Why are long hair actors popular?! EW!!

Discuss about anything here that doesn't fit in the other categories. Just don't spam.
geminihc

Why are long hair actors popular?! EW!!

Post by geminihc » Jun 5th, '07, 00:55

I am a 24 yr japanese female. i am somewhat repulsed still at the percentage of popular long hair actors in all asian cultures, japan, taiwan, korean and HK (maybe less here). personally, i do not find these "long hair" actors not attractive.maybe i'm a weird girl, but seriosuly what is so good about long hair... to me.. its just too femine. i prefer the more manly looking short to medium hair..

i am an intl student in canada, its good that at least here, not as many guys on the street do not have long hair. but still quite a few. back whe i was younger, there used to be more popular short hair actors, but now... there's very few left!

can anyone post some pictures of good lookng asian actors (doesnt matter where) with shorter hair styles!?

BonnY

Post by BonnY » Jun 5th, '07, 14:44

yeah, me , too! i do also prefer men wiht short hair.
but three points:
first: in europe, there are most men with short hair, because it´s common for the punks and rockers to have long hair
second : long hair suits really beautiful men ( well, most are beautiful)
third: i think, that asian men have smooth and soft features like women.

groink

Post by groink » Jun 5th, '07, 18:06

I'm with the creator of this topic... I am totally anti-metrosexual.

--- groink

malay_tiger

Post by malay_tiger » Jun 5th, '07, 18:24

groink.. you always have the funny quote :lol

Questions :

1) can some one upload the pics of Brad Pitt with short hair and long hair?
2) can some one upload the pics of David Beckham with short hair and long hair?
3) can you imagine Tanaka Koki with really long hair? :scratch:
4) can you imagine all KAT-TUN members bald? or all NEWs members with red indian mohawk style especially YAMAPI (Tomohisa Yamashita)?? hahaha :whistling: :whistling: :whistling:

my opinion.. whether it is short hair or long hair, it depends on the people, well for the Korean actors, short hair looks more macho.. for the Japanese, they are really influenced by anime and manga character, well doesn't matter if their attitude and skill of acting very very good.

like Yamapi and Takashi Sorimachi, they among best Japanese drama actor... no matter what hair they do.. still like to watch their drama... haha :lol

FruitChaat

Post by FruitChaat » Jun 5th, '07, 18:30

malay_tiger- actually koki did have long hair for a while before he finally got sick of it and shaved it off
and ueda from KAT-TUN entered the company bald, though i don't ebelieve there are any pictures of him from back then
and yamap has actually stated the desire to shave his head though he says everyone tells him not to

anyways, when i first got into asian entertainment i wasn't a fan of the long hair either. but then i changed my mind and decided that on them long hair can look good. however every time i see a caucasian male with long hair it's such a turn off.

groink

Post by groink » Jun 5th, '07, 18:52

The anime and manga are definitely the root of the trend. Like I've mentioned in other topics, I believe the geinokai is behind a conspiracy of sorts where they're using anime/manga to attract the fans of that material towards live entertainment. JE figured this out a long time ago. The TV networks figured it out by the late 1990s. And everyone else just followed suit. In all forms of marketing, the number-one formula for marketing success is to attract consumers using tactics they feel comfortable with - marketing through association.

Is it a long-term trend? In Asia it is. In the West, I don't think so because consumers there aren't as hooked on feminine looking guys, as they're not as exposed to bishonen like the Japanese. As for South Korea, just give them a few more months.

Long hair is one thing. But for a male to stay in the bathroom for a long period of time grooming themselves - I'm sorry but IMHO that is a feminine trait. My personal appearance takes less than five minutes of preparation in the morning. It lasts all day, and I'm quite successful with it.

--- groink

Néa Vanille
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Néa Vanille » Jun 5th, '07, 19:13

Not claiming to be an expert on the topic, but I believe in Asia there has always been a more feminine ideal for men than we've enjoyed here in the West and the way a man's masculinity and beauty is measured is very different indeed. I've read many times that in Japan and Korea, there is the ancient ideal of the man who is more beautiful than a woman and indeed the Koreans have a word to describe these effeminate men - 꽃미남, meaning flower pretty boy. I also heard that, when one reads ancient Japanese literature, one will quite frequently stumble upon very feminine and extremely beautiful men, whereas there is no classic Western literature (that I know of) that stresses such an ideal. Thus I think it's not just a recent phenomenon, but something engrained in Eastern Asian culture that disappears and re-surfaces in regular intervals.

Speaking from my own experience, I must say that in the beginning I was quite puzzled when Japanese/Korean men would so honestly talk about another man's beauty, not even being ashamed of calling another man cute. In the West, many men are inclined to say, "I'm not gay but I guess XX would be quite attractive to women" or similar things and it is generally considered a taboo to openly talk about another man's attractiveness. Asian men, in my experience, are also much more likely to wear clothes that no Western man would ever touch unless held on gunpoint, including, but not limited to, pink shirts, extremely tight clothes and, yes, yellow shirts with cute monkeys on them. I saw quite a lot of such guys in Asia and in the beginning, it puzzled me. Now, I've learned to find it attractive and just accept it as part of who they are.

malay_tiger

Post by malay_tiger » Jun 5th, '07, 19:23

groink wrote:The anime and manga are definitely the root of the trend. Like I've mentioned in other topics, I believe the geinokai is behind a conspiracy of sorts where they're using anime/manga to attract the fans of that material towards live entertainment. JE figured this out a long time ago. The TV networks figured it out by the late 1990s. And everyone else just followed suit. In all forms of marketing, the number-one formula for marketing success is to attract consumers using tactics they feel comfortable with - marketing through association.

Is it a long-term trend? In Asia it is. In the West, I don't think so because consumers there aren't as hooked on feminine looking guys, as they're not as exposed to bishonen like the Japanese. As for South Korea, just give them a few more months.

Long hair is one thing. But for a male to stay in the bathroom for a long period of time grooming themselves - I'm sorry but IMHO that is a feminine trait. My personal appearance takes less than five minutes of preparation in the morning. It lasts all day, and I'm quite successful with it.

--- groink
at last, groink have spoken a lot (typing a lot :lol )

groink, I am totally agree with you :salut: :salut:

that's right, it is all about marketing strategy.. it's all about business, if the ratings go up for the drama, they will have more advertisement company pay the tv station.. it's all about the money.. JE was built to make money, profit for the company and their target, surely, it is the girls..

from what I know, Japanese are really successful in entertainment industry, there was a concert perform by Glay, held on the Japanese airport [the fact is : 200,000 tickets sold out in just 2 hours], the girls attend the concert really crying a lot when Glay sing "I'm in Love"..

usually, FEMALE are born to be beautiful, caring.. MALE are born to be a leader..

if male have a very long hair, and take a very long time to do the make up.. :whistling: :whistling:

but in my honest opinion MANGA/ANIME character really look beautiful.. but the most important is the attitude, one of the reason I really like to watch Jdorama is that they really have good messages to the human, it was not just entertainment :lol :salut:

Genmai_cha

Post by Genmai_cha » Jun 5th, '07, 19:28

Long hair is awesome! I think it was Final Fantasy that pulled the trigger. =D

Why long hair you must ask? I would think simply because not every man can pull it off w/ long hair. They ALL can pull it off w/ short hair but long hair isn't for everyone. Asian men have more 'style' when it comes to long vs. western men w/ long hair that mainly associated (but not limited to) w/ punks and surfer.

I have this trend going on... from short to long to short and back to long hair. Eventually I will go back to short hair but in the time being I enjoy the long hair. It actually takes just about the same amount of time to fix my long hair w/ my short hair.

malay_tiger

Post by malay_tiger » Jun 5th, '07, 19:53

Genmai_cha, it is true by research, most Asian people hair is straight black, so it is more easier to make as many hair style as you want.. :lol

but in Hollywood, they can make it too (using technology).. look at Nicole Kidman, Elizabeth Hurley, Catherine Zeta Jones.. (woman, men usually wear fake hair.. :mrgreen: ) their hair when they are child are unbeliaveble :lol

[quote="Genmai_cha"]Long hair is awesome! I think it was Final Fantasy that pulled the trigger. =D
quote]

some off topic : if they want to make Final Fantasy live-action movie, I think it will be Hideaki Takizawa (Japanese) as the hero and Faye Wong (Chinese) as the heroine.. :lol

malay_tiger

Post by malay_tiger » Jun 5th, '07, 19:54

Genmai_cha, it is true by research, most Asian people hair is straight black, so it is more easier to make as many hair style as you want.. :lol

but in Hollywood, they can make it too (using technology).. look at Nicole Kidman, Elizabeth Hurley, Catherine Zeta Jones.. (woman, men usually wear fake hair.. :mrgreen: ) their hair when they are child are unbelieveable :lol

[quote="Genmai_cha"]Long hair is awesome! I think it was Final Fantasy that pulled the trigger. =D
quote]

some off topic : if they want to make Final Fantasy live-action movie, I think it will be Hideaki Takizawa (Japanese) as the hero and Faye Wong (Chinese) as the heroine.. :lol

Bibliofil

Post by Bibliofil » Jun 5th, '07, 20:08

I have been in love with a man whose hair was waist-long (longer then mine) and it did not threaten my femininity. For me it was a sad day when he cut his hair...

So some general comments...pretty boys are truly not that common in western culture, although the anicent greeks mention some butiful ones. In the classical literature we also have Samson, a long-haired guy. (he was super strong due to his long hair). In "A thousend and one nights" (persian/arabic)there is a story about a truly beautiful man and woman living in different countries. The djinns bring them together to compare them but cannot decide who is the prettier. So the djinns wake up first one and then the other. The man thinks the woman beautiful but does not do anything. The woman when awake showers the man with kisses, so it is decided that the man was the better looking of the two....

I dont think that the long hair is from manga...I think it is older then that. In wester culture I think it is "rebellous and dangerous" , in asian "noble" (look at Samurai, to be able to do that topknot you need to have some hair...) I guess long hair took longer to groom only the rich who dont need to work physically can have it...

Anyway, after all this rambling, I guess my opinion is that it does not matter if a guy has long or short hair, thats not where his masculinity is located. But I agree that anyone (man or woman) who hogs the bathroom for eons of time in the morning is an annoying person!!!

ervingeoffrey

Post by ervingeoffrey » Jun 5th, '07, 21:36

geminihc, the best combination is :

- Man with short hair and Woman with short hair too.

Why? already for hygiene it is much more practical and two if you are really handsome, short hair or long hair , the result is the same. Why tire itself with all its disadvantage.

The problem it is that very little of people are in this case (or they do not see it…), so with long hair , we emphasize our beauty, but it is not true , it is the same thing with the make-up.

It is the life, it is done like that, so for your question, why they have long hair? Because with short one, they are not handsome .... :-)

Rasckita

Post by Rasckita » Jun 6th, '07, 00:43

groink wrote:I'm with the creator of this topic... I am totally anti-metrosexual.

--- groink
i'm anti-metrossexual too!

but men having long hair doesnt mean they're metrosexual...

in fact men with long hair look more relaxed, natural and rebel. I prefer men with long hair, i'm not a big fan of men with short hair.

I think the question is:
why asian popular male artists have to make their eyebrows and use make-up?! :blink that's what makes them look feminine sometimes and not the long hair! ;)

Plus i think they look much better with no make-up....

ethidda
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by ethidda » Jun 6th, '07, 00:54

Wait, are you talking about long hair or loooooooong hair? Because I think if guys have nice, soft hair, they should grow it out a bit (like 3-4 inches or so) so that the girl can run her fingers through his hair. But if it's looooooooooong hair, then I don't think it's attractive. The only exception being if it's a period drama, because nobody cuts their hair in Chinese period drama (since it was cutting off a God-give gift and all that).

On the other hand, I don't think that short hair is and more hygienic than long hair, and it certainly doesn't take longer to take care of. I have hair that goes down to my butt and it takes me 15 min. to shower and 10 min. to get ready in the morning, including getting dressed and brushing my teeth. It's true that I don't do make up, but I'm not a sloppy dresser either. Most days, I wear heels.

Anyways... I think that long hair is okay. At least, it's infinitely better compared to big beards. I would consider dating a guy with long hair. I would NEVER, EVER date somebody with a big beard.

AfricanBean

Post by AfricanBean » Jun 6th, '07, 04:24

I'm actually tired of seeing the same standard short hairstyles. I don't mind long hair on anyone as long as it's clean, and smells nice. On the other hand, bald men with thick beards are ftw. :wub:

fiery

Post by fiery » Jun 16th, '07, 03:17

There's nothing wrong with the ruffled, bit long-ish hair look on guys. But when it's a tad too long it's just.. weird. I prefer my men with short hair too. The clean cut look is so much more appealing to me.

:)

battlegirlai

Post by battlegirlai » Jun 20th, '07, 22:50

i have to agree with africanbean about long hair being fine as long as its clean. as long as its clean and looks like they actually take care of it and it flatters their face...what does it matter?

i am not saying all guys should have it. but if women can have short or long hair depending on what flatters them, men can do the same.

as long as its clean! nothin worse than a guy with dirty hair...short or long

Nonbirira

Post by Nonbirira » Jun 20th, '07, 23:25

Long hair - short hair - both are fine. Just so long as its clean and it doesn't look like the guy has fussed over it. (A guy with helmet hair - EEWWW!) But, having said that, my husband looks best in SHORT hair. He's Japanese (I'm Canadian) and his hair is just too wirey. He starts looking like a lion - or a mad scientist - when it gets close to his collar. Short, on him, is much sexier! :wub:

Angel551

Post by Angel551 » Jun 25th, '07, 18:29

Nah , i like men with both long & short hair .... Guess some men look coool with short hair & some with long hair ... its depend in what looks good on you ^^

SiMPLYSMiLES

Post by SiMPLYSMiLES » Jun 25th, '07, 18:46

Hmm...what would be considered as long hair? As in shoulder length? If so, then I definitely don't like that. I think a lot of guys look better with short hair. But I guess some could pull off the long hair look...but I would prefer short hair. It gives off a more manly look. Haha.

groink

Post by groink » Jun 8th, '09, 04:11

Couldn't find a more appropriate topic to place the following in...

http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/asiapcf/0 ... index.html

Interesting report about "herbivore men" (we were calling them "metrosexual" here) in Japan. This is the first major source I've seen that pretty much confirms a lot of what I've been saying in various topics, regarding Generation Y's loss of masculinity traits among Japanese males. Gawd I hope this trend doesn't last long... I want to see more meat-eating men in that country (and maybe the women there will start wanting to actually procreate with them.)

--- groink

SunmiWonder

Post by SunmiWonder » Jun 8th, '09, 04:34

It's usually more-so the faces that the long-haired actors have than the hair themselves...

«minah»

Post by «minah» » Jun 8th, '09, 06:05

I don't think a guy who wants to take care of his hair and grow it makes him feminine, just like a girl who keeps it short and doesn't do much with her hair makes her masculine. Maybe in the West, it's just thought as of guy with long shiny nice hair = feminine and maybe more in Asia, it's just the opposite. Society makes us believe it's very girly for a guy to have long hair and most people choose to keep believing that... and it's not fair! (I'm really against gender issue, and what's "guyish" and what's "girlish" because in the end, it's put in our brains on how genders are suppose to act, look, date and wear and blah blah, and in the end it's all what make us happy and doing what we like, not because it's our gender or crap >_<) And long hair looks nice... makes me jealous. Sorry for any typos I have... I'm using a Windows, IE unfortunately, and I'm on someone elses compter. (and it's not the fastest) but I think I spell a few words wrongs.. sorry

Néa Vanille
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Néa Vanille » Jun 9th, '09, 04:52

groink wrote:Couldn't find a more appropriate topic to place the following in...

http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/asiapcf/0 ... index.html

Interesting report about "herbivore men" (we were calling them "metrosexual" here) in Japan. This is the first major source I've seen that pretty much confirms a lot of what I've been saying in various topics, regarding Generation Y's loss of masculinity traits among Japanese males. Gawd I hope this trend doesn't last long... I want to see more meat-eating men in that country (and maybe the women there will start wanting to actually procreate with them.)

--- groink
That's exactly the type of men I'm attracted to. *shrugs*

_Nina_

Post by _Nina_ » Jun 9th, '09, 05:34

what i find with long hair asian men or boy is that it covers up their face alot. I think they like it not only because of the cool style of the hair, but it also covers up if i can say the "defects" of their face.

In reality, if you cut most of the long hair boys' hair off and look at their face closely, i think they will not be as good looking as you thought them to be.

143dOrKy

Post by 143dOrKy » Jun 11th, '09, 05:59

at first i found it bothersome they look like woman i think kame from kat-tun was the first one i saw....but now i dont even notice their hair because i am look at their face XD

infundibuliform

Post by infundibuliform » Jun 21st, '09, 22:32

I like short hair on guys too. It's more manly and brings out the manliness in their face. haha As for Asian guys, it's true that they look feminine. It'll be disturbing if a real feminine guy had long hair and ended up look like a girl. haha But for the feminine guys, they can kind of get away with long hair, not to say that's great or anything, but for the more masculine guys (take Toma in my avatar), longer hair accentuates their features in the wrong way and makes them look old. They look so manly that it's like they're trying to be younger, even though people their age have hair like that. So short hair just suits them.

That paragraph was probably disjointed and made no sense, so, in summary, SHORT HAIR FTW.

Ender's Girl

Post by Ender's Girl » Jun 23rd, '09, 08:05

Don't audiences in *some* countries just dig the girly-man look? :lol Like, as a cultural thing? (I didn't grow up with bishonen Idols as a benchmark for attractiveness. Where I'm from it's the more macho-looking, the better. But that doesn't always work out, heh.)

For me it's really a hit-and-miss thing. Not all actors can pull off the long-haired look. (It's kind of the like the black-and-white photo test: not everyone looks good in a b/w photograph.)

Something I realized after 6 years of K-dramas and, er, 2.5 months of J-dramas: I think I like looking at pretty boys, lolllll. Long hair, short hair, any which way. :P

«minah»

Post by «minah» » Jun 23rd, '09, 15:27

Ender's Girl wrote:Don't audiences in *some* countries just dig the girly-man look? :lol Like, as a cultural thing? (I didn't grow up with bishonen Idols as a benchmark for attractiveness. Where I'm from it's the more macho-looking, the better. But that doesn't always work out, heh.)

For me it's really a hit-and-miss thing. Not all actors can pull off the long-haired look. (It's kind of the like the black-and-white photo test: not everyone looks good in a b/w photograph.)

Something I realized after 6 years of K-dramas and, er, 2.5 months of J-dramas: I think I like looking at pretty boys, lolllll. Long hair, short hair, any which way. :P
Yeah.. I kinda agree with you. Like, not every guy can do the curly perm thing. Because on some people, it just looks bad... and ew >_<

hydeaway

Post by hydeaway » Jun 27th, '09, 08:18

hm.
as long as it fit to his image, appearance...
i dont mind.
but,,,, sometimes.......

x_XJules
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by x_XJules » Jun 27th, '09, 10:48

I believe men and women are equal human beings and that men should not be sanctioned for doing something feminine. Being feminine is not something bad. It seems silly that women are less sanctioned for acting masculine. Why do we value masculinity over femininity?

Anyways, long hair or not. It is our own decision on how we wish to present ourselves. It is just a trend. Sit it out, I'm sure it will pass. In the meantime, we should respect others.

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Jun 27th, '09, 21:32

Hey Ender's Girl..So this is where you are hiding out. :lol

Well I like long hair and I like short hair. Depends who is who. Some guys look good both ways. Some have very long hair because they are actors and it is easier to get into some roles if they have long hairl. Easy to cut it but harder to grow it fast, hou know?

I read somewhere that Kimura was one of the first to grow really long hair and it caught on with other entertainers some fifteen years ago or maybe more. He looks good long or short and very enticing with long hair pulled back into samurai or pontail.

E.G.
Come back and help me..we are in trouble with someone re jdrama and you know who taking too much posting space. I have told mod but I am alone :-(

Peg

Ender's Girl

Post by Ender's Girl » Jun 28th, '09, 10:43

«minah» wrote: Yeah.. I kinda agree with you. Like, not every guy can do the curly perm thing. Because on some people, it just looks bad... and ew >_<
:rofl: Yeah, I KNOW, right??!?!!11!1!?!?!1 Urggghh. :crazy: Not everyone can pull off the Jesus hair, no sirreee. A lot of actors have experimented with a perm only to end up looking like some furry woodland creature just crawled atop their head and died there. :twisted: Not pretty at all.

x_XJules wrote: I believe men and women are equal human beings and that men should not be sanctioned for doing something feminine. Being feminine is not something bad. It seems silly that women are less sanctioned for acting masculine. Why do we value masculinity over femininity?
Well, I think that for MOST of history, it was the other way around. Up to the 19th century, women were censured for wearing their hair short, or for wearing pants, etc. Women only started to adopt mannish hairstyles and clothing in the 1920s or thereabouts. Society and history in general have not been very kind to women who wanted to buck social convention. Just saying, is all. :wink:

Peggy!!! :cheers: I've actually seen a couple of threads here where you're a regular customer, heehee. Whereas I'm a regular lurker, heh. :fear:
Peggy wrote: I read somewhere that Kimura was one of the first to grow really long hair and it caught on with other entertainers some fifteen years ago or maybe more. He looks good long or short and very enticing with long hair pulled back into samurai or ponytail.

The best I've seen Kimura in long hair (SO FAR) was... in... Nemureru Mori. w00000ttttt!!!!!! :w00t: (Love Generation doesn't count since some *crazy* girl lopped off his mane in Episode 1, lol.) I dunno, but his long, flowing locks in Mr. Brain don't do anything for me. :whistling: This weekend I got to watch that Fuji TV 50th anniversary show--and bloody hell, was his stylist backstage TRIPPING on something? :cussing: Or did Kimura borrow good ol' Yonsama's personal beautician especially for this show??? (Oh, wait, I forgot that Yonsama always does his OWN hair, lest those mortal fools just mess it all up, lol.) Eeeeeccccckkkk. Sorry, Peg, but that Fuji TV anniversary coiffure was rather ghastly, even for J-Ent standards. :thumbdown:

I have yet to see him in his samurai 'do in Love and Honor. Here's hoping I'll like it!!! I think that when LEFT ALONE, far, far away from those gallons of hairspray, weird apricot dye jobs, Curling Irons of Doom, and the prying hands of overzealous stylists, Kimura's hair can actually look DECENT, long OR short. :scratchchin: My personal favorite would still be his clean-cut 'do in Good Luck! because he looked so... neat-o, and his hair wasn't THAT fried, lol. Just IMHO.

:offtopic: Peggy:
Erm, I was offline for a couple of days and I got to read the posts in question just today. Well, I think TC has pretty much settled the issue, doncha think? You've been nothing but diplomatic in your replies, but I'm afraid that if I add anything else after what TC has written, it might sound like I'm gloating or something. Frankly, I think M.'s already quite sick of my posts, hehe. :sweat:

x_XJules
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by x_XJules » Jun 28th, '09, 12:51

Ender's Girl wrote:Well, I think that for MOST of history, it was the other way around. Up to the 19th century, women were censured for wearing their hair short, or for wearing pants, etc. Women only started to adopt mannish hairstyles and clothing in the 1920s or thereabouts. Society and history in general have not been very kind to women who wanted to buck social convention. Just saying, is all. :wink:
No, that is very true. But we still valued masculinity over femininity. Females were not allowed to act masculine because they were viewed as lower than males. *Sigh* Have you heard of those horrible helmets/leashes they made women wear if they spoke back to their husbands *shudders* It's weird how in just our one century it made such a huge turn around. A masculine female is called a tomboy. A feminine male is called... well... derogatory terms. It'd be nice if we could just allow people to be the way they want.

Ender's Girl

Post by Ender's Girl » Jun 29th, '09, 02:50

^ Yeah, I see your point. :-) Misogyny is an age-old social ill, indeed. But isn't it interesting to note that society is learning to be more accepting of gay men in general than of gay women? There are more gay man who have come out of the closet than there are gay women. And more gay men have gone on to achieve in their respective fields (e.g. arts, music, literature, fashion, drama, film, etc.) and so contribute to the betterment of society. They have done this without hiding the fact that they are gay. Whereas gay women have struggled more with disclosing their sexual orientation.

In a bizarre twist, this could be an indication of how MALE PRIVILEGE dominates even in the area of deviation. The fact that we can be more accepting of gay men reflects the way society allows men to get away even with what would be considered as social aberrations--precisely because they are male--as they are allowed to get away with most other things (i.e. institutionalized sexism, subjugation and objectification of women, rape and adultery, political and economic entitlements). :cussing:

All that being said... MAN OH MAN, I'm just glaaaad I was born in a 20th-century democratic society, where I won't be needing to stuff my face in a helmet or wear a leash every time I nag my hypothetical theoretical futuristic husband-to-be to, uh... take out the trash... or feed the dog... or cook dinner... or do the dishes... or do the laundry... or paint my toenails. (C'mawwwn... what are husbands for, right? :twisted:)

groink

Post by groink » Jun 29th, '09, 03:20

Ender's Girl wrote: Whereas gay women have struggled more with disclosing their sexual orientation.
There's truth to this, but there's also a reason for it. Gay women in general use their gay-ism as a propaganda tool, rather than simply expressing their sexual preference. When a guy comes out of the closet, he is practically forced to do so by the likes of Perez and the media rag in general. But when a women comes out, it is a total frenzy!

The only conclusion I can come up with is that the ones who are the most vocal are the aggressive gays. Any functional relationship has one aggressive person, and a recessive person. If you have two aggressive people together, you're asking for WW3. Put two regressive people together - between the two, they can't decide on anything!!! This is why the aggressive person is the person in the relationship that takes charge, and guides the relationship. Perez Hilton is the aggressive. Rosie O'Donnell is the aggressive. Even when I work the women professional golf tournaments - many of the female golfers who are gay tend to be the aggressive in the relationship (in this case, the one who is making the money.)

Which is why my foundation behind metro sexuality is that it will amount to nothing but doom in a relationship! You need a masculine body against a feminine body to keep the relationship together. The further this metro thing infests Eastern Asia, the worse it'll be for relationships in these countries. Maybe this is why Japan is declining in population - there's just too many of these metro guys who aren't interested in banging women. C'mon, Japanese metro guys! Your country is asking you to procreate!!!!!!

--- groink

x_XJules
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by x_XJules » Jun 29th, '09, 10:07

Ender's Girl wrote:^ Yeah, I see your point. :-) Misogyny is an age-old social ill, indeed. But isn't it interesting to note that society is learning to be more accepting of gay men in general than of gay women? There are more gay man who have come out of the closet than there are gay women. And more gay men have gone on to achieve in their respective fields (e.g. arts, music, literature, fashion, drama, film, etc.) and so contribute to the betterment of society. They have done this without hiding the fact that they are gay. Whereas gay women have struggled more with disclosing their sexual orientation.

In a bizarre twist, this could be an indication of how MALE PRIVILEGE dominates even in the area of deviation. The fact that we can be more accepting of gay men reflects the way society allows men to get away even with what would be considered as social aberrations--precisely because they are male--as they are allowed to get away with most other things (i.e. institutionalized sexism, subjugation and objectification of women, rape and adultery, political and economic entitlements). :cussing:

All that being said... MAN OH MAN, I'm just glaaaad I was born in a 20th-century democratic society, where I won't be needing to stuff my face in a helmet or wear a leash every time I nag my hypothetical theoretical futuristic husband-to-be to, uh... take out the trash... or feed the dog... or cook dinner... or do the dishes... or do the laundry... or paint my toenails. (C'mawwwn... what are husbands for, right? :twisted:)
OMG, I know! LoL, it's just like how in female dominated careers (librarians, nurses, elementary school teachers, etc) males are preferred choices of hire. Of course there is the whole glass escalator effect in which the males are usually promoted or pushed into management positions. :/
I'm not sure if you watched the jdorama Last Friends. (i didn't really like it but...) At first it seems like the main character is lesbian. I was really rooting/proud for Japan. I was like, "Yes!! Finally a main character lesbian." But of course she ended up having gender-image issues.. blah blah blah.
It's really frustrating how male dominance is still prominent. You see it in newspaper headlines, two male students killing other students headlines: "Students killing students". A female student killing students: "Female student kills classmates." We feel a need to always include gender when talking about females. Males are considered the norm and seen has not having gender. Just like how white people typically don't see themselves as having a race.
But yes, just as you say, I feel lucky to be growing up during this time period. :D Annnddd~ Gender roles are currently in a shift so this could be exciting. With all the layoffs happening in America, mostly males are getting hit (because they are the over-paid ones) and females are becoming providers.

Ender's Girl

Post by Ender's Girl » Jul 1st, '09, 03:58

@ groink: I do wonder how many studies are out there that conclusively link metrosexuality and sexual orientation. If a man grows his hair long or pays a little more attention to fashion and grooming than the average joe does, will that necessarily make him gay? :scratchchin:

Here's an interesting excerpt from the article "Personal Appearance and its Implications of Sexuality" by Matt Miles (http://www.jmu.edu):
The term “metrosexual” was coined in 1994 by English journalist Mark Simpson and is defined as, “a dandyish narcissist in love with not only himself, but his urban lifestyle; a straight man who is in touch with his feminine side,” or as another article put it, “a straight man who styles his hair using three different products” (“Today’s Metrosexual” 45; Simspon). Since then, this term has been judged the “most overused word” by Lake Superior State University’s annual “List of Words Banished from Queen’s English” (Penttila). Despite the fact most definitions of the term “metrosexual” deal primarily with aspects of appearance, the term has undoubtedly become linked with sexuality...
I really don't know if metrosexuality engenders gayness. I'm sure there's got to be a bishonen (or two) out there most definitely interested in "banging women," lol. XD

@ x_XJules: Interesting observation there. Not that I'd want the world to start feeling like a scene from that godawful Nicolas Cage movie The Wicker Man though, lol. I'm no hardcore feminist or anything, though I believe in redressing gender inequity in our society. But I say we keep those XY chromosomes around. Someone's got to chop all that firewood, after all. Just saying. :whistling:

Re Last Friends, I haven't watched the drama, but I have it on queue. So what it is this, The L Word for the teen-Idol crowd? A lesbian renzoku, lite? :roll Hmmm... could be worth a try, still. Frankly, the only truly satisfying film I've seen tackling lesbianism was Kevin Smith's Chasing Amy (1997) starring Ben Affleck and Joey Lauren Adams. It was funny and honest and bittersweet. I daresay they don't make stuff like that these days. :thumbdown:

x_XJules
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by x_XJules » Jul 1st, '09, 20:12

@Ender's Girl: Haha, no I agree. Sometimes I get all fired up when gender roles come into conversation. I'm a sociology major and I hardly get moments to indulge in such topics outside school. LoL, but it's been super enjoyable :D Thanks for conversing~!

groink

Post by groink » Jul 2nd, '09, 01:07

Ender's Girl wrote:@ groink: I do wonder how many studies are out there that conclusively link metrosexuality and sexual orientation. If a man grows his hair long or pays a little more attention to fashion and grooming than the average joe does, will that necessarily make him gay? :scratchchin:
Off the bat, as a linear thinker, I think metrosexuality does contribute to the man having less of an urge to give women the masculinity that a relationship really needs. The man may be completely heterosexual and all, but you also need to look at the female's perspective about that man. Even if he is waiting at home with a woody, the female may be turned off because he doesn't present the masculine qualities even sexual intercourse would benefit from. In the end, looking cute, adorable, kakkoi and all does not produce babies.

Take a look at the various topics in the Life & Relationships forum. There's one topic where both males and females swear up and down that they can have true non-sexual friendships with each other. And, some of the posters talk about fighting the urge in order to preserve the friendship. I find this appalling! They think that the friendship is far more important than natural things that every one of us have in ourselves. These same people are, IMHO, the ones who like the long hair and the idea that the guy uses lip gloss and 30 different chemicals in his hair.

In all, I truly believe that a lot of these topics on D-Addicts fall into the same pattern:

- No interest in sex.
- Vast interest in fashion and pop culture.
- Masculinity is threatening to females, and are finding ways to re-gain control of their relationships.

To end this, mankind has lived for millions of years, and masculinity has always been the norm among males. We've had pockets of metrosexuality here and there, but fortunately masculinity has stayed the path and will forever dictate sexuality and the models and roles that nature intended.

--- groink

x_XJules
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by x_XJules » Jul 2nd, '09, 11:14

groink wrote:To end this, mankind has lived for millions of years, and masculinity has always been the norm among males. We've had pockets of metrosexuality here and there, but fortunately masculinity has stayed the path and will forever dictate sexuality and the models and roles that nature intended.

--- groink
Just to clarify a thing or two...
Masculinity is culture; not biological. So saying that it is a role intended by nature isn't 100% correct. It is a role created by society.

groink

Post by groink » Jul 2nd, '09, 11:31

x_XJules wrote:Just to clarify a thing or two...
Masculinity is culture; not biological. So saying that it is a role intended by nature isn't 100% correct. It is a role created by society.
No, I have to disagree. I strongly believe masculinity is a natural trait of a male. I'm not speaking of masculinity in terms of six-pack abs, drinking cases of beer and farting, or even short hair. What's natural about masculinity is that the male is always the authoritative of the two sexes in any grouping of humans. And, when you study any culture - whether it is the tribesmen who jump off 100-foot towers worshiping yams, or the gladiators from hundreds of years ago that are even celebrated today in professional wrestling. Metrosexuality puts off a passive trait that, again in my belief, goes against everything natural in a male, and causes further confusion in sexuality. I think metrosexuality is caused by society - more specifically his immediate family, like it was explained in the CNN article I linked to earlier.

--- groink

x_XJules
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by x_XJules » Jul 2nd, '09, 12:12

Haha, well I see you have an incorrigible disposition. You are free to believe whatever you want. I merely suggest studying some basic sociology.

groink

Post by groink » Jul 2nd, '09, 12:21

x_XJules wrote:Haha, well I see you have an incorrigible disposition. You are free to believe whatever you want. I merely suggest studying some basic sociology.
As a person holding a master's degree and two bachelor degrees, along with four college semesters of anthropology taught by a Harvard-graduated professor (sociology is mostly voodoo science,) you for certain shouldn't be telling people what to study just to satisfy your view of the world.

Karate-ka

Post by Karate-ka » Jul 2nd, '09, 13:30

Well i dont mind it, ive heard a lot of guys dont like girls with short hair but still too me its fine.
Im fine with it, i personaly prefer short hair since as a man myself.
It becomes less sweaty and itchy on my head.

Rozenrot

Post by Rozenrot » Jul 2nd, '09, 23:53

I don't mind either really, but I think long hair can look really good on some men :P
I'm drawn to the eyes first and foremost anyways.