Recommend J-Dramas (Ask for suggestions here)

Discuss Japanese drama series here.
iluvasiandrama

Post by iluvasiandrama » Jun 5th, '09, 20:13

Ditto what cantaboy said.. I like to watch the warm fuzzy funny WFF drama's. I dont like sad or reality show. Those are not for me. I loved BBF and Nodame and Kimi wa petto those are the types.

I will try to look up those dramas mwulf recommended on you tube.

darkliquids2

Post by darkliquids2 » Jun 5th, '09, 22:40

cantaboy, Ayase Haruka is in Shikaotoko Aoniyoshi, one of my favorite dramas ever.

cantaboy

Post by cantaboy » Jun 6th, '09, 02:55

@Mwulf: lol on Trick. I just watched the first ep last night (about a couple of hours after the post) and I must say, Abe Hiroshi rocks. I've watched Kekkon Dekinai and Attention Please! already, so, sorry for not listing them down, but they were great :). I'll check Seigi no Mikata out. From what I've heard, they said that it's really hilarious. Thanks.

@darkliquids2: just checked the info on that. I didn't bother with it at first because of the deer pic, but the story's weird. I'll check it too. :) thanks.

Mwulf

Post by Mwulf » Jun 6th, '09, 12:49

If you like Abe Hiroshi, you should also check out Egao no Hosoku and Hero. He's got a supporting role in Hero, but it's still a great show.

Edit: D'OH! And Shiroi Haru. It's airing right now and it's really, really, really good. It's a more serious drama, but it's still got some funny moments (like the one I snagged my avatar from).

cantaboy

Post by cantaboy » Jun 6th, '09, 17:07

I've been meaning to watch HERO for a long time now, but I don't know where to download. Anyone know the subbing group that picked this drama up? I'll go check their site. I checked Shiroi Haru. I think I'll watch it with my sister. Oh yeah, I can't see your avatar. :(

Mwulf

Post by Mwulf » Jun 6th, '09, 17:21

cantaboy wrote:I've been meaning to watch HERO for a long time now, but I don't know where to download.
Uh... here. :O

cantaboy

Post by cantaboy » Jun 7th, '09, 03:07

Found the .srt files. :) Now to watch some Trick.

iluvasiandrama

Post by iluvasiandrama » Jun 7th, '09, 18:46

I have managed to watch the 1st episode of Mirai Koshi Meguru. Its more of a teacher/student classroom drama. I was hoping for something romance/comedy or just funny. Not quite what I expected. Actually the 2nd episode was a complete bore. The teacher and her grandfather have the ability to see the students futures and I guess hoping that their outcome will all change for the better is what this drama is about. One thing though.... I could not grasp the concept of the main character being an English teacher who doesn't pronounce English words with an English accent?? Ratings for this drama weren't too hot either (Drama Wiki).

Now its on to Hotaru no hikari... I hope this one is better! Any more suggestions please?

Mwulf

Post by Mwulf » Jun 7th, '09, 18:51

iluvasiandrama wrote:I have managed to watch the 1st episode of Mirai Koshi Meguru. Its more of a teacher/student classroom drama. I was hoping for something romance/comedy or just funny. Not quite what I expected. Actually the 2nd episode was a complete bore. The teacher and her grandfather have the ability to see the students futures and I guess hoping that their outcome will all change for the better is what this drama is about. One thing though.... I could not grasp the concept of the main character being an English teacher who doesn't pronounce English words with an English accent?? Ratings for this drama weren't too hot either (Drama Wiki).

Now its on to Hotaru no hikari... I hope this one is better! Any more suggestions please?
Mop Girl.

Same concept as Mirai Koshi Meguru--but good.

iluvasiandrama

Post by iluvasiandrama » Jun 8th, '09, 01:08

Ok thanks. I am dowloading Mop Girl now. 1st episode of Hotaru No Hikari was good! I am going to enjoy watching it while finishing the download of Mop Girl. Thanks everyone for suggestions and please keep them coming!

cantaboy

Post by cantaboy » Jun 8th, '09, 04:55

Hotaru no Hikari is really really good! One of my favorites. I think you'll love it.

iluvasiandrama

Post by iluvasiandrama » Jun 8th, '09, 21:38

Yes... it is so good I can't wait for the torrents to download, so I am watching the streaming videos at livevideo.com. Mop girl was too irritating to watch so I ditched it for Hotaru no Hikari and glad I did!

I must say that one thing I noticed in Japanese drama's is that there is always a girl so desperate for one guy that she will challenge the girl he really likes for his affection and there is always another guy who likes the main character guy in a homosexual way.

They tend to involve men who are strongly attracted to men in their drama's. I have not seen this type of pattern in Korean or Chinese drama's or films. I wonder why there is so much emphasis on male homosexuality in Japanese drama's? Even some of the guys get very close to the other men lips and face...hmmm...I wonder why

Mwulf

Post by Mwulf » Jun 8th, '09, 22:36

I, uh... haven't noticed that. At all. What exactly are you watching? If that's the impression you're getting, I feel like it must be a fairly narrow selection.

x_XJules
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by x_XJules » Jun 9th, '09, 00:47

How are you guys liking the shows this season? What are you watching? Anything you might suggest?

I've been watching mr. brain and konkatsu. Konkatsu is super cheesy but it's actually starting to grow on me, LoL. And Mr. Brain I don't have a real opinion on yet.

iluvasiandrama

Post by iluvasiandrama » Jun 9th, '09, 02:42

@mwulf - I have noticed it in these drama's Nodame Cantabile, Akai Ito, Hana Kimi and now in Hotaru no Hikari.

cantaboy

Post by cantaboy » Jun 9th, '09, 05:59

I remember it being in Nodame and Hana Kimi (for laughs, I think) but not in Hotaru no Hikari.

@x_XJules: I love Mr. Brain and really like Meitantei no Okite.

calimerina

Post by calimerina » Jun 9th, '09, 08:09

cantaboy wrote:I remember it being in Nodame and Hana Kimi (for laughs, I think) but not in Hotaru no Hikari.
When I watched the first 2 or 3 episodes of Hotaru no Hikari I thought that Naohito's best friend (the guy who asks him to go live with him) was actually in love with him. I didn't finish the dorama so I don't know if it was really so.

iluvasiandrama

Post by iluvasiandrama » Jun 9th, '09, 12:09

Yes its in the 1st 2nd 3rd 4th episodes of Hotaru no Hikari... My friend and I am trying to remember which other dramas we have seen it in as well...actually we both noticed that it seems to be more common in Jdrama than in Cdrama and Kdrama. Just wondering about that...its not a big deal...just something they seem to enjoy including in their dramas.

rahula

The new doramas you're liking

Post by rahula » Jun 9th, '09, 12:27

x_XJules wrote:How are you guys liking the shows this season? What are you watching? Anything you might suggest?

I've been watching mr. brain and konkatsu. Konkatsu is super cheesy but it's actually starting to grow on me, LoL. And Mr. Brain I don't have a real opinion on yet.
I've got the same question here...

Been trying to check out the new doramas but none have really appealed to me =|

So... do you guys recommend any of the new ones which could be really good despite what it might look at the first episodes or even at the synopsis?

Where's been Kimura Takuya (is that his name? I remember liking a lot of his doramas) or Fukatsu Eri?

charia-chan

Post by charia-chan » Jun 9th, '09, 12:48

Kimura Takuya is having Mr. Brain this season.^^

cantaboy

Post by cantaboy » Jun 9th, '09, 15:15

@calimerina: now I remember. I thought that too. lol.

@rahula: try Mr. Brain. I think it's awesome. And yeah, any nice dramas of Fukatsu Eri? She was nice in Slow Dance.

gareth

Post by gareth » Jun 9th, '09, 18:40

My favorite jdoramas are:

Joou no Kyoushitsu (brilliant!)
Kekkon Dekinai Otoko (hilarious ;)))
1 Liter of Tears (extremely sad... ;()
Karei Naru Ichizoku (magnificent!)
Dragon Zakura

So, because I like these doramas, and don't like: Hana Yori Dango, Nobuta wo Produce etc. I would like to get some recommendations. Especially for older jdoramas that doesn't appeal to teenagers ...

iluvasiandrama

Post by iluvasiandrama » Jun 10th, '09, 00:33

I just finished Hotaru no Hikari and it was good I must say! Funny and romantic. I am starting on Tokyo Wankei now.

ariz

Post by ariz » Jun 10th, '09, 13:05

i recommend bloody monday starring miura haruma and takeru sato.
maou starring ohno satoshi and ikuta toma.

they're good series.i haven't seen new series because they are restricted to the members of their community. some of the series (smile and majo saiban) i'm following are not available for download here in d-addicts.

cantaboy

Post by cantaboy » Jun 10th, '09, 13:28

so that's why it's still Smile Ep2 in here... I'm following that too.

@iluvasiandrama: is Tokyo Wankei good? Just curious.

ariz

Post by ariz » Jun 10th, '09, 13:40

@cantaboy: yes. stormy team pulled out of d-addicts that's why the english subbed series smile is not released here on d-addicts.

asainluvv101

Post by asainluvv101 » Jun 10th, '09, 22:18

hmmmm
my favs jdramas arreee.......:

-Hana Kimi
-Mei-chan no Shitsuji ( kawaiii.!! :wub: )
-Atashinchi no Danshi (recently watching)
-Gokusen [1,2,3]
-Nobuta wa Produce
-Nodame Cantibile (for music lovers :thumleft: )
-Absolute Boyfriend (which, i think, everyone saw already :D )
- Ghost Friends (sadly, theres only two eps thts subbed so plleeaasseee someone subb the rest :cry: )

cantaboy

Post by cantaboy » Jun 11th, '09, 14:26

@asainluv101: is Ghost Friends good? It's pretty famous, despite the low ratings. Oh yeah, I'll recommend this Hotaru no Hikari again. That's how much I love it.

@ariz: are you really from Manila? I'm in the Philippines too. Anyway, Maou looked scary the first few seconds.

ariz

Post by ariz » Jun 11th, '09, 14:40

@cantaboy: yes i'm from manila.taguig to be exact.kababayan huh?hehe.
maou looked scary and i got stirred up in some scenes but i really liked the flow of the story.

cantaboy

Post by cantaboy » Jun 12th, '09, 16:12

So... Byakuyakou. :)

Joossy

Post by Joossy » Jun 12th, '09, 17:14

I need your help! I'm doing a "introduction to j-dramas" panel for a anime convention. And it's kind of difficult to choose the BEST dramas ever! So If you can, can you tell me what is your top 5 drama ever?

Thank you!!

mokudekiru

Post by mokudekiru » Jun 12th, '09, 17:25

@gareth: Since you liked Kekkon Dekinai Otoko (one of my favorites!) and Dragon Zakura, I'd recommend a few:

- Tiger and Dragon (very hilarious and clever)
- Manhattan Love Story (all-time fave drama, again, very funny & clever)
- Room of King (very funny)
- Dekichatta Kekkon (I'm watching this now, it sounds like you might be a Abe Hiroshi fan based on the two dramas you mentioned, and he has a great role in this one too)
Hopefully those are entertaining and can get you away from the dumb high school drama genre (^_^)v

@Joossy right now my top 5 would probably be (in no particular order): Manhattan Love Story, Nodame Cantabile, Kekkon Dekinai Otoko, Stand Up!!, Tiger & Dragon.
However I'm not sure those are really a good set of "intro" dramas, necessarily. But those are all definitely must-watch :)

ariz

Post by ariz » Jun 12th, '09, 17:32

@cantaboy:is that series good?i'll look for a copy since it's a not too old series.

@Joossy:
1.bloody monday
2.maou
3.nobuta wo produce
4.liar game
5.gokusen 1
it's so hard to choose.

x_XJules
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by x_XJules » Jun 12th, '09, 23:32

@Joossy:
1.) My Boss My Hero
2.) Nobuta wo Produce
3.) Akihabara@DEEP
4.) Kekkon Dekinai Otoko
5.) Kisarazu Cat's Eye
and I know it's supposed to be 5 but also: IWGP (Ikebukuro West Gate Park)

LoL, also those are in no particular order.

cantaboy

Post by cantaboy » Jun 13th, '09, 04:45

@ariz: so far so good. i've just dl'd ep2. Ep1 was great. Man, those kids are gooood.

@Joossy:

-GTO
-Liar Game
-My Boss, My Hero
-Hotaru no Hikari
-Nodame Cantabile

It was really hard to choose. Other dramas not on this top five are equally good.

iluvasiandrama

Post by iluvasiandrama » Jun 13th, '09, 18:19

@cantaboy - sorry I was away...but yes Tokyo Wankei is good so far. I am on episode 5

@Joossy -
1. Nodame Cantabile
2. Akai Ito
3. Kimi wa Petto
4. Hotaru no Hikari
5. ????

gareth

Post by gareth » Jun 13th, '09, 22:37

@mokudekiru -- thanks for recommending me some new doramas. I'll definitely check out Manhattan Love Story and Room of King.

Tiger and Dragon wasn't my cup of tea. The reason for that probably is that I knew so little about japanese culture back then, and that drama has a certain culture dependent humour and story.

I'll definitely give it another shoot in the near future.
;))

You are right about me being an Abe Hiroshi fan. The best line (and after hearing it more than 20 times -- funniest line) of Abe Hiroshi is "Kaneda updated!" ;)))

x_XJules
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by x_XJules » Jun 14th, '09, 07:05

gareth wrote: "Kaneda updated!" ;)))
lolololololololol :lol :lol

Omg, for reals.

colyn7

Post by colyn7 » Jun 14th, '09, 07:24

@jossy,

my top 5,

1. Akai Ito
2. Nodame Cantabile
3. Koizora
4. Taiyou no Uta
5. Love Shuffle

am Tamaki Hiroshi's fan.. :D
i aLso Love Oguri Shun, Kamenashi Kazuya, Hiroki Narimiya, Mizushima Hiro, Haruma Miura... and... lots of them..

Am Maki Hirokita's fan aLso.. hehehe

ja!

iluvasiandrama

Post by iluvasiandrama » Jun 15th, '09, 04:52

I just finished watching Tokyo Wankei and it was terrific! As of right now, it is one of the most well done Asian romance drama I have ever seen. Mature believable romance. Although I have lots of favorite movies and dramas, this one has been the best one I have seen in recent times. I loved it from start to finish and never got bored with the storyline or actors. This was a well polished mature romance drama and it was excellent. I will definitely have to keep this movie to watch over and over again.

@Joossy - My complete UPDATED list
1. Tokyo Wankei
2. Nodame Cantabile
3. Akai Ito
4. Kimi wa Petto
5. Hotaru no Hikari

mokudekiru

Post by mokudekiru » Jun 15th, '09, 13:43

@gareth:
Tiger and Dragon wasn't my cup of tea. The reason for that probably is that I knew so little about japanese culture back then, and that drama has a certain culture dependent humour and story.
Ah yes, I think I see your point here. It does require a kind of appreciation for certain cultural things (though when I watched it, I was completely unfamiliar with the rakugo comedy style). I like your idea of coming back to it after a while -- particularly if you end up knowing and loving a lot of the actors in T&D like I did, it will end up being pretty fun I think.
You are right about me being an Abe Hiroshi fan. The best line (and after hearing it more than 20 times -- funniest line) of Abe Hiroshi is "Kaneda updated!" ;)))
Oh man, I hadn't thought about that line in a long time. But that was soooo good!! What a great show :D

ryoko11

Post by ryoko11 » Jun 17th, '09, 18:53

@Joossy -

Long Vacation
Nodame Cantabile
Ashita no Kita Yoshio
Kimi wa Petto
Tiger & Dragon

garnet07

Post by garnet07 » Jun 17th, '09, 20:06

@Joossy:

My Boss My Hero
Nodame Cantabile
Hana Yori Dango
Kekkon Dekinai Otoko
Liar Game

... It really is hard to choose, trying to give you one of every genre so if not the top 5 above, then here are more:

Gokusen
Byakuyakou
1 Litre of Tears
Proposal Daisakusen
Beautiful Life
Ame To Yume no Ato Ni
Satorare
.... so many more too many favorites

.Den

Post by .Den » Jun 18th, '09, 20:27

Can you, please, recommend some good comedy doramas besides...

My Boss, My Hero
Gokusen 1-1000000
GTO
Yasuko to Kenji
Kekkon Dekinai Otoko
Yama Onna, Kabe Onna
Bengoshi no Kuzu
Hotaru no Hikari
Trick
Densha Otoko
Hanazakari no Kimitachi he
Ikebukuro West Gate Park
Tiger & Dragon
Akihabara@DEEP
Kisarazu Cat's Eye
Papa to Musume no Nanokakan
Yamada Tarou Monogatari
Ryokitekina Kanojo
Nodame Cantabile
Dragon Zakura
Mop Girl
and some others which I can't remember now. ^^

I'm not into all those pretty boys (quite obvious since I'm male...) so I don't really care about doramas only about them. :)

My favourites were probably:
My Boss, My Hero
Kekkon Dekinai Otoko
Tiger & Dragon
Yasuko to Kenji (even though it's the same old GTO-esque formula all over again... Just the characters were kinda funny)
So something similar would be great. ^^

Thanks!
Last edited by .Den on Jun 19th, '09, 20:40, edited 1 time in total.

cantaboy

Post by cantaboy » Jun 19th, '09, 07:58

This isn't similar to what you've posted, but it's good anyway. Liar Game.

You could also try Meitantei no Okite. It's really funny, but it's still airing, so not all episodes are available yet. If you watch raw though, then watch it now. :)

.Den

Post by .Den » Jun 19th, '09, 19:15

I have already seen Liar Game. ^^ And I've noticed Meitantei no Okite in currently airing category, but hasn't found much info about it, so I'll try it, thanks.
Other recommendations are welcome. ;)

iluvasiandrama

Post by iluvasiandrama » Jun 19th, '09, 20:36

For some reason I just couldn't get into Stand up! or Proposal Daisakusen. I watched the first 2 episodes and just couldn't get into either of them. Although its a kdrama, I am enjoying right now A Love to Kill and will soon be watching Love Phobia when its finished downloading.

@.Den - have you already seen Nodame Cantabile?

.Den

Post by .Den » Jun 19th, '09, 20:39

Yep... Forgot to add that. ^^

TofuQueen

Post by TofuQueen » Jun 19th, '09, 22:07

iluvasiandrama wrote:For some reason I just couldn't get into Stand up! or Proposal Daisakusen. I watched the first 2 episodes and just couldn't get into either of them.
I haven't seen Proposal Daisakusen (it's on my list), but it probably took me at least 4-5 episodes to really get into Stand Up! At first it was just ok, but after a certain point I started really enjoying it and overall I think it's a really good show - just have to hang in there for a while, get to know the characters, etc. :thumleft:

iluvasiandrama

Post by iluvasiandrama » Jun 19th, '09, 23:48

TofuQueen wrote:
iluvasiandrama wrote:For some reason I just couldn't get into Stand up! or Proposal Daisakusen. I watched the first 2 episodes and just couldn't get into either of them.
I haven't seen Proposal Daisakusen (it's on my list), but it probably took me at least 4-5 episodes to really get into Stand Up! At first it was just ok, but after a certain point I started really enjoying it and overall I think it's a really good show - just have to hang in there for a while, get to know the characters, etc. :thumleft:
Stand Up! was a bit too juvenile I think....more for pre-teens. Proposal Daisakusen was just too boring but you know what? I think because I watched Nobuta wo Produce and Yamashita Tomohisa's acting in that one was kind of sour IMO ...now when I see him in any drama I can't get his acting in Nobuta out of my mind. IDK maybe its just in my own opinion.

@.Den - Kimi wa petto had some humorous moments. Stand Up!! seems to be comedy...although I didnt care for it you may find it ok. Actually the first episode of Stand Up!! had quite a few funny parts. I just couldn't get into the storyline.

cantaboy

Post by cantaboy » Jun 20th, '09, 05:34

@iluvasiandrama: Proposal Daisakusen started out slow for me too. Hang on to it, and maybe you'll find yourself watching a lot of it in a day (like I did). It's pretty annoying though (in a good way). You'll see what I mean when you watch it. Don't forget its SP!

daygolove

Post by daygolove » Jun 20th, '09, 09:06

Can anybody recommend some good drama/movie similar to Liar Game, Kurosagi, Galileo, Maou, Bloody Monday and death note? I like the psychological thriller/mystery/suspense story.

PS: It doesn't have to be japanese. it can be any other asian drama/movie
Thank you much!
:-)

ainhoa

Post by ainhoa » Jun 20th, '09, 20:51

kind of bizarre request to make in this fandom but...

can anyone recommend any jdramas that feature women protagonists who aren't overly passive/apologetic/on some ridiculous quest for a husband?

i'm starting to think that there aren't any, and i want someone to prove me wrong.

kuro570

Post by kuro570 » Jun 20th, '09, 20:59

ainhoa wrote:kind of bizarre request to make in this fandom but...

can anyone recommend any jdramas that feature women protagonists who aren't overly passive/apologetic/on some ridiculous quest for a husband?

i'm starting to think that there aren't any, and i want someone to prove me wrong.
Byakuyakou
Warui Yatsura
Kemonomichi
Kurokawa no techo

Most of these the women have someone they like but they're not passive/apologetic or on a quest for a husband. The only downside I would say is that all of these have dark themes to them (which I love btw) so some people may not like them.

cruets

Post by cruets » Jun 20th, '09, 21:42

is there such a thing as a sci-fi dorama? something on the scale of star trek or battle star galactica but japanese and live action, not anime?

ainhoa

Post by ainhoa » Jun 20th, '09, 21:55

kuro570 wrote:
ainhoa wrote:kind of bizarre request to make in this fandom but...

Byakuyakou
Warui Yatsura
Kemonomichi
Kurokawa no techo

Most of these the women have someone they like but they're not passive/apologetic or on a quest for a husband. The only downside I would say is that all of these have dark themes to them (which I love btw) so some people may not like them.
i love dark dramas. the only one i've seen that you mentioned was byakuyakou which i absolutely loved. i'll be sure to check out the others. thank you!

jewish_hotdog

Post by jewish_hotdog » Jun 24th, '09, 10:35

Hi all.

I am looking for a drama simular to the nature of Hana Kimi and Mei Chan no Shitsuji (Special school with absurd qualifications and a extremely jolly cast). Any possible recommendations?

The notion of both dramas was so blatantly absurd, it was extremely fun :)!!!!

zizzle_stick

Post by zizzle_stick » Jun 24th, '09, 11:14

jewish_hotdog wrote:
I am looking for a drama simular to the nature of Hana Kimi and Mei Chan no Shitsuji (Special school with absurd qualifications and a extremely jolly cast). Any possible recommendations?

my boss, my hero: i really enjoyed this one.
stand up! the background music is really good. hehe. and funny too.

Trygelan

Post by Trygelan » Jun 24th, '09, 15:55

Hey all. I have a two part request...
First, I'm trying to find more "serious" dramas.

It doesn't have to be devoid of comedy or such, just looking for something that portrays fairly serious topics.

Something along the lines of the following...

1 Litre of Tears
14 sai no haha
Last Friends
Beautiful Life
Jyoou no Kyoushitsu
Kamisama, Mou Sukoshi Dake

Now for the second part of my request.
I'm also looking for some lighter stuff to watch in between watching these heavier dramas.

I made the mistake of watching 1 Litre of Tears, 14 sai no haha, Jyoou no Kyoushitsu, and the Taiyou no Uta movie over the course of 4 or 5 days and that left me depressed for almost a week. So I'm looking for something a little more cheerful or such to watch in between any new series to help balance it out.

Some that I've watched...
Hana Yori Dango 1 and 2
Nodame Cantabile

I haven't really come across many comedies that have really caught my attention, so it's a pretty short list. Also, drama's for this part don't have to be comedy, I'm just looking for something to balance out the depression from the first set.

I'm not picky about when a drama has come out, as long as it has English subs for it somewhere. Also, even if you don't have a suggestion for the second half I'd still love to know about any serious dramas you'd recommend. If need be I can find my pick-me-up from things other than dramas to balance it out. :)

Thanks in advance.

MisS Lonliah

Post by MisS Lonliah » Jun 24th, '09, 20:00

@Trygelan: here are some cheerful dramas that I strongly recommend ^^
My Boss My Hero & Seigi no Mikata

hmm also Kurosagi could be a good drama since it's in between, not really serious and not really cheerful! (only the drama, forget about the movie!!)

hhnd

Post by hhnd » Jun 25th, '09, 08:09

@Trygelan: for the serious one, I recommend Byakuyakou. Though not the first one on my favorite list (it's the third one :mrgreen: ), in my opinion it was the most beautifully and skillfully done jdrama I've ever seen.
If you like the casting from Byakuyakou, then you should watch Sekai no chuushin de, ai wo sakebu. Not as impressive as Byakuyakou, but still touching and extremely well-done. Also available from SARS fansub
The synopsis can be found here.
Also LIFE is worth watching. It's about school bullying. Majo no jouken as well.
I also like Engine - a drama about a racer coming home to discover his dad has turned the house into an orphange. You probably can imagine what sort of things will happen then.

For the lighter one I recommend:
Hanazakari no kimitachi e
Nobuta wo Produce (now don't mistake me, NwP is funny, but it's definitely not your usual comedy type, it actually is really philosophical. It won best drama of the season over HYD and 1LOT after all).
Long Vacation - classic love story
Tatta hitotsu no koi - I'm not the type who likes romantic love story, but I thoroughly enjoyed this one. The storyline is sooooo cliche, yet it moved me in its own way because of several touching elements about family, friendship, and of course love.

Trygelan

Post by Trygelan » Jun 25th, '09, 20:35

Thanks for the suggestions, all of those have now been added to my "To watch" list. :)

Gonna start with Seigi no Mikata since it has Shida Mirai and I have been very impressed by her performance so far. Then I'll move on to Byakuyakou.

MisS Lonliah

Post by MisS Lonliah » Jun 26th, '09, 22:16

Trygelan wrote:Thanks for the suggestions, all of those have now been added to my "To watch" list. :)

Gonna start with Seigi no Mikata since it has Shida Mirai and I have been very impressed by her performance so far. Then I'll move on to Byakuyakou.
You're welcome ^^
You are going to see a very different Shida Mirai in Seigi no Mikata, she's a very talented actress.. also, sometime later... you can check Tantei Gakuen Q (ths SP first and then the drama) great and very very thrilling storyline along with interesting young cast...
Tantei Gakuen Q - RAW
soft subs

and yes for serious, I suggest CHANGE.. it gives us a real image of the world of politics today.. with a little bit of a hope for a better tomorrow..
CHANGE - hardsubs

I made the mistake of watching 1 Litre of Tears, 14 sai no haha, Jyoou no Kyoushitsu, and the Taiyou no Uta movie over the course of 4 or 5 days
I guess this was so troublesome for your mind... it's really hard to watch these dramas/stories in such a short time... try to avoid doing this in the next times XD

infundibuliform

Unappreciated Housewives

Post by infundibuliform » Jun 27th, '09, 04:44

I was watching Around 40 and the Queen's Classroom, which both had an unappreciated housewife. It's a sad, intriguing topic, so I was wondering if anyone knows of any dramas with them? It doesn't have to be the main focus, but I'd prefer if it lasts most of the drama. I don't really mind what the genre is. I prefer comedy, but as long as it's not horror, I don't care. haha High school dramas are okay, too. :P

csweet

Post by csweet » Jun 28th, '09, 05:49

I imagine there must be a lot of these, but the only one I can think of off hand is Koi Ga Shitai.

DaanNL

Post by DaanNL » Jun 28th, '09, 17:20

Hey all!

I'm a total noobie when it comes to j-drama's but I hope to change that in the near future :). I'm looking for a good j-drama that's yakuza or police related. At the moment i'm downloading my boss my hero. Hopefully someone has some series to reccomend for me?

Also, are there any series anyone should have watched in their life regardless of the subject of the series?

Thanks guys!

jewish_hotdog

Post by jewish_hotdog » Jun 29th, '09, 07:13

zizzle_stick wrote:
jewish_hotdog wrote:

my boss, my hero: i really enjoyed this one.
stand up! the background music is really good. hehe. and funny too.
Alright thanks, i'll check em out.

Any other recommendations for dramas simular to that of Hana Kimi and Mei Chan no Shitsuji?

The dramas I have seen are:
Hana kimi,
Nodame,
Hana Yori Dango,
Nobuda wo Produce,
Densha Otoko.

Ive found that the ones like Hana yori dango, Mei Chan no shitsuji and Hana kimi, I enjoy the most.

Oh and if you make a recommendation, plz make it rather recent.. Its amazing how the quality has shifted immensly with recent dramas and HD.

iluvasiandrama

Post by iluvasiandrama » Jun 29th, '09, 18:51

Anyone know of any recent martial arts type of movies? Or dramas that have fighting scenes? Nothing from the 70's and 80's preferably after year 2000. Thanks!

@cantaboy - I gave Proposal Daisakusen the benefit of the doubt...during the 5th episode I decided that I just couldn't watch anymore...it was just too boring and dragging too much. Instead, ended up watching all of A Love to Kill (kdrama) and I enjoyed every moment.

I am now watching Nodame Cantabile for the 2nd time :-)

wmcnair370

Post by wmcnair370 » Jun 30th, '09, 17:20

Just got done watching Tatta Hitotsu no Koi so I need another nice romantic drama to watch. Doesn't matter if there is a triangle or someone gets sick and almost dies. Just want something with a happy ending.

Any good suggestions?

ik0n

Post by ik0n » Jul 1st, '09, 09:13

^ Seen Akai Ito? Check it out. :)

Anyways, I just got done watching Cat Street few days ago and it was really good for a short series. Is there anything else like that? Short and simple but with good ending and good story-line. Let me know.

iluvasiandrama

Post by iluvasiandrama » Jul 1st, '09, 20:35

Please list or point me to a list of Japanese Historical Dramas. I see quite a few Korean and Chinese but don't know of Japanese. Any suggestions on a good one to start out with?

wmcnair370

Post by wmcnair370 » Jul 2nd, '09, 15:37

My favorite historical fiction dorama is Musashi because of the great acting and the star-studded cast. You really can't go wrong with any NHK Taiga dorama, but all of them are historical fiction.

kaneyamaboy

Post by kaneyamaboy » Jul 2nd, '09, 15:54

iluvasiandrama,

If you wanted to watch the available taigas (translated ones) in historical chronological order, this would be the correct order.

Yoshitsune - 1159 to 1189 (Minamoto Yoshitsune)
Hojo Tokimune - 1251 to 1284 (Hojo Tokimune)
Fuurin Kazan - 1535 to 1573 (Yamamoto Kansuke)
King of Zipangu - 1540 to 1583 (Oda Nobunaga)
Toshiie to Matsu - 1550 to 1599 (Maeda Toshiie)
Komyo ga Tsuji - 1560 to 1595 (Yamauchi Kazutoyo)
Tenchijin - 1560 to 1620 (Naoe Kanetsugu)
Sanada Taiheiki - 1582 to 1622 (Sanada Nobuyuki)
Aoi Tokugawa Sandai - 1598 to 1616 (Tokugawa Ieyasu)
Musashi - 1600 to 1645 (Miyamoto Musashi)
Genroku Ryoran - 1701 to 1703 (47 Ronin)
Atsu-hime - 1836 to 1883 (Princess Atsu)
Shinsengumi - 1863 to 1868 (Tokugawa Police)

kaneyamaboy

wmcnair370

Post by wmcnair370 » Jul 2nd, '09, 18:17

Cool. Arigatou.

iluvasiandrama

Post by iluvasiandrama » Jul 3rd, '09, 01:58

Sweet! Thanks kaneyamaboy and wmcnair.

@kaneyamaboy - Thanks for the detailed list! I will start checking for the uploads w/eng subs. What a treat! I have to get away from the "soap opera" drama's for a while. Need to see something different than the typical hopelessly desperate girl and overly arrogant guy ordeal.