[Discussion] Zettai Kareshi / Absolute Boyfriend

Discuss Japanese drama series here.
seirin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by seirin » Apr 19th, '09, 21:12

I kind of do and kind of don't understand why just because if something can't grow old and can't have kids be an issue to be together. Sure he's a robot, but he loves like a human. If the issue is he can't have kids and grow old together that's part of humanity too. Some people don't grow old together. Your spouse might end up in an accident and die. Some are sterile. If someone has a disease and dying soon. That person isn't qualified for love?

If the issue is a person living forever. Then let's assume the Highlander. He lives forever and can't have kids. Does that make him not suitable for love? Sure robots don't grow old and die. But they can always decommission him later if he chooses.

chocoasaurus

Post by chocoasaurus » Apr 19th, '09, 22:34

But thinking of Riiko's feelings too, as a woman view, he can't make her happy, having children, and growing old together.
And suppose that she will be happy no matter what, I guess he must be in a huge pain while watching Riiko growing old, being sick, and dying and he will be as always, never change. As he will be in pain while watching her like that, she won't feel happy neither, and like that, he know he is not the one who brings her happiness.

Knowing that eternal love should be a great thing, but only love can't make people happy.

Issy

Post by Issy » Apr 20th, '09, 00:58

I agree.
it's so easy to say that LOVE fix everything and as long as they are happy together, growing old and not having kids should not be a problem.
actually it would be a problem in long term because this is human nature. in long term no matter how much riko loves nighto, she will feel the diffrence when she is old and grumpy and he is as young as he was. even living like this would be a problem. we have to remember that she is not living on a deserted island but she is living with other people too. after years, people will think of nighto as her grandson most prabably. :lol

i used to think like that when i read the manga at first. but now after years, i see it as totally impossible. at the end of the day, he is still a robot. no matter how greatly he was made and being kept updated, it still does not match human level of emotions, feelings and behaviour. we are looking at nighto as equal to a human being with extra merits of never grwoing old and being strong and perfect ...and get carried away with our feelings. but actually this is not the case. he is still a robot. no match for a human. becuase it was a human who made it in the first place.

maybe my intepretaion of this manga is different from others and i might be wrong. but i think that yuu watase's whole thoughts on ending the story like this was not on the basis of a robot can develop human like feelings and actually can live up to a human (because it was done before in The Bicentennial Man by Isaac Asimov where we clearly can see what will happen to riko in the future if we based ZK on this story)
but maybe she wanted to say that this is the beauty of human being. even though they are not perfect and what they do and how they bahave and feel.

or maybe, she was actually coping the same story here as above and wanted to say LOVE makes everything possible (which i can't really agree with it in this case) and as far as mangas go, everything and anything is possible. :roll

seirin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by seirin » Apr 20th, '09, 02:02

Well, age is timeless. If you say as someone ages and their partner is young, then what about older women dating young men or old men dating young women? Is that not love? Yea yea some say it would be for money, but I'm sure not all are like that. Also what makes people think Night will out live Riko? Night will out live Riko as long as Narimiki is alive. Night keeps breaking down. If Narimiki is not around to repair him, Night will probably die before Riko. Also, even if Night out lives Riko, as long as Narimiki is alive he can ask him to decommission him. Basically, the only thing I can see is the concept of a human-robot relationship. If a person can get past that, there really isn't issue. Having a person die earlier or later is part of fate (death by accidents, natural disaster, disease). Being unable to reproduce is also part of human issue which few people have as well. Having someone only love one person is also choice. Some choose to love only one person. If their partner dies, they would just live on alone until they die to join their partner.

What we feel is what society dictates. If it was in the past, inter-racial marriage was looked down upon. If anyone did it, they would be pointed and gossiped at. Even now, in certain countries, even if you're not blood related people discriminate you for marrying an adopted sister/brother, marrying your brother's ex-girlfriend, or social status (poor marrying rich).

Regarding perfection and imperfection. Who is to say. Humans are imperfect in their own way. Night is imperfect in his own way. Everyone has strengths and weaknesses. It's just learning to adapt, grow, care about others and learn to over come obstacles that makes us human. And Night has shown he can adapt and learn.

Issy

Post by Issy » Apr 20th, '09, 02:26

Well, age is timeless. If you say as someone ages and their partner is young, then what about older women dating young men or old men dating young women? Is that not love?
i totally did NOT mean that. my point was that in long term it might effect their relationship. of course we have many people that are living proof for such relationship existance and is surely is based on love. but also can't deny the fact that no matter how strong their love is, somedays they can feel the differences. living as part of society and trying not to care about how we are precieved, can be very difficult even though if we are right in what we think.

ParadiseLost

Post by ParadiseLost » Apr 20th, '09, 02:27

this conversation is getting pretty wierd. I myself wouldnt want to love anything that runs off an Intel processor... period.

Issy

Post by Issy » Apr 20th, '09, 02:33

ParadiseLost wrote:this conversation is getting pretty wierd. I myself wouldnt want to love anything that runs off an Intel processor... period.
:lol :lol :lol i see your point and i think is true too. but the wired thing is coming out of someone who deeply loves her gadgets (ok, but not in love mood. :P but i might change my mind if they started loving me back though :lol :lol :lol )

ParadiseLost

Post by ParadiseLost » Apr 20th, '09, 05:07

hehe i agree with ya Issy. To be honest if I could have like the perfect girlfriend that started to love me i mean it would be tempting to want to develop a relationship with "it" i suppose. In general the ending sucked because i believe riiko should have picked soshi but i know why they chose that ending because it was for the moko fan girls :P

LilyJade

Post by LilyJade » Apr 20th, '09, 09:58

Hi all. :)

I've just finished the SP and I think the end is quite good. The final is in my humble opinion quite perfect. I mean Riiko and Night do understand the difference and make the right decision. Soshi is also very understanding and more handsome.

Personally, I'm like ParadiseLost, please, no boyfriend with a processor...

scherzando

Post by scherzando » Apr 21st, '09, 03:35

I think both the series and SP endings are good, but sometimes I just wished they had done a few scenes further, you know? :P I mean, I wanna see the happy scenes!

I finished watching the series and SP in 2-3 days (just finished the SP less than 12 hours ago haha) and I gotta admit I wasn't expecting a tear-jerker. At first it was LOLOL at Hayami Mokomichi but when I got to the last episode... :cry:

seirin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by seirin » Apr 22nd, '09, 04:32

I think they should have ended it with the drama instead of adding a special. The special just made the female character lame. I felt she loved herself more than she did either Night or Soshi. She thinks she loves Night because he does things that she idealizes. But he's a robot, so she rejects him for someone who is human. Soshi is human so she picked him and not because she truly loved him. He was a replacement for something she couldn't find. A human who matches her idea of a perfect boyfriend. Riko in the drama seems really shallow. Even the robot has more depth than her. I wonder what she would do if Soshi has a disease and only has a few months to live. Would she pick the robot or soshi? :P

ParadiseLost

Post by ParadiseLost » Apr 22nd, '09, 05:13

she would pick the robot...

dalia

Post by dalia » Apr 22nd, '09, 05:33

Zettai Kareshi SP views-
i agree that it should have ended with the drama and added no special. the special dealt too much with the doctor's story, and relegated the main story to nearly a side story. i always found the soshi character boring and devoid of personality, and this showed me nothing to change that view.

now that night came back - riiko realizes they can't be together because she will die and he will continue living loving her which will cause him pain...but wait, didn't she think of this 3 yrs ago when she chose night over soshi then??? why now does it matter all of a sudden? :scratch:

not to mention their goodbye kiss had to be one of the worst onscreen kisses i've ever seen.

for me, this drama ended with episode 11. i'll just ignore the special.

Issy

Post by Issy » Apr 22nd, '09, 09:22

I totally 100% agree with you seirin.
i think this SP was more like a fan service to mokomichi fans. i always wondered if a robot was not mokomichi, would be so much hype about it at all?
i had those confused feeling about SP as soon as it was annouced and as watched the whole thing, i thought it was baaaaad.

basiacally there was no progress or something new to deal with in SP. and everyting went back to like before. the only difference is now we have a worst image of each character in our mind. riiko in being shallow and lame and selfish person who is so undecisive and even can't keep a promise. soshi as a helpless guy who can't even defend his love (if there is something to love in riko) and boring guy that supresses his emoptions and nighto who again feeling worst than before in realising the truth ONCE AGAIN and chosing the same path just like before.
the drama just ended perfectly and all they could do is to leave it alone.
and that end kiss, YES, i think it does make those horrible kissing scenes that i have seen in various japanese dramas look more realistic.

ryan0reed

Post by ryan0reed » Apr 22nd, '09, 10:33

Issy wrote:I totally 100% agree with you seirin.
i think this SP was more like a fan service to mokomichi fans. i always wondered if a robot was not mokomichi, would be so much hype about it at all?
i had those confused feeling about SP as soon as it was annouced and as watched the whole thing, i thought it was baaaaad.

basiacally there was no progress or something new to deal with in SP. and everyting went back to like before. the only difference is now we have a worst image of each character in our mind. riiko in being shallow and lame and selfish person who is so undecisive and even can't keep a promise. soshi as a helpless guy who can't even defend his love (if there is something to love in riko) and boring guy that supresses his emoptions and nighto who again feeling worst than before in realising the truth ONCE AGAIN and chosing the same path just like before.
the drama just ended perfectly and all they could do is to leave it alone.
and that end kiss, YES, i think it does make those horrible kissing scenes that i have seen in various japanese dramas look more realistic.
Yeah, you know japanese with regards to kissing and everything..evening onscreen sweetness is so limited. Nonetheless, I understand their culture for that. The SP is more of a closure to the series. I didn't like the indirect closure between Riiko and Night with the video in the chip; so for me I love SP for that and as with EP11 it caused me to go to tears.. :cry: Sigh. It's a great series and it's the only J-Dorama that made me do that. Whew!
Goodbye Night and Happy ever after to Riiko and Soshi. :cheers:

Oh yes. Soshi's personality is so way below. Where's that fighting for love in that so-called love-triangle?! Giving up? That's it? Oh well.

seirin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by seirin » Apr 23rd, '09, 05:22

I think the rating would have been the same if Mokomichi wasn't in it. There are a lot of ikemen in Japan. I noticed some of the ikemen kamen riders were from Hana Kimi ^^; There's also some of the gokusen boys too.

amrayu
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by amrayu » Apr 23rd, '09, 05:39

I'm not sure if the special was made specifically for Moko fans, but in my opinion, it was made so Riiko can have final closure and say goodbye to Night face-to-face.

I'm a little scared that they might resurrect this series with another special or spin off because we don't actually see Night being scrapped. :| So, I'm hoping this is the end.

Issy

Post by Issy » Apr 23rd, '09, 09:38

amrayu wrote:II'm a little scared that they might resurrect this series with another special or spin off because we don't actually see Night being scrapped. :| So, I'm hoping this is the end.
:O :O :O can this really happen? scary indeed.
well, as i said for me, the story ended with the drama i am ignoring the SP but it would be impossible for me to ignore Hiro if they decided to do a spin off or another SP. most difficult part would be tolerating riko though.

avieamber
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by avieamber » Apr 23rd, '09, 10:23

hi there, wanted to ask whether there will be soft subs for the SP?

kuma601

Post by kuma601 » Apr 24th, '09, 20:17

Who knows...might get re-chipped and be the evil Night coming back to break them up. :crazy : Then we'd see how passionate Soshi is over Riiko. (Visions of Terminator just crossed my mind.) ;)

Kathstandsalone

Post by Kathstandsalone » May 11th, '09, 06:12

Finished watching the SP last night. Hmm, I was wondering why the SP was made. As what amrayu said, I thought it's a final closure for Riiko.

It also has a proper, happier ending so to speak than the drama's finale episode.

I thought it was amusing that Soshi asked Riiko to call him by his first name and yet, he still calls her "Izawa". :roll
The characters pairing is really flat.

Aw, Night was so sweet. "Why am I a robot?" And the last part where he touched his tears.

maybe because he's a robot so he can't kiss back passionately? :blink

As usual, Namikiri is the comedy-relief character here. :wub:

hazelkenro
Location: Mocomichi Hayami,Teppei Koike and Wentz Eiji Paradise

Post by hazelkenro » May 13th, '09, 17:56

This Series Really Cry me Alot
since i was Watched the Whole series and The SP..
The Sp was really sad again
but when it happen to me
i choose Nighto hehehe..
he so perfect to me...
I hope Riiko ANd SOshi Got together in the End
But Nighto dissapear...

I really like Nighto-kun and the Actor who portray as a night0 tenjo
Hayami Mocomichi....

«minah»

Post by «minah» » May 14th, '09, 00:14

Aw man, I feel so late join the conversation. I didn't know the subs came out until I just so happened to go on SARS site and saw "Zettai Kareshi's SP" And was like... WHAT?! How long has this been out!?!? But yeah, my opinion on it:

The series sucked, and the special sucked more. (so why again was I upset that tere was a SP and I didn't know about it? :scratch: ) Anywho, I read other people's comments and agreed that Riiko and Soshi did NOT act like any couple who were engaged. Like, I know it's out there that a woman will still can her husband "Boss," but she can't even say like.... his first name at least? Or even his last name? And I was mad that it was basically just a repeat of the series. I guess they still felt like they could get money out of this story.

But I love how no one talked about the other characters in the SP ^_^UUUUUUU Actually, I think I liked that little story more than the Riiko, Night, and Soshi thing. BUT! I was sooooo mad that they broke in her house, took that chip, and Riiko not like, reporting it to the police. (Honestly speaking, do Japanese policemen help in situations? Only going by dramas, why don't anyone report stuff to the police? Like, really being serious, because I think it's sad that if it is a real problem in Japan) But yeah, I treat the manga and drama differently, and still, I think the manga is better only because the characters are likable, and I like the silliness.

My friend at college said, "How canRiiko be engage, but as soon as she finds out Night is awaken, she's all like "Oh Night!" Wasn't Riiko asked about how she felt about Night and said "I don't know..." she's still engaged >_< Does that mean anything? I think this was a not so good romance from the start, in every direction.

And yeah.... kissing scene.. oh geez.... I had to rewind to see if she actually touched his lips... maybe in reality she doesn't like Mokomichi....?

Sorry, I guess this is more of a rant.... and please excuse some words that have missing "i"'s... my I button is being stupid.

Phillykat

Post by Phillykat » May 14th, '09, 01:51

Personally, the SP really angered me. I was so pissed. It was worthless. They made Soshi totally pathetic in accepting 2nd place. I don't care if Night is a robot or what, who just says "ok" and steps aside? Whoever wrote it also made Riiko less endearing.

I hated the end. Why the hell did they wake him in the first place? I liked the way it ended before. If they weren't going to reprogram him so he wasn't just a "love doll," which is essentially what he was, so he could get over Riko then it was a waste. Granted, like someone said, we don't see Namakiri actually destroy his chip. Bringing Night back doesn't scare me. Bringing Night back and still inlove with Riiko, is scary!

mittens

Post by mittens » Sep 1st, '09, 14:13

my comment is way too delayed but I just finished watching the SP. I first watched the drama earlier this year but despite the negative comments said about the SP, I still think it was great. I really cried a lot especially at the end.. =)

Ender's Girl

Post by Ender's Girl » Nov 9th, '09, 23:40

My thoughts on Zettai Kareshi:

http://endersgirrrl.wordpress.com/2009/ ... i-tv-2008/

:alcoholic: :alcoholic: :alcoholic
Last edited by Ender's Girl on Nov 14th, '09, 10:01, edited 2 times in total.

Ayulyn

Post by Ayulyn » Nov 12th, '09, 22:44

The beginning of this drama was really slow imo, but I fell in love toward the end. :D

NovatoJudoka

Post by NovatoJudoka » Sep 4th, '11, 17:17

Could anyone help me find somewhere I could download raw episodes of Zettai Kareshi, Absolute Boyfriend? I can't find them anywhere.