul 12th, '09, 08:30

Ginto-gin wrote:Yikes! Major spoiler (above this post) :crazy:

Please use the spoiler tags. Thanks.
I'm sorry... :sweat:

Elitist Grammarian

Post by Elitist Grammarian » Jul 31st, '09, 16:21

I just watched the final episode and I have to say that I agree with you guys. I am really disappointed in the ending.
That guy literally came out of nowhere. You can't just end a drama novel with "and then he died" and I don't see why a TV series should be any different. I really loved this show up until that point too. Such a waste.

kutsushita

Post by kutsushita » Nov 14th, '09, 18:58

I loved this drama and the acting . . . until episode 11. This drama has one of the clumsiest, ill-advised, manipulative endings I've ever seen for a Jdrama. Abe HIroshi is outstanding. What a great actor.

So, I think it's best to ignore the ending and rewrite your own ending. 8)

kim84

anyone could reseed the preview sp?

Post by kim84 » Dec 31st, '09, 02:24

Shiroi Haru Preview SP [2009.04.14] (1280x720 DivX6).avi

thanks in advance!

elushun

Post by elushun » Sep 22nd, '10, 22:46

The thing that bothered me since the beginning of the drama is that Abe Hiroshi only served 9 years in prison for killing somebody?

I haven't seen anybody point that out.

Aren't you suppose to get life in prison for killing somebody in any country?

One other thing I never understood is why does Sachi (the daughter) tell Abe Hiroshi everything and not tell Koji Murakami (the father or step-father) almost nothing and lies to him???

At the end why didn't Shiori (young girl) and Yuki (young guy) show up at the grave?
The ending is very sad and unexpected.

I hate it when there are holes in the drama or movie :glare: