What is considered pretty/beautiful in asia?

Discuss about anything here that doesn't fit in the other categories. Just don't spam.
babiiekitkat

What is considered pretty/beautiful in asia?

Post by babiiekitkat » Oct 13th, '06, 20:15

I was just wondering...what is considered to be beautiful or pretty in Japan/Korea/Thailand/Phillipines..etc? Because I recently went to a forum where they said Zhang Ziyi isn't pretty :blink ...and I happen to think she's very pretty :scratch:

maddog

Post by maddog » Oct 14th, '06, 03:34

It depends on the culture and generation...

Traditional Chinese feminine ideal envisions a person with an oval face shaped like a watermelon seed, large eyes, and small mouth. The old cartoon character Betty Boob would be a close western equivalent. Zhang Ziyi certainly doesn’t fit that description. However, she’s extremely beautiful by most people’s standards.

People in Taiwan have a preference to pale skin. It is common to see girls with open umbrellas on sunny days to avoid tans.

Judging from tv and Jpop, I’d say the Japanese are attracted to girls with symmetrical baby-face features. Everything and everyone has to be kawaii, kawaii, kawaii.

berserk

Re: What is considered pretty/beautiful in asia?

Post by berserk » Oct 14th, '06, 04:23

babiiekitkat wrote:I was just wondering...what is considered to be beautiful or pretty in Japan/Korea/Thailand/Phillipines..etc? Because I recently went to a forum where they said Zhang Ziyi isn't pretty :blink ...and I happen to think she's very pretty :scratch:
Read it from a forum eh? In that case, don't take the comments too seriously. Her beauty may not be to everyone's liking but I think the majority of people (Asian or not) would consider her good-looking.
People in Taiwan have a preference to pale skin. It is common to see girls with open umbrellas on sunny days to avoid tans.
Girls also wear those sun visors that resemble welding masks. I think they even have a preference for guys with pale skin.

babiiekitkat

Re: What is considered pretty/beautiful in asia?

Post by babiiekitkat » Oct 14th, '06, 05:33

Girls also wear those sun visors that resemble welding masks. I think they even have a preference for guys with pale skin.
Seriously? Wow people must go to certain extremes to be pale >_< funny how most people in the west would rather be tan and those in the east would rather be pale :P

chsaf

Post by chsaf » Oct 16th, '06, 15:17

beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder... so i think this topic is a bit on the objective side? no real answers can be found =p haha

Néa Vanille
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Néa Vanille » Oct 16th, '06, 15:24

Korean people seem to like,

- Kim Tae Hee
- Song Hye Kyo
- Daniel Henney
- Lee Jun Ki
- white people, especially female Russian tennis players, blonde women in general, Jessica Alba (very popular in Korea!) and male models with piercing blue eyes.

This is all judging from the posters and advertisements I saw in Korea.

Genmai_cha

Post by Genmai_cha » Oct 16th, '06, 16:05

Visors like these? http://www.flickr.com/photos/vonvonvon/250824246/

I'm not a fan of them...

If you ask me what I think of Zhang Ziyi... she is just alright nothing to be fancy about. I think it is just a fact that ppl are just more aware of her since she is in the spotlight.

mimmi

Post by mimmi » Oct 16th, '06, 20:56

I still agree with chsaf; "beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder" and ofcourse he/she has to have natural beautiful eyebrows, not penciled ones....guys has to be tall, dark and handsome....well, not too many tall asian guys, but as long as they are taller than the girls :lol....

Silvestre
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Silvestre » Oct 16th, '06, 21:39

zhang ziyi isnt that beautiful...that other girl is and shes also chinese...i think her name is crystal lin...for jap. girls, aragaki yui is beautiful...for korean, choi jiwoo and kim tae hee...but ji woo could look way older than she actually does most of the time...

groink

Post by groink » Oct 16th, '06, 21:58

Is this just about women? Many women I've heard from think Tiger Woods is an ugly mo-fo. To me he looks Thai more than anything else, but I don't think he's ugly. His body shape is pretty strange by my own standard. I saw him in-person back in January. He's got very broad, strong shoulders, and a pair of SKINNY pencil-like legs.

--- groink

mimmi

Post by mimmi » Oct 16th, '06, 22:38

@ groink.... :lol, that's just so funny....you said pencil legs, but I called them chicken legs :lol....

berserk

Post by berserk » Oct 17th, '06, 02:52

groink wrote:Is this just about women? Many women I've heard from think Tiger Woods is an ugly mo-fo. To me he looks Thai more than anything else, but I don't think he's ugly. His body shape is pretty strange by my own standard. I saw him in-person back in January. He's got very broad, strong shoulders, and a pair of SKINNY pencil-like legs.

--- groink
I think Tiger has predominantly Asian features except for his lips, hair, and skin-tone. He is actually more Asian than African-American, being 1/4 Thai and 1/4 Chinese (and only 1/4 African-American). When asked by a sports magazine sometime ago what race he bubbles in for those standardized questionnaire forms, etc..., he answered "Asian." It's funny how the Black community always accuses Tiger of shunning them when he identifies more with his Asian roots. His compact, chiseled body shape is perfectly-suited for swinging a golf club. He is also very strong; the guy can bench press 300 lbs.

bugsie

Post by bugsie » Oct 17th, '06, 04:02

He is also very strong; the guy can bench press 300 lbs.
wtf, I get muscle pains exercising with 4 lbs. dumbbells.

maddog

Post by maddog » Oct 17th, '06, 17:40

chsaf wrote:
beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder... so i think this topic is a bit on the objective side? no real answers can be found =p haha
And that’s what I tell myself when I see other people's girlfriends & wives :whistling:

But seriously, beauty is more than physical. There are many fine-looking Celebrities (names intentionally withheld) that do uncanny impressions of walking mannequins. And there are as many average-looking ones who enhance their beauty with thier playful/loveable persona.

Whether that persona is genuine or not is irrelevant. (People are very different on/off camera.) The important thing is they have the ability to create a unique impression that transcends their visual appearance. It is an important aspect of beauty that shouldn’t be overlooked.

nikochanr3

Post by nikochanr3 » Oct 17th, '06, 20:24

i think different people care about different things. its funny my wife never was considered the pretty one of her group, but for me she was easily the first person i gravitated toward. (She has been told she looks like Natsumi Abe...) What the japanese guys i know consider pretty / hot and what i do don't match SO often that its really strange. i guess cultural diferences.

waqar

Post by waqar » Oct 17th, '06, 20:50

Always remember "All That Glisters Is Not Gold".
As i mentioned in one of my other post, all girls are beautiful in One Way Or Another.

Carrying good feature do not make a person beautiful, there a lot of different factors which make person beautiful or pretty.

I see my wife prettiest lady in the world :whistling: .

SilverHanyou5791

Post by SilverHanyou5791 » Jan 7th, '09, 18:55

I am asian, so I can say this from experience... Asian people tend to condsider people who look the most caucasian to be beautiful. They tend to think people who have big eyes, pale skin, sharp high nose, and chiseled features to be beautiful in both men and women. Also, "a little meat" for the west is FAT for the asian culture. (I know this for a fact because here in Canada people always say "omgash you're so skinny" "you're anorexic" "got eat some fries"... and when I went back to my homecountry for a vacation... everyone said I let myself go and that I was fat... hahahha

msles59130

Post by msles59130 » Feb 10th, '09, 01:06

The caucasian thing must be it. Because the guys in Hana Yori Dongo were not at all attractive, unless you are giving them points for not looking at all asian. As an American, who sees caucasian people every day, I can let you know that these guys would barely pass for decent looking here. But whatever. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

liebe911

Post by liebe911 » Feb 15th, '09, 15:57

I think beauty is something that take the shape with a human mind's desire and passion so It has different concepts with different people.

kevkaho

Post by kevkaho » Feb 15th, '09, 16:11

beauty has no definition... wat u think is wat u get... applies to every individual on this planet... i think everyone will define beauty with their own minds... so it doesn't matter where u are from...

infundibuliform

Post by infundibuliform » Feb 25th, '09, 03:44

I think this is an interesting topic, but...I guess this is only my pet peeve when a topic like this comes up. When people say things like "It's not all outer beauty. Personality counts...."

Yeah. This isn't an inner beauty thread. It's pretty clear this was meant to be an outer appearance thread. It's universally accepted to kick someone to the curb if their personality is crap.

(I don't want this to offend anyone. I just hate it when people give BS answers like that.)

But anyway...I found all the guys in HYD attractive except for the one that dated older woman. I suppose he was the least Asian looking one, too. haha

kittykhatz20

Post by kittykhatz20 » Feb 25th, '09, 06:26

i agree with SilverHanyou5791in asia they like skinny people with really pale skin.... and preferably someone who looks half asian and half european or american.

Most people like what they don't have.... like most Caucasians would like a tan, most asian people would do anything to get lighter skin.

sumire_chan

Post by sumire_chan » Feb 25th, '09, 15:51

msles59130 wrote:The caucasian thing must be it. Because the guys in Hana Yori Dongo were not at all attractive, unless you are giving them points for not looking at all asian. As an American, who sees caucasian people every day, I can let you know that these guys would barely pass for decent looking here. But whatever. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
What?!! :scratch:
So you think Matsuda Shota looks not at all Asian? To me he is gorgeous and very Japanese looking.
I'll give you that Matsujun and Oguri Shun are both objectively a bit weird looking by any standard, but in an inexplicably beautiful way. They're both really charismatic and wear their looks very well.
infundibuliform wrote:But anyway...I found all the guys in HYD attractive except for the one that dated older woman. I suppose he was the least Asian looking one, too. haha
Haha me too. Akira was the least attractive of the HYD guys. I was trying to get my friend into wanting to watch the drama, and so we were looking at pictures of the cast, and my friend thought Akira was the hottest! I was like... sorry what?! Eye of the beholder indeed.

liebe911

Post by liebe911 » Feb 25th, '09, 16:22

It depends totally on the outlook of the person and the culture in which they are born, Its all together a personal opinion, I may find a girl beautiful while another person would hate the same girl.