[Discussion] Shiroi Haru (Abe Hiroshi,Yoshitaka Yuriko..)

Discuss Japanese drama series here.
Machihxh

[Discussion] Shiroi Haru (Abe Hiroshi,Yoshitaka Yuriko..)

Post by Machihxh » Apr 16th, '09, 09:47

I thought there would be a discussion thread for this drama here, however there wasn't one listed in the index so I thought I will make one. :D Has anyone seen Ep.1 of this drama yet, and if so, care to share your thoughts on here?:mrgreen:

http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Shiroi_Haru
Official Site

* Title: 白い春
* Title (romaji): Shiroi Haru
* Also known as: White Spring
* Format: Renzoku
* Genre: Family, drama
* Broadcast network: Fuji TV
* Broadcast period: 2009-Apr-14 to 2009-Jun
* Air time: Tuesday 22:00
* Theme song: Yokogao by Sakai Ayumi (阪井あゆみ)

Synopsis:
Former yakuza Haruo is finally released from prison after completing his sentence. With nine years worth of prison gratuities in hand, he stops at a restaurant to enjoy a good meal, but all of his money ends up being stolen. With nothing left, he spends the night at a net cafe, and he manages to look up his old friend from his yakuza days. When Haruo visits the next day, he learns that his old girlfriend Mariko was living with another man, but later died of illness. Haruo, who had committed murder 9 years earlier to earn the money for Mariko's medical treatment, is shocked and angered. He decides to track down that other man, who runs a bakery with his wife and daughter Sachi. Haruo later runs into Sachi at the park, but he has yet to find out the truth about her. --Tokyograph

Cast:
* Abe Hiroshi as Sakura Haruo
* Ohashi Nozomi as Murakami Sachi
* Yoshitaka Yuriko as Nishida Shiori
* Endo Yuya as Kojima Yuki
* Konno Mahiru as Takamura Mariko
* David Ito as Yasuoka Tatsuya
* Shiraishi Miho as Takamura Kanoko
* Endo Kenichi as Murakami Koji

Source:d-addicts...

Machihxh

Post by Machihxh » Apr 16th, '09, 10:01

After watching the first episode,
This might be a far fetched thought but, I somehow feel that the little girl Sachi might not be blood related to her father and that there might be a connection to her and Haruo. Either that or there's something tying her to Haruo somehow. I'm not sure why but that's the feeling that I got after watching the first ep. Anyone else have any other ideas or thoughts as to why that little girl is so drawn to Haruo? Perhaps the reason Mariko died was complications with the pregnancy? Maybe Sachi is Haruo and Mariko's child? Maybe Mariko didn't want Haruo to know the truth if that really were the case? I don't know....Hmm...:scratch:

citrone

Post by citrone » Apr 16th, '09, 12:55

Promising show but it is too early to say something.
Anyway, I always like Abe's shows....
Lets wait and see...

Makoto_

Post by Makoto_ » Apr 16th, '09, 18:15

I´m waiting for the subs to see this drama, sounds good
I like Abe-san and I´m a Yuriko-chan fan since Love Shuffle :)

chokubi

Post by chokubi » Apr 17th, '09, 04:47

Machihxh wrote:After watching the first episode,
Machihxh wrote:This might be a far fetched thought but, I somehow feel that the little girl Sachi might not be blood related to her father and that there might be a connection to her and Haruo. Either that or there's something tying her to Haruo somehow. I'm not sure why but that's the feeling that I got after watching the first ep. Anyone else have any other ideas or thoughts as to why that little girl is so drawn to Haruo? Perhaps the reason Mariko died was complications with the pregnancy? Maybe Sachi is Haruo and Mariko's child? Maybe Mariko didn't want Haruo to know the truth if that really were the case? I don't know....Hmm...:scratch:
I don't think it's far fetched in any way, 'cos I'm getting the same impression from ep1 too. My only doubt is how Mariko could ever got pregnant with Maruo in the 1st place. Unless it took place prior to her hospitalization. And then comes the (lack of) reason that she would want to hide it from him, or at least with the info we have from ep1.

celticmoon

Post by celticmoon » Apr 17th, '09, 09:17

Not far-fetched at all. Actually, on the top page of the official website, it has a short plot summary that describes Haruo as a man who encounters his daughter without knowing it. So it's actually a plot detail that's been revealed, even if not within the story yet. But I hadn't read that plot summary when I watched the first episode, and I got the same impression--I'm pretty sure that's the impression you're supposed to get. I don't think they'll keep it a secret too far into the drama.

Anyway, I liked the first episode. It seems pretty serious, but also seems to have its humorous moments. BOSS was good too, so this is looking like it will be a fairly good season.

chokubi

Post by chokubi » Apr 17th, '09, 10:26

Hmm... the show would have been better off without revealing such storyline info right at the start. But I guess the producers have their reasons for doing so.

lenrasoon

Post by lenrasoon » Apr 18th, '09, 22:08

Abe Hiroshi is a great actor^^ so i can't wait to watch this drama w/ subs!!

syaokizz

Post by syaokizz » Apr 18th, '09, 22:41

I hope someone will sub this.
I like Yuriko too. She's often start off as somewhat annoying character but turn out great. I really like her in Taiyou to Umi drama <3

xploring

Post by xploring » Apr 19th, '09, 04:24

The first episode was really good. Time flew by and it left me hoping for more at the end. Abe Hiroshi was great, and Konno Mahiru impressed me too. Lots of backstory and truth to be revealed, hopefully it will not be too frustrating.

chokubi

Post by chokubi » Apr 19th, '09, 17:52

syaokizz wrote:I hope someone will sub this.
TimeLesSub will be subbing this, can't wait myself! :pray:

mitch179

Post by mitch179 » Apr 20th, '09, 03:17

I love how Sachi thinks it's okay to talk to a stranger just because she has an alarm button. :P

mitch179

Post by mitch179 » Apr 22nd, '09, 14:17

Excuse the double post, but just watched episode 2....
Seems like a lot of people might be right with their prediction,
When I saw the very last scene in the preview for episode 3, I fell into shock.

calpisuu

Post by calpisuu » Apr 23rd, '09, 18:25

About Sachi being Haruo's child...
Actually during the Waratte Iitomo SP [2009.04.13] Abe Hiroshi has already explained that Haruo has a child he didn't know about because he was in prison. So I guess Sachi really is blood related...
but I'm sure more drama will come up... :unsure:

so_dep

Post by so_dep » Apr 24th, '09, 00:44

I totally like how it's starting out, though cannot say muc hyet, seems like a very interesting series

Machihxh

Post by Machihxh » Apr 26th, '09, 23:59

The 2nd ep where,
Haruo was dragging those items(bus stop sign, etc) to the bakery, I thought that was hilarious, and where Murakami Koji had to keep dragging it back. :lol . I'm interested in seeing what role Nishida Shiori has in Haruo's life and I can't wait to see the next ep. where Sachi shows Haruo the picture of her mother. It will be interesting to see how Haruo becomes a fatherly figure to Sachi, as right now I think Sachi somewhat has the stability of a family at the bakery home.

bshater

Post by bshater » Apr 27th, '09, 03:15

i know its too early, but based on what i've seen from the first episode, this series is shaping up to be the one of the best this year. the interactions are so interesting and fun to watch. i especially loved the restaurant scene between haruo and the old man and every little minor thing that he did in the street (stealing the bananas and tangerines). although this drama won't be as funny as Kekkon Dekinai Otoko, i think the drama of this series will be just as engaging to watch.

anyhow, does anyone know the title of the ending song?

marspeach

Post by marspeach » Apr 27th, '09, 03:38

bshater wrote:i know its too early, but based on what i've seen from the first episode, this series is shaping up to be the one of the best this year. the interactions are so interesting and fun to watch. i especially loved the restaurant scene between haruo and the old man and every little minor thing that he did in the street (stealing the bananas and tangerines). although this drama won't be as funny as Kekkon Dekinai Otoko, i think the drama of this series will be just as engaging to watch.

Yokogao by Sakai Ayumi

yopakfu

Post by yopakfu » Apr 28th, '09, 03:47

bshater wrote:i know its too early, but based on what i've seen from the first episode, this series is shaping up to be the one of the best this year. the interactions are so interesting and fun to watch. i especially loved the restaurant scene between haruo and the old man and every little minor thing that he did in the street (stealing the bananas and tangerines). although this drama won't be as funny as Kekkon Dekinai Otoko, i think the drama of this series will be just as engaging to watch.

You're absolutely right. The first episode was really a great intro to the drama. Abe Hiroshi is almost perfect for this role because of his emotionless face XD, something which I really like about him compared to a lot of other Japanese male actors who often show too exerrated emotions/faces IMO.

And about the interactions, I totally agree with you. It's really well done and it has a bunch of interesting characters that you want to know better and see more of.
Although this seems a rather serious drama, it's great they've given it a little comedic touch. Because well, that's what I like so much about how Abe portrays his characters. Always a little clumsy and slow, with just a few words (like in Kekkon Dekinai Otoko, At Home Dad etc.). What you said about him stealing banana's, that's just what I thought when I saw it. Picking up a giant banana bunch and going for the small bunch afterall, just that little detail puts a smile on my face. You'll understand if you've seen Abe's drama's.

All in all, I really liked this first episode and it's been a while since I enjoyed a drama like this one. But maybe because I'm a real fan of Abe Hiroshi! :D Have been waiting for a new drama with him as lead for AGES! Hope the next episode will be great too!

Edit: It's sad to see that great drama's like these get little attention here on DA. I guess the majority of DA is female, that's why topics of drama's like "Mei-chan no Shitsuji" get so much posts. It's pretty annoying IMO, because most of those fangirls like those drama's for the 'super handsome guys'..... and guys like me just don't watch those... can't stand them :| I just think other drama's need to get a little more attention...

chokubi

Post by chokubi » Apr 28th, '09, 05:33

Good dramas don't need to be appreciated by the masses, they only need to be appreciated by those who do. :fear:

lunas

Post by lunas » Apr 29th, '09, 14:27

I do believe this drama didn't get much discussion not because of the fan based issue but because majority of people here do not understand Japanese and we're all rely on the sub. Love Shuffle was one of the best series came out last season and there was not much discussion in that forum when it aired as well. It's much more fun to have weekly discussion when you understand it or someone put up a summary but if either of those things happen, it hard to have a discussion.

furransu
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by furransu » Apr 29th, '09, 14:36

only johnnys related dramas get discussed a lot...

anyways, ep1 was really good! really enjoying this drama.. good story..

Issy

Post by Issy » Apr 29th, '09, 15:09

lunas wrote:I do believe this drama didn't get much discussion not because of the fan based issue but because majority of people here do not understand Japanese and we're all rely on the sub. Love Shuffle was one of the best series came out last season and there was not much discussion in that forum when it aired as well. It's much more fun to have weekly discussion when you understand it or someone put up a summary but if either of those things happen, it hard to have a discussion.
i totally agree. i have been meaning to watch this drama but just dled the subbed ep1 now. and as the pace between subbed and aired eps gets more and more, it even gets harder. i hope that i did not sound too demanding for subs ASAP and i am so grateful for the subbing team for picking up this project and i wish them all the best. all i am saying that it make a difference when it's been discussed. the same thing happening with other dramas that i am currently watching/waiting.

bshater

Post by bshater » Apr 29th, '09, 15:25

marspeach wrote:
Yokogao by Sakai Ayumi
thanks but when i typed in Yokogao at youtube, it came up with a different song by Noriko Sakai. :scratch: do you have a link to the song by any chance?

zettaiKaren

Post by zettaiKaren » Apr 29th, '09, 15:53

bshater wrote:
marspeach wrote:
Yokogao by Sakai Ayumi
thanks but when i typed in Yokogao at youtube, it came up with a different song by Noriko Sakai. :scratch: do you have a link to the song by any chance?
The single hasn't been released yet (not until 5/13). You can check yesasia for details.

Issy

Post by Issy » Apr 30th, '09, 00:26

i just finished watching ep1 and i must say that i am really loving it. this drama would be a one of my highlights of each week to wait and enjoy.
i have never seen a drama with abe hiroshi before apart from taiga dramas so it is quiet strange do see him in normal clothing :lol
so it is a known fact even before that drama starts that sachi is harou is daughter. so i guess the truth will be out in no time. because they really can't keep story as like we need to keep guessing about this fact.
and the girl who acts as sachi is very sweet and cute. can't wait for next ep.
i have to say this, Abe Hiroshi's voice never fails to amaze me. so strong and manly and so powerful. just love to hear him speak. :pale:
:-)

mitch179

Post by mitch179 » Apr 30th, '09, 14:26

Mr. Baker Man is a liar!

Ginto-gin

Post by Ginto-gin » May 1st, '09, 01:41

Issy wrote:i have never seen a drama with abe hiroshi before apart from taiga dramas so it is quiet strange do see him in normal clothing :lol
That made me laugh, Issy :lol I agree with you; we see a different Abe Hiroshi in this one, and yet he maintains that commanding presence he's known for.

That girl Yoshitaka Yuriko is alright-- I didn't care for her much in Taiyo to Umi no Kyoshitsu, but I really liked her in Love Shuffle. I guess she's growing on me, eh?

I have to say that the baked breads and pastries look yummy!!!

k361
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by k361 » May 1st, '09, 11:34

Shame on me.
I loved Love Shuffle and did not regonize Yoshitaka Yuriko in Shiroi Haru.

totemokakkoii

Post by totemokakkoii » May 1st, '09, 15:05

k361 wrote:Shame on me.
oh dear.. shame on me even more.. i like 'kairi' in Love Shuffle, and i totally din realised that's her in shiroi haru!

Issy

Post by Issy » May 1st, '09, 19:11

k361 wrote:Shame on me.
you are not the only one. i too did not recognize her until she smiled and i remembered her then. i totally forgot that she is in this drama too. she had a heavy make up just apposite love shuffle, i think that was the reason.

ZoddGuts

Post by ZoddGuts » May 3rd, '09, 11:47

So far I'm liking this series. I get the feeling that Abe's character will help the young couple soon because her boyfriend will not be able to pay back that gangster guy. Also wonder if the truth will get revealed that he is the father of that girl which I do think he is. If it does it would "break" the current family apart that she has so maybe he won't tell her afterall and just see her around like he currently is.

Post by 1923814 » May 5th, '09, 23:55

yopakfu wrote:Edit: It's sad to see that great drama's like these get little attention here on DA. I guess the majority of DA is female, that's why topics of drama's like "Mei-chan no Shitsuji" get so much posts. It's pretty annoying IMO, because most of those fangirls like those drama's for the 'super handsome guys'..... and guys like me just don't watch those... can't stand them :| I just think other drama's need to get a little more attention...
I watch a lot of dramas and animes but I also can't stand those kind of dramas, those people must be watching the dramas for the wrong reason. If they're even paying attention to the drama itself, compared to them just drooling over the actors- those dramas probably exist specifically for that crowd. I think that those kind of people really need to get into a relationship, a drama should be watched for the story and for what it is. We don't get much conversation on dramas that are actually good because we're lacking a proper fanbase for it, we need a place where loads of real drama fans can come together- maybe their just aren't that many non-japanese people that take interest in it.

I've watched the first 2 episodes so far of shiroi haru and I'm very much enjoying it, abe's doing a great job and he fits his role good. Other characters are interesting too and leave you wanting the story to progress with them, and by the end of the episode and especially the preview for the next episode- it just leaves you wanting to watch more of the drama.

dabogy

Post by dabogy » May 6th, '09, 00:39

1923814 wrote:
yopakfu wrote:Edit: It's sad to see that great drama's like these get little attention here on DA. I guess the majority of DA is female, that's why topics of drama's like "Mei-chan no Shitsuji" get so much posts. It's pretty annoying IMO, because most of those fangirls like those drama's for the 'super handsome guys'..... and guys like me just don't watch those... can't stand them :| I just think other drama's need to get a little more attention...
I watch a lot of dramas and animes but I also can't stand those kind of dramas, those people must be watching the dramas for the wrong reason. If they're even paying attention to the drama itself, compared to them just drooling over the actors- those dramas probably exist specifically for that crowd. I think that those kind of people really need to get into a relationship, a drama should be watched for the story and for what it is. We don't get much conversation on dramas that are actually good because we're lacking a proper fanbase for it, we need a place where loads of real drama fans can come together- maybe their just aren't that many non-japanese people that take interest in it.

I've watched the first 2 episodes so far of shiroi haru and I'm very much enjoying it, abe's doing a great job and he fits his role good. Other characters are interesting too and leave you wanting the story to progress with them, and by the end of the episode and especially the preview for the next episode- it just leaves you wanting to watch more of the drama.
Obviously, I agree that a drama should have good story to it...but can you really put a "right" reason for watching a drama? There might be ppl who watch these shows to learn the language...there might be people who watch these to learn the culture...there might be people who watch them purely for the actors in it...are any of these reasons wrong? I don't think so. If the majority watch for hot actors/actresses, so be it.

Issy

Post by Issy » May 6th, '09, 00:43

I watch a lot of dramas and animes but I also can't stand those kind of dramas, those people must be watching the dramas for the wrong reason. If they're even paying attention to the drama itself, compared to them just drooling over the actors- those dramas probably exist specifically for that crowd. I think that those kind of people really need to get into a relationship, a drama should be watched for the story and for what it is.
to be honest, i am one of those people who enjoyed dramas like mei-chan no shitsuji and was writing alot on its thread when it was on air. we have to bear in mind that everyone's taste in drama choice is different. we really can't say if those fans watching those "sort of dramas" for any "wrong" or right reasons. they watched them because they like them. it applys to everyone.
it also does not mean that people who watch those sort of dramas, do not watch dramas like shiroi harou. i am one of them. i try to watch whatever i think is decent enough to watch. i stick with it if it gets my attention.
having all grown up cast in one drama does not make it any better or worse than other dramas that have a popular idol. as you said, the drama must be watched for its story. no matter how much the fans go crazy about their idol's drama, if it is rubbish, the truth will be told eventually.
and fansubbers still picking these dramas for subbing. shirou harou is one example.
i think that we should worry less about attention paid to this thread and discuss it more. this way, will attracts others attention and it would be a very lively thread.

sorry about my rant.

back to the drama, i just finished watching ep2 and i must say it was so emotional that brought tears to my eyes. Abe Hiroshi is just so great in his role (as usual).
specially the scene where he was hungry and had to steal other homeless guy food.
but all i want to know is when sachi will find out that harou is her real father. would they take it till very last ep/ because if this is the case, it's going to be very annoying.

by the look of it, from ep3 preview, harou will find out that sachi is mariko's daughter and that mr baker guy would lie to him saying that she is his daughter with mariko. to be honest, this is very expecte of him. every other person would do the same thing. the fact that he is offering money to harou is the big sign for it.

what i am curious about is the money and where it has gone. could it be that his friend taken the money and not given anything to mariko? he keeps offering moeny to harou and this act makes him very suspecious. i just can't see him as a honest guy even though he is so caring for harou.
it seems that i will be dling the raw version for now till the subbed version is out.

mitch179

Post by mitch179 » May 6th, '09, 14:31

As I watch each episode in the series, I grow to love this drama more and more.

I just finished watching ep 4.
*Excuse the analytical exposition here, but....*
I realise that the director has portrayed the characters and positioned the audience to sympathise with Haruo, but I generally do sympathise with him.
Mr. Baker Man and Mariko's sister, I do not like, as they are keeping a very big secret away from Sacchi, that she deserves to know.

At the end where they showed the preview for ep 5, It appears that he finds the photo, and he comes to realise what is happening. The preview just made me love the drama more and more.
Do I really have to wait a whole week to see ep 5?
Can't they just put a whole day of Shiroi Haru?
It's so worth the wait, but the drama is so intense, that I can't wait.

a2a

Post by a2a » May 6th, '09, 16:29

Oh yeah I too watched the 4th ep:
Haruo doesn't deserve the treatment he gets from Murakami but I do see his point. He was the one who raised Sachi after all and he doesn't know that Haruo got into jail for nothing. He feels his position as a father threatened by a man who just came out of prison.
And it doesn't help that Sachi too an immediate liking to Haruo. The way she burst into tears at the end of the episode must have been been shocking for him.

Hmmmm... So far there haven't been any "bad" people in this story. Only good people and lots of misunderstandings & secrets.
Really can't wait for 5 now!

Oh and I'm one of those people who "drool" over pretty idols at dramas but I do recognise a good story when I see it. And there are a lot of reasons to watch a drama besides the story. Like dabogy said to learn the language is one of them. I don't think I would be able to understand japanese so well if I didn't watch a ton of dramas both good & bad.
And yes it's a matter of preferences as well...

Post by 1923814 » May 6th, '09, 17:07

Well they make shows for all kinds of peoples interests, I wanted to mainly point out that many bleh dramas get a lot of attention because of it conversation wise- compared to other good ones that get pushed to the side. Indeed dramas and anime and such can help you learn japanese, you really have to put it together with looking up countless words in a japanese dictionary if you want to learn properly from it- since you can't expect to learn by subtitles properly since it can be translated which ever way.

I normally watch dramas raw since I know and can read a lot of japanese, but I wait for subtitles for some shows that I really like so that I don't not understand a few words that I may not know yet- it's also easier to watch with subtitles of course.

zettaiKaren

Post by zettaiKaren » May 6th, '09, 18:38

There's nothing wrong w/ watching a drama purely for certain actors/actresses regardless of content, although I do draw the line when a drama is total crap. In defense of the original poster, I think s/he was only complaining about the number of posts for dramas such as Atashinchi no Danshi (just for the sake of argument :P ), where the majority of them are ogling/commenting on how hot their idols are. One (who is not a fan) may have to wade thru pages of posts in order to get a feel for whether the drama is worth watching; there're threads devoted to the actors/actresses to express your opinion than to do it in the drama thread. Of course commenting on the their performance wrt to the drama is fair game. Just my 2 cents.

steam

Post by steam » May 6th, '09, 18:42

PS2 - Yakuza = this drama

Nomanymore

Post by Nomanymore » May 6th, '09, 20:30

to be honest, i am one of those people who enjoyed dramas like mei-chan no shitsuji and was writing alot on its thread when it was on air. we have to bear in mind that everyone's taste in drama choice is different. we really can't say if those fans watching those "sort of dramas" for any "wrong" or right reasons. they watched them because they like them. it applys to everyone.
it also does not mean that people who watch those sort of dramas, do not watch dramas like shiroi harou. i am one of them. i try to watch whatever i think is decent enough to watch. i stick with it if it gets my attention.
having all grown up cast in one drama does not make it any better or worse than other dramas that have a popular idol. as you said, the drama must be watched for its story. no matter how much the fans go crazy about their idol's drama, if it is rubbish, the truth will be told eventually.
and fansubbers still picking these dramas for subbing. shirou harou is one example.
i think that we should worry less about attention paid to this thread and discuss it more. this way, will attracts others attention and it would be a very lively thread.
I somehow agree with this. I didn't watch Mei-chan because it wasn't my taste, but it doesn't mean the drama was bad. And it's a fact, not every drama viewers comment on D-Addicts forum! so people should not bother about why this thread has more post than other. That is actually the reason why I don't post anything in this thread, even though I am watching this series& loving it. I hate it when people try to impose their own opinion to everyone. At least in AtaDan thread, nobody is complaining anything about any other dramas. Once you're a fan, u don't care about such little things w others. Everyone has their own reference, if you don't like a drama, don't go call things about those who're following it, like 'I can't believe there're people watching such craps instead of this amazing series!' O__o wth is that. Those dramas can be totally different, if there's nothing in common to be based on to compare, don't go ask which one deserves more :blink
Okay, I'm speaking in general here, not directing to anyone in any sort, so don't bash me please. Just my opinions, feel free to skip. ^_^

lunas

Post by lunas » May 7th, '09, 13:22

How in the world did this forum turned into why people watched Mei-chan? I personally enjoyed Mei-chan for pure entertainment and I look forward for a SP or a 2nd season. I do believe that not every series is for everyone and we all should just leave it at that.
To continue on with the discussion for Shiroi Haru, Abe Hiroshi's character in this is so much darker than other series he was in and frankly in some of the scenes he kind of scare me a little bit. Yoshitaka Yuriko's character is much more livelier in here than the 2 series I watched with her in it. So far I like the the pace of the storyline.

CP93

Post by CP93 » May 8th, '09, 05:09

Only two episodes and I'm hooked...

*anxiously waits for ep 03 to be subbed*

gauri92

Post by gauri92 » May 11th, '09, 20:47

the third epi has been subbed....
and i cant wait for teh fourth one now...
this has gotta b one of teh best dramas iv seen this season.......

Akiramike
Fansubber
Fansubber
Australia

Post by Akiramike » May 12th, '09, 08:38

1923814 wrote:I watch a lot of dramas and animes but I also can't stand those kind of dramas, those people must be watching the dramas for the wrong reason.
The fact is that those dramas are aimed at the fangirls. Where they cast actors for ratings and just cook up a story as a vehicle for the idols. It just depends on whether one watches jdoramas purely for eyecandy or for eyecandy + good story + acting.

Just watched ep 4 and its pretty good. Plotwise it seems to be slowing down but I can't wait for ep 5. You don't need subs to understand most of the story anyway. Would have liked Shiroi Haru to achieve KDO 20% ratings though. It deserves to be watched.

Issy

Post by Issy » May 12th, '09, 09:50

Akiramike wrote:
1923814 wrote:I watch a lot of dramas and animes but I also can't stand those kind of dramas, those people must be watching the dramas for the wrong reason.
The fact is that those dramas are aimed at the fangirls. Where they cast actors for ratings and just cook up a story as a vehicle for the idols. It just depends on whether one watches jdoramas purely for eyecandy or for eyecandy + good story + acting.

Just watched ep 4 and its pretty good. Plotwise it seems to be slowing down but I can't wait for ep 5. You don't need subs to understand most of the story anyway. Would have liked Shiroi Haru to achieve KDO 20% ratings though. It deserves to be watched.
but how long an eyecandy can keep a horrible show alive? no matter how much that particular idol has a die hard fans, if the drama is bad, it will fail eventually.

i guess, you can tell how bad or good a show is when you read various people (fan or no fan of that particular idol ) commenting about it. reading all good reviews about an show from idol's fan does not help much specially if you get attacked everytime you have a different view from that community. it will keep genuine drama watchers away from that thread because their views might get attacked.

aaaaaaand Be Hiroshi is an eyecandy himself. :mrgreen: watching shiroi harou made me go back and start watching his older dramas. i am really loving him at the moment.
i am dling all the raw eps right now. have to watch them all, can't wait. :cheers:

zettaiKaren

Post by zettaiKaren » May 12th, '09, 17:44

Post deleted.
Last edited by zettaiKaren on May 29th, '09, 03:16, edited 1 time in total.

furransu
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by furransu » May 12th, '09, 18:34

yoshitaka yuriko is really pretty isn't she... :D

this drama just grows on you every episode.. btw IMO the yakuza money was stolen by his yakuza friend to make the bar...

celticmoon

Post by celticmoon » May 13th, '09, 01:13

^ Yeah, that's what I'm speculating as well. If you can even call it speculation... It seems like the only logical explanation, at least at this point.

Akiramike
Fansubber
Fansubber
Australia

Post by Akiramike » May 14th, '09, 22:00

Issy wrote:but how long an eyecandy can keep a horrible show alive? no matter how much that particular idol has a die hard fans, if the drama is bad, it will fail eventually.

i guess, you can tell how bad or good a show is when you read various people (fan or no fan of that particular idol ) commenting about it. reading all good reviews about an show from idol's fan does not help much specially if you get attacked everytime you have a different view from that community. it will keep genuine drama watchers away from that thread because their views might get attacked.
Jdoramas are about ratings and many horrible shows have good ratings because of casting. I think a good review is about why a show is good/bad and not just saying an actor is so kakoii. I haven't tried dissing any shows in d-addicts yet but some threads really do scare me.

It just reminds me of the wife of a friend of mine who said The Peacemaker was a good movie just because she liked Clooney and Kidman. Shiroi haru deserves a 20% rating.

citrone

Post by citrone » May 14th, '09, 22:43

Akiramike wrote:
Issy wrote: Shiroi haru deserves a 20% rating.
Same in here.. Especially considering other recent dramas...

Elitist Grammarian

Post by Elitist Grammarian » May 15th, '09, 00:45

I know I'm a bit late in starting this one, but I just watched the first episode and Abe Hiroshi has just made it onto my list of favourite actors.

I've seen him in a few things like At Home Dad and Kekkon Dekinai Otoko before, but never in a role like this. He does it well.

zettaiKaren

Post by zettaiKaren » May 15th, '09, 18:20

bshater wrote:
marspeach wrote:
Yokogao by Sakai Ayumi
Just posted yesterday

bshater

Post by bshater » May 16th, '09, 05:56

zettaiKaren wrote:
bshater wrote:
marspeach wrote:
Yokogao by Sakai Ayumi
Just posted yesterday

thanks for the link!

furransu
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by furransu » May 19th, '09, 06:54

if you guys are interested, theres softsubs here until ep5 by SMP-subs ^^
http://smp-subs.blogspot.com/

mavi

Post by mavi » May 19th, '09, 07:24

Yeah thanks a lot to both TImeLesSubs and SMP subs for subbing this. I I love SMP's speed though and im grateful to him/her for continuing it even after the reception his episode 3 got

paradox

Post by paradox » May 19th, '09, 09:14

what reception do u mean? o_o

mavi

Post by mavi » May 19th, '09, 09:35

zettaiKaren

Post by zettaiKaren » May 19th, '09, 19:30

Post deleted.
Last edited by zettaiKaren on May 29th, '09, 03:18, edited 1 time in total.

gauri92

Post by gauri92 » May 19th, '09, 22:09

wow....im glad i was able to see till episode 5....its a great drama....and i can't wait for the next epi......!!!!

Issy

Post by Issy » May 20th, '09, 22:10

watched eps 3, 4, 5, 6 last night in one go.
i am loving this drama more and mre and being a crybaby, i could not help not to get teary eyes in each ep. :cry:

here is my thoughts about this drama so far
althought i am loving it but i have to say that its pace gets slow sometimes. the fact the only up to ep5 when he found out about sachi's being his own, was dragging enough. i am still happy that they got this bit out of their way already and now they can concentrate more on haru's transformation into a better person.

mariko's sister role in the story is a bit annoying. i can see that she will cause more problem for haru in the future. maybe even more than mr baker himself? not sure but till now not really liking her character.

shiori's is so adorable. i can't see any romantic story will be happening between her and haru but the fact the she is gradually falling in love with haru is so adorable.
and now i am more than sure that haru's friend has taken the money.

i know that they want to show that the bond between child and parents can be so strong but the way sachi is loving haru is unbelieveble and it's a bit cheesy. at the end of the day she did not had enough contact with him to make her so supportive of her.
she is even prepared to ignore her current father orders for haru's sake. it's kind of hard to believe in this part

saying all the above, i am really looking forward for next ep.

citrone

Post by citrone » May 20th, '09, 23:54

I wonder how they will introduce 8 million problem.

I afraid about a sad ending. Haru seems to be gradually becoming a father. I hope they do not push this to "Father protect their child with their life" and sacrifice haru at he end. Although I do not hope so, I am expecting a disease case in later episodes! It will be very sad if child got same desease with mother issue happens!

zettaiKaren

Post by zettaiKaren » May 21st, '09, 00:13

Issy wrote:watched eps 3, 4, 5, 6 last night in one go.
i am loving this drama more and mre and being a crybaby, i could not help not to get teary eyes in each ep. :cry:

here is my thoughts about this drama so far
althought i am loving it but i have to say that its pace gets slow sometimes. the fact the only up to ep5 when he found out about sachi's being his own, was dragging enough. i am still happy that they got this bit out of their way already and now they can concentrate more on haru's transformation into a better person.

mariko's sister role in the story is a bit annoying. i can see that she will cause more problem for haru in the future. maybe even more than mr baker himself? not sure but till now not really liking her character.

shiori's is so adorable. i can't see any romantic story will be happening between her and haru but the fact the she is gradually falling in love with haru is so adorable.
and now i am more than sure that haru's friend has taken the money.

i know that they want to show that the bond between child and parents can be so strong but the way sachi is loving haru is unbelieveble and it's a bit cheesy. at the end of the day she did not had enough contact with him to make her so supportive of her.
she is even prepared to ignore her current father orders for haru's sake. it's kind of hard to believe in this part

saying all the above, i am really looking forward for next ep.
I find the pacing fine, except for the overuse of repetitive flashbacks. Afterall this is not a drama that's heavy on plot and suspense (in fact everything that will happen in the next episode is pretty much revealed in the preview); it's more of a character study on human interactions thru mundane daily chores.

In any given day, each person comes into contact with at least several, if not dozens of people. Have you ever experience a certain attraction to a person (in a platonic way) w/o knowing why? In a sense this is one way of looking at the ties that bind all people, as presented through the father, his daughter, and the other characters.

To me the father/daughter bonding as depicted is neither believable nor unbelievable (scientifically speaking), although IMO you'll probably enjoy the drama a lot more if you can just buy into the premise. As far as the ending goes, I'm fearing for the worst as it seems to be the most realistic and logical conclusion to the current situation (unless they want to turn it into a cinderella story).

Issy

Post by Issy » May 21st, '09, 00:31

I was thinking about its ending last night and i thought "i really would hate an ending like he will do an ultimate sacrifice and not tell her about his true identity." for some reasons, i can see this coming. i really hope that i am wrong.

as for watching and " just buy into the premise" , i guess, sometimes you can do that and sometimes you just can't. but i am enjoying this drama to its fullest anyway. :cheers:

nihon-tsubasa

Post by nihon-tsubasa » May 24th, '09, 16:12

ep6 of shiroi haru is out by SMP subs

8)

paradox

Post by paradox » May 25th, '09, 04:01

Not really. children disobey parents all the time, even when really small. besides its not like its a big deal.

watched ep6. it was pretty good.

CP93

Post by CP93 » May 25th, '09, 05:41

nihon-tsubasa wrote:ep6 of shiroi haru is out by SMP subs

8)
Yay! :D

nihon-tsubasa

Post by nihon-tsubasa » May 25th, '09, 12:09

Why are timeless subs so slow and why they don't let SPM do this drama? :cussing:
there subs are very good
anyway watched ep6 and it's very good :D

xploring

Post by xploring » May 25th, '09, 12:22

nihon-tsubasa wrote:Why are timeless subs so slow and why they don't let SPM do this drama? :cussing:
there subs are very good
anyway watched ep6 and it's very good :D
It's funny how you complain TimeLes Subs is slow but ask people to wait for subs and be patient in your signature...

We are too spoiled. We get what we want but still we find something to complain... I do it too but for different things.

Anyway, the highlight of episode 6 for me was
Haruo's smile at the park
. Even though it was a bit creepy, it was heartwarming to see.

furransu
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by furransu » May 25th, '09, 12:38

that baker is not even sachi's father.. he is not even married to mariko.. just a caretaker?? lol

i hope haruo and sachi get together again..

Tadanga

Post by Tadanga » May 26th, '09, 08:33

Poor Panyasan deserves some credit for investing 8 years of his life in this.
The giraffe on the roof !!
Scrubbing the grave, that was a killer for me.

Post by 1923814 » May 27th, '09, 03:33

Some thoughts on episode 7..
I thought that it was hilarious when haruo was making a mess of the upstairs house leaving all of the drawers open and such, then they came home and thought that a burglar hit the place. Wonder what will happen with shiori in the next episode, it will probably lead to hauro finding out what happened with the yakuza stuff.

Issy

Post by Issy » May 27th, '09, 23:05

I thought ep7 was one of the best and storongest ep so far. it seems that i can't hold my tears whenever i am watching shiroi haru. every ep has to make me :cry:
I just loved those emotional scenes in this ep. sachi celebrating murakami's b-day and haru looking at them with teary eyes was such a great scene.
and the scene where a simple tennis game was changed to a real life competition between the two to prove themselves worthy to sachi

but i feel really sad everytime haru want to touch sachi and remembers what mr baker told him (" to keep away his murdurer hands off sachi) and he hold back.

with every ep, i get more and more sure that will withdraw himself and leave sachi under mr baker's care. because he saw how great he was taking care of sachi and how hard he worked to provide her lots of luxuries.

i really don't want this ending though. i want haru to be included in sachi's life.
the sister seems to be in love with mr baker and is kind of jealous of her sister that always had some one loving her so deeply. i think haru will do something about it later on in future eps.

as for shiori, i just can't have enough of how adorable she is. she really cares about haru and she might think that she is in love with him. but i think he is filling a the missing fatherly role in her life. i am just so curious to see how it developes between these two.

oh, and that fake smile on haru's face, was hillarious.

zettaiKaren

Post by zettaiKaren » May 28th, '09, 05:19

Issy wrote:I thought ep7 was one of the best and storongest ep so far. it seems that i can't hold my tears whenever i am watching shiroi haru. every ep has to make me :cry:
I agree. Now that the writer has taken his sweet time to get us emotionally attached to the characters, the plot may actually start moving at a faster pace. I thought to myself after ep. 6 that it would be nice if the story ends right there, as the situation can't get any better and can only go downhill. The 800M yen mystery will probably resurface at some point and Haruo's Yakuza connecton will come back to haunt him. I hope I'm wrong, but things don't look good from the preview for ep. 8. :-(

TG3

Post by TG3 » May 28th, '09, 07:34

I was pretty disappointed by this season's dramas. Nothing really "stuck" for me, so I tried Hiroshi Abe, cuz he sometimes surprises me (like with Kekkon Dekinai Otoko). I watched one episode of this series, and I couldn't stop watching it!

The truth about Sachi's identity really wasn't a mystery to me. In fact, the writer seemed to set it up where the audience was kind of in an "omnipotent" viewpoint where we knew the spoiler, but the character(s) didn't.

This is definitely one of the best tearjerkers I've seen in a good while. Hiroshi Abe should get best actor this season. It isn't even close.