U.S. Remake for DEATH NOTE

Talk about the culture and entertainment from Nihon.
lomsie

Post by lomsie » Jun 13th, '08, 02:13

nikochanr3 wrote:
lomsie wrote:
i love the little insulated world people live in sometimes. MOST people dont watch the same stuff we do. its not made exclusively for us. the owners of the material are free to ship it wherever they like. they could make 7,000 crappy death note remakes and ill still love the original material. who cares?
Seconded.
i dont love the movie, i was making a general point. i love the manga. it hought the movie was ok, but definitely didnt do the manga justice. it was ok because the source material was great.
Check what I quoted, then check the bold, underlined word. I was agreeing with you

Archaenon

Post by Archaenon » Jun 13th, '08, 02:50

gakirin wrote:
Puppet Princess wrote:
Zealousy wrote:... I hate it when people are against American things, to me, it makes the look like a weeaboo. Japan copies alot of **** from America anyways.
Perhaps but my logic is, why redo something that's good the way it is?
I also hate American remakes of American movies. Sure most young people are culturally retarded and wont watch anything older than 5 years because that's just ancient.

But I have seen the original of a lot of these remakes.
The original Ocean's Eleven with the rat pack. Brilliant (and only one movie not three >_<) and the remake ruined the bittersweet irony of the whole thing. Sure they win in both version but my favorite scene in the original was the last part in the funeral home where they all watch the coffin full of money burn and laugh.

The Italian Job... has nothing to do with the original because it's not exactly a remake... but more like a sequel decades later.

Though I admit, I hated both versions of Cheaper By the Dozen and Your's Mine and Ours. So, though they tried to improve those... they didn't really.

Battlestar Galactica
The Incredible Hulk coming out this year
Dirty Rotten Scoundrels.

And while we're on the topic of arguing whether or not america takes good movies and remakes them badly:

Infernal Affairs/The Departed

Ok so, both cultures steal from each other. We have japanophiles. You have "gangstas" wearing bling.

Why don't you all stop being prejudiced, sit down, and see that both parties are guilty of robbing the other of it's cultural practices for their own benefit.

But what you are failing to recognize is that this a good thing. We are both looking at one another's products and appreciating them, wanting to adapt them into our own world.

Now stop whining and appreciate how wonderful that is.
^ Most thought out comment in this entire thread.

Deathnote is pretty awful to begin with. Who knows , it might be better.

Not all Hollywood remakes are bad , the remake of P.S I love you was pretty good imo.
Some people here are just anti-american for whatever reason. Bandwagon theme comes to mind. People follow the majority without giving anything a chance. Talking about flying in the face of be open-minded.

How about remaking "My boss , my hero" from the Korean version. Both were really good , but no one is ragging on the Japanese about remaking an already awesome Korean movie.

nikochanr3

Post by nikochanr3 » Jun 13th, '08, 13:15

lomsie wrote:
nikochanr3 wrote:
lomsie wrote:
Seconded.
i dont love the movie, i was making a general point. i love the manga. it hought the movie was ok, but definitely didnt do the manga justice. it was ok because the source material was great.
Check what I quoted, then check the bold, underlined word. I was agreeing with you
sorry! :salut:

Akahige50

Post by Akahige50 » Jun 15th, '08, 09:49

Archaenon wrote:
gakirin wrote:
Puppet Princess wrote:
Perhaps but my logic is, why redo something that's good the way it is?
I also hate American remakes of American movies. Sure most young people are culturally retarded and wont watch anything older than 5 years because that's just ancient.

But I have seen the original of a lot of these remakes.
The original Ocean's Eleven with the rat pack. Brilliant (and only one movie not three >_<) and the remake ruined the bittersweet irony of the whole thing. Sure they win in both version but my favorite scene in the original was the last part in the funeral home where they all watch the coffin full of money burn and laugh.

The Italian Job... has nothing to do with the original because it's not exactly a remake... but more like a sequel decades later.

Though I admit, I hated both versions of Cheaper By the Dozen and Your's Mine and Ours. So, though they tried to improve those... they didn't really.

Battlestar Galactica
The Incredible Hulk coming out this year
Dirty Rotten Scoundrels.

And while we're on the topic of arguing whether or not america takes good movies and remakes them badly:

Infernal Affairs/The Departed

Ok so, both cultures steal from each other. We have japanophiles. You have "gangstas" wearing bling.

Why don't you all stop being prejudiced, sit down, and see that both parties are guilty of robbing the other of it's cultural practices for their own benefit.

But what you are failing to recognize is that this a good thing. We are both looking at one another's products and appreciating them, wanting to adapt them into our own world.

Now stop whining and appreciate how wonderful that is.
^ Most thought out comment in this entire thread.
Most thought out post? No. I don't think that a post that tells me how I am supposed to feel about remakes is thought out at all. I have the right to not like something. I don't have to fall in line and praise something I don't like. This isn't communism or fascism, is it? And fact is: I don't like remakes (99% of the remakes are garbage). I don't like Hollywood. BSG is not "Hollywood", it's a TV production. And for one BSG you get 100 things like Supernatural or Heroes (none of which actually amazed me, I actually boycotted Heroes after hearing of Ms Panettiere's stupidity and attention-whore-ness (the stunt she pulled in Japan with those dolphins was just dumb), not that the series was great to begin with). I think it's even worse. For one SG-1 you get 1000 pieces of crap. Then again, things like SG-1 or BSG aren't just "American" productions. RDA is not US American. Neither is Bamber in BSG. So it stays somewhat international (at least when it comes down to the cast).

Hollywood was great once. Today it's all silicon and CGI and that simply doesn't do it for me. The giants are all dead or really old. No Orlando Bloom, no Leonardo DiCaprio will ever be able to even remotely beat Jimmy Stewart or Charlton Heston. Never. Those were giants. Then again, different times. I mean, take Jimmy Stewart. That guy flew B-17s over Germany in the war. That takes balls. No modern actor would dare something even remotely like that. Or take the women. Today it's "hold your boobs into the camera", that's hardly amazing. None of those "girls" from these days can compare with The Dietrich, as an example. A movie like Ben Hur... impossible today. Tora Tora Tora... well, we all saw how that was done (horrible Pearl Harbor). Those giants that are still left will die eventually... Eastwood's soon 80, for example.

Frankly, I can't think of any Hollywood remake that really amazed me. Gladiator (there was a movie with the same plot in the 60s)? Flight of the Phoenix? No, not really. Godzilla? Please... Don't. Even. Mention. That. Or I'm really forced to kill you. I hate that piece. I can't even call it a movie. It was horrible. And before you bring it up, I don't care about Hulk movies or others. Marvel et al became somewhat popular (not really) where I live only due to the X-Men movies. I don't care about those, I don't think they're even remotely interesting. Lot's of FX, hardly any visible plot. Sorry, I don't want that and I won't pay for anything like that. Period. 'Sides, the only superhero I ever liked was Batman, simply because he didn't have any of those strange super powers (and yes, I like the new Batman, he's dark and kicks butt, I like that)

Or maybe we should go into movies like... Last Samurai and Memories of a Geisha, which both display how incredibly stupid and arrogant Hollywood can be?

I've heard of a US remake of Battle Royale, and it scares me already. It will be bad, really bad. Then again, Quentin Tarantino once said how much he loved Battle Royale and how great it is. The guy obviously never read the book or listened to the dialogues in the movie (no surprise, lousy actor, lousy director, what do you expect). A US remake will be dumb action and nothing else. No thank you. If this is real, I won't even bother getting within a 10 mile radius of it. Why should I? Why should I bother with a lame knockoff when I have the original? Plus... the remake won't have Shibasaki, Kuriyama and Maeda, so why bother? I don't care for the typical Hollywood starlet. I think they suck, sometimes even literally (how else would some of them get the parts they play, ever heard of "casting couch"?) Give me Shibasaki Kou, Nakama Yukie or Kuroki Hitomi over all those Hollywood "chicks" any day.

As for series... where I live, 90% of the TV series are American crap (sorry, but most of them are pure and utter garbage, stuff like... Heroes, Supernatural, 24 (which bored me to death after season 1)). 9.9% are productions by our own stations (which suck just as bad) But luckily... there's one tv station here that's showing... The Doctor! Yes, Doctor Who. Now, that's one hell of a series and one hell of a franchise. Just... amazing. I dropped Star Trek and Stargate for Who. Doctor Who... they have real actors in it. Who'd have thought!

Na, they can make their unoriginal remakes, I just won't watch them. Why should I? I don't think they're interesting. Why waste time on them? If you want to do that, fine, so be it. I don't care. But don't tell me I have to like them. I make that decision for myself, thank you. Just because you like it doesn't mean I have to like it as well. This is still a free society where I can make my own decision over what I like and what I don't. Luckily there's no state enforcing certain opinions with the Tokko or Kempeitai.

Then again... I rarely go to the movies and when I go, chances that it's a Hollywood movie are next to zero (except maybe the new Batman or something that sounds REALLY interesting).

And no, I'm also not too fond of Japanese remakes of Japanese movies. What's with the Kurosawa revival? Everyone seems to remake his movies, no matter how futile that is. Hidden Fortress? Sanjuro? Oh please, no one can replace or beat Mifune! What's next? Seven Samurai? I fear already.

Puppet Princess

Post by Puppet Princess » Jun 15th, '08, 10:14

^ Would it be too hilarious to remind people that like the entire BSG cast is Canadian? lol

The problem with hollywood these days is they don't think through their stories. The only thing they think about is how they can create sequels and make another season after the last one so the can make more money. Most shows these days have great first seasons. But they are stories that should only have one season. 24 was a great concept and brilliantly executed... until they started the next story season. Lost was awesome.... until you realize that the writers don't know any of the answers you are hoping they will give you. Why? They never think of the end because that means they have to plan to stop their cash cow. This of course is ironic because not planning the end just insures that it will end. Usually with no one being happy.

karennxa

Post by karennxa » Jun 15th, '08, 10:35

oh god >_> i don't even want to see that happen.
it's not like i have anything against america since i live here. but one thing i know is that
whenever there's a remake of an asian movie, it always fails horirbly.
i.e. the eye.

i really hope they don't make it. it's kind of like when another country tries to make money by remkaing a different countries movie. it almost always fails. and i don't really want to see a bunch of stupid teens walking around everywhere after the movie airs turning into weeaboos.

lomsie

Post by lomsie » Jun 15th, '08, 17:45

Damn, why doesn't everyone stop bitching and reserve judgment until after the movie comes out? There are plenty of movies I thought I would despise, but actually liked after I saw it. Conversely, there are movies I was really excited about, but fell way below my expectations.

It could be good, or it could bomb and we'd have a crap load of otaku-weeaboos walking around (but how different is that to the way things are now.....haha....?

minamichan03

Post by minamichan03 » Jun 17th, '08, 15:04

well....
i already liked the japanese version of this... though we wouldn't know how the US will re-make this... the japanese version both 1 & 2 were already enough for me... :-)

like the movie,the ring... for me,the original movie (japanese version) was a lot better than the remake... and there were also other movies/drama that was remaked not only in US,but i still love the origina, the japanese version...
well,it depends on us viewers which of the version we like...
let's just respect each others thoughts.... :D

garnet07

Post by garnet07 » Jun 17th, '08, 18:32

Just watch the anime, or for that matter read the manga. The movies were ok except that they added some unnecessary stuff, and deleted crucial moments on the manga. The actors , especially L was perfect so no one can top him. As for Kira, I thought hecould have done a better job. No offense to the actor (forgetting his name), but he just didn't have the malice that Kira supposed to have, but he was still pretty good from Battle Royale.

Therefore, if America does do a remake of Death Note, it better follow the story well and pick actors that match their counterparts or else it would just be a dud. And true, they better not focus on sex, drugs and rock n roll :whistling: (well there might be rock n roll for the bg music , but u know what I mean)

Sorry for being off topic:
Another remake to mention is The Eye. I haven't watched the American version yet, but only the Chinese version. I really loved the Chinese version so I wanted to know if you've seen the American version with Jessica Alba, how was it? My cousin told me they changed so many stuff and of course added more sex scenes which was implied only (not directly) in the Chinese version.

PhilsterT

Post by PhilsterT » Jun 17th, '08, 23:02

There, in my opinion, is nothing wrong with remaking something. Mainly because, an American version of a show has more appeal to an American audience, then it's original verison (not always).

Source material is left open for interpretation, take Romeo & Juliet:

American Version: West Side Story
Japanese Version: Go

Both won academys and are phonominal movies, and despite slight changes in story, and/or characters, they are both amazingly profound films.

Who cares if America remakes Death Note; if you are anti-American, don't watch it.

And what's with this: 90% of American television is utter ****. Well, uh, that goes for almost any country. I've seen some horrible Japanese dramas before, as well as American shows. Bad shows are not unique to the US.

Egg-chan

Post by Egg-chan » Jun 17th, '08, 23:17

PhilsterT wrote:And what's with this: 90% of American television is utter ****. Well, uh, that goes for almost any country. I've seen some horrible Japanese dramas before, as well as American shows. Bad shows are not unique to the US.
I think the problem is that 90% of American television is "reality shows" now... blech...

GomiMomi

Post by GomiMomi » Jun 17th, '08, 23:23

:-)
Last edited by GomiMomi on Mar 11th, '10, 19:41, edited 1 time in total.

mizune
Geinou Fansubber
Geinou Fansubber

Post by mizune » Jun 18th, '08, 05:31

I've been keeping quiet, but this is just the song that doesn't end... :roll

Let me try this on ppl (I'm sure it won't do any good, but what the heck):

Ppl complain that Jdramas don't have originality anymore. They're just turning manga/anime or novels onto the small screen instead of making original screenplays like they used to. Some are adaptions widely praised by fans, and others are widely panned efforts. It's honestly a very mixed bag in terms of actual quality, but the fans still watch, they still pull in the ratings, and TV stations end up doing even more adaptions (of widely varying quality).

JMovies too... Instead of original material, a lot of big screen blockbuster films are built off a previously existing fanbase: manga/anime, novels, and even JDramas (which are usually based off manga/anime again -- it's like a snake eating it's own tail :lol). How good are they? Ehhh...They can vary pretty widely too. There are great ones and there are very meh ones.

I guess I just can't see why ppl have such intense feelings one way or another about this...
In truth, it all boils down to the side effects of being a remake -- a reinterpretation of a story already in existence. Ppl's reactions to any remake will be biased by how familiar and attached they are to the previous incarnation.
If you ask me, tagging this as an American or Hollywood phenomenon is just a red herring. :roll

In the end, the original creators are still getting paid and they're getting further promotion/access to a larger audience. If the audiences don't like it, they can blame it on the adaption. They really don't lose much. Source material is source material.

meh....

nikochanr3

Post by nikochanr3 » Jun 18th, '08, 12:25

garnet07 wrote:Just watch the anime, or for that matter read the manga. The movies were ok except that they added some unnecessary stuff, and deleted crucial moments on the manga. The actors , especially L was perfect so no one can top him. As for Kira, I thought hecould have done a better job. No offense to the actor (forgetting his name), but he just didn't have the malice that Kira supposed to have, but he was still pretty good from Battle Royale.

Therefore, if America does do a remake of Death Note, it better follow the story well and pick actors that match their counterparts or else it would just be a dud. And true, they better not focus on sex, drugs and rock n roll :whistling: (well there might be rock n roll for the bg music , but u know what I mean)

Sorry for being off topic:
Another remake to mention is The Eye. I haven't watched the American version yet, but only the Chinese version. I really loved the Chinese version so I wanted to know if you've seen the American version with Jessica Alba, how was it? My cousin told me they changed so many stuff and of course added more sex scenes which was implied only (not directly) in the Chinese version.
i think THE EYE is a decent horror movie (the american) if you are just looking for a fun popcornish movie. if you are loking for something great, NO. If you really love the original, and are looking for a scene by scene remake or something as good, NO NO NO.

i think jessica alba is a problem. its not i dont like her (i think shes gorgeous and i like her) but she is too nice looking, she totally take you out of any belief that something bad is going on.

so the american EYE is decent, but nowhere at all near the original and if thats what you are looking for, its not even worh the watch.

XxYamaPiLoverxX

Post by XxYamaPiLoverxX » Jun 24th, '08, 22:00

major bomb here
sorry if you already know this(i didnt read the previous posts)
but just wanted yous to know about the casting for the role of Yagami Light
it rumoured that the scripwriters want ...
dun dun doon!! they want Zac Efron to play the part!!!!!!! :crazy: (soz to zac efron fans!)
and this rumour has a high chance also !!!!!

could things get worse ......*sigh* zac...efron.... why....... :cry:

Karate-ka

Post by Karate-ka » Jun 24th, '08, 22:22

XxYamaPiLoverxX wrote:major bomb here
dun dun doon!! they want Zac Efron to play the part!!!!!!! :crazy: (soz to zac efron fans!)

If he is the one then the movie is nominated to fail for sure..

XxYamaPiLoverxX

Post by XxYamaPiLoverxX » Jun 24th, '08, 22:30

Karate-ka wrote:

.....agress......zac efron!? thats just ridiculous
i mean whats he guna do ....sing them to death!? :scratch:

littledraci

Post by littledraci » Jun 24th, '08, 22:42

one some pics he looked like Lighto...but his acting...can't really convince me....

............let it be........just let it be, peoplz @-@........

Elien

Post by Elien » Jun 24th, '08, 22:57

Zac Efron? Thats the guy from High school musical? Oh God, save our souls @_@ If it´s true, and I´m praying that´s not, then this is going to be a terribly big failure... This sweet guy can never possibly portrait Light, and I won´t mention that he can´t be even 1/100 good as Fujiwara Tatsuya was...

ryuk0007

Post by ryuk0007 » Jun 25th, '08, 00:29

this just screams disaster!

gamblewithd3sire

Post by gamblewithd3sire » Jun 25th, '08, 14:37

NOOOOO
i mean, i'm all for it. but nothing beats the original.

Lycoris

Post by Lycoris » Jul 3rd, '08, 14:46

Seriously, when I first saw this thread I was like "WTF??!" I thought this was a joke. I mean, Death Note is AWESOME, but it also has a really niche audience (i.e: only fans of the anime + manga). And it isn't exactly the typical Japanese horror film that the U.S usually imports either. It's really low on action/gore etc. which is usually what appeals most to audiences on this side of the world. I know this sounds horribly stereotypical, but I don't know many Americans who watch movies to listen to some smartass teenager slowly explain his mastermind plans for conquering the world while writing in a notebook.

So, based on those assumptions I would say that this movie adaptation is going to be adjusted to the "more action/killing/blood/gore" and less "slowly dissecting intricate strategies". And I truly, truly hope that I'm not right- because if I am, I will be majorly pissed.

There's also the issue of names. Sure, "Light" sounds okay in the Japanese version, and for most weathered Anime fans that are used to the Japanese coming up with random English words as names, its pretty acceptable. But I'm pretty sure this will have to be changed for American audiences. Not that I consider this a problem- Light, even in the original version, is supposed to appear as a studious, well-behaved, bright young man, so giving him an ordinary name will just help perfect the illusion. Actually, I'm sure everyone's names (save for L's, perhaps) will be changed so the story appears to be occuring in "America", because God forbid anything exciting be taking place in any other place in the world lest we find it hard to relate to them and thus fail to take an interest in the movie. (the same principle applies for almost every movie around the world of course, so I can't really complain).

I wonder what "Kira" will be transliterated to though- "Killer" might work, although I think that name somewhat lacks the impact of "Kira" (that's just me of course- I realize the two are practically one and the same).

There is of course, bright sides to this. If this movie proves successful (whether it is a butchered action/gore version or, preferably, a version that is relatively faithful to the original Japanese plot) it may be able to expose Death Note media in other mediums (anime, manga, novel etc.) and ultimately even anime to mainstream audiences. Of course, that's all quite a stretch, but its possible.

I don't really know what to expect from the adaptation. Hopefully I'll go see it when its released, just for the heck of it, but if I do I won't be setting any expectations. This could be great, or this could be horrible. Or it could be somewhat in between. Now that I've gotten past the "WTF?!" factor of this news, I realize that this is just another Japanese imported movie that's going to be adapted for American audiences. Nothing to be that excited about, I suppose.

[EDIT] Okay, maybe I haven't gotten past the WTF factor yet, because apparently there's more to come? Zac Efron=/=Light! If he is cast and he can actually pull the role off, I will respect him 1000x more then I do now. But considering his current reputation for starring in Disney musicals... er... well, let's hope for the best. It could be worse, I suppose (it could, but I just can't think of how.)

melonyhappy

Post by melonyhappy » Jul 3rd, '08, 15:20

XxYamaPiLoverxX wrote:
Karate-ka wrote:

ROFL that comment made my day :lol
ugh.. not too sure about his acting ability... didn't really watch HSM (skimmed the whole thing)... I know the original actor for Light was awesome... it's going to be hard to beat him.

counterfeitdreamer

Post by counterfeitdreamer » Jul 3rd, '08, 15:28

sarara wrote:I hate americans because they always copy, their really have anything own
Ditto! Thanks for saying it for me.

Hyrrokkin

Post by Hyrrokkin » Jul 3rd, '08, 16:03

This is why I hate America. Seriously, they must always rape everything for every single penny and preferrably more. >_<,

greenjade05

Post by greenjade05 » Jul 4th, '08, 17:46

Okay, what's with all this haterade? I'm sorry if I come off as mean for saying this, but those who are talking about how they hate a whole entire country because of a fandom sound extremely silly and terribly ignorant.

Putting aside the fact that I am an American, I don't think it's entirely bad to have remakes. You defintely can't say that there isn't a country that doesn't copy from another country in some way, shape, or form. People copy all the time and when they find an idea interesting they try to emulate or use it in a way that others would understand.

Having a remake of "Death Note" isn't a bad thing. I mean look outside your bubble and see that there could be people who never thought about or had a dislike for Japanese things, but then see the movie, and possibly catch wind that "Death Note" came from Japan and possibly get into the fandom.

I'm into Japanese things inckuding cinema, but have never heard of 'Ju-On' because I'm not into horror (from any country). I took a chance on seeing "The Grudge" when I was with some acquaintances. Didn't think the movie was great, but it left me curious about the story and how it came about. that led me to learn about "Ju-On."

I'm not here to bash, but felt that some here were just being downright unreasonable about this news.

Karate-ka

Post by Karate-ka » Jul 4th, '08, 17:55

XxYamaPiLoverxX wrote:
Karate-ka wrote:

Oh ahahaha dont let me laugh like that again.

indyana

Post by indyana » Jul 6th, '08, 19:01

Hmm, I've been offline for a bit, and I just spotted this. O_o ... My first impulse is the pray that the project gets nixed. I can't imagine it being better than the original movies, and I definitely can't imagine it doing the manga any justice. I really don't see any point in making it. Hollywood, of course, may differ in this opinion, as they like to remake anything filmed over ten years ago or filmed in a foreign language.

If worse comes to worst and it does get made, I will feel compelled to see it. Hey, maybe we'll luck out, and it won't be completely terrible. For example, I actually like all the Ocean Eleven movies, old and new. I just try not to compare them to one another, and everything is all right. *shifty look*

But yeah... no high expectations here. -_-

gamblewithd3sire

Post by gamblewithd3sire » Jul 7th, '08, 16:17

OH MY GOD, please don't pick Zac Efron!!!! PLEASE!

emrams

Post by emrams » Jul 8th, '08, 00:40

I wouldn't watch a remake of any of the Death Note Series most likely. I like the originals. Maybe if they casted really well, not Zac Efron (which hopefully isn't true), then I would pehaps reconsider it.

Maybe something some people may not know about:

L: Change the World is having it's Canadian Premiere in Montreal this weekend July 12th at the FantAsia Film Festival.

http://www.fantasiafest.com/2008/en/fil ... .php?id=22

For any Montreal, and/or Canadian fans in the area, of the Death Note movies and the new L movie, perhaps they would be up for this... I don't know if anyone has mentioned it before, but I wish I didn't already have plans this weekend so I could go and see it on the big(ger) screen. :-(

Tenken

Post by Tenken » Jul 11th, '08, 20:52

Is this a rumor ?? :unsure:

In the Japanese version, Light is not as handsome as I thought (and didn't act as well as I hoped) :-(

Japan didn't do a good job on special effects.
If there is no remake, chances are 95% of the world will never hear of the original, thus have no chance of checking it out even if they want to
Yea, America would do advertising job for DN, too.

I'm glad they altered the way L died and hope Hollywood will do the same

Bottom line:

I'm curious to see how it will turn out (I'm a big fan of DN).

but :

They *must* let Kenichi Matsuyama play L again, or don't ever expect glowing comments from me! :x

PS: I'm aware that Kenichi doesn't speak English well, but it's his acting we want: for the voice, they can always get another voice actor.
Last edited by Tenken on Jul 11th, '08, 21:28, edited 1 time in total.

Tenken

Post by Tenken » Jul 11th, '08, 21:24

There's also the issue of names. Sure, "Light" sounds okay in the Japanese version, and for most weathered Anime fans that are used to the Japanese coming up with random English words as names, its pretty acceptable. But I'm pretty sure this will have to be changed for American audiences.

Actually, I'm sure everyone's names (save for L's, perhaps) will be changed so the story appears to be occuring in "America", because God forbid anything exciting be taking place in any other place in the world lest we find it hard to relate to them and thus fail to take an interest in the movie. (the same principle applies for almost every movie around the world of course, so I can't really complain).
If they can't use "Light" , say "Laito" !!!

DON'T CHANGE ANY NAME, man !!!

Cast Zac Efron - a High school musical singer - as Light Yagami (blast heavens!!!) : that guy got the looks (though not as handsome as I hope), but how about his ACTING ???!!!!!

Tenken

Post by Tenken » Jul 23rd, '08, 17:22

One million strong for MatsuKen as L in "Death Note" Hollywood remake!

http://www.petitiononline.com/L1985/petition.html

Please lend me your signature !

:cheers:

lomsie

Post by lomsie » Jul 29th, '08, 02:54

I really don't see what all the rage is about. Who the f*ck cares if Zach Efron is cast as Light? All anyone has seen him in is High School Musical, you have no idea what else he can do. Disney has a monopoly on these kids' careers, if he can break out, more power to him. So why doesn't everyone reserve judgment until the movie is actually made and out in theaters? Poor boy doesn't know what crazed fans he's up against. My prayers are with him.

Besides, who ever knew "Harry Potter" would get up on stage and show his naked bits to all of London? There were loads of Harry Potter fans who said it was the worst thing Daniel R. could have done. ...Apparently not. Now everyone is touting him as the next messiah in film and theater.

As for the point that America always copies and never comes up with anything on it's own, well the film and TV industry in America isn't the only one to do so. China, Singapore, Taiwan, Korea, and others always do remakes of Japanese dramas/manga, and Japan does the same. "Maou" anyone?

Perhaps this will get others interested in Japanese culture, manga, anime, drama or what have you. Perhaps they will go to theaters and see this movie, and want to know more. What's wrong with that?

Damn, this is all a bunch of Death Note fanboys and girls who have gotten seriously possessive about this manga/anime. Maybe this movie will bomb, and then you can all shout like little kids and say "I told you so". Then the rest of the world will go on with life and totally forget about anything called "Death Note". Such is life.

My personal opinion, the Japanese Death Note movie sucked royally, so why not let someone have another go at it.

spokeydokey00

Post by spokeydokey00 » Jul 29th, '08, 03:29

i live in america and the only "successful" remake was "The Ring." The market for horror or thriller type movies here is small. People who may think that the effects will be vastly better, don't jump out of your seats yet. Given the fact that most horror or thriller type movies have budgets of under $15 million, I doubt a huge portion of that will go to the effects alone. While the effects may be slightly better than the Japanese version don't expect Lord of the Rings type effects.

Let's say a horror/thriller movie has a budget of $15 million and grosses $20 million, then the studios are happy. These horror/thriller movies don't have the expectations of a Batman, Superman, Spiderman, Pirates of the Carribean, Shrek type movies so I believe with lower expectations, the quality of the movie suffers.

But then again who knows. Tons of graphic novel and comic book movies are being made and watched now. I love the Death Note anime and movies. If this movie gets a decent buget (something around or more than $50 million) and a director who appreciates the original story, it could be watchable.

oturanx

Post by oturanx » Jul 30th, '08, 04:48

I wonder who is going to play L and Light. :blink

katzenjammin'

Post by katzenjammin' » Aug 1st, '08, 14:20

Tenken wrote:One million strong for MatsuKen as L in "Death Note" Hollywood remake! [...] <link>
Are you serious? You guys know that totally MAKES NO SENSE. There's a little something called localization... Hollywood isn't about appealing to silly niche fangirls.
lomsie wrote:I really don't see what all the rage is about. Who the f*ck cares if Zach Efron is cast as Light? All anyone has seen him in is High School Musical, you have no idea what else he can do. Disney has a monopoly on these kids' careers, if he can break out, more power to him. So why doesn't everyone reserve judgment until the movie is actually made and out in theaters? Poor boy doesn't know what crazed fans he's up against. My prayers are with him.

Besides, who ever knew "Harry Potter" would get up on stage and show his naked bits to all of London? There were loads of Harry Potter fans who said it was the worst thing Daniel R. could have done. ...Apparently not. Now everyone is touting him as the next messiah in film and theater.

As for the point that America always copies and never comes up with anything on it's own, well the film and TV industry in America isn't the only one to do so. China, Singapore, Taiwan, Korea, and others always do remakes of Japanese dramas/manga, and Japan does the same. "Maou" anyone?

Perhaps this will get others interested in Japanese culture, manga, anime, drama or what have you. Perhaps they will go to theaters and see this movie, and want to know more. What's wrong with that?

Damn, this is all a bunch of Death Note fanboys and girls who have gotten seriously possessive about this manga/anime. Maybe this movie will bomb, and then you can all shout like little kids and say "I told you so". Then the rest of the world will go on with life and totally forget about anything called "Death Note". Such is life.

My personal opinion, the Japanese Death Note movie sucked royally, so why not let someone have another go at it.
I agree with everything you said. People need to grow up and get real. : /

Karate-ka

Post by Karate-ka » Aug 6th, '08, 11:23

lomsie wrote:
There is a is difference, the point is those drama's are kept in asia and are not shown outside those country's except if your counting the internet with it...

Yes Japanese does copies music but again ist for theire own not for the world...

This whole remake thing, made it looks that hollywood is brainwashing the world...

LIke i said before people until now still thinks movies like, RING,GRUDGE,ONE MISSED CALL and THE EYE. Are originated from America.

And sometimes even i got the feeling that some people thinks that the Japanese is Making theire own remake of POWER RANGER while its obvious its the other way around.

Charismaho

Post by Charismaho » Aug 18th, '08, 16:36

As always, a US remake will always be bad. We've seen it all with their j-horror remakes. Well... that's my opinion.

tsurashi313

Post by tsurashi313 » Aug 18th, '08, 16:47

People should stop hating on Hollywood because EVERYONE does remakes. How about Hana Yori Dango being remade as a Korean drama? I don't see anyone bashing on that but rather the opposite. If Hollywood/America were planning on that people would start bashing. Some of you guys don't know half the things that goes on in the Asian countries and think they are always so original. And again I'm all in for this remake. :)

aokami

Post by aokami » Aug 19th, '08, 01:02

Imagine how profitable it must be to be able to sell the rights for something the studio feels was already done the right way to be remade at the us company's expense, moreso if the rights would be sold on a value of assumed profit. For a decently performing j-horror flick it would be assumed the addition of Jessica Alba or Buffy would make it the next Ring, right? Meanwhile the japanese studios are laughing all the way to the bank and funding more productions that can be made right the first time then sold out to the US after the license has run it's course. Until Hollywood catches on and encourages the public to appreciate quality domestic writing I encourage Japan to take as much money as possible in exchange.

nikkibell84

Post by nikkibell84 » Aug 19th, '08, 01:51

I think the reason some people are wary of an American remake is because American movie studios tend to turn Asian horror movies that are more psychological thriller than violent/sexual rampage into teenage sex and violence.

I'm reminded of A Tale of Two Sisters, a Korean film that was remade by America; what was once a scary thriller became some teen horror flick that started with a bonfire and one of the girls thinking about having sex with some guy.

Honestly, I think American studios have real issues when it comes to remakes - they keep remaking movies, turning them into mere shells of their former selves.

As for Death Note being remade. . . I think it will have to be written and casted well. I'd hate for L to become some weirdo, Light to become an outcast who listens to emo songs, and Misa to become some blond airhead; let the characters keep some of their depth.

hellokuromi

Post by hellokuromi » Aug 27th, '08, 00:08

They will probaly make this and give little credit to the Japanese Movie, they will also change the movie A LOT. It might just look a bit nicer then the Japanese because they have the budget. Its most likley gonna suck, i'll still probaly check it out so I can compare.

echizenruth

Post by echizenruth » Aug 27th, '08, 00:13

arereree

mata remake kah???
hunnn well let wait and see

krcbr600rr

Post by krcbr600rr » Sep 1st, '08, 01:07

Hmmm... I betcha it's gonna just go straight to DVD...:lol take "My Sassy Girl" as a current prime example of this... Perhaps one day the American movie industry will take chances on putting out original movies. I guess if they did that all of the "adored / idolized" American movie stars wouldn't audition for fear of failure :O ... so we are stuck in a "circle-jerk" of remakes from where ever it comes from :blink Oh well :P

sp1dergirl

Post by sp1dergirl » Sep 3rd, '08, 03:23

sarara wrote:I hate americans because they always copy, their really have anything own
What are you talking about? Americans are the biggest film makers in the world.

infundibuliform

Post by infundibuliform » Nov 12th, '08, 05:46

Above all, Death Note is a manga and anime, something that has a huge fanbase in the US. My friends, who are fans of Death Note, did not 100% like the movies because of nitpicky things like character descriptions gone wrong. The target audience is not dorama fans, it is the fans of the manga and anime Death Note, who I believe will support an American remake like they support an English dub.

-YiJern-

Post by -YiJern- » Dec 21st, '08, 14:52

I don't understand why must they remake it...
I never like remakes....for movies at least...
I don't really care who copies who but I just don't like remakes..
Something original would be WAAAYYYY better.

es-chan

Post by es-chan » Dec 31st, '08, 04:33

I don't like when people make bad versions of anime or manga that I like so I worry about things like Ghost in the Shell. In this case the Japanese already made a movie that was mediocre at best so I don't really care. The manga was good but if people are comparing this to the movies then there isn't much to live up to. The Japanese movie version looked and felt like a cheap American tv drama. They were way off with Kira and the CGI made me feel like I might as well just watch the anime.

Also I don't understand all this talk about horror movies. That was not horror. It was a mystery movie or at the most a light weight thriller.

Duke

Post by Duke » Dec 31st, '08, 15:51

infundibuliform wrote:
Above all, Death Note is a manga and anime, something that has a huge fanbase in the US. My friends, who are fans of Death Note, did not 100% like the movies because of nitpicky things like character descriptions gone wrong. The target audience is not dorama fans, it is the fans of the manga and anime Death Note, who I believe will support an American remake like they support an English dub.
I liked the movies, not as much as manga and anime, but the thing that bothered me the most is that the movies were dubbed. I saw the movies in a movie theatre so I had no choice of choosing Japanese audio.

Moreover, Death Note is sometimes really funny, and most of the humour is lost with the dub. However, I would want to see what would people say when they see Ryuk and Rem. :D

Ochibi-san

Post by Ochibi-san » Jan 7th, '09, 18:03

i think i saw the remake :o is that possible?
the movie was called devils diary and it was a diary where you could write names in and how they would die. if you did well then it happened and you had to give your soul to satan so i guess it's a lot like death note...

such a shame that they can't come up with something on their own...

br4nd0n

Post by br4nd0n » Jan 7th, '09, 20:19

Hollywood only copies things that has the potential to make them more money. (because of its success)
Anime and manga get movies in Japan (and tv series) and it's popular here, so of course an American version would be made by Hollywood.
people hate when they remake old classics, heck ever heard of My Fair Lady? Guess what they are remaking it.
Before you say there is nothing from Americans that is original please check out the past and search the roots of THE INTERNET.
There are a lot of good movies from Japan, and the US, and China, and Bollywood, and France, etc. so singling out a whole country is plain lunacy. I might add that Hollywood is just a major movie "company" there are many indie films that are completely original and make it big.

«minah»

Post by «minah» » Jan 9th, '09, 03:27

Ochibi-san wrote:i think i saw the remake :o is that possible?
the movie was called devils diary and it was a diary where you could write names in and how they would die. if you did well then it happened and you had to give your soul to satan so i guess it's a lot like death note...

Just wikipedia it and it's actually a Canadian movie... not Hollywood.

Ochibi-san

Post by Ochibi-san » Jan 10th, '09, 09:12

«minah» wrote:
Ochibi-san wrote:i think i saw the remake :o is that possible?

Just wikipedia it and it's actually a Canadian movie... not Hollywood.
well it's still like death note so... they still used the story..

cutekid

Post by cutekid » Jan 10th, '09, 09:29

they'll do a remake?

that's nice to know. i hope they do justice with the story...

this will be exciting...

Karate-ka

Post by Karate-ka » Jan 10th, '09, 09:32

Canadian? well that something new i hope its diffrent then those mainstream movies. then...

ManUTD4ever

Post by ManUTD4ever » Jan 13th, '09, 11:09

Remaking the film as in using a full Asian cast???

ramz7887

Post by ramz7887 » Jan 14th, '09, 10:26

One thing to consider to is that everyone here probably has watched the original movie and or anime. Of course people will like it better than the American remake since you all have seen the originals. I am not saying that the American version will not be any good its just that It will not have the same allure the first time you watched it.

When ever I watch a Japanese show or anime in its original context I can not stand watching it dubbed it just doesn't work. But if I've first watched it Dubbed and I thought it was good I like the original even better.

ramz7887

Post by ramz7887 » Jan 14th, '09, 10:33

br4nd0n wrote:Hollywood only copies things that has the potential to make them more money. (because of its success)
Anime and manga get movies in Japan (and tv series) and it's popular here, so of course an American version would be made by Hollywood.
people hate when they remake old classics, heck ever heard of My Fair Lady? Guess what they are remaking it.
Before you say there is nothing from Americans that is original please check out the past and search the roots of THE INTERNET.
There are a lot of good movies from Japan, and the US, and China, and Bollywood, and France, etc. so singling out a whole country is plain lunacy. I might add that Hollywood is just a major movie "company" there are many indie films that are completely original and make it big.
Another thing to consider too is that since anime and manga are very small in the US in comparison to Japan, it makes since that only the most popular and profitable shows would even catch the eye of US companies or other major producers. If its not going to work in Japan there isn't a chance is going to work out side of its home country.

yukino2002

Post by yukino2002 » Feb 2nd, '09, 22:47

Karate-ka wrote:
lomsie wrote:
There is a is difference, the point is those drama's are kept in asia and are not shown outside those country's except if your counting the internet with it...

Yes Japanese does copies music but again ist for theire own not for the world...

This whole remake thing, made it looks that hollywood is brainwashing the world...

LIke i said before people until now still thinks movies like, RING,GRUDGE,ONE MISSED CALL and THE EYE. Are originated from America.

And sometimes even i got the feeling that some people thinks that the Japanese is Making theire own remake of POWER RANGER while its obvious its the other way around.
So, your argument is that it's okay for the Americans to do remakes as long as they are kept in America? I think it's the consumers' responsibility to know what they want to know. If they aren't knowledgeable enough to know which movies were borrowed from other cultures then it's not Hollywoods' fault. It's arguable that Hollywood is making it for the US audience, but if other English speaking audiences from other nationalities are interested in their version, then they aren't going to object to more sales. I believe with some of the other opinions here that countries are constantly copying from each other, taking material that they like and making it their own, more relevant for their own people. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

Back to the main topic though, I am a huge fan of Death Note, but I haven't yet seen the live-action movies. I am not especially supportive of an American remake of the Japanese movie because I too believe that it won't make the cross-cultural transition very well. But we'll see if Hollywood proves me wrong.

WeDwellNForever

Post by WeDwellNForever » Feb 13th, '09, 23:09

"Re-makes are just the way of the world." What is wrong with you people? If people would stop paying to see them then obviously "the age of the re-make" would be over. For me, there have only been two instances where the re-make was better. The first is Pulse. The original seemed very drawn out and they didn't even try to explain why only the red tape would work, unless it was lost in translation somewhere. The american re-make was paced very well and the explanation for the red tape was believable, to me anyway. The second is The Manchurian Candidate. Both the original and the re-make were boring as hell, but since the original is an older movie the advances in technology and medicine made the re-make's story a little more believable.

Hating America and its people because Hollywood is choosing to re-make a bunch of asian movies right now makes you no better than the racist bastards who will not watch the original movie. If you really want to be compared to them go ahead and keep hating the whole country.

Shinigami777

Post by Shinigami777 » Feb 17th, '09, 21:20

Believe me, I wouldn't pay to see a US remake of Death Note. I've seen Death Note, and it works just fine the way it is. no need to go Americanizing it. More often than not something gets 'lost in translation' in the conversion from one culture to another, and my guess is the same thing is gonna happen here. I mean, they'll probably do away with any sense of thrills and tension for the sake of jump scares and bland acting.

Not to mention if they tackle the Shinigami, it'll probably probably have less to do with CGI and more with people in elaborate make up. Although, for my money, I think the person who could pull off being a fleshed out Shinigami would be Doug Jones of 'Hellboy' and 'Pan's Labyrinth' fame.

still, I find the idea of a US remake of 'Death Note' utterly appalling. There are plenty other great ideas out there, you don't need to filcher already well established ideas just for the sake of an American audience. besides, American audiences prefer the Japanese version anyway.

Archaenon

Post by Archaenon » Feb 17th, '09, 21:30

It's probably going to be just as bad as the Japanese one. *cough*
I really dislike that story , it's such a neat concept and idea , I'm not sure how they could make it any more boring then it already is.

kittykhatz20

Post by kittykhatz20 » Feb 17th, '09, 21:47

I'll watch it... to compare... i mean it could either be good or bad... we can't really say unless you've actually seen it...

I know that there have been a lot of epic failures when it comes to US remakes but then again people can always try and honestly... Even japanese peeps and other asian countries for that matter copy concepts from other countries so... it's not entirely all original all the time...

i mean seriously... Did rock and hiphop originate from Asia... it didn't but we embraced it as it were our own and fused it with what is natively ours... so I'll watch it just for the heck of comparing... if its good then it's a success if it ain't well... it's a waste of production money...

«minah»

Post by «minah» » Feb 19th, '09, 03:35

The JPN movie wasn't really all that great and the only actor that did that move some justice was Matsuyama Kenichi. People keep saying that it's gonna be all different because it's gonna be Americanized. Hey, do people think the Death Note movie was EXACTLY like the manga or anime? Absolutely not. Remakes always changes something from the original. And some people are gonna automatically say it's gonna be bad because they're so obsessed with DN (almost all the anime people at my college love Death Note, and usually only like anime they see on TV and make it into a big hype and think it's the most awesome thing in the world, being ignorant to all other shows/manga that aren't shown and don't explore into it and I bet they claim they are fans of Nightmare because they sing the songs for the show [sorry rant kinda])

But yeah, a friend told me if you just watch something just to watch it and don't have any expectations, then you'll probably enjoy it a lot. Don't go in the theater having all of these high expectation if/when it comes out. Because all you're gonna do is compare, and say "well, it should have had this and that and where's so-and-so?" and you won't have time to <i>actually</i> enjoy the movie. It may not be as bad as you think if you don't analyze it.

groink

Post by groink » Feb 19th, '09, 03:45

Shinigami777 wrote: besides, American audiences prefer the Japanese version anyway.
Most Americans who will be watching this movie don't even know where Japan is. And, they will never know the origins of the story. Do some cultural research before making a bold statement like this. Japanophile comments like this.... What a joke!

--- groink

kgobea

Post by kgobea » Feb 19th, '09, 04:30

you cant say that americans are copycats....asian countries remake american things also.....[change subject] my girl is a korean drama but now theres the phillipine version; i dont hear anyone bashing them!

having said that [lol] i dont think the american version will be all that great....every time someone tries to remake a really good movie it never turns out very well.

this is different but i absolutely hate the eng dub version of The Prince of Tennis anime that they show on Cartoon Network...I would rather them show the eng sub version, its a lot better.

i hope i made my point and didnt confuse you too much ;)

Alpedra

Post by Alpedra » Feb 27th, '09, 13:59

Archaenon wrote:It's probably going to be just as bad as the Japanese one. *cough*
I really dislike that story , it's such a neat concept and idea , I'm not sure how they could make it any more boring then it already is.
Ahhhhh.. great to know I´m not the only one who thinks that way. :cheers:

kuro570

Post by kuro570 » Feb 27th, '09, 14:08

I have to agree with «minah», the movie wasn't that good at least not compared to the anime. They took away all the music that added to the feel and tension of it, on top of that I didn't like the switch up of certain characters replacing some of the male cops with female and certain memorable scenes from the anime. Other than that the girl that likes Kira was freaking hawt in the goth clothes! Well I have to give them one thing... the ending was actually better than the anime version lol

Nukemarine

Post by Nukemarine » Mar 4th, '09, 02:28

Well, you could say that they're not remaking Death Note: The Movie. They're making a US version of the manga called Death Note. There should be nothing wrong with re-interpretations of source material. We've had many different Shakespeare, Dracula and Sherlock Holmes re-imaginings. None were called remakes of the movies made before them.

Personally, Death Note and 20th Century Boys movies were horrendous interpretations of the mangas. So, if the US movie industry can put together a better interpretation I'm all for it.

That said, for those that hate "remakes", when the do remake a movie, they do not come to your house and destroy all your copies of the original. It's still there unwatched on your hard drive or video shelf. Stop getting uppity. If it's superior, it'll still be there when the new one comes and goes.

rhivz

Post by rhivz » Dec 25th, '09, 09:21

US version??
hmm..
i don't know..

but i like L in the original version..ehe
he's so cute.. what's his real name??
I think it would be difficult to find US actors who would fit his role and still look cute..eh

try to read this blog about L's food guide pyramid..it's so funny..ehe..
http://rhivz-happydreamer.blogspot.com/ ... -note.html

goygakgoy

Post by goygakgoy » Dec 27th, '09, 06:04

I love the live action japanese movie. That was my first exposure to Death Note so I had no expectations. Plus, I love live action, especially cute girls. The American one will be good, but I don't think non-Japanese or non-Anime fans can understand a story like that, so it's just gonna be a movie that come and good. Japanese Death Note live action, anime, and manga will be memorable for decades to come. I won't see the death note American one though...cuz for me, Japanese is better.

«minah»

Post by «minah» » Jan 3rd, '10, 04:30

rhivz wrote:US version??
hmm..
i don't know..

but i like L in the original version..ehe
he's so cute.. what's his real name??
I think it would be difficult to find US actors who would fit his role and still look cute..eh

try to read this blog about L's food guide pyramid..it's so funny..ehe..
Matsuyama Kenichi... my first time seeing him was in NANA as Shin!

rhivz

Post by rhivz » Jan 3rd, '10, 07:32

«minah» wrote: Matsuyama Kenichi... my first time seeing him was in NANA as Shin!
hmm...i found out that he was actually the senpai in 1 liter of tears..well maybe that's the first time i really saw him.. i didn't recognize him there..

he was much cuter in deathnote..

nana?? i haven't watch that..is it nice??

Karate-ka

Post by Karate-ka » Jan 3rd, '10, 17:23

The problem with remakes is the race isues, people could accept the Japanese version spiderman(old tv show) is just a Japanese version. Everyone knows the original the character is white. But not the other way around, when white people see a anime they think they are supposed to be white. While its not, the fact they are stylized as white doesnt mean they are.

Hey Say Jump is in their manga is stylized as white people in their manga, if people dont do research firs they gonna say they are white.